PDA

View Full Version : Royals How will last night's playoff game impact the franchise moving forward?

teedubya
10-01-2014, 10:15 AM
It feels like we've turned a corner... It feels like we've relinquished the lovable loser persona.

Will more free agents want to come to KC, now? Will they eliminate their no-trade clauses to KC?

How do you think this will impact the franchise moving forward?

saphojunkie
10-01-2014, 10:22 AM
Lovable winner>>>>>>>lovable loser.

Beef Supreme
10-01-2014, 10:30 AM
The teams with more money will take all the talent, and KC will continue to be a farm team for the cities with lots of money to throw around.

tyler360
10-01-2014, 10:36 AM
Hopefully the owners realize what a consistent winner does for the city and fan base as a whole.

Maybe this shifts an organizational philosophy towards spending more and winning more.

Bowser
10-01-2014, 10:38 AM
Hopefully the owners realize what a consistent winner does for the city and fan base as a whole.

Maybe this shifts an organizational philosophy towards spending more and winning more.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Dunerdr
10-01-2014, 10:41 AM

This I don't understand how glass or the Clark's don't realize what a consistent winner does look at the Yankees fan base.

saphojunkie
10-01-2014, 10:43 AM
Let's see what happens when they start seeing merchandise fly off the shelves. When they have extra games selling tons of beer and standing room only tickets.

Take all of that extra playoff money and put it directly into James Shields' pocket.

Mr. Flopnuts
10-01-2014, 10:45 AM
When asked about Shields becoming a free agent Dayton Moore said and I quote "We're not going to be big players in the free agent market this year." I'm hoping that if this team can shock the Angels ownership may focus on at least re-signing BGJ. Otherwise? Outlook not so good.

BigRedChief
10-01-2014, 10:46 AM
The teams with more money will take all the talent, and KC will continue to be a farm team for the cities with lots of money to throw around.

Yep, KC can't keep up with the $2 BILLION TV contracts of LA, NY, Boston etc. St. Louis has a top 10-13 payroll and 3 million+ attendance every year and we can't compete with them. We have to go the "farm" development route to remain competitive.

It's the nature of the beast until a true salary cap comes in, which will be never.

BigRedChief
10-01-2014, 10:49 AM
When asked about Shields becoming a free agent Dayton Moore said and I quote "We're not going to be big players in the free agent market this year." I'm hoping that if this team can shock the Angels ownership may focus on at least re-signing BGJ. Otherwise? Outlook not so good.

The Cubs will offer Shields $150-$200 million+. He's gone.

cosmo20002
10-01-2014, 10:53 AM
How do you think this will impact the franchise moving forward?

It will have no real impact.
Fans will now give the team a "honeymoon" period of loving the team for awhile because they've had a couple of winning seasons and an exciting playoff win.

Free agents will still largely go where the money is and almost always, it won't be here. Despite some minimal revenue sharing compared to 10 years ago, there's still no way to really compete with the Yankees, Red Sox, Dodgers, etc. on signing free agents and re-signing young stars that came up in the system once their contracts are up.

Bearcat
10-01-2014, 10:56 AM
They won't fire Ned Yost.

cosmo20002
10-01-2014, 10:57 AM
Let's see what happens when they start seeing merchandise fly off the shelves. When they have extra games selling tons of beer and standing room only tickets.

Take all of that extra playoff money and put it directly into James Shields' pocket.

:facepalm:
It's a drop in the bucket. Pocket change.
Plus, they need Shields AND someone who can hit a few over the fence.

BigRedChief
10-01-2014, 11:04 AM
:facepalm:
It's a drop in the bucket. Pocket change.
Merchandise and beer sales at a few games? Come on man.

It's the $2 Billion cable TV contracts that are the problem. Money that they don't have to share.

DaWolf
10-01-2014, 11:10 AM
Gotta keep drafting well because this really means nothing in the long term in regards to free agency and team building.

Really what it hopefully does is start establishing a culture of winning and an expectation of winning in the organization. If you read all the pieces on Dayton Moore, you'll see that he has worked really hard to turn the losing attitude around. But the payroll will not increase, so we need to draft well, spend wisely, and hopefully stay competitive for a while...

