PDA

View Full Version : Football Football Players are not Disposable Assets

Direckshun
10-28-2014, 03:29 AM
http://www.boltsfromtheblue.com/2014/10/24/7063443/football-players-are-not-disposable-assets

Football Players are not Disposable Assets
Jahleel Addae’s injury last night was a wake-up call. For NFL fans, it’s becoming increasingly difficult to love a game which shows so little concern for the players which make it all possible.
By Jeff (sliderockmpc) @JeffSiniard
on Oct 24 2014, 1:00p

I didn’t notice the plays as they happened. It was early in the 4th Quarter, after I was three beers in and screaming at the TV when the referees hosed Eric Weddle on a goal line interception. That's when I saw the second hit which left Chargers’ SS Jahleel Addae seriously impaired on Twitter. I re-watched the play a few times, mostly because I wanted to be sure what I was seeing. Yes, I understand that Addae was diagnosed with stingers and not concussions.

My interest in the outcome of the game dissipated after viewing the play. I felt dirty. I felt dirty wearing a San Diego Chargers jersey. I felt dirty continuing to watch the game. I felt dirty thinking about how I’m going to get smoked in Fantasy Football again this week because I can’t field healthy lineups. I felt dirty thinking about the "Next Man Up" mantra, and everything it implies.

I thought back to Kris Dielman, and the PBS special I watched about how the NFL handled the concussion issue. I thought about how Mike Shanahan allowed Robert Griffin III back onto the field of a playoff game. I remembered Kevin Mawae’s hit on Shawne Merriman – a hit which essentially destroyed a potential Hall-of-Fame career.

For the first time ever, I seriously considered quitting football completely. For one reason above all others – football players are disposable assets.

They are disposable assets to the team they play for, they are disposable assets to players on other teams, they are disposable assets upon which tremendous amounts of wealth are generated for very small groups of people, and they are disposable assets to fans, unless they produce winning teams and huge stats for what’s essentially a computer game.

I hate all of this – I was raised in a football loving family, and I hate how the NFL, its teams, owners, some of its players, and many of its fans have come to view the players which make it possible as disposable.

--

Back to the image of Addae staggering around on the field, with what was diagnosed as a neck stinger. It amazes me that no one on the field, nor anyone on either sideline, stopped what they were doing and got him the hell off the field immediately. The fact that he suffered a huge hit earlier in the game, which appeared very serious, made it even worse.

I fully understand the desperation of the player to play. Never mind the negative reinforcement like the kind I described above. Imagine the feeling of letting someone in your family down, multiplied by an entire roster and coaching staff. No words need to be said, no shady machinations of the Bud Kilmer variety are required. All it takes is an exasperated sigh from the defensive coordinator, or a glimpse of the replacement player getting beat for a touchdown, or an eye roll from a teammate to feel the crushing disappointment.

Now, add in the fear which comes from watching your replacement perform well. The desperation which comes with proving you, and not the guy next to you or behind you, are the best option. The fear which comes when you’re hurt and watching someone else do your job… and do it well. Imagine seeing the nodding and smiling of coaches when they see a solution to your injury, which doesn’t involve you getting healthy immediately. The paranoia which comes from thinking you might be getting your last paycheck, and the desperation with which you’ll act to protect that paycheck – especially an undrafted rookie on a small contract. Who’s holding you off the field? Would you say whatever you had to say to get back on the field?

---

Everyone is at fault.

Addae was not kept off the field, and he very clearly should have been kept off the field. This tells me one thing; some of Addae’s teammates and opponents, the Chargers as an organization, and the NFL as a league viewed him as a disposable asset. Last, as a fan who continues to watch the games, this makes me complicit in some way.

Complicit in deciding that a Human Being had no value, other than to help other people generate vast sums of money.

Some of this responsibility is on the players and the NFLPA. Players have the option to wear helmets specifically engineered to reduce to risk of concussions, but many choose not to do so. Players can wear mouth guards, but many choose not to do so. And for crying out loud, players simply have to stop hitting helmet first. It may produce big hits, but they also make serious head and neck injuries more likely, not to mention missed tackles from not wrapping up the ball carrier. And I’d be remiss if I didn’t mention players who take cheap shots at other players, under the false guises of "toughness" and "doing what it takes to win."

