PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Eric Berry

penbrook
10-26-2014, 05:10 PM
I say once he comes back he will have to earn his spot back just like cooper and Stephenson. Parker has been a absolute beast at safety for us.

lewdog
10-26-2014, 05:12 PM
TSDR

(too stupid didn't read)

ThaVirus
10-26-2014, 05:12 PM
At this point I wouldn't be mad if he were the 4th safety coming off the bench for his first game back. Ease him into it a bit.

He still needs to start and play significant snaps by the end of the year. He could potentially take this defense to the next level.

Rasputin
10-26-2014, 05:16 PM
If he can stay healthy he can come in right away and contribute and take his spot back.

What is going be interesting is just how is Sutton going use him?

Also I am surprised our D is doing this good with out DJ I think he is the bigger loss but this defense is playing sound right now.

Wallcrawler
10-26-2014, 05:16 PM
Bring him back at Inside LB.

fairladyZ
10-26-2014, 05:17 PM
http://www.worldofstock.com/slides/WOS14078.jpg

thabear04
Any word on Josh Mauga he hurt his hammy.

Dunerdr
I'd like to think that because we seem fair set at safety hell get to be a true gadget player in the box or back deep delivering big hits from the middle. A guy with his skills is going to be hard to game plan for if you don't know where he's gonna be lined up at. It's the perfect storm.

jonzie04
10-26-2014, 05:19 PM
I'd start him at SS, I love parker at FS, former corner with 4.3 speed with ridiculous range. I really, really like abdullah, so they have to find ways to get him on the field but no way you start abdullah over berry and remove parker from fs.... jesus christ he closed that gap fast to sack davis. showed great instincts on that play too, he saw the guy underneath was covered, and just took off for the qb.

Why Not?
10-26-2014, 05:21 PM
TSDR

(too stupid didn't read)

This

penbrook
10-26-2014, 05:22 PM
Parker is young too only his 4th season in the league. Tons of room for improvement

BigCatDaddy
10-26-2014, 05:23 PM
TSDR

(too stupid didn't read)

This is that thread you wish you didn't click on.

rabblerouser
10-26-2014, 05:29 PM

Truth.

TribalElder
10-26-2014, 05:30 PM
http://www.worldofstock.com/slides/WOS14078.jpg

ROFL ROFL :LOL:

KCrockaholic
10-26-2014, 05:50 PM
All the dumbasses are out riding Parkers dick like he's the second coming of Ronnie Lott. Jesus christ. He's an average safety, and a bad corner. Luckily he's played decent while Berry has been down. But I'll check back when Parker has three pro bowls and can actually stuff the run like Berry. Let's not forget in week 1 when the entire team sucked ass, Berry led the team in tackles and did the best he could with the shit being thrown at him.

BandwagonChiefsFan
10-26-2014, 05:56 PM
Trade Berry for another elite player

xztop123
10-26-2014, 05:59 PM
Anyone ever notice how when they actually put a corner at safety it almost always works?

milkman
10-26-2014, 06:04 PM
Anyone ever notice how when they actually put a corner at safety it almost always works?

I may be mis-remembering, but thought that Parker was a safety that the Chiefs tried to convert to corner.

thabear04
10-26-2014, 06:05 PM
I may be mis-remembering, but thought that Parker was a safety that the Chiefs tried to convert to corner.

I think he was a Safety when he came to KC.

ChiefAshhole20
10-26-2014, 06:07 PM
Let him roam around like Polamalu, no reason you have to remove anyone. Let him have his instincts take over and continue to keep Abdullah and Parker at their spots they've already proven to be successful at. This team routinely brought out 3 safeties last year, no reason to shy away from that strategy now, especially with Fleming, Gaines, and Cooper being either inconsistent/hurt.

Rausch
10-26-2014, 06:08 PM
Trade Berry for another elite player

jonzie04
10-26-2014, 06:09 PM
played safety in college. he's always played corner in the nfl.

Wallcrawler
10-26-2014, 09:46 PM

God.

I hope you're mistaken. How many times do the Chiefs need to fail at that before they realize it just doesn't work?

You would think William Bartee would have galvanized the entire organization into NEVER attempting that bullshit again.

