PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs NFL to play five London games in 2015

chiefzilla1501
10-26-2014, 09:01 AM
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/11767027/nfl-play-five-london-games-2015

Roger Goodell, kindly fuck off and please return the game to a commissioner who actually cares about the integrity of the game. Thank you very much.

Deberg_1990
10-26-2014, 09:02 AM
Chiefs home game in London?

Scorp
10-26-2014, 09:04 AM
Hey Goodell, nobody give a flying fuck about London but you! Die in an AIDS fire!

chiefzilla1501
10-26-2014, 09:06 AM
5 teams will lose a home game
5 teams will gain the advantage of a neutral game instead of a road game

5 NFL markets with taxpayers funding the stadium will have one less home game in their city.

The amount of stupid in this kind of decision is just mind-blowing. Owners get richer, at the expense of taxpayers and the quality of the game.

BigMeatballDave
10-26-2014, 09:08 AM
LMAO at the Goodell hate for this.

Do you people never learn?

You don't think the owners want this?

Don't you see people in Wimbley wearing NFL jerseys?

They are buying NFL merchandise. Money.

alnorth
10-26-2014, 09:09 AM
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/11767027/nfl-play-five-london-games-2015

Roger Goodell, kindly fuck off and please return the game to a commissioner who actually cares about the integrity of the game. Thank you very much.

He's not emperor of the NFL. The owners obviously want this, and if a commissioner said no, they would fire him and find someone who would say yes.

BigMeatballDave
10-26-2014, 09:13 AM
If this is all Goodell, from a business standpoint, he looks pretty smart.

I'm not saying I like it, but he's just doing what they hired him to do.

He's going nowhere.

Get used to this.

chiefzilla1501
He's not emperor of the NFL. The owners obviously want this, and if a commissioner said no, they would fire him and find someone who would say yes.

That is total horseshit. Commissioners have to report to the owners, but they are allowed to have a backbone. And a lot of the stupid ideas the NFL has come up with have come from the brains of Goodell and company, not the other way around.

Reerun_KC
Super bowl in London will happen and sooner than you want.

BigMeatballDave
10-26-2014, 09:15 AM
That is total horseshit. Commissioners have to report to the owners, but they are allowed to have a backbone. And a lot of the stupid ideas the NFL has come up with have come from the brains of Goodell and company, not the other way around.

:facepalm:

Open your eyes.

chiefzilla1501

I don't see a big problem with that. I definitely think the NFL should explore more preseason games and offseason programs in Europe.

The regular season is just fucking stupid.

BigMeatballDave

Yep

Deberg_1990
10-26-2014, 09:16 AM

5 NFL markets with taxpayers funding the stadium will have one less home game in their city.

The amount of stupid in this kind of decision is just mind-blowing. Owners get richer, at the expense of taxpayers and the quality of the game.

I notice they usually choose the teams that dont have strong fanbases to give up a home game.

Jax, Oakland and Atlanta this season.

I honestly done see them doing that to the Broncos, Chiefs, Packers, New England, Dallas etc......

bdj23
10-26-2014, 09:17 AM
NFL plz

BigMeatballDave
10-26-2014, 09:18 AM
I don't see a big problem with that. I definitely think the NFL should explore more preseason games and offseason programs in Europe.

The regular season is just fucking stupid.

None of this matters.

This is easy money for the owners. Period.

The owners are squeezing out as much as they can possibly get while they can.

alnorth
10-26-2014, 09:18 AM

I guess if you hate what's going on lately, its better to believe this, because then you could hope for a new commissioner someday. If you believed this was coming from the owners, then obviously there's no hope for change.

ChiliConCarnage
10-26-2014, 09:22 AM
I notice they usually choose the teams that dont have strong fanbases to give up a home game.

I honestly done see them doing that to the Broncos, Chiefs, Packers, New England, Dallas etc......

Well, the league’s international committee has reps from nine teams, six of which have played in the International Series, and three that have not: Chiefs (Clark Hunt is the committee’s chair), Bills and Eagles. Those teams will be prime candidates in 2015.

