PDA

View Full Version : Football Late Night Bullshit: Favorite NFL TV themes?

RealSNR
10-16-2014, 10:57 PM
I was taking a shit earlier tonight when I got to thinking about the greatest movie ever fucking made (Gettysburg) and its film score. I really like Randy Edelman, but he has a tendency to get lazy and only write two or three excellent themes that he repeats and varies through out the entire movie.

Then I got to thinking about how a bunch of his stuff sounds the same. Gettysburg sounds like Angels in the Outfield, which sounds like a more majestic version of Down Periscope. Then it hit me. The old mid-90s NFL theme on NBC. That was classic Edelman. I looked it up to be sure, and holy fuck, I was right.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/PTLftXdNVZE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

This thing kicks unbelievable amounts of ass. Why does football music have to be this hulked up and largely cliched bullshit that sounds like Ray Lewis got a music composition degree? The current CBS theme sucks dick. The jacked up electric rock version of the current John Williams' NBC Sunday Night Football theme is just as stupid.

I'm not saying your football themes belong in concert halls. I'm not saying that all. I'm saying they need an element of character that goes beyond thinking "URGH HARDCORE!" and instead taps into the heroic nature of spirited competition. Even though the style is way in the past, this CBS theme from the 80s captures that pretty well.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/FKFUs1ZvGtg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Think more NBA on NBC than just finding the thing with the most minor key sonorities that you can find. Yes, the NFL on FOX theme is legendary, but it was only legendary because it stood out from itself. Since CBS has tried to replicate its success, it's just fallen short of what people are REALLY looking for in their football network theme music.

What do you guys think? Old farts, if you remember anything that had you humming along to the music blaring out of your black-and-white television sets before football games, tell us about it. That CBS theme from the 80s is the furthest back thing I remember.

Direckshun
10-16-2014, 10:59 PM
I was taking a shit earlier tonight when I got to thinking about the greatest movie ever ****ing made (Gettysburg)

BAYONEEEEEEEETS

Discuss Thrower
10-16-2014, 11:01 PM
Really?

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/MbU4fPYRvcY?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Simply Red
10-16-2014, 11:03 PM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/AR8D2yqgQ1U?list=RDyyYhZ9HH8cI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

'Hamas' Jenkins
This only kind of applies. It was one of the songs they played on Primetime.

Love this shit:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/8yDN9z6P7LA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Direckshun
I actually know next to nothing about the football musics of today. I typically watch the games with company and/or on DVR so I'm either talking over it or flat not paying attention.

When I was a young bloke, I remember fondly the John Tesh NBA on NBC music.

Now THAT was some kickassery in a sports music theme.

RealSNR
10-16-2014, 11:05 PM
I actually know next to nothing about the football musics of today. I typically watch the games with company and/or on DVR so I'm either talking over it or flat not paying attention.

You're just the worst kind of person.

a pp roach
10-16-2014, 11:05 PM
I like the current song, but this one is still good.

DVWV6T76GEI

Also the NFL primetime songs > all

pGIa1wmjMnY

fuck those teams, but those songs are awesome.

Simply Red
10-16-2014, 11:06 PM

When I was a young bloke, I remember fondly the John Tesh NBA on NBC music.

Now THAT was some kickassery in a sports music theme.

How do you feel about Spandau Ballet?

Discuss Thrower
10-16-2014, 11:06 PM
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/0Pnl1ulaG5k?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

RealSNR
10-16-2014, 11:10 PM
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/0Pnl1ulaG5k?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Right. This is the king of all sports themes.

There's legitimate fan demand out there that NBC somehow works out a deal with the NBA to earn back broadcasting rights JUST so this theme will come back to TV.

That's how good it is.

Direckshun
10-16-2014, 11:12 PM
I enjoy most of the NFL Films theme music.

Especially that one piece that opens with a bassoon. I don't know how you make a bassoon sound badass but I'll be damned if it isn't the best piece they put out.

Hammock Parties
10-16-2014, 11:13 PM
I always loved that old theme.

You sir, are a gentleman and a scholar.

