PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Chiefs’ tackle Eric Fisher has been thrown into the fire on the left side

Direckshun
10-29-2014, 12:52 AM
Thank god, it's good to see some positive press come out for this guy.

If this guy could eventually groom into a Pro Bowl LT by the end of next year, I can't tell you how relieved I'll be that the Chiefs somehow managed to land a premier player with the #1 overall in a shit draft year.

As of now, the Chiefs have brought him along perfectly. Played him at RT last year, plugged him at his natural spot this year, gave him tons of help early on and finally are letting him handle the island. He didn't do great against Quinn, but he's still got a ways to go.

http://www.kansascity.com/sports/nfl/kansas-city-chiefs/article3407915.html

Chiefs’ tackle Eric Fisher has been thrown into the fire on the left side
By TEREZ A. PAYLOR-
10/27/2014 6:45 PM

In the aftermath of the Chiefs’ convincing 34-7 victory over the St. Louis Rams on Sunday, Eric Fisher sat in front of his locker, weary but upbeat.

Fisher, the Chiefs’ second-year left tackle, had just spent the entire game going toe-to-toe with the Rams’ resident half-man, half-cyborg pass rusher Robert Quinn, and while the result wasn’t exactly ideal — he gave up a sack and was whistled for illegal use of hands and a false start — he was still a part of a rushing attack that rolled up 143 yards and a passing attack that helped quarterback Alex Smith set a franchise record for single-game completion percentage.

So considering all of that, plus the fact the Chiefs also won the game to improve to 4-3, Fisher will gladly take it.

“It’s a huge win for us,” said Fisher, the No. 1 overall pick in the 2013 NFL draft. “This is the first time we’ve had a winning record this year, so it feels real good. These wins, one by one, change the rest of the season.”

That does not mean Fisher was fully satisfied with his play. Quinn, who is listed at 6 feet 4 and 264 pounds, is one of the league’s premier pass rushers, a man who racked up 19 sacks last season, and he certainly had his moments against Fisher, Smith’s 6-foot-7, 315-pound blind-side protector from Central Michigan.

“I had the one sack and a couple penalties, and that’s not something anybody wants to have,” Fisher said. “You’ve just got to learn from those mistakes. There’s a reason for everything. So you just move on and learn from it.”

Fisher then repeated an oft-spoken athlete mantra about the importance of taking it one play at a time, but given the way he spoke about Quinn, it was hard not to think he meant it.

“What a talented guy,” Fisher said. “His quickness caught me off guard for a couple plays out there. You just make adjustments as the game goes on.”

Chiefs coach Andy Reid said Fisher held his own against Quinn, who finished with five tackles and two sacks, and has been steadily been getting better this season. According to Pro Football Focus, Fisher ranks 40th out of 58 qualifying tackles in total pressures allowed in pass protection with 22.

“You can see him growing every week and improving fundamentally,” Reid said. “Not as much in the run game because he does a pretty good job right there. It’s in the pass game that normally your young tackles have to learn the techniques, and sometimes the pitches, that those defensive guys are throwing at you.”

During the preseason, Reid noted that Fisher is a little slow to shoot his left arm out in pass protection, presumably because of offseason shoulder surgery. On Monday, Reid said Fisher is still working on that, though he attributed it to a college habit.

“Well, the way that he was taught in college, you see a lot of college kids do that,” Reid said. “They bring their hands up from their hips and bring them up. And in the NFL that’s tough to do. You don’t have the time right there to get that done. These defensive linemen are on you in a heartbeat. So you’ve got get your hands up and you’ve got to retrain yourself to deliver from a little higher position, so he’s learned to do that and done a good job with that.”

Fisher has had some solid moments as a run blocker this season too, though he’s occasionally whiffed on a few cut blocks, which likely contributes to his poor Pro Football Focus run grade of negative-7.1.

“Yeah, we encourage our guys especially on the back side of blocks to cut and get the guys down on the ground,” offensive coordinator Doug Pederson said. “We do it in the screen game with the big O-lineman out on the perimeter … sometimes you get big offensive linemen down and around the legs of second level-linebacker or safety-level position players. It keeps their hands down and makes them have to tick their feet just a little bit, even though if you don’t get him on the ground, it does make them have to go either over the top or underneath.

“It’s something that we do encourage.”

Reid also signed off on Fisher’s tendency to use the cut block on smaller defenders.

“(You do it on) the fast ones, when you’ve got to get long and get out there so they don’t run across your face,” Reid said. “You’ve got to throw and try to get (them down) — some of those guys are pretty fast.

“In particular, when you have those backside cutoffs and you’ve got an outside zone play going in the opposite direction, you’ve just got to get out there and you’ve got to use all 6’7 of you to do it.”

