PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Chiefs Greats

UK_Chief
10-24-2014, 02:19 AM
Been a fan since early 2000s so my Chiefs greats are fairly recent (Priest, Shields, Roaf, Gonzalez etc). So two questions:

1) Who are your all time Chiefs players that you will always remember as the best?

2) Which players from the current or last few seasons will be considered as an all time Chiefs great? (1 obvious one!!!)

:thumb:

10-24-2014, 02:20 AM
Joe Delaney

Mojo Jojo
10-24-2014, 02:38 AM
Bobby Bell, Willie Lanier, Buck Buchanan...Three of the greatest if not the greatest players at their positions in the history of Pro Football (not just Chiefs, all of Pro Football)

rico
10-24-2014, 02:58 AM

Direckshun
10-24-2014, 03:03 AM
rico

He counts, right?

rico
10-24-2014, 03:06 AM
rico

He counts, right?

Rico Richardson! One of the all time Chiefs greats, for sheezee!

ILChief
10-24-2014, 05:23 AM
DT and Tony Gonzalez and Will Shields for me

Kman34
10-24-2014, 05:38 AM
Bobby Bell, Willie Lanier, Buck Buchanan...Three of the greatest if not the greatest players at their positions in the history of Pro Football (not just Chiefs, all of Pro Football)

This... Plus Otis Taylor

Cheater5
10-24-2014, 05:43 AM
All Time: I would add Ed Podolak

Current: Derrick Johnson

Hog's Gone Fishin
10-24-2014, 07:01 AM
Mark McMillan

IowaChiefs83
10-24-2014, 07:10 AM

Add in Derrick Thomas and you have the greatest 3-4 defense the history of the NFL?

Old Dog
10-24-2014, 07:16 AM
Bobby Bell

58-4ever
10-24-2014, 07:23 AM
I'll always remember Willie Roaf as the best. Beast mode in the run game, beast mode in the pass game. He was a sweetheart off the field too.

ChiTown
10-24-2014, 07:26 AM
Bobby Bell, Willie Lanier, Otis Taylor, Buck Buchannon, Ed Podolak............way too many to list, but there's a few

Big Poppa Payne
10-24-2014, 07:35 AM
Albert Lewis and Kevin Ross

Big Poppa Payne
10-24-2014, 07:36 AM
And Kendrick Lewis

Chief_For_Life58
10-24-2014, 07:50 AM
Eric warfield

Joshuabmayer
10-24-2014, 08:02 AM
1. Christian Okoye. DT obviously
2. Poe has the capability to be an all-time Chief in my book

Buehler445
10-24-2014, 08:06 AM
Roaf
Shields
Gonzo
Jamaal

Dudes might be some of the best ever at their position. It was fun watching them be truly great. It's unfortunate they wasted their careers with the Chiefs.

IowaChiefs83
10-24-2014, 08:06 AM
Bobby Bell
Buck Buchanan
Deron Cherry
Derrick Thomas
Priest Holmes
Will Shields
Tony Gonzales
Derrick Johnson
Jamaal Charles
Eric Berry
Tamba Hali

Dontari Poe is quickly raising to become another favorite player of mine.

Buehler445
10-24-2014, 08:09 AM
Tamba, DJ and hopefully Houston and Poe are the next level down, but still incredibly fun to watch.

BigRedChief
10-24-2014, 08:10 AM
Watching Lenny the Cool throwing to Otis Taylor on my TV hooked me on the Chiefs.

Recent:
Tony G
Shields
DT

Wallcrawler
10-24-2014, 08:19 AM
James Hasty. That guy was awesome. That INT TD against the Raiders in OT was epic.

KC_Lee
10-24-2014, 08:22 AM
Trezelle Jenkins
Snoop Minnis
Paul Palmer
Ethan Horton
Ryan Sims
Todd Blackledge

58-4ever
10-24-2014, 08:28 AM
Trezelle Jenkins
Snoop Minnis
Paul Palmer
Ethan Horton
Ryan Sims
Todd Blackledge

Suck a fat dick.

Dayze
10-24-2014, 08:29 AM
Priest Holmes, Trent Green, Tony Richardson, Derrick Johnson.

MTG#10
10-24-2014, 08:30 AM
Trent Green and Derrick Thomas.

Derrick Johnson will be one when he's gone.