As for the NFL, the league could take a number of giant steps forward, but it chooses not to do so. The NFL has levied fines for wearing too much eye black, or using the football as a prop in a TD celebration. Yet the NFL does not mandate that all players wear helmets designed to reduce concussions. It does not mandate that players use mouth guards. The NFL does not ban cut-blocking. It does not kick players out of the league who willfully injure other players, and only temporarily bans coaches who actively encourage their players to hurt other players.

The NFL allows teams to hire their own doctors and training staffs – ignoring the obvious conflict of interest. The NFL chooses not to expand rosters, or allow for additional active players on game day to reduce the possibility of injured players being pushed or rushed back onto the field. The NFL wants to expand the schedule to include more games, but not more bye weeks, and persists with the horrendous Thursday night games – which don’t allow for the type of rest players need between games.

Lastly, on some level, this is also my fault. I continue to watch the games, even knowing there are elements which I don’t like. I continue to buy jerseys, even when the team I cheer for acts horrendously. I think to myself I am lucky when a Fantasy Football opponents’ team is ravaged with injured players.

Jahleel Addae’s injury last night snapped me out of my waking slumber. For me, it’s becoming increasingly difficult to love a game which shows so little concern for the players which make it all possible.

While I hope I’m wrong, and it’s a choice I haven’t yet made, I am at least forced to consider now that sometimes the best thing you can do for something you love is to walk away.

Direckshun
10-28-2014, 03:31 AM
http://www.boltsfromtheblue.com/2014/10/23/7056107/chargers-dominated-by-broncos-try-to-murder-jahleel-addae-anyway

This link has the initial hit, and a really scary Vine of a subsequent hit he took...

Wow.

He stayed in the game after both hits. I shit you not.

InChiefsHeaven
10-28-2014, 05:36 AM
To Jeff Siniard

...well...bye...

MTG#10
10-28-2014, 05:40 AM
Dumb article

BigBeauford
10-28-2014, 05:57 AM
Those poor football players who know exactly want they are getting into, and are rewarded handsomely for it. I suppose we should make a thread for every hazardous occupation now .

WhawhaWhat
10-28-2014, 06:05 AM
That dude starts walking like Frankenstein, which is appropriate given the time of year.

Deberg_1990
10-28-2014, 06:16 AM
Breaking news: football is a dangerous sport

Signed , 1953

Rain Man
10-28-2014, 06:27 AM
http://www.boltsfromtheblue.com/2014/10/23/7056107/chargers-dominated-by-broncos-try-to-murder-jahleel-addae-anyway

This link has the initial hit, and a really scary Vine of a subsequent hit he took...

Wow.

He stayed in the game after both hits. I shit you not.

On the second hit, it seems pretty clear to me that that's not a concussion. It looks like the story says: he was playing with a stinger and then hit it again. I suspect that really hurts.

cosmo20002
10-28-2014, 06:32 AM
They're just pussies.

/CP

Buehler445
10-28-2014, 06:46 AM
This is retarded for several reasons.

First, the Rookie Minimum Salary is 420,000. I take a considerable amount of personal risk for far less than that.

Second, the accountant in me cannot stand the term disposable asset. Does not exist. Can't exist, by definition

Third, fuck this motherfucker for whining about Roidman getting hit. That cocksucking sisterfucking mongoild piece of fucking rat shit picked up Holmes and dropped him on his head. And if you remember the play its pretty tough to defend it not being on purpose. FFS the dude knock named himself lights out. That fucking cum dumpster gets absolutely no sympathy from me.

mikey23545
10-28-2014, 07:01 AM
Get this metrosexual whiny-ass bullshit off the football board and post it on whatever board Ereckshun, Jizzmo20002, and others like them hang out while whispering sweet nothings to each other.

These players are paid a fortune to play a hazardous game, and having played it since childhood they know damn well the risks involved.

