PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Keeping Our Linebacking Trio Intact

HIChief
09-23-2014, 07:04 AM
Announcers made mention at least once of the impending departure of Tamba Hali next season as Dee Ford is the heir apparent. Just wondering; does that necessarily have to be the case? Couldn't we find a way to keep and use all three-Hali, Houston, and Ford? Would it make dollars and sense, or not? :hmmm:

jd1020
09-23-2014, 07:09 AM
Houston isn't getting paid without the departure of Hali.

The_Hound
09-23-2014, 07:10 AM
Hali getting older, he's been great but you need to stay young to be competitive. It's about the dollars. I'd rather keep Houston, if it came down to a choice.

Spending that money on Alex didn't help either.

chiefzilla1501
09-23-2014, 07:33 AM
Announcers made mention at least once of the impending departure of Tamba Hali next season as Dee Ford is the heir apparent. Just wondering; does that necessarily have to be the case? Couldn't we find a way to keep and use all three-Hali, Houston, and Ford? Would it make dollars and sense, or not? :hmmm:
I'd like to keep Hali at the right price. But by November of next year, we will have a 32 year old speed rusher getting paid 14 mil. I have a feeling someone will pay the moon for those twilight years and I don't want the Chiefs to be one of those teams.

Sandy Vagina
09-23-2014, 07:41 AM
Hali would have to have the burning desire to stay in KC.. by taking a huge pay-cut.

If they did keep him and still want Ford on the field? I'd say go to a 4-3 Under scheme.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(never going to happen, but it's fun to think on it)

Install Hali as the uncovered DT in the 3 tech. Maybe Catapano can get past the ebola to backup there.

Ford would be the uncovered DE next to him on the weak side.

Poe a great fit at the 1 tech DT.

Bailey/Walker/Vickerson at the 5 tech DE.

Houston of course at the 9 tech as the SAM.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Probably have to get a really good safety and LB to add to.. but they needed that anyway.

Here's a quick read on this 4-3 Under: http://www.battleredblog.com/2009/7/23/958892/a-very-brief-introduction-the-4-3

Hog's Gone Fishin
09-23-2014, 07:52 AM
Did you watch Jared Allen last night. Playing for a paycheck . No motivation at all. This is what Hali will be in the very near future.

OldSchool
09-23-2014, 08:32 AM
If we want to keep Hali, he needs to take a Suggs-like extension.

Perineum Ripper
09-23-2014, 08:36 AM
I don't know if this would work or not..but put Hali with his hand in the dirt and put Ford in his position and Houston stays in his spot..with Poe and whoever else down on the line too

Direckshun
09-23-2014, 09:13 AM
We COULD restructure Hali, if Hali wanted to play for, let's say, $8m or $9m a year.

Instead, he will want what he deserves, which is what he'll be getting next year. The Chiefs could (and probably will) cut him, and you just know the Falcons will be knocking on his door the second we do.

kc79
09-23-2014, 09:18 AM

Would Houston get paid with the departure of Bowe? Who's cap is higher next year? Thought I read something about Bowe's contract no longer being guaranteed after his suspension

Hammock Parties
09-23-2014, 09:19 AM
Hali had one of the great careers of all time here.

Time to say goodbye.

Dante84
09-23-2014, 09:22 AM
Could it come down to cutting Bowe to keep Hali?

If so, I'd be okay with that, so long as we make moves to get new WR's in the mix.

Hammock Parties
09-23-2014, 09:56 AM

If so, I'd be okay with that, so long as we make moves to get new WR's in the mix.

There's nothing wrong with Bowe.

You're going to be disappointed in ANY WR we bring in for one simple reason: Alex Smith.

RealSNR
09-23-2014, 10:00 AM

You're going to be disappointed in ANY WR we bring in for one simple reason: Alex Smith.

Derka durrrr I just want a receiver who can catch derka

Direckshun
09-23-2014, 10:05 AM

Cutting Bowe when you have nothing else at WR, to keep Hali, when you have two other starting-caliber OLBs.

Sounds like a Chiefs move.

Sweet Daddy Hate
09-23-2014, 10:58 AM
Derka durrrr I just want a receiver who can catch derka

LMAO

'Hamas' Jenkins
09-23-2014, 11:06 AM
You could easily accelerate Hali's money into a bonus and spread it out to where his cap hit isn't so prohibitive.

IMO, the team should move to a hybrid 4-3 with Poe playing both the 3 and 1 technique and Ford playing as a blitzing Sam like Miller. You could even slide Hali inside on passing downs.

temper11
09-23-2014, 11:32 AM

I'm disappointed in Bowe because he drops easy passes that hit him in the hands, jogs through routes, and generally doesn't seem to give a shit whether he plays well or not.

Those things have nothing to do with Smith.

WhiteWhale
09-23-2014, 11:33 AM

Hali will be in the final year of his contract. They could renegotiate and that could massively decrease the cap hit.