KC_Lee
10-24-2014, 08:45 AM
Watching Lenny the Cool throwing to Otis Taylor on my TV hooked me on the Chiefs.

Recent:
Tony G
Shields
DT

Surprised that Otis Taylor has not gotten more love in this thread. The man was one of the great WR of all time.

'Hamas' Jenkins
10-24-2014, 08:46 AM
The older the more I feel that we really tend to overrate Derrick Thomas. He was a great football player and he did the most important thing a defender can do, but he was legitimately bad at every other aspect of playing defense. He couldn't cover worth a damn and he was a terrible, terrible run defender.

Looking back at the 1994 AFCCG, watching the Bills run the same counter trey at him over and over and watching him fuck up every time to the point where Marty had to bench him in the biggest game of his life just makes it hard for me view him as positively as many others do.

I still think the best Chief I ever saw put on the uniform is Gonzalez. Yes, he was somewhat one dimensional, but he eventually became a passable blocker. There also hasn't yet been a human being who could adequately defend him on a football field. In true Chiefs fashion, though, if they have a definitive GOAT at a position, it's TE.

I'm also perturbed by the national love that Ogden received over Roaf, who was a superior football player on far worse teams. The two played in the same era, so you can't use time as an excuse. Ogden got his ass legitimately whipped by Dwight Freeney. Roaf ate him for lunch. I don't know of anyone who ever gave him trouble.

If you have two great players and the first struggles mightily against their matchup and the second never struggled against anyone while dominating the one guy that gave the other great player fits, how can you say that the first is better than the second (as the HOF vote and others have suggested)?

Easy 6
10-24-2014, 08:50 AM
Joe Delaney

/thread.

Big Poppa Payne
10-24-2014, 08:50 AM
James Hasty. That guy was awesome. That INT TD against the Raiders in OT was epic.

Hasty was one of my favorites too, he was an absolute Raider killer. He always had his best games against them.

Big Poppa Payne
10-24-2014, 08:51 AM
Dan Saleaumua and Joe Phillips

Aries Walker
10-24-2014, 09:24 AM
Am I the only one who remembers Len Dawson?

ThaVirus
10-24-2014, 09:48 AM
I became a die-hard in the early 2000s so for me it's guys like Willie Roaf, Will Shields, Tony Richardson, Jamaal Charles, and Tony Gonzalez.

Priest Holmes and Larry Johnson had their shine but you have to wonder how much of their success should be attributed to that beast of an offensive line.

I remember a bit of Derrick Thomas and I always loved Andre Rison as a kid.

UK_Chief
10-24-2014, 01:02 PM
I became a die-hard in the early 2000s so for me it's guys like Willie Roaf, Will Shields, Tony Richardson, Jamaal Charles, and Tony Gonzalez.

Priest Holmes and Larry Johnson had their shine but you have to wonder how much of their success should be attributed to that beast of an offensive line.

I remember a bit of Derrick Thomas and I always loved Andre Rison as a kid.

What the frick would Jamaal do running behind that line?!

Chiefs Pantalones
10-24-2014, 01:25 PM
Favorite all-time Chief is Len Dawson for me. I have a framed autographed jersey on my wall of his and an authentic 1969 Super Bowl IV jersey that my wife got me for a wedding anniversary gift that I wear. And it's an original, not a knock off that you can buy on those chinese sites lol. My other favs are Bell, Lanier, Buchanan, Shields, DT, Otis Taylor (a damn shame he isn't in the HOF) to name a few. Also love me some Jamaal Charles, Eric Berry, DJ, Poe, etc. All-time though is Lenny.

rockymtnchief
10-24-2014, 01:29 PM
Jim Lynch was my first favorite, followed by Art Still, Joe Delaney, Deron Cherry, DT, Priest Holmes and JC.

BossChief
10-24-2014, 01:55 PM
Okoye
Hasty
Dale carter
Hali
Priest
Charles
Gonzalez
NS/DT
Shields
Jared Allen
Derrick Johnson
Roaf
Flowers
Houston
Poe

Easy 6
10-24-2014, 04:35 PM
Am I the only one who remembers Len Dawson?

I didnt think you were all that much older than me based on the pic I seen of you somewhere around here, you totally looked like "Subotai" lol... Lenny Cool and this teams heyday was over atleast a full year before I was born.

