PDA

View Full Version : Life Tip for Job Seekers

Rain Man
09-23-2014, 11:11 AM
Show up at your freakin' interview on time. Seriously. If you show up 45 minutes late to a JOB INTERVIEW, it makes a BAD IMPRESSION. I don't care if you missed your bus or overslept or had other things going on. I don't care at all.

There are no excuses for being late to a job interview. Zero. If you were pulling people out of a burning car en route to the interview, that's great and I commend you for it, but it only takes three minutes to pull people out of a burning car. You should have planned ahead to be within sight of the interview location an hour before your interview. You should still be on time, but with a slight aroma of burning rubber and a great story for me.

I guess possibly if you were on your way to an interview in Holland and you saw a dam breaking, and you put your finger in the dam, and it then took an hour for the dam repairers to show up, then that might be a feasible excuse since you saved countless lives. But I'd still want to see it on the news that evening, and I'd want to know that there were no other people around who could have switched fingers with you.

Here's how you go to a job interview:

1. Drive to the interview with plans to be there an hour early.
2. Walk to the front door of the place an hour early just to be sure you know where it is.
3. Go to the nearest coffee shop and check out the company's web site and come up with some good questions and talking points.
4. Show up 10 minutes early.

Sheesh. Humanity amazes me sometimes.

Dayze
09-23-2014, 11:12 AM
Did I get the job?

Iowanian
09-23-2014, 11:12 AM
5. Don't call and back out of your interview 1hr before your scheduled time, and then anticipate an interview when you re-apply a year later.

Iowanian
09-23-2014, 11:13 AM
6. Your potential employer doesn't have a bad girlfriend. You do. He doesn't care.
7. Don't answer a text while you are talking with a potential employer. Shut your phone off before entering.

loochy
09-23-2014, 11:14 AM
I deserve this job because I'm a person. Pay me. It doesn't matter what skills I have or how hard I work.

Also, raise my minimum wage to $20 an hour - because I deserve it.

The Franchise
09-23-2014, 11:14 AM
Don't "no show" to an interview. If you aren't going to go....fucking call and cancel ahead of time. Nothing pisses me off more than having to sit on a panel and waste an hour of my time because you decided to not show up.

The Franchise
09-23-2014, 11:15 AM
Don't swear in an interview. Had one guy drop F bombs the entire interview.

Eleazar
09-23-2014, 11:15 AM
Don't write on your resume that you know Microsoft Office. That's like telling me that you know how to use a telephone.

loochy
09-23-2014, 11:16 AM
Don't write on your resume that you know Microsoft Office. That's like telling me that you know how to use a telephone.

Is it? There are plenty of people that are woefully underskilled in that software suite.

WhawhaWhat
09-23-2014, 11:16 AM

Then don't put in the job requirements that the applicant needs to be proficient in Microsoft Office related products.

The Franchise
09-23-2014, 11:17 AM

I love that shit.

Me: What software do you have experience with and what level of proficiency are you at?

Interviewee: I know Microsoft Office.

Me: And?

Interviewee: Oh, I know Outlook, Word and Excel.

Me: :facepalm:

BigRedChief
09-23-2014, 11:17 AM
Don't put down was responsible for "X". What did you specifically accomplish and more importantly, how does that skill/experience translate to this job?

Bugeater
09-23-2014, 11:18 AM
Heh, that goes both ways. I had to wait 25 minutes for the guys to show up who were going to interview me when the property I was working at last year was being sold. I took that as a bad sign and ended up finding another job.

Halfcan

Did the motherfucker get the fucking job or what. ;)

KCUnited
Don't show a little thigh when you have a whole lot of thigh.

Rain Man

I had an interviewee once for a data analyst position, and she listed on her resume a class project where she had done a data analysis-oriented final project. (This was a new college graduate.) I asked her what software she had used to do the analysis, and she said, "Excel? Or maybe it was Access? I don't remember. It was one of those."

Pitt Gorilla
09-23-2014, 11:19 AM
Why have a poll if you're providing the answer(s) in the OP?

The Franchise
09-23-2014, 11:19 AM
Did the motherfucker get the fucking job or what. ;)

Yes, but only because I work for the government and we were fucking hard up for temporary employees at that time. AND I talked to him about it afterwards.

MagicHef
09-23-2014, 11:20 AM
I once showed up for an interview late. I had 2 interviews on the same day with the same company, 2 different divisions at 2 different locations. They chose the interview times, and I assumed that they would leave me enough time to get to my second interview on time. They didn't.

Rain Man
09-23-2014, 11:21 AM
Why have a poll if you're providing the answer(s) in the OP?

It's a rhetorical poll.

Mennonite
09-23-2014, 11:22 AM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/JFvujknrBuE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Bugeater
09-23-2014, 11:23 AM
I once showed up for an interview late. I had 2 interviews on the same day with the same company, 2 different divisions at 2 different locations. They chose the interview times, and I assumed that they would leave me enough time to get to my second interview on time. They didn't.
I had something similar happen once. I had an interview scheduled at 1 and another at 3. When I got to the first one I found out that the owner told everyone who called about the job to be there at 1, and there were about a dozen people there. Took over an hour for him to get to me and by the time I was done there was no way I was going to make it to the second one on time, so I didn't even bother going. Didn't like no-showing but that first guy pretty much screwed me.

The Franchise
09-23-2014, 11:23 AM
The correct answer to the question "what are some of your weaknesses" is not "I don't have any because I'm a perfectionist".

Halfcan
09-23-2014, 11:34 AM
Yes, but only because I work for the government and we were ****ing hard up for temporary employees at that time. AND I talked to him about it afterwards.

:D Put him on the phone with the asshole customers that want to talk to a "manager" he sounds like he would be perfect.

Customer- is this the manager?

Newguy- Yes fuckhead-what the fuck is your fucking problem-hurry up your wasting my fucking time you fucking fucktard fuckwad?

Customer- click

Mr. Flopnuts
09-23-2014, 11:35 AM
The correct answer to the question "what are some of your weaknesses" is not "I don't have any because I'm a perfectionist".

ROFL

58-4ever
09-23-2014, 11:37 AM
If you're late, you might as well save yourself the time and go to the bar because you're not getting the job that day.

WilliamTheIrish

You know the best interviewer I ever had, with the one of the top guys in his field at GE, the guy cussed up a storm.

58-4ever
If you're late, you might as well save yourself the time and go to the bar because you're not getting the job that day.

Unless you're in South America.... Apparently they are late for everything.

Rausch
:D Put him on the phone with the asshole customers that want to talk to a "manager" he sounds like he would be perfect.

Customer- is this the manager?

Newguy- Yes ****head-what the **** is your ****ing problem-hurry up your wasting my ****ing time you ****ing ****tard ****wad?

Customer- click

Sometimes I miss my old part time job.

The great thing was our phone at the Mom-n-pop pizza shop was pretty loud. Once the customer said some BS that was clearly not true (you put my pizza in the box upside down!) we had free reign. And we were not kind...:)

58-4ever
09-23-2014, 11:38 AM
You know the best interviewer I ever had, with the one of the top guys in his field at GE, the guy cussed up a storm.

He was interviewing you?

WilliamTheIrish
09-23-2014, 11:41 AM
He was interviewing you?

Yes. Top flight guy. Pretty much stunned me. And he had one of his subordinates there too. Was a great interview.

KC native
09-23-2014, 11:43 AM
Yes, don't be late.

But as someone who has had a disproportionate share of bullshit interviews.

Don't bring me in for an interview if:

1. You've already offered someone else the position. (had an interview that within 15 minutes of leaving, I received a call stating that they were surprised at how well I did in the interview but they had already offered the position to someone else and they had accepted that day).