Clark Hunt started on the International committee in 2007, the first year a game was played in London. He now heads the committee and were getting 5 games in London. Direct your Goodell hate to Hunt or really all the owners tbh

chiefzilla1501
10-26-2014, 09:24 AM
I guess if you hate what's going on lately, its better to believe this, because then you could hope for a new commissioner someday. If you believed this was coming from the owners, then obviously there's no hope for change.

There are more than a few critically stupid mistakes on Goodell's side to lead you to believe the guy has absolutely no clue what he's doing. Which means it's more than fair to ask how many of these stupid decisions are being made due to his leadership and how many could have also been avoided due to his leadership.

For as much as we talk about commissioners being a puppet for the owners, there is no commissioner in any sport who has ever come off that way nearly as close as Roger Goodell. For as much hate as Stern and Selig and Tagliabue got most of the years, nobody ever doubted these guys had a backbone.

Deberg_1990
10-26-2014, 09:25 AM
Clark Hunt started on the International committee in 2007, the first year a game was played in London. He now heads the committee and were getting 5 games in London. Direct your Goodell hate to Hunt or really all the owners tbh

Interesting. I think there will be major fan backlash from strong fanbases like the ones i mentioned if they have to give up a home game.

chiefzilla1501
10-26-2014, 09:26 AM

Hunt was also the biggest proponent of an 18-game season. I agree some of the hate has to be directed at some of the ownership. But there are plenty of initiatives that would make more money that have been stricken down due to integrity. A lot less so since Goodell took over.

chiefzilla1501
10-26-2014, 09:27 AM
Interesting. I think there will be major fan backlash from strong fanbases like the ones i mentioned if they have to give up a home game.

If I'm a season ticket holder in any of those markets, I start a revolt. If I'm a taxpayer in any of those markets, I start a revolt. Taking away a home game in a regular season is completely and utterly unacceptable.

BigMeatballDave
10-26-2014, 09:31 AM
If I'm a season ticket holder in any of those markets, I start a revolt. If I'm a taxpayer in any of those markets, I start a revolt. Taking away a home game in a regular season is completely and utterly unacceptable.Revolt. LOL

Think of it as the team saving you the cash for one game.

MMXcalibur
10-26-2014, 09:35 AM
Unreal.

Start sending English Premier League matches to the US and we'll see how those tea-loving fucks like the idea then.

chiefzilla1501
10-26-2014, 09:35 AM
Revolt. LOL

Think of it as the team saving you the cash for one game.

Assuming that a fair discount is actually applied, which I doubt it will.

Taxpayers are paying for a stadium that is supposed to draw entertainment revenue to the surrounding hotels, restaurants, bars, etc... The $ value on that is not small. It's really significant.

Sponsors pay massive dollars to host events at the stadium, to have advertisements plastered all over the stadium. I'm pretty sure Price Chopper isn't going to benefit off of more London viewership.

Luxury box owners often use the suite as a perk to their top employees or more importantly as a way to schmooze high dollar clients.

There are a lot of people who get screwed in this to the tune of big bucks. Let's not marginalize this to season ticketholders getting one less game to go to.

TribalElder
10-26-2014, 09:37 AM
I hate this shit, it's fucking stupid

Deberg_1990
10-26-2014, 09:38 AM
Well, on the plus side, im enjoying the early AM NFL football!

TribalElder
10-26-2014, 09:39 AM
The people don't even know whats going on do they? ROFL

the "fans" in the stands ?

chiefqueen
10-26-2014, 09:41 AM
Two of the three games involve Oakland and Jax, and England's our ally???

:hmmm:

Hammock Parties
10-26-2014, 09:41 AM
fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

http://cdn3.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_asset/file/2392702/staffordlaser.0.gif

BigMeatballDave
10-26-2014, 09:42 AM
fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

http://cdn3.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_asset/file/2392702/staffordlaser.0.gif

Elite arm.

