PDA

View Full Version : Football Bill Simmons suspended 3 weeks by ESPN for anti-Goodell rant

tk13
09-24-2014, 06:43 PM
He got a longer suspension than Ray Rice.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/sportsnow/la-sp-sn-espn-bill-simmons-suspended-20140924-story.html

ESPN's Bill Simmons suspended anti-Goodell rant; barred from Twitter

By Ryan Parker

ESPN analyst Bill Simmons has been suspended for three weeks after he made profane comments about NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell during a podcast.

In addition, Simmons is not allowed to use Twitter while suspended, an ESPN spokesman confirmed to The Times.

Shortly after the suspension was announced, #FreeSimmons began trending worldwide on Twitter.

On his BS Report podcast hosted on ESPN.com, Simmons used the F word multiple times while passionately exclaiming that Goodell was lying about his involvement and knowledge of the mishandling of the Ray Rice domestic abuse scandal.

“Goodell, if he didn’t know what was on that tape, he’s a liar. I’m just saying it. He is lying. If you put him up on a lie detector test, that guy would fail. For all these people to pretend they didn’t know is such ... . It really is, it’s such ... . For him to go into that press conference and pretend otherwise -- I was so insulted.”

Simmons, also the editor-in-chief of Grantland.com, then dared ESPN to reprimand him for what he said during the same podcast.

“I really hope somebody calls me or emails me and says I’m in trouble for anything I say about Roger Goodell,” Simmons said. “Because if one person says that to me, I’m going public. You leave me alone. The commissioner’s a liar and I get to talk about that on my podcast. ... Please, call me and say I’m in trouble. I dare you.”

ESPN did just that.

“Every employee must be accountable to ESPN and those engaged in our editorial operations must also operate within ESPN’s journalistic standards,” it said in a statement. “We have worked hard to ensure that our recent NFL coverage has met that criteria. Bill Simmons did not meet those obligations in a recent podcast, and as a result we have suspended him for three weeks.”

This is not the first time Simmons has been in hot water for comments he has made.

In March 2013, Simmons was suspended from Twitter by ESPN after he tweeted comments about a segment on the popular show "First Take" during which co-host Skip Bayless and flamboyant Seattle Seahawks cornerback Richard Sherman went shot-for-shot while discussing Sherman's comments about his greatness, Deadspin reported.

Direckshun
09-24-2014, 06:53 PM
Uhhhhh... okay.

What was the crime here, other tham talking shit on an insanely litigious billion dollar industry.

Mennonite
I hear there is a job opening for a journalist/attention whore at a tv news station in Alaska, Bill.

kcxiv
But he has Grantland which he owns on his own he's just partnered with ESPN. So he can really post articles and whatever the hell he wants on there.

This is retarded.

srvy
09-24-2014, 06:55 PM
Who didn't see that one coming seeing as ESPN and Monday Nite Football pulls in a sizable chunk of change. Three weeks gives them a chance to mull it over with the Lawyers and see if he will tow the line. I kinda think he will step down or be fired.

Mennonite
09-24-2014, 06:57 PM
Uhhhhh... okay.

What was the crime here, other than talking shit on an insanely litigious billion dollar industry.

Publicly daring your boss to reprimand you as you drop F bombs and threatening to "go public" if they do so?

Making slanderous (?) remarks about one of your employers biggest business partners?

tk13
09-24-2014, 06:57 PM
The other funny part is they only suspended Stephen A. Smith one week for his comments on domestic violence. This could really turn ugly if the public opinion goes the wrong way.

Baby Lee
09-24-2014, 07:02 PM
The profanity is irrelevant as Bill censors salty language out of The BS Report before ever uploading it. Has since he started the 'cast.

The possibility of slander is much more serious. He has charged a specific public individual with objective morally corrupt actions.

Jewish Rabbi
09-24-2014, 07:05 PM
Simmons (and his 30 for 30 brainchild) is the only good thing about ESPN in the last 10 years.

Deberg_1990
09-24-2014, 07:09 PM
Where is "Playmakers" season 2 ESPN?

cosmo20002
09-24-2014, 07:19 PM
The profanity is irrelevant as Bill censors salty language out of The BS Report before ever uploading it. Has since he started the 'cast.

The possibility of slander is much more serious. He has charged a specific public individual with objective morally corrupt actions.

Yeah, right. Surely you know the high threshold for a public figure to win a slander/libel suit.
Plus, what he said is essentially opinion.

cosmo20002
09-24-2014, 07:27 PM
But he has Grantland which he owns on his own he's just partnered with ESPN. So he can really post articles and whatever the hell he wants on there.

This is retarded.

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/b-s-report-simmons-slams-goodell-reevaluates-spygate-and-guesses-the-lines-with-cousin-sal/

404 Page
Hey, the page you’re looking for doesn’t seem to be working. Why not try:

The Grantland home page!
The Triangle!
Hollywood Prospectus!
The Basketball Jesus!