2. Have zero intention of hiring me. I get it. I have a Hispanic surname. Even if I decline to self identify (which I do), it makes it easy for you to check the EEOC boxes. I've had at least 6-7 interviews where the interviewer has never seen my resume before I walked into the room. I've also been told more than once, "You know when you look at a resume and you get a mental picture of what that person looks like, well you're not what I pictured walking through the door. Those are the fun ones because I killed those interviews.

58-4ever
09-23-2014, 11:43 AM
Yes. Top flight guy. Pretty much stunned me. And he had one of his subordinates there too. Was a great interview.

I think that's OK. I'll sometimes throw in a few to break the ice if a candidate is super nervous. You just have to be careful and know your audience.

58-4ever
09-23-2014, 11:44 AM
Yes, don't be late.

1. You've already offered someone else the position. (had an interview that within 15 minutes of leaving, I received a call stating that they were surprised at how well I did in the interview but they had already offered the position to someone else and they had accepted that day).

2. Have zero intention of hiring me. I get it. I have a Hispanic surname. Even if I decline to self identify (which I do), it makes it easy for you to check the EEOC boxes. I've had at least 6-7 interviews where the interviewer has never seen my resume before I walked into the room. I've also been told more than once, "You know when you look at a resume and you get a mental picture of what that person looks like, well you're not what I pictured walking through the door. Those are the fun ones because I killed those interviews.

Do you mind if I ask what you do?

WilliamTheIrish
09-23-2014, 11:46 AM
I think that's OK. I'll sometimes throw in a few to break the ice if a candidate is super nervous. You just have to be careful and know your audience.

He wasn't breaking the ice. The guy had survived the corporate culture of The company for 30 years and wasn't shy about calling things as he saw them.

KC native
09-23-2014, 11:46 AM
Do you mind if I ask what you do?

Finance.

Munson
09-23-2014, 11:47 AM
Don't forget to wear pants.

KCUnited
09-23-2014, 11:49 AM
2. Have zero intention of hiring me.

We do this shit all the time for internals. Post the job company wide for HR purposes. It's really shitty and why I'll never apply for another internal position without having been mentored for it.

BWillie
09-23-2014, 11:50 AM
I think it's a sign you don't really want the job. I went to an interview one time late, and one of the reasons was because I didn't really care if I got that job or not. But if it was for a dream position, there's no way I would allow myself to be late.

Mennonite
09-23-2014, 11:53 AM
Don't forget to mention that you are the secret owner of a Cannabis Club.

Rasputin
09-23-2014, 11:55 AM
Had an interview for new job last Friday. I was on time and everything seemed great and I start next Monday. I gave the City a two weeks notice with a letter of resignation stating "Well Bye".

KC native
09-23-2014, 11:55 AM
Don't forget to mention that you are the secret owner of a Cannabis Club.

If you admit it then it is no longer a secret.

Mennonite
09-23-2014, 11:58 AM
If you admit it then it is no longer a secret.

....fuck it. I quit.

Rain Man
09-23-2014, 11:58 AM
I think it's a sign you don't really want the job. I went to an interview one time late, and one of the reasons was because I didn't really care if I got that job or not. But if it was for a dream position, there's no way I would allow myself to be late.

I really think that's what it is. I think it's their subconscious telling them that they should pursue their dreams instead of taking this job.

Rain Man
09-23-2014, 12:00 PM

After a review of the circumstances, I'll add this as an additional exception alongside the "finger in the dam" scenario.

Rain Man
09-23-2014, 12:02 PM
Heh, that goes both ways. I had to wait 25 minutes for the guys to show up who were going to interview me when the property I was working at last year was being sold. I took that as a bad sign and ended up finding another job.

Oh, yeah. It goes both ways. There's not much excuse for the interviewer being late, assuming that there's someone else in the company who could stand in if he/she is tied up with a client or some other top-priority thing.

Dave Lane
09-23-2014, 12:06 PM
I had an interviewee once for a data analyst position, and she listed on her resume a class project where she had done a data analysis-oriented final project. (This was a new college graduate.) I asked her what software she had used to do the analysis, and she said, "Excel? Or maybe it was Access? I don't remember. It was one of those."

My favorite was a 8 page hand written resume written on Big Chief Tablet. From a former IBM executive. One of my District managers insisted on interviewing him and he showed up drunk :)

Dave Lane
09-23-2014, 12:07 PM
And to my credit I haven't shown up late to apply for a job since 1979.

Of course I haven't applied for one since then.

MagicHef
09-23-2014, 12:09 PM
After a review of the circumstances, I'll add this as an additional exception alongside the "finger in the dam" scenario.

Well, I didn't get either job, so you may be more lenient than they were.

BigRedChief
09-23-2014, 12:37 PM
If your in I.T. don't BS on your resume. It just wastes everyones time. There will be questions about the skill set and field that you are applying for. You will not be able to BS your way past the interview. And why bother? You will be expected to perform the job if hired.

Demonpenz
09-23-2014, 12:37 PM
The good thing about life is that if you don't get a job there is always the United Way or other places that will help you at-least put food on the table and get you medicine if you need it. That way you can spend more time playing video games or whatever you want to do if working isn't for you.

Bugeater
09-23-2014, 12:59 PM
Oh, yeah. It goes both ways. There's not much excuse for the interviewer being late, assuming that there's someone else in the company who could stand in if he/she is tied up with a client or some other top-priority thing.

They were just coming back from lunch
Posted via Mobile Device

DeepSouth
09-23-2014, 01:00 PM
I guess possibly if you were on your way to an interview in Holland and you saw a dam breaking, and you put your finger in the dam, and it then took an hour for the dam repairers to show up, then that might be a feasible excuse since you saved countless lives. But I'd still want to see it on the news that evening, and I'd want to know that there were no other people around who could have switched fingers with you.

I had a lesbian friend who told me a story about her putting her finger in a dike. Since a dike and and a dam are the same, I wonder if she was in Holland?

Rain Man
09-23-2014, 01:29 PM
They were just coming back from lunch
Posted via Mobile Device

Maybe they stopped to pull someone out of a burning car, but even then it shouldn't take that long. Did they smell like burnt rubber?

Pepe Silvia
09-23-2014, 02:16 PM

I would have loved to have been a fly on the wall. What kind of job was it? was it a laid back job where he felt he could talk like that or he didn't realize it? ROFL

The Franchise
09-23-2014, 02:21 PM
I would have loved to have been a fly on the wall. What kind of job was it? was it a laid back job where he felt he could talk like that or he didn't realize it? ROFL

It's for an office job without getting into too many specifics.

He didn't swear the entire interview. He was just recalling stories and experiences of when he was an umpire for softball and he had to deal with upset "customers". Dude just came out of nowhere with fuck this and fuck that.

Pepe Silvia
09-23-2014, 02:28 PM
It's for an office job without getting into too many specifics.

He didn't swear the entire interview. He was just recalling stories and experiences of when he was an umpire for softball and he had to deal with upset "customers". Dude just came out of nowhere with **** this and **** that.

Office Job? Not a smart move.

Mennonite
09-23-2014, 02:44 PM
http://i.imgur.com/t75UXPG.jpg

Well-well look. I already told you: I deal with the god damn customers so the engineers don't have to. I have people skills; I am good at dealing with people. Can't you understand that? What the hell is wrong with you people?

scho63
09-23-2014, 02:49 PM
I've interviewed well over 200 people in my lifetime and I always have a simple checklist to start;

1. Be on time or even better, 15 minutes early. Unless you are in a car wreck or had a heart attack I probably won't hire you.

2. Don't have on a ton of cologne or perfume or worse yet, smell like you just played 5 hours of tennis.

3. You better not have monkey breath!

4. Your shoes better be shined and for women you better not have open toed shoes or flats like those ballerina slippers.

5. I don't want to see your bra straps hanging out or your sports jacket hugging you like a sausage casing.

6. I expect you to know a few basic facts about our company and if you find any obscure info about me or our company you get big points for that.