Gives me wood.

BlackHelicopters
10-26-2014, 10:15 AM
Good excuse to start drinking early.

TribalElder
10-26-2014, 10:36 AM
Ultimate trolling on the delay of game

I thought there would be a 10 second runoff :shrug:

MMXcalibur
10-26-2014, 10:40 AM
Ultimate trolling on the delay of game

I thought there would be a 10 second runoff :shrug:

Doesn't that only apply when the clock is running?

Ming the Merciless
10-26-2014, 10:42 AM

meh

can't really blame them for trying to get a more world wide audience...

there are what, 300 million people in the USA?

so theres another 6 Billion people they could get interested in the NFL out there....

I dont really care either way.....but its not exactly rocket science......

KCrockaholic
10-26-2014, 10:43 AM
2022 Superbowl in London.

TribalElder
10-26-2014, 10:44 AM
Doesn't that only apply when the clock is running?

you have to be correct on that

chiefzilla1501
10-26-2014, 10:44 AM
meh

can't really blame them for trying to get a more world wide audience...

there are what, 300 million people in the USA?

so theres another 6 Billion people they could get interested in the NFL out there....

I dont really care either way.....but its not exactly rocket science......
Then play the pro bowl and skills competition there. Preseason games. Otas. A million opportunities to do it that don't ruin the integrity of the game.

DrunkBassGuitar
10-26-2014, 10:47 AM

how long before a london expansion team?

Ming the Merciless
10-26-2014, 10:47 AM
Then play the pro bowl and skills competition there. Preseason games. Otas. A million opportunities to do it that don't ruin the integrity of the game.

All's i am saying is take a look at english premier league soccer, and how much $$$ they make from selling the TV rights over here...

We cant sell sell TV rights over there (in europe & elsewhere) unless people get to know the game and get to LOVE the game...

so its kind of a no brainer they are trying to promote the game...

I mean I agree with some of your points (losing a home game BLOWS for whatever team loses it...) but there are ways to make that fair....(rotate losing home games..etc...)

anyhow, not a huge deal IMO and also its pretty logical from a marketing point of view if you want to sell sunday ticket, jerseys, hats and t shirts etc... to europeans / brits

Coach
10-26-2014, 11:18 AM
So next year 5 teams get to lose home games instead of three. Taxpayers, who largely are the financiers of NFL stadiums, are being given the big middle finger. "Cities, use your tax dollars to build a stadium so we can have it sit empty while we play a game in London."

Lovely.

This London NFL stuff needs to end.

tk13
10-26-2014, 11:22 AM

It's going to have to happen eventually. Even Atlanta usually sells out and has been a tough place to play. They certainly aren't Jacksonville.

Saulbadguy
10-26-2014, 11:26 AM
I'd like them to spread the love a bit. Why just London?

Dunerdr
10-26-2014, 11:27 AM
Fuck you roger!

Jewish Rabbi
10-26-2014, 11:42 AM
I'd like them to spread the love a bit. Why just London?

Not that I like overseas games in any way, shape, or form, but this is a good point.

tk13
10-26-2014, 11:51 AM
Probably because they're trying to drum up interest in London so they can justify putting a team there. A couple years from now when they're playing 8 games a year, they can say "Hey, we already sell out 8 dates there."

Once they get a team in London, it'll be interesting to see if they start playing somewhere like Spain or Germany. Or another UK city.

KChiefs1
10-26-2014, 12:02 PM
Chiefs home game in London?

Hell no!

Donger
10-26-2014, 12:08 PM

I'm sure that people would love getting up at 6:00am to watch the Super Bowl.

stonedstooge
10-26-2014, 02:14 PM
If the game evolves the next 10 years like it did the last 10 years, move the whole shebang over there. I won't really give a fuck

jd1020
10-26-2014, 02:16 PM
Probably because they're trying to drum up interest in London so they can justify putting a team there. A couple years from now when they're playing 8 games a year, they can say "Hey, we already sell out 8 dates there."