MMXcalibur
09-24-2014, 08:03 PM
Is Olbermann going to get suspended for his take on Jeter?

Mennonite
09-24-2014, 08:07 PM
Is A-ha going to be suspended for their Take on Me?

'Hamas' Jenkins
09-24-2014, 08:08 PM
Twice on the pod he called it "fucking bullshit," both instances of which were bleeped out. That's what was left out in the ellipses.

Reerun_KC
09-24-2014, 08:10 PM
The other funny part is they only suspended Stephen A. Smith one week for his comments on domestic violence. This could really turn ugly if the public opinion goes the wrong way.
Stephen a smith is a racists jackass. Hr can die in a aids fire.

Baby Lee
09-24-2014, 08:11 PM
Yeah, right. Surely you know the high threshold for a public figure to win a slander/libel suit.
Plus, what he said is essentially opinion.

I said more serious than bleeped curse words, not lose slander suit in court serious.

kcxiv
09-24-2014, 08:11 PM
Is Olbermann going to get suspended for his take on Jeter?

They knew what they were in for with Olberman. Plus his show gets great ratings its why they moved him to daytime! Keith gonna be Keith! lol

kcxiv
09-24-2014, 08:13 PM
http://grantland.com/the-triangle/b-s-report-simmons-slams-goodell-reevaluates-spygate-and-guesses-the-lines-with-cousin-sal/

404 Page
Hey, the page you’re looking for doesn’t seem to be working. Why not try:

The Grantland home page!
The Triangle!
Hollywood Prospectus!
The Basketball Jesus!

Damn, did they really take it down becaus ehe got suspended? if i was fucking Bill, i'd say fuck you espn and hook up with Dan Patrick. They can run shit! lol

Marcellus
09-24-2014, 08:13 PM
The media is so far off course with pretty much everything its ridiculous.

They are creating the story so much anymore I wouldn't be surprised if this was planned.

'Hamas' Jenkins
09-24-2014, 08:14 PM
The media is so far off course with pretty much everything its ridiculous.

They are creating the story so much anymore I wouldn't be surprised if this was planned.

That is moronic.

Marcellus
09-24-2014, 08:16 PM
That is moronic.

OK. Whatever you think.

SAUTO
09-24-2014, 08:17 PM
Is A-ha going to be suspended for their Take on Me?

LMAOLMAOLMAOLMAOLMAO
Posted via Mobile Device

'Hamas' Jenkins
09-24-2014, 08:20 PM
OK. Whatever you think.

Awesome rebuttal, and even better evidence.

"Yeah, ESPN suspended this guy because they just want to get more attention for themselves."

Meanwhile, suspending him sheds light on the incompetency of Goodell again makes them look hypocritical for the punishment they gave out relative to what SAS got a few months back.

'Hamas' Jenkins
09-24-2014, 08:26 PM
I actually think it would be awesome if Grantland's writers refused to update the site with new pieces, or just gave a splash page with a brief info about the bullshit of the suspension, until ESPN reverses their decision or the suspension runs out.

Discuss Thrower
09-24-2014, 08:28 PM
I actually think it would be awesome if Grantland's writers refused to update the site with new pieces, or just gave a splash page with a brief info about the bullshit of the suspension, until ESPN reverses their decision or the suspension runs out.

Wouldn't ESPN cut bait with Grantland if it came to it?

Because their deal with NFL has to be several dozen times more valuable than the website or Simmons.

GoChargers
09-24-2014, 08:29 PM
Simmons (and his 30 for 30 brainchild) is the only good thing about ESPN in the last 10 years.
I agree that this suspension is bullshit and that 30-for-30 is awesome, but Simmons himself is interminable. The "forced pop culture references + whiny Boston sports homerism" schtick grates on my nerves. And he's even worse on television.

Buck
09-24-2014, 08:29 PM
Let's suspend the guy who is regarded as our best employee for speaking the truth just so we can appease the same guy we've been hammering 24/7 for the last 3 weeks.

Marcellus
09-24-2014, 08:30 PM
Awesome rebuttal, and even better evidence.

"Yeah, ESPN suspended this guy because they just want to get more attention for themselves."

Meanwhile, suspending him sheds light on the incompetency of Goodell again makes them look hypocritical for the punishment they gave out relative to what SAS got a few months back.

Like media doesn't sensationalize things to keep stories afloat.My comment was not ESPN specific but its a good starting point.

ESPN just aired a special calling the NFL a bunch of liars, at least as far as the Ravens are concerned.

So for them to suspend a guy talking shit on Goodell to show they are just playing the middle guy isn't a stretch.

I am not saying I know or guarantee it was planned, I am just saying it wouldn't be a shocker. I have heard plenty of ctiticicm of Goodell on ESPN that hasn't been met with reprimand.

And as far as being off base, yea its off base. The whole Goodell thing is off base.

Its a man hunt trying to take down an unpopular guy who is not a public servant though it seems he expected to be.