7. If you sit back and cross your legs like you are in a restaurant or lounge relaxing, negative points. I like people who are on the edge of their seat and make great eye contact.

8. Don't ask me stupid questions like "What are your long term goals?" Worse interview question ever and employers always give a bullshit pie-in-the-sky answer that amounts to nothing more than a guess.

9. Ask me a pointed tough question to put me on the defensive like, "How do you plan on growing your business greater than your top competitor ___________?"

10. Don't ask me about how many vacation days you get 10 minutes into the interview.

Those are just the first 10 that come to mind......

BucEyedPea
09-23-2014, 03:05 PM
Is it? There are plenty of people that are woefully underskilled in that software suite.

I have no need for Excel. But I can do a masterful PP and know word.
But I still best at Adobe Illustrator, Photoshop or a Page Layout program. Ya' know the more difficult programs. So why should I be able to know Excel? Beats me! :hmmm:

Lzen
09-23-2014, 03:11 PM
Don't show a little thigh when you have a whole lot of thigh.

Does it matter if it's hairy?

Lzen
09-23-2014, 03:24 PM
But I still best at Adobe Illustrator, Photoshop or a Page Layout program. Ya' know the more difficult programs. So why should I be able to know Excel? Beats me! :hmmm:

Excel is a fantastic piece of software. I use it quite a bit in my job as well as for some stuff at home.

Lzen
09-23-2014, 03:25 PM
Rain Man,
Did you ask said interviewee his/her excuse for being late? I think I would have made it a point to comment on that.

Sassy Squatch
09-23-2014, 03:26 PM
Don't fart loudly and glare accusingly at the interviewer...

Iowanian
09-23-2014, 03:37 PM
SOoooooooooo, Mr Rice, Can you tell us about the circumstances where you left your last place of employment?

Iowanian
09-23-2014, 03:39 PM
Your first questions should not be about salary or benefits.

Halfcan
09-23-2014, 03:49 PM
I've interviewed well over 200 people in my lifetime and I always have a simple checklist to start;

1. Be on time or even better, 15 minutes early. Unless you are in a car wreck or had a heart attack I probably won't hire you.

2. Don't have on a ton of cologne or perfume or worse yet, smell like you just played 5 hours of tennis.

3. You better not have monkey breath!

4. Your shoes better be shined and for women you better not have open toed shoes or flats like those ballerina slippers.

5. I don't want to see your bra straps hanging out or your sports jacket hugging you like a sausage casing.

6. I expect you to know a few basic facts about our company and if you find any obscure info about me or our company you get big points for that.

7. If you sit back and cross your legs like you are in a restaurant or lounge relaxing, negative points. I like people who are on the edge of their seat and make great eye contact.

8. Don't ask me stupid questions like "What are your long term goals?" Worse interview question ever and employers always give a bullshit pie-in-the-sky answer that amounts to nothing more than a guess.

9. Ask me a pointed tough question to put me on the defensive like, "How do you plan on growing your business greater than your top competitor ___________?"

10. Don't ask me about how many vacation days you get 10 minutes into the interview.

Those are just the first 10 that come to mind......

Excellent list!!

Any other pitfalls to avoid? :hmmm:

scho63
09-23-2014, 04:11 PM
Excellent list!!

Any other pitfalls to avoid? :hmmm:

For potential employees:

1. Don't be afraid to pause and think of your answer before blurting out what you think I want to hear or worse yet, NEVER give an answer that is made up or you are guessing and then stating as fact. A good interviewer will ask a question to see if you will lie or make something completely up. It is never a bad idea to tell the person who is interviewing you that you must double check or validate because you are unsure.

2. ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS focus on what you have ACCOMPLISHED, not your damn daily to-do list. Your previous tasks are worthless to me.

3. Ask what process or evaluation steps are used when determining promotions and other incentives.

4. Ask about continuing education or training

Always show you are trying to better yourself.....;)

Halfcan
09-23-2014, 04:21 PM
For potential employees:

1. Don't be afraid to pause and think of your answer before blurting out what you think I want to hear or worse yet, NEVER give an answer that is made up or you are guessing and then stating as fact. A good interviewer will ask a question to see if you will lie or make something completely up. It is never a bad idea to tell the person who is interviewing you that you must double check or validate because you are unsure.

2. ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS focus on what you have ACCOMPLISHED, not your damn daily to-do list. Your previous tasks are worthless to me.

3. Ask what process or evaluation steps are used when determining promotions and other incentives.

4. Ask about continuing education or training

Always show you are trying to better yourself.....;)

Wow good tips- I have an interview on Friday. First one in many years. I was not looking for a job, but this kind of fell in my lap. I have been going through the process for a few weeks.

1. Long job application-done
2. Created a new resume-done
3. Passed long series of test including math, English, word problems and character questions (2 sets)
4 Interview on Friday.

Normally I wouldn't worry about it- I own my own business and don't really need it. But my ex wife quit her job and now two of my kids don't have health insurance. Even though it is in the divorce decree-she decided screw it-I don't want to work anymore.

It will be for a huge salary and amazing benefits-so getting kind of excited to see what happens.

I appreciate all the suggestions- havn't interviewed in a decade. ;)

TLO
09-23-2014, 04:37 PM
1 and 2. The last one as well.

Mennonite
09-23-2014, 04:38 PM
Something else NOT to say:

I'll take a shit wherever I want

Rain Man
09-23-2014, 04:57 PM
Rain Man,
Did you ask said interviewee his/her excuse for being late? I think I would have made it a point to comment on that.

He misread the transit schedule.

He misread.

The transit.

Schedule.

I understand that things happen. But you don't get up on the day of your interview and then start problem-solving things like, "How am I going to get to the interview?"

A good job is like winning a million-dollar contest if it ends up being a place where you stay for a long time. If you know that you're in a contest with that sort of potential prize, you train for it. You practice. You run to the top of the Philadelphia Museum of Art steps and psyche yourself up that you're the best person in the world and you're going to destroy the interview.

Sorry for ranting. It just bugs me to see someone not take this stuff seriously.

Start Croyle
09-23-2014, 04:58 PM
I was late for a job interview once, sort of.

First, I was an experienced traveller (moron) who didn't realize that you can just bring a backpack on board the plane instead of putting it in checked luggage. And, the airline sent my luggage to the wrong destination. So, it meant that I would have to buy new interview clothes ASAP before the interview in the morning. It was scheduled at 10:00am.

Well, I had just finished buying the new clothes and it was about 8:30. I noticed that I had a voicemail on my phone. It was from the recruiter. It was just a customary call saying that she hoped I made it in alright and good luck on the the interview...which was scheduled for 8:00.

I couldn't believe I had made such a stupid mistake. I was on a job search and had been doing a lot of interviews and had others scheduled, so I must have gotten the schedule mixed up. I decided that, since they had paid for my airline ticket and my hotel stay that I'd still better show up. I gave a call, which also went to voicemail, and said that I was very sorry for being late and that I was on the way. I raced over to the office as fast as I could.

But I ended up at the office about an hour early. It turned out that the recruiter worked out of an office on the west coast. So, I wasn't late at all. It was just 10:00 my time and 8:00 her time.

Rain Man
09-23-2014, 05:02 PM
I was late for a job interview once, sort of.

First, I was an experienced traveller (moron) who didn't realize that you can just bring a backpack on board the plane instead of putting it in checked luggage. And, the airline sent my luggage to the wrong destination. So, it meant that I would have to buy new interview clothes ASAP before the interview in the morning. It was scheduled at 10:00am.

Well, I had just finished buying the new clothes and it was about 8:30. I noticed that I had a voicemail on my phone. It was from the recruiter. It was just a customary call saying that she hoped I made it in alright and good luck on the the interview...which was scheduled for 8:00.

