PDA

View Full Version : Life What kind of risk taker are you?

Rain Man
10-02-2014, 02:19 PM
I've been reading some stuff on types of risk. I guess there's a school of thought that there are different types of risk behaviors, and that people who are often thought of as being risk-averse really just choose to engage in risks that are less obvious.

In the stuff I've been reading, there are five types of risk:

Ethical - Willingness to take risks that will hurt others more than you. Examples include taking questionable tax deductions (or not paying your taxes at all), sharing a secret or inside information, leaving your kids at home alone while you run to the store, or not correcting the cashier when they give you too much change.

Financial - Willingness to gamble with your resources. This might include gambling itself, but also includes things like starting a business, investing in riskier stocks, doing variable rate loans over fixed, etc.

Health - Taking risks that can have health implications, such as smoking, unsafe sex, not wearing your seat belt, not using sunscreen, and so on.

Recreational - Classic physical risks done for fun, such as driving fast, skiing down a hard run, bungee jumping, etc. Your general adrenaline risks.

Social - Things that risk separating you from your "tribe", such as disagreeing with friends about beliefs, moving away from family and friends, disagreeing with a boss, or changing jobs.

In what area are you most risk tolerant? And where do you stand in each area? Poll to follow if I decide it's worth taking the chance.

EPodolak
10-02-2014, 02:21 PM
Being a KC sports fan...which kind is that?

J Diddy
10-02-2014, 02:22 PM
Being a KC sports fan...which kind is that?

All 5.

tooge
10-02-2014, 02:23 PM
All 5 here as well.

The Franchise
10-02-2014, 02:27 PM
Health.

Rain Man
10-02-2014, 02:27 PM
I think the only area where I'm above average is financial risk. I started and operate a business and I'm pretty aggressive in my investing and stuff. But that's a little bit misleading, because starting the business initially had a low cost of failure, and my investing is long-term, which I think allows a more aggressive approach. However, I've had to sign some pretty big leases and contracts, and have to make payroll every month, which requires an iron gut in my particular business since we have very little recurring revenue on a monthly basis.

I take some social risks, but am probably below average overall. I have no problems with moving or breaking off social connections, but am generally not interested in disagreeing and arguing, so I let that type of thing slide.

I'm very risk averse in the other three areas. I'm generally empathetic, I avoid physical pain and risk of injury, and I'm pretty health conscious other than some diet weaknesses.

SAUTO
10-02-2014, 02:35 PM
Im probably below average ethically, i dont take many risks there.

health, financial, social, and recreational i would say im well above average because i dont give a fuck

Sandy Vagina
10-02-2014, 02:38 PM
Only in health. I don't gamble or do much of anything to put anyone at risk.

I smoke and drink as I please, however.

hometeam
10-02-2014, 03:08 PM
We can only pick one so I did, but I tend to be a high risk taker type. Fast cars, fast motorycles, dirty taqerias, risky financial decisions, dont carry health insurance, love life, job.. etc.

Fire Me Boy!
10-02-2014, 03:13 PM
Pretty much only social. I'm generally up for an argument any time. My current job is the longest I've been employed by the same employer - five years, though that included a major move from station to corporate and has included three significantly different jobs in that time. In that time, the job also include a move from KC to South Carolina to Alabama.

Health to a minor extent. I used to ride a motorcycle.

BucEyedPea
10-02-2014, 03:18 PM
Financial but not in an irresponsible way. I'm willing to work on my own which takes some financial risks. Plan on another major risk when I am done with this current gig. One where I'll need money to manufacture products.

Iowanian
10-02-2014, 06:03 PM
My answers are much different than they would have been prior to turning 30.

I used to take a lot of risks recreationally and socially in some ways. I didn't have the capitol to take financial risk, but i took my shots where I could.

Now, I'd say I take less risk recreationally for sure, because I'm a provider for others. I like finanical risk but it's more measured and calculated than before.

Rain Man
10-02-2014, 06:45 PM
Financial but not in an irresponsible way. I'm willing to work on my own which takes some financial risks. Plan on another major risk when I am done with this current gig. One where I'll need money to manufacture products.

There's actually another dimension to this that involves what people define as risk. For example, some people may classify skydiving as high risk because you can die, and they either embrace it or reject it for that reason. But other people may classify skydiving as low risk because 99.99% of skydives end with a grinning person on the ground, and they also either embrace it or reject it for that reason.

I find that part of it very interesting, because it shows how our own biases can affect our perceptions of what other people do. Personally, for example, I wouldn't ride a motorcycle because I think it's a high-risk thing to do. But among motorcycle riders, some of them likely do it precisely because of the risk and thrill, and others don't see it as high risk and ride for completely different reasons.

headsnap
10-02-2014, 07:12 PM
The only risk is in not feeling alive!!!

Buehler445
10-02-2014, 08:58 PM
I own a tremendously capital intensive business, so yeah. Financial.

I'm pretty risk averse though, overall.

MrGiggity
10-02-2014, 09:28 PM
I'm the kind of guy who puts it in a girls butt immediately after she takes a shit.

10-03-2014, 12:54 AM
not a risk taker so none of them apply to me. I think the biggest risk I took was going to my first bash to meet a bunch of online strangers knowing I would probably be the square peg.