Eric Warfield was barely serviceable as a converted safety going over to corner. He couldn't even make it onto the field in Belichick's dime defense when he finally washed out of KC and went over to NE.

So bad when you look at it. This dude was our #1 cornerback and he couldn't even make the roster as the #4 corner for a team with its head out of its ass.

The Bad Guy
10-26-2014, 10:05 PM
All the dumbasses are out riding Parkers dick like he's the second coming of Ronnie Lott. Jesus christ. He's an average safety, and a bad corner. Luckily he's played decent while Berry has been down. But I'll check back when Parker has three pro bowls and can actually stuff the run like Berry. Let's not forget in week 1 when the entire team sucked ass, Berry led the team in tackles and did the best he could with the shit being thrown at him.

I don't see the problem with giving credit where credit is due.

Parker has been outstanding. That's no slight on Berry.

Having 4 safeties that can do multiple things is a good problem to have.

Sutton has been lights out with the exception of the Tennessee game.

Wallcrawler
10-26-2014, 10:08 PM
Sutton has been lights out with the exception of the Tennessee game.

The entire coaching staff shit the bed in that Tennessee game. Couple that with the shellshock of losing DJ and DeVito for the season, we had no chance to win that football game.

staylor26
10-26-2014, 10:12 PM

This is a league where a FS like Kendrick Lewis has a year like he did last year and gets signed to be a starter elsewhere the following year. Not a lot of talent at the FS position in the NFL, so Parker is absolutely playing at an All-Pro level.

chiefzilla1501
10-26-2014, 10:13 PM
This is a league where a FS like Kendrick Lewis has a year like he did last year and gets signed to be a starter elsewhere the following year. Not a lot of talent at the FS position in the NFL, so Parker is absolutely playing at an All-Pro level.

Kendrick Lewis was signed because of nepotism. Not because there's a drain in free safety talent.

thabear04
10-26-2014, 11:40 PM
Kendrick Lewis was signed because of nepotism. Not because there's a drain in free safety talent.

He even beat out chris Clemons.

BlackOp
10-26-2014, 11:44 PM

Yep...Romeo needed someone to run his shit in year one.

Rasputin
10-26-2014, 11:51 PM
I just think our defense got better by subtracting K. Lewis from the roster.

Now we can add Eric Berry back when he is ready to play and this defense is only going get better.

Don't know why it is taking Berry so long to get healthy is a concern.

DaneMcCloud
10-26-2014, 11:51 PM
This season has proved, once and for all, that Eric Berry IS NOT an elite safety and undeserving of $10 million per year.

Spend that fucking money on Houston, Bailey, etc.

Fuck Eric Berry.

MeatRock
10-26-2014, 11:56 PM
I can't say i disagree here. If Dorsey doesn't lock up Houston and Bailey then he is one dumb motherfucker.

MotherfuckerJones
10-27-2014, 12:05 AM
Would anyone be mad if we traded Berry in a blockbuster deal for a WR in the offseason?

I love me some Berry but this D is doing well without him. I'll be happy to have him back soon.

DaneMcCloud
10-27-2014, 12:08 AM
Would anyone be mad if we traded Berry in a blockbuster deal for a WR in the offseason?

I love me some Berry but this D is doing well without him. I'll be happy to have him back soon.

Maybe I'm missing something but won't he be a UFA after five years of service?

BlackOp
10-27-2014, 12:13 AM

The question is does KC need a top shelf WR in this system? I want some bad-ass LBs...and a shut down CB. If the play is Smith being an uber-effeicient, ball control QB..then I want KC to go after the best interior defense in the league.

KC should have gone after Golden Tate....they fucked up on that.

Iconic
10-27-2014, 12:35 AM
We haven't even seen how this D looks with Berry. I swear CP has 0 chill.

DaneMcCloud
10-27-2014, 12:38 AM
We haven't even seen how this D looks with Berry. I swear CP has 0 chill.

Berry has never been a cover safety. He's great in the box as a run supporter and has ineffectively covered tight ends as a linebacker on passing downs, but he is in no way, shape or form, a $10.8 million a year guy.

Fuck that.

Iconic
10-27-2014, 12:54 AM
Berry has never been a cover safety. He's great in the box as a run supporter and has ineffectively covered tight ends as a linebacker on passing downs, but he is in no way, shape or form, a $10.8 million a year guy.

