PDA

View Full Version : Food and Drink I need opinions on oatmeal raisin cookies.

TimBone
10-30-2014, 11:46 AM
My wife and I were having a conversation about cookies last night. My favorite cookie is oatmeal raisin, and I've always been under the impression that I'm in the minority.

She swears up and down that it's one of the most popular cookies.

So if you guys could just answer a few questions, I'd appreciate it.

Do you like Oatmeal Raisin cookies? When was the last time you had one? Where do you rate them on a scale of 1-10? How does it compare to other cookies?

Reerun_KC
10-30-2014, 11:48 AM
I like oatmeal and butterscotch chips... Not so much on the raisans....

J Diddy
10-30-2014, 11:51 AM
If it ain't got chocolate or peanut butter I don't want none.

Bugeater
10-30-2014, 11:52 AM
I've bitten into them one too many times thinking they were chocolate chip cookies. Fuck them and anyone who makes them.

Clyde Frog
10-30-2014, 11:52 AM
Look at a variety cookie tray after its been out for 30 minutes. Whats one type of cookie thats always left? Ill give you a hint: its not the snicker doodle, chocolate chip or peanut butter.

Dayze
10-30-2014, 11:53 AM
Raisins are devil poop.

J Diddy
10-30-2014, 11:55 AM
I've bitten into them one too many times thinking they were chocolate chip cookies. Fuck them and anyone who makes them.

ROFL

I about fell out of my chair. That was seriously the funniest cookie related comment I've ever read.

ptlyon
10-30-2014, 11:59 AM
Oatmeal sucks and raisins are nature's boogers

Sully
10-30-2014, 12:02 PM
Fuck oatmeal raisin cookies, and fuck you for liking them.

Sully
10-30-2014, 12:03 PM
I'm sorry... that wasn't fair.
Fuck oatmeal raisin cookies. I'm sure you're fine, even though you like to eat those pieces of shit.

Dayze
10-30-2014, 12:10 PM
I'm sorry... that wasn't fair.
**** oatmeal raisin cookies. I'm sure you're fine, even though you like to eat those pieces of shit.

LMAO

Frosty
10-30-2014, 12:26 PM
Oatmeal scotchies are awesome.

Oatmeal and raisins suck green snot bubbles.

ptlyon
10-30-2014, 12:29 PM
Oatmeal scotchies are awesome.

Isn't that a Tom and Jerry?

Katipan
10-30-2014, 12:31 PM
They are not the most popular in our bakery. But they're usually the only kind of cookie I'll eat there.

Old Dog
10-30-2014, 12:34 PM
I think they're probably in my top three or four cookies (Chocolate Chip and Apple Cinnamon are the only two I can think of that I like better) but judging by the other responses I am in the minority.

RollChiefsRoll
10-30-2014, 12:37 PM
If there chocolate chip, triple chocolate chip, macadamia nut, snickerdoodle, peanut butter, or pretty much any other kind of cookie available, why the FUCK would you eat oatmeal raisin?

The Franchise
10-30-2014, 12:39 PM
They're fine as long as there aren't nuts in them.

keg in kc
10-30-2014, 12:39 PM
Not my favorite, but I like them. I don't see how they'd be one of the 'most popular'.

Katipan
10-30-2014, 12:40 PM
If there chocolate chip, triple chocolate chip, macadamia nut, snickerdoodle, peanut butter, or pretty much any other kind of cookie available, why the **** would you eat oatmeal raisin?

They're sweet and juicy.

Snickerdoodles are dry, peanut butter sticks to the roof of your mouth, I love macadamia nuts, so no beef there, and chocolate chip is the country's favorite so I suppose we are just anarchists.

With cookies.

Dayze
10-30-2014, 12:45 PM
I think I found Katipan's recipe boook.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/2/22/Anarchistcookbookdsfg.jpg/220px-Anarchistcookbookdsfg.jpg

58-4ever
10-30-2014, 12:49 PM
I wouldn't feed oatmeal raisin to my dogs. White chocolate Macadamia Nut FTW son.

Just Passin' By
10-30-2014, 12:50 PM
My wife and I were having a conversation about cookies last night. My favorite cookie is oatmeal raisin, and I've always been under the impression that I'm in the minority.

Do you like Oatmeal Raisin cookies? When was the last time you had one? Where do you rate them on a scale of 1-10? How does it compare to other cookies?

They're great cookies, and they are a big seller in grocery stores.

bdj23
10-30-2014, 12:52 PM
I've bitten into them one too many times thinking they were chocolate chip cookies. **** them and anyone who makes them.

:clap:

F those things

scho63
10-30-2014, 12:59 PM
I'm not a fan of Oatmeal Raisin, just a great CRUNCHY plain Oatmeal cookie made with plenty of rolled oats and butter. Haven't had one in a real long time.

Most of today's cookies are too soft and chewy. I HATE chewy cookies and this trend to eat undercooked food like pizza with undercooked crust.

Sully
10-30-2014, 01:01 PM
I wouldn't feed oatmeal raisin to my dogs. White chocolate Macadamia Nut FTW son.

Well, yeah.

Raisins are poison to dogs.

Pablo
10-30-2014, 01:19 PM
I'm not a fan of Oatmeal Raisin, just a great CRUNCHY plain Oatmeal cookie made with plenty of rolled oats and butter. Haven't had one in a real long time.

Most of today's cookies are too soft and chewy. I HATE chewy cookies and this trend to eat undercooked food like pizza with undercooked crust.This is a trend?

JakeLV
10-30-2014, 01:23 PM
I'm actually in agreement with you. I thought that they were reviled.

I like oatmeal raisin cookies.

I LOVE oatmeal cookies sans raisins.

thabear04
10-30-2014, 01:28 PM
http://cdn.someecards.com/someecards/usercards/1330629205816_3989786.png

BucEyedPea
10-30-2014, 01:54 PM

I like than more than the ole' tiresome chocolate chip. I put them at a 7 but you gotta have a good recipe which contains walnuts. Coconut ain't bad in them either. I like them because they're less junky and still taste good. Plus I like oatmeal.

FlaChief58
10-30-2014, 01:55 PM
They're by no means my favorite, but I've been known to have a couple now and then.

It's been years since I've had any, but I've nearly cut out all sweets.... except ice cream.
Oh and almond M&Ms, but that's it. Ice Cream and almond M&Ms, that's all I need.
Oh and jolly ranchers. But that's it, ice cream, almond M&Ms and jolly ranchers, that's all I need

BucEyedPea
10-30-2014, 01:56 PM

Well white chocolate with Macadamia nuts are heaven.

