PDA

View Full Version : Royals Moments/ emotions from last night you'll never forget

TLO
10-01-2014, 07:26 AM
Feeling like I'd been kicked in the balls and had my lunch money stolen after Moss put the A's up 2-0.

......The silence from the crowd after the HR happened.

Brandon Finnegan. I mean... Brandon K. Finnegan. Amazing.

Watching Billy Butler wander off first- wondering what had just happened.

Being so excited that Moose seems to have learned to hit the ball opo.

The look of despair on the face of Ventura after giving up a huge HR, (**** you Moss).

Watching Gore being put into the game, and KNOWING he was going to steal second successfully.

The crowd shots of the fans with the same look of despair that Ventura showed earlier in the night.

Dyson stealing 3rd. Again, KNOWING he would steal 3rd, and that he'd be succuessful.

Aoki hitting the deep fly ball to right. (I thought that ball had a chance to get out)

The feeling that we deserved to lose the game after failing to get a big hit to win the game.

The joy watching Hosmer hit that triple.

The joy watching Colon get the tying run home.

The joy watching Perez get the game winning hit

The tears that came after it set in that we had won our first playoff game in 29 years.

Please share some of what you experienced-

ptlyon
10-01-2014, 07:30 AM
The dump from This morning I'll never forget

tooge
10-01-2014, 07:31 AM
All of it. I went to the garage when they went down 7-3 to work on the jeep. Listened on the radio. All of a sudden, it's 7-6 when I decide I have to see it. Made my poor son go to bed at 11pm. He says, "well, it was a pretty good year anyhow" as the A's just scored. Woke him up this morning and let him watch the bottom of the 12th which I recorded. We jumped around like crazy again.

DJJasonp
10-01-2014, 07:32 AM
Everything. ...and the fact that I'm on business trip on the east coast.....I'm exhausted today....but it's a good exhausted. Colon Hosmer Perez dyson.....they paid back yost for his loyalty....and maybe saved him his job for the epic shields mistake. But aside from that....and ladies is great today....might have to go up to Anaheim for game 2!

DJJasonp
10-01-2014, 07:33 AM
Stupid auto correct

KCUnited
10-01-2014, 07:34 AM
The gun shots overheard in KCMO actually meaning something good happened.

Gonzo
10-01-2014, 07:42 AM
Fucking Yost trying to give the game away. Seriously? WTF

Gonzo
10-01-2014, 07:43 AM
However, it may go down in history as one of (if not the best) playoff games ever.

WilliamTheIrish
10-01-2014, 07:46 AM
However, it may go down in history as one of (if not the best) playoff games ever.

To come from down 4 against a pitcher who led the Red Sox to the World Series title last season, who has essentially dominated this team in his career, is such sweet, sweet justice.

Big Poppa Payne
10-01-2014, 07:47 AM
All of it. I went to the garage when they went down 7-3 to work on the jeep. Listened on the radio. All of a sudden, it's 7-6 when I decide I have to see it. Made my poor son go to bed at 11pm. He says, "well, it was a pretty good year anyhow" as the A's just scored. Woke him up this morning and let him watch the bottom of the 12th which I recorded. We jumped around like crazy again.

That's awesome! He'll never forget that :)

BigMeatballDave
10-01-2014, 07:51 AM
The look of despair on the face of Ventura after giving up a huge HR, (**** you Yost).

Certainly you meant to say this.

Molitoth
10-01-2014, 07:55 AM

During his innings was something special, even on TV... you could just FEEL it.

journeyscarab
10-01-2014, 07:57 AM
I just had a feeling after all the build up, the excitement, the waiting all these years by the die hard fans (I haven't been a stone cold fan but I'm hooked in now!) that this just wasn't going to end with a loss. There was just something electric in the air that said it wasn't over just yet. I'm in, I'm excited and I have a good feeling that the ride continues!

GO ROYALS!

Chiefspants
10-01-2014, 07:58 AM
Among all of the unbelievable emotions that ran through me throughout last night's game (and the many I have yet to process), this stands out the most inside my memory.

As a diehard fan for eleven seasons, hearing Denny Matthews open up the Royals playoff game in front of an ELECTRIC Kauffman Stadium.

Chills.

siberian khatru
10-01-2014, 07:59 AM
<iframe src='http://m.mlb.com/shared/video/embed/embed.html?content_id=36715613&topic_id=8877722&width=400&height=224&property=mlb' width='400' height='224' frameborder='0'>Your browser does not support iframes.</iframe>

siberian khatru
10-01-2014, 08:03 AM
I had been sitting pretty calmly and silently by myself for most of the game while my son and wife slept upstairs. But when Salvy got the hit, I jumped up and just SCREAMED as loud as I have ever screamed, over and over and over, pounding a countertop. My family came running downstairs to see what the hell was going on. I tried to explain, but I had pretty much blown out my voice in those 30 seconds. I just told them it would take an hour to recount every crazy turn of that game, and it simply was one of the greatest postseason games in baseball history.

After they left, I just sat down and wept.

Reerun_KC
10-01-2014, 08:08 AM
Going to bed in the 6th, getting up in the 9th, going back to bed in the 12th and said fuck it..

Watched the rest on gamecast and CP....

Bob Dole
10-01-2014, 08:10 AM
Bob Dole couldn't take any more and went to bed after the 10th.

