PDA

View Full Version : Royals What happens to Billy Butler?

penbrook
10-29-2014, 10:26 PM
We aren't gonna pay him 12 mil. He will have to take a hometown discount.

Dayton Moore: "We have some tough decisions to make with our roster." Including Billy Butler contract #Royals

lcarus
10-29-2014, 10:27 PM
Well Billy made it clear he wants to stay a Royal. What's unclear is if he really wants to be a Royal or just stay close to the rib platter at Joe's

Bowser
10-29-2014, 10:28 PM
They'll bring him back at a reduced price. Not much of a market for pure DH's anymore, especially ones that don't hit for big power numbers.

'Hamas' Jenkins
10-29-2014, 10:32 PM
139, 117, 97

2.9, 1.5, -0.3

The top numbers are his wRC+, the bottom his fWAR for the last three years. His ability to hit fastballs has also decreased significantly for two straight years and he has a bad body.

Most signs point to him aging poorly, and post PEDs- the aging curve shows that you hit your prime closer to 25-6 than 27-8.

I don't think picking up his option is the worst thing in the world, but giving him a multiyear deal might end up as a contractual albatross.

kchero
10-29-2014, 10:33 PM
They'll bring him back at a reduced price. Not much of a market for pure DH's anymore, especially ones that don't hit for big power numbers.

Yea, I agree. If he wont deal for a lower deal then we can just cut bait.

Coach
10-29-2014, 10:35 PM
I'm good with giving him the 1M buyout, and see if there is an upgrade out there somewhere.

Sure would love to have Sandoval here, but he's going to get paid a lot, no doubt.

Prison Bitch
10-29-2014, 10:36 PM
He will be released, that's what

Deberg_1990
10-29-2014, 10:38 PM
Go after Panda and rotate the DH around

BigCatDaddy
10-29-2014, 10:38 PM
Why the hell would we want to bring him back even at a discounted price? We need some slug from the right side from our DH and RFer next year. That's part of the reason Bumgarner kicked our ass.

Bowser
10-29-2014, 10:41 PM
Why the hell would we want to bring him back even at a discounted price? We need some slug from the right side from our DH and RFer next year. That's part of the reason Bumgarner kicked our ass.

I'm lukewarm at best about Butler returning, a very solid "meh" if you will, but come on. Ty Cobb, Pete Rose and Barry Bonds weren't going to hit Baumgrarner this series the way he was pitching. I don't think people realize what an all time historic show he put on this postseason.

ping2000
10-29-2014, 10:44 PM
Too fat. /Omaha

Prison Bitch
10-29-2014, 10:45 PM
Go after Panda and

Dumb

kcjayhawks5
10-29-2014, 10:47 PM
Fuck

BigCatDaddy
10-29-2014, 10:48 PM
I'm lukewarm at best about Butler returning, a very solid "meh" if you will, but come on. Ty Cobb, Pete Rose and Barry Bonds weren't going to hit Baumgrarner this series the way he was pitching. I don't think people realize what an all time historic show he put on this postseason.

I don't know. I think the Royals played a huge part if making him the apple of Joe Buck's eye. They seem to always shit the bed against good leftys since they're best hitters are left handed.

l like Billy the guy, but if you want to see more playoff runs you can't have him as your DH. I believe there are about 3-4 full time DH's left now that Dunn retired .. Cruz, Ortiz, and Carter all of whom are far superior numbers to Billy. It's would be retarded to bring him back even for 500K if your goal is actually winning which I believe it is now and why he won't be back. I wouldn't be shocked if Billy retires, finds himself in the minors, or at best on the bench as a PH'er. He's not good enough to be a FT DH and is a liability in the field. I don't see a market.

ghak99
10-29-2014, 10:49 PM
I don't see there being a huge market out there for Billy. I think it's a very short very home town discount deal or wishing him well.

Here's to the pipe dream that Fat Panda loves him some KC BBQ! No way we're in that bidding war any other way.

Buehler445
10-29-2014, 10:51 PM

Meh.