So yes, it appears the Chiefs will continue to be patient with Fisher, who struggled as a rookie last year at right tackle.

“You just keep going through and keep learning and working hard,” Reid said. “He’s easy to coach; he’s got good tools to work with. He shows up every day and works his tail off at practice. He’s not afraid. You watch the great players and they’re not afraid to work on the things that they’re not good at. So he spends a lot of time working his techniques and fundamentals there.”

The hope is that at some point, he’ll be able to consistently stand toe-to-toe against the league’s best and neutralize them. The season is still young, with the Chiefs only seven games in, but already he’s seen the likes of Denver’s DaMarcus Ware, Miami’s Olivier Vernon, New England’s Chandler Jones, San Diego’s Dwight Freeney and, of course, St. Louis’ Quinn.

“It’s kind of crazy,” Fisher said. “Every team’s got a pass rusher, and they’re usually on my side … it doesn’t stop, either.”

He’s got that right. By the time Sunday’s game was over, Fisher still lamented the fact he gave up a sack to Quinn. But he’s long learned not to let things linger, especially when the Chiefs find a way to get a precious victory, anyway.

“(The win) doesn’t make it right,” Fisher said with a laugh. “But it makes you feel a little better.”

Hammock Parties
10-29-2014, 01:01 AM
He's come a long way. The dumpster fire is now merely smoking.

Anyone got PFF numbers on Fisher? Pressures, sacks, penalties?

J Diddy
10-29-2014, 01:36 AM

Ever blocked someone?

Oh no? I forgot. Never played a DOWN.

Mav
10-29-2014, 03:13 AM
I impressed with him. Robert Quinn is a man child.

beach tribe
10-29-2014, 04:11 AM
Ever blocked someone?

Man, I sucked at blocking, but I had a crack back block against a dude hated from a rival school that I will remember for the rest of my life.

Dude never saw it coming.
Crown of the helmet to just below the ear hole.

Out ****ing cold.
First person I every saw knocked unconscious.

Oh, and when we watched film on Monday my coach said it was the best crack back he's ever seen. Not a word said about me spearing the guy in the Jaw lol.

Eleazar
10-29-2014, 05:28 AM
I think Fisher is pretty well on target for a high ceiling/project guy, whatever you might think about taking such a player at #1

kysirsoze
10-29-2014, 05:31 AM
Ever blocked someone?

Wait... are you making fun of him for not playing organized football? I have to be missing something here.

RealSNR
10-29-2014, 06:27 AM
I fucking hate Eric Fisher

chiefzilla1501
10-29-2014, 06:32 AM
A few things... One, terez paylor has cranked out a few really good articles. Think we've got a keeper at the star. Two... The article goes to show just how damn good Andy Reid is at coaching players. If you listen to clips where he's mic'd up, his attention to detail is ridiculous. He is constantly coaching players, even in game. I almost wonder if that's why he's such a bad clock manager. Because he pays so much attention to details other than managing the game. It's always assuring to hear a coach actually break down the problem versus the usual coachspeak of 'he's getting better. We have confidence in him.' Good on paylor to maybe ask the right questions, but good on Reid to also give an intelligent answer.

Sandy Vagina
10-29-2014, 06:37 AM

-14.9 overall
-7.2 pass block
-7.6 run block
+1.0 screen block
-1.1 penalty
3 penalties (only 3?)
3 sacks (only 3???)
8 QB hits
10 QB hurries

Sweet Daddy Hate
10-29-2014, 07:25 AM
http://img8.imageshack.us/img8/7624/tegoeeeeew.gif

BigMeatballDave
10-29-2014, 07:28 AM
I fucking hate Eric Fisher

Really? I thought he was universally loved around here.

CallMeSquidwad
10-29-2014, 07:28 AM
Shocker.....our 23 year old tackle is growing and improving as a player and man, I'm shocked......#SkyIsFallingInCP

CallMeSquidwad
10-29-2014, 07:30 AM
I ****ing hate Eric Fisher

You're pathetic, sad, and probably blind because he is by far and away the best o-lineman we have; Rodney is the only one whose even in Fish's class.

milkman
10-29-2014, 07:34 AM
You're pathetic, sad, and probably blind because he is by far and away the best o-lineman we have; Rodney is the only one whose even in Fish's class.

No, Hudson is our best O-Lineman, but Fisher is improving.

They both are, actually, and will anchor this line for years to come, hopefully.

Sandy Vagina
10-29-2014, 07:36 AM
he is by far and away the best o-lineman we have; Rodney is the only one whose even in Fish's class.

:eek: ... I think he has a chance to be the best OL that KC has... but to state that he already is?