Prison Bitch
10-28-2014, 07:03 AM
Jizzmo2000

Perfect.

Lzen
10-28-2014, 07:52 AM
That dude starts walking like Frankenstein, which is appropriate given the time of year.

I couldn't help myself. I chuckled at this. I hope that doesn't mean I'm going to Hell.

lcarus
10-28-2014, 07:54 AM
I couldn't help myself. I chuckled at this. I hope that doesn't mean I'm going to Hell.

If that's the worst thing you've ever done, I think you'll be ok.

Lzen
10-28-2014, 07:59 AM
If that's the worst thing you've ever done, I think you'll be ok.

Lol, I didn't say that. :evil:

Why Not?
10-28-2014, 07:59 AM
Thousands of people get hurt at work daily. I'm supposed to give more of a shit about the ones that get hurt playing football? And give up the game? This article should find it's way to a cyber Ebolaids Fire.

Strongside
10-28-2014, 08:11 AM
Jesus Christ. The game is about as safe as it can be at this point. Society is turning into a bunch of sensitive, politically correct, weak ass hippies. It baffles me that no one stops to consider the fact that these guys know what they are getting themselves into by stepping onto that field. They could literally be killed. Hell, I had to sign a waiver during Monday Night Football acknowledging that I knew I COULD BE KILLED BY STANDING ON THE SIDELINE. It's no different than a man/woman stepping into the octagon in the UFC, or Floyd Mayweather stepping into the ring. It's no different than a NASCAR driver strapping their self into a machine that could, literally, kill them at any moment. It's no different than a jockey hopping onto the back of a race horse that is essentially still a wild, and unpredictable animal. It's no different than working a trade labor in dangerous conditions...these people know exactly what they are signing up for when they choose to do this for a living. Now, does that mean that their employers should not take steps to make the job safer for the employees? Not at all. But when NASCAR developed a problem with people dying on the track, they made the equipment and the tracks safer, they didn't ban the sport. And I sure as shit didn't feel 'dirty' watching a race after some of the deaths/injuries that have occurred in the past. Are some sports a bit barbaric? Yes. But that is the root of their appeal. We are barbaric by nature. If you don't want to watch the game that's been played by men who knew the risks they were taking for the last 80 years, then don't watch. It's that simple. Don't bitch to the point that you take away these guys' ability to play the game that they love, and that they are fully aware of the risks involved in. That hit, like the gif below, is the result of men who are professionals both talent-wise and fundamental-wise performing at 100% of their ability...they know what the risks are.

http://cdn2.cagepotato.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/henderson-bisping-gif.gif

Mav
10-28-2014, 08:31 AM

First, the Rookie Minimum Salary is 420,000. I take a considerable amount of personal risk for far less than that.

Second, the accountant in me cannot stand the term disposable asset. Does not exist. Can't exist, by definition

Third, fuck this motherfucker for whining about Roidman getting hit. That cocksucking sisterfucking mongoild piece of fucking rat shit picked up Holmes and dropped him on his head. And if you remember the play its pretty tough to defend it not being on purpose. FFS the dude knock named himself lights out. That fucking cum dumpster gets absolutely no sympathy from me.
I was thinking along these lines. Nfl minimum players make more in two weeks, than I made in an entire year while deployed.

Mav
10-28-2014, 08:33 AM
Jesus Christ. The game is about as safe as it can be at this point. Society is turning into a bunch of sensitive, politically correct, weak ass hippies. It baffles me that no one stops to consider the fact that these guys know what they are getting themselves into by stepping onto that field. They could literally be killed. Hell, I had to sign a waiver during Monday Night Football acknowledging that I knew I COULD BE KILLED BY STANDING ON THE SIDELINE. It's no different than a man/woman stepping into the octagon in the UFC, or Floyd Mayweather stepping into the ring. It's no different than a NASCAR driver strapping their self into a machine that could, literally, kill them at any moment. It's no different than a jockey hopping onto the back of a race horse that is essentially still a wild, and unpredictable animal. It's no different than working a trade labor in dangerous conditions...these people know exactly what they are signing up for when they choose to do this for a living. Now, does that mean that their employers should not take steps to make the job safer for the employees? Not at all. But when NASCAR developed a problem with people dying on the track, they made the equipment and the tracks safer, they didn't ban the sport. And I sure as shit didn't feel 'dirty' watching a race after some of the deaths/injuries that have occurred in the past. Are some sports a bit barbaric? Yes. But that is the root of their appeal. We are barbaric by nature. If you don't want to watch the game that's been played by men who knew the risks they were taking for the last 80 years, then don't watch. It's that simple. Don't bitch to the point that you take away these guys' ability to play the game that they love, and that they are fully aware of the risks involved in. That hit, like the gif below, is the result of men who are professionals both talent-wise and fundamental-wise performing at 100% of their ability...they know what the risks are.