FlaChief58
10-30-2014, 02:00 PM

This

mikey23545
10-30-2014, 02:02 PM
How can anyone stand those vile things?

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/xq90/745/u1gVJk.jpg (https://imageshack.com/i/kpu1gVJkj)

tooge
10-30-2014, 02:02 PM
Fuck all you losers! I love oatmeal/raisin cookies

ptlyon
10-30-2014, 02:06 PM
**** all you losers! I love oatmeal/raisin cookies

Hence your name, tooge

DaveNull
10-30-2014, 02:09 PM
Yes
A couple weeks ago
I rank them right behind chocolate chip
They must be chewy, maybe with a tiny bit of crunch on the edge.

tooge
10-30-2014, 02:11 PM
Yes
A couple weeks ago
I rank them right behind chocolate chip
They must be chewy, maybe with a tiny bit of crunch on the edge.

This!
Chocolate Chip
Chocolate chip with M&ms
Oatmeal raisin

In that order

lcarus
10-30-2014, 02:14 PM
Honestly I think I've grown to like oatmeal raisin over chocolate chip. If they're good.

Baby Lee
10-30-2014, 04:46 PM
They're sweet and juicy.

Snickerdoodles are dry, peanut butter sticks to the roof of your mouth, I love macadamia nuts, so no beef there, and chocolate chip is the country's favorite so I suppose we are just anarchists.

With cookies.

Initially came on to weigh in on O-R cookies, but gotta say first, you obviously haven't had good snickerdoodles.

If there's one thing it can be said I make better than most, it's snickerdoodles. Though truthfully it's just quality ingredients and attention to detail [ie, proper proportions of ingredients, no overmixing, temp control, don't over cook, etc.] I make them every holiday season and people literally seek me out to see if I have some to spare. Also I take them to parties and have often gotten 'did you bring them' before even a hello.

Re: Oatmeal Raisin, oats and raisins are the perfect way to keep cookies moist, but not soggy. I'd characterize O-Rs as; not the first cookie I'd take necessarily, but one I'm rarely disappointed in. An RC Cola of cookies.

Katipan
10-30-2014, 05:02 PM
My bad. Except for Baby Lee's holiday snickerdoodles, of course.

Just Passin' By
10-30-2014, 05:04 PM
From what I'm reading, oatmeal-raising cookies with icing must make some of you practically catatonic.

NinerDoug
10-30-2014, 05:11 PM
They are my favorite, better than any other cookie. They get a 10. Next closest competitor, chocolate chip, would get a 7.5.

Probably three weeks ago, last one. Peppridge Farm (sp?) are pretty good.

alpha_omega
10-30-2014, 05:14 PM
Minority here, they ain't no chocolate chip, but they are good.

Ming the Merciless
10-30-2014, 05:30 PM
yes

if done properly, one of my favorites

it cannot be too dry....must be moist and chewy maybe with a little crisp

also has to be a lot of brown sugar and dark flavors, not too sweet

Havent had a good one in a while, but they probably are my favorite cookie - 10/10

Ming the Merciless
10-30-2014, 05:35 PM
Although the samoa is up there too

http://www.thfire.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/Girl-Scout-Cookies.jpg

https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSbBBApXcPbb7lDH4G4sFh-VtT36Uy2sSDv0J6-N-cv2J_K0dRKHw

TimBone
10-30-2014, 05:37 PM
Initially came on to weigh in on O-R cookies, but gotta say first, you obviously haven't had good snickerdoodles.

If there's one thing it can be said I make better than most, it's snickerdoodles. Though truthfully it's just quality ingredients and attention to detail [ie, proper proportions of ingredients, no overmixing, temp control, don't over cook, etc.] I make them every holiday season and people literally seek me out to see if I have some to spare. Also I take them to parties and have often gotten 'did you bring them' before even a hello.

Re: Oatmeal Raisin, oats and raisins are the perfect way to keep cookies moist, but not soggy. I'd characterize O-Rs as; not the first cookie I'd take necessarily, but one I'm rarely disappointed in. An RC Cola of cookies.

Any way you could prepare and distribute these cookies amongst current thread participants in order to verify the above paragraph as fact?

TimBone
Also, you guys have confirmed my exact suspicions. My wife is dumb.

Ming the Merciless
Any way you could prepare and distribute these cookies amongst current thread participants in order to verify the above paragraph as fact?

we also demand pics

TimBone
10-30-2014, 05:38 PM
Although the samoa is up there too

http://www.thfire.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/Girl-Scout-Cookies.jpg

https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSbBBApXcPbb7lDH4G4sFh-VtT36Uy2sSDv0J6-N-cv2J_K0dRKHw

If I ever got a divorce and oatmeal raisin cookies were already spoken for, I'd probably marry a box of samoas.

kcxiv

Mine too, but i recently ran into a gluten allergy and well, they arent apart of my eating anymore which makes me fucking sad, but my god i love them lol My favorite, then and peanut butter.

Baby Lee
Fuck!! Thinking about oatmeal, and the comparison to chocolate chip, now has me jonzing for perhaps my favorite cookie of all time.

Chocolate oatmeal no-bakes.

http://whatdoiknow.typepad.com/what_do_i_know/images/2007/08/16/nobake.jpg

:drool:

Hammock Parties
10-30-2014, 05:39 PM
All cookies are good, but if there are ONLY oatmeal raisin cookies, I'm going to be throwing a fit that flour was wasted in what could have been chocolate chip.

Mr. Laz
10-30-2014, 05:40 PM
I need opinions on oatmeal raisin cookies.

awesome ...

keg in kc
10-30-2014, 05:41 PM
Oh man, I haven't had a samoa in years.

Those and Thin Mints I could eat by the box.

Fire Me Boy!
10-30-2014, 05:43 PM

Man, we can agree on the snicker doodles. I love those, and I make some mean ass snicker doodles, as well.

As for oatmeal raisin, I like them. But I do a spin using dried blueberries.

BigMeatballDave
10-30-2014, 05:45 PM
86 the raisins.

My sister made chocolate chip cookies and peanut butter coconut no-bake.

Outstanding!

TimBone
10-30-2014, 05:45 PM
Man, we can agree on the snicker doodles. I love those, and I make some mean ass snicker doodles, as well.

Interesting on the dried blueberries.

TimBone
10-30-2014, 05:46 PM
Snickerdoodle bake-off between FMB And Baby Lee.