Someone mentioned during the Orioles series that Butler had more sacrifice flies than any team in the playoffs or some shit.

Optimally you get a good consistent hitter in there, but if we can't land anybody and he's willing to work cheap I don't mind it. Don't like it, but don't hate it.

BigCatDaddy
10-29-2014, 10:58 PM
Meh.

Someone mentioned during the Orioles series that Butler had more sacrifice flies than any team in the playoffs or some shit.

Optimally you get a good consistent hitter in there, but if we can't land anybody and he's willing to work cheap I don't mind it. Don't like it, but don't hate it.

The dude had a 379 slug and is a huge liability on the base paths. You'd like get more production batting a shitty backup catcher at DH. Moore should be fired if Billy is the opening day DH next year.

Prison Bitch
10-29-2014, 11:00 PM
Billy's not retiring, and he won't be a Royal next year

okcchief
10-29-2014, 11:02 PM
He gone....

BigCatDaddy
10-29-2014, 11:05 PM
Billy's not retiring, and he won't be a Royal next year

So where does that leave him? Not a starting caliber DH anymore or 1st baseman. Minors or bench player.

Prison Bitch
10-29-2014, 11:07 PM
So where does that leave him? Not a starting caliber DH anymore or 1st baseman. Minors or bench player.

Someone will def take a shot at a bounce back from him. Hitting is hard to find now and he punished LH. Even as a strict platoon guy, most AL teams would have no problem giving him300ab mostly vs LH

We can't afford to gamble or to pay good $ for platoons so it won't be here

ChiefsCountry
10-29-2014, 11:21 PM
He is gone. We need the DH spot to give Perez days off from behind the plate. Also need a platoon to play right. With Hosmer being a gold glove, it makes no sense to bring back Billy.

'Hamas' Jenkins
10-29-2014, 11:56 PM
Aramis Ramirez is declining, but the dude is a professional hitter. Might be worth kicking the tires on...

J Diddy
10-29-2014, 11:57 PM
He is gone. We need the DH spot to give Perez days off from behind the plate. Also need a platoon to play right. With Hosmer being a gold glove, it makes no sense to bring back Billy.

No it doesn't, however I'd love a bat with some power.

Why Not?
10-30-2014, 12:07 AM
I know how our team is built and I really like what I know of Billy Butler the person, and he had some key hits this postseason. But the Royals played 15 post season games and our DH did not hit a single HR. That lack of power is simply not acceptable. Not for 1 million not for $500,000. There will always be a spot in my baseball heart for a guy who I think truly loved being a Royal. But if you want to improve this team, it starts with better hitting/power so:

Bye bye Billy. At least you made it to a WS as a Royal, something 3 decades of Royals never did

Sassy Squatch
10-30-2014, 12:07 AM
Billy Butler can GTFO. Weak ass DH

thabear04
10-30-2014, 12:16 AM
I'm good with giving him the 1M buyout, and see if there is an upgrade out there somewhere.

Sure would love to have Sandoval here, but he's going to get paid a lot, no doubt.

So he will be a Yankee because they give out big contact like that. Imagine him over there and Yankees dont allow facial hair.

SPchief
10-30-2014, 12:18 AM
Obviously Dayton declines the option and Biilly gets his 1mil. Would not shock me to see dayton offer 2 years for $12 mil with a team option for 10 mil in year 3

Sassy Squatch
10-30-2014, 12:21 AM
Obviously Dayton declines the option and Biilly gets his 1mil. Would not shock me to see dayton offer 2 years for $12 mil with a team option for 10 mil in year 3
Nah, he can just leave.

BigMeatballDave
10-30-2014, 01:59 AM
Panda or Cruz please!

KCUnited
10-30-2014, 06:02 AM
Walmarts apologizes for Billy Butler costume.

BigMeatballDave
10-30-2014, 07:43 AM
My friend, who is an Indians fan, says he's heard they will make a run at Butler.

