PDA

View Full Version : Royals Royals national TV Ratings - postseason

Prison Bitch
10-13-2014, 10:11 AM
Wonder if MLB might be re-thinking that whole "big market necessity" thing?

Maury Brown Contributor
Where sports meets business
Opinions expressed by Forbes Contributors are their own.
FOLLOW

SPORTSMONEY 10/11/2014 @ 4:51PM 1,166 views
No Stars? No Big Markets? So What. Game 1 Of ALCS Most-Watched Of Postseason (http://www.forbes.com/sites/maurybrown/2014/10/11/no-stars-no-big-markets-so-what-game-1-of-alcs-most-watched-of-postseason/)
Comment Now Follow Comments

The argument for Major League Baseball has been that with its continued growth as more of a local and regional phenomenon, when it comes to the postseason, large market and storied brands are the key to national interest. With both the New York Yankees and Boston Red Sox missing the playoffs all together, and the Dodgers and Angels being bumped out during the Division Series, national television ratings were set to be some of the worst.

That’s been anything but the case, most notably in the ALCS.

No Derek Jeter. No David Ortiz. No Mike Trout. No big stars. Fans said, “Who cares?”, and turned in Friday night.

Another extra innings game – the fifth of this postseason, tied for the most in an entire postseason since 2004 –saw the Royals take a 1-0 lead in the ALCS over the Orioles. And despite the size of the markets involved – Baltimore and Kansas City represent the smallest markets in the American League and the smallest combined market matchup in ALCS history – television viewership was very strong.

An average of 5.9 million viewers tuned in to TBS’ telecast of Game One of the ALCS, an increase of +9% over last year’s comparable game, a 13-inning contest between the Dodgers and Cardinals in Game 1 of the 2013 NLCS.

Maury BrownMaury Brown Contributor
Where sports meets business
Opinions expressed by Forbes Contributors are their own.
FOLLOW

SPORTSMONEY 10/01/2014 @ 3:35PM 2,275 views
Dramatic AL Wild Card Game Between Royals And A's A Homerun On TV With 5.2 Million Viewers (http://www.forbes.com/sites/maurybrown/2014/10/01/dramatic-al-wild-card-game-between-royals-and-as-a-homerun-on-tv-with-5-2-million-viewers/)
Comment Now Follow Comments

It took 12 innings, a plethora of bunts by the Kansas City Royals, and a dramatic seesaw game, but Tuesday night’s American League Wild Card game that saw the Royals win 9-8 was a ratings homerun for TBS, who aired the game.

The dramatic game marked the first “winner-take-all” Postseason game to reach 12 innings since Game 7 of the 1924 World Series, in which the Washington Senators defeated the New York Giants. It was the ninth such game to go extra innings, and the first since Game 5 of the 2011 NLDS between the Milwaukee Brewers and Arizona Diamondbacks. The Royals are the first team in MLB history to come back from a deficit of four or more runs in the sixth inning or later in a decisive Postseason game, and just the fourth team ever to come back from such a deficit in any inning.

The win-or-go home game between the two averaged 5,234,000 total viewers nationally, an increase of 12 percent over an average of 4,675,000 total viewers for the two MLB Wild Card Games airing on the TBS last year.

Demonpenz
10-13-2014, 11:16 AM
Royals brand of baseball is exciting. People love speed and athletic people. If they just liked homeruns people would pack your local softball join.

Prison Bitch
10-13-2014, 11:51 AM
I was a bit surprised by all the Jeter hate the last month. Yes the coverage was a bit much but I think there's just a general fatigue among MLB fans about NYY-Boston and the ratings might be part of the proof.

Bambi
10-13-2014, 11:53 AM
National League Baseball is terrible. Even the most hardcore fans tune out.

Mr. Flopnuts
10-13-2014, 11:55 AM
Everyone loves a Cinderella story.

Sannyasi
10-13-2014, 11:57 AM
It doesn't hurt that the games themselves have been very exciting.

ChiefsCountry
10-13-2014, 12:00 PM
Sporting KC has over took the Royals /Zach

Mr. Flopnuts
10-13-2014, 12:06 PM

He hasn't even logged in since 9-30. Any coincidence that he stopped coming after the Royals made the playoffs?

Really it is. He has been coming less and less the last few months. I think the Ferguson deal was the last time he was posting a bunch. He's not even lurking now though.

