PDA

View Full Version : Food and Drink Russia declares war on McDonalds

Hammock Parties
10-17-2014, 04:53 PM
Wat

http://www.vox.com/2014/10/17/6989397/russia-mcdonalds-putin-ukraine-yolo

http://cdn3.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_image/image/42061748/453894108.0.0_standard_755.0.jpg

The Ukraine crisis may have settled into a phony truce, but the still-simmering conflict between Russia and the West has opened along a new front: McDonald's restaurants.

The Russian government appears to be waging a stealth campaign against the world's most famous fast food franchise, closing branches en masse, in what appears to be retaliation against the United States over its support of Ukraine's government in the ongoing conflict there.

The Russian site Yopolis sifted through news reports to find each example of a Russian McDonald's shuttering. Each dot represents a McDonald's with a closure or potential closure: the yellow dots show McDonald's closed for upgrades or renovations; legal violations have been reported at orange dot McDonald's; and at least one McDonald's has been shut down at the red dots. The number over the dot indicates the number of branches affected:

That's a lot of McDonald's. Now, surely at least some of these must be totally unrelated to politics — the branches shuttered for maintenance, for instance. But there's an awful lot of orange and red on that map.

The most famous such shuttered McDonald's is in Pushkin Square in Moscow. It was the first McDonald's to open in Russia after the fall of the Soviet Union. According to the New York Times, it was the world's busiest McDonald's for many years. It was also one of the first to be shut down in the current spate of McDonald's closings.

Ostensibly, these McDonald's are being closed for health reasons. But analysts are skeptical.

"Russia has a tendency to ban foreign products, particularly food, for political reasons," National Journal's Marina Koren writes. The closures are designed, she says, "to send a message to the US and the Russians they may be trying to reach: The West is not welcome here." Starting with the Pushkin Square Mickey D's made that point, especially to Russians who remember the location's symbolic importance as a mark of the Cold War's end and of America's victory.

In purely economic terms, the war on McDonald's is, like so much of Russia's recent lashing out at the West, mostly self-defeating. There are give-or-take 437 McDonald's in Russia and they purchase about 85 percent of their supplies from Russian companies. So the anti-McDonald's campaign is, in a way, a microcosm of Putin's entire approach to the Ukraine crisis: damn the economic costs, full speed ahead on aggressive nationalist symbolic gestures.

a pp roach
10-17-2014, 04:55 PM
:clap:

bout time.

Why Not?
10-17-2014, 04:58 PM
I'm part Russian and I've been at war with McDonald's for years! Glad to see the motherland following suit.

Note: I don't really consider Russia the motherland. My grandma was born there and lived there literally 2 months.

Ming the Merciless
10-17-2014, 05:00 PM
fuck em

I guess we will close all the russian borscht retaurants to retaliate?

Sweet Daddy Hate
10-17-2014, 06:59 PM
fuck em

I guess we will close all the russian borscht retaurants to retaliate?

LMAO

Rain Man
10-17-2014, 07:02 PM
I'm part Russian and I've been at war with McDonald's for years! Glad to see the motherland following suit.

Note: I don't really consider Russia the motherland. My grandma was born there and lived there literally 2 months.

Get out of the Ukraine, you commie.

Hydrae
10-17-2014, 07:07 PM
So this is being done thinking it hurts the US? Seems to me that it hurts the people of Russia who were enjoying the food more than anything else. Gotta wonder how many jobs were lost with this move also.

Why Not?
10-17-2014, 07:15 PM
Get out of the Ukraine, you commie.

Lol

listopencil
10-17-2014, 07:55 PM
McDonald's is having serious problems across the board. Less and less people want their shitty food:

http://online.wsj.com/articles/mcdonalds-faces-millennial-challenge-1408928743
<script status="whitelisted" id="yarip-default-script" type="text/javascript">var yarip = { $: function(xpath) { var arr = []; var xr = document.evaluate(xpath, document, null, XPathResult.ORDERED_NODE_SNAPSHOT_TYPE, null); if (xr) for (var i = 0; i < xr.snapshotLength; i++) { var e = xr.snapshotItem(i); if (e && (e.nodeType !== 1 || !/^yarip-/.test(e.id))) { arr.push(e); } } return arr; }, run: function(fun, xpath) { var arr = this.$(xpath); if (arr.length > 0) fun.call(this, arr); } }</script><script status="whitelisted" id="yarip-element-script_www-chiefsplanet-com_0" type="text/javascript">yarip.run(function (array) { for (var i = 0; i < array.length; i++) { var element = array[i]; console.debug("Found element:", element); } }, "/html/body/div/div[@class='page']/div/div[1]"); </script>

10-17-2014, 08:23 PM
Maybe mcDonalds should start using real meat again.

Simply Red
10-17-2014, 08:34 PM
Russians eat amazingly bland and healthy. It's the Vodka that gets them.

Simply Red
10-17-2014, 08:34 PM
Maybe mcDonalds should start using real meat again.

http://i.imgur.com/yykMNqq.jpg

Easy 6
10-17-2014, 10:02 PM
Who really wants anything to do with Vlad outside of commie China?

Thats right, nobody.

Threatening the US with nuclear "options"... the man has lost his mind, it wouldnt surprise me if his own people took him out.

Direckshun
10-18-2014, 05:30 AM
If somebody gave me the choice of wiping Putin from the face of the earth or McDonald's, I have no idea who I'd pick.

Pasta Little Brioni
10-18-2014, 08:13 AM
A good will gesture towards the Russian people. Every time I make the mistake and grab something from there I feel like ass the rest of the day.