PDA

View Full Version : Life Distracted Driving: Through the Eyes of a Trooper

Lzen
10-06-2014, 11:34 AM
It is Put The Brake On Fatalities recognition at KDOT. Just thought I'd pass this along. This is a subject that is very near and dear to me as I have been on road projects in the past. My son is now an employee at KDOT in Olathe. On Friday, someone slammed into the back of one of their trucks on a road project in KC. He was okay, just shaken up about it. I told him you gotta keep your head on a swivel out there.

Remember that the highway work zone is a person's work area. They have wife, husbands, kids, mothers, fathers, brothers, sisters that love them and would like to see them again just like the rest of us.

http://ksdotblog.blogspot.com/2014/10/distracted-driving-through-eyes-of.html

Distracted Driving: Through the Eyes of a Trooper

By Sage Hill

As a Kansas Highway Patrol Trooper assigned to the Turnpike, you might expect my story to involve an accident that I personally worked. While it’s true that I have worked many horrific crashes, my personal involvement in this piece doesn’t place me at the scene of one. Let me explain.

On July 1, 2014, I was working a voluntary overtime day as part of federally funded program to enhance roadway safety during major travel holidays. Pretty early in the shift I noticed KTA maintenance crews were busy painting new roadway lines and stripes just north of the Oklahoma state line. Throughout the morning and early afternoon I stayed in the area so motorists could observe a patrol unit close to the crews, and I stopped several cars for various violations.

Later in the afternoon I was in a line of slow moving traffic passing the paint crew when I noticed a vehicle coming up from behind them very fast. The maintenance personnel were in the right lane painting, while multiple conspicuous warning signs and flashing lights directed traffic to slowly pass in the left lane. I looked at my own speed, under 40 mph, and then checked the vehicle I had been watching with radar. I was terrified by when I saw it was going 76 mph, and still in the right lane screaming up behind the maintenance vehicles.

“Unbelievable,” I thought to myself. How in the world could this guy not see all the flashing lights, warning signs, and other traffic that had slowed and moved to the other lane? As I paid closer attention, I thought I saw something in his hand above the steering wheel.

I continued to watch and observed no change. My radar gave a solid tone of 76 mph as the car was now only a short distance from the back of the rear truck in the consist of work vehicles. I was unable to warn the maintenance crew, and a very unusual sense of helplessness struck as I realized there was literally nothing I could do to change what I was seeing. Nausea began to settle into my gut and I took hold of my radio mic, preparing to place the request for additional help that I was sure I would need.

Then, with what I still believe were literally inches to spare, the vehicle jerked to left lane, narrowly missing the maintenance truck. The tone on my radar unit heaved and the display told me it had suddenly decreased speed in order to not strike the rear of the car in front of it. Swaying movements within its lane told me the driver was still trying to regain complete control after the sudden jerk to the other lane. As we passed the line of maintenance vehicles, I made an effort to calm down. Even though I was disturbed with what I had just seen- I would still need to be courteous when I stopped the driver of the vehicle.

Once we reached a safe spot past the work zone, I slowed to the shoulder and allowed the car to pass before turning on my red and blue lights to stop him. When I walked up, I saw a young man that was out of breath and had trembling hands. I was actually pretty pleased to see that he understood the gravity of what had just taken place. After making sure he was okay, I asked him what had happened. He was unable to construct a concise sentence due to his excited mental state, but nodded toward his phone that had been thrown to the other side of the car. I prepared a citation for failing to yield to a roadside maintenance crew, and soon he was on his way after assuming responsibility for over three hundred dollars in fines and the knowledge that he nearly killed himself.

The next morning I was drinking a cup of coffee in my home preparing for a day off when I saw something miserable on the news: A young woman had rear-ended a KTA paint crew in the very same area, and had lost her life as a result. Images from the scene depicted her destroyed car, and my fellow troopers that worked the crash said they strongly believe that texting was a contributing factor. All I could think about was how close the guy I stopped had come to suffering the same fate.

Driving is something many of us take for granted. We do it routinely for so many different reasons; it’s just another facet of our everyday lives that can seamlessly blend with the others. The same is true for our almost inexplicable need to be “connected” to the rest of the world. We simultaneously use our phones while we carry out countless other daily tasks, so it’s easy to allow it into our world while driving. I’m pleading with you – don’t. As a single 24-hour period in July can prove to you, the results can be horrendous.