I couldn't believe I had made such a stupid mistake. I was on a job search and had been doing a lot of interviews and had others scheduled, so I must have gotten the schedule mixed up. I decided that, since they had paid for my airline ticket and my hotel stay that I'd still better show up. I gave a call, which also went to voicemail, and said that I was very sorry for being late and that I was on the way. I raced over to the office as fast as I could.

But I ended up at the office about an hour early. It turned out that the recruiter worked out of an office on the west coast. So, I wasn't late at all. It was just 10:00 my time and 8:00 her time.

Those time zone things can get messy. When I'm traveling to a meeting, I never know whether to put the time down as my local time or their local time.

So did you get to go out and buy clothes, or did you do the interview in your sweats?

Eleazar
09-23-2014, 05:19 PM
We do this shit all the time for internals. Post the job company wide for HR purposes. It's really shitty and why I'll never apply for another internal position without having been mentored for it.

It sucks, but sometimes the political consequences for not interviewing someone that a higher-up recommended for a job are worse than the idea of interviewing someone who has no chance.

Eleazar
09-23-2014, 05:24 PM
Other great stuff not to do is trashing your current boss or employer, asking about how much time off you get.

Criticizing our choice of vendors or the way we do things when you know nothing about the reasoning, or telling us all about everything you want to change as soon as you walk in is irritating. You need to have a certain humility about you.. that humility being knowing that you don't know everything.

kc rush
09-23-2014, 05:29 PM
I just had someone show up a day early for a position I am filling. I'm a bit torn since they are qualified, personable and had a great interview (when we did it on the proper day). But this is a detail oriented job and they put things on their calendar wrong.

Mennonite
09-23-2014, 05:30 PM
I just had someone show up a day early for a position I am filling. I'm a bit torn since they are qualified, personable and had a great interview (when we did it on the proper day). But this is a detail oriented job and they put things on their calendar wrong.

Fuckin' time zones.

TribalElder
09-23-2014, 05:31 PM
Calendars ... How do they work

Mennonite
09-23-2014, 05:41 PM
"Oh, a Gregorian calendar...my bad. Your secretary didn't say anything about that."

cosmo20002
09-23-2014, 06:10 PM
Get a new e-mail address.
Don't use hornyguy69@yahoo.com in your contact info.

Rain Man
09-23-2014, 06:46 PM

I had a female job applicant do something like that once. she didn't make it to the interview round, but I was intrigued.

kc rush
09-23-2014, 07:59 PM
Only apply for the job you are qualified for if there are multiple openings if you want to be taken seriously.

We have three openings, one entry level, one with 1-2 years experience with a specific skill set and one with 8+ years and a proven track record.

I had some guy 4 years out of college with no relevant experience ask to be considered for all three positions.

Psyko Tek
09-23-2014, 08:12 PM
I love that shit.

Me: What software do you have experience with and what level of proficiency are you at?

Interviewee: I know Microsoft Office.

Me: And?

Interviewee: Oh, I know Outlook, Word and Excel.

Me: :facepalm:

my resume proudly states that I remember DOS
life is to short and I am too much of an asshole not to fuck with people

rockymtnchief
09-23-2014, 08:19 PM
Keep the humor on the legal side.

My job came down to me and one other guy. He was more qualified than me, but took his humor a little too far. We were both asked what we would do if the company gave us $2000. It was December, so I said I'd spoil my kids for Christmas. His reply was, "Buy a brick of cocaine".

Not a good answer for a job taking care of expensive equipment.

Jiu Jitsu Jon
09-23-2014, 08:57 PM
my resume proudly states that I remember DOS
life is to short and I am too much of an asshole not to **** with people

Do they even teach BASIC anymore? I like to get my GOTOs and my A$ on every so often.

Valiant
09-23-2014, 09:34 PM
Yes, don't be late.

Blood in, blood out is one of my favorite movies. It is like Oz, stole the movie for their series.

Valiant
09-23-2014, 09:37 PM
Only apply for the job you are qualified for if there are multiple openings if you want to be taken seriously.

We have three openings, one entry level, one with 1-2 years experience with a specific skill set and one with 8+ years and a proven track record.

I had some guy 4 years out of college with no relevant experience ask to be considered for all three positions.

Meh, you can either do the job or you cannot. My friend applied for a job, no experience out of college at Cerner. They accidentally gave him the wrong job, not the entry level one. Noticed it after a year, saw that he was excelling, kept him there with a huge pay raise.

Rasputin
09-23-2014, 09:38 PM
Do they even teach BASIC anymore? I like to get my GOTOs and my A$ on every so often.

I think this signature exceeds the proper amount of signature space. Mods please smite Jiu Jitsu signature.

Because **** you Raider fan.

:D

Buehler445
09-23-2014, 09:51 PM

To be fair, there is a lot of variation in Excel skills. Just opening the shit and calculating a mortgage payment is far different than proficiency. There really aren't a lot of people proficient in excel unless they've taken some really high level classes or job experience. It really depends on the position.

And to my credit I haven't shown up late to apply for a job since 1979.

Of course I haven't applied for one since then.

You old. I wasn't born then.

Apples and oranges. Excel is strictly math. Powerpoint, Word, Illustrator, Photoshop and web development are decidedly NOT math.

Mennonite
09-23-2014, 10:02 PM
I've always done factory work. For those that have never done it, this will illustrate your frame of mind after doing it for a little while:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/jp-sBvq9Mic" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Dunit35
09-23-2014, 10:02 PM

Haha. When I finally grew up I had to get a more professional email address.

Jiu Jitsu Jon
09-23-2014, 10:05 PM
I think this signature exceeds the proper amount of signature space. Mods please smite Jiu Jitsu signature.

Because **** you Raider fan.

:D

That wasn't a very nice thing to post.

morphius
09-23-2014, 10:44 PM

The problem I have seen, is that when the company lists the requirments for my jobs they put such high level of wants that the person would be nearly impossible to find. So I'll apply to a gig if I'm even close.

Rausch
09-23-2014, 10:51 PM

I've probably done that myself in the past.

Honestly, that's the most important in my case. I can eat a lot of $3it for the right money and I've passed on jobs I know I would have loved because it just wasn't enough to pay the bills.

On second thought, sure seems fair. The employer is asking whatever they can to get the right person, why shouldn't the employee ask the only two questions that really matter?...

Miles
09-23-2014, 10:58 PM

Honestly, that's the most important in my case. I can eat a lot of $3it for the right money and I've passed on jobs I know I would have loved because it just wasn't enough to pay the bills.

On second thought, sure seems fair. The employer is asking whatever they can to get the right person, why shouldn't the employee ask the only two questions that really matter?...

Guess it depends on the size of the company and job but I've always felt pay is something brought up by HR/at the offer stage unless the interviewer volunteers it.

Buehler445
09-23-2014, 11:16 PM
Guess it depends on the size of the company and job but I've always felt pay is something brought up by HR/at the offer stage unless the interviewer volunteers it.

It depends on the job. Entry level shit is a no go. You get what they offer. If you've got some skills or if it's a small business most of the time it's negotiable.

cdcox
09-24-2014, 01:33 AM
I'll offer some tips I've learned (some the hard way) for hiring:

1. At the entry- to mid-level hire someone who needs the job.
2. At the upper level, run, run, run from anyone who needs the job.
3. People who did x well can't necessarily do different task y well just because you think both tasks are equally challenging.
4. Anyone can hide their freak show for a day or two.
5. Any reservations that you form during the job interview will become amplified post-hiring.
6. Entropy applies to people. The natural tendency is for them to get worse with time, but it is possible for them to get better if energy is added to the system.
7. Hiring has the crap shoot element of the NFL draft. No matter how much energy you inject into the hiring process, the hit rate may not be what you desire.

