PDA

View Full Version : Misc Rodents, damned rodents!

Lonewolf Ed
09-23-2014, 01:37 AM
Members of the Planet, I need your help. As many of you know, I am battling cancer. I need my sleep. Some rather large sounding rodents have been running along making racket between the ceiling in my room and the floor above it. Aside from burning down the house or getting out my .22 rifle and emptying a clip in the ceiling, WHAT can I do to get those bastards out of here?! I read that those sonic rodent repellers are a load of crap, so what options are there for me? Are any of you experienced with pest control or removal? I prefer the deaths of the rodents to be rid of them, but any suggestions will be appreciated. :cuss:

OldSchool
09-23-2014, 01:55 AM
Get pest control to poison bomb the entire building?

Valiant
09-23-2014, 02:26 AM
Pay to have them trapped. Or trap them yourself.

Lonewolf Ed
09-23-2014, 02:37 AM
Pay to have them trapped. Or trap them yourself.

I think I will be going to the hardware store for some rat traps and will put them in the ceiling where I can access it via the panels and see what happens. They are still running around back and forth and it is now past 3:30 am. :#

Lonewolf Ed
09-23-2014, 02:38 AM
Get pest control to poison bomb the entire building?

I'll have to sleep in a tent if they do that.

SPchief
09-23-2014, 02:41 AM
Bait/stick traps

Rasputin
09-23-2014, 03:49 AM
7th post in and no one mentioned the all proven Anti-freeze? Oly chit Chiefs Planet is slipping.

Mike in SW-MO
09-23-2014, 05:26 AM
Members of the Planet, I need your help. As many of you know, I am battling cancer. I need my sleep. Some rather large sounding rodents have been running along making racket between the ceiling in my room and the floor above it. Aside from burning down the house or getting out my .22 rifle and emptying a clip in the ceiling, WHAT can I do to get those bastards out of here?! I read that those sonic rodent repellers are a load of crap, so what options are there for me? Are any of you experienced with pest control or removal? I prefer the deaths of the rodents to be rid of them, but any suggestions will be appreciated. :cuss:

In high school I used to shove my sister's cat up in the drop-down ceiling then listen to the pandemonium ensue. Lot's of fun, but probably would not help in getting sleep.

Dartgod
09-23-2014, 07:24 AM
http://dreamlandpublications.com/bmz_cache/1/15ac547e2845e7cbf842b95d43439b63.image.160x207.jpg

Lonewolf Ed
09-23-2014, 07:31 AM
http://dreamlandpublications.com/bmz_cache/1/15ac547e2845e7cbf842b95d43439b63.image.160x207.jpg

YES! I was too tired and enraged to think of this in the wee hours! My arm is a bit sore, too. I jumped out of bed, swore at the swine-vermin, and smashed my fist and forearm into the ceiling. It only made the rodent stop for about 10 seconds, though.

Lonewolf Ed
09-23-2014, 07:32 AM
In high school I used to shove my sister's cat up in the drop-down ceiling then listen to the pandemonium ensue. Lot's of fun, but probably would not help in getting sleep.

If I had a cat or even saw a passing stray, I'd be tamping his ass up in there like a musket ball.

Lonewolf Ed
09-23-2014, 07:33 AM
7th post in and no one mentioned the all proven Anti-freeze? Oly chit Chiefs Planet is slipping.

What else would I put on a bait trap but the oft-mentioned elixir?

Randallflagg
09-23-2014, 07:39 AM
I would bet that it is squirrels. My Cousin had the same problem. We went looking at his roof and the little bastards had went in a small hole between the flashing and the corner. We weren't absolutely sure that was where they were going in and out until I happened to spot one. It's fall, they are looking to stow away for the winter.

He put one of those large "pest repellant" noise makers (Lowes) in the attic to run them out - we covered the hole and, for the fun of it, put glue traps around the hole. Caught two within 24 hours.

He's had no problems since.

First thing - find out where the hell they are getting in at.

Radar Chief
09-23-2014, 07:41 AM
If they’re running around in your attic they’re probably squirrels.
If that’s the case you need to find where they’re getting in and block it, usually a hole in the soffit somewhere.
Traps, don’t poison. At least I wouldn’t want a bunch of squirrel sized corpses up there smelling the house up.
This is the time of year for critters like that to start looking for a warm spot to winter in so spreading moth balls around is a good idea too.

Radar Chief
09-23-2014, 07:43 AM
I would bet that it is squirrels. My Cousin had the same problem. We went looking at his roof and the little bastards had went in a small hole between the flashing and the corner. We weren't absolutely sure that was where they were going in and out until I happened to spot one. It's fall, they are looking to stow away for the winter.

He put one of those large "pest repellant" noise makers (Lowes) in the attic to run them out - we covered the hole and, for the fun of it, put glue traps around the hole. Caught two within 24 hours.