RealSNR
10-16-2014, 11:14 PM

Especially that one piece that opens with a bassoon. I don't know how you make a bassoon sound badass but I'll be damned if it isn't the best piece they put out.

That's the Rite of Spring, you fucking jackass

Hammock Parties
10-16-2014, 11:15 PM

I have their 10-disc set of music. It's stupendous.

http://www.amazon.com/Autumn-Thunder-Years-Films-Music/dp/B0002VERQA

Hammock Parties
10-16-2014, 11:16 PM
This is my favorite NFL films track. Starts out grand, but I really like the soft part as it builds towards crescendo.

<iframe width="480" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/BpbM8djgzwM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

10-16-2014, 11:18 PM
Uhhh, the original MNF theme from ABC. /thread

Hammock Parties
10-16-2014, 11:18 PM
This is one of the most beautiful things I've ever heard.

<iframe width="480" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/40Su9Lq4ixk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Discuss Thrower
10-16-2014, 11:22 PM

There's legitimate fan demand out there that NBC somehow works out a deal with the NBA to earn back broadcasting rights JUST so this theme will come back to TV.

That's how good it is.

Monday Night Football needs to be on ABC. I guess the AFC gets stuck on CBS whilst the NFC remains with FOX. NBC gets the rights to Sunday Nights and Thursday Nights. Though since I'm in charge I've mandated that teams can only play on TNF following a bye-week seeing as each team gets two in the regular season now (one between Weeks 3 and 8: another from Weeks 9 to 14)

The NBA can be split between TNT, ESPN/ABC and NBC. NBC gets at least one game on Christmas and get a flexed match-up for Sunday night games in regular season. Then for the postseason NBC and ABC rotate conference tournaments and finals.

TBS can fuck RIGHT off of MLB postseason coverage... Apparently FOX gets the NL, so AL to ESPN with an option for ABC to pick up games for regional coverage.

NHL on FOX, FS1, NHL Net.

Why Not?
10-16-2014, 11:24 PM
Wish I knew anything about technology like you guys, I would post my two favorite NFL Primetime songs. Best I can do is tell you that if you google NFL Primtime music, it's the first two. They still use the first one on the Blitz on Sunday nights.

For Themes you gotta go NFL on Fox is 1 and CBS college football is 2

Mojo Jojo
10-16-2014, 11:29 PM
Growing up this always meant football...
<iframe width="480" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/lMnQT8hKQvQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

cdcox
10-16-2014, 11:33 PM
NFL films knows music.

<iframe width="854" height="510" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/m9QNCnQh9c0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Direckshun
10-16-2014, 11:36 PM
Somebody needs to YouTube "This Is Our Land" by Epic Score.

I saw that in a highlight film for awesome WR receptions, and got chills. I'm on an iPhone right now.

tk13
10-16-2014, 11:40 PM
I was going to say NBA on NBC is the standard, everything else is gunning for 2nd. But SNR already reposted it.

BigMeatballDave
10-16-2014, 11:40 PM

That's how good it is.I love it. John Tesh wrote it.

Direckshun
10-16-2014, 11:41 PM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/swy135bgZXM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Boom.

Pitt Gorilla
10-16-2014, 11:48 PM
I like the current song, but this one is still good.

DVWV6T76GEI

Also the NFL primetime songs > all

pGIa1wmjMnY

fuck those teams, but those songs are awesome.NFL on CBS was the one I was going to search for. One of my absolute favorites.

tk13
10-16-2014, 11:50 PM
I love it. John Tesh wrote it.

Probably the greatest songsmith of our time.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/hSHXt7c73iw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Pitt Gorilla
10-16-2014, 11:55 PM
Probably the greatest songsmith of our time.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/hSHXt7c73iw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>LOVE the song, but that violin guy needs his ass kicked.

Silock
10-17-2014, 12:13 AM
Since someone posted Roundball Rock, I submit this:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/dhC5-uIJJWQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Not quite as good, but it's right up there.

MMXcalibur
10-17-2014, 12:21 AM
If we're allowed to break the NFL boundaries, then this is without question the best:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/2BuSLqUD65I" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

And this always brings back memories of watching Saturday afternoon Penguins games with my Dad:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/IRvnjI6ftMk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Hoover
10-17-2014, 12:29 AM
You know John Tesh writes all this shit.