No one is even discussing domestic violence any more really.

Furthermore, not a single DV case has occurred since they stiffened the penalties before the Rice video was released. It has all been shit that happened in the off season. All the leauge needs to do is tighten the penalties and implement them reasonably.They have no other obligations.

People are acting like stuff has continued to happen while the leauge has done nothing and thats simply not true.

'Hamas' Jenkins
09-24-2014, 08:32 PM
Wouldn't ESPN cut bait with Grantland if it came to it?

Because their deal with NFL has to be several dozen times more valuable than the website or Simmons.

They certainly would. But Grantland's content is consistently excellent enough, and ESPN's shitty enough, that they would end up putting a major dent in their readership.

Grantland is easily the best sports/pop-culture site on the web. Without ESPN's backing it would probably have to scale back on some of its longer pieces, but I imagine it would get enough unique hits for ad revenue to support it and support it well.

Marcellus
09-24-2014, 08:32 PM
Let's suspend the guy who is regarded as our best employee for speaking the truth just so we can appease the same guy we've been hammering 24/7 for the last 3 weeks.

You dont find it odd he was daring them to do it for some reason?

As you say when they have been hammering Goodell for weeks anyway with no threat of reprimand?

Discuss Thrower
09-24-2014, 08:34 PM
They certainly would. But Grantland's content is consistently excellent enough, and ESPN's shitty enough, that they would end up putting a major dent in their readership.

Grantland is easily the best sports/pop-culture site on the web. Without ESPN's backing it would probably have to scale back on some of its longer pieces, but I imagine it would get enough unique hits for ad revenue to support it and support it well.

Does ESPN really care about whatever hits they get on their website that don't relate to fantasy sports or to echo-chambered-marketed personalities and teams?

Survey says.......

Buck
09-24-2014, 08:34 PM

As you say when they have been hammering Goodell for weeks anyway with no threat of reprimand?

I don't really care. I guess that they are ok with getting rid of their best NBA guy as long as the NFL stays happy. ESPN is nothing without the NFL.

'Hamas' Jenkins
09-24-2014, 08:35 PM
Like media doesn't sensationalize things to keep stories afloat.My comment was not ESPN specific but its a good starting point.

ESPN just aired a special calling the NFL a bunch of liars, at least as far as the Ravens are concerned.

So for them to suspend a guy talking shit on Goodell to show they are just playing the middle guy isn't a stretch.

I am not saying I know or guarantee it was planned, I am just saying it wouldn't be a shocker. I have heard plenty of ctiticicm of Goodell on ESPN that hasn't been met with reprimand.

And as far as being off base, yea its off base. The whole Goodell thing is off base.

Its a man hunt trying to take down an unpopular guy who is not a public servant though it seems he expected to be.

Furthermore, not a single DV case has occurred since they stiffened the penalties before the Rice video was released. It has all been shit that happened in the off season. All the leauge needs to do is tighten the penalties and implement them reasonably.They have no other obligations.

People are acting like stuff has continued to happen while the leauge has done nothing and thats simply not true.

This was almost entirely tangential and not germane to my post at all, but this stuff happened for years while the league did nothing. Do you not know what website you're posting on and what happened in said team's parking lot 20-odd months ago?

'Hamas' Jenkins
09-24-2014, 08:36 PM

Did you even listen to the damn podcast? He was pissed and exasperated and let it be known how he felt about Goodell.

SAUTO
09-24-2014, 08:39 PM

Sounded
Ike he knows something... Maybe. What else does " reprimand me and I'm going public" mean?
Posted via Mobile Device

GoChargers
09-24-2014, 08:40 PM

This is so fucking stupid, I don't even know where to begin. Domestic violence is all over the headlines because of the Ray Rice scandal, it's being talked about far more than usual. And Goodell is not being criticized for not doing enough to stop it, he's being criticized for lying and trying to cover up the Ray Rice scandal on top of all the other shit he's fucked up during his time as commissioner.

No. It's just Simmons trying too hard to sound edgy and controversial, as usual.

I don't really care. I guess that they are ok with getting rid of their best NBA guy as long as the NFL stays happy. ESPN is nothing without the NFL.
ESPN's best NBA guy is probably Marc Stein, but there's really not much competition there. Simmons is a joke.

Sully
They knew what they were in for with Olberman. Plus his show gets great ratings its why they moved him to daytime! Keith gonna be Keith! lol
They know what they've got with Simmons, too.
He's a pretty well known pain in the ass to ESPN, as well. (And also my favorite sports writer/content producer)

Buck
Chris Berman and Tom Jackson should be suspended for saying the same fucking thing every Sunday for the last 20 years. They are the Joe Morgan of Football Broadcasting.

Marcellus
09-24-2014, 08:41 PM
Did you even listen to the damn podcast? He was pissed and exasperated and let it be known how he felt about Goodell.

