PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs This team's toughness.

Direckshun
10-20-2014, 01:26 AM
I'm sorry but I need to single out the incredible effort we've seen this year.

We've seen a terrible offseason wracked by having half the roster depart.

We've seen a rash of terrible injuries, one of which took away the heart of our defense in Derrick Johnson, and even one game where we lost the heart of our offense in Jamaal Charles.

We've seen a terrible preseason where all the players we had such high hopes for -- Fisher, Ford, Gaines, Harris, etc -- looked so freaking terrible.

We patched our offensive line together with stitches.

We re-manned our entire ILB corps.

We took all these chances, and they all came back negative from that first terrible game at home against some team called the Titans.

Everything looked awful, and the next week we had to go to Denver for a certain loss.

This team absolutely never quit. They never even came CLOSE to quitting. They have played HARDER since losing them.

Since that Tennessee game where we lost everybody, we've gone 3-2 against the toughest part of a tough schedule, and almost won both the games we lost.

Backups have played. Backups of backups have played.

Guys we picked up off the street have played.

We picked up a 4'5" soccer player from Brazil, who's played and contributed. We picked up a 6'7" basketball player from Milwaukee, who's played and contributed.

We overpaid up a franchise QB that people criticize as ball-less and overpaid a stud WR that people criticize as brainless. And we're 3-2 through the toughest stretch of a tough season, with 6 of our remaining 10 games at home.

This is a very likeable team, that is comfortable not giving a shit about the odds.

They give a shit about one thing, and that's winning the next snap.

They may not be Super Bowl contenders, but they are a great foundation for one.

Go Chiefs.

TimBone
10-20-2014, 01:30 AM
Well, you're making them seem as though they're walking on water, but I agree with a lot of the assessement.

Direckshun
10-20-2014, 01:34 AM
Well, you're making them seem as though they're walking on water, but I agree with a lot of the assessement.

We had the ingredients for a total letdown by this team.

They've responded every single game since the opener.

TimBone
10-20-2014, 01:44 AM

I agree with that. It's been impressive. There still some bone headed stuff going on though.

I didn't get to watch the game today, had to listen on the radio.

Can you clue me in on to what was going on with the mismanagement of the play clock at the end of the third quarter?

Also, I saw you mention in the Fleming thread that the holding and PI calls against him were bogus. Is that legitimate? Did he look decent?

It seemed early on(listening of course) that our secondary was going to be torched all day by Rivers. It seemed he was either completing passes or the secondary was committing penalties to keep up. It had me worried. Glad they pulled through.

I do like that Cooper was benched. I don't know that Fleming is the long term guy, but I like that there is accountability going on here. Last year(and especially in previous regimes) it seemed as though the same 22 guys trotted out on the field every week regardless of performance.

OldSchool
10-20-2014, 02:05 AM
Fleming isn't a long term answer. With any luck, that will be Gaines.

TimBone
10-20-2014, 02:16 AM

I was honestly surprised to find all the Gaines praise when I hit CP tonight. I only heard his name called once or twice today, and one of them was his big pass deflection at the end. Of course, if he played a good amount of snaps today and I didn't hear his name mentioned a whole lot, that means he was doing well.

Hammock Parties
10-20-2014, 02:26 AM
http://memecrunch.com/meme/PT6F/hope-it-is-the-quintessential-human-delusion-simultaneously-the-source-of-your-greatest-strength-and-your-greatest-weakness-the-architect-of-the-matrix/image.jpg

Direckshun
10-20-2014, 02:28 AM
Can you clue me in on to what was going on with the mismanagement of the play clock at the end of the third quarter?

I don't even. lol

Andy Reid called a timeout with ten seconds left in the quarter. Everybody assumes it was because he preferred the field goal to be kicked with the wind rather than against it, but it was dumb clock management, period.

Also, I saw you mention in the Fleming thread that the holding and PI calls against him were bogus. Is that legitimate? Did he look decent?