http://cdn2.cagepotato.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/henderson-bisping-gif.gif
I would rep this 1000 times if I could

Direckshun
10-28-2014, 08:36 AM
I was thinking along these lines. Nfl minimum players make more in two weeks, than I made in an entire year while deployed.

Therefore... fuck 'em?

Mav
10-28-2014, 08:43 AM
Therefore... fuck 'em?
No. Not fuck em. It's just difficult to hear a fan get so over sensitive about this stuff.

I played football, I saw horrific things, I saw a teammate folded up like a pretzel and every ligament destroyed in his knee.

Not once did I consider walking away from the game.

When he was carted off the field, he didn't tell us to quit, he told is, and I quote, "you guys better win this mother fucking game."

Football is a beautiful, violent, ruthless game, and every player that plays it understands that.

So, no, not Fuck em. Fuck the author of this abortion of an article. And I don't mind that you posted it. What do you think of it?

jd1020
10-28-2014, 08:43 AM
Therefore... **** 'em?

Am I suppose to give a shit about a player that willingly went back into the game after receiving a concussion only to get concussed again?

vailpass
10-28-2014, 08:48 AM
No. Not **** em. It's just difficult to hear a fan get so over sensitive about this stuff.

I played football, I saw horrific things, I saw a teammate folded up like a pretzel and every ligament destroyed in his knee.

Not once did I consider walking away from the game.

When he was carted off the field, he didn't tell us to quit, he told is, and I quote, "you guys better win this mother ****ing game."

Football is a beautiful, violent, ruthless game, and every player that plays it understands that.

So, no, not **** em. **** the author of this abortion of an article. And I don't mind that you posted it. What do you think of it?

This here...

Direckshun
10-28-2014, 08:49 AM
No. Not **** em. It's just difficult to hear a fan get so over sensitive about this stuff.

Not one did I consider walking away from the game.

When he was carted off the field, he didn't tell us to quit, he told is, and I quote, "you guys better win this mother ****ing game."

Football is a beautiful, violent, ruthless game, and every player plays it understands that.

So, no, not **** em. **** the author of this abortion of an article. And I don't mind that you posted it. What do you think of it?

The problem is that you're getting unnecessarily defensive about an author that you almost certainly agree with.

Neither you nor he want the sport to become flag football.

Neither you nor he want the violence removed from the sport.

Neither you nor he want the sport to go without reasonable protections for its players.

His ideas for reasonable protection: expand the roster, take team physicians off the team's payroll, offer more roster protection for legitimately injured players, and bring unforgivable, extreme retribution on any team violating head trauma protocol. The lack of these things means players will get shoved back out on the field and/or desperately want to get back on the field before they're ready.

I think those are extremely reasonable, and I think you probably do too. You just found the OP emo and you're shitting your pants over it.

That's fine. Everybody needs a hobby. But I think the reforms discussed make sense.

Direckshun
10-28-2014, 08:50 AM
Am I suppose to give a shit about a player that willingly went back into the game after receiving a concussion only to get concussed again?

Yes. You are supposed to care about him.

jd1020
10-28-2014, 08:51 AM
Yes. You are supposed to care about him.

Sorry, I dont.

Direckshun
10-28-2014, 08:52 AM
Sorry, I dont.

No shit.

temper11
10-28-2014, 08:53 AM
Therefore... **** 'em?