He is far from the first person to let it be known he hates Goodell. Teddy Bruschi was calling for his head last Sunday on national TV, not on a podacast.

What difference does a bleeped F-bomb make?

Criticism is criticism.

Marcellus
09-24-2014, 08:42 PM
Chris Berman and Tom Jackson should be suspended for saying the same ****ing thing every Sunday for the last 20 years. They are the Joe Morgan of Football Broadcasting.

See now, you get it.

Marcellus
09-24-2014, 08:44 PM
WTF part of the Ray Rice domestic violence case did Goodall cover up? We didn't know he knocked out his woman?

splatbass
09-24-2014, 08:46 PM
Who didn't see that one coming seeing as ESPN and Monday Nite Football pulls in a sizable chunk of change. Three weeks gives them a chance to mull it over with the Lawyers and see if he will tow the line. I kinda think he will step down or be fired.

Yeah, they clearly have a conflict of interest reporting on a business partner that they make a ton of money from. There is no way ESPN can report objectively about the NFL.

Discuss Thrower
09-24-2014, 08:47 PM
WTF part of the Ray Rice domestic violence case did Goodall cover up? We didn't know he knocked out his woman?

They suspended Ray Rice for a duration less than a guy like Josh Gordon whose crime was smoking a plant that is semi-legal in two out of twenty something states the NFL operates in for versus cold-cocking his fiancee.

Buck
09-24-2014, 08:49 PM
Remember when the NFL Network showed Football games as like half it's content? It used to be good. Now it's useless too.

chiefzilla1501
09-24-2014, 08:51 PM
Well now espn lost complete credibility for virtually every show they do that is supposed to be considered journalism. I am glad this happened. Would love for a mass walkout where guys like Simmons and Dan Patrick can all migrate to a place with actual journalistic integrity. What a boost that could give to a media group like yahoo. Imagine if 30 for 30 were offered through yahoo online and grantland could run uncensored through them

Marcellus
09-24-2014, 08:52 PM
They suspended Ray Rice for a duration less than a guy like Josh Gordon whose crime was smoking a plant that is semi-legal in two out of twenty something states the NFL operates in for versus cold-cocking his fiancee.

Thats not a cover up, that's being a dumb ass.

Then they tried to cover up being a dumb ass. Not the same as covering up DV, we knew what happened.

CapsLockKey
09-24-2014, 08:54 PM
I find it hypocritical how ESPN acts like they are championing some cause when they've had their own number of scandals within their own walls.

Discuss Thrower
09-24-2014, 08:58 PM
Remember when the NFL Network showed Football games as like half it's content? It used to be good. Now it's useless too.

I could program the NFL Network and turn it in to the best sports related channel since ESPN premiere during the live season.

cosmo20002
09-24-2014, 09:00 PM
I find it hypocritical how ESPN acts like they are championing some cause when they've had their own number of scandals within their own walls.

ESPN sucks, but what does that mean:shrug:

Discuss Thrower
09-24-2014, 09:00 PM
Thats not a cover up, that's being a dumb ass.

Then they tried to cover up being a dumb ass. Not the same as covering up DV, we knew what happened.

To be quite honest it seems like they're trying to cover up something else entirely. Any Given Sunday and "Playmakers" pretty much told the unbecoming side of professional football that turns out to be pretty spot-on in terms of how things really are.

Buck
09-24-2014, 09:03 PM
I haven't watched ESPN since I don't know when other than MNF or NBA games, but I bet I could go back and watch the last 3 weeks of Around The Horn and PTI and find grounds for suspension for every single host/panelist of those shows.

Sannyasi
09-24-2014, 09:22 PM
Nothing that he said was over the line. Clearly there are just people high up at ESPN who don't like what he does, based on his history there.

Grantland is the only ESPN website worth visiting.

'Hamas' Jenkins
09-24-2014, 09:29 PM
Reminds me of how Norm MacDonald got shitcanned from SNL. He repeated the truth over and over, that OJ fucking murdered his ex-wife and Ron Goldman, and some exec at NBC, who was friends with the lecherous, cocksucking Juice, got butthurt and used a bullshit excuse to fire him.

bigjosh
09-24-2014, 09:32 PM
I think you are all underestimating how much clout espn actually has. You are all acting like the nfl bullies them around, it could just as easily be the other way around. Espn is owned by one of the most successful and profitable media companies in the world.

'Hamas' Jenkins
09-24-2014, 09:35 PM
If the NFL tells Disney to get fucked, every other one of the big five media conglomerates will be chugging cock through a fire hose to get more primetime games.

cosmo20002
09-24-2014, 09:40 PM
I think you are all underestimating how much clout espn actually has. You are all acting like the nfl bullies them around, it could just as easily be the other way around. Espn is owned by one of the most successful and profitable media companies in the world.

Yep. I mean, who pays who here?
What, the NFL is going to say, "Screw you and your multi-billion $ bid for our games. You were too mean."