I'm 1 for 2 on those penalties. One involved him clearly hooking a receiver. It was not severe, but it was illegal. Another was shoulder-to-shoulder coverage where both players had their hands on each other, again nothing severe. It did not remotely look like a penalty to me.

Honestly, he looked below average. Not terrible, but Rivers completed nearly every pass thrown to Fleming. Of course, Rivers is also a Top Three QB in the NFL right now, but that's still saying something.

It seemed early on(listening of course) that our secondary was going to be torched all day by Rivers. It seemed he was either completing passes or the secondary was committing penalties to keep up. It had me worried. Glad they pulled through.

I do like that Cooper was benched. I don't know that Fleming is the long term guy, but I like that there is accountability going on here. Last year(and especially in previous regimes) it seemed as though the same 22 guys trotted out on the field every week regardless of performance.

The coaches have been near-brilliant with some of that stuff. They've done a great job benching people, and a great job bringing struggling players along.

They've managed Santos very well up to this point after that disasterous first week. They've brought along Fisher gradually. They've kept Stephenson on the sidelines because Harris is playing adequately at RT.

Direckshun
10-20-2014, 02:30 AM

I was honestly surprised to find all the Gaines praise when I hit CP tonight. I only heard his name called once or twice today, and one of them was his big pass deflection at the end. Of course, if he played a good amount of snaps today and I didn't hear his name mentioned a whole lot, that means he was doing well.

If Cooper can't get his shit together, they should take a long look at putting Gaines in there against one of our weaker opponents like the Jets or the Fade.

a pp roach
10-20-2014, 02:37 AM
The O-line kinda is hit or miss, but it seems like the running game is solid, Smith makes pretty good decisions most of the time, and we know he's mobile. WR's stepped up today, minus the obvious drop. There's Kelce. The defense..pretty good overall, Gaines - huge day for him. DAT with a great return and the kicker stepped in and delivered.

Direckshun
10-20-2014, 02:40 AM
Our guards aren't getting the job done in pass pro, but everything else is average or above average right now.

KCUnited
10-20-2014, 05:32 AM
We're owning the league in toughness.

Rudy tossed tigger's salad
10-20-2014, 05:42 AM
I remember thinking the same about the 2007 chiefs after a 4-3 start.

Sandy Vagina
10-20-2014, 06:19 AM

This is a very likeable team, that is comfortable not giving a shit about the odds.

Go Chiefs.

Great post. I'm not even worrying about whether they are playoff or SB bound. I find it more enjoyable to take one game at a time.

I love the fight in this team. Missing DJ and Berry has been dreadful, but somehow, the defense is doing just enough to give the team a chance each week. The offense lacks playmakers at WR and a good OL, but somehow, are doing just enough to give the team a chance each week.

Some feel like if KC doesn't win it all every year, then what's the point? don't get your hopes up for nothing. To each, their own... but for me, it feels better to compete hard each week and fight for every win. You can enjoy that while also not generating lots of false hope. Just take it as it comes.

These wins FEEL GOOD when they happen... and can last throughout the week. Whatever happens later, happens later... but it's fun to feel good now.

Go Chiefs indeed! :clap:

Coogs
10-20-2014, 06:27 AM
Great post. I'm not even worrying about whether they are playoff or SB bound. I find it more enjoyable to take one game at a time.

I love the fight in this team. Missing DJ and Berry has been dreadful, but somehow, the defense is doing just enough to give the team a chance each week. The offense lacks playmakers at WR and a good OL, but somehow, are doing just enough to give the team a chance each week.

Some feel like if KC doesn't win it all every year, then what's the point? don't get your hopes up for nothing. To each, their own... but for me, it feels better to compete hard each week and fight for every win. You can enjoy that while also not generating lots of false hope. Just take it as it comes.

These wins FEEL GOOD when they happen... and can last throughout the week. Whatever happens later, happens later... but it's fun to feel good now.

Go Chiefs indeed! :clap:

This. All day long!