Who is saying fuck 'em? I think the league is doing just about everything possible to protect these players.

Mav
10-28-2014, 08:58 AM
The problem is that you're getting unnecessarily defensive about an author that you almost certainly agree with.

Neither you nor he want the sport to become flag football.

Neither you nor he want the violence removed from the sport.

Neither you nor he want the sport to go without reasonable protections for its players.

His ideas for reasonable protection: expand the roster, take team physicians off the team's payroll, offer more roster protection for legitimately injured players, and bring unforgivable, extreme retribution on any team violating head trauma protocol. The lack of these things means players will get shoved back out on the field and/or desperately want to get back on the field before they're ready.

I think those are extremely reasonable, and I think you probably do too. You just found the OP emo and you're shitting your pants over it.

That's fine. Everybody needs a hobby. But I think the reforms discussed make sense.
I don't think necessarily that I'm defensive. I don't pretend to know anything about you as a person, but if you aren't a soldier or weren't then I'll explain it like you wouldn't know, but aside from the mental issues that come along with war, I have a fucked up back, I received a concussion while in country, i have severe depression, and anger issues, still to this day despite several hundred hours of therapy and medications still have nightmares.

Yet despite all of that, it still took me 3 years to get a 50 percent disability rating from the VA. That's probably more of the Fuck em attitude that perhaps you were sensing.

I am all for safety. I have a 3 year old son who I can't wait to hopefully watch play football and of course I don't want to see him hurt. I do understand the risks, and I understand your point as well. And the guy has a point, but his emo I might quit this sport thing did irritate me.

Haha.

KCCHIEFS27
10-28-2014, 08:59 AM
Okay, for one. The Broncos had NOTHING to do with trying to hurt this player. Misleading article title.

For two, this guy has some very poor tackling techniques and procedures. Who runs straight into a pile when the guy is being tackled and pushed down by huge lineman and linebackers? Poor judgment. On the first one, if he runs through the play, as they teach. Atleast that's what I was taught. Just like running backs, tacklers are supposed to finish through the play and not take the hit.

Three, I bet in a week or two these same guys are critiquing the Chargers secondary for playing poorly.

Direckshun
10-28-2014, 09:00 AM
Who is saying **** 'em? I think the league is doing just about everything possible to protect these players.

Unfortunately, you would be terribly, terribly wrong.

The league shielded information on head trauma for decades. That alone tells you what you need to know.

Direckshun
10-28-2014, 09:01 AM
I don't think necessarily that I'm defensive. I don't pretend to know anything about you as a person, but if you aren't a soldier or weren't then I'll explain it like you wouldn't know, but aside from the mental issues that come along with war, I have a ****ed up back, I received a concussion while in country, i have severe depression, and anger issues, still to this day despite several hundred hours of therapy and medications still have nightmares.

Yet despite all of that, it still took me 3 years to get a 50 percent disability rating from the VA. That's probably more of the **** em attitude that perhaps you were sensing.

I am all for safety. I have a 3 year old son who I can't wait to hopefully watch play football and of course I don't want to see him hurt. I do understand the risks, and I understand your point as well. And the guy has a point, but his emo I might quit this sport thing did irritate me.

Haha.

This is all fair.

beer bacon
10-28-2014, 09:06 AM
What's the latest news on the NFL providing more health care compensation to players after retirement? Most NFL players don't get 70 million dollar contracts. Most of them play a handful of seasons at or near the league minimum. When they retire, still in their 20s, they have work related health problems for the rest of their lives.

In an era when the NFL commissioner is getting paid 44 million a year, the NFL needs to take better care of their former players.

temper11
10-28-2014, 09:10 AM

The league shielded information on head trauma for decades. That alone tells you what you need to know.

It tells me that the league USED to not do everything it could do... but it seems like they are taking head trauma pretty damned seriously now. Are they taking it seriously because they were exposed? Probably, but what is important is that they are doing the right thing now. Doesn't mean that head trauma isn't going to happen anymore though.

Direckshun
10-28-2014, 09:24 AM
It tells me that the league USED to not do everything it could do.