Once they get a team in London, it'll be interesting to see if they start playing somewhere like Spain or Germany. Or another UK city.

Good luck to them trying to find someone willing to back up a single team in London.

NJChiefsFan
10-26-2014, 02:32 PM

That really wouldn't bother me. I'm not going to one anyway and it's already a neutral site. I guess I would prefer the economic help be for a U.S. city.

J Diddy
10-26-2014, 02:33 PM
That really wouldn't bother me. I'm not going to one anyway and it's already a neutral site. I guess I would prefer the economic help be for a U.S. city.

This.

BigMeatballDave
10-26-2014, 02:34 PM
I'm sure that people would love getting up at 6:00am to watch the Super Bowl.

LOL Yeah, that would happen.

J Diddy
10-26-2014, 02:34 PM
LOL Yeah, that would happen.

Shit. It would make the SB an all night party.

Tribal Warfare
10-26-2014, 02:36 PM
Good excuse to start drinking early.

depending on want timezone, it can't be accrued as alcoholism.

tk13
10-26-2014, 02:42 PM
Good luck to them trying to find someone willing to back up a single team in London.

I don't see why that would be a problem. The NFL owners at this point are just looking to squeeze every dollar they can out of the product. The big thing about London is they already have a stadium in place, and it opens the door for European expansion. I'm not sold that it's a great idea... there are tons of issues related to actually playing the games, travel, etc... but at this point London might be just as easy as LA from a business point of view.

jd1020
10-26-2014, 02:45 PM
I don't see why that would be a problem. The NFL owners at this point are just looking to squeeze every dollar they can out of the product. The big thing about London is they already have a stadium in place, and it opens the door for European expansion. I'm not sold that it's a great idea... there are tons of issues related to actually playing the games, travel, etc... but at this point London might be just as easy as LA from a business point of view.

That's the stupidest thing I've ever heard.

London might be just as easy? Are you ****ing serious?

NFL is the #1 sport in the US, by a ****ing country mile.

Soccer is the #1 sport in Europe, by 2 fucking country miles, and one American Football team isn't going to make an impact. They'd just be pissing money away.

-King-
10-26-2014, 02:46 PM
I actually really don't care. It's an obvious business move to do so to expand the league.

-King-
10-26-2014, 02:47 PM

That's pretty good for Chiefs. That means the Chiefs are one of the least likely teams to lose a game to London.

tk13
10-26-2014, 02:55 PM

Soccer is the #1 sport in Europe, by 2 ****ing country miles, and one American Football team isn't going to make an impact. They'd just be pissing money away.

That's really the stupidest thing you've ever heard? Ever? That's a bit dramatic. I didn't even say it was a good idea. I'm not sure if it is. And I agree, I don't think it's going to surpass the popularity of soccer. But I don't think that's the NFL's goal. The goal is simply to make more money and expand the "brand."

They already have a stadium built and fit to host NFL games, and are playing more games in London every year than they are in LA. It's obvious the next decade or so they're going to put a team there.

MikeMaslowski
10-26-2014, 04:30 PM
Do we need to preempt this with a "Keep our Chiefs at Home" campaign?? Because Chiefs?

BigMeatballDave
10-26-2014, 04:38 PM

Soccer is the #1 sport in Europe, by 2 fucking country miles, and one American Football team isn't going to make an impact. They'd just be pissing money away.

Well, go ahead and send your resume to the NFL. Tell them your plan to save them from sinking a multi-billion dollar endeavor.

I'm sure no one has run any kind of numbers about placing a team in London.

Reerun_KC
10-26-2014, 04:54 PM
At least we would probably get the Super Bowl on Saturday night or early sunday...

Nothing is worse than not being able to hang out with family because the Super Bowl goes late into sunday evening...

chiefzilla1501
10-26-2014, 06:19 PM
Well, go ahead and send your resume to the NFL. Tell them your plan to save them from sinking a multi-billion dollar endeavor.

