PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Alex Boone: Poe is a monster, "never seen anything like it"

RealSNR
10-09-2014, 12:03 PM
http://www.arrowheadpride.com/2014/10/6/6917869/49ers-alex-boone-chiefs-dontari-poe-monster-sack

The Kansas City Chiefs lost on Sunday but a San Francisco 49ers offensive lineman is talking about what a beast Chiefs nose tackle Dontari Poe is. 49ers' Alex Boone plays guard San Francisco so he was going up against Poe on plenty of occasions.

Speaking to the 49ers media after the game, Boone commented on Poe, a 340-pound man with pass rush moves.

"It's like going up against a monster," Boone said, via Niners Nation. "He's a beast. He hit me with a fake inside-outside club, never seen anything like it."

When a proud offensive lineman is saying something like that after the game, you know Poe has done something right.

The play Boone is talking about is shown below. Boone, who is listed at 6'8 and 300 pounds, is No. 75. He is facing Poe, who is listed at 346 pounds but likely a little lighter. Poe fakes inside then goes around Boone. It's not just that pass rush move but the quickness Poe has to get to the quarterback. Colin Kaepernick may have escaped but when the nose tackle is in the quarterback's face he's usually not the only one. Chiefs defensive end Allen Bailey ended up with a sack on this play.

<iframe class="vine-embed" src="https://vine.co/v/OKij2Kg5mlb/embed/simple" width="600" height="600" frameborder="0"></iframe><script async src="//platform.vine.co/static/scripts/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

The Franchise
10-09-2014, 12:04 PM
Poe sucks and is overrated. /Sac

tooge
10-09-2014, 12:04 PM
But he was a reach and a bust when he was drafted at #11

Strongside
10-09-2014, 12:09 PM
That move is ridiculous for a man that size.

Easy 6
10-09-2014, 12:12 PM
The most important position in a 34 defense and we have a real gem there.

Frosty
10-09-2014, 12:13 PM

I'll have to admit that I wanted nothing to do with Poe in that draft. I thought he was a workout warrior who had underachieved at a small school.

Glad I was wrong. :thumb:

ptlyon
We would be undefeated if we had 19 Poes and 3 mini Ditkas

O.city
Good lord

HC_Chief
10-09-2014, 12:16 PM
That move brought back great memories of big Dan Saleamua blowing up plays from the NT position. KC has a legit D. Yes, there are some weak spots, but man, are there some seriously strong spots to make up for it.

Let's hope Bob Sutton doesn't lose his balls again this year. If he does, he needs to lose his damn job.

RealSNR
10-09-2014, 12:21 PM
That move brought back great memories of big Dan Saleamua blowing up plays from the NT position. KC has a legit D. Yes, there are some weak spots, but man, are there some seriously strong spots to make up for it.

Let's hope Bob Sutton doesn't lose his balls again this year. If he does, he needs to lose his damn job.If we can keep both Dontari Poe and Justin Houston on this team for the next several years, this D should at least be decent. If we draft surrounding players worth a squirrel fart, it will be a top 5 unit year in and year out.

It all starts with those two, though.

Iconic
10-09-2014, 12:33 PM
Weight room warrior, nothing to see here/CP

the Talking Can
10-09-2014, 12:37 PM
If we can keep both Dontari Poe and Justin Houston on this team for the next several years, this D should at least be decent. If we draft surrounding players worth a squirrel fart, it will be a top 5 unit year in and year out.

It all starts with those two, though.

and you don't let either go...they're going to be top-3 players at their positions for most of their careers

Jimmya
10-09-2014, 12:50 PM
I hope he keeps it up!

WhiteWhale
10-09-2014, 01:01 PM
In 2 years folks around here will be talking about how we need to cut him to free cap space.

RealSNR
10-09-2014, 01:08 PM
In 2 years Dorsey will cut him to free cap space.FYP

rtmike
10-09-2014, 01:12 PM
I'll have to admit that I wanted nothing to do with Poe in that draft. I thought he was a workout warrior who had underachieved at a small school.

Pass me a plate of black bird. I was pissed when Pee Hole E drafted him.

Rain Man
10-09-2014, 01:17 PM
Great move, but how did he miss getting the sack?

RealSNR
10-09-2014, 01:25 PM

Kaepernick is a slippery eel, and quickly sidestepped at the last minute so that Poe's weight and momentum weren't cleanly directed at Kaepernick to get him down.

If that play happened against any other QB besides perhaps Russell Wilson, Poe gets the sack.

ptlyon
10-09-2014, 01:29 PM
Kaepernick is a slippery eel, and quickly sidestepped at the last minute so that Poe's weight and momentum weren't cleanly directed at Kaepernick to get him down.