I hope you never make us write that ticket. Even more, I hope you never make us work that crash.

Sage Hill is a Master Trooper with the Kansas Highway Patrol – Troop G (KTA)

ChiTown
10-06-2014, 11:37 AM
Thanks. A great reminder. :thumb:

Bugeater
10-06-2014, 11:49 AM
Meh...won't do any good. Too many people think their phone call or text is just too damn important.

loochy
10-06-2014, 11:51 AM
Cops are bad people.

ThaVirus
10-06-2014, 11:52 AM
Meh...won't do any good. Too many people think their phone call or text is just too damn important.

No doubt about it.

Everyone I know texts and drives. Shit won't change.

TLO
10-06-2014, 11:52 AM
Also, people need to stop driving slow in the passing lane. Most of them are probably on their phones too.

Mr. Flopnuts
10-06-2014, 11:54 AM
Cops are bad people.

The great majority of them aren't. Some of them are worse than any criminal you'll ever encounter.

TLO
10-06-2014, 11:55 AM
http://www.gun-stickers.com/images/product-images/sticker-0064.jpg

Mr. Flopnuts
10-06-2014, 11:56 AM
No doubt about it.

I won't type while I'm driving, and I won't read while I'm driving. I do however talk on the phone while driving and have been for years. If I approach heavy traffic I end the call. Why? Because I don't want to get hurt. Seen and read too much...

loochy
10-06-2014, 12:00 PM
The great majority of them aren't. Some of them are worse than any criminal you'll ever encounter.

You are correct. It's just like normal people.

Mr. Flopnuts
10-06-2014, 12:03 PM
You are correct. It's just like normal people.

Exactly. I've spent so much time in my earlier years on this site bashing cops that I feel like I need to take every opportunity available to correct anyone's perception of my previous remarks. I have NEVER had a poor encounter with a police officer in terms of their courteousness, or civility. Some have been in bad moods, a couple of times I got a ticket I didn't deserve, others I got out of tickets I did. Regardless, they've all been professional, and mostly downright friendly with me. I've never had the bad luck of encountering one that go over the edge despite my demeanor, which is too communicate my moves, and be respectful.

Just Passin' By
10-06-2014, 12:25 PM
Texting, singing, talking, eating, just plain being a shitty driver. Whatever the excuse, and whatever is blamed, it's all the same in the end.

Bad driving is bad driving.

Holladay
10-06-2014, 12:25 PM
WARNING GRAPHIC. This is a British Texting PSA.

I showed this to my daughter and her friends.

https://sp.yimg.com/ib/th?id=UN.608011500771346154&pid=15.1

Darn it!! Can't seem to inbed.

Lzen
10-06-2014, 12:26 PM
I won't type while I'm driving, and I won't read while I'm driving. I do however talk on the phone while driving and have been for years. If I approach heavy traffic I end the call. Why? Because I don't want to get hurt. Seen and read too much...

This is pretty much my attitude, as well.

Dayze
10-06-2014, 12:46 PM
Friend of mine got t boned in June while On his motorcycle. The culprit?
56 year old woman texting and blew threw a stop sign entering a 65mph zone.

He was in a medically induced coman for 3 months. He was just transported to Nebraska for rehab, and just spoke his first words since just a few days ago courtesy of a traechea tube he's had in ever since. He was dead on scene but luckily someone saw it happened and pulled over and performed CPR. He lost a lung, shattered his legs, shattered pelvis, and lost about 80% of his liver

I loathe people on cell phones while they're driving. My wife will call me and I'll answer and say "I'm driving" ...I'll hang up and pull off and call back. 99% of the time the call is to talk about bullshit etc. I keep telling her "dude....can that shit wait"? For whatever reason as soon as she gets in her car she thinks it's time to start calling motherfuckers. Wtf.

loochy
10-06-2014, 12:49 PM
People don't use headsets or in-car systems?

Just Passin' By
10-06-2014, 01:36 PM

A new study conducted on the behalf of AAA has brought the debate back to life by saying that hands-free devices aren't a safe alternative to chatting while driving. The study headed by University of Utah psychology professor David Strayer concludes that it's not a lack of free hands that makes talking and driving dangerous, it's the simple fact that you're splitting your attention between the road and arguing over dinner plans.

http://motherboard.vice.com/blog/talking-to-your-car-is-just-as-dangerous-as-talking-on-your-phone-1

Lzen
10-06-2014, 01:41 PM
No doubt about it.