Screamed like a little girl when he woke up and saw they had pulled out the win. Awesome.

Crush
10-01-2014, 08:12 AM
Everything. Words can't even describe.

WilliamTheIrish
10-01-2014, 08:13 AM
Sib kat, I hadn't seen that video. That's just hilarious and beautiful.

SAUTO
10-01-2014, 08:13 AM
just the up and own emotions of the whole game, could have KILLED yost when he fucked us

CoMoChief
10-01-2014, 08:28 AM
Dyson stealing 3rd was one I will never forget.

that move took balls.

Why Not?
10-01-2014, 08:35 AM
The confidence in the base stealers

Butler and Hosmer, after sucking all year, play the game of their lives

Texting a concession to my A's fan neighbor in the top of the 8th,asking him to go easy on me

The fans at the K. Best baseball crowd ever!

Finnegan!

Yost! Those ! Couldn't be more different

The emotions of the game thread

My wife staying up all game and being as excited as me

Finally, what her and I did with the remaining excitement.

One of my best nights in awhile

LoneWolf
10-01-2014, 08:37 AM
Me and my father jumping up and down and hugging each other after Salvy's grounder went by the third basemen and then both of us tearing up watching the players celebrate. I'll never forget it.

WhawhaWhat
10-01-2014, 08:38 AM
I was so mad last night after the Yost/Ventura debacle that I left the bar I was at to go home. Still watched/listened to every moment of the game but I was so mad and wanted to kill anyone that said "Typical Royals" that I just needed to be by myself.

It all worked out in the end and I was all feels in the 12th.

WilliamTheIrish
10-01-2014, 08:39 AM
Texting a concession to my A's fan neighbor in the top of the 8th,asking him to go easy on me

No way. Never concede to an opposing fan. NEVER!

lcarus
10-01-2014, 08:41 AM
I remember thinkin after the 7th inning stretch "This shit isn't fucking over. They're at least gonna get the tying run to the plate at some point." When all the beaten down KC fans in the game thread (can't blame you honestly) were just deflated.

Dave Lane
10-01-2014, 08:46 AM
Everything. Words can't even describe.

This. Amazing, couldn't get to sleep till 2 o'clock I was so excited. **** anyone that posts a chiefs thread on a day like this.

Molitoth
10-01-2014, 08:47 AM
I showered and watched an episode of Chuggington with my daughter to calm down during the bottom of the sixth and top of the seventh.

After I accepted loss and refilled my scotch, I went back to the basement and enjoyed one of the most exciting endings ever.

Dave Lane
10-01-2014, 08:49 AM
just the up and own emotions of the whole game, could have KILLED yost when he ****ed us

I turned it off after the homer. It was my wtf moment of the year. Then the slow draw back in. Glorious to kill the As like that fuck them.

Andoverer
10-01-2014, 09:03 AM
I loved the look on the face of George Brett as he realised the game was won at last. That was gold

lcarus
10-01-2014, 09:06 AM
Finally, what her and I did with the remaining excitement.

Sounds like you had a really REALLY good night. Way to fucking go. :thumb:

Bearcat
10-01-2014, 09:08 AM
After the game a few weeks ago when they came back in the bottom of the 9th by scoring from 2nd on a wild pitch and then Gore scoring from 2nd on an infield hit, I knew better than to turn it off..... but damn, it takes a lot to overcome Yost.

I saw tickets on stubhub go down to about $100-125/each in the lower half of the upper deck about an hour before the game, but didn't pull the trigger... hard to feel bad about it after thinking about all the years of failure for both teams, and it was still pretty awesome from the couch.... and the beer was better.

petegz28
10-01-2014, 09:14 AM
Hope to despair with one swing of the bat in the top of the 1st.
Back to hope in the bottom of the 1st despite Yost's dumb ass
Jubilation when we go up by 1 in the bottom of the 3rd
Confusion when Ventura gets brought in instead of Kelvin or as I wanted then, Finnigan
Back to despair in the top of the 6th when we give up 5
Grasping at straws and saying prayers when we pull within 1 in the bottom of the 8th
Beyond happy but still worried when we tied it in the bottom of the 9th
Feeling defeat snatched from the jaws of victory as we wasted scoring chance after scoring chance in extras
"It can't end like this" is what I said to myself when the A's took the lead in the 12th
"HOLY SHIT! HOSMER YOU STUD!"
"Colon, COLON!"
"BENCH SALVY!! HE SUCKS ASS! WHY IS HE BATTING?!??!"
"SALVY I LOVE YOU, YOU HUG ME SON OF A BITCH!!!!!"

Katipan
10-01-2014, 09:15 AM
You people are so adorable. I can't wait to see what it's like when the Chiefs ever do something.

Grown ass men. Awesome.

lcarus
10-01-2014, 09:18 AM
You people are so adorable. I can't wait to see what it's like when the Chiefs ever do something.

Grown ass men. Awesome.

That's the thing about sports. It brings the kid out in me sometimes.

TLO
10-01-2014, 09:19 AM

Grown ass men. Awesome.

:grouphug:

siberian khatru
10-01-2014, 09:32 AM
I would not recommend doing this:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/uS4Rk-oL0As" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

milkman
10-01-2014, 10:01 AM
My wife went into the kitchen to get fix some dinner as the game headed to the bottom of the 8th, as we decided to turn off the game and watch our recording of Castle while we ate.