Discuss Thrower
09-24-2014, 09:41 PM
Reminds me of how Norm MacDonald got shitcanned from SNL. He repeated the truth over and over, that OJ fucking murdered his ex-wife and Ron Goldman, and some exec at NBC, who was friends with the lecherous, cocksucking Juice, got butthurt and used a bullshit excuse to fire him.

You don't think him being one of the uglier guys on the show this side of Rob Schneider had nothing to do with it?

Mennonite
09-24-2014, 09:48 PM
I think the "I'm going to do something that I know my employers don't like and I DARE them to do anything about it" style comments are what got him into trouble. In what job can you do that and get away with it? Besides politics, of course.

If you don't punish an employee who says something like that, you are asking for a lot of trouble from other employees in the future.

tk13
09-24-2014, 09:49 PM
You don't think him being one of the uglier guys on the show this side of Rob Schneider had nothing to do with it?

When has SNL ever put a priority on looks? If you start talking about jaw lines I'm going to have you banned from this thread.

chiefzilla1501
09-24-2014, 09:55 PM

Norm was probably fired for reasons Hamas stated and because he was always high. Both are terrible reasons to fire a terrific comic who was then replaced by Colin Quinn, who has to be the worst weekend update guy in the history of SNL.

Discuss Thrower
09-24-2014, 10:11 PM
Norm was probably fired for reasons Hamas stated and because he was always high. Both are terrible reasons to fire a terrific comic who was then replaced by Colin Quinn, who has to be the worst weekend update guy in the history of SNL.

The being stoned thing makes sense.

And I'm not discounting the OJ connection either, but it seemed to me that Norm wasn't funny enough to outweigh his looks.

Of course he did land a brief role on a brief sitcom so in hindsight I appear to be wrong.

Baby Lee
09-24-2014, 10:12 PM

Norm was arguably the funniest guy on a very funny cast. It was purely butt hurt over the OJ jokes. Also using 'Michael Jackson homosexual pedophile' as a punchline so much.

In a bigger, less pointed, view, Norm wrote Weekend Update to please HIS comic sensibilities. He wasn't as 'vet with the other writers and focus group for audience pleasure' kind of comedian.

Ohlmeyer didn't find him funny, and didn't feel the audience did either. But in the end I think his honesty and bravery makes his humor stand up more than a lot of the crown pleasing stuff.

I get that he's not for everyone, but for those he's for, he's damn near the best.

L.A. Chieffan
09-24-2014, 10:18 PM
What the Fuck. Only reason I go to to ESPN is because of Grantland

L.A. Chieffan
09-24-2014, 10:19 PM
Norm is one of my favorite comics of all time. I watch his podcast all the time

chiefzilla1501
09-24-2014, 10:23 PM

And I'm not discounting the OJ connection either, but it seemed to me that Norm wasn't funny enough to outweigh his looks.

Of course he did land a brief role on a brief sitcom so in hindsight I appear to be wrong.

Norm isn't a sitcom guy which is why his shows failed. Watch Dirty Work to see Norm's work as an actor (even though I think that movie is fucking hilarious, it's clearly not for everyone). As a Weekend Update guy, his job isn't to look pretty. It's not like Kevin Nealon was a great looking guy.

Norm's standup during the ESPY's has to be one of the best I've seen. He'll never be invited back because of the people he pissed off there. The guy is controversial because he says whatever the fuck he wants. One of the reasons I loved watching him.

Discuss Thrower
09-24-2014, 10:24 PM
Regardless of Norm McDonald, the NFL might be the most powerful social body in America. ESPN doesn't want to lose their favor with such a large group so they bend to pressure.

L.A. Chieffan
09-24-2014, 10:25 PM
Norm destroyed the espys

GoChargers
09-24-2014, 10:28 PM
Yep. I mean, who pays who here?
What, the NFL is going to say, "Screw you and your multi-billion $ bid for our games. You were too mean."

The NFL could cut ties with ESPN tomorrow and not only would FOX, CBS, and NBC be jockeying for more rights, you'd probably even see non-traditional outlets like YouTube and Netflix get in on the bidding. The networks need the NFL more than the NFL needs them.... at least for now, until the football bubble bursts.

L.A. Chieffan
09-24-2014, 10:29 PM
I listened to that whole podcast everything he said was absolutely right. The press conference was insulting. If I was Simmons I'd be pissed

Baby Lee
09-24-2014, 10:43 PM
Norm is one of my favorite comics of all time. I watch his podcast all the time

Do you watch up under the Tri-Borough Bridge, passing out hand jobs for $10 a man?

'Hamas' Jenkins
09-24-2014, 10:48 PM
I still crack up when I think about Norm's "Weekend Update" story about dogs trying KFC and claiming it was, "scrotum licking good."

Such an obvious, but beautiful joke.

a pp roach
09-24-2014, 10:49 PM
Capitalist greed at its finest. Oh no, can't let this guy say what he wants.

http://farm7.staticflickr.com/6106/6349217093_7a9aa37a46_b.jpg

a pp roach
09-24-2014, 10:51 PM
LOL at my hypocrisy using an image generated and labeled by someone else.