Coogs
10-20-2014, 07:42 AM
I agree with that. It's been impressive. There still some bone headed stuff going on though.

I didn't get to watch the game today, had to listen on the radio.

3rd and 5 on the Bolts 15. Huge play in the game. Run the play clock down to 1 second. Take a timeout and discuss what play we want to run.

How in the world is that mismanagement of the play clock?

Sandy Vagina
10-20-2014, 07:50 AM
Hated that Reid took a timeout with 33 seconds left in the game. Why even give Rivers that chance to comeback via deep bomb completions or generous DPI flags??? Why pass the ball on the next 2 plays, and let SD keep their timeouts???

Exoter175
10-20-2014, 08:53 AM

We've seen a rash of terrible injuries, one of which took away the heart of our defense in Derrick Johnson, and even one game where we lost the heart of our offense in Jamaal Charles.

We've seen a terrible preseason where all the players we had such high hopes for -- Fisher, Ford, Gaines, Harris, etc -- looked so freaking terrible.

We took all these chances, and they all came back negative from that first terrible game at home against some team called the Titans.

Everything looked awful, and the next week we had to go to Denver for a certain loss.

This team absolutely never quit. They never even came CLOSE to quitting. They have played HARDER since losing them.

Since that Tennessee game where we lost everybody, we've gone 3-2 against the toughest part of a tough schedule, and almost won both the games we lost.

We picked up a 4'5" soccer player from Brazil, who's played and contributed. We picked up a 6'7" basketball player from Milwaukee, who's played and contributed.

We overpaid up a franchise QB that people criticize as ball-less and overpaid a stud WR that people criticize as brainless. And we're 3-2 through the toughest stretch of a tough season, with 6 of our remaining 10 games at home.

Go Chiefs.

I like the part about the 4 foot 5 soccer player, but who is the 6 foot 7 basketball player who has contributed? Because if you're talking about Demetrius Harris, I'm hereby branding you as a Demetrius Harris HOMER because he's done nothing.

Ragged Robin
10-20-2014, 09:05 AM
http://memecrunch.com/meme/PT6F/hope-it-is-the-quintessential-human-delusion-simultaneously-the-source-of-your-greatest-strength-and-your-greatest-weakness-the-architect-of-the-matrix/image.jpg

I don't think anyone here is expecting a SB, but it's pretty astonishing to look at all the brokedicks and offseason disaster and yet still be 3-3 and a couple of missed plays away from 5-1 with this strength of schedule

Pitt Gorilla
10-20-2014, 09:19 AM
I dislike the fact that we've gone from Berry, Flowers, and Carr to whomever we have back there. Whenever we have a true strength, we tend to lose it fairly quickly (aside from Charles and the pass-rush).

Mr. Laz
10-20-2014, 11:19 AM
Dorsey should give Reid half his salary.

Exoter175
10-20-2014, 11:37 AM
Dorsey should give Reid half his salary.

If this is some kind of "Reid has done an amazing job at coaching this team" post, then I'm completely behind it.

JakeLV
10-20-2014, 11:44 AM
With the exception of the Titans game, we have been in it until the last possession or dominated the game.

This team is pretty good. They are better than they were last year.

Question is, can they keep it up?

Easy 6
10-20-2014, 11:51 AM
In spite of our continuing lack of a true, vocal firebrand-type leader on either side of the ball... this teams mental toughness is definitely better than ever.

Last year, or in years past... they would've found a way to lose yesterday.

TEX
10-20-2014, 12:21 PM
In spite of our continuing lack of a true, vocal firebrand-type leader on either side of the ball... this teams mental toughness is definitely better than ever.

Last year, or in years past... they would've found a way to lose yesterday.

Yep, and they DID do just THAT last year in SD.

TEX
10-20-2014, 12:26 PM
With the exception of the Titans game, we have been in it until the last possession or dominated the game.

This team is pretty good. They are better than they were last year.

Question is, can they keep it up?

