PDA

View Full Version : Royals Let's talk about the San Francisco Giants.

Direckshun
10-16-2014, 09:26 PM
I know nothing about them.

Why Not?
10-16-2014, 09:29 PM
Bumgarner on the road is every much a cyborg as our 3 guys. Buster Posey is a hoss. Fat Panda is good somehow. We have better bullpen( but theirs doesn't suck), better D and speed(obviously). Contrary to what you saw tonight, they do not hit HR. If the Royals play their style, it's a very winnable series. I say Royals in 6

lewdog
10-16-2014, 09:32 PM
Good pitching everywhere. Both teams.

Prison Bitch
10-16-2014, 09:35 PM
That's because you don't watch baseball Dreck

cmh6476
10-16-2014, 09:38 PM
Q

alnorth
10-16-2014, 09:40 PM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>destiny: /calls Royals destiny: you&#39;re it ** destiny: /gets fucked up destiny: /drunk-dials Giants destiny: ur it, bros ** destiny: shit</p>&mdash; Jeff Sullivan (@based_ball) <a href="https://twitter.com/based_ball/status/522950044081598464">October 17, 2014</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

ROFL

CaliforniaChief
10-16-2014, 09:53 PM
David Ross thinks the Royals have the edge in starting pitching, the Giants everywhere else.

alnorth
10-16-2014, 09:54 PM
David Ross thinks the Royals have the edge in starting pitching, the Giants everywhere else.

that seems.... very unlikely.

Sight unseen (I have not looked up their team stats yet), if someone wants to tell me that the Giants have the edge in starting pitching and offense, I'd probably agree that its likely.

But, you have got to give the bullpen, speed, and the defense to the Royals before the analysis even begins.

lewdog
10-16-2014, 09:55 PM

how about defense, SPs and bullpen?

Mav
10-16-2014, 09:57 PM
The giants are a fundamental baseball team.

They don't utilize power. They have Gap hitters everywhere. They play solid baseball, they play rock solid defense, although right now they are using a career journeyman first basemen in Left Field because Michael Morse got hurt, and Pagan had back surgery.

The Giants as mentioned don't run. They don't have a lot of power, but they have guys who are good at putting rallies together.

Their pen is deep.

Not as dominant as the Royals 7th, 8th, and 9th guys, but solid with Romo, Affeldt, J. Lopez, Casilla, Strickland, Lincecum (he has yet to pitch in the playoffs however)

The starters are kinda fickle right now.

Peavy was okay until his last start, Bumgardner is nails on the road, but shaky at home, Hudson is hit or miss, and Vogelsong usually pitches his best in the playoffs, although he didn't pitch well in game four.

It really does defy logic as to how they made the world series minus Matt Cain, and Angel Pagan.

alnorth
10-16-2014, 09:59 PM
The giants are a fundamental baseball team.

They don't utilize power. They have Gap hitters everywhere. They play solid baseball, they play rock solid defense, although right now they are using a career journeyman first basemen in Left Field because Michael Morse got hurt, and Pagan had back surgery.

The Giants as mentioned don't run. They don't have a lot of power, but they have guys who are good at putting rallies together.

Their pen is deep.

Not as dominant as the Royals 7th, 8th, and 9th guys, but solid with Romo, Affeldt, J. Lopez, Casilla, Strickland, Lincecum (he has yet to pitch in the playoffs however)

The starters are kinda fickle right now.

Peavy was okay until his last start, Bumgardner is nails on the road, but shaky at home, Hudson is hit or miss, and Vogelsong usually pitches his best in the playoffs, although he didn't pitch well in game four.

It really does defy logic as to how they made the world series minus Matt Cain, and Angel Pagan.

You might not have power, but we have anti-power. (To be fair, some of that is probably due to our huge ballpark).

Mav
10-16-2014, 10:00 PM
that seems.... very unlikely.

Sight unseen (I have not looked up their team stats yet), if someone wants to tell me that the Giants have the edge in starting pitching and offense, I'd probably agree that its likely.

But, you have got to give the bullpen, speed, and the defense to the Royals before the analysis even begins.

there is no way that the Giants have a better outfield defense.

I don't know exactly how good the Royals infield defense is although I remember escobar being amazing with the brewers with the glove, and I think I heard Moustakas won a gold glove. The giants don't have a gold glove on the infield.

Although as a whole they are very good, I don't think they match the royals.

I don't know of anywhere that the giants are flat out better than the Royals.

Not even starting rotation.