Fire Me Boy!
10-30-2014, 05:50 PM
Fuck!! Thinking about oatmeal, and the comparison to chocolate chip, now has me jonzing for perhaps my favorite cookie of all time.

No bake cookies are fucking gross.

Hammock Parties
10-30-2014, 05:53 PM

Yep. Just a pile of shit.

A real cookie is the result of delicious chemistry.

TimBone
10-30-2014, 05:58 PM
86 the raisins.

My sister made chocolate chip cookies and peanut butter coconut no-bake.

Outstanding!

I've never understood the appeal of the no-bake.

BigMeatballDave
10-30-2014, 06:00 PM

Blasphemy!

BigMeatballDave
10-30-2014, 06:02 PM
You fuckers have just had some lousy no-bake cookies.

What's not to like, really?

Hammock Parties
10-30-2014, 06:03 PM
You fuckers have just had some lousy no-bake cookies.

What's not to like, really?

I'm sure they're tasty, but don't compare to real cookies.

Fire Me Boy!
10-30-2014, 06:09 PM

I don't even think they're tasty.

Dayze
10-30-2014, 06:17 PM

hell yes...

Baby Lee
10-30-2014, 06:19 PM

I completely respect your right to be completely wrong.

BigMeatballDave
10-30-2014, 06:19 PM

True, I do prefer baked.

BigMeatballDave
10-30-2014, 06:20 PM

When did you die inside?

:)

Dayze
10-30-2014, 06:21 PM
Also, you guys have confirmed my exact suspicions. My wife is dumb.

LMAO

Hydrae
10-30-2014, 06:22 PM
A lady at work came around with an assorted box of cookies. I grabbed the last snickerdoodle (wasn't as good as homemade by a long shot!) and my co-worker grabbed the last chocolate with white chips. As she walked off she commented that no one had seemed to want the oatmeal raisin.

The way she was holding the box left the oatmeal raisin in the bottom corner and I didn't see them. Otherwise I probably would have grabbed one of those instead. But I agree with others, it is not my favorite. But a good moist o-r cookie is never a bad choice.

Hammock Parties
10-30-2014, 06:23 PM

It's a bunch of chocolate and carbs, nothing in there you don't like.

Fire Me Boy!
10-30-2014, 06:23 PM
I completely respect your right to be completely wrong.

When did you die inside?

LMAO

I've never liked them, even when I was a kid.

Fire Me Boy!
10-30-2014, 06:25 PM

It's a flavor and textual thing. I don't care for the raw oats.

Baby Lee
10-30-2014, 06:25 PM
LMAO

I've never liked them, even when I was a kid.

What's your opinion of fudge? b/c the one's I'm thinking of remind me of fudge rolled in oats. Basically fudge with some chew to it.

Buzz
10-30-2014, 06:30 PM

This would be my first choice but give me a gooey symphony brownie and I will kick a cookie to the curb.

Sully
10-30-2014, 06:30 PM

It's a God Damned travesty that they are even called cookies. They are a lump of shitty chocolate and oatmeal.

No bake cookies belong in hell.

Fire Me Boy!
10-30-2014, 06:33 PM
It's a God Damned travesty that they are even called cookies. They are a lump of shitty chocolate and oatmeal.

No bake cookies belong in hell.

http://i932.photobucket.com/albums/ad165/sblaha516/youre-goddamn-right-gif_zps90087ac3.gif

TimBone
10-30-2014, 06:34 PM
This would be my first choice but give me a gooey symphony brownie and I will kick a cookie to the curb.

THIS THREAD IS NOT ABOUT BROWNIES

Fire Me Boy!
10-30-2014, 06:34 PM
What's your opinion of fudge? b/c the one's I'm thinking of remind me of fudge rolled in oats. Basically fudge with some chew to it.

I like fudge, but I don't care for nuts or other accessories in my fudge.

Buzz
10-30-2014, 06:36 PM
THIS THREAD IS NOT ABOUT BROWNIES

just say'n

TimBone
10-30-2014, 06:38 PM
just say'n

I agree, too. I can kill some fucking brownies.

BucEyedPea
10-30-2014, 06:38 PM
Mine too, but i recently ran into a gluten allergy and well, they arent apart of my eating anymore which makes me ****ing sad, but my god i love them lol My favorite, then and peanut butter.

Switch the flour out. Oops! I forgot there's gluten in oatmeal. Or is there?

Anyhow, there's very good gluten free recipes for your favorite baked goods. Just google gluten-free what you like or even oatmeal raisin cookies. Something will turn up. I am allergic to wheat and learned how to change things out. There's also gluten free cookbooks and baking books now too.

Now, I just remembered I saw package of oatmeal that claimed to be gluten free. So I found this. Pure oatmeal is gluten free.... but most out there are not pure. They've been cross contaminated with wheat,barely and rye.

This page list brands that are safe. Good Luck and may you enjoy an oatmeal raisin cookie again sometime.

http://celiacdisease.about.com/od/glutenfreegrains/f/Is-Oatmeal-Gluten-Free.htm

cosmo20002
10-30-2014, 06:39 PM

Oatmeal raisin is up there in my favorites, and I have found the same--most people don't like them.

BucEyedPea
10-30-2014, 06:41 PM

Reading lately that chocolate helps memory and even restores it. Good for aging. Chocolate! It's one helluva fruit.:D

BucEyedPea
10-30-2014, 06:43 PM

That sounds nice too. Even cranberries or cranberries, white chocolate chips and nuts...even coconut. Heck! Throw the kitchen sink in 'em!

EDITED: fixed "chops" for "chips."

Bugeater
10-30-2014, 06:48 PM
I agree, too. I can kill some fucking brownies.
Just don't put any goddamn walnuts on them. I don't know how many pans of brownies my mom ruined over the years by putting those fucking things on them.

BucEyedPea
10-30-2014, 06:56 PM

Never had one of those. I've had peanut butter or cream cheese brownies though. Some claim a brownie is a cookie. Others say it's a cross between the two. Cookie just means little cake.

http://www.ochef.com/1512.htm

BucEyedPea
10-30-2014, 06:56 PM
Just don't put any goddamn walnuts on them. I don't know how many pans of brownies my mom ruined over the years by putting those ****ing things on them.

Um, yum walnuts are awesome in brownies.

BucEyedPea
10-30-2014, 06:59 PM
http://i932.photobucket.com/albums/ad165/sblaha516/youre-goddamn-right-gif_zps90087ac3.gif

He talking about Meth cookies for Halloween?