Hootie
10-01-2014, 11:10 AM
The Cubs will offer Shields $150-$200 million+. He's gone.
That's an over exaggeration...

He'll get like 5 years 100 million

cosmo20002
10-01-2014, 11:12 AM
Merchandise and beer sales at a few games? Come on man.

It's the $2 Billion cable TV contracts that are the problem. Money that they don't have to share.

That's what I'm saying. The extra revenue of a few (maybe) playoff games is nothing. It doesn't close a $100M annual gap.

Valiant
10-01-2014, 11:12 AM
Yep, KC can't keep up with the $2 BILLION TV contracts of LA, NY, Boston etc. St. Louis has a top 10-13 payroll and 3 million+ attendance every year and we can't compete with them. We have to go the "farm" development route to remain competitive.

It's the nature of the beast until a true salary cap comes in, which will be never.

They cannot spend 200million, but they could easily get up into 150k for the right stars. Even easier when the rstn runs out what in a couple years? 4 maybe?

This type of season can see lower cost tickets jump 10percent next year. Even more for premier seats. Higher attendance. More people wanting their company to be the official company of their product for the Royals. Merch around town will explode.

We should be at least 100 to 115k next year. Imagine using butlers money and the extra 10 to 20 on trying to resign shields and another star.

They have the chance to be set up for 4-6 years.

You do not have to spend 200million, you do not have to overpay for every quality free agent.

BigRedChief
10-01-2014, 11:29 AM
That's an over exaggeration...

He'll get like 5 years 100 millionThey have a new renovated stadium to open next year. A new cable TV contract. The GM has already said they will spend big to get pitching this off season. Prices are going to go up for pitching.

BigRedChief
10-01-2014, 11:33 AM
They cannot spend 200million, but they could easily get up into 150k for the right stars. Even easier when the rstn runs out what in a couple years? 4 maybe?

This type of season can see lower cost tickets jump 10percent next year. Even more for premier seats. Higher attendance. More people wanting their company to be the official company of their product for the Royals. Merch around town will explode.

We should be at least 100 to 115k next year. Imagine using butlers money and the extra 10 to 20 on trying to resign shields and another star.

They have the chance to be set up for 4-6 years.

You do not have to spend 200million, you do not have to overpay for every quality free agent.You have a chance to do it the Cardinals way. Just like every other team that doesn't have a $2 billion TV contract. It's a proven template. Merchandise sales and increase attendance are not worth much. They have little effect to increase the payroll. The Royals should have more money next year. Looks like you have some young talent. Just don't trade it away for a rental player.

Hootie
10-01-2014, 11:36 AM
I can only hope David Glass realizes what a winning team does for Kansas City and focus on letting Dayton win rather than worrying about turning a big profit.

Baseball is never going anywhere...He's already made a huge ROI with the Royals. He can give us a few years of $100M payrolls. His payday will come in 2019 and the better the club the bigger the TV deal

Kidd Lex
10-01-2014, 11:45 AM
I can only hope David Glass realizes what a winning team does for Kansas City and focus on letting Dayton win rather than worrying about turning a big profit.

Baseball is never going anywhere...He's already made a huge ROI with the Royals. He can give us a few years of $100M payrolls. His payday will come in 2019 and the better the club the bigger the TV deal

Maybe he cashes in his lottery ticket and sales to the cerner billionaires

Archie F. Swin
10-01-2014, 11:45 AM
to a big name free agent?

Playing for the Royals > Climbing the AIDS tree

L.A. Chieffan
10-01-2014, 11:48 AM
Here comes the Cardinals fan to admonish "Big" market teams and lecture the Royals on the "right" way to build your franchise. Like clockwork

Eleazar
10-01-2014, 12:03 PM
Here comes the Cardinals fan to admonish "Big" market teams and lecture the Royals on the "right" way to build your franchise. Like clockwork

The know-it-all quotient among them is pretty high...

Pitt Gorilla
10-01-2014, 12:13 PM
Finnegan looks like a good move. If only we had trout instead of crow...

J Diddy
10-01-2014, 12:17 PM
Finnegan looks like a good move. If only we had trout instead of crow...Agreed. Trout tastes considerably better than crow.