Sweet, naive temper11. Never change.

Mr. Laz
10-28-2014, 09:32 AM
we are all disposable assets to somebody.

it's the nature of a job/business

Mr. Laz
10-28-2014, 09:34 AM

you realize that the NFLPA had that information as well?

In fact, in 1993(?) the NFLPA blocked the use of concussion related head wear that they league was trying to implement.

Direckshun
10-28-2014, 09:37 AM
Right, and the OP doesn't spare players, either.

It's the ridiculous "blame only the players" mentality that enables our continued ignorance towards player safety.

MIAdragon
10-28-2014, 09:37 AM
Therefore... **** 'em?

Yes

WhiteWhale
10-28-2014, 09:40 AM
Breaking news: football is a dangerous sport

Signed , 1953

Jesus man, people used to DIE playing football in it's earliest days.

It's a violent game. Did the dipshit who wrote this article only NOW realize this?

No one is forced to play. This isn't slave labor and the consequences of playing football (at any level) for a long time, in terms of head trauma, have been obvious since the early 90's at the latest. The NFL's denial of this doesn't excuse, entirely, the player ignorance of facts that a 13 year old child (myself at the time)easily found... and this was before the internet and I'd say a pro athlete with a college education had better resources than I was working with.

I didn't' play football beyond the time I read about the actual risk of brain injury. I tried to get my friends to quit. At least they knew the risks after I was done... or they just denied them.

I love watching football, and all players should know the risks to themselves and the potential risk to their future quality of life. At this time, they have no excuse for ignorance. I feel far less guilty than I did watching KC in 1995 when players were both willfully ignorant of this reality as well as working for a league that was actively lying to them about it.

Mr. Laz
10-28-2014, 09:40 AM
Right, and the OP doesn't spare players, either.

It's the ridiculous "blame only the players" mentality that enables our continued ignorance towards player safety.

It's the ridiculous "blame only the league" mentality that enables the players to continue to want it both ways. Complain about league safety rules one second, saying 'we know it's a dangerous sport' and then later sue the league for injuries.

lcarus
10-28-2014, 09:41 AM
The rewards far outweigh the risks in my opinion. So what. The guy got his bell rung. It happens. He should have been taken out but he'll be ok.

temper11
10-28-2014, 09:49 AM
Sweet, naive temper11. Never change.

So you don't think the NFL is trying to protect it's players? I see week after week defensive players making contact with the QB's helmets - that are softer than the contact I make with my own face while shaving - and it gets called for a personal foul. And you don't think that the NFL is trying to protect it's players?

J Charles came out in the playoff game last year after a pretty light hit, with KC's decades old playoff win drought history in the balance, and never returned. Does that sound like a league that doesn't care at all about it's players?

WhiteWhale
10-28-2014, 09:51 AM

First of all the information on head trauma was public... it was not kept in a box protected by armed guards. They lied to them. They had no real way to 'shield' them from it.

I agree with a lot of the things the authorlined out in the latter half about the half assed nature of the NFL's attempts to protect players. Fining players for big attention grabbing hits is NOT, imo, a real crackdown on the source of player brain trauma.

Trent Green got his brain blasted out. Did he change his helmet to the more concussion resistant one? No. He 'didn't like it'. Then he got his brain blasted out again the following season. IMO... this should NOT be an option. Players should wear the most advanced safety equipment by MANDATE.

Mr. Laz
10-28-2014, 09:54 AM
First of all the information on head trauma was public... it was not kept in a box protected by armed guards. They lied to them. They had no real way to 'shield' them from it.

I agree with a lot of the things the NFL lined out in the latter half about the half assed nature of the NFL's attempts to protect players.

Trent Green got his brain blasted out. Did he change his helmet to the more concussion resistant one? No. He 'didn't like it'. Then he got his brain blasted out again the following season. IMO... this should NOT be an option. Players should wear the most advanced safety equipment by MANDATE.
people would be pissed if the league tried to mandate certain equipment just like they are pissed about new safety rules

They hate Goodell and the league and there is nothing that will change that.