Sounds like everyone you know needs a swift kick in the groin. :shake:

I forgot to mention that this is also a near and dear topic to me because my cousin's daughter was hit by a car last year while riding her bicycle. The driver was texting. She lost a leg and she is a little slower than she used to be. It is a miracle that she survived, albeit not without major injuries and rehab. That's not an exaggeration, either. The doctors didn't think she was going to live through it. If you never believed in miracles before, this story should.

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=272875&highlight=cousin+daughter

loochy
10-06-2014, 01:47 PM
http://motherboard.vice.com/blog/talking-to-your-car-is-just-as-dangerous-as-talking-on-your-phone-1

please outlaw SUVs full of kids and bitching wives please

hell, just remove all passenger seats

ban radios

and old people

Just Passin' By
10-06-2014, 01:56 PM
please outlaw SUVs full of kids and bitching wives please

hell, just remove all passenger seats

ban radios

and old people

They're laying the groundwork for laws requiring all cars to be automated.

KevB
10-06-2014, 01:56 PM
Texting, singing, talking, eating, just plain being a shitty driver. Whatever the excuse, and whatever is blamed, it's all the same in the end.

Bad driving is bad driving.

I believe this to be the truth. People that are willing to allow themselves to be distracted will do so regardless the technology available. Before cell phones, it was distraction due to the radio, or eating, or doing makeup or reading. I've literally seen people driving down the road holding a book at the top of their steering wheel. Cell phones have made it that much easier to become distracted, certainly.

Amnorix
10-06-2014, 02:01 PM

This may well happen during our lifetimes, and will probably greatly improve traffic, parking and many other headaches of daily driving.

On the downside, a computer glitch could kill dozens if not hundreds, or thousands, but hey, best not to think about that.

Amnorix
10-06-2014, 02:03 PM
The Boston Globe had a front page, top of the fold, story on the many, many accidents police are involved in and cause. I am not one of those who bashes cops all the time, but this article was definitely disturbing.

You can adjust for miles driven, and all that, but the bottom line is that too many cops think the rules of the road are irrelevant to them, and therefore speed, or run lights, or just aren't sufficiently cautious, and get into very, very serious accidents, sometimes ruining the lives of those they are sworn to protect and serve.

http://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/2014/10/04/police-cruiser-accidents-leave-trail-battered-vehicles-expensive-lawsuits-painful-injuries/ZN6thlQQSzzDPoAib2JQsI/story.html

Bearcat
10-06-2014, 02:12 PM

I believe this to be the truth. People that are willing to allow themselves to be distracted will do so regardless the technology available. Before cell phones, it was distraction due to the radio, or eating, or doing makeup or reading. I've literally seen people driving down the road holding a book at the top of their steering wheel. Cell phones have made it that much easier to become distracted, certainly.

These are the two issues... idiots who don't realize they could wait until after they pass that semi or go through that intersection before texting or calling someone.... and idiots who are oblivious all the time, like the one in the story. Cell phones, maps/GPS, etc; just give those idiots more to choose from.

BucEyedPea
10-06-2014, 02:18 PM
I was just behind someone in the speed lane going about 40 miles an hour on a three lane highway in one direction. (The other three lanes were going in the opposite to give you an idea.) Finally had to pass her. What was she doing, talking on her phone. Routinely, I find drivers going too slow as in too far below the speed limit talking on their phone and not paying attention to how they're affecting others.

10-06-2014, 02:22 PM
Yep, it was a phone user that rolled my minivan back in 2009. I don't care how proficient you think you are with a phone you are not proficient enough. Put the damn phone down.

TinyEvel
10-06-2014, 02:24 PM
Phones should have a "driving" setting. You just press one button when you get in your car and everything -- calls, texts, emails, alerts -- are sent to a holding bin and delivered to you when you disable the hold. People who send you texts or calls are given a message that you are driving and it's dangerous to pick up or reply. There could be an emergency override of this if it is truly an emergency.

Rudy tossed tigger's salad
10-06-2014, 02:35 PM
Don't care, fuck cops

loochy
10-06-2014, 03:04 PM

That would work for me. I could take naps, do work, read books, etc

10-06-2014, 03:05 PM
That would work for me. I could take naps, do work, read books, etc

I just can't imagine ever getting to the point I would trust a computer to drive for me.

loochy
10-06-2014, 03:05 PM
I just can't imagine ever getting to the point I would trust a computer to drive for me.

you trust them to fly for you

10-06-2014, 03:09 PM

It helps that I cannot see out the cockpit window. To be sitting in my drivers seat knowing how I would react to something and waiting for the computer to react or seeing it do something different would not sit well with me.