Eleazar
10-01-2014, 12:19 PM
Hopefully it's just a mile marker on the road for us. Hopefully, we continue drafting well, making wise trades, and developing young players, so that they keep reaching the bigs continually and we don't have rebuilding years.

cmh6476
10-01-2014, 12:20 PM
they get to play at least three more games is your final answer

Mr. Arrowhead
10-01-2014, 12:20 PM
Dont know if true, but I heard Shields really wants to pitch for the Dodgers

BigRedChief
10-01-2014, 12:26 PM

Says the fan with the $2.5 BILLION TV contract and $226 million payroll. It is the right way to build a franchise unless you have a $2 billion contract. The only proven way. You don't like it because its the Cardinals, fine and dandy. Still doesn't make it true.

And BTW 4321 you pal. I've been a loud voice in support of Royals fans on this board for years.

ChiefsCountry
10-01-2014, 12:28 PM
Draft and develop players is still the way to go. Even the Yankees biggest stars were home grown talent.

BigRedChief
10-01-2014, 12:30 PM
Draft and develop players is still the way to go. Even the Yankees biggest stars were home grown talent.Thats all I'm saying. It's just fact.

L.A. Chieffan
10-01-2014, 12:30 PM
:rolleyes: Here we go...the only way to win is to be like the Cardinals...why even try rest of baseball?

BigRedChief
10-01-2014, 12:33 PM
:rolleyes: Here we go...the only way to win is to be like the Cardinals...why even try rest of baseball?
Every baseball thread you come in and take a shit. Why don't you just knock it off for a change?

I'm done with you.

Eleazar
10-01-2014, 12:35 PM
Dont know if true, but I heard Shields really wants to pitch for the Dodgers

If he can't re-sign with the Royals, it would be cool to see that. What a rotation, especially in that ballpark. They would be dominating the NL for years.

WilliamTheIrish
10-01-2014, 12:39 PM
You have a chance to do it the Cardinals way...

Did everybody hear that? We have a "chance" to do it. I...I'm just so grateful for you deep thinkers. Whateveva would us po' souls do without such guidance?

Do us all a favor Mr. Freidman. Save your class on baseball economic theory for the kids at St. Pete's elementary school. What you know about economics and baseball would fit on the head of a pin.

Demonpenz
10-01-2014, 12:46 PM
The St. Louis way. Give Pujols all the Roids he needs and lie about his age constantly.

L.A. Chieffan
10-01-2014, 12:49 PM
In 2013 St. Louis had the 8th highest revenue in all of baseball, and yet before tv revenue sharing had the second lowest TV deal.

ITS ALL ABOUT THE TV CONTRACTS! ITS NOT FAIR! GATE HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH IT!

BigRedChief
10-01-2014, 12:52 PM
Did everybody hear that? We have a "chance" to do it. I...I'm just so grateful for you deep thinkers. Whateveva would us po' souls do without such guidance?.All I was saying was that unless you have a $2 BILLION cable TV contract, draft and develop players is the only way to achieve long term success in the current baseball environment.

I meant no offense to Royals fans. Sorry if I offended. I will bow out of this thread now.

Demonpenz
10-01-2014, 12:57 PM
David Glass now knows that he can cut payroll and hang up banners for this year, and cut scouting, and make sure that High Def highlights are played up on the jumbo tron forever and people will come out and make him rich.

WilliamTheIrish
10-01-2014, 01:00 PM
When I was a kid, the term was called one of two things:

The Oriole way - players were taught and practiced fundamentals the same way in all stops in the minors all the way to the bigs.

The Dodger Way. See above.

The Royals franchise was built on the Dodger model. And was quite successful. But losing E.K. and Fogelman going bankrupt killed the franchise. That left us with Glass who further killed the franchise. Until Moore got real commitment from Glass this was going to continue as a train wreck.

But we already know that story.

Thankfully, we have a Cardinal blueprint to follow now. Damn, that makes me feel good about the future. Lucky us.

loochy
10-01-2014, 01:02 PM
David Glass now knows that he can cut payroll and hang up banners for this year, and cut scouting, and make sure that High Def highlights are played up on the jumbo tron forever and people will come out and make him rich.

This.