So he fucked up?

Rain Man
10-09-2014, 01:30 PM

If that play happened against any other QB besides perhaps Russell Wilson, Poe gets the sack.

That has to be annoying for a defensive lineman, on the field and off the field. You figure that at contract time, management will say to Poe, "Hey, Bailey has more sacks than you".

And then they'll say to Bailey, "You got a garbage sack. Poe made the play."

RealSNR
10-09-2014, 01:32 PM
So he fucked up?

Your words, not mine

gblowfish
10-09-2014, 01:34 PM
Only problem is, that was one of his few good plays the entire game. Frank Gore ran all over him all day long.

RealSNR
10-09-2014, 01:38 PM
Only problem is, that was one of his few good plays the entire game. Frank Gore ran all over him all day long.

Frank Gore didn't do shit in the 1st half. That's not "all day long."

And you as well as I know that had Derrick Johnson been playing this game, Gore doesn't get half of those 10+ yard runs that he cracked off. He finishes with under 100, and the Chiefs probably win the game. Our ILB in the 2nd half was atrocious against the run.

jd1020
10-09-2014, 01:40 PM
Just a shame he tackles like a member of the Chiefs.

Frosty
10-09-2014, 01:41 PM
I don't want to go back and watch that again but it seemed like a lot of the runs were to the outside. Is that accurate?

RealSNR
10-09-2014, 01:43 PM
I don't want to go back and watch that again but it seemed like a lot of the runs were to the outside. Is that accurate?

Some were. Poe usually gets double-teamed on inside draws. Sometimes he still pushes through and makes the hole difficult to run through, and sometimes he gets blocked the fuck out.

I imagine he's still playing way too many snaps and getting shit tired.

Beef Supreme
10-09-2014, 01:50 PM

Not sure that's a fair assessment. Poe is usually eating up at least two blockers so that the inside linebackers can make a play on that run up the middle.

O.city
10-09-2014, 01:50 PM
Well, to be fair, the 9ers have one of if not the best run blocking offensive line in football. It's nasty.

The Franchise
10-09-2014, 01:56 PM
So he fucked up?

Holy shit....JJ Watt sucks.

https://d3j5vwomefv46c.cloudfront.net/photos/thumb/867414789.gif?1412535372

ModSocks
10-09-2014, 01:59 PM
Frank Gore didn't do shit in the 1st half. That's not "all day long."

And you as well as I know that had Derrick Johnson been playing this game, Gore doesn't get half of those 10+ yard runs that he cracked off. He finishes with under 100, and the Chiefs probably win the game. Our ILB in the 2nd half was atrocious against the run.

Exactly.

DJ, Berry and hell, even Mays are in this game and that 9ers team doesn't get that run game going.

RealSNR
10-09-2014, 02:01 PM

https://d3j5vwomefv46c.cloudfront.net/photos/thumb/867414789.gif?1412535372

Watt is getting paid to make that tackle. Bowe is getting paid to make that catch. Alex is getting paid to babysit the locker room and make everybody go, "he seems nice." /CP

gblowfish
10-09-2014, 02:02 PM
Poe had two tackles and 1/2 sack. Not his best effort.
SF rushed for 171 yards, Gore was 107 of that.

Not exactly "stuffing the run."

jd1020
10-09-2014, 02:02 PM

http://memecrunch.com/meme/BW46/whoop/image.jpg

RealSNR
10-09-2014, 02:05 PM

Also, that's Tyron Smith that Watt abused. He's getting paid to protect his QB, damn it!

Well, that's it. I guess the only solution is to never pay your star athletes! Only way we can protect ourselves from their constant fuckups!

ModSocks
10-09-2014, 02:07 PM

If you've been paying attention, we're missing our two ILB's, you know, the guys responsible for filling those gaps? Poe is a beast, but no one is going to do this shit by themselves.

The man can't get double teamed AND make the tackle himself every freaking play.

Our run defense has been awful since we lost DJ. The 49ers are just the first team in a position to take advantage of that. Oh, and you best believe that more teams will keep running at them.

Rain Man
10-09-2014, 02:18 PM
I want to see the end of that JJ Watt clip just to see how fast he was back on his feet and in pursuit, because it looked like he was already recovered and ready to launch when the clip ended.

ThaVirus
10-09-2014, 02:25 PM

This is pretty funny. NTs in 3-4 aren't usually guys that are putting up big numbers, particularly in the sack department. Their contribution actually doesn't show up on the stat sheet at all the vast majority of the time.

SAUTO
10-09-2014, 02:30 PM
I want to see the end of that JJ Watt clip just to see how fast he was back on his feet and in pursuit, because it looked like he was already recovered and ready to launch when the clip ended.

romo threw a perfect completion

Sorter
10-09-2014, 02:39 PM

IIRC, SF went away from their typical power/wham/iso concepts for this game, primarily running outside zone.