Fail on all levels here.

L.A. Chieffan
09-24-2014, 10:56 PM
Oh God, norm told this joke on the sagat podcast about a kid who finds a welders mask, I was in tears. There's something about the guy that kills me everytime

Discuss Thrower
09-24-2014, 11:06 PM
I still crack up when I think about Norm's "Weekend Update" story about dogs trying KFC and claiming it was, "scrotum licking good."

Such an obvious, but beautiful joke.

TIL dog bollocks taste like fried chicken.

cosmo20002
09-24-2014, 11:35 PM
The NFL could cut ties with ESPN tomorrow and not only would FOX, CBS, and NBC be jockeying for more rights, you'd probably even see non-traditional outlets like YouTube and Netflix get in on the bidding. The networks need the NFL more than the NFL needs them.... at least for now, until the football bubble bursts.

What's stopping them bidding for rights now, or the last time they were available? They're not cutting ties with anyone. Sure, they are going to just eliminate 20% of the giant media companies. As for the non-traditional outlets, if they really wanted to go that route they would start with putting more games on their own NFL network, rather than less.

cosmo20002
09-24-2014, 11:42 PM
LOL at my hypocrisy using an image generated and labeled by someone else.

Fail on all levels here.

You forgot also that you used imagery implying a lack of freedom when that isn't the case at all. Simmons isn't at risk of going to jail and he's free to not work for ESPN and say whatever he wants.

Baby Lee
09-24-2014, 11:48 PM
Oh God, norm told this joke on the sagat podcast about a kid who finds a welders mask, I was in tears. There's something about the guy that kills me everytime

"hey kid do you know what a blow job is?"
"Mister. In case you can't tell, I'm not really a welder".

Baby Lee
09-24-2014, 11:56 PM

He had two sitcoms that ran 2 seasons apiece, Norm and A Minute the Stan Hooper. He presently has a recurring role as the Dad's brother on The Middle.

His problem isn't talent or marketability. He has a podcast on youtube that people clamor for, and he'll just tune out for 6 months or more at a time if he doesn't 'feel it.' He doesn't drive, even though he lives in LA. He'd rather play golf or hang out with friends than work like a MoFo.

I sense his ideal working life would like Jeff Ross. Get called on to do a roast on Comedy Central once a year or so.

Why Not?
09-25-2014, 12:07 AM
Chris Berman and Tom Jackson should be suspended for saying the same ****ing thing every Sunday for the last 20 years. They are the Joe Morgan of Football Broadcasting.

They should be suspended for fucking with the highlight music on their show. It used to be so cool , now there's about one cool piece, and the rest of the music blows

cosmo20002
09-25-2014, 12:45 AM
He had two sitcoms that ran 2 seasons apiece, Norm and A Minute the Stan Hooper. He presently has a recurring role as the Dad's brother on The Middle.

His problem isn't talent or marketability. He has a podcast on youtube that people clamor for, and he'll just out for 6 months or more at a time if he doesn't 'feel it.' He doesn't drive, even though he lives in LA. He'd rather play golf or hang out with friends than work like a MoFo.

I sense his ideal working life would like Jeff Ross. Get called on to do a roast on Comedy Central once a year or so.

Huh, something Baby Lee doesn't know--
Sports Show with Norm Macdonald on Comedy Central. Ran for about 10 episodes. I thought it was funny, except for the bits taped outside of the studio which always bombed.

a pp roach
09-25-2014, 01:01 AM
You forgot also that you used imagery implying a lack of freedom when that isn't the case at all. Simmons isn't at risk of going to jail and he's free to not work for ESPN and say whatever he wants.

So just dismiss ESPN's blame here? I'm talking about economic freedom on an everyone level. Sure, he can do what he wants and not work for ESPN. Pretty sure he already knew that.

The bigger problem is that this is something they felt the need to take some sort of action on, while not acknowledging or divulging the actual info about the story.

splatbass
09-25-2014, 01:12 AM
So just dismiss ESPN's blame here? I'm talking about economic freedom on an everyone level. Sure, he can do what he wants and not work for ESPN. Pretty sure he already knew that.

He is free to say what he wants. ESPN, as his employer, is free to say that it isn't acceptable to them and suspend him. This is how freedom works. The 1st Amendment protects you from government censorship, it does not protect you from the consequences from outside the government for your speech. Freedom works for all, even ESPN.

In other words, you have freedom of speech, you do not have freedom from criticism of that speech.

If you truly believed in (and understood) freedom you would understand this.

Baby Lee
09-25-2014, 01:22 AM
Huh, something Baby Lee doesn't know--
Sports Show with Norm Macdonald on Comedy Central. Ran for about 10 episodes. I thought it was funny, except for the bits taped outside of the studio which always bombed.