By the time she finished, the Royals were back in the game.

Simply Red
10-01-2014, 10:04 AM
I don't care what anyone says - I've followed Yost for a long long time, you have yourself a good manager there in KC.

Simply Red
10-01-2014, 10:06 AM
I would not recommend doing this:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/uS4Rk-oL0As" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

That was awesome.

cmh6476
I love you guy

Simply Red
I love you guy

Thanks bud, ILY2

Pablo
10-01-2014, 11:41 AM
The combination of sickness/sadness I experienced when Ventura gave up that three run shot. You could read it all over his face. He thought he'd just killed our season; and I felt bad for him and terrible as a fan. Just took the air out of my lungs.

Then the near heart attack from the 8th inning on every time anything happened. I stood two feet from the TV pounding my fist on the stand every time we did anything good. I felt like my heart and brain were tearing apart inside my body. It was excruciating.

Post season baseball is the best and worst thing ever. I don't know how I'm going to hold up the entire time.

Pitt Gorilla
10-01-2014, 11:43 AM
Hosmer doing work all night and his emotion throughout.

Salvy's horrible plate discipline delivering the winning run.

Pitt Gorilla
10-01-2014, 11:44 AM
I don't care what anyone says - I've followed Yost for a long long time, you have yourself a good manager there in KC.
No

lcarus
10-01-2014, 11:45 AM

Salvy's horrible plate discipline delivering the winning run.

Yeah and it just HAD to end with Salvy getting the winning hit. Baseball is a game of redemption.

Pablo
10-01-2014, 11:47 AM

Salvy's horrible plate discipline delivering the winning run.LMAO

It was atrocious. My wife asked if he was ever going to stop swinging at bad pitches; I told her "No, we'll just have to hope he makes contact with one of them and it comes off his bat the right way".

Pitt Gorilla
10-01-2014, 11:51 AM
Again, I'll never forget yost taking shields out of the game. I didn't care who he brought in; shields was brought here for this very reason. You let him go as far as he can as he clearly still had it.

Strongside
10-01-2014, 11:53 AM
<iframe src='http://m.mlb.com/shared/video/embed/embed.html?content_id=36715613&topic_id=8877722&width=400&height=224&property=mlb' width='400' height='224' frameborder='0'>Your browser does not support iframes.</iframe>

Guthrie is hilarious. "American League playoff record. I warmed up the Left Fielder 12 times. We set a lot of records. Hats off to me. Hats off to G-Baby Gore."

Strongside
10-01-2014, 11:54 AM
The thing I wont ever forget is just the pure emotionally draining roller coaster that the game was as a whole. I was so emotionally spent after the game it was incredible. I had tears in my eyes, but I saw about 15 grown men and women sobbing in the stands. I've never seen anything like it. Just pure euphoria.

Why Not?
10-01-2014, 11:56 AM
Sounds like you had a really REALLY good night. Way to ****ing go. :thumb:

Might have been my best night of the year. Thanks

Simply Red
10-01-2014, 11:58 AM
Oh Heck, I'll admit it.

I turned off RedTube and started fapping to that game.

Simply Red
10-01-2014, 11:58 AM
No

yes.

DiaperBoy27
10-01-2014, 11:59 AM
When we were down a run in the 12th and I thought we were gonna lose, I texted my buddy that this and game 6 between STL and TEX a couple years ago were the 2 best playoff games ever (even though we are gonna lose). Then we came back to win. Best of all time.

J Diddy
10-01-2014, 12:18 PM
I'm a dude. All emotions I have are kept internally until I explode.

Mr. Arrowhead
10-01-2014, 12:18 PM
I was at the game last night, that was probably my most memorable live sporting event ever. It still feels like a dream.

gblowfish
10-01-2014, 12:36 PM
My dad has been gone for three years. He put the KC sports in my blood. When I was 26, I took him to the 7th game of the World Series in 1985 to pay him back for all the games he took me to as a kid and as a teenager. He took me to Chicago to see the Chiefs play. We took a train ride back then. He took me to the Dolphins-Chiefs game -last played at old Municipal Stadium. He took me to the first Chiefs game vs. St. Louis Football Cardinals when Arrowhead opened. He took me to the 1973 MLB All Star Game at (then) Royals Stadium. He took me to Mizzou games (football and basketball) when I was in grade school.

He was a great fan. He got to see the Chiefs and Royals win it all just one time each in his lifetime, and he was 81 when he passed.

I tell you all this, because he was also nervous as a long tail cat in a room full of rocking chairs during crunch time. I remember lots of occasions, especially with the Chiefs on road games, he would just get up and walk out of the house. He'd walk around the block. He'd pace back and forth in the back yard, He'd go down in the basement and do laundry.

"Why, Dad?" "I don't wanna jinx them," he'd say.

You see, when your life is Mizzou, and the Chiefs, and the Royals, you get that thousand yard stare, waiting for the clown car moment. You just dread it and expect it. You expect disaster, and are relieved if its anything but. He'd been fifth downed and Tyus Edney'ed by Mizzou. He'd been Christmas Day Screwed by Stenerud. Arrowhead screwed by Elway and the Kicker Who Shall Remain Nameless. Royal screwed by the 1970's A's, the 1980's Yanks and by Pete the Cheat Rose and the Phillies in the 1980 WS. The man had reason to fear.

