PDA

View Full Version : Royals One of those "I'll remember this forever" moments...

Sully
10-29-2014, 06:59 AM
I didn't bond with my dad over sports. He watched games, sometimes, but we never really watched them together, until I was in high school and pretty much took over the family TV on Sundays.
I also don't remember the 85 World Series. As a young kid, I just wasn't a huge sports fan. I vaguely remember it happened, but I didn't spend those nights in front of a TV with my dad rooting on every at bat and pitch.
My dad's been gone about 10 years, now, and i think that he'd have enjoyed watching my coaching career. I think we could have really had some great discussions about that, and it could've been our sports bonding moment. 2 months before he died, I bought him a set of golf clubs, and I know he was excited to learn how to play so we could have that. I regret that.

I now have a six year old daughter. She plays soccer, and she knows daddy is a coach (and comes to my games) and that daddy yells at the TV when sports are on. But, honestly, she couldn't care less about it all. She has her own interests. But I told my wife when the Royals made the World Series that she was going to watch these games with us... because God knows when she'll see it again!

Over this World Series, she has really started to get into it. She's picked a favorite player (Eric Hosmer, because he looks nice), and has learned a couple of the regular chants.
Last night really brought a tear to my eye, though, and 12 hours later, I'm still choked up about it.

I had coaching, and then a banquet until after 7 last night. I got home about 7:20, and she was in the family room watching a cartoon. I just wanted to eat and watch the game, so I went to the kitchen, poured a bowl of cereal, and turned on the game in there. It was the 2nd inning, so there was some cheering.
Next thing I know, I hear a little voice from downstairs chanting, "let's go Royals!!!!" and waiting for the return claps. We started the chant in our house, and it lasted for 5 minutes, and it was delicious.
I finished my dinner, and went downstairs, and we snuggled together and watched the Royals, and cheered, and laughed, and talked about the players, and the rules, and about what sign we'll make when i take her to her first game next year. All that, which is a rite of passage for so many kids with their dads.
And i know a lot of it, on her part, was to please daddy. I know a portion of it was mimicking my excitement. But I also know she had fun. The two of us having that together. I know that one day, she'll be married, and will talk about watching those games with her daddy. I know that last night I may have made her a baseball fan. I know that we just shared something that I don't think I ever shared with my dad.

Don't ever tell me sports don't mean anything. Don't tell me they are a distraction, fluff, or of no worth. Last night sports were the thing. My daughter and I found a new way to communicate through sports. And it was amazing. I've never been happier than in those fleeting minutes watching that game.

TLO
10-29-2014, 07:02 AM
Eric Hosmer does look/seem nice.

Thanks for sharing Sully.

SAUTO
10-29-2014, 07:03 AM
my youngest daughter and son have watched all these games with me. its something none of us will ever forget.

1adam1238
10-29-2014, 07:04 AM
Wow....Great Post!!!!

Dave Lane
10-29-2014, 07:46 AM
This is why people say the best moments in life are free.

KC native
10-29-2014, 07:52 AM
This series has been special.

I got to go to game 2. My kid (8 years old) is becoming a Royals fan despite living in Texas (sorry son LMAO).

He was pumped watching the game with me. I sent him to bed after we were up 8-0, but I've rarely seen him this excited about watching a sports event.

I tried to pull him in more for the Spurs championship and wasn't very successful. He enjoys going to TCU football games but always wants to leave early (unless it's close and we're sitting by rival fans then he likes to boo them).

rico
10-29-2014, 07:54 AM
I didn't bond with my dad over sports. He watched games, sometimes, but we never really watched them together, until I was in high school and pretty much took over the family TV on Sundays.
I also don't remember the 85 World Series. As a young kid, I just wasn't a huge sports fan. I vaguely remember it happened, but I didn't spend those nights in front of a TV with my dad rooting on every at bat and pitch.
My dad's been gone about 10 years, now, and i think that he'd have enjoyed watching my coaching career. I think we could have really had some great discussions about that, and it could've been our sports bonding moment. 2 months before he died, I bought him a set of golf clubs, and I know he was excited to learn how to play so we could have that. I regret that.

I now have a six year old daughter. She plays soccer, and she knows daddy is a coach (and comes to my games) and that daddy yells at the TV when sports are on. But, honestly, she couldn't care less about it all. She has her own interests. But I told my wife when the Royals made the World Series that she was going to watch these games with us... because God knows when she'll see it again!

