PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Late night bullshit: Allen Bailey or Rodney Hudson

Direckshun
09-24-2014, 12:43 AM
I run lots of layman simulations of the Chiefs offseasons throughout the season. Most of them are totally worthless, but they're generally not that far off (http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?p=10475393#post10475393). It was easy to predict we weren't going to be doing a ton of things in the offseason last year, for instance.

I think it's reasonable to assume the Chiefs will free up about $25m in cap space by cutting several players. You almost get there by cutting Hali, Sean Smith, Fasano, and DeVito -- and you gotta figure guys like DJ, Chase Daniel, and Avery are all on the bubble to get cut as well.

If that's the case, you gotta say a Justin Houston deal takes up approximately $12m of that. Which means you're working with about $13-$18m in free agency.

Unless there are some shocking cuts, the free agency class is not very good this year at any position. At WR, you can have a number of WR2s, and I suspect the Chiefs will try for one. At CB and OT, the cupboard is almost entirely bare. When the best talents I see at tackle is Orlando Franklin, and the best talent I see at CB is Chris Harris, you're not exactly cooking with gas.

So the Chiefs will do their thing, trying to score a B-level free agent and a handful of bargain bin options, hoping to land another Joe McKnight or Husain Abdullah.

But they've also got their own decisions to make with two players who are currently in their last year of free agency, C Rodney Hudson and DE Allen Bailey.

I imagine, if the Chiefs are hoping to land at least one B-level free agent, they'll have to let AT LEAST one of those players walk.

So which option would you pick? Poll included.

TimBone
09-24-2014, 12:49 AM
If we can't keep both, then I keep Hudson. We're bad enough on the O-line as is. Can't afford to lose him.

Direckshun
09-24-2014, 12:49 AM
I think you could make a compelling case for any of the four options.

Option A, keep both: This year's free agency class is a joke. Punt on it, and keep talents that look like they are finally getting it and playing very well in our offensive and defensive schemes.

Option B, keep Bailey, let Hudson walk: The Chiefs have an immediate successor at center in Eric Kush. Allen Bailey does something that the Chiefs have struggled with ever since they switched to the 3-4 FIVE YEARS AGO: provide us a passrush from the DE position. That's harder to replace than an effective center.

Option C, keep Hudson, let Bailey walk: Letting Hudson walk lets our league-youngest OL get EVEN YOUNGER, and Hudson is our best lineman right now, and a potential Top Ten center in another year's time. Bailey is a great talent, but the services he provides can be duplicated for pennies on the dollar by Jaye Howard, Kevin Vickerson, and possibly Mike Catapano. Vance Walker is a reliable source of pressure as well when he's spelling Poe.

Option D, let both walk: You can let them both walk, as we have an immediate successor at center, and we can get a passrush from the DE position for pennies on the dollar from other players. It doesn't even matter if we sign players in free agency, either, because we're going to need to give Poe a fat contract in 2016, so the more cap space we save, the better.

cdcox
09-24-2014, 01:01 AM
Unless Bailey blows up this year, I think you could keep both relatively good players for not very much coin.

Chiefs=Champions
09-24-2014, 01:22 AM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/X9Jl2I-hwfE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Direckshun
09-24-2014, 01:43 AM
Unless Bailey blows up this year, I think you could keep both relatively good players for not very much coin.

If Bailey stacks up about 6 sacks, which I think he can do, he'll get a better deal virtually anywhere than here, unless we are willing to let Hudson walk and/or punt on free agency.

OldSchool
09-24-2014, 02:06 AM
Keep Hudson and sign Miami's Jared Odrick in place of Bailey if they're asking for the same amount of money. That's if Bailey doesn't show better pass rush skills.

Rausch
09-24-2014, 03:01 AM
Why any fan would vote against Hudson is beyond me...

Exoter175
09-24-2014, 03:59 AM
This thread hurts my head. DJ gone, Hali gone, Smith gone? Hudson OR Bailey?

You're joking, right?

Let me remind you that KC is considered a "small market" team, and big name athletes just aren't going to come here unless they are drafted and fall in love with KC, or if we've got a super bowl caliber team built, waiting for them, and that just isn't the case. We will NEVER have a big free agency dip, we will only ever make splashes on day 2 and day 3 guys for their b team talent.

mdchiefsfan
09-24-2014, 04:50 AM
I would say you could let the draft dictate this decision. If we are getting a top pick and there is a DE that they like, you could let Bailey walk and potentially upgrade the position while maintaining Hudson.

Eleazar
09-24-2014, 04:54 AM
They should both be about as cheap as a replacement player.

Easy 6
09-24-2014, 04:55 AM
If we can't keep both, then I keep Hudson. We're bad enough on the O-line as is. Can't afford to lose him.

Hoover
09-24-2014, 06:17 AM
I think it's really important to keep Hudson. He's only 25, which is the same age as Kush by the way. It's one thing to go into next year's draft looking for an upgrade at guard, but I have no desire to replace Hudson at center. Would be nice if Kush could move to guard, if its possible we wouldn't really have to use a top pick on the Oline.

Our opine situation will look a hell of a lot better if we give it a little time as I still think Jeff Allen and Kush are developmental guys.

I love Bailey. He's another 25 year old that you really need to keep. I know you all like to dream about brining in free agents, but I really think we need to focus on keeping our own this year. We can't afford to see another 3 or 4 key young players walk after the season.

Plus spending the money to keep these two allows us to use our draft picks to target DBs and WRs.

Hoover
09-24-2014, 06:53 AM
I imagine, if the Chiefs are hoping to land at least one B-level free agent, they'll have to let AT LEAST one of those players walk.

All day long the answer is to screw the B-level free agent and keep these two.

Pasta Little Brioni
09-24-2014, 08:13 AM
Chris Harris Junior...no fucking thanks

alpha_omega
09-24-2014, 08:28 AM
Dump 'em both and draft a C in the top 10.

j/k......easy choice...Hudson.

RunKC
09-24-2014, 08:36 AM
Chiefs will have plenty of money when they dump Bowe, Avery, DeVito, S. Smith, Tamba and Mays.

Sandy Vagina
09-24-2014, 08:43 AM

This is what I would have typed. At least at this point, Chiefs can't let Hudson go.

The hope has to be that the OL overall will grow together this season. Stephenson should step in soon and continue to develop as the solid RT starter. Fisher and Fulton should develop into a better LT and RG. I really don't expect McGlynn to get much better than suck.. so that would probably be the only OL change going into 2015.

If Devito is released to save 4 mil in cap room, then the Chiefs need to see more of Walker this season.. to determine if he really is worth keeping at his expensive price tag. Bailey has been pretty good, but he's not producing to a level where he should demand huge money. Much depends on where his head is at when FA approaches. I'm far less concerned about the DL than I am OL.

RunKC
09-24-2014, 09:31 AM
Pioli is a polarizing figure here, but looking back at his drafts he wasn't too bad at drafting after his first year.

Pro bowlers

Berry
Poe
DMC
Houston

Solid role players

Hudson
Bailey
Stephenson

He certainly wasn't great by any means, but he wasn't Matt Millen.

Mr. Laz
09-24-2014, 09:50 AM
They are both just average guys, why couldn't we keep them both?

this organization is such a cheap pile of shit, even the fans are cheap