Sorry dude, but http://i651.photobucket.com/albums/uu234/Target_Clan/Smilies/If_there_was_an_emoticon____by_auge.gif

OldSchool
10-29-2014, 08:48 AM
Hudson is the best and most consistent on the team right now followed by Fisher.

Sfeihc
10-29-2014, 08:52 AM
Some of you knee jerks(Clay, SNR, et al)) need to learn the lost art of patience. It takes time to develop into a LT. Willie Roafs just don't grow on trees.

Ragged Robin
10-29-2014, 08:56 AM
Didn't he have a false start in the redzone and got pancaked for a sack on the very next play? Then contributed to another sack on 3rd down and we had to settle for a field goal? ROFL

milkman
10-29-2014, 08:57 AM
Some of you knee jerks(Clay, SNR, et al)) need to learn the lost art of patience. It takes time to develop into a LT. Willie Roafs just don't grow on trees.

That's the problem.

If he's not Willie Roaf, or Walter Jones, or Orlando Pace, even in a weak draft, there is no way in hell his selection as the #1 overall can be justified.

Dunerdr
10-29-2014, 08:59 AM
That's the problem.

If he's not Willie Roaf, or Walter Jones, or Orlando Pace, even in a weak draft, there is no way in hell his selection as the #1 overall can be justified.

Just curious milkman what pick in your mind would have been justifiable?

Kidd Lex
10-29-2014, 09:02 AM
That's the problem.

That logic is sound, but what better alternatives, and where we would be now and in the future trading Fisher for the alternatives?

I won't pretend to be an expert on the better options, but you do have to look at that first and foremost.

jd1020
10-29-2014, 09:07 AM
That logic is sound, but what better alternatives, and where we would be now and in the future trading Fisher for the alternatives?

I won't pretend to be an expert on the better options, but you do have to look at that first and foremost.

It would be hard to argue against the chiefs being better off now if they had gone with literally any other position and extending Albert.

Lzen
10-29-2014, 09:25 AM

You mean that site that has Knile Davis ranked last?

ROFL

milkman
10-29-2014, 09:31 AM
Just curious milkman what pick in your mind would have been justifiable?

Asked and answered, numerous times.

Direckshun
10-29-2014, 09:35 AM
I'm pretty sure milkman was on the Manti Te'o bandwagon.

milkman
10-29-2014, 09:50 AM
I'm pretty sure milkman was on the Manti Te'o bandwagon.

I am absolutely sure you are full of shit.

Sorter
10-29-2014, 09:51 AM
Now this forum has me wondering: Would you rather be v thrown into a fire or shoot your finger off?

ModSocks
10-29-2014, 10:23 AM
Finger, duh.

Chicks don't dig burnt guys. Plus, i can just say i lot my finger in 'nam, which scores me tough guy points. Chicks dig tough guys.

Rausch
10-29-2014, 10:25 AM
No, Hudson is our best O-Lineman, but Fisher is improving.

They both are, actually, and will anchor this line for years to come, hopefully.

If Fisher didn't just have the worst game of his career it was close...

jonzie04
10-29-2014, 10:27 AM
Im still not sold on fisher but he is a really good run blocker. I rewatched the game and he pushed quinns shit in on the goal line. That being said I have no idea how good quinn is against the run, or how gassed he was.

Rausch
10-29-2014, 10:42 AM
Im still not sold on fisher but he is a really good run blocker. I rewatched the game and he pushed quinns shit in on the goal line. That being said I have no idea how good quinn is against the run, or how gassed he was.

In the 4th quarter the whole Rams line looked gassed...

Direckshun
10-29-2014, 11:19 AM
I am absolutely sure you are full of shit.

No, I'm absolutely certain you wanted us to take Te'o 1st overall.

There is no doubt in my mind.

"Absolutely can't pass on a player with this much elite athleticism and great character. He will be an All Pro for a decade," I believe, was verbatim what you argued.

Sfeihc
10-29-2014, 01:23 PM
Sheldon Richardson is the only other player I can think of that would have been worth the pick. However, can you imagine how bananas this place would have been if KC took yet another defensive lineman?

Mr. Laz
10-29-2014, 01:42 PM
Fisher is going to be a fine left tackle.

He's probably not going to ever be worth the 1.1. but he's a quality LT

Rausch
10-29-2014, 01:44 PM
Fisher is going to be a fine left tackle.

He's probably not going to ever be worth the 1.1. but he's a quality LT

He might grow in to that but he's definitely not quality right now...

Mav
10-29-2014, 01:45 PM
Sheldon Richardson is the only other player I can think of that would have been worth the pick. However, can you imagine how bananas this place would have been if KC took yet another defensive lineman?
Star Touleilei would be another, but that's a medical issue. The bottom line though is that 7 of the first 12 picks were all offensive linemen.