**** that.

Go through his 2013 game log, take a look at the TE's he faced and what he held them to... Berry is almost always money.

Mr. Flopnuts
10-27-2014, 01:03 AM
Didn't he and Jamaal suffer the same injury at the same time? I mean, I understand that Jamaal was Superman with his recovery, but I don't think any of us thought that would mean Eric would be Clark fucking Kent!

The Bad Guy
10-27-2014, 04:42 AM
Maybe I'm missing something but won't he be a UFA after five years of service?

Signed a 6 year deal in 2010.

Wait, Dane?

Holy fuck, welcome back.

O.city
10-27-2014, 06:48 AM
I don't think he will get anywhere close to 10 mil per.

More like 7

Direckshun
10-27-2014, 06:59 AM
5 safeties the Eagles could target including Eric Berry, Charles Woodson, Dawan Landry (http://www.nj.com/eagles/index.ssf/2014/10/5_safeties_the_eagles_could_target_including_eric_berry_charles_woodson_dawan_landry.html) from NJ.com:

ERIC BERRY: It may take a hefty price tag to pry the Kansas City Chiefs' 25-year-old safety away, but he certainly would solidify the Eagles' secondary. A former first-round pick, Berry is currently battling an ankle injury but has 15 tackles in just two games this season. Perhaps with their playoff chances fading, Andy Reid would pick up Howie Roseman's call.

Imon Yourside
10-27-2014, 07:01 AM
5 safeties the Eagles could target including Eric Berry, Charles Woodson, Dawan Landry (http://www.nj.com/eagles/index.ssf/2014/10/5_safeties_the_eagles_could_target_including_eric_berry_charles_woodson_dawan_landry.html) from NJ.com:

Perhaps with their playoff chances fading, Andy Reid would pick up Howie Roseman's call.

HUH?

notorious
10-27-2014, 07:27 AM
Perhaps with their playoff chances fading, Andy Reid would pick up Howie Roseman's call.

HUH?

New Jersey writer.

Nothing exists west of Philly.

penbrook
10-27-2014, 07:51 AM
So our playoff chances are fading??

The Eagles only have 1 more win than we do

notorious
10-27-2014, 07:52 AM
So our playoff chances are fading??

The Eagles only have 1 more win than we do

They got very lucky in a few of those games. Similar to our run last year.

I know their line was beat up, but Kelly has not impressed me this season. He has made some absolutely moronic decisions.

BossChief
10-27-2014, 07:59 AM
I'd be tempted to trade Berry for a player like Maclin if they throw in a conditional pick to offset another major injury

RunKC
10-27-2014, 08:04 AM
Trade Berry for a 2nd and 4th. Use those picks to move up and draft Kevin White. Profit

O.city
10-27-2014, 08:17 AM
With as much improvement as the other defensive players have shown in their 2nd year in Suttons scheme, I'm anxious to see what Berry could can do in it.

He had 15 tackles in 2 games lest we forget and they were playing him in coverage more iirc.

RunKC
10-27-2014, 08:23 AM
If Berry isn't covering (or can't) in single high, than why would we pay 7+ million to him?
If that is the case than he is essentially a better version of Bernard Pollard here I.e. another LB in the box.

Hope he becomes a good single high, but if not we're okay. Very surprised that Ron Parker has done such a nice job there.

jonzie04
10-27-2014, 08:33 AM
With as much improvement as the other defensive players have shown in their 2nd year in Suttons scheme, I'm anxious to see what Berry could can do in it.

He had 15 tackles in 2 games lest we forget and they were playing him in coverage more iirc.

Basically one game as he went down the other. He was the only guy who showed up to play against the titans. You guys are goinh overboard with this trade berry stuff. The only way id trade him would be for another all pro player not even in their prime.. navarro bowman, luke kuechly...a nd those teams would never get rid of those guys.

Rausch
10-27-2014, 08:34 AM
Basically one game as he went down the other. He was the only guy who showed up to play against the titans. You guys are goinh overboard with this trade berry stuff. The only way id trade him would be for another all pro player not even in their prime.. navarro bowman, luke kuechly...a nd those teams would never get rid of those guys.