I inherited that from my dad, I'm exactly....EXACTLY....the same way.

So last night after the first homer, I went downstairs and did laundry and paid some bills. I came back upstairs, just in time to see the Royals back up 3-2, and the pitching change to Ventura. Sure enough....Yosted immediately. So I turn the TV off, put the radio on with Denny Matthews, lay down and try to sleep. But I can't sleep. The Royals start to crawl back into it. The 8th inning comes around, the Royals can't break through. My wife comes home from her community theater meeting. "How are the Royals doing? Why aren't you watching the game?"

"I can't. I'll jinx them."

Wife says "Is the game still on?"

"Yes dear."

So she goes into the bedroom and turns the TV back on. I hear the Royals tie it up.

I go for a walk in the back yard.

I come back in, it's now the 12th, Royals are coming up, down by a run.

I go back down into the basement. Can't watch this.

I hear whooping upstairs. Colon has driven in Hosmer.

I fear going back upstairs, but have to. I slowly sneak back to the bedroom, just in time to see Salvey slap his hit past the third base bag.

My wife and I jump around like eight year olds. We kiss, and go to sleep.

And I dreamed about my dad.

J Diddy
10-01-2014, 12:40 PM

:thumb:

Why Not?
10-01-2014, 12:42 PM
My dad has been gone for three years. He put the KC sports in my blood. When I was 26, I took him to the 7th game of the World Series in 1985 to pay him back for all the games he took me to as a kid and as a teenager. He took me to Chicago to see the Chiefs play. We took a train ride back then. He took me to the Dolphins-Chiefs game -last played at old Municipal Stadium. He took me to the first Chiefs game vs. St. Louis Football Cardinals when Arrowhead opened. He took me to the 1973 MLB All Star Game at (then) Royals Stadium. He took me to Mizzou games (football and basketball) when I was in grade school.

He was a great fan. He got to see the Chiefs and Royals win it all just one time each in his lifetime, and he was 81 when he passed.

I tell you all this, because he was also nervous as a long tail cat in a room full of rocking chairs during crunch time. I remember lots of occasions, especially with the Chiefs on road games, he would just get up and walk out of the house. He's walk around the block. He'd pace back and forth in the back yard, He's go down in the basement and do laundry.

You see, when your life is Mizzou, and the Chiefs, and the Royals, you get that thousand yard stare, waiting for the clown car moment. You just dread it and expect it. You expect disaster, and are relieved if its anything but. He'd been fifth downed and Tyus Edney'ed by Mizzou. He'd been Christmas Day Screwed by Stenerud. Arrowhead screwed by Elway and the Kicker Who Shall Remain Nameless. Royal screwed by the 1970's A's, the 1980's Yanks and by Pete the Cheat Rose and the Phillies in the 1980 WS. The man had reason to fear.

So last night after the first homer, I went downstairs and did laundry and paid some bills. I came back upstairs, just in time to see the Royals back up 3-2, and the pitching change to Ventura. Sure enough....Yosted immediately. So I turn the TV off, put the radio on with Denny Matthews, lay down and try to sleep. But I can't sleep. They Royals start to crawl back into it. The 8th inning comes around, the Royals can't break through. then they give up a run in the 9th on a hit by an Ex-Royal (Callaspo.) My wife comes home from her community theater meeting. "How are the Royals doing? Why aren't you watching the game?"

"Yes dear."

So she goes into the bedroom and turns the TV back on. I hear the Royals tie it up.

I come back in, it's now the 12th, Royals are up.

I fear going back upstairs, but have to. I slowly sneak back to the bedroom, just in time to see Salvey slap his hit past the third base bag.

My wife and I jump around like eight year olds. We kiss, and go to to sleep.

Clear day here, not sure where this dust just came from?

Hootie
10-01-2014, 12:42 PM
Everything. I'll never forget anything.

WilliamTheIrish
10-01-2014, 12:44 PM
Gb, that beautiful. One day, we must exchange stories.

Hootie
10-01-2014, 12:44 PM
What an amazing fan George is

Old Dog
10-01-2014, 01:03 PM

That's odd....my allergies are acting up as well.

TLO
10-01-2014, 01:18 PM
Thanks for sharing George.

WakkaWakka
10-01-2014, 01:30 PM

I tell you all this, because he was also nervous as a long tail cat in a room full of rocking chairs during crunch time. I remember lots of occasions, especially with the Chiefs on road games, he would just get up and walk out of the house. He's walk around the block. He'd pace back and forth in the back yard, He's go down in the basement and do laundry.

So last night after the first homer, I went downstairs and did laundry and paid some bills. I came back upstairs, just in time to see the Royals back up 3-2, and the pitching change to Ventura. Sure enough....Yosted immediately. So I turn the TV off, put the radio on with Denny Matthews, lay down and try to sleep. But I can't sleep. They Royals start to crawl back into it. The 8th inning comes around, the Royals can't break through. then they give up a run in the 9th on a hit by an Ex-Royal (Callaspo.) My wife comes home from her community theater meeting. "How are the Royals doing? Why aren't you watching the game?"

"Yes dear."