Bugeater
10-30-2014, 07:01 PM
If you feel the need to top your brownies with something, this is the way to go:

http://familyspice.com/fs_photos/recipes/chocolate_chip_cookie_brownie/chocolate_chip_cookie_brownie3.jpg

Easy 6
10-30-2014, 07:03 PM
About the only time I can stand a raisin is in some trail mix, otherwise they're avoided... I'd sub in some choco chips for those cookies.

To each their own, I s'pose.

Hammock Parties
10-30-2014, 07:04 PM
If you feel the need to top your brownies with something, this is the way to go:

http://familyspice.com/fs_photos/recipes/chocolate_chip_cookie_brownie/chocolate_chip_cookie_brownie3.jpg

add cheesecake

http://www.handletheheat.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/Brownie-Bottom-Cookie-Dough-Cheesecake-Bars-3.jpg

Bugeater
10-30-2014, 07:06 PM
add cheesecake

http://www.handletheheat.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/Brownie-Bottom-Cookie-Dough-Cheesecake-Bars-3.jpg
Would kill.

cosmo20002
10-30-2014, 07:06 PM
The Hyvee bakery makes a good oatmeal raisin cookie.
But I hate the ones at Costco.

BucEyedPea
10-30-2014, 07:09 PM

What is it? It could be blueberries or chocolate chips in blonde brownie topping or cream cheese or coconut? Wait, it's not cooked chocolate chip ( also what a blonde brownie is) cookie batter is it?

BucEyedPea
10-30-2014, 07:09 PM
add cheesecake

Nice! I'd eat that in a second....if I was in the mood for something sweet that is.

Buzz
10-30-2014, 07:15 PM
Symphony Bar Brownies

July 6, 2012 by Megan (http://www.afterninetofive.net/author/megan/)
<INPUT class=jpibfi type=hidden data-jpibfi-url="http://www.afterninetofive.net/2012/07/symphony-bar-brownies/"> A friend told me this recipe for Symphony Bar Brownies a couple of years ago and it has been a huge hit every time I make them. I love the gooey-ness of the brownies and the candy bar center. I hope you love it too!
Here’s what you need:
+ 2 brownie mixes
{or you can make them from scratch if you are feeling brave :)}
+preferably 3 Symphony bars
{I accidentally only bought two last time I made them but it still worked. But usually you need 3 for a 13×9 pan}

http://i1.wp.com/www.afterninetofive.net/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/photo-67.jpg?zoom=2&resize=650%2C487Pin It (http://www.afterninetofive.net/2012/07/symphony-bar-brownies/photo-67/)

Steps:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees
2. Mix first brownie mix according to the instructions on the box. Pour into 13×9 pan.
3. Layer Symphony bars on top of the first brownie batter.
4. Mix together second brownie mix according to box instructions. Pour batter on top of Symphony bar layer.

http://i0.wp.com/www.afterninetofive.net/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/IMG_2022.jpg?zoom=2&resize=650%2C650Pin It (http://www.afterninetofive.net/2012/07/symphony-bar-brownies/img_2022/)

5. Cook brownies in a 350 degree oven for 45 minutes or until the middle is cooked through. You can check by inserting a knife or a toothpick in the center and it should come out clean.
6. While brownies are cookies, relax and lick the batter off the spoon :)

http://i1.wp.com/www.afterninetofive.net/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/photo-73.jpg?zoom=2&resize=650%2C650Pin It (http://www.afterninetofive.net/2012/07/symphony-bar-brownies/photo-73/)

7. Take brownies out of oven and let them cool for about an hour so the Symphony bars can harden a little bit in the middle. If you want them meltier, you don’t have to wait as long.
When they are done, they will look something like this:
{except I couldn’t take a good picture of them cause I stink at food picture skills}

http://i0.wp.com/www.afterninetofive.net/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/brownie-recipe-end-830x619.jpg?zoom=2&resize=650%2C487Pin It (http://www.afterninetofive.net/2012/07/symphony-bar-brownies/brownie-recipe-end/)

If you try this recipe I would love to hear what you think of it!
Or if you have any other candy bar suggestions to use instead of Symphony bars.
ENJOY!

TimBone
10-30-2014, 07:17 PM
Is that boxed brownie mix? You're about to be on the receiving end of an FMB rant. I can feel it in my bones.

Fire Me Boy!
10-30-2014, 07:19 PM
Symphony Bar Brownies

<INPUT class=jpibfi type=hidden data-jpibfi-url="http://www.afterninetofive.net/2012/07/symphony-bar-brownies/"> A friend told me this recipe for Symphony Bar Brownies a couple of years ago and it has been a huge hit every time I make them. I love the gooey-ness of the brownies and the candy bar center. I hope you love it too!
Here’s what you need:
+ 2 brownie mixes
{I accidentally only bought two last time I made them but it still worked. But usually you need 3 for a 13×9 pan}

http://i1.wp.com/www.afterninetofive.net/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/photo-67.jpg?zoom=2&resize=650%2C487Pin It (http://www.afterninetofive.net/2012/07/symphony-bar-brownies/photo-67/)

Steps:
2. Mix first brownie mix according to the instructions on the box. Pour into 13×9 pan.
4. Mix together second brownie mix according to box instructions. Pour batter on top of Symphony bar layer.

http://i0.wp.com/www.afterninetofive.net/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/IMG_2022.jpg?zoom=2&resize=650%2C650Pin It (http://www.afterninetofive.net/2012/07/symphony-bar-brownies/img_2022/)

5. Cook brownies in a 350 degree oven for 45 minutes or until the middle is cooked through. You can check by inserting a knife or a toothpick in the center and it should come out clean.

http://i1.wp.com/www.afterninetofive.net/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/photo-73.jpg?zoom=2&resize=650%2C650Pin It (http://www.afterninetofive.net/2012/07/symphony-bar-brownies/photo-73/)

7. Take brownies out of oven and let them cool for about an hour so the Symphony bars can harden a little bit in the middle. If you want them meltier, you don’t have to wait as long.
{except I couldn’t take a good picture of them cause I stink at food picture skills}

http://i0.wp.com/www.afterninetofive.net/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/brownie-recipe-end-830x619.jpg?zoom=2&resize=650%2C487Pin It (http://www.afterninetofive.net/2012/07/symphony-bar-brownies/brownie-recipe-end/)

ENJOY!

http://i.imgur.com/NtKvH8P.gif

Fire Me Boy!
10-30-2014, 07:20 PM
Is that boxed brownie mix? You're about to be on the receiving end of an FMB rant. I can feel it in my bones.