ThaVirus
10-06-2014, 03:09 PM
Phones should have a "driving" setting. You just press one button when you get in your car and everything -- calls, texts, emails, alerts -- are sent to a holding bin and delivered to you when you disable the hold. People who send you texts or calls are given a message that you are driving and it's dangerous to pick up or reply. There could be an emergency override of this if it is truly an emergency.

In a perfect world.

Would never work in ours.

Amnorix
10-06-2014, 03:10 PM

That would be difficult, but I'd probably be happy that computers were driving for others.

Imagine, drunk driving -- eliminated. Sleepy/tired driving -- eliminated. Driving while high on meth, or heroin, or whatever -- eliminated. Distracted driving -- eliminated.

Another upside -- real time coordination regarding traffic. You're heading from X to Y, and the normal route is heavily congested. Your car automatically adjusts to use alternative routes. Other cars also adjust automatically.

Parking. Your car will know where it will park when it gets there. A space is reserved for you so that when you arrive, it will automatically go to its space.

This isn't some George Jetsons version of the future. This is being worked on NOW, and we will very likely see some or all of this during our lifetimes. Imagine the veterans of World War II -- someone telling them that during their lifetime an American flag would be planted on the moon, when rockets had barely been invented, and in an age before computers really existed.

The far distant future is not so far as one might think.

http://blog.gadgethelpline.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/kirktrek.jpg

vailpass
10-06-2014, 03:11 PM
Hands free phone with audio text or nothing.

BucEyedPea
10-06-2014, 03:13 PM

Driving while texting is illegal in 38 states now.

BucEyedPea
10-06-2014, 03:16 PM

I hope those are an epic fail in the market.

BucEyedPea
10-06-2014, 03:18 PM

I've seen someone I work with use a hands-free Bluetooth in his ear while driving.

BucEyedPea
10-06-2014, 03:20 PM
Laws keep changing as technology changes. Here's a list of the states that ban, partially ban texting and the ones that have hands free laws while driving.

http://www.drivinglaws.org/indexhf.php

BucEyedPea
10-06-2014, 03:23 PM
Yep, it was a phone user that rolled my minivan back in 2009. I don't care how proficient you think you are with a phone you are not proficient enough. Put the damn phone down.

A truck driver was answering a text as he pull up to a red light. He wound up rear ending my daughter pushing under the truck in front of her with both ends of the car squished. She's lucky she was not seriously injured.

rabblerouser
10-06-2014, 03:27 PM

I have that on my phone - 'Drive Mode'.

Perineum Ripper
10-06-2014, 03:33 PM
I worked for a street maintenance crew for the city..I don't know how many times I or one of the other guys had to jump into the ditch or behind the truck because people would almost hit us from not paying attention

crazycoffey
10-06-2014, 03:45 PM
<TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: 1px inset; BORDER-LEFT: 1px inset; BORDER-TOP: 1px inset; BORDER-RIGHT: 1px inset" class=alt2>A new study conducted on the behalf of AAA has brought the debate back to life by saying that hands-free devices aren't a safe alternative to chatting while driving. The study headed by University of Utah psychology professor David Strayer concludes that it's not a lack of free hands that makes talking and driving dangerous, it's the simple fact that you're splitting your attention between the road and arguing over dinner plans. </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Hands free devices are just as distracting as having a conversation in the car.

But I disagree that it's just as dangerous as talking without a handsfree device. Whichever hand is holding the phone to your head is taking away peripheral vision, making it more difficult to catch a vehicle in a "blind spot" during lane changes. One hand on the wheel is not as effective when it comes to sudden evasive driving than having two hands.

BucEyedPea
10-06-2014, 03:49 PM
Everytime I see one of those Mack trucks on the highway and I see them swerving making me hesitant to pass, I eventually see that they're eating something. It's usually something causing them to drive like that. Truckers are supposed to be the best drivers too.

Donger
10-06-2014, 03:53 PM
This may well happen during our lifetimes, and will probably greatly improve traffic, parking and many other headaches of daily driving.

On the downside, a computer glitch could kill dozens if not hundreds, or thousands, but hey, best not to think about that.

Honestly, I'd rather have my life in the hands of software engineers instead of the general public.

