PDA

View Full Version : Royals Never Thought I Would Post This in the Playoffs, But......

Archie F. Swin
10-06-2014, 02:21 PM
I kind of miss hearing Rex Hudler's game analysis. He seemed a lot more focused this season and didn't just talk to fill space. He was a hell of a cheerleader, but was willing to offer up honest criticism when needed.

I'm guessing he's not involved in the radio broadcasts?

http://dy.snimg.com/story-image/5/54/258753/258753-650-366.jpg

gblowfish
10-06-2014, 02:27 PM
Hud is a total dork, and total Baghdad Bob for the Royals, but he's a lot better than that douche Ron Darling.

TLO
10-06-2014, 02:29 PM
Hate the TBS broadcast.

Dartgod
10-06-2014, 02:31 PM
I've grown to like Uncle Hud.

Winning will do that for you, I guess.

alnorth
10-06-2014, 02:32 PM
Not many people have criticized Hud more than me, but I'll take him over the TBS booth. Maybe they are fine for a national audience, but they don't know jack about the Royals.

Also, TBS's decision to mostly mute the crowd sucks, no one else is doing that. I understand you gotta mute them a bit so we can hear the call but they went way too far.

Dr. Gigglepants
10-06-2014, 02:34 PM
Why is tbs paying cal ripken to sit there for 3 hours?
Posted via Mobile Device

ptlyon
10-06-2014, 02:35 PM
Why is tbs paying cal ripken to sit there for 3 hours?
Posted via Mobile Device

This. I fully expected more out of Cal.

Three7s
10-06-2014, 02:35 PM
Not many people have criticized Hud more than me, but I'll take him over the TBS booth. Maybe they are fine for a national audience, but they don't know jack about the Royals.

Also, TBS's decision to mostly mute the crowd sucks, no one else is doing that. I understand you gotta mute them a bit so we can hear the call but they went way too far.
I know, that's what I want to hear more than anything. The crowd during the post-game last night was amazing.

mr. tegu
10-06-2014, 02:36 PM
I have been a Hud defender for a while. He brings passion and excitement to the broadcast which is infinitely more than what can be said for Denny.

gblowfish
10-06-2014, 02:42 PM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/XYvMMB3qv_w" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Eleazar
10-06-2014, 02:42 PM
He still needs to go. There are a million better options.

DMAC
10-06-2014, 02:43 PM
I really enjoy the FSKC crew.

Archie F. Swin
10-06-2014, 02:45 PM
He still needs to go. There are a million better options.
You're not good at arithmetic.

1moreTRich
10-06-2014, 02:45 PM
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a310/flyC3girl/Rex-Hudler-GIF_zpsb28ba017.gif (http://s14.photobucket.com/user/flyC3girl/media/Rex-Hudler-GIF_zpsb28ba017.gif.html)

cmh6476
10-06-2014, 02:49 PM
If Ripken is on the broadcast in the ALCS they better have Brett in there as well to tell pant-shitting stories or something

gblowfish
10-06-2014, 02:50 PM
Brett better lay off the crab meat in Maryland. It doesn't agree with him!

Dr. Gigglepants
10-06-2014, 02:58 PM
Hud is an acquired taste. He's hilarious once you get him though. You have to wonder if he's for real or is it an act?
Posted via Mobile Device

KCUnited
10-06-2014, 03:58 PM
There was a noticeable improvement in Hud the second half of the season. I'm happy his doctor(s) finally found the right mix of meds.

gblowfish
10-06-2014, 04:04 PM
Hud likes to talk about his sphincter...
A lot...

cosmo20002
10-06-2014, 04:05 PM
I have been a Hud defender for a while. He brings passion and excitement to the broadcast which is infinitely more than what can be said for Denny.

I guess we're supposed to love him because he's been there for a million years, but our Hall of Fame broadcaster is just dull. Remember him with Fred White? ZZZzzzzzz
He'd describe a George Brett HR about the same way he'd describe a routine grounder to shortstop.

Deberg_1990
10-06-2014, 04:12 PM
I still can't believe they put playoff games on MLB network and FOX Sports 1

What's the percentage of people in the US that have those channels?

Bearcat
10-06-2014, 04:16 PM
I guess we're supposed to love him because he's been there for a million years, but our Hall of Fame broadcaster is just dull. Remember him with Fred White? ZZZzzzzzz
He'd describe a George Brett HR about the same way he'd describe a routine grounder to shortstop.