It'll keep the suckers coming while he goes bargain basement again.

cosmo20002
10-01-2014, 01:13 PM
Drafting and home-grown talent is always Plan A. Plan B is filling in the holes with a star free agent and some solid ones where needed.
In the Kauffman/pre-huge cable TV deal days, the Royals could reasonably afford to do this and keep up with the Yankees, etc.
Now, they can't. It's pretty simple, really.

Eleazar
10-01-2014, 02:00 PM
Thankfully, we have a Cardinal blueprint to follow now. Damn, that makes me feel good about the future. Lucky us.

I sure am glad our benevolent overlords decided to come by and pass us the secret of baseball success. They are so kind to we peasants.

scho63
10-01-2014, 02:04 PM
I don't know a lot about the Royals farm system, free agents, and payroll but if you look at my Pittsburgh Pirates and what Neal Huntington has done when he took over in 2007, he has built a team that can win for YEARS after 20 straight losing seasons.

It certainly didn't happen overnight and 99% of the fans, including me, hated the guy for years thinking his only job was to trade away all the all stars and talent for draft picks.

It took quite a while but we have some serious depth and we don't waste any money on free agents that don't produce shit

duncan_idaho
10-01-2014, 02:20 PM
I don't know a lot about the Royals farm system, free agents, and payroll but if you look at my Pittsburgh Pirates and what Neal Huntington has done when he took over in 2007, he has built a team that can win for YEARS after 20 straight losing seasons.

It certainly didn't happen overnight and 99% of the fans, including me, hated the guy for years thinking his only job was to trade away all the all stars and talent for draft picks.

It took quite a while but we have some serious depth and we don't waste any money on free agents that don't produce shit

The Royals' pitching staff is in great shape. With Duffy and Ventura, you have two young and proven front-line starters, and many more in the wings (Finnegan, Zimmer, Manaea, Almonte... odds are at least one of those guys is very, very good and at least one more is a useable MLB player). The bullpen is strong and Moore has consistently shown the ability to build it up.

The main difference is that in Andrew McCutchen, the Pirates have a true superstar hitter anchoring the lineup. KC needs Hosmer to step up to that level to really be set for the next several years.

As for the OP...

Hopefully, this win means the Royals make a deep postseason run and Glass sees the value a competing team offers.

I don't expect payroll to get hiked into the $120 million range as some suggested, but if the Royals just hold steady where they are ($90 million), they can do some good things. There isn't as much cash to spend as you might think, so I don't expect a major, major FA signing, but they might be able to swing ONE player at $12 million/year or so.

Prison Bitch
10-01-2014, 02:20 PM
The "Cardinals Way": play in the sissy league, where you can mask your deficiencies by playing garbage competition in a garbage division that you're never out spent in. Get into playoffs, sneak into WS a few times and pray you avoid Boston.

Sell 563,777 tee shirt jerseys for $40 each (cost: $1.56 in material and $0.44 in Malaysian labor) to all their white trash fans who think its a bargain compared to a real jersey. And you can get a new one each year for Christmas!

The Cardinals Way wouldn't work half as well I'd they played in the American League. But their fans are such shit-balls I have yet to meet even ONE who will acknowledge that yes: the NL is a big difference. Not one

Prison Bitch
10-01-2014, 02:29 PM
NL playoff teams vs AL this year: 51-51

AL playoff teams vs NL this year: 64-36

Any questions????

WilliamTheIrish
10-01-2014, 03:16 PM
All I was saying was that unless you have a $2 BILLION cable TV contract, draft and develop players is the only way to achieve long term success in the current baseball environment.

I meant no offense to Royals fans. Sorry if I offended. I will bow out of this thread now.

BC, I know you're a good guy. I'm just chiding you a little.

J Diddy
10-01-2014, 03:20 PM
The "Cardinals Way": play in the sissy league, where you can mask your deficiencies by playing garbage competition in a garbage division that you're never out spent in. Get into playoffs, sneak into WS a few times and pray you avoid Boston.

Sell 563,777 tee shirt jerseys for $40 each (cost: $1.56 in material and $0.44 in Malaysian labor) to all their white trash fans who think its a bargain compared to a real jersey. And you can get a new one each year for Christmas!

The Cardinals Way wouldn't work half as well I'd they played in the American League. But their fans are such shit-balls I have yet to meet even ONE who will acknowledge that yes: the NL is a big difference. Not one

Wouldn't the DH or "pussy bat" be a big difference?