Nightfyre
10-30-2014, 07:50 AM
The Orioles should sign Butler. He crushes that park.

loochy
10-30-2014, 08:20 AM
he goes on a diet

Big Poppa Payne
10-30-2014, 08:22 AM
Walmarts apologizes for Billy Butler costume.

ROFL

Fairplay
10-30-2014, 08:40 AM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube-nocookie.com/embed/PVrEwCa8nSA?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

MahiMike
10-30-2014, 09:12 AM
Go after Panda and rotate the DH around

Good comparison. Billy and panda were the 2 best players in the series at getting bat on ball. We have too many players whiffing on pitches. Pay the man.

ILChief
10-30-2014, 09:22 AM
Need more power from DH and RF. Aoki is awful

Radar Chief
10-30-2014, 09:28 AM
I like Billy, he has been a solid contributor to the Royals for several seasons but I’m pretty good with letting him go ground into double plays for someone else now.

loochy
10-30-2014, 09:40 AM
he moves to another team where he continues to hit weak foul pop ups to the third base side

Fish
10-30-2014, 09:44 AM
I like Billy, he has been a solid contributor to the Royals for several seasons but I’m pretty good with letting him go ground into double plays for someone else now.

This is where I'm at as well.

DeepSouth
10-30-2014, 09:46 AM
Good comparison. Billy and panda were the 2 best players in the series at getting bat on ball. We have too many players whiffing on pitches. Pay the man.
Butler had one at bat in the three games played in San Fran and that was a strike out. If the Royals are going to pay someone $12M, I'd rather it be someone that (1.) has more playing flexibility, (2.) hits with more power, and (3.) doesn't argue with the first base coach when he's obviously in the wrong.

Prison Bitch
10-30-2014, 09:50 AM
Butler is a pile of shit. 3 doubles, 0 homers in 49 AB this postseason (.660 OPS). That OPS is approx what Jarrod Dyson hit this season, and that's not mentioning his speed on the bases which fatty lacks

He was dreadful. He was Jarrod Dyson without the speed. Josh should've gotten all those ABs

penbrook
10-30-2014, 09:53 AM
According to Jon Heyman Royals are expected to decline Butlers option but have some interest in re signing Aoki

DeepSouth
10-30-2014, 09:54 AM
Butler is a pile of shit. 3 doubles, 0 homers in 49 AB this postseason (.660 OPS). That OPS is approx what Jarrod Dyson hit this season, and that's not mentioning his speed on the bases which fatty lacks

He was dreadful. He was Jarrod Dyson without the speed. Josh should've gotten all those ABs
Well PB, you definitely said it with a little more colorful language that I did.

Prison Bitch
10-30-2014, 09:58 AM
Ill always hate fat-ass because he nearly cost us a postseason berth with his awful season, and he possibly cost us a WS by being terrible again. When he mouthed his profanity during his 9th inning popout last night I thought: "why curse? You were expecting to actually contribute something?"

Nightfyre
10-30-2014, 10:08 AM
**** re-signing Aoki.

duncan_idaho
10-30-2014, 10:12 AM
My guess?

He ends up somewhere that will platoon him/use him intelligently as part of its DH/1B rotation, on a much reduced contract (something like $3-5 million).

I think it's the right move for the Royals to walk away from him and spend the money elsewhere while gaining roster flexibility and likely not damaging the lineup. But it wouldn't surprise me a bit if he lands in a more hitter-friendly ballpark and puts up numbers that make some bitch about letting him go in the first place.

penbrook
10-30-2014, 10:13 AM
We need a RF and a DH who can not necessarily have power but who will get on base and get hits. Shields is gone. Ventura will be our ace. Zimmer might be ready by next year. Sign Ian Kennedy.

BigMeatballDave
10-30-2014, 10:17 AM
I'd actually be good with Aoki, Infante, and Butler being replaced.

Hootie
10-30-2014, 10:18 AM
If he wants to sign for $3-5 million to be our platoon guy who starts against all lefties, occasionally against some righties, and is our first bench bat as well as good depth...sure, ok. Maybe.

I don't think that's going to happen, though. Billy was a good Royal. I wish him nothing but luck down the road.