Mav
10-16-2014, 10:01 PM
You might not have power, but we have anti-power. (To be fair, some of that is probably due to our huge ballpark).

our park hurts us too.

Of course, that didn't stop the Cardinals from treating it like it was Coors field.

alnorth
10-16-2014, 10:07 PM

I don't know exactly how good the Royals infield defense is although I remember escobar being amazing with the brewers with the glove, and I think I heard Moustakas won a gold glove. The giants don't have a gold glove on the infield.

I think I might agree that you could have a deeper bullpen, though I haven't looked. I think our #4 and #5 options are at least respectable. Finnegan was HUGE for us in that crazy-ass wild card game, and Frasor was respectable.

Our 3-headed monster is widely heralded by now, but maybe your 4th and 5th-best relievers are better than ours, I dunno. In any case, your best chance is to chase our starter before 5 so that we are forced to dig deep in the pen.

CaliforniaChief
10-16-2014, 10:10 PM
A couple of ex-Royals play for the Giants in prominent roles...Gregor Blanco and Jeremy Affeldt. Affeldt was supposed to be a starter but kept getting blisters from what I can remember.

Mav
10-16-2014, 10:11 PM
I think I might agree that you could have a deeper bullpen, though I haven't looked. I think our #4 and #5 options are at least respectable. Finnegan was HUGE for us in that crazy-ass wild card game, and Frasor was respectable.

Our 3-headed monster is widely heralded by now, but maybe your 4th and 5th-best relievers are better than ours, I dunno. In any case, your best chance is to chase our starter before 5 so that we are forced to dig deep in the pen.

I remember clearly that series in KC this year. I felt like the Royals were as complete a team we played this year outside of Washington.

alnorth
10-16-2014, 10:14 PM
I remember clearly that series in KC this year. I felt like the Royals were as complete a team we played this year outside of Washington.

I went to one of those games. Even had diamond club seats! It was right after the Hunter Pence sign thing blew up, and we had some hilarious ones. A couple of them were from idiots that were mean-spirited which was not what it was supposed to be about, but most of them were appropriately making extremely mild insults. Is that still going on?

CaliforniaChief
10-16-2014, 10:14 PM
The Royals need better from the starting pitching. Shields hasn't pitched well in the postseason yet, and Ventura was very shaky in Baltimore (although he was a beast in Anaheim for ALDS Game 2). Guthrie's probably been our best starter, and Vargas survived 2 outings.

In an ideal world, we'd have Duffy clicking (in which case I'd say we'd win the series fairly definitively), but that's not the case.

Mav
10-16-2014, 10:16 PM
I went to one of those games. Even had diamond club seats! It was right after the Hunter Pence sign thing blew up, and we had some hilarious ones. A couple of them were from idiots that were mean-spirited which was not what it was supposed to be about, but most of them were appropriately making extremely mild insults. Is that still going on?

its died down quite a bit. Still see some. But, with the Joe Buck stl love fest, they didn't spend a lot of time caring about Giants related things.

On CsnBay area Kruk and Kuip would point out the signs all the time.

Kaepernick
10-16-2014, 10:20 PM
http://www.sfweekly.com/imager/giants-baseball-torture-still-yours-to-trademark/b/big/2672415/7775/Giants_baseball_torture_thumb_200x200.jpg

http://weknowmemes.com/generator/uploads/generated/g1372306486710802163.jpg

http://38.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m4jwlyNBVh1r6bxzio1_1280.gif

tk13
10-16-2014, 10:25 PM
Danny Tanner is going to be pulling for the Giants.

Hootie
10-16-2014, 10:25 PM
he's a "Giants" fan and he doesn't even mention Petit

I bet they start Petit over Vogelsong this series. Royals struggle against guys like that.

They should go :

Bumgarner
Hudson
Petit

We can hit Hudson, Vogelson and Peavy. We'll struggle immensely against Bumgarner and Petit.

Hopefully Bochy keeps Petit in the LR role.

'Hamas' Jenkins
10-16-2014, 10:28 PM
He's not going to start Petit. He can use Petit for multiple innings four times in the series (1,3,5,7) if he paces him right.

O.city
10-16-2014, 10:30 PM
he's a "Giants" fan and he doesn't even mention Petit

I bet they start Petit over Vogelsong this series. Royals struggle against guys like that.

They should go :

Bumgarner
Hudson
Petit

We can hit Hudson, Vogelson and Peavy. We'll struggle immensely against Bumgarner and Petit.

Hopefully Bochy keeps Petit in the LR role.

Yeah you can hit those 3 just as the cards did. But those fuckers will shit out gold plated runs magically.