WhiteWhale
10-28-2014, 09:55 AM
So you don't think the NFL is trying to protect it's players? I see week after week defensive players making contact with the QB's helmets - that are softer than the contact I make with my own face while shaving - and it gets called for a personal foul. And you don't think that the NFL is trying to protect it's players?

J Charles came out in the playoff game last year after a pretty light hit, with KC's decades old playoff win drought history in the balance, and never returned. Does that sound like a league that doesn't care at all about it's players?

It's trying to protect marquee players from injury for financial reasons.

There is nothing altruistic about the NFL's 'player safety'. It's a lot of flashing lights to distract stupid people from the things they're NOT doing.

hometeam
10-28-2014, 09:56 AM

Third, **** this mother****er for whining about Roidman getting hit. That cocksucking sister****ing mongoild piece of ****ing rat shit picked up Holmes and dropped him on his head. And if you remember the play its pretty tough to defend it not being on purpose. FFS the dude knock named himself lights out. That ****ing cum dumpster gets absolutely no sympathy from me.

This.

I go out on weekends and risk concussions for free. (hell, I have even had a few of those freebies) These guys know exactly what they are getting into, its only a problem to some because there is money involved.

You don't see people railing against MotoGP riders, or guys running Isle of Mann, or rally car racers, or rodeo clowns, or any other person that goes out every week and risks concussions, broken bones, and even death. The fans of those sports know that the 'players' are aware of the risk, and in general make FAR FAR FAR less than football players.

The difference is that football is so huge, and has such a huge audience, that every tom dick and harry has an opinion on it, and people are always looking for the next headline.

These men are adults getting paid more than I make in 5 years, (MINIMUM!) playing a GAME, which they LOVE.

I'm sitting around here making jack shit, working 60 and 70 hours a week, so that I can PAY for the PRIVILEGE of going out and having fun on the weekends, risking the same types of injury.

Could the NFL do better with helmets and the like? I think absolutely. Does that mean they HAVE to or they are somehow 'tricking' guys into situations where they can get hurt? Not hardly.

Valiant
10-28-2014, 09:57 AM
Yeah no sympathies for football players.. Always someone else's fault.

Not their fault they do not take themselves out after hits or injuries, not their fault they spend money recklessly and do not save. Not their fault they cheat on spouses or do recreational drugs. Nothing is their fault.

WhiteWhale
10-28-2014, 09:57 AM
people would be pissed if the league tried to mandate certain equipment just like they are pissed about new safety rules

They hate Goodell and the league and there is nothing that will change that.

'People' would not care about everyone using the most advanced helmets. Some players would complain, but they should be told politely to shut the fuck up.

temper11
10-28-2014, 09:58 AM
IMO... this should NOT be an option. Players should wear the most advanced safety equipment by MANDATE.

Why? What about personal responsibility? To me that is no different than the govt. saying "Motorcycles are dangerous and are now banned. In fact, from now on everyone is required to drive Volvo's because they are the safest vehicle on the road".

Mr. Laz
10-28-2014, 10:01 AM
'People' would not care about everyone using the most advanced helmets. Some players would complain, but they should be told politely to shut the fuck up.

completely disagree

there would be an explosion of media and fans all over complaining about the No Fun League and more calls for Goodell to be fired

cosmo20002
10-28-2014, 10:05 AM
Why? What about personal responsibility? To me that is no different than the govt. saying "Motorcycles are dangerous and are now banned. In fact, from now on everyone is required to drive Volvo's because they are the safest vehicle on the road".

:spock:

WhiteWhale
10-28-2014, 10:06 AM

Government and private sector are not the same things. Tons of jobs have required uniforms, and there IS government oversight for many of those jobs anyway. Ever heard of OSHA? Jesus.

I don't sue the government if I'm in a traffic accident, but players are suing the fuck out of the NFL over head trauma.

This is one of the dumbest ****ing arguments one could possibly make.

WhiteWhale
10-28-2014, 10:08 AM
completely disagree

there would be an explosion of media and fans all over complaining about the No Fun League and more calls for Goodell to be fired

Because helmets that give better protection against brain trauma were mandated?