Donger
10-06-2014, 03:54 PM

Do you fly commercially?

ThaVirus
10-06-2014, 04:03 PM
Do you fly commercially?

Already been covered.

mikeyis4dcats.
10-06-2014, 04:27 PM
I have that on my phone - 'Drive Mode'.
yeah, through Google Now my phone knows I'm driving via gps and will ask me if I wish to have text messages read to me or if i want to answer a call via voice.

Bugeater
10-06-2014, 04:34 PM
I'm sure that totally stops people from doing it.

Bugeater
10-06-2014, 04:36 PM
A lot more shit to deal with on the ground.

Just Passin' By
10-06-2014, 04:36 PM

38 states where the government should fuck off.

ThaVirus
10-06-2014, 04:44 PM

Florida just made it illegal very recently.

I'm a pretty nosy driver. I like to look over at people at red lights or otherwise.

It's just a rough estimation but I'd say at least 15% of drivers have their phone in their hands while driving. It's easier to see at night with the glow, but even in the daytime you can see people's heads facing downward.

BWillie
10-06-2014, 04:52 PM
If they really care about the safety of others how come they give people so many tickets for going 6 over, but let people follow others too closely every second of everyday which probably cause 25 times more accidents. Cops seem to love giving speeding tickets for one reason, it's really easy and simple, and there is no judgement required.

Bugeater
10-06-2014, 04:59 PM
Florida just made it illegal very recently.

I'm a pretty nosy driver. I like to look over at people at red lights or otherwise.

It's just a rough estimation but I'd say at least 15% of drivers have their phone in their hands while driving. It's easier to see at night with the glow, but even in the daytime you can see people's heads facing downward.
Shit, I can tell who is fucking with their phones just by the way they're driving. And I don't really have a problem with people using them when they're stopped at lights, hell I do that.

Bugeater
10-06-2014, 05:01 PM
If they really care about the safety of others how come they give people so many tickets for going 6 over, but let people follow others too closely every second of everyday which probably cause 25 times more accidents. Cops seem to love giving speeding tickets for one reason, it's really easy and simple, and there is no judgement required.
I've never heard of anyone getting a ticket for 6 over.

But to expand on that point, out of the states that have banned texting while driving, I wonder what ratio of texting vs speeding tickets are being handed out. I know which one I feel more endangered by.

BWillie
10-06-2014, 05:04 PM
I've never heard of anyone getting a ticket for 6 over.

But to expand on that point, out of the states that have banned texting while driving, I wonder what ratio of texting vs speeding tickets are being handed out. I know which one I feel more endangered by.

I don't quite understand how they can enforce texting while driving. Phones are used for more than one thing, just because someone is looking at their phone doesn't mean they are texting. They might be using GPS, looking at the time, listening to music and glancing down to see who is playing. Not saying you should do that while driving, but it seems almost unenforceable.

Bugeater
10-06-2014, 05:26 PM
I don't quite understand how they can enforce texting while driving. Phones are used for more than one thing, just because someone is looking at their phone doesn't mean they are texting. They might be using GPS, looking at the time, listening to music and glancing down to see who is playing. Not saying you should do that while driving, but it seems almost unenforceable.
Exactly. It's a useless law.

jd1020
10-06-2014, 05:29 PM
Some people make it blatantly obvious that they are texting. I've seen a girl driving with her forearms as she held her phone above the steering wheel typing away.

There's always a time stamp on text's so if you do get pulled over for texting when you weren't, you have proof when you go to court.

Bearcat
10-06-2014, 05:36 PM
Good job, Alaska... (it's actually $10,000 and a year in jail).

http://www.motherjones.com/files/texting_vv.jpg

BucEyedPea
10-06-2014, 05:42 PM
38 states where the government should **** off.

You're on a govt built and paid for road or highway. Sorry, you can't tell the govt to **** off when you're on their property. Personally, I think texting while driving violates the rights of others since it puts them at risk. It causes accidents.

BucEyedPea
10-06-2014, 05:44 PM

It will some people. That is if they know about it. If someone is texting while driving I ask them not to if I am work/traveling. I won't do it. Not after getting a ticket for not having my seat belt on.

Just Passin' By
10-06-2014, 05:57 PM
You're on a govt built and paid for road or highway. Sorry, you can't tell the govt to **** off when you're on their property. Personally, I think texting while driving violates the rights of others since it puts them at risk. It causes accidents.