So yeah, for my age range you're the only one... renting Montana was the closest I came to feeling that glory.

Direckshun
10-24-2014, 05:05 PM
The older the more I feel that we really tend to overrate Derrick Thomas. He was a great football player and he did the most important thing a defender can do, but he was legitimately bad at every other aspect of playing defense. He couldn't cover worth a damn and he was a terrible, terrible run defender.

Looking back at the 1994 AFCCG, watching the Bills run the same counter trey at him over and over and watching him **** up every time to the point where Marty had to bench him in the biggest game of his life just makes it hard for me view him as positively as many others do.

I still think the best Chief I ever saw put on the uniform is Gonzalez. Yes, he was somewhat one dimensional, but he eventually became a passable blocker. There also hasn't yet been a human being who could adequately defend him on a football field. In true Chiefs fashion, though, if they have a definitive GOAT at a position, it's TE.

I'm also perturbed by the national love that Ogden received over Roaf, who was a superior football player on far worse teams. The two played in the same era, so you can't use time as an excuse. Ogden got his ass legitimately whipped by Dwight Freeney. Roaf ate him for lunch. I don't know of anyone who ever gave him trouble.

If you have two great players and the first struggles mightily against their matchup and the second never struggled against anyone while dominating the one guy that gave the other great player fits, how can you say that the first is better than the second (as the HOF vote and others have suggested)?

Great post.

displacedinMN
10-24-2014, 06:39 PM
Great post.

agree

2500 yards

Psyko Tek
10-24-2014, 09:53 PM

that would not be legal in today's NFl,

got an idiot at work, boss's kid, tell me how great the cards line is
the fucker has never seen shields and roalf pull and lead a sweep,
caterpillar is still trying to copy that bulldozing teknology

Psyko Tek
10-24-2014, 09:57 PM
k I loved Neil smith, yeah I know he sold out( forced out) but that fucking flinch he would do to pull offenses of the line I loved
that whole D is one of my all time fave
smith, DT, salemua, hasty, tongue, warfield, even albert lewis ( also a sellout)
marty kept it within 7 those fuckers would win it in the 4th somehow

that's how I remember the 90's
and I always will, true or not

milkman
10-24-2014, 10:06 PM
OK, the usual suspects have already been named.

Willie Lanier was, and still is, my favorite player ever.
Bobby Bell is almost certainly the greatest ever, though.

The one guy who might not get mentioned, however, is Jim Tyrer.

He was widely considered the best LT to have ever played the game when he retired, but his murder/suicide killed any chance that he would get into the HOF where he belongs.

Given what we've learned about concussions and CTE over the last few years, they should reconsider his canidacy.

MatriculatingHank
10-24-2014, 10:26 PM

My thoughts exactly. I think these 3 players in their prime would be able to succeed in today's NFL. Bobby Bell for sure.

Otter
10-25-2014, 02:24 AM
I'll throw Donnie Edwards into the mix. Sure he went to a division rival but he was one of my favorite players while playing for the Chiefs.

J Diddy
10-25-2014, 02:30 AM
I'll throw Donnie Edwards into the mix. Sure he went to a division rival but he was one of my favorite players while playing for the Chiefs.

Donnie's nickname should be the tick because he latched on and then got carried around for weeks.

I liked Donnie but no way is he a great.

J Diddy
10-25-2014, 02:31 AM
k I loved Neil smith, yeah I know he sold out( forced out) but that fucking flinch he would do to pull offenses of the line I loved
that whole D is one of my all time fave
smith, DT, salemua, hasty, tongue, warfield, even albert lewis ( also a sellout)
marty kept it within 7 those fuckers would win it in the 4th somehow

that's how I remember the 90's
and I always will, true or not

Can't blame Neil Smith. He was forced out, it was either him or DT and they chose DT.

Seems that they should have tried harder.

J Diddy
10-25-2014, 02:35 AM
Trent Green and Derrick Thomas.

Derrick Johnson will be one when he's gone.

Trent Green was the man.

J Diddy
10-25-2014, 02:37 AM
Mark McMillan

Dude Mighty Mouse kicked some ass, albeit for a season, but he did kick some ass.

Mojo Jojo
10-25-2014, 05:26 AM

Looking back at the 1994 AFCCG, watching the Bills run the same counter trey at him over and over and watching him **** up every time to the point where Marty had to bench him in the biggest game of his life just makes it hard for me view him as positively as many others do.