Hootie
10-30-2014, 10:19 AM
Infante isn't getting replaced. We need to hope he bounces back and is healthy next year.

I'm warming up to the idea of Gordon/Dyson/Cain as our every day lineup against right handed pitchers.

We need a good OF bat who dominates lefties.

We need to sign two guys. One who dominates lefties, and one who dominates righties. Maybe even three guys.

Prison Bitch
10-30-2014, 10:20 AM
Butler and Shields are both gone no pt discussing them any longer. They'll pick up option/arb on the 3 relievers. So we know this.

What then? Top goal for me is doing whatever it takes to get out from under Infantes deal. Colon is perfectly ready, and he's young and cheap and hungry. We have to eat some of that contract but its more than worth it

penbrook
10-30-2014, 10:21 AM
Infante was probably at 60% towards the end of this season. He said his shoulder was really bad that he couldn't have any power because of it. It hurt everytime he swung

Why Not?
10-30-2014, 10:32 AM
We need a RF and a DH who can not necessarily have power but who will get on base and get hits. Shields is gone. Ventura will be our ace. Zimmer might be ready by next year. Sign Ian Kennedy.

If we sign Kennedy, we should be the hands down favorite to win the central next year.

gblowfish
10-30-2014, 10:33 AM
The only way Butler stays is if he settles for a lot less money. Royals may want to move on, as Billay is limited in what he can do defensively, and hasn't generated the kind of power or production we would expect at this point in his career. I was hoping he'd be our version of Jim Thome, but he just doesn't have the power to hit 30 plus homers on a consistent basis. Getting stronger in the outfield and rotating the DH position is what most teams do now. Shields is gone. Somebody will throw stupid money at him. Ventura was our big game pitcher, I think Shields was gassed in October, and just didn't have his usual stamina, velocity or control. He'll make a fine number four guy for the Dodgers, Yanks, Red Sox, etc. But I'll be very surprised if he signs here. He'll be like Santana was last year. He'll go somewhere for stupid money, eat a lot of innings and be a .500 pitcher or a little better. Time for the Royals to call up Zimmer and plug him in. I'd do everything possible to keep the three relievers together as a matched set. Hard to top that formula, it works.

jd1020
10-30-2014, 10:34 AM
If we sign Kennedy, we should be the hands down favorite to win the central next year.

How do you figure? Are you saying that Kennedy > Shields?

alnorth
10-30-2014, 10:34 AM
My list:

Let Butler go to a hitter-friendly park.

Sign a 4th OF and make a go of letting Dyson start every day.

Sign a part-time DH who will be fine with only starting about 90 games. (Salvy needs to DH at least 30 games) This could be Willingham.

Sign a SP to a 2-year deal, probably a #3/#4 guy for depth and insurance against injury or ineffectiveness.

Why Not?
10-30-2014, 10:41 AM

Not necessarily but I would say the drop off is not that significant. With a whole off season to work and with Ventura and Duffy ready to anchor the rotation, I think one more good pitcher makes the rotation really formidable. I should also add we need to pick up a decent power bat as well.

White Sox and Indians don't scare me, Twins are the Twins and the Tigers are ready to be slaughtered into old guy with bad contract hell for a few years. True flash in a pan teams are rare, most teams with a run like this stay in contention a few years. We should have another ticket or two to the dance before everyone jumps ship for bigger market teams.

Hootie
10-30-2014, 10:43 AM
I would LOVE getting Willingham for 1 and 4-5. When healthy, he has legit pop and he takes tons of walks. He's perfect for this team. I'd love if he played 1 more year

jd1020
Not necessarily but I would say the drop off is not that significant. With a whole off season to work and with Ventura and Duffy ready to anchor the rotation, I think one more good pitcher makes the rotation really formidable. I should also add we need to pick up a decent power bat as well.

White Sox and Indians don't scare me, Twins are the Twins and the Tigers are ready to be slaughtered into old guy with bad contract hell for a few years. True flash in a pan teams are rare, most teams with a run like this stay in contention a few years. We should have another ticket or two to the dance before everyone jumps ship for bigger market teams.