You don't trade your young studs...

jonzie04
10-27-2014, 08:41 AM
One more thing, berry is a playmaker in every area on the field. hes forced quite a few turnovers, and did score more tds last year than our wr corps has this year.

And I agree rausch^

Rausch
10-27-2014, 08:42 AM
One more thing, berry is a playmaker in every area on the field. hes forced quite a few turnovers, and did score more tds last year than our wr corps has this year.

Yup.

And we need him even more now with DJ out...

raybec 4
10-27-2014, 08:44 AM
With as much time as Coleman and McCrea have been getting, finding Berry, Abdullah and Parker all plenty of snaps shouldn't be an issue

Eleazar
10-27-2014, 08:46 AM
Berry does not lose his job due to injury, any such suggestion is nonsense. But like others are saying, we can't pay him like a top safety unless he becomes a more complete player and can stay healthy. IMO

WhiteWhale
10-27-2014, 08:52 AM

**** that.

Citation please.

Yeah, ineffectively.

Except that statistically he's one of the best at covering TE's.

philfree
10-27-2014, 09:01 AM
Berry's talented and I'd like to see him come back and play great but it almost seems like our D plays better as a team when he's out. I don't know that he'll get his big contract in KC when the time comes so if we have a bevy of draft picks in 2015 then we might consider spending one or two on his replacement. Sad but probably true.

O.city
10-27-2014, 09:05 AM
I'm going to refer to sorter on this, but based on what he's informed about this defense, we ask our safeties to be extremely versatile and play multiple things from down to down.

Seems berry is pretty great fit in that. TE defense has played great in his stead, but I'm gonna reserve judgement until I see him get more play in this scheme. They were very high on him in the offseason.

ThaVirus
10-27-2014, 09:43 AM
Citation please.

Yeah, ineffectively.

Except that statistically he's one of the best at covering TE's.

He won't have one.

Dane, like so many others on this board, is stuck in 2010.

thabear04
10-27-2014, 11:25 AM

Berry had 15 tackles in one game.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/gamelog/_/id/13252/eric-berry

BWillie
10-27-2014, 12:14 PM

Perhaps, but Berry is pretty overrated. Not saying Parker is better than him, but would he get as much credit if he didn't arrive with his notoriety he received out of college? If his name wasn't Eric Berry, I doubt he makes all those probowls...

ChiefsChoke010414
10-27-2014, 12:28 PM

Compared to Kendrick Lewis and Demps, he is Ronnie Lott.

It's hard to understate how much Lewis and Demps hurt this team last year with their poor angles and lack of awareness.

RINGLEADER
10-27-2014, 12:30 PM
It may seem counter-intuitive to sit someone like Berry but after facing Locker (#30), Peyton (#1), Brady (#5), Tannehill (#25), Kaepernick (#14), Rivers (#3), and Austin Smith (#17) we have the #1 passing defense.

Does Berry make us worse? Doubtful, but why take a chance?

Easy 6
10-27-2014, 04:25 PM
I'd start him at SS, I love parker at FS, former corner with 4.3 speed with ridiculous range. I really, really like abdullah, so they have to find ways to get him on the field but no way you start abdullah over berry and remove parker from fs.... jesus christ he closed that gap fast to sack davis. showed great instincts on that play too, he saw the guy underneath was covered, and just took off for the qb.

Yeah, I'm really starting to like Parker at FS.

I believe it was Sorter that said we should keep all three out there but I forget what it was called.

ThaVirus
10-27-2014, 04:34 PM
Yeah, I'm really starting to like Parker at FS.

I believe it was Sorter that said we should keep all three out there but I forget what it was called.

Our nickel defense last season featured a lot of three safety looks.

We might be better suited bringing either JMJ or Mauga off the field in those subpackages anyway. Not that I want our star safety in the box while nursing an injury, but...

Easy 6
10-27-2014, 04:38 PM
Our nickel defense last season featured a lot of three safety looks.

We might be better suited bringing either JMJ or Mauga off the field in those subpackages anyway. Not that I want our star safety in the box while nursing an injury, but...

Lets roll with it, it keeps three very talented players on the field.

And with Berry being the thumper he is, it isnt as susceptible to the run as a typical nickel.