Actually you guys are great defensively, so it will be interesting to see what goes down

CaliforniaChief
10-16-2014, 10:31 PM
So how does the Royals' 25 man roster change going into the World Series?

Perez, Kratz, Hosmer, Butler, Infante, Escobar, Moose, Gordon, Cain, Aoki, Dyson, Colon, Willingham, Gore

Shields, Ventura, Guthrie, Vargas, Duffy, Finnegan, Frasor, Collins, Herrera, Davis, Holland

How does playing 3 W/O a DH change it? Another hitter, 1 less pitcher? Help me.

Hootie
10-16-2014, 10:31 PM
well then he's stupid

I think he's their 2nd best starter

cosmo20002
10-16-2014, 10:34 PM

Hosmer won a GG. Moose isn't that great overall. Seems to me he has a good glove but the arm is a bit wild.

Hammock Parties
10-16-2014, 10:35 PM
Looks like they have a size advantage.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B0HusTmCcAAt23D.jpg:large

cmh6476
10-16-2014, 10:35 PM
Yeah I'm already tired of Mavericks Ace

cmh6476
10-16-2014, 10:36 PM
Kaepernick can fock off too

KChiefs1
SF Giants were the 2nd WC.

cosmo20002

Alex Gordon hit a HR on Alex Gordon bobblehead day!

Coach
10-16-2014, 10:49 PM
Hosmer won a GG. Moose isn't that great overall. Seems to me he has a good glove but the arm is a bit wild.

He's gotten a bit better in the arm department, at least it's improved.

I mean, I was worried on the last out where the ball was hit to him, for the last out, where he could have completely fucked it up, throwing it to the stands, or shorthopping it.

Yet, it was a strike right in the middle to Hosmer to end it.

That's a lot of pressure.

SPATCH
10-16-2014, 11:00 PM
He's gotten a bit better in the arm department, at least it's improved.

I mean, I was worried on the last out where the ball was hit to him, for the last out, where he could have completely ****ed it up, throwing it to the stands, or shorthopping it.

Yet, it was a strike right in the middle to Hosmer to end it.

That's a lot of pressure.

Moose had a shaky month in september defensively, but that's it. Seemed like it was just a case of the yips.

He has a cannon for an arm and has been a plus defender at 3B since the moment he arrived in the bigs.

Kaepernick
10-16-2014, 11:01 PM
SF Giants were the 2nd WC.

The bottom seed.

Coach
10-16-2014, 11:04 PM
Moose had a shaky month in september defensively, but that's it. Seemed like it was just a case of the yips.

He has a cannon for an arm and has been a plus defender at 3B since the moment he arrived in the bigs.

It wasn't just Moose who had a shaky month, the whole defense kind of had a shaky month in general as well. Escobar fumbling the ball around, Gordon missing a routine catch.

But when the playoffs arrived, man, Moose's glove and his arm was showing the plus plus.

Eleazar
10-16-2014, 11:08 PM
http://cdn.funcheap.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/SF-Giants-LGBT-Night-Logo-20111.jpg

Kaepernick
10-17-2014, 12:35 AM
http://cdn.funcheap.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/SF-Giants-LGBT-Night-Logo-20111.jpg

http://cdn1.sbnation.com/imported_assets/1850533/image.png

Mav
10-17-2014, 01:08 AM
It's understandable. I'm in the let's talk about the giants thread talking about the giants and Royals being objective and level headed. I'm an awful person.

cmh6476
10-17-2014, 07:31 AM
Yeah but we didn't care about the A's when we beat them, we didn't care about the Angels when we beat them, we didn't care about the Orioles when we beat them, and we sure as fock don't care about Panda, Hunter Pence and his dumbass signs, Bumgarner or anyone else that plays for that team. And you haven't stopped running your mouth since 10:54 pm last night.

Gonzo
10-17-2014, 07:40 AM
I think the royals are gonna have some problems with these assholes but if they continue to play like they have, royals in 6.

Simply Red
10-17-2014, 07:46 AM
how about defense, SPs and bullpen?

Yeah that's a pretty shitty breakdown - that guy.

Archie F. Swin
10-17-2014, 07:46 AM
I want Gordo, Hos and Moose to completely rape that short porch in right at AT&T Park. In true San Fran tradition, there should be dongs everywhere!!!!

ChiTown
10-17-2014, 07:53 AM

:LOL:

David Ross probably knows better this time around.