Thank you so much for sharing George. It sure was a nerve racking game. I was watching watching with my buddy who is 24 yrs old and a lifelong Royals fan. As I stated in another post, I've only been a Royals fan since 2007. But when we won, my buddy and I just broke down, hugged and high fived, so much emotions. So proud of the Royals for rising up to the challenge and not giving up. Even prouder of the fans at the K who didnt leave. The fans never gave up. And the team felt that(a few players have even stated this) and thats what drove them. Im sure you father was looking down smiling. Why stop here? Let's keep going Royals!

TLO
10-01-2014, 01:46 PM
I feel a little conflicted now-

Part of me is satisfied. I feel like it's all gravy from here on out.

Part of me wants more. Something in me feels like this is a team of destiny or something corny like that.

I'm not sure how I'm going to survive if the Royals keep going. :jester:

siberian khatru
10-01-2014, 02:02 PM

So last night after the first homer, I went downstairs and did laundry and paid some bills. I came back upstairs, just in time to see the Royals back up 3-2, and the pitching change to Ventura. Sure enough....Yosted immediately. So I turn the TV off, put the radio on with Denny Matthews, lay down and try to sleep. But I can't sleep. The Royals start to crawl back into it. The 8th inning comes around, the Royals can't break through. then they give up a run in the 9th on a hit by an Ex-Royal (Callaspo.) My wife comes home from her community theater meeting. "How are the Royals doing? Why aren't you watching the game?"

"Yes dear."

I'm very much like you and your old man, George, only I can't walk away. I just sit there and take it and stew, watching it all unfold. On rare occasions like last night (and Saturday with Mizzou vs. Carolina), that is rewarded by seeing it play out in all its glory, one step at a time.

You remember each mounting emotion: They're dead. Ah, now they're teasing me. OK, maybe they will come back. Hey, we might just do this! Man, I bet they fail right here, right on the edge of success. HOLY SHIT, THEY DID IT!!!!!

acesn8s
10-01-2014, 02:19 PM
Blue October - The Chills: http://youtu.be/Oeum1rx3SlQ

This is what I felt.

tomahawk kid
10-01-2014, 02:20 PM
Guthrie is hilarious. "American League playoff record. I warmed up the Left Fielder 12 times. We set a lot of records. Hats off to me. Hats off to G-Baby Gore."

Why are we burning boats? And Crosses? Why are we going on boats to get titles and then burning said boats?

I'm so confused.

Fish
10-01-2014, 02:34 PM
This guy...

http://i61.tinypic.com/vgk6dz.jpg

siberian khatru
10-01-2014, 02:39 PM
This guy...

The love child of Rollie Fingers and Ron Swanson.

SAUTO
10-01-2014, 03:01 PM

I tell you all this, because he was also nervous as a long tail cat in a room full of rocking chairs during crunch time. I remember lots of occasions, especially with the Chiefs on road games, he would just get up and walk out of the house. He'd walk around the block. He'd pace back and forth in the back yard, He's go down in the basement and do laundry.

So last night after the first homer, I went downstairs and did laundry and paid some bills. I came back upstairs, just in time to see the Royals back up 3-2, and the pitching change to Ventura. Sure enough....Yosted immediately. So I turn the TV off, put the radio on with Denny Matthews, lay down and try to sleep. But I can't sleep. The Royals start to crawl back into it. The 8th inning comes around, the Royals can't break through. then they give up a run in the 9th on a hit by an Ex-Royal (Callaspo.) My wife comes home from her community theater meeting. "How are the Royals doing? Why aren't you watching the game?"

"Yes dear."

And I dreamed about my dad.the a's were up in the 12th...

otherwise great story, its awful dusty in here.

SAUTO
10-01-2014, 03:02 PM
This guy...

i have that same hat somewhere.

gblowfish
10-01-2014, 03:08 PM
the a's were up in the 12th...

otherwise great story, its awful dusty in here.

Royals up as is "up at bat." I should have been more clear...

Meatloaf
10-01-2014, 04:29 PM

Mr Gblowfish, you were perfectly clear. In fact your whole wonderful, beautiful, intoxicating, magnificent story was clear. Thanks for sharing. :thumb:

shitgoose
10-01-2014, 04:34 PM
Things were crazy before the game even started. My brother bought what he thought were wild card tickets but were actually tickets for the AL tie breaker game. We ended up sneaking into the game and stood out in right center for the entire game. Game was unreal and I still can't believe we got in. Best first playoff game ever

10-01-2014, 04:40 PM
Nothing. I don't have cable and missed the whole thing other than monitoring mlb.com

Bob Dole
10-01-2014, 04:46 PM

Similar behavior here. Stupid hotel had no TBS (although it is clearly listed on the laminated channel lineup card next to the TV). Fine...they will do better if Bob Dole isn't jinxing it by watching. Check in after top of 1st and see 2-0. Ugh.

Resist checking for awhile so as no to make it worse. Checking, going out for a smoke, checking, not checking. Down 7-3 after 6, no ****ing way this offense comes back from that.

Not checking, go down for a smoke and hear the roar from a BW3 2 blocks away. Figured it must be the Royals, so pull up MLB.com and holy crap! Figures...one run short after 8. Shit.

Go back to room and grab another beer and head back down to enjoy the night and a smoke. More cheering from BW3. HOLY CRAP! It's tied!!

Couldn't stand it any more after 10 innings and went to bed. Didn't want to jinx it.