ThaVirus
10-27-2014, 04:45 PM

And with Berry being the thumper he is, it isnt as susceptible to the run as a typical nickel.

Actually, I think replacing a LB with a S would tend to make you more susceptible to the run. But if you're in the nickel, you're probably expecting a pass so by taking out a slow LB and replacing him with a more athletic safety you can better defend the pass.

Since we've been nails against the pass this season and not-so-good against the run, maybe putting Berry back in the box wouldn't be such a good idea.

KCrockaholic
10-27-2014, 05:50 PM
Based off the opening statement in this thread, no. The answer is no.

Parker has not been a "beast", and Berry shouldn't have to "earn" is position back like Stephenson especially considering Stephenson has to "earn" his position back because he decided to be a ****head and get suspended. We still haven't see the best of Eric Berry and that's saying something, because most of you have already forgotten all the great things Berry HAS done for this team. I'm no longer entertaining the thoughts of this thread.

Saccopoo
10-27-2014, 05:53 PM

No, this is that thread...

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=287853

Hydrae
10-27-2014, 06:34 PM

So, a 3-3-5 D?

ModSocks
10-27-2014, 07:13 PM
Based off the opening statement in this thread, no. The answer is no.

Parker has not been a "beast", and Berry shouldn't have to "earn" is position back like Stephenson especially considering Stephenson has to "earn" his position back because he decided to be a ****head and get suspended. We still haven't see the best of Eric Berry and that's saying something, because most of you have already forgotten all the great things Berry HAS done for this team. I'm no longer entertaining the thoughts of this thread.

This right here.

He's an All Pro/Pro Bowler. So NFL players, coaches and media believe he's one of the best at his position right now.

But on CP, he's overrated and can be replaced with Ron fucking Parker.

A few good wins and you guys lose your goddamn minds.

Sorter
10-27-2014, 07:14 PM
So, a 3-3-5 D?

LMAO

O.city
10-27-2014, 07:17 PM
LMAO

Thoughts on Berry?

Sorter
10-27-2014, 07:21 PM
Thoughts on Berry?

I suspect he'll be eased back into base fronts/groupings and spend the majority of his snaps at safety with Parker in our 2-3-6 with Abdullah continuing to play ITB.

Tribal Warfare
10-27-2014, 08:03 PM
IMO, the longer Berry's out his contract leverage will lessen and it'll be more likely that the Chiefs will sign Houston in an expedient time frame.

I like Berry, but it is what it is.

The Bad Guy
10-27-2014, 08:18 PM
With the way Sutton utilized Demps last year, and with how much play Coleman has gotten, they can find room for Parker, Abdullah and Berry.

I don't know why this is a bad problem to have.

Ragged Robin
10-27-2014, 08:20 PM
unless Berry comes back and absolutely kills it, I'm not convinced he is that critical of a piece in this defense, Parker and Abdullah have been doing an above average job these last couple of weeks

Chiefshrink
10-27-2014, 08:27 PM
unless Berry comes back and absolutely kills it,

don't think he will kill it. High ankle sprains just hang on and never really heal fully until the off season. I say he will be getting limited snaps for the rest of the season.

TimeForWasp
10-28-2014, 12:39 AM
I think too much credit is going to the DBs. I think the big improvement is up front on the line and this makes any DBs look better. We will be even better with Berry back there.

DaneMcCloud
10-28-2014, 12:46 AM
With the way Sutton utilized Demps last year, and with how much play Coleman has gotten, they can find room for Parker, Abdullah and Berry.

I don't know why this is a bad problem to have.

I'm sure Sutton will figure something out but I think he's played his way out of KC. There's no way Dorsey should pay $9 million plus for Berry, especially with the play of Ron Parker, Abdullah and Coleman.

Hell, Cooper would be a good candidate at safety.

DaneMcCloud
10-28-2014, 12:47 AM
I think too much credit is going to the DBs. I think the big improvement is up front on the line and this makes any DBs look better. We will be even better with Berry back there.

Berry has never been a Single High safety and he's much better in run support than in the passing game.

And you're smoking crack if you don't think the secondary is playing lights out.