Great post! At best DT is the third best LB in Chiefs history.

Otter
10-25-2014, 05:47 AM
Donnie's nickname should be the tick because he latched on and then got carried around for weeks.

Think Donnie was a DB trapped in an LB body. If not by body at least by assignment. Still remember when he intercepted a pass, he had a lot of INTs for a LB, and right before he went down and was officially tackled he lateralled to Jerome Woods who took ran it back for a TD unless I'm mistaken. I do know the latteral payed off.

He had a Billy the Kid way of playing about him that I liked.

Otter
10-25-2014, 05:55 AM
As far as Blackledge being drafted by the Chiefs I"m pretty certain that was a two way situation. Chiefs don't have a good, wel lets face it, just plain horrible history of developing QBs.

Not saying he wouldn't have done better if he was drafted by San Fran or Green Bay but the Chiefs have always had thier priorties elseware. Pretty sure I would have said "oh shit" and put on a big smile as well.

ThatRaceCardGuy
10-25-2014, 07:57 AM
Well. ..it ain't that broke back kicker that shall never be named..lol

milkman
10-25-2014, 08:05 AM

Donnie shoulda been a Cowboy.

He rode the back of ball carriers like horses.

scho63
10-25-2014, 08:13 AM

:clap:

Hard not to love these guys when you are a long time fan and I'll add Johnny Robinson, Ed Podolak and Jerrel "Coffin Corner" Wilson to this list.

For more modern guys my favorite ten in no order:
1. Trent Green
2. Lake Dawson
3. Dante Hall
4. Derrick Thomas and Derrick Johnson- the Derrick combo
5. Deron Cherry and Kevin Ross combo
6. James Hasty
7. Tamarick Vanover
8. Priest Holmes
9. Neil Smith
10. Gary Barbaro

Delaney37
10-25-2014, 08:24 AM
OK, the usual suspects have already been named.

Willie Lanier was, and still is, my favorite player ever.
Bobby Bell is almost certainly the greatest ever, though.

The one guy who might not get mentioned, however, is Jim Tyrer.

He was widely considered the best LT to have ever played the game when he retired, but his murder/suicide killed any chance that he would get into the HOF where he belongs.

Given what we've learned about concussions and CTE over the last few years, they should reconsider his canidacy.

I would add to that LG Ed Budde. Totally agree about Jim Tyrer.

Delaney37
10-25-2014, 08:30 AM
Another I'd add that I haven't seen mentioned yet is Stephone Paige. I'll never forget the game against the Chargers where he had 309 receiving yards.

milkman
10-25-2014, 08:35 AM
Another I'd add that I haven't seen mentioned yet is Stephone Paige. I'll never forget the game against the Chargers where he had 309 receiving yards.

That guy was easily the second best receiver that has ever worn the Chiefs uniform.

One more.

Emmit Thomas, easily the best corner.

milkman
10-25-2014, 08:37 AM
I just can't put Ed Podolak in the list.

He was a solid player, with an all time great game.

But he just shouldn't be in the converstion of all time greats.

Rasputin
10-25-2014, 11:48 AM
I got mixed emotions about Carl Peterson but I think he should be mentioned.

BossChief
10-25-2014, 01:46 PM
Can't blame Neil Smith. He was forced out, it was either him or DT and they chose DT.

Seems that they should have tried harder.

Neil Smith got screwed by his agent.

Have you seen the interview when he found out the Chiefs offered more than Denver?

There was some behind the scenes fuckery going on in that one.

Hootie
10-25-2014, 01:47 PM
Tony G is my fave

ThaVirus
10-25-2014, 01:52 PM
Neil Smith got screwed by his agent.

Have you seen the interview when he found out the Chiefs offered more than Denver?

There was some behind the scenes ****ery going on in that one.

With Denver involved that is all but guaranteed.

Chiefshrink
10-25-2014, 01:55 PM
Pat Dennis

Chiefshrink
10-25-2014, 01:57 PM
I got mixed emotions about Carl Peterson but I think he should be mentioned.

Carl didn't re-tool the D from 02-05 when we realistically could have had a couple of SBs from that period. Nobody could stop our O for sure.

Peterson went cheap and paid for it.