WhitiE
10-01-2014, 05:19 PM
Jumping up and down with my brother yelling "WE WON! WE WON!!!"

sportsman1
10-01-2014, 05:23 PM
Yelling and screaming like a crazy person and running in circles when Sal got the hit!

Telling my wife there is no chance this game will be turned off (after we went down by 4)

Getting up at 5am for work after finally falling asleep at 3am.

Tweeting constantly so I felt like someone cared what I thought.

CoMoChief
10-01-2014, 05:24 PM
ran down n back up the street naked with nothing but my royals hat on screaming "we won!!!"

acesn8s
10-01-2014, 05:28 PM
Nothing. I don't have cable and missed the whole thing other than monitoring mlb.com
"watched" on the phone because we don't have cable

Bearcat
10-01-2014, 05:33 PM
Sports bars have cable/satellite channels, just fyi.

Mr. Flopnuts
10-01-2014, 05:45 PM
George, that was amazing. You certainly have a way with words my friend.

Coach
10-01-2014, 05:48 PM
<iframe width="853" height="480" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/EDMJyiHIaBY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

shitgoose
10-01-2014, 05:52 PM
http://youtu.be/98sGX-b-h8U

I took this video last night of the Perez walk off. I just had a feeling. If someone wants to embed it I would be appreciative

eDave
10-01-2014, 06:02 PM

I took this video last night of the Perez walk off. I just had a feeling. If someone wants to embed it I would be appreciative

HAHAHAHAHA. That's awesome.

You lost your mind. ROFL

Coach
10-01-2014, 06:06 PM
Damn, I'm still getting the chills thinking about last night/this morning.

acesn8s
10-01-2014, 06:09 PM
Sports bars have cable/satellite channels, just fyi.
But they don't like screaming 3 year olds at 10 o'clock at night.

SAUTO
10-01-2014, 06:13 PM

LMAO, DAMMIT I THOUGHT I GOT YOU!

Mr. Flopnuts
10-01-2014, 06:31 PM

LMAO That was GREAT!

bsroyals54
10-01-2014, 06:44 PM
STILL RECOVERING FROM LAST NIGHT

srvy
10-01-2014, 06:52 PM
I listened to the MLB radiocast don't have TBS. Watching the game now on MLB rewind

lewdog
10-01-2014, 08:03 PM
What an amazing night to lose some sleep over. I ended up going to bed later than normal because of the long game and couldn't sleep much when I tried anyway. Best baseball game I have ever seen and that has nothing to do with the outcome. Very proud that a young team didn't fold when pretty much all of us thought it was over. People will talk about this game for years to come and we can be proud of the Royals from KC doing what no one thought they could.

vailpass
10-01-2014, 08:09 PM
I'll not forget going to a "sports bar" and having to ask them to turn the game on where I was sitting. There was literally nothing else going on in the sports world last night...

Mama Hip Rockets
10-01-2014, 10:11 PM
I will never forget feeling so many times like the game was lost. I think everybody in the stadium thought the game was over when it was 7-3. I think most people in the stadium thought it was over when it was 8-7. With the way Lester has owned the Royals in the past, I think some people probably even thought it was over when it was 2-0.

Fifth inning. Sixth inning. Seventh inning. I was sitting there lifeless, dreading the heartache and the numbness and the emptiness and the disappointment I would feel during my three-hour drive home. I was dreading having to go into work early in the morning and be offered condolences that this team had let me down again. I was angry that this team battled so hard to finally get back to the postseason after all these years, only to see it go up in smoke in the matter of just a couple hours.

But this team and this crowd just didn't stop. Words like "unbelievable" and "incredible" and "amazing" are thrown around so haphazardly in the world of sports that they've really lost their meaning. But those were words I kept finding myself repeating as I watched this team continue to claw back. I kept saying to my friends around me, "I can't believe this is happening." We were watching minor miracles unfold all around us. "Miracles." That's another word that gets thrown around in sports. But what other word is there? How else can you describe it?

Mama Hip Rockets
10-01-2014, 10:12 PM
This is a really good write-up by my buddy who went to the game with me and writes for Royals Review.

http://www.royalsreview.com/2014/10/1/6880669/wow-wow-wow-wow-wow-wow

EPodolak
10-01-2014, 11:59 PM
Feeling like I'd been kicked in the balls and had my lunch money stolen after Moss put the A's up 2-0.

......The silence from the crowd after the HR happened.

Watching Billy Butler wander off first- wondering what had just happened.

Being so excited that Moose seems to have learned to hit the ball opo.

The look of despair on the face of Ventura after giving up a huge HR, (**** you Moss).

Watching Gore being put into the game, and KNOWING he was going to steal second successfully.

The crowd shots of the fans with the same look of despair that Ventura showed earlier in the night.

Dyson stealing 3rd. Again, KNOWING he would steal 3rd, and that he'd be succuessful.

Aoki hitting the deep fly ball to right. (I thought that ball had a chance to get out)

The feeling that we deserved to lose the game after failing to get a big hit to win the game.

The joy watching Hosmer hit that triple.

The joy watching Colon get the tying run home.

The joy watching Perez get the game winning hit

The tears that came after it set in that we had won our first playoff game in 29 years.