Boxed brownie and powdered gravy are not even close to the same thing.

TimBone
10-30-2014, 07:21 PM
Boxed brownie and powdered gravy are not even close to the same thing.

lol....well I didn't know that!

BucEyedPea
10-30-2014, 07:23 PM
How they don't just break up the bars to distribute throughout like chips? One whole layer...wow never saw that before.

BucEyedPea
10-30-2014, 07:24 PM
The two homemade cookies I am asked to make more of or bring as Chai and my English jam cookies. Chocolate chip is so conventional. I OD those when younger.

TimBone
10-30-2014, 07:25 PM
Wtf is an English jam cookie?

Edit: disregard. I googled. I've had them. I don't dislike them, but I don't care for them either.

Fire Me Boy!
10-30-2014, 07:25 PM
lol....well I didn't know that!

I really don't have an issue with. Over brownie mixes. Brownies -especially the really chewy kind - are pretty difficult from scratch. Most homemade brownies are either fudge-like or cake-like. Cook's Illustrated posits some of the thickeners is box mixes are responsible. Their "best ever" recipe is freaking amazing. Best brownies I've ever had. But boxes are good and easy.

Not so with powdered gravy. That stuff is the no bake cookie of the sauce world and belongs in hell.

Hammock Parties
10-30-2014, 07:32 PM

Edit: disregard. I googled. I've had them. I don't dislike them, but I don't care for them either.

Any prepackaged English cookie > American SHITE like oreos and chips ahoy.

http://i.huffpost.com/gen/1325037/thumbs/o-JAMMIE-DODGERS-facebook.jpg

TimBone
10-30-2014, 07:35 PM
Any prepackaged English cookie > American SHITE like oreos and chips ahoy.

http://i.huffpost.com/gen/1325037/thumbs/o-JAMMIE-DODGERS-facebook.jpg

That seems like a pretty broad claim.

TimBone
10-30-2014, 07:36 PM
I really don't have an issue with. Over brownie mixes. Brownies -especially the really chewy kind - are pretty difficult from scratch. Most homemade brownies are either fudge-like or cake-like. Cook's Illustrated posits some of the thickeners is box mixes are responsible. Their "best ever" recipe is freaking amazing. Best brownies I've ever had. But boxes are good and easy.

Not so with powdered gravy. That stuff is the no bake cookie of the sauce world and belongs in hell.

Yeah, but how about powdered gravy sprinkled over boxed brownies?

lewdog
10-30-2014, 07:38 PM
You probably like Dinosaur Mac 'N Cheese as your favorite dinner if you think Oatmeal Raisin are the best cookies.

stumppy
10-30-2014, 07:38 PM
Oatmeal Raisin = packed sawdust with flies in it.

Soft chewy Chocolate Chip = The MF'n King of cookies

Hammock Parties
10-30-2014, 07:40 PM
That seems like a pretty broad claim.

It's true.

Oreos, chips ahoy, fucking keebler elf shit...all garbage.

Let me show you the TRUTH

http://s3-ap-southeast-2.amazonaws.com/wc-prod-pim/JPEG_1000x1000/AR214311_arnotts_arnott_s_chocolate_selection_biscuits_400g_n_a.jpg

http://ohjoy.blogs.com/.a/6a00d8341c6a0853ef0133ed468b94970b-pi

In58men
10-30-2014, 07:41 PM
I heard if you add goldfish they are much better

Fire Me Boy!
10-30-2014, 07:42 PM
I heard if you add goldfish they are much better

LOL

ClevelandBronco
10-30-2014, 07:45 PM
Do you like Oatmeal Raisin cookies?

Yummy.

When was the last time you had one?

Last night.

Where do you rate them on a scale of 1-10?

Depends on the baker. 7-9. My mommy is the only one who makes a cookie that rates a 9.

How does it compare to other cookies?

Best cookie if you're actually hungry. If you're just trying to satisfy a sugar craving, I'd offer you something chocolatey.

lewdog
OP is a child.

Katipan
I'm going to go bake cookies you fuckers.

Easy 6
10-30-2014, 07:46 PM
Dem brit cookies DO look pretty damn good.

lewdog
10-30-2014, 07:47 PM

Address sent.

Nudes at your discretion.

TimBone
10-30-2014, 07:48 PM
It's true.

Oreos, chips ahoy, fucking keebler elf shit...all garbage.

Let me show you the TRUTH

http://s3-ap-southeast-2.amazonaws.com/wc-prod-pim/JPEG_1000x1000/AR214311_arnotts_arnott_s_chocolate_selection_biscuits_400g_n_a.jpg

http://ohjoy.blogs.com/.a/6a00d8341c6a0853ef0133ed468b94970b-pi
Sorry, I'd take Pepperidge Farm over all of that.

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/10/30/e18c12856de15d59b849061bce92320c.jpg

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/10/30/36cea78d40a6c6a537b2560959d16ff5.jpg

TimBone
10-30-2014, 07:48 PM
OP is a child.
LMAO

TimBone
10-30-2014, 07:49 PM
PM'ing my address.

lewdog
10-30-2014, 07:50 PM
PM'ing my address.

I'm first!

Wait your turn! You like shitty cookies anyway and I am sure she isn't baking Oatmeal Raisin unless she has a child in the house under 10.

Katipan
10-30-2014, 07:56 PM
I'm first!

Wait your turn! You like shitty cookies anyway and I am sure she isn't baking Oatmeal Raisin unless she has a child in the house under 10.

Just for that I'm going to name one lewdog.

Psyko Tek
10-30-2014, 07:56 PM

seven nation army has air support!!!!

Buzz
10-30-2014, 08:00 PM
Raisins in trail mix I can do, raisins in cookies, not so much.

Lonewolf Ed
10-30-2014, 08:02 PM
Substitute pecans for the raisins and I will gorge myself on those cookies. I like raisins, by the way, but not in oatmeal cookies so much.

BigMeatballDave
Oatmeal Raisin = packed sawdust with flies in it

LMAO

BigMeatballDave
Raisins in trail mix I can do, raisins in cookies, not so much.

Same here

Hammock Parties
10-30-2014, 08:04 PM
Substitute pecans for the raisins and I will gorge myself on those cookies.

Sometimes it's fun to just sit on the couch, watch movies and eat cookies all fucking day!

Katipan
10-30-2014, 08:04 PM
My lewdog cookie has oats, raisins, coconut, and chocolate chips. But my boring chocolate chip and m&m batch is going so lewdog is going to have to wait.