2007 Rockies - ??? say hi.

MahiMike
Butler had one at bat in the three games played in San Fran and that was a strike out. If the Royals are going to pay someone $12M, I'd rather it be someone that (1.) has more playing flexibility, (2.) hits with more power, and (3.) doesn't argue with the first base coach when he's obviously in the wrong.

That wasn't his fault. Besides, that was NOT a strike 3. Billy has the best vision of our hitters. He took a ball that was called a strike. You can't fault him for being the DH playing NL rules.

Ebolapox
10-30-2014, 10:48 AM

ian kennedy isn't a FA.

Ebolapox
I would LOVE getting Willingham for 1 and 4-5. When healthy, he has legit pop and he takes tons of walks. He's perfect for this team. I'd love if he played 1 more year

willingham is going to retire.

RealSNR
Are there any guys on the roster currently who can ground into more DPs than hit home runs as the DH?

jd1020
10-30-2014, 10:50 AM
ian kennedy isn't a FA.

What's that got to do with anything?

alnorth
10-30-2014, 10:52 AM
willingham is going to retire.

That is yet to be determined. There were a flurry of stories on September 25 that he was "100 percent retiring", but he quickly denied those reports and said he hasn't made a decision.

Ebolapox
10-30-2014, 10:52 AM
What's that got to do with anything?

we can't 'sign' him. he'll cost fungible assets, unfortunately. maybe it's not that expensive from a prospect perspective, but alas, we didn't get him at the bargain basement that the padres did.

tk13
10-30-2014, 10:54 AM
If I were Baltimore, and Cruz walks... I'd consider going after Butler. It's obviously a drop off but you're gonna get that anyway. Butler could pop a lot of home runs in that ballpark.

penbrook
10-30-2014, 10:55 AM
Butler said if they decline his option he still wants to talk and see if they can work something out

Prison Bitch
10-30-2014, 10:58 AM
If I were Baltimore, and Cruz walks... I'd consider going after Butler. It's obviously a drop off but you're gonna get that anyway. Butler could pop a lot of home runs in that ballpark.

What are you basing that on? Dude hit 9hr and I don't recall very many war in track outs from the guy. And 5 of them were at home anyway. He isn't becoming a power hitter next year no matter where he plays and a 52% ground ball rate proves it

Pens quote on Billy wanting to work something out ain't the sign of a guy thinking he's wanted. Shields isn't saying that.

penbrook
10-30-2014, 11:07 AM
Shields is saying we and us. He's saying stuff like he wants to be here and expects to be here

Hammock Parties
10-30-2014, 11:11 AM
<iframe width="480" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/BDgcc5Sif3k" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

BigMeatballDave
10-30-2014, 11:13 AM
What are you basing that on? Dude hit 9hr and I don't recall very many war in track outs from the guy. And 5 of them were at home anyway. He isn't becoming a power hitter next year no matter where he plays and a 52% ground ball rate proves it

Pens quote on Billy wanting to work something out ain't the sign of a guy thinking he's wanted. Shields isn't saying that.

He just hit 29 2 years ago.

He could easily do that in Baltimore.

BWillie
10-30-2014, 11:17 AM
That is yet to be determined. There were a flurry of stories on September 25 that he was "100 percent retiring", but he quickly denied those reports and said he hasn't made a decision.

Would you want to come back to a team that has you or Billy Butler to use as the DH...and you used Billy Butler at DH 95% of the time? I wouldn't. I bet Willingham is really confused why he didn't receive more ABs

Hootie
10-30-2014, 11:19 AM
Shields may just sign the QO ... hmm

penbrook
10-30-2014, 11:21 AM
Would you want to come back to a team that has you or Billy Butler to use as the DH...and you used Billy Butler at DH 95% of the time? I wouldn't. I bet Willingham is really confused why he didn't receive more ABs

Because he struggled. He couldn't hit anything the last month or so

'Hamas' Jenkins
10-30-2014, 11:27 AM
Shields may just sign the QO ... hmm

No way that happens. None. He'll get 4-5 years from someone.