Bruiser
09-24-2014, 12:29 PM
MAKE SURE YOU WATCH A GOOD YOUTUBE VIDEO ON TYING A TIE BEFORE THE INTERVIEW.

Jimmya
09-24-2014, 12:43 PM
Agree with KCUnited!

New World Order
09-24-2014, 12:56 PM
How important is putting your GPA on a resume? Can it help get the job?

I have a job now, but it wouldn't hurt to know this for the future.

ptlyon
09-24-2014, 12:59 PM

Mr. Blutousky ~ zero point zero

loochy
09-24-2014, 01:01 PM

I read somewhere that if your GPA was over 3, put it on there

also, your GPA matters less and less as you get more experience

Frosty
09-24-2014, 01:11 PM
I was told that GPA should only be on there for your first professional job after college. After that, no one cares. However, I've been out of the game for a long time so it might have changed.

KC native
09-24-2014, 01:27 PM

Depends on the industry, job you're applying for, and how long you've been out of school.

Radar Chief
09-24-2014, 01:31 PM
Mr. Blutousky ~ zero point zero

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son.

TambaBerry
09-24-2014, 01:45 PM
During an application process I had to go in and take a test. Apparently they gave me the management test and I actually did pretty good on it but those bastards didn't give me the management job.

Frosty
09-24-2014, 02:01 PM
I actually did pretty good on it but those bastards didn't give me the management job.

Maybe it was because you didn't know how to use "good" and "well" correctly.

:)

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/8Gv0H-vPoDc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

ptlyon
09-24-2014, 02:09 PM
Maybe it was because you didn't know how to use "good" and "well" correctly.

:)

Thanks Andy

Sorce
09-24-2014, 02:27 PM
The problem I have seen, is that when the company lists the requirments for my jobs they put such high level of wants that the person would be nearly impossible to find. So I'll apply to a gig if I'm even close.

I love when they want 5 years experience in a technology that's only been around 2.

KC native
09-24-2014, 02:29 PM
I love when they want 5 years experience in a technology that's only been around 2.

According to my SHRM friend, companies mostly put those experience requirements in job postings so people self filter themselves and don't apply for the job.

Two jobs that I've gotten over the years had experience requirements that I didn't meet but I still got the job.

RobBlake
09-24-2014, 02:34 PM
"why do you want this job" or a question of that sort.. stupid ****** question.

$$$$. Eff you and your business, i just want $$$$

The Franchise
09-24-2014, 02:36 PM
"why do you want this job" or a question of that sort.. stupid ****** question.

$$$$. Eff you and your business, i just want $$$$

You haven't gotten jobs because your attention to detail sucks balls.

Iowanian
09-24-2014, 02:36 PM
The interviewer knows that everyone wants to know the salary and benefits and they'll get to that.

Ask what your typical duties might be, what training opportunities are available, room for advancement. Ask how you might be evaluated each year, travel requirements, typical overtime. There are always relevant questions, and during an interview, I WANT you to ask a couple of questions. Then....ask about salary and benefits and probationary period.

If the first question you have for me relates to how many days you can be gone each year, You're probably not going to be seriously considered.

Bugeater
09-24-2014, 02:45 PM
The interviewer knows that everyone wants to know the salary and benefits and they'll get to that.

Ask what your typical duties might be, what training opportunities are available, room for advancement. Ask how you might be evaluated each year, travel requirements, typical overtime. There are always relevant questions, and during an interview, I WANT you to ask a couple of questions. Then....ask about salary and benefits and probationary period.

If the first question you have for me relates to how many days you can be gone each year, You're probably not going to be seriously considered.

The thing is, if I need to make X to survive and you're only going to offer y, then we're wasting each others time by even doing the interview. What the job pays should be disclosed before we even get to the interview stage.
Posted via Mobile Device

ptlyon
09-24-2014, 02:47 PM
The thing is, if I need to make X to survive and you're only going to offer y, then we're wasting each others time by even doing the interview. What the job pays should be disclosed before we even get to the interview stage.
Posted via Mobile Device

Y is higher than X

Jiu Jitsu Jon
09-24-2014, 02:51 PM
Lowe's has a policy that they have to interview a minimum of three people for an opening. So even if they've predetermined who they want for the position, they'll completely waste the time of two other people.

Sorce
09-24-2014, 02:56 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

I know where I work the initial interview is handled by recruiting. That is where those details are discussed. Basically a short interview to catch any obvious red flags and so we don't waste either of our times if you aren't really interested. After that you get to the more behavioral/technical interview questions. Salary negotiations are handled by HR, I just decide if I think you can do the job.

RobBlake
09-24-2014, 02:59 PM
You haven't gotten jobs because your attention to detail sucks balls.

lol Okay if you say so.

Rain Man
09-24-2014, 03:06 PM

I suspect that some hiring people don't care and others do. It probably matters more on some jobs than others.

In my field, I value native intelligence and work ethic, and I think that gpa is a good measure of the combination. A high GPA in a hard major really impresses me, and a low GPA will pretty much knock a person out of the running.

If I don't see a GPA, I'll ask, and then I'll be skeptical about whether you're telling me the truth. If you're young and you say something like, "I don't remember exactly, but it was around a 3.0", I'm going to assume it was a 2.5. So I'd rather see a GPA on the resume.

If you're 30 years out of school, other things may be more important, but I still like to see it because I think it measures a lot.

Also, I don't care about grad school GPA because I don't think I've ever seen one under a 3.7. I wish the grading in grad school mattered more.

Marcellus
09-24-2014, 03:12 PM
A few things I have dealt with -

Don't wear a shirt that says "Whoever said a little hard work never killed anyone lied" when filling out an application.

Don't ask how long you get for lunch during a interview.

Don't ask if there are any good looking women that work here during an interview.

Don't dress like a homeless bum at an interview even if it is entry level production.

Stewie
09-24-2014, 03:24 PM
It's funny. I worked 25+ years for the same company only to be let go in June. Management offered a "new and exciting pie-in-the-sky" opportunity that would pay me very well until retirement. Well, the $300 million contract was cancelled in June and there were hundreds of people let go, including me. Stupid me!

I now find myself unemployed (and unemployable due to my age). I'm the guy stuck in the middle. Too young to have worked for a company that offered a pension, too old to have a decent opportunity. AND I KNOW EXCEL INSIDE AND OUT! :)

Pilsner
09-24-2014, 03:26 PM
I suspect that some hiring people don't care and others do. It probably matters more on some jobs than others.

In my field, I value native intelligence and work ethic, and I think that gpa is a good measure of the combination. A high GPA in a hard major really impresses me, and a low GPA will pretty much knock a person out of the running.

If I don't see a GPA, I'll ask, and then I'll be skeptical about whether you're telling me the truth. If you're young and you say something like, "I don't remember exactly, but it was around a 3.0", I'm going to assume it was a 2.5. So I'd rather see a GPA on the resume.

If you're 30 years out of school, other things may be more important, but I still like to see it because I think it measures a lot.

Also, I don't care about grad school GPA because I don't think I've ever seen one under a 3.7. I wish the grading in grad school mattered more.

I'm genuinely curious, and this goes for all interviewers here: Are you actually going back and corroborating GPA by asking for a transcript? If you wanted to independently certify that the GPA is legitimate, do you even have an avenue for that? Certainly a university or college isn't going to release a transcript to someone other than the student.

Rain Man
09-24-2014, 03:38 PM
I'm genuinely curious, and this goes for all interviewers here: Are you actually going back and corroborating GPA by asking for a transcript? If you wanted to independently certify that the GPA is legitimate, do you even have an avenue for that? Certainly a university or college isn't going to release a transcript to someone other than the student.

Good question. In the past we've asked for transcripts, but that was more when we hired new graduates. We do that less now, so we generally take people's word for it if they're several years out. We probably should ask for transcripts every time.