Katipan
10-30-2014, 08:05 PM
Clay is my peanut butter cookie because he too sticks to the roof of your mouth.

Not MY mouth.
YOUR mouth.

Just Passin' By
10-30-2014, 08:08 PM
Dem brit cookies DO look pretty damn good.

Just like over here, some are good and some are shit.

Buzz
10-30-2014, 08:11 PM
Clay is my peanut butter cookie because he too sticks to the roof of your mouth.

Not MY mouth.
YOUR mouth.

but your dog likes peanut butter... :doh!:

lewdog
10-30-2014, 08:16 PM
My lewdog cookie has oats, raisins, coconut, and chocolate chips. But my boring chocolate chip and m&m batch is going so lewdog is going to have to wait.

Why does your lewdog cookie have oats and raisins in it?

I don't want that stuff!!!!

luv
10-30-2014, 08:17 PM
Raisins are gross even when they're not in cookies. I put white chocolate chips in my oatmeal cookies.

Speaking of preferences, I'm probably weird, but, while I love nuts, I'm not big on nuts in my baked goods.

BigMeatballDave
10-30-2014, 08:20 PM
Raisins are gross even when they're not in cookies. I put white chocolate chips in my oatmeal cookies.

Speaking of preferences, I'm probably weird, but, while I love nuts, I'm not big on nuts in my baked goods.

Not weird. Not fond of nuts in baked goods either.

Hammock Parties
10-30-2014, 08:21 PM
I love nuts.

Baby Lee
10-30-2014, 08:21 PM

I don't like raisins much, unless they are in OR cookies, . . . but white chocolate is grosser [more gross??] than raisins. Dark semi-sweet or GTFO. White chocolate is damn near 'yogurt' chips.

Buzz
10-30-2014, 08:22 PM

how do you feel about nuts on your backside? just asking for a friend?

Katipan
10-30-2014, 08:24 PM
Clay is in the oven. Oh I should take pictures.

Except all my cookies look the same.

luv
10-30-2014, 08:26 PM
I don't like raisins much, unless they are in OR cookies, . . . but white chocolate is grosser [more gross??] than raisins. Dark semi-sweet or GTFO. White chocolate is damn near 'yogurt' chips.

I found cinnamon chips once. I put them in instead of adding the ground cinnamon the recipe called for. Hmmm... I wonder how bits of apple in cinnamon oatmeal cookies would do? I may have to try that one of these days. Anyway, while white chocolate isn't even chocolate, I wouldn't call them yogurt chips.

TimBone
10-30-2014, 08:26 PM

I created the fucking thread, the fucking inspiration for your cookies tonight, and I don't get a cookie named after me?

Mods, please close the thread.

stumppy
10-30-2014, 08:27 PM

So your Clay cookies look below average, needy, and gay curious ?

Valiant
10-30-2014, 08:27 PM
oatmeal raisin is delicious. The problem is most of your wives suck at making them.

Katipan
10-30-2014, 08:28 PM
I created the ****ing thread, the ****ing inspiration for your cookies tonight, and I don't get a cookie named after me?

Mods, please close the thread.

You ruined the surprise. :(

Katipan
10-30-2014, 08:30 PM
So your Clay cookies look below average, needy, and gay curious ?

They look safe but when you sink your teeth into them they rape your tongue with flavor.

I assume.

I don't really eat cookies.

I like peas.

Baby Lee
I'm of the firm opinion that the Toll House recipe is the exemplar for chocolate chip cookies. Not to sweet, perfect mix of crispy exterior and chewy exterior, a mere hint of salt. Only way to improve is higher quality/bigger chucks of chocolate.

Ingredients:

2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened
3/4 cup granulated sugar
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 large eggs
2 cups (12-oz. pkg.) NESTLÉ® TOLL HOUSE® Semi-Sweet Chocolate Morsels
1 cup chopped nuts
Directions:

PREHEAT oven to 375° F.

COMBINE flour, baking soda and salt in small bowl. Beat butter, granulated sugar, brown sugar and vanilla extract in large mixer bowl until creamy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Gradually beat in flour mixture. Stir in morsels and nuts. Drop by rounded tablespoon onto ungreased baking sheets.

BAKE for 9 to 11 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on baking sheets for 2 minutes; remove to wire racks to cool completely.

PAN COOKIE VARIATION: Preheat oven to 350° F. Grease 15 x 10-inch jelly-roll pan. Prepare dough as above. Spread into prepared pan. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until golden brown. Cool in pan on wire rack. Makes 4 dozen bars.

SLICE AND BAKE COOKIE VARIATION:
PREPARE dough as above. Divide in half; wrap in waxed paper. Refrigerate for 1 hour or until firm. Shape each half into 15-inch log; wrap in wax paper. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.* Preheat oven to 375° F. Cut into 1/2-inch-thick slices; place on ungreased baking sheets. Bake for 8 to 10 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on baking sheets for 2 minutes; remove to wire racks to cool completely. Makes about 5 dozen cookies.

TimBone
You ruined the surprise. :(
Story of my life.

Mr. Laz
oatmeal raisin is delicious. The problem is most of your wives suck at making them.

this

Katipan
10-30-2014, 08:32 PM
Cocoa butter is gross by itself. White chocolate chips are loaded with sugar and vanilla. Anyone object to more sugar and vanilla added to just about anything?

Except my peas?

Fire Me Boy!
10-30-2014, 08:32 PM
I'm of the firm opinion that the Toll House recipe is the exemplar for chocolate chip cookies. Not to sweet, perfect mix of crispy exterior and chewy exterior, a mere hint of salt. Only way to improve is higher quality/bigger chucks of chocolate.

Browned butter will elevate any chocolate chip cookie.

Hammock Parties
10-30-2014, 08:33 PM
They look safe but when you sink your teeth into them they rape your tongue with flavor.

I'm a passionate lover.

Mama Hip Rockets
10-30-2014, 08:33 PM
Oatmeal raisin cookies are awesome.

ClevelandBronco
10-30-2014, 08:40 PM

There is another way to improve it, IMHO. Perhaps you could give it a try sometime and see if you agree. Substitute cream cheese for half the butter and refrigerate the dough for a half hour after mixing. The cookie won't spread as much during baking, and the interior chewiness and exterior crispiness aren't compromised.

Katipan
10-30-2014, 08:48 PM
I'm a passionate lover.

You must be. I maybe kept you in a minute longer than I needed to.