That wasn't a network sitcom, though. Just Norm being Norm on basic cable. The outside the studio bits were Kyle Mooney who's now on SNL. He also did the 'clueless' same character on Parks and Recreation.

a pp roach
09-25-2014, 01:30 AM
He is free to say what he wants. ESPN, as his employer, is free to say that it isn't acceptable to them and suspend him. This is how freedom works. The 1st Amendment protects you from government censorship, it does not protect you from the consequences from outside the government for your speech. Freedom works for all, even ESPN.

In other words, you have freedom of speech, you do not have freedom from criticism of that speech.

If you truly believed in (and understood) freedom you would understand this.

I'm saying ESPN isn't displaying freedom. They're displaying loyalty to their "king" Goodell who they don't want anything bad said about...so they're actually not free, but controlled by the power of the dollar.

splatbass
09-25-2014, 01:38 AM
I'm saying ESPN isn't displaying freedom. They're displaying loyalty to their "king" Goodell who they don't want anything bad said about...so they're actually not free, but controlled by the power of the dollar.

I'm saying you are wrong. They are doing what they are doing from free will. No one is forcing them to do it.

I assume you have a job. By keeping that job, you are "displaying loyalty to" your king employer and controlled by the power of the dollar, right?

No one is losing their freedom in this situation. Not Bill Simmons, not ESPN. No one.

a pp roach
09-25-2014, 01:50 AM
It's the aristocrat mentality that keeps them held back and forcing them to give in. I'm not saying I'm any different. It's just that with situations like this where clearly they're in the wrong for letting this slide as much as they did, it seems they sided with the commissioner by taking up for him here.

It's the illuminati doing what it does best: Be dicks.

LoneWolf
09-25-2014, 04:49 AM

What?!?! A business that was created for the sole purpose of generating a profit is controlled by the power of the dollar? That's madness!!!

http://www.phil.my/blog/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/this_is_madness-11728.jpg

Walk into your bosses office and go on a rant about one if your companies biggest customers and then dare your boss to say anything about your rant. I'll bet you get more than a suspension.

splatbass
09-25-2014, 09:05 AM
It's the illuminati doing what it does best: Be dicks.

Oh no, not another delusional conspiracy theorist. :facepalm:

There is no centuries old organization that controls everything in the world. There are individual rich people and companies that contribute money to politicians to influence things in their favor - as there always has been - but it isn't some vast conspiracy controlled by a powerful oligarchy passed down for hundreds of years. It is just rich people doing what rich people do.

vailpass
09-25-2014, 09:33 AM
Don't bite the hand that feeds you...

Mr. Laz
09-25-2014, 09:43 AM
I bet it has as much to do with his lack of respect with all that 'i dare you to suspend me' crap than it did the NFL. Tons of people have said similar things about the NFL and Goodell and not gotten into trouble.

vailpass
09-25-2014, 09:46 AM
I bet it has as much to do with his lack of respect with all that 'i dare you to suspend me' crap than it did the NFL. Tons of people have said similar things about the NFL and Goodell and not gotten into trouble.

Yep. Just like with kids. You asked for it, you got it. Anyone else feeling froggy?

KCUnited
09-25-2014, 09:49 AM
The "I'm going public" thing is interesting. I hope that happens.

Mr. Laz
09-25-2014, 10:09 AM
Yep. Just like with kids. You asked for it, you got it. Anyone else feeling froggy?

Teddy Bruschi jumps at any chance he gets to trash Goodell and he stays employed.

GloryDayz
09-25-2014, 10:19 AM
Meh, people make choices.... He had the right to free speech, he exercised it, and they did their thing.

I'm sure the NFL/ESPN will get a black eye for this, but I'm fine with it...

EyePod
09-25-2014, 10:23 AM
Uhhhhh... okay.

What was the crime here, other tham talking shit on an insanely litigious billion dollar industry.

What crime? He's in an at-will employment contract with ESPN. They can do whatever they want to him. He's also free to leave (and take a huge chunk of readers away).

Mr. Laz
09-25-2014, 10:44 AM
Meh, people make choices.... He had the right to free speech, he exercised it, and they did their thing.

I'm sure the NFL/ESPN will get a black eye for this, but I'm fine with it...
Link? (about the NFL having anything to do with this)

vailpass
09-25-2014, 10:45 AM
Teddy Bruschi jumps at any chance he gets to trash Goodell and he stays employed.

True. I'm not at all interested in the player turned talking head that uses sensationalism to make a name for himself.
Except for Barkley, love that guy...

cosmo20002
09-25-2014, 12:55 PM

I don't have any particular love for Goodell or ESPN, and I do like Simmons.
However, this "they are protecting their king Goodell" is just nonsense. ESPN covered the Ray Rice stuff, then Adrian Peterson, thoroughly. They had many people on criticizing the NFL and Goodell, often harshly.