Read a quote from him once where he basically said showing excitement was a slippery slope.... uh, that doesn't mean you can't have a pulse.... LMAO

I've heard some bits from like '85 and he seemed more excited back then... not that it was a huge leap from "whelp, the Royals are in the playoffs for the first time in 29 years... yep."

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/SBL4QXMmXbk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Bearcat
10-06-2014, 04:19 PM

That's the point.

BWillie
10-06-2014, 04:22 PM
Agreed about Hud. I didn't like it at first, because I am loyal to Frank White and the guys that are real previous Royals, but Huds#1 job is to entertain and to bring fans to the broadcast. Chodes like us who have to go on message boards to discuss Royals more intensely and who follow them every day, inning to inning aren't why Hud was hired. Think about it, we are going to watch the FSKC broadcast no matter what. With Hud, you can really grab the casual fan, and some families and kids. It was probably about the best possible hire you can get for that crew.

AndChiefs
10-06-2014, 05:00 PM

Houston radio was just making fun of how awful his call was for the final strikeout last night.

After hearing that crap...I agree.

KCBOSS1
10-06-2014, 05:25 PM
I like Rex... He annoyed me and my boys terribly at first and we made fun of him all of the time. But now he's grown on us. I think he's a genuine dude.

MTG#10
10-06-2014, 06:03 PM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/XYvMMB3qv_w" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Was he trying to be funny? I couldnt make it far enough to hear what he said about Hudler. It amazes me how some people get a job being on tv.

mr. tegu
10-06-2014, 06:12 PM
Houston radio was just making fun of how awful his call was for the final strikeout last night.

After hearing that crap...I agree.

On the Royals web site you can hear the highlights from the TBS guys and then our radio guys. He called Gordon's double and Ryan called Hosmer's HR and the difference is amazing.

wilas101
10-06-2014, 06:35 PM
Hud strikes me as that one friend we all have who is a complete idiot but understands he is and just runs with it for everyone's entertainment.

Shogun
10-06-2014, 06:53 PM
Dennys calls aren't very good. But I enjoy his sarcastic banter. Still love him.

Ryan is my favorite and it isn't even close. He is extremely good at his job and we are fortunate to have him.

Phys is the absolute worst. Knows dick about the team and always lies about stats.

Hud is an acquired taste but I absolutely love the guy and would be really sad if he leaves.

Deberg_1990
10-06-2014, 06:57 PM
That's the point.

Watching FOX sports 1 right now.

It's just nice to have legitimate sports options other than ESPN

Personally I love the MLB network as well.

lewdog
10-06-2014, 07:58 PM
I got Hud to raise the roof to me here at the game in Arizona! Total fucking badass that guy.

He's a great counter to Fever who I just loathe and who seems to really lack paying attention which is hilarious when Hud is better at that than you.

ChiefsCountry
10-06-2014, 08:03 PM
Speaking of tv....

The Royals have played in three of the four highest rated postseason games in the metered markets.

http://www.sportsmediawatch.com/2014/10/mlb-postseason-tv-ratings-2014-royals-orioles-clinchers-up-tbs-overnights/

Deberg_1990
10-06-2014, 08:03 PM
Read a quote from him once where he basically said showing excitement was a slippery slope.... uh, that doesn't mean you can't have a pulse.... LMAO

I've heard some bits from like '85 and he seemed more excited back then... not that it was a huge leap from "whelp, the Royals are in the playoffs for the first time in 29 years... yep."

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/SBL4QXMmXbk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Good lord, that was just awful :facepalm:

SPchief
10-06-2014, 08:17 PM
Speaking of tv....

http://www.sportsmediawatch.com/2014/10/mlb-postseason-tv-ratings-2014-royals-orioles-clinchers-up-tbs-overnights/

Nearly 70% of KC households had the game on in the 9th inning. That's insane

ChiTown
10-06-2014, 09:09 PM
Good lord, that was just awful :facepalm:

I love Denny, as he is the voice of my youth. But all the losing must have sucked the life out of him. He's ridiculously boring to listen to. He needs to go.

Simplicity
10-06-2014, 09:21 PM
You could fall asleep to Denny's calls.

mr. tegu
10-06-2014, 10:19 PM
I will give Denny credit because his side commentary can be thought provoking and give you chills. During the have yesterday there were a few good examples. I don't recall when he said this but he said something like "when it's your turn, things will go your way, and right now its the Royals turn." I love the team of destiny undertones.

Then at the end of the game for the 0-2 count it was cool how he said, "here comes the 0-2 pitch, the crowd will let you know what happens...(Trout strikes out and the crowd goes nuts)...for the record it was a swinging strike to end the game." That was pretty cool and good timing.