Please share some of what you experienced-

Watched the game on DVR hours later. At 7-3 I started pissing about the season and Yost and occupying myself with other things. Checked email for no reason and saw a subject line from Royals.com saying "Royals advance...!" It wasn't a spoiler I minded or fully believed, but was heartened to keep watching the game. Then the recording cut off in the 10th. Eventually confirmed the win on the news. Pretty anti-climactic by then, not sure I could've taken being in that stadium. Man. Hadn't considered crying over it, might still though.

Rooster
10-02-2014, 11:55 AM
I was watching the wild card game in the Dallas airport and I’m certain I was the only person in terminal D that was into the game. It was an up and down game from the very beginning. I boarded for ICT in the 7th inning with the Royals down by four runs. My stomach hurt because I knew that many runs late in a playoff game would be the end of the season. I thought to myself when I put my phone on airplane mode ‘how cool would it be when I turn on my phone in ICT that we won this thing’.

There was a gal sitting in my row and some dude on the other side of the aisle said something to her negatively about the Royals. They knew each other and it was said in jest but it struck a nerve with her. She said loud enough for the whole back of the plane to hear ‘Hey! This game isn’t over. We’ll see who’s laughing when we get to Wichita.’ At that moment I knew I wanted to have her baby.

Wheels down at ICT and nobody is waiting for the flight attendants to give the green light on turning phones back on. I switch off airplane mode and my phone is searching for a signal. My heart is racing. I still have hope. I’ve seen them win these kinds of games all year but this was the playoffs and my teams suck in the playoffs. Got a signal, hit the app, app buffers for what felt like an eternity and then it came up. I had to look at it twice. I turn to the gal who was doing the same thing and I said ‘They’re tied in the 11th inning. Holy crap!!’. I never wanted to get off a plane more badly in my life.

Finally get off the plane and I’m hoping one of the bars is still open so I at least can watch on TV. But ICT is shut down so I rush to the parking shuttle. Standing in line I check the score again. They are down by one. My heart sinks. How many comebacks do these guys have in them? I feared the worst.

The shuttle pulls up and the driver has a crappy old battery powered radio sitting on the dash with one speaker. The static to game ratio was about 50/50 but it was turned up for the whole shuttle to hear and everyone was listening in complete silence. I make it back to my truck and turn on the radio. Royals are coming up to bat down one in the bottom of the 12th.

I’m getting on Kellogg and Hosmer is up to bat. I hear the crack of the bat through the radio and before the announcers were able to speak I thought to myself ‘he hit that one good’. The announcers are saying ‘struck by Hosmer it’s going back, still going back, off the top of the wall!!’. The crowd is the only thing you can hear on the radio its freaking rocking. I’m screaming in my truck HOSMER!!!!! and honking my horn down Kellogg with my arms full of goose bumps and my heart pumping.

I exit Kellogg onto I135 and I’m debating internally about going home or do I go to Larry Buds. Where is the closest TV? I decide to get home. They tied the game. Colon is on second with Perez at bat. I’m exiting off 96 to Woodlawn and Perez swings and it doesn’t sound like good contact at all. But the crowd gets loud and the announcer said ‘it’s through; it’s through Colon's coming home. The Royals have won the game!!’

I’m screaming and honking my horn all the way down Woodlawn. It was freaking amazing. I was so amped I didn’t get to sleep until 1:30. I’m still amped.

TLO
10-02-2014, 11:59 AM
I was watching the wild card game in the Dallas airport and I’m certain I was the only person in terminal D that was into the game. It was an up and down game from the very beginning. I boarded for ICT in the 7th inning with the Royals down by four runs. My stomach hurt because I knew that many runs late in a playoff game would be the end of the season. I thought to myself when I put my phone on airplane mode ‘how cool would it be when I turn on my phone in ICT that we won this thing’.

There was a gal sitting in my row and some dude on the other side of the aisle said something to her negatively about the Royals. They knew each other and it was said in jest but it struck a nerve with her. She said loud enough for the whole back of the plane to hear ‘Hey! This game isn’t over. We’ll see who’s laughing when we get to Wichita.’ At that moment I knew I wanted to have her baby.

Wheels down at ICT and nobody is waiting for the flight attendants to give the green light on turning phones back on. I switch off airplane mode and my phone is searching for a signal. My heart is racing. I still have hope. I’ve seen them win these kinds of games all year but this was the playoffs and my teams suck in the playoffs. Got a signal, hit the app, app buffers for what felt like an eternity and then it came up. I had to look at it twice. I turn to the gal who was doing the same thing and I said ‘They’re tied in the 11th inning. Holy crap!!’. I never wanted to get off a plane more badly in my life.

Finally get off the plane and I’m hoping one of the bars is still open so I at least can watch on TV. But ICT is shut down so I rush to the parking shuttle. Standing in line I check the score again. They are down by one. My heart sinks. How many comebacks do these guys have in them? I feared the worst.

The shuttle pulls up and the driver has a crappy old battery powered radio sitting on the dash with one speaker. The static to game ratio was about 50/50 but it was turned up for the whole shuttle to hear and everyone was listening in complete silence. I make it back to my truck and turn on the radio. Royals are coming up to bat down one in the bottom of the 12th.

I’m getting on Kellogg and Hosmer is up to bat. I hear the crack of the bat through the radio and before the announcers were able to speak I thought to myself ‘he hit that one good’. The announcers are saying ‘struck by Hosmer it’s going back, still going back, off the top of the wall!!’. The crowd is the only thing you can hear on the radio its freaking rocking. I’m screaming in my truck HOSMER!!!!! and honking my horn down Kellogg with my arms full of goose bumps and my heart pumping.