Eleazar
10-17-2014, 07:55 AM
What's Barry Bonds doing these days? Besides growing moobs and popping his backne of course

duncan_idaho
10-17-2014, 07:55 AM
What I know about the Giants:

They're a better team than the St. Louis Cardinals and a much more difficult matchup, in my opinion, for the Royals.

The lineup is a lot better than St. Louis, though - to be honest - it probably isn't quite as scary a lineup as the Orioles' was coming off their brutalizing of the Tigers. And it's probably not better on paper than the Angels.

I do think San Fran's offense is full of tough guys who grind at-bats, though. Buster Posey has been an amazingly effective postseason player throughout his career. Sandoval and Pence are also dangerous. Sandoval will be a key factor for the Royals... because he's a switch hitter who is more dangerous from the left side of the plate, it's a much more balanced lineup than we saw with Baltimore. Sandoval also has major postseason history.

One thing that could help KC is that the Giants don't have the extreme focus the O's had on controlling the running game. Their pitchers are a little slower to the plate, and they don't have anyone who throws as well as Caleb Joseph. So we could see that re-emerge as a factor.

I'd give the Royals the edge in defense, bullpen and call starting pitching basically a wash. Bumgarner is the best starter in the series, but I think the Royals have the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th best starters in the series (though one of those guys is sitting in the bullpen and didn't pitch in the ALCS).

I think it's going to be a close-fought, tooth and nail series... again. But I have faith the Royals pull it out.

Strongside
10-17-2014, 07:56 AM
Seeing as we've basically just run through the 3 best teams in the American League with a chainsaw, and in quick succession, I'm not overly worried about what the NL has to offer.

ChiTown
10-17-2014, 08:03 AM
Look at all the butt-hurt Giants fans comments from this article. Giants in 4 or 5....LMAO

http://m.espn.go.com/mlb/story?storyId=11715035&src=desktop&ex_cid=null

Eleazar
10-17-2014, 08:07 AM
Seeing as we've basically just run through the 3 best teams in the American League with a chainsaw, and in quick succession, I'm not overly worried about what the NL has to offer.

This team seems to defy every sort of guess as to what "should" happen, so I've no clue what to expect.

Archie F. Swin
10-17-2014, 08:09 AM
I believe we will see the true value of Ned Yost during the road games.

DanT
10-17-2014, 08:28 AM
The Giants have a $148 million payroll this year, bigger than the Angels ($127 million), Orioles ($101 million) or A's ($75 million). The Royals payroll is $91 million.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/team/salaries/_/name/sf/san-francisco-giants

P.S. The Tigers is $161 million, and the Cardinals is $107.5 million.

DRU
10-17-2014, 08:31 AM

That's exactly the type of attitude I hope the Royals do not have.

DanT
10-17-2014, 08:38 AM
I know nothing about them.

The Giants are my wife's favorite team and they are my favorite National League team, but the Royals are my live-and-die-for team. We watch both team regularly. (I have MLB.tv.)

As for the Giants, very likable players; excellent manager; MVP-caliber catcher; some shakiness in the bullpen; starters expect themselves to do well; rotation led by a great soft-tossing lefty ace. Athletic outfielders, but not as good as the Royals on defense. They have a surprisingly agile third baseman who is a fan favorite because of his incredible ability to hit balls anywhere in the vicinity of the home plate area.

The Royals swept them in August in KC, including a complete-game shutout by James Shields. We also beat their ace that series.

If I weren't a KC sports fan who expected to be disappointed, I would give the Royals the edge in this series.

Earlier this season, the Giants were playing the best baseball in the Majors. But that was months ago. The Royals are playing the best right now.

Still, in my core I am a KC sports fan. I wasn't all that surprised when we blew that 28-point lead to the Colts in the playoffs.

DanT
10-17-2014, 08:42 AM
I get as much enjoyment from watching Pablo Sandoval at the plate as I did from watching Terrell Davis run and from watching Tony Boselli block. Just incredible athletes that do unbelievable stuff that is fun to see.

MahiMike
10-17-2014, 08:45 AM

They said the same thing about the Royals vs Orioles.