He has a lot of other extra things that he adds in that are so well said. But for those calls on the big plays he needs let go and enjoy it and show his excitement.

Discuss Thrower
10-06-2014, 10:37 PM
I've missed Hud.

There, I said it.

chiefsfan987
10-07-2014, 12:16 AM
I love Denny, as he is the voice of my youth. But all the losing must have sucked the life out of him. He's ridiculously boring to listen to. He needs to go.

He has become pretty boring the last 5 years or so. However, the one thing I will say about him is that he really has a feel for the game. He calls so many things before it happens it's not even funny. Even when it's something you don't think is going to happen. He just has a real knack for knowing what is going to happen before it does.

10-07-2014, 12:42 AM

That's the point.

Trying to make the cord cutters stop cutting.

Discuss Thrower
10-07-2014, 01:01 AM
Trying to make the cord cutters stop cutting.

Trying to mitigate ad money losses from airing games on FOX.

10-07-2014, 01:10 AM
Trying to mitigate ad money losses from airing games on FOX.

I don't even know what that means. LMAO OF course, I don't understand TV and how its ad revenue works.

Valiant
10-07-2014, 01:14 AM
Man Ripken better not be allowed to announce the ALCS. IF he does we best get Brett or White in there with him.

10-07-2014, 01:17 AM
Man Ripken better not be allowed to announce the ALCS. IF he does we best get Brett of White in there with him.

Yeah, he shouldn't be anywhere near the booth for this one. Remove yourself now. No way he can be impartial. Not that he has anything meaningful to say anyway. LMAO

Archie F. Swin
10-07-2014, 05:07 AM
Phys is the absolute worst. Knows dick about the team and always lies about stats.

Physioc is pretty shaky on TV, but I think his radio calls are excellent (based on the 3-4 I heard this year).

Archie F. Swin
10-07-2014, 05:12 AM
Then at the end of the game for the 0-2 count it was cool how he said, "here comes the 0-2 pitch, the crowd will let you know what happens...(Trout strikes out and the crowd goes nuts)...for the record it was a swinging strike to end the game." That was pretty cool and good timing.

I heard that and found it very compelling. Sometimes as a broadcaster, its best just to get out of the way.

KCGal
10-07-2014, 11:57 AM
I heard that and found it very compelling. Sometimes as a broadcaster, its best just to get out of the way.

Could not agree more. I love that he turned it over to the 40,000 at Kauffman to tell you it was a strike. Just have me chills. Then he nonchalantly lets you know trout struck out swinging for the record. Loved it.

My little one is due any day now. I knew I was due during playoffs but now I'm wondering if he's waiting for royals World Series appearance???

duncan_idaho
10-07-2014, 12:14 PM
The Royals don't have a single announcer I really enjoy other than Denny Matthews (which is probably heavily tied to nostalgia).

I definitely don't miss Hudler.

Physioc is boring and often inaccurate, but I agree his radio calls are much better.

Lefebvre seems to not understand that he is the play-by-play guy, not the color guy. He talks way too much and spends way too much time focusing on his "stories." If I could, I'd lock him in a room with nothing to entertain himself with but tapes of Vin Scully-called games, and not let him come out until he's learned that sometimes, silence is good.

I appreciate that Denny takes more of an old school approach and isn't afraid of a few seconds of radio silence. But I'm a baseball snob - at least when it comes to broadcasters - who doesn't need much commentary, so I'm sure I'm not quite the demographic they're going for (probably why I never thought Frank White was all that good as a color guy, either).

ChiefsCountry
10-07-2014, 12:27 PM
I couldn't believe FOX could get worse than Tim McCarver but Harold Reynolds and Verduzzi suck. Watching the game last night they were flat out horrible. Of course the TBS crew is horrible as well.

wilas101
10-07-2014, 12:30 PM
My problem with Physioc is his attempts to sensationalize shit that shouldn't even be mentioned. Here's my off the top of my head Physioc-like filler story.

"I had a chance before the game, Hud, to talk to Nori Aoki about his approach on the bases and he said, through his interpreter, Kosuke, because as you know Hud, Nori doesn't speak a single word of english. But working through Kosuke i was able to ask Nori about his approach on the base paths and he said that his approach is to hit the ball and then run as fast as he can until he gets to first base. He just runs as fast as he can! Now he says that approach works for him but it got me to thinking, Rex, that maybe some of our other young guys could use that approach as well"

KCUnited
10-07-2014, 12:30 PM
I don't understand having 3 guys in a booth for any kind of sporting event.