In four short sentences, you got property laws wrong, showed a completely lack of understanding of rights, and managed to mislead with the use of the word "causes" rather than the realistic "occasionally contributes to".

crazycoffey
10-06-2014, 05:59 PM
In four short sentences, you got property laws wrong, showed a completely lack of understanding of rights, and managed to mislead with the use of the word "causes" rather than the realistic "occasionally contributes to".

You're not exactly proving your knowledge either.....
Now off to DC with your debate

Just Passin' By
10-06-2014, 06:00 PM
You're not exactly proving your knowledge either.....
Now off to DC with your debate

I wasn't debating. I made a one sentence comment. Someone responded with a host of errors. I pointed it out. End of story.

Enjoy tonight's game.

saphojunkie
10-06-2014, 06:04 PM

You ever fly in a plane?

saphojunkie
10-06-2014, 06:05 PM
38 states where the government should **** off.

So fucking idiotic I can't see straight.

jd1020
10-06-2014, 06:12 PM
You ever fly in a plane?

Not quite the same thing.

BucEyedPea
10-06-2014, 06:33 PM

Nope, driving while intexticated is another form of distraction and my daughter was crashed into while a man looked down at a text. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to see it. People fall in fountains and walk into walls while texting too. I've seen it.

BWillie
10-06-2014, 06:38 PM
Some people make it blatantly obvious that they are texting. I've seen a girl driving with her forearms as she held her phone above the steering wheel typing away.

There's always a time stamp on text's so if you do get pulled over for texting when you weren't, you have proof when you go to court.

Pretty easily to delete that before the cop gets there, and then show them your phone and be like see, I wasn't texting.

srvy
10-06-2014, 06:41 PM
Personally think there is a solution out there already if FCC and cellular providers were serious. Outlaw all phones without GPS. Then set the phone for movement more that a brisk walk to put the phone into pause until back under the minimum MPH. Make this that it cant be turned off or fiddled with. Any phone found hacked would lead to serious fines and loss of license for a determined amount of time.

BWillie
10-06-2014, 06:42 PM

I agree. I just don't see how you enforce it. On the flip side, I think it's bullshit you can get a ticket for not wearing a seat belt, or not wearing a helmet on a motorcycle. That doesn't hurt anybody, but you. You should be able to do anything you want, as long as you aren't endangering others.

BucEyedPea
10-06-2014, 06:43 PM
Thought I'd look up some statistics or studies done on distractions and driving just to see. I think we have a law on driving while impaired in Florida even.

https://www.edgarsnyder.com/car-accident/cause-of-accident/cell-phone/cell-phone-statistics.html

http://www.cdc.gov/motorvehiclesafety/distracted_driving/

http://www.fcc.gov/guides/texting-while-driving

One study in the links: The Virginia Tech Transportation Institute found that text messaging creates a crash risk 23 times worse than driving while not distracted.

saphojunkie
10-06-2014, 06:45 PM
Not quite the same thing.

You think commercial pilots do jack shit?

BucEyedPea
10-06-2014, 06:46 PM
I agree. I just don't see how you enforce it. On the flip side, I think it's bullshit you can get a ticket for not wearing a seat belt, or not wearing a helmet on a motorcycle. That doesn't hurt anybody, but you. You should be able to do anything you want, as long as you aren't endangering others.

I can see that. On the enforcement, well if they can enforce it on seat belts then I suppose they can see someone doing something while driving...just not always. I can see drivers doing it when I'm driving. Some have a hand on the wheel while holding the phone then they use the other hand. Unless someone single fingers it with the phone down out of view.

10-07-2014, 04:01 AM
You ever fly in a plane?

I don't have a pilots license so no.

Valiant
10-07-2014, 04:37 AM

Agreed, most of them are Officers I see. Actually most people are on their phones. When I see someone driving erratic they are generally on the phone. But it is not just phones: radio, gps, shaving, makeup and eating are right up there. And from the stats I have read, right up there with phones and texting on increases of accidents.

Won't say it on Kdot, but MoDot are worthless workers stealing money.

Valiant
10-07-2014, 04:45 AM
Personally think there is a solution out there already if FCC and cellular providers were serious. Outlaw all phones without GPS. Then set the phone for movement more that a brisk walk to put the phone into pause until back under the minimum MPH. Make this that it cant be turned off or fiddled with. Any phone found hacked would lead to serious fines and loss of license for a determined amount of time.

Maybe in fantasyland.