I exit Kellogg onto I135 and I’m debating internally about going home or do I go to Larry Buds. Where is the closest TV? I decide to get home. They tied the game. Colon is on second with Perez at bat. I’m exiting off 96 to Woodlawn and Perez swings and it doesn’t sound like good contact at all. But the crowd gets loud and the announcer said ‘it’s through; it’s through Colon's coming home. The Royals have won the game!!’

I’m screaming and honking my horn all the way down Woodlawn. It was freaking amazing. I was so amped I didn’t get to sleep until 1:30. I’m still amped.

That's awesome! Thanks for sharing. :thumb:

Strongside
10-02-2014, 12:07 PM
Not sure if Q, but this is great:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/EDMJyiHIaBY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

EPodolak
10-02-2014, 01:40 PM

Fuck man. First tears I've shed over this.

kcfanXIII
10-02-2014, 01:53 PM
Sitting at the bar with my girlfriend. it was so energetic in the place, right up until we were down 7-3. I hung my head at the bar, like the old man in a dive joint that everyone knows by name and no one wants to talk too. My girl was rubbing my back, and trying to console me like my dog just died. I knew in a couple days, I would look back with joy at the best season in my memory. But as the 7th inning ended, that was not what I was thinking. Its not what I wanted to be thinking. 29 years and... Fucking Yost.....
The comeback started, and little by little the life came back to me, and the other fans at the bar. The "LET'S go ROYals ! ! !!!" chants started again. I joined in. I couldn't tell if I was having chest pains, or heart burn. As the comeback gained steam, I said "If we get within 1 before the 9th, we are going to win this game."
From the ninth on, we just knew. This team doesn't give up.
Bottom 12, 0-5 Salvy up to the plate. Winning run at third. "Fair Ball!"
Words can't describe it. I had chills. i hugged strangers, I high fived everyone sitting at the bar. My girlfriend and I were both teared up. She looks at me and says "We are going to a game for the ALDS." I couldn't get to sleep till about 2a.m.

This will be my "chase the dragon" moment that I look for the rest of my life. Well, at least until we sweep the Angels and advance on Sunday. (I know the last part is wishful thinking, as I really want to be there when we advance.)

Archie F. Swin
10-02-2014, 02:42 PM
Not sure if Q, but this is great:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/EDMJyiHIaBY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

damn allergies....

kcfanXIII
10-02-2014, 03:27 PM
Watched the game on DVR hours later. At 7-3 I started pissing about the season and Yost and occupying myself with other things. Checked email for no reason and saw a subject line from Royals.com saying "Royals advance...!" It wasn't a spoiler I minded or fully believed, but was heartened to keep watching the game. Then the recording cut off in the 10th. Eventually confirmed the win on the news. Pretty anti-climactic by then, not sure I could've taken being in that stadium. Man. Hadn't considered crying over it, might still though.

As I was setting my DVR it gave me the option to record passed the scheduled time. I picked 2 hours. Pretty sure I only had 20 minutes of post game on there, I haven't rewatched it yet. I had to check to make sure I caught that oh so glorious end though.

WilliamTheIrish
10-02-2014, 03:44 PM
These stories.... So good. So damn good.

Like George, my family has a connection to baseball like no other game. What else can a family of 13 do that involves every sibling and didn't cost much money?

Also like George, I'd have given my right eye to have had my mom or dad next to me to watch that game. My Mom hated Charlie O. To witness that game with my mom would have been epic. My dad died 45 years ago to the day of that game.

One day, he and I will talk and laugh about it.

AJKCFAN
10-02-2014, 05:18 PM
Hoping this works!

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=817908428240030&id=100000626401256

My view (and reaction) to the walkoff...

Might be the only paying fan on the planet who was there live for BOTH this game AND Brett taking Gossage into upper deck to win Royals the pennant!!!!

BWillie
10-02-2014, 06:14 PM
The love child of Rollie Fingers and Ron Swanson.

How do I get this ****ing hat.

I will pay top dollar.

How?

shitgoose
10-03-2014, 06:13 AM
These Royals playoff games are so emotionally taxing. I feel hungover this morning and I didn't even drink last night.

I can't imagine how much more intense it gets as you advance.

Baby Lee
10-03-2014, 06:35 AM
These Royals playoff games are so emotionally taxing. I feel hungover this morning and I didn't even drink last night.

Unless I'm sitting in the stands with a brew in my hand, I'm not much for baseball's regular season. Too many games to get excited for over and over and over. It's an occasional laconic summertime relaxation exercise, or something to put in the background as you putter around your garage.

But post season baseball is the TITS. Stakes so high, everything seems impossible and infinitely possible at the exact same time. You don't have a clock that tells you you've run out of time to come back. You can be down 4 against quality pitching in the bottom of the 8th. You can watch as chance after chance gets chased into the dirt in front of the plate. You can watch stalwarts wither on the mound at a moment's notice.

I can't definitively say that baseball elimination is superior to NFL FB or NCAA BB overall, but the potential to swing from resignation to jubilation in a moment is rarely greater.

Baseball playoffs is a fingernail chewer's game.

TLO
10-03-2014, 06:44 AM

This. THIS. THIS!!!!