Simmons has something of a rep for going a little overboard and apparently he's been suspended or disciplined before. He went off on a profanity-filled rant here. I'm not defending ESPN or saying I agree with them, but I guess I can understand them not wanting an employee or whatever he is to them to go off on profanity-filled rants.

Also, your comment that "they're actually not free, but controlled by the power of the dollar" sounds like something a socialist or communist might say.

Discuss Thrower
09-25-2014, 12:59 PM
Candy-ass moderators at /r/NFL are suppressing any thread about Simmons' suspension.

cosmo20002
09-25-2014, 01:02 PM
The "I'm going public" thing is interesting. I hope that happens.

I think he meant that if he gets a call from a suit at ESPN telling him he's in trouble that he would "go public" with telling people that he got in trouble over this. He was on a rant. It doesn't make a lot of sense.

If there was some secret he was going to go public with, ESPN obviously didn't care--because they not only called to say he's in trouble, they suspended him for three weeks.

DeathByArrows
09-25-2014, 01:04 PM
Candy-ass moderators at /r/NFL are suppressing any thread about Simmons' suspension.

There's your problem right there.

Discuss Thrower
09-25-2014, 01:06 PM
There's your problem right there.

Say what you will about the Hive minded mentality of the neckbeards that comprise the majority of Redditors, the site is a wonderful content aggregator and /r/NFL was one of the better sections of the site.

'Hamas' Jenkins
09-25-2014, 01:08 PM
"It's true that the emperor doesn't have any clothes, but the emperor's doesn't like to be told it, and the emperor's lapdogs like [ESPN] aren't going to enjoy the experience if you do."

Substitute ESPN for NYT and you have a Chomsky quote that perfectly describes what happened here.

Marcellus
09-25-2014, 01:09 PM
Simmons was banned from twitter (lol) earlier this year. Seems like he may have had some suits at the top on edge before this.

'Hamas' Jenkins
I really wish Congress would strip the NFL of its antitrust exemption.

KCUnited
I think he meant that if he gets a call from a suit at ESPN telling him he's in trouble that he would "go public" with telling people that he got in trouble over this. He was on a rant. It doesn't make a lot of sense.

If there was some secret he was going to go public with, ESPN obviously didn't care--because they not only called to say he's in trouble, they suspended him for three weeks.

It is an ambiguous comment, but surely he wouldn't have to go public with getting in trouble, that's going to happen on it's own. I do agree though, that if ESPN did have something that could confirm that Goodell lied in some way about the Rice video/handling, TMZ or some other news outlet would've had it by now on their own.

I'm hoping he goes full Whitlock "The Explanation" with some exec/Michael Sam love triangle type stuff.

'Hamas' Jenkins
09-25-2014, 01:11 PM
Simmons was banned from twitter (lol) earlier this year. Seems like he may have had some suits at the top on edge before this.

He's been suspended from Twitter a few times. The last time was for a tweet about Skip Bayless, who fabricates shit and throws it against the wall for a living.

http://deadspin.com/5989414/bill-simmons-calls-the-bayless-sherman-first-take-meltdown-awful-and-embarrassing

That was what he was suspended for last time, too. Calling stupid bullshit stupid bullshit.

Hootie
09-25-2014, 01:24 PM
It's only slander if it's false.

'Hamas' Jenkins
09-25-2014, 01:24 PM

And for it to be winnable in court against a public figure you have to have "malicious intent" and "reckless disregard for the truth."

Pure CYA move by ESPN

KC Hawks
09-25-2014, 01:32 PM
I'm just pissed that we're going to miss the "Guess the Lines" podcast the next three weeks. I look forward to drunk Bill Simmons voicemail messages to Cousin Sal.

Hootie
09-25-2014, 01:47 PM
If anyone truly thinks Goodell and the Ravens didn't really see the "inside the elevator" tape days after the incident happened...they're incredibly naive. It's insulting the NFL continues to lie to us and also hilarious. At this point more hilarious than insulting.

GloryDayz
09-25-2014, 03:00 PM
Link? (about the NFL having anything to do with this)

No clue. I'm assuming the OP was true and some guy was suspended for speaking his mind about the NFL/Goodell. If that's wrong, good for him...

blaise
09-25-2014, 03:03 PM
I think ESPN is perfectly happy that #FREESIMMONS trends on twitter.

Discuss Thrower
09-25-2014, 03:26 PM
Gotta love this bit in reference to ESPN being unwilling to hire Jim Rome in '93

We schedule a meeting for the next morning. John comes, looks at me, and says, 'You're going to ruin the journalistic integrity of this network, which we've built up all these years. We're finally getting to a point where we are the real deal in sports journalism, and this guy's going to blow it all in a week on the air.'

Source (http://deadspin.com/5873815/jim-rome-left-partly-because-of-stuff-said-about-him-in-the-espn-book)

WhiteWhale
09-25-2014, 04:57 PM

You also have to prove that the person KNEW it was false and said it with malicious intent.

It's really hard to prove slander.