Yeah, I don't believe it for one second. Players would bitch, but the average fan and media outlet would not be outraged the NFL is putting better equipment on players. They can tell them how to wear their socks, they can mandate safety equipment.

One of these is more important than the other.

temper11
10-28-2014, 10:09 AM
Government and private sector are not the same things. Tons of jobs have required uniforms, and there IS government oversight. Ever heard of OSHA? Jesus.

This is one of the dumbest ****ing arguments one could possibly make.

That's a good point. Thanks for being so polite about it.

cosmo20002
10-28-2014, 10:17 AM
http://www.rantsports.com/nfl/files/2014/06/Joe-Theismann-Getty-Images.jpg

These helmets are no longer allowed by the NFL.

I'm not talking about the Indian logo.

CapsLockKey
10-28-2014, 10:18 AM
The only difference between today and years ago is the league had research on the dangers of concussions and chose not to share it, hence the lawsuits. Players today can't use ignorance as an excuse anymore. They are fully aware of the gambles they are taking with their bodies, so I have zero sympathy anymore for this kind of stuff at the pro level. HS and college is a different story however.

There are plenty of other professions that are just as dangerous if not more so than playing football that pay less in a lifetime than what most of these players make in a year. Hell, we just dedicated a memorial that was built this summer remembering former employees who DIED on the job.

Jimmya
10-28-2014, 01:00 PM
Agree, players know the risk just like boxers and ultimate fighters. Every decision has good or bad consequences. That's life.

LoneWolf
10-28-2014, 01:25 PM
Can't believe I missed this retarded article until now. Sounds like this dumbass needs to start watching chess tournaments instead of football. Football is a dangerous sport and the players who play it know the inherent risks. They are compensated very well for taking these risks.

I always thought San Diego fans were a group of giant pussies. This article confirms it.

FlaChief58
10-28-2014, 01:51 PM
Stopped reading after 3rd quarter/3 beers in. Pussy

Mr. Laz
10-28-2014, 04:50 PM
The only difference between today and years ago is the league had research on the dangers of concussions and chose not to share it, hence the lawsuits. Players today can't use ignorance as an excuse anymore. They are fully aware of the gambles they are taking with their bodies, so I have zero sympathy anymore for this kind of stuff at the pro level. HS and college is a different story however.

There are plenty of other professions that are just as dangerous if not more so than playing football that pay less in a lifetime than what most of these players make in a year. Hell, we just dedicated a memorial that was built this summer remembering former employees who DIED on the job.
google search ... the NFLPA had it

listopencil
10-28-2014, 09:14 PM
I didn't notice the guy going down in that first video when it happened. Looking at the play again, it does look pretty brutal. What is the reasoning behind the game day roster limitation?

listopencil
10-28-2014, 09:20 PM

I think those are extremely reasonable, and I think you probably do too.

I don't see a problem with any of this.

chiefzilla1501
10-28-2014, 09:36 PM
I think anyone claiming that the game is at all safe or even close to as safe as it was years ago are sadly mistaken.

By the way, I don't get emotional about injuries. I've watched and played enough sports that it doesn't even phase me, even with the most brutal of injuries (except Paul George... because, wow....). Players are bigger and faster. Their equipment is stripped down so they can play faster. Worse, the league's efforts to improve safety are making them worse -- shortened offseasons are creating more injuries (thanks NFLPA), the league's former insistence on one equipment provider really negatively impacted ability to test out safer equipment solutions, and the league's inconsistent enforcement of headhunting hasn't stopped players from playing like missiles instead of form tackling.

I am more bothered about how injuries are affecting the quality of play. We are one year removed from concussions having a major impact on our ability to compete in a playoff game. We saw a few seasons ago a team (the Saints) trying to cheat their way into winning by injuring the other team's best players.

The best football is played when the best players are on the field. That's why player safety matters to me. I guess it makes for a better fantasy football storyline when bench players become productive starters. Me? I don't like that the fate of a season more than ever is becoming increasingly dependent on good fortune that your best players don't get hurt with some freak injury.