penbrook
10-30-2014, 11:32 AM
Aoki, Frasor, Downs, Willingham, Ibanez, Hochevar are officially free agents as of this morning. Oh, and James Shields, too. #Royals

penbrook
10-30-2014, 11:33 AM
James Shields using words We and us not them or they at the celebration today. Speculate away

Ebolapox
10-30-2014, 11:34 AM
hey guys... you think anyone is interested in any of our AAAA pitching prospects? I'm thinking that maybe we can squeeze a catcher out of some team, maybe for liam hendriks.

Bowser
10-30-2014, 11:38 AM

Chicago Cubs

Why Not?
10-30-2014, 11:41 AM
2007 Rockies - ??? say hi.

Right. Rare, as in it happens, but not usually

Prison Bitch
10-30-2014, 11:46 AM

Just ignore that clown, please.

Clyde Frog
10-30-2014, 11:50 AM
Im guessing he gets the beetus within a year or two

KevB
10-30-2014, 11:57 AM
James Shields using words We and us not them or they at the celebration today. Speculate away

It's the day after Game 7, of course he's still saying we and us. Especially at a fan rally honoring the team. There's nothing to read into it.

jd1020
10-30-2014, 12:05 PM
Right. Rare, as in it happens, but not usually

You're insane if you think it's common for sub $100M teams to have a 5 or so year run. The Rays are literally the only team that comes to mind.

BWillie
10-30-2014, 12:22 PM
Because he struggled. He couldn't hit anything the last month or so
He sure had alot of at bats to prove himself. Tons.

Why Not?
10-30-2014, 12:25 PM
You're insane if you think it's common for sub $100M teams to have a 5 or so year run. The Rays are literally the only team that comes to mind.

I'm not saying 5 years. 2-3 though, very doable. If you don't think this team is capable of that, we've been watching different baseball this year. I think we under achieved majorly on O and that is bound to improve. Bullpen and defense will return and maybe even improve if Aoki is gone and Hochevar returns.

Hootie
10-30-2014, 12:28 PM
Agree. But sometimes, rarely, it's not about the money. Maybe he takes 4 / 60 to be in a place that makes him happy

58-4ever
10-30-2014, 12:45 PM
Agree. But sometimes, rarely, it's not about the money. Maybe he takes 4 / 60 to be in a place that makes him happy

so you're saying that the Royals should offer that?

Hootie
10-30-2014, 12:54 PM
so you're saying that the Royals should offer that?
They should talk to him and his agent and see if he wants to be in KC or if he is looking for the richest deal and go from there

BigCatDaddy
10-30-2014, 12:59 PM
Id like to have Frasor back.

gblowfish
10-30-2014, 03:17 PM
Billay is from Jacksonville, so I'll be he ends up in Tampa Bay.

Mr. Laz
10-30-2014, 03:18 PM
Butler isn't worth 15 million per

EPodolak
10-30-2014, 03:22 PM
I hope Billy lands on his feet someplace, because I think he's a good guy. There's been a trend of fat guys playing third base lately...

duncan_idaho
10-30-2014, 03:24 PM
Had lunch with my best source...

It sounds like this thread is a waste of time. Butler will not be a Royal next year, even though it seems like he wants to be.

Don't let the "we" and "us" from Shields fool you. He's also gone, no doubt.

They're going to be looking for the things we want them to look for (RH bat for the OF, proven SP to slot into the rotation).

lcarus
10-30-2014, 03:26 PM

It sounds like this thread is a waste of time. Butler will not be a Royal next year, even though it seems like he wants to be.

They're going to be looking for the things we want them to look for (RH bat for the OF, proven SP to slot into the rotation).

Yeah Shields is just acting professionally. He's a Royal until he's not.

duncan_idaho
10-30-2014, 03:29 PM
Yeah Shields is just acting professionally. He's a Royal until he's not.

He's acting professionally in public. Heard some disturbing things about him behind the scenes making fun of some of the young players for talking about "loyalty."