Katipan
10-30-2014, 08:48 PM
I can't bake and CP at the same time.

This is a humbling moment.

Hammock Parties
10-30-2014, 08:52 PM
You must be. I maybe kept you in a minute longer than I needed to.

Sorry about the crumbs.

Katipan
10-30-2014, 09:34 PM
No one in my house knows why I made batches of cookies tonight but they're all enjoying eating you people.

TimBone
10-30-2014, 09:37 PM
No one in my house knows why I made batches of cookies tonight but they're all enjoying eating you people.
I'm so honored. And hungry.

cdcox
10-30-2014, 09:40 PM
Oatmeal raisin cookies are great. Love them.

My wife makes oatmeal cookies at Christmas time. She puts red and green M&M's in a few of them for decoration, but we both prefer them without the M&M's. She doesn't put raisins in them, but I would be fine if she did.

lewdog
10-30-2014, 09:45 PM

ROFL

LMAO

lewdog
10-30-2014, 09:46 PM
Pretty appropriate that mine's the biggest.

TimBone
10-30-2014, 09:53 PM
I thought the addition of the aids cookie was a nice touch.

Hammock Parties
10-30-2014, 09:54 PM

Yo cookies look fine, girl.

And of course I'm making this face.

http://i.imgur.com/jABqY3f.jpg

cdcox
10-30-2014, 09:57 PM
I haven't made them for a few years, but we make these cookies where you grind up raisins in a meat grinder. They also have cinnamon and nutmeg. No oatmeal. They are outstanding.

Katipan
10-30-2014, 09:59 PM
Yo cookies look fine, girl.

And of course I'm making this face.

http://i.imgur.com/jABqY3f.jpg

omg ROFL

Fire Me Boy!
10-31-2014, 07:40 AM
Perfect browned butter chocolate chip cookies

Avoid using a nonstick skillet to brown the butter; the dark color of the nonstick coating makes it difficult to gauge when the butter is browned. Use fresh, moist brown sugar instead of hardened brown sugar, which will make the cookies dry. This recipe works with light brown sugar, but the cookies will be less full-flavored. For our winning brand of chocolate chips, see related tasting.

INGREDIENTS

1 3/4 cups unbleached all-purpose flour (8 3/4 ounces)
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
14 tablespoons unsalted butter (1 3/4 sticks)
1/2 cup granulated sugar (3 1/2 ounces)
3/4 cups packed dark brown sugar (5 1/4 ounces) (see note)
1 teaspoon table salt
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 large egg
1 large egg yolk
1 1/4 cups semisweet chocolate chips or chunks (see note)
3/4 cup chopped pecans or walnuts, toasted (optional)

INSTRUCTIONS

1. Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 375 degrees. Line 2 large (18- by 12-inch) baking sheets with parchment paper. Whisk flour and baking soda together in medium bowl; set aside.

2. Heat 10 tablespoons butter in 10-inch skillet over medium-high heat until melted, about 2 minutes. Continue cooking, swirling pan constantly until butter is dark golden brown and has nutty aroma, 1 to 3 minutes. Remove skillet from heat and, using heatproof spatula, transfer browned butter to large heatproof bowl. Stir remaining 4 tablespoons butter into hot butter until completely melted.

3. Add both sugars, salt, and vanilla to bowl with butter and whisk until fully incorporated. Add egg and yolk and whisk until mixture is smooth with no sugar lumps remaining, about 30 seconds. Let mixture stand 3 minutes, then whisk for 30 seconds. Repeat process of resting and whisking 2 more times until mixture is thick, smooth, and shiny. Using rubber spatula or wooden spoon, stir in flour mixture until just combined, about 1 minute. Stir in chocolate chips and nuts (if using), giving dough final stir to ensure no flour pockets remain.

4. Divide dough into 16 portions, each about 3 tablespoons (or use #24 cookie scoop). Arrange 2 inches apart on prepared baking sheets, 8 dough balls per sheet. (Smaller baking sheets can be used, but will require 3 batches.)

5. Bake cookies 1 tray at a time until cookies are golden brown and still puffy, and edges have begun to set but centers are still soft, 10 to 14 minutes, rotating baking sheet halfway through baking. Transfer baking sheet to wire rack; cool cookies completely before serving.

Fire Me Boy!
10-31-2014, 07:41 AM
Big chewy oatmeal raisin cookies

If you prefer a less sweet cookie, you can reduce the white sugar by one-quarter cup, but you will lose some crispness. Do not overbake these cookies. The edges should be brown but the rest of the cookie should still be very light in color. Parchment makes for easy cookie removal and cleanup, but it’s not a necessity. If you don’t use parchment, let the cookies cool directly on the baking sheet for two minutes before transferring them to a cooling rack.

INGREDIENTS

1 1/2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups raisins (optional)
1/2 teaspoon table salt
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon fresh ground nutmeg
2 sticks unsalted butter (1/2 pound), softened but still firm
1 cup light brown sugar
1 cup granulated sugar
2 eggs
3 cups rolled oats

INSTRUCTIONS

1. Adjust oven racks to low and middle positions; heat oven to 350 degrees. In bowl of electric mixer or by hand, beat butter until creamy. Add sugars; beat until fluffy, about 3 minutes. Beat in eggs one at a time.

2. Mix flour, salt, baking powder, and nutmeg together, then stir them into butter-sugar mixture with wooden spoon or large rubber spatula. Stir in oats and optional raisins.

3. Form dough into sixteen to twenty 2-inch balls, placing each dough round onto one of two parchment paper–covered, large cookie sheets. Bake until cookie edges turn golden brown, 22 to 25 minutes. (Halfway during baking, turn cookie sheets from front to back and also switch them from top to bottom.) Slide cookies on parchment onto cooling rack. Let cool at least 30 minutes before serving.

Fire Me Boy!
10-31-2014, 07:42 AM
Chewy brownies

For the chewiest texture, it is important to let the brownies cool thoroughly before cutting. If your baking dish is glass, cool the brownies 10 minutes, then remove them promptly from the pan (otherwise, the superior heat retention of glass can lead to overbaking). While any high-quality chocolate can be used in this recipe, our preferred brands of bittersweet chocolate are Callebaut Intense Dark Chocolate L-60-40NV and Ghirardelli Bittersweet Chocolate Baking Bar. Our preferred brand of unsweetened chocolate is Scharffen Berger. Leftovers can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 4 days.