There are some third-party services now that seem kind of cool. As a job seeker, you give them your information (with official documents), and they act as a neutral repository. Employers can then request verification from them and it's faster. I just found out about them and haven't talked to anyone who has used them yet, though.

Rain Man
09-24-2014, 03:40 PM
It's funny. I worked 25+ years for the same company only to be let go in June. Management offered a "new and exciting pie-in-the-sky" opportunity that would pay me very well until retirement. Well, the $300 million contract was cancelled in June and there were hundreds of people let go, including me. Stupid me!

I now find myself unemployed (and unemployable due to my age). I'm the guy stuck in the middle. Too young to have worked for a company that offered a pension, too old to have a decent opportunity. AND I KNOW EXCEL INSIDE AND OUT! :)

But do you know the rest of the Office Suite? Can you use Outlook and Word?

Bummer for the problem. Working 25+ years for one employer is rare these days, and it's hard if they let you go. You have to convince people that you can navigate a new employer and new job requirements.

Start Croyle
09-24-2014, 03:47 PM

But isn't graduate school more about research? You could ask how many papers they wrote and in what conferences/journals they were published. This is fair game for Ph.Ds for sure. For MS students, maybe half will have published a paper and the very best might have more than that. But some MS students may have just taken courses and not done a thesis and wouldn't be expected to have written any papers. It also depends on the degree area, of course.

Stewie
09-24-2014, 04:20 PM
But do you know the rest of the Office Suite? Can you use Outlook and Word?

Bummer for the problem. Working 25+ years for one employer is rare these days, and it's hard if they let you go. You have to convince people that you can navigate a new employer and new job requirements.

I never thought I'd be here. I'd just like a chance... an interview at least. I met with a Kansas Employment representative. She told me to revamp my resume to conceal my age. WTF?

Home Depot is the winner! Here comes an engineer to ring up your mulch purchase!

Iowanian
09-24-2014, 04:29 PM
You sound like a consultant who doesn't know he's a consultant yet.

Rain Man
09-24-2014, 04:32 PM
But isn't graduate school more about research? You could ask how many papers they wrote and in what conferences/journals they were published. This is fair game for Ph.Ds for sure. For MS students, maybe half will have published a paper and the very best might have more than that. But some MS students may have just taken courses and not done a thesis and wouldn't be expected to have written any papers. It also depends on the degree area, of course.

Yeah, maybe that's the difference. It just makes me nervous that I don't have any way other than testing to see if their grad degree adds value for me.

My grad school was the same way, though. There were a few people with GPAs under 3.5 and they were universally people that I would never want to hire. But the ones above 3.5 included some great people and some who were less impressive, and you couldn't tell the difference on their resumes.

mr. tegu
09-24-2014, 04:41 PM
Most grad schools have graduation requirements of around 3.0 to 3.5 so a high GPA is simply a requirement of having the degree so the GPA doesn't really say anything that having the degree doesn't already say.

Rasputin
09-24-2014, 04:49 PM
Am starting my new job Saturday. Friday will be my last day working for the shitty city & on to better days.

I did show up to my interview on time and it went great. I also got to go out last Saturday to give it a go see how I do. Driving an Oil tanker truck was a bit tricky shifting gears but I think I will get the hang of it pretty quick. Just finding all the places I need to go out in the boondocks is also going be tricky. Don't think I will be on my own for a while but I'm hoping I can show I can do a good job and get on my own right away. Hard work and determination will get me where I need to be. I got to keep pushing myself, tired of being broke & not getting anywhere.

AndChiefs
09-24-2014, 05:00 PM
I never thought I'd be here. I'd just like a chance... an interview at least. I met with a Kansas Employment representative. She told me to revamp my resume to conceal my age. WTF?

Home Depot is the winner! Here comes an engineer to ring up your mulch purchase!

The rep is correct on concealing your age unfortunately. Most reps are saying to have about fifteen years on your resume as that's what is going to be relevant anyways. They can find out how old you are in the interview (at least guess how old you are since they can't ask).

kc rush
09-24-2014, 05:40 PM

I've been asking for salary requirements up front just so I understand whether or not its worth my time to interview someone. I've told people right off that we can't meet their needs so they understand why I'm not bringing them in.

I had one person say that they needed $20K more than were offering for an entry level position. When I told them we couldn't do that, they tried to negotiate a salary with me, all before we've ever had a conversation about interviews. I let them know that I had 15 resumes on my desk for people in my budget range. Never heard back from them.

BigRedChief
09-24-2014, 06:40 PM
I've been asking for salary requirements up front just so I understand whether or not its worth my time to interview someone.I don't even talk to recruiters unless they answer the salary question within 30 seconds or so. Most of these guys have not been recruiting professionals and miss on matching the experience/salary ratio. It just wastes my time if your not even in the ballpark.

Discuss Thrower
09-24-2014, 06:59 PM
Got an interview Monday morning for a job I'd applied to over the summer and didn't get.

Chief Pote
09-24-2014, 07:38 PM
Wow good tips- I have an interview on Friday. First one in many years. I was not looking for a job, but this kind of fell in my lap. I have been going through the process for a few weeks.

1. Long job application-done
2. Created a new resume-done
3. Passed long series of test including math, English, word problems and character questions (2 sets)
4 Interview on Friday.

Normally I wouldn't worry about it- I own my own business and don't really need it. But my ex wife quit her job and now two of my kids don't have health insurance. Even though it is in the divorce decree-she decided screw it-I don't want to work anymore.

It will be for a huge salary and amazing benefits-so getting kind of excited to see what happens.

I appreciate all the suggestions- havn't interviewed in a decade. ;)

Get a fresh haircut...wear a suit. Look like you mean business.

DenverChief
09-24-2014, 07:59 PM

Believe it or not some job postings still ask for acknowledgement of proficiency in Microsoft Office

ptlyon
09-24-2014, 08:09 PM
Get a fresh haircut...wear a suit. Look like you mean business.

Get a haircut, and get a real job?

ptlyon
09-24-2014, 08:13 PM
Got an interview Monday morning for a job I'd applied to over the summer and didn't get.

Happened to me on my first programming job right out of college. Didn't get an interview the first time, just a FO letter. Got the job the second time around.

Good luck!

Rain Man
09-24-2014, 08:35 PM

Fess up. What did you do to secretly undermine the person who got the job? Whatever it was, good job.

BigRedChief
09-24-2014, 08:38 PM
Get a haircut, and get a real job?Best George Thorougood song evah.

Buehler445
09-24-2014, 09:09 PM
Am starting my new job Saturday. Friday will be my last day working for the shitty city & on to better days.

I did show up to my interview on time and it went great. I also got to go out last Saturday to give it a go see how I do. Driving an Oil tanker truck was a bit tricky shifting gears but I think I will get the hang of it pretty quick. Just finding all the places I need to go out in the boondocks is also going be tricky. Don't think I will be on my own for a while but I'm hoping I can show I can do a good job and get on my own right away. Hard work and determination will get me where I need to be. I got to keep pushing myself, tired of being broke & not getting anywhere.

Good work. That's A good job.

Rasputin
09-24-2014, 09:22 PM
Good work. That's A good job.

Thanks. It should turn out real good. I hear great things about the owner and he is a genuine nice guy. He is somebody that you really want to do well for and do the best I can. He gives out Christmas bonus every year by what he thinks you deserve so that is pretty cool.

After my training I will be out on my own so I don't have to worry about anybody else but my job and I like that.

New World Order
09-24-2014, 09:49 PM

What is it for?

I have a BA and currently work as a marketing consultant. I am considering a switch to sales simply for the money.

Does anyone have an MBA here? If so, was/is it worth it?

Discuss Thrower
09-24-2014, 10:07 PM
What is it for?

I have a BA and currently work as a marketing consultant. I am considering a switch to sales simply for the money.