No big deal. People move on from this site all the time. That's what happens when you have our culture and almost 15 years of existence.

Demonpenz
10-13-2014, 12:10 PM
Zachs twitter is all about the Royals. Probably not much here to yammer about with the chiefs.

Titty Meat
10-13-2014, 12:36 PM
He hasn't even logged in since 9-30. Any coincidence that he stopped coming after the Royals made the playoffs?

Really it is. He has been coming less and less the last few months. I think the Ferguson deal was the last time he was posting a bunch. He's not even lurking now though.

No big deal. People move on from this site all the time. That's what happens when you have our culture and almost 15 years of existence.

Zach is a hipster.

Cheater5
10-13-2014, 12:38 PM
You know, colin cowherd made a point to NOT talk about the Royals last week, stating 'they are a small market team, sorry. No can do.' He can suck my left testicle and I know his sorry ass won't admit to being wrong regarding the ratings.

Blah- in a hurry, but I've stopped listening to him and switched to Jim Rome of all people.

Prison Bitch
10-13-2014, 12:41 PM
Sorry but if you listen to that moron, that's on you not him.

As for ratings, if the MLB revenue pie is being tied more and more to TV (than attendance), and if TV ratings are being helped rather than hurt by the small markets....does that only enhance future revenue sharing agreements?

tk13
10-13-2014, 12:42 PM
Granted I don't listen to much sports radio, but I don't know how anyone listens to Cowherd. He's pretty much everything people dislike about ESPN personified.

WhitiE
10-13-2014, 12:51 PM
Granted I don't listen to much sports radio, but I don't know how anyone listens to Cowherd. He's pretty much everything people dislike about ESPN personified.

I loved him and that chick on sports nation, but then she left and was replaced by a stupid bitch so I stopped watching. Can't stand his show though, makes me wanna stab him with an icepick

Eleazar
10-13-2014, 12:53 PM
Cowherd is stupid, even for sports radio

BWillie
10-13-2014, 01:09 PM
Everyone loves a Cinderella story.

They do, but they also love when the best teams play each other. Like in the NCAA Tournament, the smaller games get people to tune in. But a matchup of Duke vs Mich State or Kansas vs Kentucky is what really draw viewers. But, a huge cinderella story can get ratings almost just as high.

Mr. Laz
10-13-2014, 01:28 PM
Dramatic AL Wild Card Game Between Royals And A's A Homerun On TV With 5.2 Million Viewers
good to hear

I hate big market.

Cheater5
10-13-2014, 03:11 PM

True enough...and I deserve to be chastised. However, I do live in a small city with limited options, and can barely pick up CBS Sports on AM.

Deberg_1990
10-13-2014, 04:20 PM

The absolute worst is the Stephen A Smith and Skip Bayless 'who can shout louder?' show

Hootie
10-13-2014, 04:26 PM
You know, colin cowherd made a point to NOT talk about the Royals last week, stating 'they are a small market team, sorry. No can do.' He can suck my left testicle and I know his sorry ass won't admit to being wrong regarding the ratings.

Blah- in a hurry, but I've stopped listening to him and switched to Jim Rome of all people.
His job is to get ratings. Best show on the radio, too. He's fantastic. And he never talks baseball, so, relax.

Hootie
10-13-2014, 04:28 PM
Wow. He's incredible. Listen to one of his Friday shows and get back to me.

mr. tegu
10-13-2014, 04:28 PM
Cowherd is the kind of guy that will spend 20 minutes in the opening segment on a Monday morning talking about Kaepernick's headphones fine. Then he will wrap up the show with another 10 minute rant about it. How riveting!

Hootie
10-13-2014, 04:30 PM
You guys don't like anyone, so this makes sense!!! I've literally never read someone on this site say, "boy, that [sports personality] sure is talented!" It's fascinating.

jimidollar
10-13-2014, 05:11 PM
You guys don't like anyone, so this makes sense!!! I've literally never read someone on this site say, "boy, that [sports personality] sure is talented!" It's fascinating.

I like the Dan Patrick show. I loved the Tony Bruno show back in the day.

Hootie
10-13-2014, 08:58 PM
I like the Dan Patrick show. I loved the Tony Bruno show back in the day.
I used to think Patrick was the best show...Then I stumbled upon Cowherd in the same slot and was like, "wow." I just agree with everything he says for the most part.

Prison Bitch
10-13-2014, 09:00 PM
That's scary Hoots.