I'm sure no one has run any kind of numbers about placing a team in London.

I'm sure the NFL also ran a bunch of numbers on Thursday Night Football. Which is one of the worst ideas to spring out of the modern NFL.

cmh6476
11-06-2014, 11:08 AM
I'm not sure I am in favor of this

Sorter
11-06-2014, 11:13 AM
I'm not sure I am in favor of this

https://s-media-cache-ec0.pinimg.com/originals/75/fe/45/75fe45e808769daff52bfd296d7afc16.jpg

tk13
11-06-2014, 11:29 AM
I'm sure the NFL also ran a bunch of numbers on Thursday Night Football. Which is one of the worst ideas to spring out of the modern NFL.

Yeah it hasn't been great for the quality of the game, but Thursday night has been great for the owners. They made $275 million from CBS to broadcast 8 games this year. 8 games. Same thing for London. They are going to make a ton of money eventually off this.

Mr. Laz
11-06-2014, 11:32 AM
lol at anyone stupid enough to think that it's Goodell pushing for a global NFL.

alnorth
11-06-2014, 11:33 AM

Worst idea based on what metric? Its made the NFL a hell of a lot of money, which is really the only important priority for the NFL.

J Diddy
11-06-2014, 11:36 AM
lol at anyone stupid enough to think that it's Goodell pushing for a global NFL.

Cat poop.

He's pushing for a universal NFL. As soon as private space travel goes mainline we'll be playing the Mars Mariners at The Face at Invesco Field.

ChiefsCountry
11-06-2014, 11:38 AM
Worst idea based on what metric? Its made the NFL a hell of a lot of money, which is really the only important priority for the NFL.

Its zilla who you are talking about. Other than CoMo its always smarter to be on the other side of the conversation with him.

Dayze
11-06-2014, 11:38 AM
MARTIANS is a racist team name! / PC retards 2067

alnorth
11-06-2014, 11:39 AM
Cat poop.

He's pushing for a universal NFL. As soon as private space travel goes mainline we'll be playing the Mars Mariners at The Face at Invesco Field.

Goodell is not the emperor of the NFL. He's the owners puppet. Its not a situation where Goodell is demanding this and the owners are meekly going "ummm, I'm not sure about this, but OK Roger, we trust you."

Playing games in London every year, whether or not they ever actually put a team there, is a smart business idea that will make them money.

chiefzilla1501
11-06-2014, 11:41 AM
There will come a point when the NFL realizes they've over saturated the game to the point that it becomes completely unwatchable. The shiny object approach of the NFL can only last so long. I'm with mark Cuban on this.

J Diddy
11-06-2014, 11:42 AM
MARTIANS is a racist team name! / PC retards 2067

I said Mars Mariners.

J Diddy
11-06-2014, 11:43 AM
Goodell is not the emperor of the NFL. He's the owners puppet. Its not a situation where Goodell is demanding this and the owners are meekly going "ummm, I'm not sure about this, but OK Roger, we trust you."

Playing games in London every year, whether or not they ever actually put a team there, is a smart business idea that will make them money.

That's what Goodell would like you to believe.

alnorth
11-06-2014, 11:43 AM
There will come a point when the NFL realizes they've over saturated the game to the point that it becomes completely unwatchable. The shiny object approach of the NFL can only last so long. I'm with mark Cuban on this.

Mark Cuban is dead-ass wrong on this. His article was self-serving and idiotic.

The NFL is never going to be "unwatchable", at least not for enough fans for it to matter to the bottom line.

chiefzilla1501
11-06-2014, 11:45 AM
That's what Goodell would like you to believe.
Exactly.

Amazing how Goodell is a puppet, but tagliabue, Stern, and Selig were known for having some kind of backbone. Has anyone seen any indication that Goodell knows what he's doing other than making money for a sport that was already a cash cow?

Discuss Thrower
11-06-2014, 11:46 AM
Mark Cuban is dead-ass wrong on this. His article was self-serving and idiotic.