You would cripple law enforcement as they use their cellphones while driving. A lot use them to power their laptops if they do not have a 3/4g device.

Then you stop every passenger not driving, riding a bus or train.

Better hope someone is not in a car with a stuck gas pedal or trapped in the trunk of car during a kidnapping.

And it is not illegal to hack your phone, it is YOUR phone.

And every phone has gps, if you are told a phone does not they are lying to you.

If you want to pass something like this, then we should make it illegal to have drive thru's, I mean it makes people want to eat and drive. And that causes them to lose concentration. Same with gps/cd/radio/mp3 players. They should all be disabled when moving. Causes distractions.

Hell, we should probably outlaw passenger vehicles. Other people cause problems. Make everything like a bus, where only the driver is by himself. Yeah that is it.

:rolleyes:

The thing to solve all problems and does not infringe upon the things above for good drivers is to ticket RECKLESS DRIVERS. This is easily caught on tape.

Valiant
10-07-2014, 04:49 AM
Pretty easily to delete that before the cop gets there, and then show them your phone and be like see, I wasn't texting.

A good cop would just subpoena your phone record, you cannot delete that.

Boiled Chicken
10-07-2014, 05:22 AM

I agree with this, but the revenue loss makes me think it will be later rather than sooner. Insurance(no more rate differences for under 25, or rate increases for accidents and speeding tickets, for example)and municipalities that depend on citations could lobby for years against automation.

Simply Red
10-07-2014, 05:52 AM
I agree with this, but the revenue loss makes me think it will be later rather than sooner. Insurance(no more rate differences for under 25, or rate increases for accidents and speeding tickets, for example)and municipalities that depend on citations could lobby for years against automation.

You seem nice.

BWillie
10-07-2014, 07:48 AM
A good cop would just subpoena your phone record, you cannot delete that.
They arent gonna subpoena your cell phone records, for a $50 ticket. Come on now.

Chiefshrink
10-07-2014, 07:49 AM

This a million times !!

Lzen
10-07-2014, 08:03 AM
Do you fly commercially?

Get back to me when auto pilot means a computer controls takeoff and landing.

Lzen
10-07-2014, 08:04 AM
A lot more shit to deal with on the ground.

This, too. The sky is lot bigger space with which to work. I'm sure auto pilot fails sometimes. And the pilot would just take over.

Lzen
10-07-2014, 08:08 AM

You bring up some good points. But I know at least in my cousin's case, they used the phone records to bring the hammer down on her.

BWillie
10-07-2014, 08:10 AM
You bring up some good points. But I know at least in my cousin's case, they used the phone records to bring the hammer down on her.
Just for a texting while driving ticket or was she in an accident where she was allegedly texting

threebag
10-07-2014, 08:13 AM
This, too. The sky is lot bigger space with which to work. I'm sure auto pilot fails sometimes. And the pilot would just take over.

http://media.gunaxin.com/wp-content/uploads/gallery/glenn-quagmire/glenn-quagmire.jpg

Giggity Giggity Alrighht

Lzen
10-07-2014, 08:21 AM
Just for a texting while driving ticket or was she in an accident where she was allegedly texting

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=272875&highlight=cousin+daughter

http://www.wibw.com/home/headlines/Prosecutors-Driver-Speeding-Texting-When-Rylee-Robinson-Hit-264498021.html

http://www.wibw.com/home/headlines/Trial-Date-Set-For-Driver-That-Hit-Bicyclist-265318001.html

And one last link. This is an amazing girl.

http://www.wibw.com/home/headlines/Teenage-Girl-Exceeding-Expectations-After-Bicycle-Wreck-266137371.html

BucEyedPea
10-07-2014, 08:23 AM
Agreed, most of them are Officers I see. Actually most people are on their phones. When I see someone driving erratic they are generally on the phone. But it is not just phones: radio, gps, shaving, makeup and eating are right up there. And from the stats I have read, right up there with phones and texting on increases of accidents.

Won't say it on Kdot, but MoDot are worthless workers stealing money.

It's worse now with so many people on phones. I don't recall seeing that many people eating as they are using their phones.

Just Passin' By
10-08-2014, 11:31 AM
Nope, driving while intexticated is another form of distraction and my daughter was crashed into while a man looked down at a text. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to see it. People fall in fountains and walk into walls while texting too. I've seen it.