Direckshun
10-28-2014, 12:49 AM
I think it's very possible that Phillip Gaines is starting on the outside by the time Chris Owens comes back.

Gaines gave up 0 receptions on 5 targets from Philip fucking Rivers, and Gaines played 45 snaps against the Rams, and I'm not sure if he was ever targeted.

ThaVirus
10-28-2014, 12:59 AM
My main concern is whether or not Parker, Abdullah and Coleman's stellar play is sustainable.

These guys, with the exception of Abdullah, have been in the league for a while and have never really been better than average. Now they're a huge part of the best pass defense in the league.

What happens when we let Berry go and Parker regresses?

DaneMcCloud
10-28-2014, 01:17 AM
My main concern is whether or not Parker, Abdullah and Coleman's stellar play is sustainable.

These guys, with the exception of Abdullah, have been in the league for a while and have never really been better than average. Now they're a huge part of the best pass defense in the league.

What happens when we let Berry go and Parker regresses?

So your answer is to overpay $9 million dollars to a safety that doesn't even fit the scheme?

:doh!:

The answer is to continue to draft, develop and add players to your roster. Justin Houston deserves $10 million plus per year, if not more.

Eric Berry does not.

TimeForWasp
10-28-2014, 01:20 AM
Berry has never been a Single High safety and he's much better in run support than in the passing game.

And you're smoking crack if you don't think the secondary is playing lights out.

They are playing good. But the Line and pass rush is helping them a whole bunch.

ThaVirus
10-28-2014, 01:29 AM
So your answer is to overpay $9 million dollars to a safety that doesn't even fit the scheme?

:doh!:

The answer is to continue to draft, develop and add players to your roster. Justin Houston deserves $10 million plus per year, if not more.

Eric Berry does not.

He doesn't fit the scheme? That's news to me. Last I checked he was one of our best players in year one of this exact same scheme.

IIRC, Earl Thomas got $10, Byrd somewhere around $8, Chancellor, Ward and Whitner all got somewhere from $6-7. Berry isn't going to get a single cent more than $10 for sure and likely only somewhere around $8-9.

If you've watched this season you can see that safety play is pretty important for this defense. I'm saying it may not be such a bad idea to extend your 25 year old All-Pro guy instead of letting him walk and praying your JAGs that are performing well now continue to do so.

DaneMcCloud
10-28-2014, 01:31 AM
They are playing good. But the Line and pass rush is helping them a whole bunch.

The defensive line has improved, even with the loss of DeVito. JMJ and Mauga have also been playing very well and I expect Joe Mays to elevate their play even further.

Even more so, the secondary has to date not given up the huge plays it was giving up last year, which is certainly a bonus.

DaneMcCloud
10-28-2014, 01:35 AM
He doesn't fit the scheme? That's news to me. Last I checked he was one of our best players in year one of this exact same scheme.

IIRC, Earl Thomas got $10, Byrd somewhere around $8, Chancellor, Ward and Whitner all got somewhere from $6-7. Berry isn't going to get a single cent more than $10 for sure and likely only somewhere around $8-9.

If you've watched this season you can see that safety play is pretty important for this defense. I'm saying it may not be such a bad idea to extend your 25 year old All-Pro guy instead of letting him walk and praying your JAGs that are performing well now continue to do so.

Personally, I don't think you're watching the same player as I am.

Berry was moved to LB on third down last year and was repeatedly burned by tight ends. He could never cover Antonio Gates or Julius Thomas. The secondary gave up so many big plays last year it wasn't even funny.

Furthermore, you're wrong. Berry played SS last year, not Single High (like Earl Thomas). Single High was manned by a bunch if scrubs, although Abdullah played it well at times.

The fact is that Berry does not play the pass well and doesn't t fit the scheme. He's a box safety and nothing more.

ThaVirus
10-28-2014, 09:06 AM

Berry was moved to LB on third down last year and was repeatedly burned by tight ends. He could never cover Antonio Gates or Julius Thomas. The secondary gave up so many big plays last year it wasn't even funny.

Furthermore, you're wrong. Berry played SS last year, not Single High (like Earl Thomas). Single High was manned by a bunch if scrubs, although Abdullah played it well at times.

The fact is that Berry does not play the pass well and doesn't t fit the scheme. He's a box safety and nothing more.