The NFL is never going to be "unwatchable", at least not for enough fans for it to matter to the bottom line.

Pretty sure KC just got flagged for illegal contact.

chiefzilla1501
11-06-2014, 11:46 AM
Its zilla who you are talking about. Other than CoMo its always smarter to be on the other side of the conversation with him.
Yeah, you're a crown jewel yourself

alnorth
11-06-2014, 11:48 AM
Exactly.

Amazing how Goodell is a puppet, but tagliabue, Stern, and Selig were known for having some kind of backbone. Has anyone seen any indication that Goodell knows what he's doing other than making money for a sport that was already a cash cow?

Every single person you named was a servant for the owners. They didn't have "backbone", as in an ability to impose their will on the owners.

The concept of the independent commissioner beholden to no one acting for the best interest of the game is long, long dead.

tk13
11-06-2014, 11:50 AM
Exactly.

I don't think Goodell is a complete puppet, but the owners are behind him all the way. Remember a couple years ago they locked out the players, despite record profits and just signing a huge MNF contract. That's when I knew there was no stopping the train, the owners are going to see just how far they can push things. There may not be a limit, football is the most popular sport and it isn't close. They can change rules, add games, expand the playoffs, move teams overseas... I'm not sure it's going to matter. They are going to make money.
Posted via Mobile Device

luv
11-06-2014, 11:50 AM
This may have already been asked somewhere, but, if would the season ticket holder of a team who loses a home game only get charges for 9 games instead of 10?

cosmo20002
11-06-2014, 11:53 AM

Mark CubanLMAO

Mark Cuban is against more nights of NFL because it would compete with the NBA.

J Diddy
11-06-2014, 11:56 AM
This may have already been asked somewhere, but, if would the season ticket holder of a team who loses a home game only get charges for 9 games instead of 10?

Do you lose it or is it mandatory that you go to London?

cosmo20002
11-06-2014, 11:57 AM

Of course. They can't exactly charge people for a game that doesn't exist.
Although I'm sure Goodell is trying to figure a way around that!

Discuss Thrower
11-06-2014, 11:58 AM
The Dolphins really get the shaft here.

They lose a divisional home game.

Patriots are the only AFCE team not to play across the Atlantic in 2015.

luv

Hey, if they want to pay for my flight and hotel, I'd be all for it!

wazu

No media anywhere is bothering to answer this obvious question.

Dayze
Oh, I'm sure there's a way you can "pay" for it. / #shakeityouwontbreakit

cosmo20002
11-06-2014, 11:59 AM

Worst idea by what measure?
They make huge $ off of it.
Live events, particularly sports, are becoming even more important to advertisers since people generally don't DVR them. They watch them live--and they don't fast-forward through the commercials.

wazu
11-06-2014, 12:00 PM
Of course. They can't exactly charge people for a game that doesn't exist.
Although I'm sure Goodell is trying to figure a way around that!

I don't know the rule now, but when London games started I think fans had to buy tickets. Like preseason. No biggie cause they sell for profit.

nbarone007
11-06-2014, 12:02 PM
Chiefs did this to get a better chance at winning a SB bid.

J Diddy
11-06-2014, 12:02 PM

and on the upside, if you have a passport, they might ask you to play!

cosmo20002
11-06-2014, 12:04 PM
I don't know the rule now, but when London games started I think fans had to buy tickets. Like preseason. No biggie cause they sell for profit.

No. They don't/didn't make people pay for a game to be played 5000 miles from the home stadium.

chiefzilla1501
11-06-2014, 12:05 PM
Every single person you named was a servant for the owners. They didn't have "backbone", as in an ability to impose their will on the owners.

The concept of the independent commissioner beholden to no one acting for the best interest of the game is long, long dead.
That's bs. None of them went rogue. They demonstrated a balance for being a puppet for the owners with enough examples of having the backbone to do what's right. And these guys were actually competent at their jobs.