ROFL Beat by that >< much. :thumb:

Lonewolf Ed
09-23-2014, 07:44 AM

The thing is, it doesn't sound like squirrels. It's too scampery and not hoppy as squirrels tend to be. I did see a few outside this morning, so maybe I will get the BB rifle out and see if I can whack a few. They do steal mercilessly from my fruit trees, so if nothing else, I might run the thieves off by next spring so I can enjoy more of my peaches, pears, and apples. I put a lot of work in digging and planting my fruit trees.

Hog's Gone Fishin
09-23-2014, 07:50 AM
They make snap traps that are plastic which work great. You don't have to touch the rodent to clean it out and resets with a pinch of your fingers. I use these when one infiltrates my house. Bait the trip pan with peanut butter and you'll have him within the hour. Guaranteed !

Randallflagg
09-23-2014, 07:54 AM
The thing is, it doesn't sound like squirrels. It's too scampery and not hoppy as squirrels tend to be. I did see a few outside this morning, so maybe I will get the BB rifle out and see if I can whack a few. They do steal mercilessly from my fruit trees, so if nothing else, I might run the thieves off by next spring so I can enjoy more of my peaches, pears, and apples. I put a lot of work in digging and planting my fruit trees.

That's the thing - when he called me over to listen to them in the attic - I didn't think "squirrel" either. It sounded like mice to me. But lo and behold - it was squirrels. The little bastards surprised me. There was a very small hole that they were coming in and out of - and I wouldn't have noticed but I happened to look up and saw one going in the hole. Once he ran them out of the attic (again - you really don't want dead squirrels in the attic - stinks) and we plugged the hole - that was the end of it. He did, later, put out traps to get the remaining one or two and ended up catching them and releasing them about 5 miles from his home.

Chiefnj2
09-23-2014, 07:55 AM
An exterminator friend told me to always use poison. Rodents reproduce too quickly for traps to be effective.

Reerun_KC
09-23-2014, 07:58 AM
this place is slipping... The only solution Ed...

http://hd4desktop.com/images/b/1920x1080_nuke-mushroom-cloud-tactical-HD-Wallpaper.jpg

Buehler445
09-23-2014, 08:39 AM
I wouldn't poison them. They'll die and stink.

If you trap them, mix peanut butter and honey. I've seen better results by adding honey.

If you find the species you can dial in how to eradicate them. I'm a big fan of rozal.

Fish
09-23-2014, 09:24 AM
What you need is a giant snake....

Radar Chief
09-23-2014, 09:52 AM
Leave some rotting fruit out for them. They love that shit.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/1YJkAABmO9w" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

58-4ever
09-23-2014, 11:41 AM
I like the good ole snap traps myself. A good quick death and you don't have to worry about your animals eating a poisoned animal. And if you don't have animals, you don't have to worry about finding the smelly dead bodies somewhere.

Lonewolf Ed
09-23-2014, 08:59 PM
I have glue traps that have some sort of peanut butter smelling stuff on them set in the ceiling, so I hope to dispatch some rodent intruders tonight! I need my sleep, blast it all. Fighting cancer takes up most of my energy.

Smed1065
09-23-2014, 09:17 PM

Squirrels are not active at 3 am. Daylight only.

Rats or mice.

Trap, no poison as mentioned due to smell.

Mice are caught easy and quick-usually within hours dues to curiosity. Rats more cautious and wait for the trap to be in the same place a while.

Take 2-3 days usually.

Rain Man
09-23-2014, 09:19 PM
I wouldn't poison them. They'll die and stink.

If you trap them, mix peanut butter and honey. I've seen better results by adding honey.

If you find the species you can dial in how to eradicate them. I'm a big fan of rozal.

When I was in graduate school, my wife and I had an apartment near some woods and a creek and stuff. It was very nice, but we were on a steep hill so there was a huge crawl space under our apartment, and at some point a family of raccoons moved in.

For the most part they weren't a problem. They would scratch the bottom of the bathtub for some reason, which was a little creepy, and at one point I saw a pair of eyes in our heat vent. It was getting a little much, so our neighbors and we told the building manager.

I don't know if he put out poison or if it was a coincidence, but we think one of them died somewhere in the walls of our neighbor's apartment. Raccoons are not small creatures, and the smell was so horrifically bad that the building finally moved them out and gave them a different apartment. No one could center in on where the smell was coming from. By the time we moved out, they were still trying to figure out where the body was without removing all of the drywall in the apartment to find it.

Chiefshrink
09-23-2014, 10:03 PM
little dishes of anti-freeze all over your house or de-con poison pellets. Always works well assuming they are not accessible to small kids or pets.

Mennonite
09-23-2014, 10:15 PM
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/YTKNahASSDI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>