MBA wouldn't really be worth it for sales. That's a field where you are judged solely on results.

The position is for proposal writing.

Discuss Thrower
09-24-2014, 10:08 PM
Fess up. What did you do to secretly undermine the person who got the job? Whatever it was, good job.

Thanks, but the process is just beginning. This will be the first time I've had to interview for something that wasn't an internship or a pyramid scheme.

Buehler445
09-24-2014, 10:16 PM
What is it for?

What kind of sales? Odds are MBA will not do you much good. In fact, some employers will shitcan your resume because you're overqualified. JMO. Feel free to pm me specific questions.

AndChiefs
09-25-2014, 12:24 PM
What is it for?

I have an MBA and it was worth it. I'm three years out and have more than doubled my salary from before going back.

Doubt it would be useful for sales though (as mentioned above).

Lzen
09-25-2014, 01:44 PM
He misread the transit schedule.

He misread.

The transit.

Schedule.

I understand that things happen. But you don't get up on the day of your interview and then start problem-solving things like, "How am I going to get to the interview?"

A good job is like winning a million-dollar contest if it ends up being a place where you stay for a long time. If you know that you're in a contest with that sort of potential prize, you train for it. You practice. You run to the top of the Philadelphia Museum of Art steps and psyche yourself up that you're the best person in the world and you're going to destroy the interview.

Sorry for ranting. It just bugs me to see someone not take this stuff seriously.

Yup. Lame excuse.

Discuss Thrower
09-25-2014, 01:56 PM
I'm still kind of in shock I got the call yesterday.

I'd applied for the job after seeing it on CareerBuilder or wherever the hell the opening got posted about a month after it was first listed on the company's internal website.

I was asked to take a personality survey a week-ish after applying, completed survey and never heard anything. Followed up roughly a week after the survey then waited until I got the rejection email 6 weeks later.

About a month after that I got a tip that the company was hiring for that position again, so I re-accessed my login info with the company and applied again with a tweaked resume and cover letter. Waited for two weeks and debated against sending a follow-up email reasoning the fact I'd applied for the job previously showed enough interest. Then I got the call yesterday after 4:00pm. Opted for an early interview time because I'm going to Arrowhead Monday afternoon and I wouldn't be back in the afternoon Tuesday.. or likely be in the best sorts for an interview.

PunkinDrublic
09-25-2014, 04:57 PM
What if you had some bad circumstance your last couple of years on your previous job of 5 years and ended up getting fired? Is it too risky to say you got laid off and pray they don't look into it too much?

Rain Man
09-25-2014, 05:11 PM
What if you had some bad circumstance your last couple of years on your previous job of 5 years and ended up getting fired? Is it too risky to say you got laid off and pray they don't look into it too much?

If you say you got laid off they may ask to call your former boss for a reference. That would get awkward.

PunkinDrublic
09-25-2014, 06:14 PM
If you say you got laid off they may ask to call your former boss for a reference. That would get awkward.

I typically wouldn't use the boss that fired me as a reference. I would use references that I good working relationship with. It sucks losing a job you had for 5 years and losing it in 3 month span because you didn't work well with one supervisor.

scho63
09-25-2014, 07:01 PM

ROFLROFLROFLROFLROFL

scho63
09-25-2014, 07:02 PM
Believe it or not some job postings still ask for acknowledgement of proficiency in Microsoft Office

And you can tell by that posting that the company is way behind the times! ;)

ThaVirus
09-25-2014, 07:08 PM

I'd applied for the job after seeing it on CareerBuilder or wherever the hell the opening got posted about a month after it was first listed on the company's internal website.

I was asked to take a personality survey a week-ish after applying, completed survey and never heard anything. Followed up roughly a week after the survey then waited until I got the rejection email 6 weeks later.

About a month after that I got a tip that the company was hiring for that position again, so I re-accessed my login info with the company and applied again with a tweaked resume and cover letter. Waited for two weeks and debated against sending a follow-up email reasoning the fact I'd applied for the job previously showed enough interest. Then I got the call yesterday after 4:00pm. Opted for an early interview time because I'm going to Arrowhead Monday afternoon and I wouldn't be back in the afternoon Tuesday.. or likely be in the best sorts for an interview.

Dude, that's awesome. Good luck!

scho63
09-25-2014, 07:24 PM
Another big negative I see all the time is poorly formatted resumes that list NO accomplishments and nothing but a to-do list of their daily chores. Those go straight in the garbage.

Your resume MUST fit within normal margins. Don't expand the margins to make your resume take up every inch of printable space.

No listing of your hobbies on a resume-this is for work not play.

I don't need to know if you speak other languages UNLESS it is part of the job requirement, if not leave it out.

Same goes for your stupid fraternity or sorority affiliation. Who gives a F !

LAST BUT NOT LEAST, NEVER, EVER, EVER PUT THE STUPID LINE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE RESUME " REFERENCES UPON REQUEST"

scho63
09-25-2014, 07:26 PM
One more thing HUGE thing-if I catch you lying or fabricating facts on your resume or during the interview, you have ZERO chance at me employing you so don't do it. It's not worth it.

ThaVirus
09-25-2014, 07:31 PM
LAST BUT NOT LEAST, NEVER, EVER, EVER PUT THE STUPID LINE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE RESUME " REFERENCES UPON REQUEST"

You'd prefer references be listed on the résumé itself? Or just no mention of it at all?

AndChiefs
09-25-2014, 08:48 PM
You'd prefer references be listed on the résumé itself? Or just no mention of it at all?

Leave it off. It's expected that references would be available on request.

ThaVirus
09-25-2014, 08:50 PM

Ok, thanks.

I've recently-ish graduated from college and have been getting little to no response on the job market. I'm figuring my resume is pretty weak in itself (to a potential employer I'm really only qualified to work in a restaurant) but the length at which I've gone without a serious call back or offer makes me wonder if it has more to do with the way my resume is put together..

AndChiefs
09-25-2014, 09:00 PM
Ok, thanks.

I've recently-ish graduated from college and have been getting little to no response on the job market. I'm figuring my resume is pretty weak in itself (to a potential employer I'm really only qualified to work in a restaurant) but the length at which I've gone without a serious call back or offer makes me wonder if it has more to do with the way my resume is put together..

I can take a look at it if you want. Always willing to help out a CP member.

ThaVirus
09-25-2014, 09:04 PM
I can take a look at it if you want. Always willing to help out a CP member.

Honestly, I would appreciate that! Sometime in the next couple days I'll PM you a copy and you can tell me what you think.

Marcellus
09-25-2014, 09:05 PM

Good luck man!

AndChiefs
09-25-2014, 09:09 PM
Honestly, I would appreciate that! Sometime in the next couple days I'll PM you a copy and you can tell me what you think.

Sounds good. I'll keep an eye on my PM's.

kc rush
09-25-2014, 09:49 PM
Ok, thanks.

What is your degree in and what type of jobs are you applying for?

Discuss Thrower
09-25-2014, 10:18 PM
Good luck man!

Thanks. At the exrteme least it's in-person interview experience which is something I have a distinct lack of.

Rain Man
09-25-2014, 10:45 PM

I recognize that I may be a lone voice in the wilderness on this, but I can't stand the whole reference thing. If a person can't come up with a list of two or three people who like them, then I can probably tell that in the interview. Hitler could list Mussolini and Goering as references. What does that tell me?

If I want to check references, I'll ask in the interview who their supervisors were, and I'll call them.

Bruiser
09-25-2014, 10:54 PM
I recognize that I may be a lone voice in the wilderness on this, but I can't stand the whole reference thing. If a person can't come up with a list of two or three people who like them, then I can probably tell that in the interview. Hitler could list Mussolini and Goering as references. What does that tell me?

If I want to check references, I'll ask in the interview who their supervisors were, and I'll call them.