Goodell is a puppet, has never had a backbone and is incompetent. Judging by the ray rice incident, to make things worse, he plays favorites too. How can anyone defend the job he's done?

alnorth
11-06-2014, 12:19 PM

I seriously doubt that this was ever the case for anyone at any time.

alnorth
11-06-2014, 12:23 PM
That's bs. None of them went rogue. They demonstrated a balance for being a puppet for the owners with enough examples of having the backbone to do what's right. And these guys were actually competent at their jobs.

Goodell is a puppet, has never had a backbone and is incompetent. Judging by the ray rice incident, to make things worse, he plays favorites too. How can anyone defend the job he's done?

The commissioner is nothing more than the pro version of the NCAA. His office or people who report to him enforce the rules, punish violations, set the schedules, etc. Similar to how the NCAA can punish individual teams, the commish can fine individual owners, but thats because the owners as a group want that system to exist, just like the NCAA only exists because the colleges want it to exist. The owners are the ones who set the overall league policy and direction. The owners don't want to bother with the minor unimportant details, they pay Goodell to worry about that for them.

I'm sure if the commish gets a clever idea to make money the owners will hear him out, but the commissioner of any sport is never, ever, ever going to do something that owners as a whole don't want him to do, because they can just simply fire his ass. Complaining about Goodell as if the owners didn't want whatever it is Goodell is doing, is about as silly as complaining about the NCAA as if the colleges are all helpless bystanders.

Put it another way: if the owners did not want to play in London, we wouldn't be playing in London. It doesn't matter who came up with the idea, we're doing it because the owners want to do it, no other reason whatsoever.

chiefzilla1501
11-06-2014, 12:35 PM
The commissioner is nothing more than the pro version of the NCAA. His office or people who report to him enforce the rules, punish violations, set the schedules, etc. Similar to how the NCAA can punish individual teams, the commish can fine individual owners, but thats because the owners as a group want that system to exist, just like the NCAA only exists because the colleges want it to exist. The owners are the ones who set the overall league policy and direction. The owners don't want to bother with the minor unimportant details, they pay Goodell to worry about that for them.

I'm sure if the commish gets a clever idea to make money the owners will hear him out, but the commissioner of any sport is never, ever, ever going to do something that owners as a whole don't want him to do, because they can just simply fire his ass. Complaining about Goodell as if the owners didn't want whatever it is Goodell is doing, is about as silly as complaining about the NCAA as if the colleges are all helpless bystanders.

Put it another way: if the owners did not want to play in London, we wouldn't be playing in London. It doesn't matter who came up with the idea, we're doing it because the owners want to do it, no other reason whatsoever.
The commissioner has the ability to not dog and pony show ideas that don't make sense. And he has ability to make a case for not doing anything even if he gets overruled. The owners will react to whatever makes them money. Goodell has ability and responsibility to have a good business case for why they do the things they do.

Good commissioners understand the balance between the two. There is no commissioner obsessed with shiny objects the way Goodell is. And the careless implementation in most of these cases is all Goodell... And it is testament to his competence.

alnorth
11-06-2014, 12:47 PM
The commissioner has the ability to not dog and pony show ideas that don't make sense. And he has ability to make a case for not doing anything even if he gets overruled. The owners will react to whatever makes them money. Goodell has ability and responsibility to have a good business case for why they do the things they do.

Good commissioners understand the balance between the two. There is no commissioner obsessed with shiny objects the way Goodell is. And the careless implementation in most of these cases is all Goodell... And it is testament to his competence.

The problem with your argument is that Thursday Night Football and playing some games in London are both good ideas.

They are not evidence of incompetence, at all. Quite the opposite, they are evidence that the NFL knows what its doing.

chiefzilla1501
11-06-2014, 01:00 PM
The problem with your argument is that Thursday Night Football and playing some games in London are both good ideas.

They are not evidence of incompetence, at all. Quite the opposite, they are evidence that the NFL knows what its doing.
It depends on if you think making more money at the expense of the game is good, and if you think doing that repeatedly is sustainable.