I'll have to watch again to see how much Poe played a part in the loss .

Rudy tossed tigger's salad
10-09-2014, 02:50 PM

I agree

beach tribe
10-09-2014, 03:45 PM
The most important position in a 34 defense and we have a real gem there.

Let's move him to 5-tech........

Why was this idea so ****ing popular around here for so long?

Funny thing is that it was mostly the same people saying that taking a 5-tech high is ridiculously stupid........

So let's take the monster NT we drafted high and switch him to 5-tech.......Great Plan...

beach tribe
10-09-2014, 03:51 PM
This is pretty funny. NTs in 3-4 aren't usually guys that are putting up big numbers, particularly in the sack department. Their contribution actually doesn't show up on the stat sheet at all the vast majority of the time.

You have to be a special talent talent to put up #s from the nose.

He plays in a ton of sub packages too, so he will get more opportunities to make plays than a prototypical 3-4 anchor.

WhiteWhale
10-09-2014, 04:31 PM
Let's move him to 5-tech........

Why was this idea so ****ing popular around here for so long?

Funny thing is that it was mostly the same people saying that taking a 5-tech high is ridiculously stupid........

So let's take the monster NT we drafted high and switch him to 5-tech.......Great Plan...

Physically he compares to Ngata, and that's all the reason most people need.

There was, literally, no other justification for it other than the scouting reports from the pre-draft that compared him, physically, to Ngata.

Great thing is that Poe can play all over.

Direckshun
10-09-2014, 04:50 PM

The two most difficult tackles to make in football, is (a.) when a defender is charging at a standing offensive player who can go left or right, or (b.) when a defender is standing with an offensive player who can go left or right heading towards him.

kcxiv
10-09-2014, 05:47 PM

Linebackers are supposted to make plays on the runs. Poe's job is to take on to blockers and make a push, if he gets through thats a bonue, but him commanding 2 blockers is to free up 2 linebackers to do their job. Our inside Backers are average on a good day.

Saccopoo
10-09-2014, 05:54 PM
One move in one game and the circle jerk goes full force.

He's been consistently stood up and re-routed by single linemen all season. Alex Boone falls down and covers his ass by praising the defensive lineman and CP goes into full pound the pud mode.

And he couldn't wrap up a dude half his size...

I'm happy for you all.

OldSchool
10-09-2014, 06:01 PM
My only problem with Poe is the fact that his arms are really short for a man of his size and are the primary reason why he struggles to disengage from blockers at times. If he had 34" arms he would be the perfect specimen at NT. Instead, his arms are shorter than Dee Ford's. He'd be more consistently dominant if he had a longer reach.

ModSocks
10-09-2014, 06:13 PM

He's been consistently stood up and re-routed by single linemen all season. Alex Boone falls down and covers his ass by praising the defensive lineman and CP goes into full pound the pud mode.

I'm happy for you all.

How's Moncrief doing? Still on pace to beat Keenan Allen's rookie season?

OldSchool
10-09-2014, 06:17 PM
Physically he compares to Ngata, and that's all the reason most people need.

There was, literally, no other justification for it other than the scouting reports from the pre-draft that compared him, physically, to Ngata.

Great thing is that Poe can play all over.

His arms are way too short for 5-tech.

the Talking Can
10-09-2014, 06:18 PM

I'm happy for you all.

sorenson sends you a letter from whatever mormon mission he's on...

Dave Lane
10-09-2014, 06:58 PM
In 2 years folks around here will be talking about how we need to cut him to free cap space.

So we can draft Fishers replacement

TimeForWasp
10-09-2014, 08:02 PM
How can you not love the Memphis Monster.

Red Dawg
10-09-2014, 08:43 PM

I said the same thing.

chiefzilla1501
10-09-2014, 08:52 PM

Huh? What player have people bitched about that led you to believe that?

And don't say Branden Albert.

OldSchool
10-09-2014, 08:54 PM
Huh? What player have people bitched about that led you to believe that?

And don't say Branden Albert.

Bowe? Hali?

BigCatDaddy
10-09-2014, 10:18 PM

I think the major complaint was he is a 1 GAP up the field type player that was drafted to play in Romeo's 2 gap read and react shit scheme.

kcxiv
10-09-2014, 10:25 PM
So we can draft Fishers replacement

no, letting fisher go so we can draft his replacement.

Direckshun
10-09-2014, 10:32 PM

I'm happy for you all.

Are you shitting me, Sac?

J Diddy
10-09-2014, 10:33 PM
Are you shitting me, Sac?

Reported to the proper authorities.