Radar Chief
10-30-2014, 03:30 PM

Basically what I would have expected. Any other names brought up?

duncan_idaho
10-30-2014, 03:32 PM
Basically what I would have expected. Any other names brought up?

Ian Kennedy and Ervin Santana (just posted about it in the Repository thread).

Kennedy because of his connection to Dave Eiland. Santana because he loved it here and they liked him.

Radar Chief
10-30-2014, 03:34 PM
Ian Kennedy and Ervin Santana (just posted about it in the Repository thread).

Kennedy because of his connection to Dave Eiland. Santana because he loved it here and they liked him.

:thumb:

BigMeatballDave
10-30-2014, 03:34 PM
He's acting professionally in public. Heard some disturbing things about him behind the scenes making fun of some of the young players for talking about "loyalty."

Oh, do tell!

BigMeatballDave
10-30-2014, 03:36 PM
I hope Billy lands on his feet someplace, because I think he's a good guy. There's been a trend of fat guys playing third base lately...

Yep.

Panda sure doesn't play like he's fat.

He looks like he's got 50lbs on Billy.

Hootie
10-30-2014, 03:36 PM
I don't really care to bash Shields.

We'll be ok next year.

93 wins, IMO

tk13
10-30-2014, 03:39 PM

I think that the hardest thing about last night is there are no guarantees. But that said, the A's have had a couple very nice runs. The Twins had a 7-8 year period where they were good every year. The Rays obviously. The Pirates are in the midst of what will probably be a solid 5-6 year run.

Even the Rockies, who were considered a one and done miracle story... they actually made the playoffs again a couple years after the WS run. But they play in such a terrible ballpark for pitchers, it's going to be hard for them to sustain a great rotation year to year. The Royals usually spend as much or more as all those teams, at least under Dayton. It's just making smart decisions.

Hootie
10-30-2014, 03:40 PM
we literally won 89 games this year with absolutely no hitting, at all

none

If Moose and Hosmer both find a way to be regular season performers and have .OPS of around .800 and we add another bat or two

I think 93-95 wins is very realistic.

EPodolak
10-30-2014, 03:41 PM

He's a kid at 32 himself and will have a thing or two to learn about the topic.

tk13
10-30-2014, 03:45 PM
The part that stinks is there will probably be people who think "same 'ol cheap Royals" when Shields and Butler walk. Hopefully that doesn't become the story.

Hootie
10-30-2014, 03:46 PM
We should still have a payroll north of $100M in 2015 if you ask me.

BigMeatballDave
10-30-2014, 03:52 PM
We should still have a payroll north of $100M in 2015 if you ask me.

Yep. Especially after 8 home post-season games.

That is a lot of coin.

Hootie
10-30-2014, 03:53 PM
we should be a very popular place for a SP who wants to earn a 1 year "prove it" deal to bolster their 2016 value...

our insane defense and pitcher friendly park is a dream scenario for one of those guys

BIG_DADDY
10-30-2014, 03:59 PM
Do you guys sell out all your games?

BigMeatballDave
10-30-2014, 04:04 PM
Do you guys sell out all your games?

Only about 10-15k per game...

BIG_DADDY
10-30-2014, 04:09 PM

It's gotta be tough to compete with teams like SF that sell out all the time. I was looking at season tickets for next year. OK seats are like 8k for two, nothing special. I gotta do something though the stadium is a rocks throw away. Maybe I will split it two or three ways.

Chiefs Scratch
10-30-2014, 04:10 PM
Hopefully they can get him food relative value

duncan_idaho
10-30-2014, 04:16 PM

What are you talking about?

The Royals averaged 24k fans a game this season (actually a 12 percent increase). They sold out every playoff game.

I expect them to be around 27-28k a game next year, assuming the team contends all year. Season ticket sales are going to jump. You'll have a lot of corporate ownership of season tickets now.

BigMeatballDave
10-30-2014, 04:30 PM
What are you talking about?

The Royals averaged 24k fans a game this season (actually a 12 percent increase). They sold out every playoff game.