Thursday night football completely throws off a teams travel schedule as will international games. London games will either advantage a team into one less road game or disadvantage them from taking away one more home game. Goodell wants to soon spread football to other days too. There is a saturation point where it becomes too much. I do agree with Cubans point that it's going to hit a saturation point if not careful.

Bugeater
11-06-2014, 01:02 PM
Why do people keep saying this?

cosmo20002
11-06-2014, 02:36 PM

This makes absolutely no sense.

Buck
11-06-2014, 09:39 PM
Why do people keep saying this?

There was some story the other day saying the NFL proclaimed that if you want to host a super bowl you better be prepared to lose a home game date, internationally.

Bugeater
11-06-2014, 09:56 PM
There was some story the other day saying the NFL proclaimed that if you want to host a super bowl you better be prepared to lose a home game date, internationally.
Nice, so Goodell has resorted to extortion to get these games played. I'm guessing it comes down to the NFL offering Chunt enough money to give up a home game because I don't see KC ever getting a Super Bowl. That's a fucking pipe dream.

Discuss Thrower
11-06-2014, 09:59 PM

Good things if the league wasn't trying to do the whole "player safety" thing.

Elwaysux
11-06-2014, 10:29 PM
Mrs. ElwaySux and me are making our plans already. Only a six hour flight to London so we'll be there and eat some horrible British food.

Buck
11-06-2014, 10:36 PM
Nice, so Goodell has resorted to extortion to get these games played. I'm guessing it comes down to the NFL offering Chunt enough money to give up a home game because I don't see KC ever getting a Super Bowl. That's a ****ing pipe dream.

Super Bowl isn't the only reason teams would want to do this. I'm sure the international exposure and sale of memorabilia is a cash cow.

Discuss Thrower
11-06-2014, 10:36 PM

And how is that a good thing for Chiefs fans in general and STHs in particular?

UKMike
11-07-2014, 02:26 AM
I understand completely why local Chiefs fans might be pissed, but this is great for me!

Direckshun
11-07-2014, 02:34 AM
I understand completely why local Chiefs fans might be pissed, but this is great for me!

:thumb:

Schnitzel
11-07-2014, 02:50 AM
I was at the Lions-Falcons game in London two weeks ago. I did not expect that much hype. NFL's popularity is rapidly growing in Europe and the NFL is making tons of money with it. You even had to wait around 30 minutes to get into the fan store they set up outside the stadium.

I just don't know if its a good idea to give up the home field advantage. I mean, if you are the Jags or the Raiders and can't sell out a single game, ok than it's fine. But I don't know about the Chiefs.

Direckshun
11-07-2014, 04:27 AM
The 2015 schedule, as far as we know:

Home
Broncos
Raiders
Chargers
Bears
Lions*
Browns
Steelers
Dolphins (my projected 2nd place AFCE team)

Away
Broncos
Raiders
Chargers
Vikings
Packers
Bengals
Ravens
Texans (my projected 2nd place AFCS team)

That ain't no cakewalk. I think the Chiefs have it in them to be a Super Bowl competitive team in 2015, and this is the schedule they'll have to do it with.

We're going to need wins, and a lot of them. It shouldn't matter, with a team as potentially as good as ours, where we get them.

chiefzilla1501
11-07-2014, 11:12 AM
I was at the Lions-Falcons game in London two weeks ago. I did not expect that much hype. NFL's popularity is rapidly growing in Europe and the NFL is making tons of money with it. You even had to wait around 30 minutes to get into the fan store they set up outside the stadium.

I just don't know if its a good idea to give up the home field advantage. I mean, if you are the Jags or the Raiders and can't sell out a single game, ok than it's fine. But I don't know about the Chiefs.

The only reason anyone would think this is a good idea is because it makes money for the already rich owners and the NFL.

It is a terrible, terrible ideas for all the reasons that can and should matter. It completely throws off competitive balance, it dicks over fans, taxpayers, and businesses that are in the city. There are a lot of different ways to do this without having to take away home games.