WilliamTheIrish
10-01-2014, 03:20 PM

But it's real baseball. Not that "keg at 2B league" where players don't have a position.

Prison Bitch
10-01-2014, 06:51 PM
Wouldn't the DH or "pussy bat" be a big difference?

Could be. But if so, it pretty much ends the argument over which brand of baseball is "superior".

Lex Luthor
10-01-2014, 07:23 PM
Don't get me wrong. I love James Shields. But signing him to a huge contract would be a MAJOR mistake for this team.

Shields will be 33 years old next year. He's pitched over 200 innings every year for the last 8 years. He is going to break down eventually, and when starting pitchers like him break down, it's often a very abrupt process. Just ask Justin Verlander and Roy Halladay.

The Royals simply can't afford to commit over $20 million a year to a 33 year old pitcher. They can't. If they have a $100 million payroll next year and they give a fifth of that to James Shields, they will be handcuffed and unable to make any other major moves. Even if Shields DOESN'T break down, the Royals can't afford to commit 1/5th of their payroll to one pitcher.

This team is blessed with some very good young starting pitching. James Shields is not a necessity. He's a luxury this team cannot afford.

Prison Bitch
10-01-2014, 07:37 PM
They're not resigning him so I'm not sure why anyone even addresses the idea.

lewdog
10-01-2014, 08:05 PM
Don't get me wrong. I love James Shields. But signing him to a huge contract would be a MAJOR mistake for this team.

Shields will be 33 years old next year. He's pitched over 200 innings every year for the last 8 years. He is going to break down eventually, and when starting pitchers like him break down, it's often a very abrupt process. Just ask Justin Verlander and Roy Halladay.

The Royals simply can't afford to commit over $20 million a year to a 33 year old pitcher. They can't. If they have a $100 million payroll next year and they give a fifth of that to James Shields, they will be handcuffed and unable to make any other major moves. Even if Shields DOESN'T break down, the Royals can't afford to commit 1/5th of their payroll to one pitcher.

This team is blessed with some very good young starting pitching. James Shields is not a necessity. He's a luxury this team cannot afford.

100% we don't resign him and that's for the best. We can't be a team that extends a long term contract for an aging pitcher when we might have to pay big money for bad years as he gets older. Not worth the risk for the Royals.

Mr. Flopnuts
10-01-2014, 08:07 PM
I totally understand, but who takes his place to give this team continued success?

Eleazar
10-01-2014, 08:16 PM

http://maniacball.net/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/get-a-brain-morans.jpg

'Hamas' Jenkins
10-01-2014, 08:17 PM
Y'all are some pathetically butthurt bitches.

penbrook
10-01-2014, 08:19 PM
I totally understand, but who takes his place to give this team continued success?

You saw him last night

His name is Brandon motherfucking Finnegan

Red Dawg
10-01-2014, 08:40 PM
Nothing will affect this franchise unless they get an owner that will spend money. Baseball sucks and is completely driven by money hungary players and owners. That's why there is no cap. Baseball sucks.

Prison Bitch
10-01-2014, 08:47 PM
That's what makes the NFL so great: the players and owners don't care about $

Prison Bitch
10-01-2014, 08:48 PM
http://maniacball.net/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/get-a-brain-morans.jpg

Think that guy knows the massive disparity in AL and NL quality?

cmh6476
10-01-2014, 08:58 PM
1. Duffy
2. Ventura
3. Vargas
4. Finnegan
5. Zimmer

:shrug:

ChiefsCountry
10-01-2014, 09:02 PM
3 of the top payrolls in MLB didn't make the playoffs. 2 of those finished in the bottom 8 in the MLB standings. Payroll is just an excuse. Draft and develop players, get rid of them when they demand major money. Rinse and repeat.

tk13
10-01-2014, 09:52 PM
Developing players is the key anyway. Especially starting pitching. That's why I wasn't that bothered by losing Santana. Shields will hurt more because I think he's positively impacted the other pitchers. If this team is going to win you have to develop starters though. Pitching costs too much money. Even the big market teams have to develop a few starting pitchers to be successful. There's no other way around it. Duffy and Ventura are a good start.

Demonpenz
10-01-2014, 10:24 PM
BRC is a good egg.