I never said Berry played single high.

Gates had 3 catches for 21 yards with Berry covering him last season.

In two games, Julius Thomas only had 1 TD with Berry covering him.

Berry held Jason Witten to 12 yards on 3 catches.

I think you're wrong. Berry showed last year that he's actually very good at man coverage as well as rushing the passer and stuffing the run. He is elite.

Marcellus
10-28-2014, 09:47 AM

Berry was very solid in coverage on TE's last year. Chiefs gave up the 2nd fewest yards and TD's to the TE if I recall correctly.

That being said the only way he stays after this season is at a good price IMO.

I am anxious to see how he plays when he comes back.

ModSocks
10-28-2014, 09:59 AM
Berry was very solid in coverage on TE's last year. Chiefs gave up the 2nd fewest yards and TD's to the TE if I recall correctly.

That being said the only way he stays after this season is at a good price IMO.

I am anxious to see how he plays when he comes back.

Why after this season? It's not like his contract is up. He signed a 6 year deal as a rookie.

Marcellus
10-28-2014, 10:01 AM
Why after this season? It's not like his contract is up. He signed a 6 year deal as a rookie.

I guess he has 1.5 seasons to show what he is worth.

penbrook
10-28-2014, 10:02 AM
I think it's very possible that Phillip Gaines is starting on the outside by the time Chris Owens comes back.

Gaines gave up 0 receptions on 5 targets from Philip ****ing Rivers, and Gaines played 45 snaps against the Rams, and I'm not sure if he was ever targeted.

Gaines replaced Fleming once he was injured. I only remember 1 pass that was completed to his side and that was in garbage time. 9 yard reception but could of easily been incomplete. I actually think we got the steal of the draft in Gaines. He will be starting next week count it. He's been getting better and better each week

WhiteWhale
10-28-2014, 10:02 AM
This right here.

He's an All Pro/Pro Bowler. So NFL players, coaches and media believe he's one of the best at his position right now.

But on CP, he's overrated and can be replaced with Ron ****ing Parker.

A few good wins and you guys lose your goddamn minds.

I keep saying it.

This is why we can't have nice things. Same people were actually MAD we resigned the best player on our team and celebrated losing a quality CB like we unloaded William Bartee.

ModSocks
10-28-2014, 10:03 AM
Even more so, the secondary has to date not given up the huge plays it was giving up last year, which is certainly a bonus.

Kendrick Lewis.

And Sean Smith is having a much better season than last as well.

Cooper is still a whipping boy, but he appears to have been dealt with.

WhiteWhale
10-28-2014, 10:04 AM
So your answer is to overpay $9 million.

Eric Berry made all pro with an outstanding season in the scheme he doesn't fit.

You guys are out of your minds.

ModSocks
10-28-2014, 10:06 AM

In two games, Julius Thomas only had 1 TD with Berry covering him.

Berry held Jason Witten to 12 yards on 3 catches.

I think you're wrong. Berry showed last year that he's actually very good at man coverage as well as rushing the passer and stuffing the run. He is elite.

People will see whatever they want to see, even if it doesn't line up with facts.

Ron Parker makes an interception for the first time ever in his career (guessing, but im probably right) and all of a sudden you can simply replace a multiple All Pro safety.

Winning fucks with people's heads just as much as losing does.

ModSocks
10-28-2014, 10:08 AM
I keep saying it.

This is why we can't have nice things. Same people were actually MAD we resigned the best player on our team and celebrated losing a quality CB like we unloaded William Bartee.

Some people are victims of their own heads. They fancy themselves as being football educated, so much to the point that they over analyze and take things for granted.

Eric Berry is highly regarded in pretty much all football circles except for the Chiefsplanet football circle.

ModSocks
10-28-2014, 10:15 AM

Oh yeah? Well the Chiefs held him to 3 Catches for 61 yards and a TD w/o him. Take that!

#RonParker

WhiteWhale
10-28-2014, 10:15 AM
People will see whatever they want to see, even if it doesn't line up with facts.

Ron Parker makes an interception for the first time ever in his career (guessing, but im probably right) and all of a sudden you can simply replace a multiple All Pro safety.

Winning ****s with people's heads just as much as losing does.