If you look at the guys who weren't, ansah, mingo, dion jordan, milliner, austin, none were worth the top pick. It was an all time shitty first round. BLEH

Mr. Laz
10-29-2014, 01:48 PM
He might grow in to that but he's definitely not quality right now...
well since so many insisted that he was a worthless pile of shit and complete bust last year, that's so major progress.

He had a setback against one of the leagues premiere pass rusher last week. He's still making good progress now that he's healthy.

I imagine by the end of this year he is going to be our best Olinemen by a pretty wide margin.

btw Fisher still hasn't gone through a full offseason workout due to the shitty way the Chiefs handled his injury.

Rausch
10-29-2014, 01:55 PM
well since so many insisted that he was a worthless pile of shit and complete bust last year, that's so major progress.

Just having solid days this year is huge progress.

He had a setback against one of the leagues premiere pass rusher last week. He's still making good progress now that he's healthy.

I imagine by the end of this year he is going to be our best Olinemen by a pretty wide margin.

I doubt that. Hudson gets no credit here. He plays C like a G and consistently stonewall's his defender...

Mr. Laz
10-29-2014, 02:00 PM
I doubt that. Hudson gets no credit here. He plays C like a G and consistently stonewall's his defender...
No credit??!?

He's been pimped like a pro bowler by some people before he took an NFL snap. They still declared him elite to this day.

consistently stonewall?

No credit at all LMAO

Hudson wasn't even 'good' until this year.

RealSNR
10-29-2014, 02:34 PM

Sincerely,

Joe Thomas

Rausch
10-29-2014, 02:39 PM
No credit??!?

He's been pimped like a pro bowler by some people before he took an NFL snap.

That was me.

I don't remember many others saying that.

Hudson wasn't even 'good' until this year.

He missed a year due to injury and he's only been a C for two years. His first year was definitely a bad learning year...

Mav
10-29-2014, 02:40 PM
Sincerely,

Joe Thomas

He uh, is pretty good isn't he,:drool:

O.city
10-29-2014, 03:19 PM
Hudson is a top 5 center

Frosty
10-29-2014, 03:27 PM
Star Touleilei would be another, but that's a medical issue. The bottom line though is that 7 of the first 12 picks were all offensive linemen.

If you look at the guys who weren't, ansah, mingo, dion jordan, milliner, austin, none were worth the top pick. It was an all time shitty first round. BLEH

In a perfect world (that still included trading for Smith), giving SF our 1.1 in 2013 and keeping the two 2nds (and maybe getting a late rounder or two back) would have been for the best. Re-sign Albert, draft Kyle Long with the 2013 2nd and grab a WR in the 2nd this year.

RunKC
10-29-2014, 03:29 PM
Hudson is a top 5 center

Wait what?

Mav
10-29-2014, 03:30 PM
In a perfect world (that still included trading for Smith), giving SF our 1.1 in 2013 and keeping the two 2nds (and maybe getting a late rounder or two back) would have been for the best. Re-sign Albert, draft Kyle Long with the 2013 2nd and grab a WR in the 2nd this year.
Yah. The time though the melt down would of been pretty bad here though.

Frosty
10-29-2014, 03:31 PM

I would have melted down at the time. Hindsight says it wouldn't have been too bad.

Mav
10-29-2014, 03:36 PM
I would have melted down at the time. Hindsight says it wouldn't have been too bad.
Not at all

RealSNR
10-29-2014, 03:36 PM

Everybody here had pronounced the 2013 draft a shitfuck in November. Everybody said the #1 overall pick sucked this year.

So it would have made total sense to piss it away, take the mulligan, and keep your 2nd rounders that at least allow you to target WHICHEVER position you want instead of being funneled into taking a fat fuck.

After the Alex Smith trade, I argued it all year that that's what we should done-- burned the #1 overall on Smith, that is.

Mav
10-29-2014, 03:40 PM
Everybody here had pronounced the 2013 draft a shitfuck in November. Everybody said the #1 overall pick sucked this year.

So it would have made total sense to piss it away, take the mulligan, and keep your 2nd rounders that at least allow you to target WHICHEVER position you want instead of being funneled into taking a fat fuck.

After the Alex Smith trade, I argued it all year that that's what we should done-- burned the #1 overall on Smith, that is.
Hmmm. Hind sight says that would of been great at the time

Frosty
10-29-2014, 03:44 PM
I wonder if SF would have been interested enough in Richardson or Star to go for it?

Mav
10-29-2014, 03:49 PM
I wonder if SF would have been interested enough in Richardson or Star to go for it?
Star would of been interesting. There were reports that they were looking to trade up with the raiders at the time. Most thought that was to get Tavon Austin

Sweet Daddy Hate
10-29-2014, 07:30 PM
How the fuck does one get "thrown in to the fire" playing the position they were drafted for?