Kaepernick
10-17-2014, 12:33 AM
What a bunch of patchy twaddle. :p

Hoover
10-17-2014, 12:34 AM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/u-cSFPglc90" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Rams Fan
10-17-2014, 12:54 AM
If we're allowed to break the NFL boundaries, then this is without question the best:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/2BuSLqUD65I" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

And this always brings back memories of watching Saturday afternoon Penguins games with my Dad:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/IRvnjI6ftMk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/oIlH72xcRGM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

In terms of NFL themes, the NBC theme of the 90s tops them all.

Direckshun
10-17-2014, 12:55 AM
I love NBC's Olympics theme, too.

NBC has had a ton of good anthems.

Hammock Parties
10-17-2014, 12:55 AM
I also like anything by Bill Conti.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/9xc7u1KnCec" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Hammock Parties
10-17-2014, 12:56 AM
But seriously. This is so magical. If the Royals win the World Series...well...you know what I'm going to do. :crybaby::crybaby::crybaby::crybaby:

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/OpFkCSx5_q0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Rams Fan
10-17-2014, 12:59 AM
But seriously. This is so magical. If the Royals win the World Series...well...you know what I'm going to do. :crybaby::crybaby::crybaby::crybaby:

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/OpFkCSx5_q0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

That and the theme to Remember the Titans gives me chills.

Hammock Parties
10-17-2014, 01:00 AM
Ah this is the good shit. Makes you feel 11 years old again.

<iframe width="480" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/cdKP01nc-SA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Direckshun
10-17-2014, 01:39 AM
"Float it!"

Hammock Parties
10-17-2014, 01:50 AM
"Float it!"

oh my god

I can watch that scene because that actress looks just like my mom used to when I was a kid.

:crybaby:

lcarus
10-17-2014, 02:02 AM

That's how good it is.

I'm one of those fans demanding that. Thats how badass that theme is. So nostalgic. The 90s NBA kicked so much ass.

Crush
10-17-2014, 05:28 AM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/VOf-zef2MKU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

RealSNR
10-17-2014, 10:58 AM

That's what Randy Edelman do.

This is the most amazing opening credit segment in movie history.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/VBzL575cMjI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Dayze
10-17-2014, 11:30 AM
these are all so awesome.

ESPN's music sucks ass now. now, each week, there is some free-verse style / spoken word bullshit played each week with 'lyrics' adapted to all the stupid storylines.

hearing the old ESPN NFL Primtime music reminds me of how far they have fallen. I watched that show religiously. now the show, music, and everything about ESPN sucks so much ass.

I think, more than the stupid rule changes, that the broadcast of NFL games is what has soured me. Music, commentary, 'experts' on TV, camera angles all over the field / on the field etc. I feel like I'm watching a boxing or wrestling event.

Why Not?
10-17-2014, 01:18 PM
these are all so awesome.

ESPN's music sucks ass now. now, each week, there is some free-verse style / spoken word bullshit played each week with 'lyrics' adapted to all the stupid storylines.

hearing the old ESPN NFL Primtime music reminds me of how far they have fallen. I watched that show religiously. now the show, music, and everything about ESPN sucks so much ass.

I think, more than the stupid rule changes, that the broadcast of NFL games is what has soured me. Music, commentary, 'experts' on TV, camera angles all over the field / on the field etc. I feel like I'm watching a boxing or wrestling event.

Def. agree about Primetime. That show was iconic and the music was a big part of that. I still watch the shell of its former self, The Blitz, late Sunday nights but it's nowhere near as good. Say what you want about Berman, but he was awesome in the Primetime years. Now, he sounds like he feels about himself the same way most people feel about him.

Crying Ramtard
10-18-2014, 03:21 AM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/AR8D2yqgQ1U?list=RDyyYhZ9HH8cI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

9kp3N3wQPO0

Crying Ramtard
10-18-2014, 02:07 PM
Growing up this always meant football...
<iframe width="480" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/lMnQT8hKQvQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

beautiful 70s cheesiness