Over this World Series, she has really started to get into it. She's picked a favorite player (Eric Hosmer, because he looks nice), and has learned a couple of the regular chants.
Last night really brought a tear to my eye, though, and 12 hours later, I'm still choked up about it.

I had coaching, and then a banquet until after 7 last night. I got home about 7:20, and she was in the family room watching a cartoon. I just wanted to eat and watch the game, so I went to the kitchen, poured a bowl of cereal, and turned on the game in there. It was the 2nd inning, so there was some cheering.
Next thing I know, I hear a little voice from downstairs chanting, "let's go Royals!!!!" and waiting for the return claps. We started the chant in our house, and it lasted for 5 minutes, and it was delicious.
I finished my dinner, and went downstairs, and we snuggled together and watched the Royals, and cheered, and laughed, and talked about the players, and the rules, and about what sign we'll make when i take her to her first game next year. All that, which is a rite of passage for so many kids with their dads.
And i know a lot of it, on her part, was to please daddy. I know a portion of it was mimicking my excitement. But I also know she had fun. The two of us having that together. I know that one day, she'll be married, and will talk about watching those games with her daddy. I know that last night I may have made her a baseball fan. I know that we just shared something that I don't think I ever shared with my dad.

Don't ever tell me sports don't mean anything. Don't tell me they are a distraction, fluff, or of no worth. Last night sports were the thing. My daughter and I found a new way to communicate through sports. And it was amazing. I've never been happier than in those fleeting minutes watching that game.

This post really hit me. As a father of two girls (ages 2 and 4) along with currently being a tad emotionally fragile due to a few things lately...I can honestly say that this post was touching and brought tears to my eyes. Good for you and thanks for sharing, dude.

Lzen
10-29-2014, 08:00 AM
That's great stuff, Sully. You sound like a great father. :thumb:

For you guys with kids this is a good reminder to make time to spend with your kids, take lots of photos and videos, and just be there for them. You will be glad you did when they're grown.

Big Poppa Payne
10-29-2014, 08:06 AM
Awesome post!!!

Why Not?
10-29-2014, 08:39 AM
Great post! Good comments as well. I relate to KC Native in that I got to go to game 2, which was an awesome cross country trip with just my wife and I(kinda rare when you have small kids)and so far this has been the most interested my 5 year old has been in watching sports. He keeps asking for a Royals WS championship shirt. Last night I was able to say "one more win, son. One more win"

Dayze
10-29-2014, 09:08 AM
She's going to be crushed when she finds out every thing is rigged.

BigRedChief
10-29-2014, 09:45 AM

Don't ever tell me sports don't mean anything. Don't tell me they are a distraction, fluff, or of no worth. Last night sports were the thing. My daughter and I found a new way to communicate through sports. And it was amazing. I've never been happier than in those fleeting minutes watching that game.Sharing seeing a World Series championship won live with my son was one of the greatest experiences in my life. Enjoy the moment.

BlackHelicopters
10-29-2014, 11:11 AM
Damn allergies

A Salt Weapon
10-29-2014, 11:46 AM
My kids, my dad, and I have watched all the games together except 1. It has been awesome. I know the my kids won't remember it so much, but for me and my dad, it's been great bonding. My youngest is the same age I was during the 85 series so for my dad it's been an amazing experience.

MahiMike
10-29-2014, 01:45 PM
Lucky for me my son's Golf coach is an ex-MLB player and coached HS baseball. He's now into both Golf and baseball. Happened just in time for him to watch the games with me and hear all the stories about 1985.

His coach played against those 1985 Royals. We're going to the sports bar tonight.

Halfcan
10-29-2014, 01:56 PM
Excellent post! I watched the game with my dad and youngest son along with my girlfriend. We had a blast.

underEJ
10-29-2014, 02:01 PM
My dad has passed, 2 years now, and every now and again while watching this playoff run, I think I see him in the stands, dressed exactly like James Earl Jones in Field of Dreams, because that's how he always dressed, but his shirt would have been a shade of royal blue, and his hat would have been his light blue royals hat. He would have loved this team. He'd have yelled at Yost alot, but he would have loved it. I think there must be alot of older gentlemen in KC who look alot like that, although it might have actually been my uncle once or twice during the ALCS.

Dads and daughters are a great sports fan combo. Enjoy the game tonight all you Dads!