DanT
10-17-2014, 09:23 AM
Here's the Team WAR (wins above replacement) breakdown from FanGraphs:

http://www.fangraphs.com/depthcharts.aspx?position=Team

Position KC SF edge (comment)
C 4.4 6.3 SF +1.9 (Posey is awesome)
1B 2.6 3.6 SF +1.2 (But, Hosmer might be coming into his own)
2B 2.2 1.9 KC +0.3
SS 2.2 2.1 KC +0.1
3B 3.4 3.6 SF +0.2 (But both Sandoval and Moustakas could carry teams)
LF 4.4 0.9 KC +3.5 (Gordon is awesome)
CF 3.5 2.2 KC +1.3 (Lo Cain is awesome)
RF 2.4 3.1 SF +1.3 (Hunter Pence is awesome)
DH 1.6 0.8 KC +0.8
SP 10.3 9.2 KC +1.1 (But SF Ace is 5.0 vs. KC Ace's 4.6)
RP 5.0 0.9 KC +4.1 (KC's bullpen is historic in its awesomeness)

Overall, KC is 42.0 and SF is 34.5

Of course, this is for the full season and WAR doesn't capture everything. Still, Royals fans should be hopeful that we will hang tough against the Giants' classy organization.

Fairplay
10-17-2014, 09:24 AM
Bumgarner on the road is every much a cyborg as our 3 guys. Buster Posey is a hoss. Fat Panda is good somehow. We have better bullpen( but theirs doesn't suck), better D and speed(obviously). Contrary to what you saw tonight, they do not hit HR. If the Royals play their style, it's a very winnable series. I say Royals in 6

What is a hoss?

CaliforniaChief
10-17-2014, 09:26 AM
The David Ross thing is a joke, people. Probably a lame one.

DanT
10-17-2014, 09:28 AM
What is a hoss?

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Hoss

one who is a beast that can basically do anything he wants. He is usually loved by all and a ladies man. He could break anyone or anything in half. Hoss is a compliment.
Man, that Stefan is a hoss. He could kill a freshman with one stare down.

Buster Posey is a hoss. Great, great player.

Fairplay
10-17-2014, 09:30 AM
A man's man then, I will have to inject the word 'hoss' in a conversation sometime soon.

banyon
10-17-2014, 09:47 AM
Seems like our luck has to run out at some point. I hope not, but the Giants have been very good in the post season the last several years, even with anemic offenses.

BIG_DADDY
10-17-2014, 09:52 AM
Wow, this already has more posts than mine did over the entire season 2 years ago. Cool.

DanT
10-17-2014, 09:53 AM
In FanGraphs's latest projections, the Royals are favored over the Giants, 57.9% versus 42.1%.

http://www.fangraphs.com/coolstandings.aspx

Mav
10-17-2014, 10:25 AM
Yeah but we didn't care about the A's when we beat them, we didn't care about the Angels when we beat them, we didn't care about the Orioles when we beat them, and we sure as fock don't care about Panda, Hunter Pence and his dumbass signs, Bumgarner or anyone else that plays for that team. And you haven't stopped running your mouth since 10:54 pm last night.
Again. A giants fan shedding light about the giants in the giants thread....

Shocking.....

BIG_DADDY
10-17-2014, 10:33 AM
The Giants have a $148 million payroll this year, bigger than the Angels ($127 million), Orioles ($101 million) or A's ($75 million). The Royals payroll is $91 million.

They have a ton wrapped up in players who are not even playing. 47 million between Cain, Lincecum and Pagan alone.

Mav
10-17-2014, 05:42 PM
Well that's awesome. I'm not tired of you. Although I don't know who you are. But you are easily annoyed...

I like that!

Toadkiller
10-17-2014, 05:47 PM
Anyone else going to the games in San Fran. I have tickets for the 3rd, 4th and 5th games, Ill be in VR 315.

Mav
10-17-2014, 05:49 PM
Anyone else going to the games in San Fran. I have tickets for the 3rd, 4th and 5th games, Ill be in VR 315.
Amazing! Enjoy.

Toadkiller
10-17-2014, 05:52 PM
Thanks it should be great. Never been to that park. Flying down from Portland. Also ave tickets to games 6 and 7 and waiting to buy a flight till I see how this all plays out a bit.

Kaepernick
10-17-2014, 06:56 PM

The Giants have the 7th highest payroll in baseball. Not that it is anywhere close to the Dodgers or Yankees, but still. They have made a heavy investment in winning the World Series. At the same time, $40 million of their pitching is not pitching.

If you guys can do it with Moneyball, more power to you.

tredadda
10-17-2014, 07:22 PM

That would be (at least for this series) Finnegan and Duffy. Not sure they are a deeper bullpen than us. I see Duffy being a slightly better version of Petit.

Mav
10-17-2014, 08:39 PM
That would be (at least for this series) Finnegan and Duffy. Not sure they are a deeper bullpen than us. I see Duffy being a slightly better version of Petit.
I think the giants have more depth because they have multiple lefties. But the quality of the Royals is ridiculous.