My post pointed to your mistakes of law, so your stories don't really serve as a response. With regards to your stories, though, I've seen people walk into walls while talking to a friend, listening to a Walkman, and just walking along. People do what people do, regardless of whether or not they are distracted by outside stimulus.

If you're going to whine about texting, at least be consistent. Demand that all cars be one person vehicles without radios. Ban interactive automobile computers and criminalize all forms of distracted driving. Hell, if you were really being consistent, you'd just call for the outlawing of automobiles entirely.

Jimmya
10-08-2014, 01:00 PM
I do freak out when i see a crap load of people using their phones while driving, walking, jogging, and eating.....Crazy!

BucEyedPea
10-08-2014, 01:23 PM
My post pointed to your mistakes of law, so your stories don't really serve as a response.
Nope. You just disagree iyo. A public road or highway is not private property. That is a fact.

With regards to your stories, though, I've seen people walk into walls while talking to a friend, listening to a Walkman, and just walking along. People do what people do, regardless of whether or not they are distracted by outside stimulus.
So. It proves the point. Even studies done on multi-tasking show people make more errors or mistakes. People aren't doing what they're doing while they're doing it when they are trying to do something else at the same time. Makes sense to me.

So on a scale of one to ten, those things are also distractions but some are worse than others. I put texting in that category while driving a dangerous vehicle at the same time. I'd put it right after driving while drunk. Texting requires dexterous use of ones fingers on a mini-keyboard while driving. Studies, which I showed in my links, provide ample evidence of more accidents while texting. Just because other distractions can lead to the same, doesn't refute that texting doesn't. It's a matter of degree on a scale.

If you're going to whine about texting, at least be consistent. Demand that all cars be one person vehicles without radios. Ban interactive automobile computers and criminalize all forms of distracted driving. Hell, if you were really being consistent, you'd just call for the outlawing of automobiles entirely.
I'm not whining. I'm stating my opinion and what I am using to make that opinion. Are you this hostile and accusative in real life too when you disagree with someone?

Apparently 38 states feel it's been enough of a problem to make it illegal. I don't know that anyone gets put in jail for it as a criminal though. That's your own strawman argument. They get fined.

crazycoffey
10-08-2014, 02:15 PM
Why does it smell like crap in here now?

Just Passin' By
10-08-2014, 02:38 PM
Nope. You just disagree iyo. A public road or highway is not private property. That is a fact.

That wasn't the issue, and that wasn't your claim. Look, there's no point in discussing this. You don't even know what you originally posted, and you don't
understand powers/rights.

Explaining that stuff in any more depth would probably take this to D.C., so I'll just leave it there.

Just Passin' By
10-08-2014, 02:38 PM
Why does it smell like crap in here now?

Wipe your shoes. The place is all yours.

R8RFAN
10-08-2014, 03:16 PM
I drive 500+ miles a night... 90% of the cars that pass me have a lit up screen on a cellphone nowadays..

Hell even truck drivers are doing it, as shitty as the truck drivers are today and they have a cell phone in their hands.

crazycoffey
10-08-2014, 07:59 PM
Wipe your shoes. The place is all yours.

No it's you DC shitheads

Just Passin' By
10-08-2014, 09:23 PM
No it's you DC shitheads

I don't go to DC. But, as I said, the place is all yours. Enjoy the thread.

Al Bundy
10-08-2014, 09:25 PM
I see every other person in the morning and in the afternoon on my drive home with a cell phone in their hand, either texting or talking. I stream from mine, but it never leaves the holder.

crazycoffey
10-08-2014, 09:28 PM
I don't go to DC. But, as I said, the place is all yours. Enjoy the thread.

Then leave and don't come back. Thank you

BucEyedPea
10-08-2014, 09:30 PM
I drive 500+ miles a night... 90% of the cars that pass me have a lit up screen on a cellphone nowadays..

Hell even truck drivers are doing it, as shitty as the truck drivers are today and they have a cell phone in their hands.

When I travel for work some of the folks I go with use one of those things that stick the phone to the dash or window on the rental car. But they're using it for GPS.

bsroyals54
10-08-2014, 10:38 PM
Meh, I don't feel bad whatsoever, its what she gets for blindly following trends, dumb whore

She's lucky she didn't take anyone with her

R8RFAN
10-09-2014, 08:43 AM
When I travel for work some of the folks I go with use one of those things that stick the phone to the dash or window on the rental car. But they're using it for GPS.

Yea I know the difference... I know what google maps and waze looks like ... These phones are in hand