He had a few last season.

Frankly I get excited thinking about how good this D will be when we get our all pro strong safety back. The one who's younger, more athletic, and better in every aspect of football than Ron Parker.

ModSocks
10-28-2014, 10:22 AM
He had a few last season.

Frankly I get excited thinking about how good this D will be when we get our all pro strong safety back. The one who's younger, more athletic, and better in every aspect of football than Ron Parker.

Same.

Im excited that Ron Parker is playing well enough and that Abdullah is living up to the expectations we placed on him. Throwing in in your BEST safety will only make this defense that much more versatile.

Anyway.....people seem to be hung up on Berry's contract and coming out with the "But we have to pay Houston!" stuff. I agree, the Chiefs have to pay Houston. And they will.....but what does that have to do with Berry?

The cap will increase substantially next season and you do w/e it takes to sign your best players. Guys like Bowe and maybe even Sean Smith will need to restructure. Guys like Devito will be released and maybe even Hali, and guys like Baily won't be expensive to re-sign.

Cap doesn't seem like a good enough excuse to cut your best defensive back.

ThaVirus
10-28-2014, 10:32 AM
Oh yeah? Well the Chiefs held him to 3 Catches for 61 yards and a TD w/o him. Take that!

#RonParker

Heh.

But "Gates used to own him in his rookie season!"

Mr. Laz
10-28-2014, 10:36 AM

#RonParker
That was a heck of an interception by Parker

over-the-shoulder catch

I wonder if he can play wide receiver? :D

O.city
10-28-2014, 02:39 PM
Most pass breakups by a safety, 2012-14:
Eric Berry 18
Glover Quin 18
Mark Barron 17*
*3 this season

Espn stats on twitter

Direckshun
10-29-2014, 12:45 AM
http://www.foxsports.com/kansas-city/story/3-in-the-kee-you-just-can-t-stop-santos-parker-or-the-power-of-toub-102714

Is it wrong for me not to want Eric Berry to rush back from his ankle problems?

Don't beat yourself up. Ron Parker isn't a Pro Bowl safety, but the journeyman has shown incredible comfort and fit as a center fielder of sorts in defensive coordinator Bob Sutton's press-man scheme. The former Newberry College standout has appeared more comfortable in space than he was as a cornerback, where he concentrated on a receiver or a chunk of the sideline. Parker closes like crazy, is a pretty solid tackler for a smaller defender and has the instincts to generally be in the right place at the right time.

He and fellow safety Husain Abdullah were burned early on a 43-yard Kenny Britt catch on the Rams' first drive of the day, but pretty much locked things down after that. Parker's leaping interception on a floater up the right boundary in the first quarter -- his first of the campaign -- started to take the wind out of Austin Davis' deep game, and his first sack of 2014 was huge: With roughly six minutes left in the half, deep in Chiefs territory, the game still tied 7-7, it forced the visitors into a 38-yard field-goal attempt that went wide right.

"That's what great defenses do," said Parker, who also recorded four tackles, a pass breakup and a quarterback pressure against St. Louis. "With a change of momentum, a change of the game like (the Rams' fumble recovery), when it's a turnover inside the 10, some defenses just come out there with a mentality to just lie down and let a team score. But over here if you give us an inch, we're going to take advantage of it and try to get the ball back for you."

J Diddy
10-29-2014, 01:40 AM
Honestly it sucks that one of the bright spots in our secondary is a guy replacing a probowler who may/may not be capable of doing the things he does.

Direckshun
10-29-2014, 01:44 AM
Honestly it sucks that one of the bright spots in our secondary is a guy replacing a probowler who may/may not be capable of doing the things he does.

Eric Berry is the highest cap hit on the Chiefs roster in 2014.

OldSchool
10-29-2014, 01:44 AM
Is Eric Berry the most expendable star on the team right now?

Direckshun
10-29-2014, 01:56 AM
Is Eric Berry the most expendable star on the team right now?

I have a hard time thinking of one more expendable.

Direckshun
10-29-2014, 01:58 AM
At one point, I might have argued that Sean Smith was more expendable, but look at how he's played this year.

milkman
10-29-2014, 06:49 AM

Good to see you posting again, Dane, even if you are clueless.