Teams keep the players they want to keep and let the ones walk they don't want bad enough. The cap is usually just an excuse when it comes to retaining players.

WhiteWhale
09-23-2014, 11:36 AM

Or maybe Bowe is just a guy who catches 55% of the passes in his direction and drops far too many easy 3rd downs to be worth the kind of money he's being paid.

The guy has never broken 1200 yards.

Josh Gordon had 1600 yards with rotating garbage at QB.

Some of you guys are delusional about the caliber of player Bowe is.

Chiefnj2
09-23-2014, 11:37 AM
Hali has earned the right to play with a playoff contender and enjoy a postseason victory. Not happening in KC anytime soon.

Hammock Parties
09-23-2014, 12:01 PM

And he'll never break 900 with Alex.

No WR has.

farmerchief
09-23-2014, 12:03 PM
If we were the Broncos we certainly could, as they never seem to have salary cap problems!:banghead:

CallMeSquidwad
09-23-2014, 12:30 PM
Hali would have to have the burning desire to stay in KC.. by taking a huge pay-cut.

If they did keep him and still want Ford on the field? I'd say go to a 4-3 Under scheme.
(never going to happen, but it's fun to think on it)

Install Hali as the uncovered DT in the 3 tech. Maybe Catapano can get past the ebola to backup there.

Ford would be the uncovered DE next to him on the weak side.

Poe a great fit at the 1 tech DT.

Bailey/Walker/Vickerson at the 5 tech DE.

Houston of course at the 9 tech as the SAM.
Probably have to get a really good safety and LB to add to.. but they needed that anyway.

Here's a quick read on this 4-3 Under: http://www.battleredblog.com/2009/7/23/958892/a-very-brief-introduction-the-4-3

:bang:....Raiduhs That's what I think of that idea. Shitty idea and I cannot believe this was suggested. There is a reason the NFL has been shifting away from a 4-3 over time yet because it's the flavor of the month due to the Seacox you think it's a genius suggestion. Our core has spent their whole careers in a 3-4 the last thing we need is a scheme change; although a coaching change would be nice on defense. I hate how much we rush; Sutton needs to study the Panthers or the Niners, or he could just watch how shitty Rex's defense did lastnight and realize his defense is a gimmick bullshit defense.

Dante84
09-23-2014, 12:42 PM
Or maybe Bowe is just a guy who catches 55% of the passes in his direction and drops far too many easy 3rd downs to be worth the kind of money he's being paid.

Josh Gordon had 1600 yards with rotating garbage at QB.

Some of you guys are delusional about the caliber of player Bowe is.

That was my point.

I mean, I can acknowledge its a total homer move to go with Hali over Bowe... but like, what has Bowe done well, consistently?

The guy is a super lazy piece of shit, who only helps us by being a guy that the Defense has to account for.

- venting

jd1020
09-23-2014, 12:54 PM
Bowe has 3 times the amount of dead money than Hali.

srvy
09-23-2014, 12:58 PM
I'm disappointed in Bowe because he drops easy passes that hit him in the hands, jogs through routes, and generally doesn't seem to give a shit whether he plays well or not.

Those things have nothing to do with Smith.

Yep
Whether we resign Hali or not I just want Bowe out of here. I hope the contract is void due to the suspension. It will make it so much easier. Draft your WR and hang onto the young receivers in house they like. Try to find a veteran in free agency.

Heck the Steelers signed 36 yo James (im no role model) Harrison out of retirement to try to get a little pass rush. Someone is going to pay handsomely for 34 yo Hali to get after the QB.

RealSNR
09-23-2014, 01:10 PM
Yep
Whether we resign Hali or not I just want Bowe out of here. I hope the contract is void due to the suspension. It will make it so much easier. Draft your WR and hang onto the young receivers in house they like. Try to find a veteran in free agency.

Heck the Steelers signed 36 yo James (im no role model) Harrison out of retirement to try to get a little pass rush. Someone is going to pay handsomely for 34 yo Hali to get after the QB.

:spock:

Hali is 30

Mr. Flopnuts
09-23-2014, 01:15 PM
The money doesn't make sense. I don't see Tamba walking away from millions and millions of dollars to stay in a shit market, that has zero national coverage, all so he can play for a team that's probably 30 games under .500 over his career here.

Direckshun
09-23-2014, 01:19 PM
The money doesn't make sense. I don't see Tamba walking away from millions and millions of dollars to stay in a shit market, that has zero national coverage, all so he can play for a team that's probably 30 games under .500 over his career here.

God that's depressing.

The Franchise
09-23-2014, 01:20 PM
You could easily accelerate Hali's money into a bonus and spread it out to where his cap hit isn't so prohibitive.