'Hamas' Jenkins
10-13-2014, 09:04 PM
I don't mind listening to Cowherd, but he's a three hour daily episode of logical fallacies.

Everything is a generalization and/or oversimplification.

Hootie
10-13-2014, 10:32 PM
maybe it's because he basically talks about NFL the entire time...doesn't waste time talking about college football which is fantastic

he's amazing at picking against the spread. His blazing 5 is the best segment on sports radio on Fridays.

and he agrees with me about QB's all of the time. From Romo to Kaepernick to Rodgers.

So I may be biased...but I rarely, if ever, find myself thinking, "what. no."

Mike and Mike sucks. They are just too PR. I don't find that show to be entertaining. Dan Patrick is good, but he's even more full of himself than Rome.

My favorite shows, in order:

1. Cowherd
BIG GAP
2. DP
3. Rome
4. SVP and Russillo (this would be higher, but they talk to much college and I hate college)

I'd probably like Rome over DP if I could ever listen to him anymore...DP, Cowherd and SVP are all on TV now.

Hootie
10-13-2014, 10:34 PM
his blazing 5 is just fantastic if you bet football

dude is pro

Direckshun
10-13-2014, 10:40 PM
Why am I not surprised Hootie's into Cowherd.

Cowherd's bad, but he's not Dan Levitard, who is incredibly terrible.

I really enjoy Mike&Mike for all their faults, and SVP & Russillo, Sodano & Stink, and Freddie Coleman are all listenable.

Hootie
10-13-2014, 10:47 PM
so you like guys without strong opinions who try to keep everyone on their good side

I like Cowherd, who has an opinion and isn't afraid to be right, wrong, or hurt anyone's feelings

he's less aggressive than Rome, and his shows are always entertaining

That and I really like his football takes. They are really, really, really good and his views on QB's are identical to mine. When I'm listening to him, I'm generally always thinking..."why doesn't EVERYONE see this?!"

I mean, people hated him in Dallas because he CONSTANTLY ragged on them for thinking Romo was a garbage QB. Stuff I had been saying since Romo took over for Bledsoe.

It's hard for me to not like a guy who I literally agree with 9 times out of 10.

I've never read a thread on ChiefsPlanet where everyone was like, "wow, I really like that commentary." "Or wow, that sports journalist sure is swell!"

No, you guys hate everything. You LOATHE ESPN. You loathe local guys. You loathe national guys. It's incredible. You guys should all find a permanent mute button.

Cowherd is great. His ratings suggest people agree with me.

I don't mind Le Batard but he's certainly not one of my favorites. He can be entertaining but he is one of the Skip Bayless' of the world who thinks he's bigger than the actual athletes which bothers me.

Hootie
10-13-2014, 10:49 PM
I think we can ALL AGREE that Skip Bayless is the worst. I won't even watch that First Take show. I don't understand why people do. He literally spent an entire two years of that show saying Tim Tebow was going to be the next great NFL QB. How is that guy employed? He clearly has no idea what he's watching, and he's clearly out of the Whitlock school of "I'm not really going to believe what I'm saying I'm just going to find the topic that drives the most controversy which in turn gets me the most ratings even if it comes out of pure hate" journalism. And I can't stand it.

Yes, Colin sticks to big market topics, but he doesn't alter his opinions on things just for a ratings grab. Skip saw BIG RATINGS with Tebow and Christianity and it was sickening.

cosmo20002
10-13-2014, 10:52 PM

As for ratings, if the MLB revenue pie is being tied more and more to TV (than attendance), and if TV ratings are being helped rather than hurt by the small markets....does that only enhance future revenue sharing agreements?

No. Time will tell if KC/small markets hold up in the ratings, but I doubt it. Fox is probably dreading a KC-StL World Series.

National TV money is already shared. It is the local TV money that creates the huge disparity in revenues. KC's deal, signed when they were particularly shitty, is a particularly shitty deal.

Direckshun
10-13-2014, 11:01 PM
Skip Bayless was arguing with one of the NFL Draft gurus back in... I think it was 2012? Arguing that the Browns should pick Brandon Weeden 3rd overall.

He's a fucking fraud.

KChiefs1
10-13-2014, 11:29 PM
Cowherd is stupid, even for sports radio

You mean Cow Turd right?

KChiefs1
10-13-2014, 11:32 PM
Where is the story about the Royals being America's Team?