Agree on everything here.

Bruiser
09-25-2014, 10:56 PM

morphius
09-26-2014, 06:31 AM

It is interesting that in Colorado that you can call the supervisor, my belief is that in KS all a supervisor/manager/company can tell you is that they worked for you.

Halfcan
09-26-2014, 03:46 PM
Update:

Had a great interview today! Thanks for all the tips on here. Should know in a couple of days-they turned in the request to HR. It is not the job I thought but a hybrid supervisor job above the job I was applying for. Huge salary and probably the best benefit package I have ever seen-including free life insurance. Benefits and paid vacation begin on the first day.

I am trying not to get too excited about it until the deal closes- but now after seeing how awesome the company is, really hoping it pans out. Thanks again everyone-I used some of the tips on here and was not nervous at all.

Rain Man
09-26-2014, 04:02 PM
It is interesting that in Colorado that you can call the supervisor, my belief is that in KS all a supervisor/manager/company can tell you is that they worked for you.

I suspect you can call a supervisor anywhere. Getting them to talk to you is the hard part. Many companies will have a policy of just verifying employment and stating whether the employee is eligible for rehire, but they'll often give you non-verbal grunting clues that tell you what you need to know.

I had someone call me for a reference on an ex-employee once, and I'll give someone a good reference if they were a good employee. Why not? But this prospective employer then asked if they could have the employee's personnel files and performance reviews. They were a law firm and assured me that it was legal, but I declined to do that. That seemed over the top to ask of me.

Rain Man
09-26-2014, 04:03 PM
Update:

Had a great interview today! Thanks for all the tips on here. Should know in a couple of days-they turned in the request to HR. It is not the job I thought but a hybrid supervisor job above the job I was applying for. Huge salary and probably the best benefit package I have ever seen-including free life insurance. Benefits and paid vacation begin on the first day.

I am trying not to get too excited about it until the deal closes- but now after seeing how awesome the company is, really hoping it pans out. Thanks again everyone-I used some of the tips on here and was not nervous at all.

Good luck to you, my friend. I hope you're able to wrestle it to a pin.

Bugeater
09-26-2014, 05:03 PM
That's what I've been told, but I can't help but wonder how often it's really adhered to. Do you really think that a prospective employer is going to rat on a former employer for giving them information that they likely want to hear? I seriously doubt it.

morphius
09-26-2014, 05:10 PM
That's what I've been told, but I can't help but wonder how often it's really adhered to. Do you really think that a prospective employer is going to rat on a former employer for giving them information that they likely want to hear? I seriously doubt it.
I've heard of people having friends call and double check to make sure they were not doing it.

Rain Man
09-26-2014, 05:27 PM
I've heard of people having friends call and double check to make sure they were not doing it.

Yeah, as an employer you're going to be careful about that. And as a hiring person, you know as well.

There's a whole dance that goes on. If you say, "Oh, Morphius. He's great. We hated to lose him. He worked here from 2008 to 2011," that's all they need to hear. And if all you say is "Morphius was employed here from 2008 to 2011", the hiring employer knows how to interpret that as well. There's not much need for a more detailed conversation as long as everyone understands the code.

BigRedChief
09-26-2014, 08:08 PM
If I want to check references, I'll ask in the interview who their supervisors were, and I'll call them.Isn't that who a reference is? Your boss at your former work? Are people giving out friends and family as references?

BigRedChief
09-26-2014, 08:12 PM
That's what I've been told, but I can't help but wonder how often it's really adhered to. Do you really think that a prospective employer is going to rat on a former employer for giving them information that they likely want to hear? I seriously doubt it.What they ask my former boss is what I did there, what did I do with this part of the work, what was accomplished. I got past the technical interview, the offer has been made but they still want to check that what I did on the resume is what I actually did.

I hear that rarely do they ask anything that will be negative. Like Rainmans comment, its read between the lines.

Hammock Parties
09-26-2014, 08:21 PM
How early was DaFace?

Rain Man
09-26-2014, 08:34 PM
How early was DaFace?

Which time?

Rain Man
09-26-2014, 08:36 PM
Isn't that who a reference is? Your boss at your former work? Are people giving out friends and family as references?

I've seen a variety of people listed as references, but yeah, it's often a supervisor. I see some coworker references too, which is a red flag for me if someone lists a coworker and not a supervisor.

Rasputin
10-15-2014, 11:40 AM
Ok had a job interview this morning at 9. I think it went pretty good. Gave myself plenty of time to get there and find my way. I dressed nice and was in front of a panel of three people. Did my best to answer the questions and also had to type out ten minutes on a computer of why I want to work there and also what would make them want to hire me.

Welp I think I did good and all. I know the pay will be better than what I was making but also pretty much can get all the over time I want and that would be great.

It sucks not having a job. It also sucks to wait to find out if I will be hired because I don't know if I should put out other job applications or not. I hate to ask a place for a job knowing I could be hired somewhere else but if that job doesn't hire me then I waist a week of finding employment.

Go Royals keep my hopes up.

KC native
10-15-2014, 11:47 AM
I've only had one potential employer actually check my references. They offered me a job but the pay was shit and they wanted me to do the job and start a new line of business for them. The company was extremely small.

ThaVirus
10-15-2014, 12:24 PM
Potential employers don't give a fuck about you.

I'd say, if you haven't heard back on a specific job, you should continue looking. The only person you can count on to have your back is you.

KC native
10-15-2014, 12:26 PM
Potential employers don't give a fuck about you.

I'd say, if you haven't heard back on a specific job, you should continue looking. The only person you can count on to have your back is you.

and unless you're Joey, your mom.

scho63
10-15-2014, 12:44 PM
I've only had one potential employer actually check my references. They offered me a job but the pay was shit and they wanted me to do the job and start a new line of business for them. The company was extremely small.

The more significant the job, the greater the chance your employer will check your references.

CEO's will be checked 100% of the time and all their references' references will also be called along with college roommates, professors, neighbors, and local police.

If you are applying for your first job at McDonalds, Hyvee, or a local business less than 5% of the time.

KC native
10-15-2014, 12:45 PM
The more significant the job, the greater the chance your employer will check your references.

CEO's will be checked 100% of the time and all their references' references will also be called along with college roommates, professors, neighbors, and local police.

If you are applying for your first job at McDonalds, Hyvee, or a local business less than 5% of the time.

Yea, I've steadily moved up during my career. Still only had one reference check.

Iowanian
10-15-2014, 12:53 PM
Hiring managers.

I'm doing some presentations to college students on the topic of mistakes made in the job search/interview process.

I'd be interested to see a collection of your answers to these.
1. The resume'/initial contact
2. Interview mistakes that guarantee non-employment with you.

Thank you.

scho63
10-15-2014, 12:57 PM
Yea, I've steadily moved up during my career. Still only had one reference check.

That's shocking! What industry are you in?

KC native
10-15-2014, 12:58 PM
That's shocking! What industry are you in?

Finance.

Iowanian
10-15-2014, 12:58 PM
I do check references fwiw. At least 1 contact per considered applicant.

In my industry, I likely personally know someone who knows them or has worked with them.

Fire Me Boy!
10-15-2014, 01:35 PM

I disagree with this. When I was hiring, I always greatly appreciated when resumes included references. I don't like having the chase people down for references.

JMO.

Fire Me Boy!
10-15-2014, 01:39 PM
Yeah, as an employer you're going to be careful about that. And as a hiring person, you know as well.

There's a whole dance that goes on. If you say, "Oh, Morphius. He's great. We hated to lose him. He worked here from 2008 to 2011," that's all they need to hear. And if all you say is "Morphius was employed here from 2008 to 2011", the hiring employer knows how to interpret that as well. There's not much need for a more detailed conversation as long as everyone understands the code.

All about the questions you ask in a reference check, more specifically how you phrase the questions.