I expect them to be around 27-28k a game next year, assuming the team contends all year. Season ticket sales are going to jump. You'll have a lot of corporate ownership of season tickets now.

LOL

It was a joke, and I pulled those numbers out of my ass and was thinking post-season games.

Thought it was an obvious joke.

:)

RealSNR
10-30-2014, 04:34 PM
It's gotta be tough to compete with teams like SF that sell out all the time. I was looking at season tickets for next year. OK seats are like 8k for two, nothing special. I gotta do something though the stadium is a rocks throw away. Maybe I will split it two or three ways.

That's also because you practically have to pay money just to breathe fucking air in that town

DaveNull
10-30-2014, 04:56 PM

Just get ahold of the ticket office and find some friends to commit to a number of games. They'll come up with some weird way to pull everything together that might include buying one season ticket, then immediately exchanging them for multiple seats for 15-20 games or something like that.

They're definitely more flexible than the Chiefs.

Prison Bitch
10-30-2014, 05:06 PM

You can contribute to the Matt Cain retirement fund

Prison Bitch
10-30-2014, 05:12 PM
People found it so funny Fat-Ass was pictured gorging himself on Joes BBQ yesterday. But I didn't. It showed a sloth who couldn't even bother to eat decent during a freakin WS. And sure as shit the lardo barely made it home on Alex' double.

Obv he'd have been faster If he cared about his weight and trained even moderately. DM is a no-nonsense guy so when Fattys bat left him, all that was left was a slovenly bucket of goo.

BigMeatballDave
10-30-2014, 05:16 PM
People found it so funny Fat-Ass was pictured gorging himself on Joes BBQ yesterday. But I didn't. It showed a sloth who couldn't even bother to eat decent during a freakin WS. And sure as shit the lardo barely made it home on Alex' double.

Obv he'd have been faster If he cared about his weight and trained even moderately. DM is a no-nonsense guy so when Fattys bat left him, all that was left was a slovenly bucket of goo.

Tons of stupid in this post.

Prison Bitch
10-30-2014, 05:19 PM
Like I said, we have a rube fanbase (cough cough) who thinks its cool the guy eats garbage. Of course had he been thrown out and the inning ruined, you'd have just blamed Yost somehow

Coach
10-30-2014, 05:23 PM
The part that stinks is there will probably be people who think "same 'ol cheap Royals" when Shields and Butler walk. Hopefully that doesn't become the story.

Not me. To me, that's the right business decision. Butler has declined, and his value isn't high as it once was.

Shields, I love the guy, and he was a great addition, but he's going to get paid, and it's not fiscally smart for the Royals to try to sign him for what I suspect a large contract.

That money will eventually will go to arbitration eligible players anyways, so....

Coach
10-30-2014, 05:32 PM

That's the good move. I enjoyed Butler's time here, but it is time for a change of scenery for everyone involved. I wish Billy nothing but the best.

I also figured Shields would be gone. Duncan, would your source know if KC will offer the qualifying offer to Shields? I mean, common sense would say yes, because you want a draft pick out of it, but thought I would ask.

Are they still interested in resigning Aoki? If so, why. Just curious on that one.

DaveNull
10-30-2014, 05:55 PM

I never thought I'd see the day when i agreed with PB. Too slow and neither athletic or smart enough to play defense. His weak ass display in Game 5 as a pinch hitter was embarrassing and his little outburst after getting struck out by MadBum last night shows he doesn't have the mental toughness we need either.

As far as shields goes, he's such an outlier on the payroll that I think he's got to walk. If he was a lights out ace like Bumgarder it might be a different story but I think he's an above average starter.

penbrook
10-30-2014, 06:25 PM
Saturday is the deadline for Royals to pick up Billy Butler's $12.5 million option. Sources say they are expected to decline. As you know.

penbrook
10-30-2014, 08:15 PM
Per Jon Heyman

Royals expected to decline billy butlers $12M option. With aoki a free agent, may pursue torii hunter (they tried 7 yrs ago)