Hootie
10-13-2014, 11:53 PM
You mean Cow Turd right?
Good one. I mean, real creative. You're super witty bro!

|Zach|
10-14-2014, 02:42 AM

I have been coming here less literally for years. Lol.

|Zach|
10-14-2014, 02:43 AM

Do you have a link for this?

I mean...I actually don't want you to waste your time. Never said it.

KChiefs1
10-14-2014, 11:02 AM
Good one. I mean, real creative. You're super witty bro!

I get my best stuff from Phyllis.

Prison Bitch
10-14-2014, 11:07 AM

We are beneath him. He wants to beat off to hot garbage nobody cares about: the NBA

Bob Dole
10-14-2014, 11:20 AM

Here's one. (http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2230602-kansas-city-royals-becoming-americas-team-in-2014-cinderella-run)

And they even call Yost "Manager Goober" as a bonus.

Prison Bitch
10-14-2014, 11:31 AM
No. Time will tell if KC/small markets hold up in the ratings, but I doubt it. Fox is probably dreading a KC-StL World Series.

National TV money is already shared. It is the local TV money that creates the huge disparity in revenues. KC's deal, signed when they were particularly shitty, is a particularly shitty deal.

I know national TV is shared, I was talking about the actual revenue sharing (welfare) small markets get. Again I ask: would it be increased in the future if teams know small markets enhance TV ratings and not hurt?

CoMoChief
10-14-2014, 11:58 AM
I was a bit surprised by all the Jeter hate the last month. Yes the coverage was a bit much but I think there's just a general fatigue among MLB fans about NYY-Boston and the ratings might be part of the proof.

You were surprised by all the Jeter hate? Really?

It wasn't just a bit much ...it was way too much because when you think of the great players of the past 10-15 years, Jeter's name probably doesn't come up. He was a fine player, kept his nose cleaned and played for 1 team his whole career etc. Other than that there's not too much to say about the guy. But playing in NYC he's portrayed in the media as some baseball king. I'll say he's the king of pussy (check out the list of bitches he banged out, seriously).

ESPN = Eastcoast Sports Programming Network

What if Jeter put up the same numbers but played in..let's say SF??? Still won a couple World Series and put up the same personal stats etc.

Would he be treated like the next coming of Jesus? No he wouldn't. He may have a short segment on his retirement but that's it. None of this day after day bullshit on ESPN about Jeter. No parading around ballpark to ballpark getting plaques and other bullshit memorabilia. Just take your bat and glove and go the fuck home, Jeter.

This whole thing was manufactured by mainstream media in the media capitol of the world that is NYC.

Pretty much the same reason why I'm sick and tired of ESPN and can't stand to watch any of it except when actual games are on. Everything about that network is east coast. All of their programs are the same and talk about the same exact issues, but they pretend like it's a different show because there are different sets, and different TV personnel on camera. PTI and Around the Horn are essentially the same shows, just with different people w/ different sets.

List of things that ESPN likes to talk about:

-pro athletes and domestic abuse
-gay athletes
-Dallas Cowboys/Tony Romo/Jerry Jones and his stadium
-New England Patriots/Bill Belichick/Tom Brady
-any member of the Manning family
-Tim Tebow
-any NY team

They will take the above list and drag it out into weeks worth of content...about the same shit over and over and over again. Remember the MNF Chiefs/Pats game. It wasn't about how the Chiefs stomped the shit out of them...it was about Tom Brady/Belichick and whether they're starting to decline as a franchise.

I'm just tired of it all. I only watch ESPN when they televise games I want to watch.

dallaschiefsfan
10-14-2014, 02:05 PM
Too bad MLB network doesn't throw caution to the wind and talk football on a baseball network. It's the best sports network with the best personalities on TV IMO.

WhawhaWhat
10-14-2014, 02:09 PM
Too bad MLB network doesn't throw caution to the wind and talk football on a baseball network. It's the best sports network with the best personalities on TV IMO.

Other than Chris Russo.

cosmo20002
10-14-2014, 03:09 PM
I know national TV is shared, I was talking about the actual revenue sharing (welfare) small markets get. Again I ask: would it be increased in the future if teams know small markets enhance TV ratings and not hurt?

If? Well IF it was true, then maybe. But it isn't, so no.

You think more people in New York are going to tune in for a NY-KC game BECAUSE they are playing the Royals vs a NY-Boston game?