IMO, the team should move to a hybrid 4-3 with Poe playing both the 3 and 1 technique and Ford playing as a blitzing Sam like Miller. You could even slide Hali inside on passing downs.

This.

Dunerdr
09-23-2014, 01:37 PM
Shit I'd just like to see Houston be effective this season.

The Franchise
09-23-2014, 01:41 PM
Shit I'd just like to see Houston be effective this season.

srvy
09-23-2014, 01:42 PM

Hali is 30

Damn seems he has been here forever. Well then 30 is nothing Chiefs must have feelers out and know he wants the Sun and the Moon. Explains the Ford pick a little better.

Dunerdr
09-23-2014, 01:47 PM

Houston's been far from what he was this time last year....
Can we just play one of them at ilb our ilb core is less than stellar.

O.city
09-23-2014, 01:51 PM
Sep 22: Houston had a sack, two QB hits, a pass deflection, and three tackles (all solo) against the Dolphins on Sunday. Houston now has three sacks in his first three games, putting him on track to shatter his career-high total of 11, which he recorded in just 11 games last season.

The Franchise
09-23-2014, 01:52 PM
Sep 22: Houston had a sack, two QB hits, a pass deflection, and three tackles (all solo) against the Dolphins on Sunday. Houston now has three sacks in his first three games, putting him on track to shatter his career-high total of 11, which he recorded in just 11 games last season.

Nope...he sucks. He should have 80 sacks by now.

O.city
09-23-2014, 01:56 PM
Rookie rt though, doesn't count

OldSchool
09-23-2014, 02:16 PM
Hali won't be on the team next year and I think I would be ok with that. Why? He was never fast to begin with and he'll be even slower next season. He'll still be a productive 6-8 sack guy, but we need players who can apply pressure quickly with the poor secondary that we have.

HIChief
09-23-2014, 03:57 PM
Would Houston get paid with the departure of Bowe? Who's cap is higher next year? Thought I read something about Bowe's contract no longer being guaranteed after his suspension

Bowe; now there's a fellow that begs to be shown the exit door!

OldSchool
09-23-2014, 04:00 PM
Would you cut Bowe if there was a chance that we could steal Bryant away from Dallas?

HIChief
09-23-2014, 04:08 PM
Hali won't be on the team next year and I think I would be ok with that. Why? He was never fast to begin with and he'll be even slower next season. He'll still be a productive 6-8 sack guy, but we need players who can apply pressure quickly with the poor secondary that we have.

We're STILL going to have a poor secondary NEXT YEAR!? Where the hell do we get these GMs from!!!???

OldSchool
09-23-2014, 04:13 PM
We're STILL going to have a poor secondary NEXT YEAR!? Where the hell do we get these GMs from!!!???

Well, unless we have some major signings in FA or draft a 1st round DB, they're not going to be that much better. Of course, Cooper could always improve some more and Gaines might step it up next year.

Sean Smith played a very good game against the Phins.

Mr. Laz
09-23-2014, 04:18 PM
we could keep all 3 but i'm not sure that we should.

we are rebuilding and keeping Hali doesn't fit into a rebuild.

next year we begin the rebuild in earnest ... lots of veterans go.

should be a steaming pile of shit for the next 3 years.

only going to get worse before it gets better, if it gets better.

Sandy Vagina
09-23-2014, 04:18 PM
Would you cut Bowe if there was a chance that we could steal Bryant away from Dallas?

The way it's looking so far, I'd cut Bowe loose regardless. I get that KC doesn't have much at WR, so it seems crazy to cut him loose... but money is money.. and the dude (so far) is simply not worth keeping at a 15 mil cap hit. Add to that, KC opens up about 5 mil by releasing him.

KC can save about 3.5 mil by dumping the then 31 yr old Avery, and should do so.

Alex doesn't care who the WRs are, if they can run precise routes and be aggressive to the football. Even if other options can't do it any better, at least KC won't be throwing gobs of money to them to suck.

srvy
09-23-2014, 05:00 PM
Well, unless we have some major signings in FA or draft a 1st round DB, they're not going to be that much better. Of course, Cooper could always improve some more and Gaines might step it up next year.

Sean Smith played a very good game against the Phins.

Smith has played decent in all 3 games so far. I dont know if he got better or offensive coordinators saw something to salivate at more and forgot about him.

DeathByArrows
09-23-2014, 06:07 PM
Hali will be 31 by the end of the season, I'm unsure how much he would want and how many years he would want. But seeing as this will be his last chance to "cash in" it will be too long and too much and I am more than willing to let him walk(and have him settle on the inevitable two year deal from Oakland for more than his worth.)

pugsnotdrugs19
09-23-2014, 07:56 PM
We have 12 draft picks to come. Bowe is as expendable as a bad case of herpes.

He doesn't produce, and it's largely due to effort. This is the same guy who said he shows up in playoff games and ripped off 150 yards. He simply doesn't care otherwise.