That game, the Chiefs got riddled with injuries. Very tough to overcome when it happens during a game to so many. Also, the game plan BLEW in that Reid didn't really know what he had as he was trying to make them play to what he thought they were. Didn't help matters that the OL was all jacked as well. Had the game plan been the same as it was for Mia, Den, NE & SD, they might have won. Instead, it was more like the SF game plan but for different reasons. Against SF, I honestly think Reid figured that KC would not have success running the ball so he tried to get cute.

RINGLEADER
10-20-2014, 12:44 PM

Agree with this 100%.

After the Titans game I saw maybe 2 wins.

Now it would not surprise me at all if we never lost again provided Reid keeps running the ball.

Not saying that will happen, just that it wouldn't surprise me.

RINGLEADER
10-20-2014, 12:45 PM
That game, the Chiefs got riddled with injuries. Very tough to overcome when it happens during a game to so many. Also, the game plan BLEW in that Reid didn't really know what he had as he was trying to make them play to what he thought they were. Didn't help matters that the OL was all jacked as well. Had the game plan been the same as it was for Mia, Den, NE & SD, they might have won. Instead, it was more like the SF game plan but for different reasons. Against SF, I honestly think Reid figured that KC would not have success running the ball so he tried to get cute.

This is true too.

Floridafan
10-20-2014, 01:13 PM
Agree completely with this post. I know its been said every year till we are all sick of hearing it, but I honestly believe with the FO we have now we are actually "building" a winner. When you consider all the injuries we've had and how we've played and the fact we have a ton of picks next year, Dorsey just might put an incredible team on the field next year and for years to come. JMO

MahiMike
10-20-2014, 01:15 PM
Andy is da Mandy!

TLO
10-20-2014, 01:18 PM
Andy is da Mandy!

He needs to hire Dick Curl to manage the clock for him.

Easy 6
10-20-2014, 01:21 PM
Agree completely with this post. I know its been said every year till we are all sick of hearing it, but I honestly believe with the FO we have now we are actually "building" a winner. When you consider all the injuries we've had and how we've played and the fact we have a ton of picks next year, Dorsey just might put an incredible team on the field next year and for years to come. JMO

I've definitely questioned many of Dorseys moves or non moves, but his overall team building strategy is sound... build through the draft and be very judicious with your free agent spending.

All of the seemingly useless nickel and dime signings that piss everyone, including me, off so much has actually reeeally helped our depth... we take this years injury hit in 2013 and this team would've been up shit creek.

BigRedChief
10-22-2014, 10:54 PM

Go Chiefs.I stole a lot of this for our next get together watch party.

Direckshun
10-22-2014, 11:01 PM
I stole a lot of this for our next get together watch party.

I have no idea what that means, but I'm glad I could help.

eDave
10-22-2014, 11:16 PM
I have no idea what that means, but I'm glad I could help.

It's very inspirational. In fact, I jerked to it. Good porn right there.

BigRedChief
10-22-2014, 11:21 PM
I have no idea what that means, but I'm glad I could help.When I moved to Florida I started a Chief fans group. We get together every Sunday and watch the chief games. We have 133 Chief fans now. About 8 fans from this site. I send out invites to the group letting them know where we are watching the game this week. I stole your material and put it in the email invite to pump them up for this weeks game.

Direckshun
10-22-2014, 11:36 PM
When I moved to Florida I started a Chief fans group. We get together every Sunday and watch the chief games. We have 133 Chief fans now. About 8 fans from this site. I send out invites to the group letting them know where we are watching the game this week. I stole your material and put it in the email invite to pump them up for this weeks game.

I accept Paypal transfers.

BigRedChief
10-23-2014, 08:20 AM
I accept Paypal transfers.
There is a problem with my Paypal account. I'll get back to you on that transfer.:rolleyes:

lcarus
10-23-2014, 09:29 AM
Credit goes to Andy Reid and staff. And the players for stepping up when their name has been called of course.