INGREDIENTS

1/3 cup Dutch-processed cocoa
1 1/2 teaspoons instant espresso (optional)
1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons boiling water
2 ounces unsweetened chocolate, finely chopped (see note)
4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, melted
1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 large eggs
2 large egg yolks
2 1/2 cups (17 1/2 ounces) sugar
1 3/4 cups (8 3/4 ounces) unbleached all-purpose flour
3/4 teaspoon table salt
6 ounces bittersweet chocolate, cut into 1/2-inch pieces (see note)

INSTRUCTIONS

1. Adjust oven rack to lowest position and heat oven to 350 degrees. Referring to directions in Making a Foil Sling (related), make sling using the following steps: Cut 18-inch length foil and fold lengthwise to 8-inch width. Fit foil into length of 13 by 9-inch baking pan, pushing it into corners and up sides of pan; allow excess to overhang pan edges. Cut 14-inch length foil and fit into width of pan in the same manner, perpendicular to the first sheet (if using extra-wide foil, fold second sheet lengthwise to 12-inch width). Spray with nonstick cooking spray.

2. Whisk cocoa, espresso powder (if using), and boiling water together in large bowl until smooth. Add unsweetened chocolate and whisk until chocolate is melted. Whisk in melted butter and oil. (Mixture may look curdled.) Add eggs, yolks, and vanilla and continue to whisk until smooth and homogeneous. Whisk in sugar until fully incorporated. Add flour and salt and mix with rubber spatula until combined. Fold in bittersweet chocolate pieces.

3. Scrape batter into prepared pan and bake until toothpick inserted halfway between edge and center comes out with just a few moist crumbs attached, 30 to 35 minutes. Transfer pan to wire rack and cool 1½ hours.

4. Using foil overhang, lift brownies from pan. Return brownies to wire rack and let cool completely, about 1 hour. Cut into 2-inch squares and serve.

KCUnited
10-31-2014, 08:03 AM
You gots to plump them raisins.

Simply Red
10-31-2014, 08:05 AM
If this is what you two argue about - than you're a much bigger dork than I originally thought, McFly. :p

Fire Me Boy!
Perfect browned butter chocolate chip cookies

Avoid using a nonstick skillet to brown the butter; the dark color of the nonstick coating makes it difficult to gauge when the butter is browned. Use fresh, moist brown sugar instead of hardened brown sugar, which will make the cookies dry. This recipe works with light brown sugar, but the cookies will be less full-flavored. For our winning brand of chocolate chips, see related tasting.

INGREDIENTS

1 3/4 cups unbleached all-purpose flour (8 3/4 ounces)
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
14 tablespoons unsalted butter (1 3/4 sticks)
1/2 cup granulated sugar (3 1/2 ounces)
3/4 cups packed dark brown sugar (5 1/4 ounces) (see note)
1 teaspoon table salt
1 large egg
1 large egg yolk
1 1/4 cups semisweet chocolate chips or chunks (see note)
3/4 cup chopped pecans or walnuts, toasted (optional)

INSTRUCTIONS

1. Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 375 degrees. Line 2 large (18- by 12-inch) baking sheets with parchment paper. Whisk flour and baking soda together in medium bowl; set aside.

2. Heat 10 tablespoons butter in 10-inch skillet over medium-high heat until melted, about 2 minutes. Continue cooking, swirling pan constantly until butter is dark golden brown and has nutty aroma, 1 to 3 minutes. Remove skillet from heat and, using heatproof spatula, transfer browned butter to large heatproof bowl. Stir remaining 4 tablespoons butter into hot butter until completely melted.

3. Add both sugars, salt, and vanilla to bowl with butter and whisk until fully incorporated. Add egg and yolk and whisk until mixture is smooth with no sugar lumps remaining, about 30 seconds. Let mixture stand 3 minutes, then whisk for 30 seconds. Repeat process of resting and whisking 2 more times until mixture is thick, smooth, and shiny. Using rubber spatula or wooden spoon, stir in flour mixture until just combined, about 1 minute. Stir in chocolate chips and nuts (if using), giving dough final stir to ensure no flour pockets remain.

4. Divide dough into 16 portions, each about 3 tablespoons (or use #24 cookie scoop). Arrange 2 inches apart on prepared baking sheets, 8 dough balls per sheet. (Smaller baking sheets can be used, but will require 3 batches.)

5. Bake cookies 1 tray at a time until cookies are golden brown and still puffy, and edges have begun to set but centers are still soft, 10 to 14 minutes, rotating baking sheet halfway through baking. Transfer baking sheet to wire rack; cool cookies completely before serving.

These are the best chocolate chip cookies I've ever had.

Fire Me Boy!
Chewy brownies

For the chewiest texture, it is important to let the brownies cool thoroughly before cutting. If your baking dish is glass, cool the brownies 10 minutes, then remove them promptly from the pan (otherwise, the superior heat retention of glass can lead to overbaking). While any high-quality chocolate can be used in this recipe, our preferred brands of bittersweet chocolate are Callebaut Intense Dark Chocolate L-60-40NV and Ghirardelli Bittersweet Chocolate Baking Bar. Our preferred brand of unsweetened chocolate is Scharffen Berger. Leftovers can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 4 days.

INGREDIENTS

1/3 cup Dutch-processed cocoa
1 1/2 teaspoons instant espresso (optional)
1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons boiling water
2 ounces unsweetened chocolate, finely chopped (see note)
4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, melted
1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 large eggs
2 large egg yolks
2 1/2 cups (17 1/2 ounces) sugar
1 3/4 cups (8 3/4 ounces) unbleached all-purpose flour
3/4 teaspoon table salt
6 ounces bittersweet chocolate, cut into 1/2-inch pieces (see note)

INSTRUCTIONS

1. Adjust oven rack to lowest position and heat oven to 350 degrees. Referring to directions in Making a Foil Sling (related), make sling using the following steps: Cut 18-inch length foil and fold lengthwise to 8-inch width. Fit foil into length of 13 by 9-inch baking pan, pushing it into corners and up sides of pan; allow excess to overhang pan edges. Cut 14-inch length foil and fit into width of pan in the same manner, perpendicular to the first sheet (if using extra-wide foil, fold second sheet lengthwise to 12-inch width). Spray with nonstick cooking spray.

2. Whisk cocoa, espresso powder (if using), and boiling water together in large bowl until smooth. Add unsweetened chocolate and whisk until chocolate is melted. Whisk in melted butter and oil. (Mixture may look curdled.) Add eggs, yolks, and vanilla and continue to whisk until smooth and homogeneous. Whisk in sugar until fully incorporated. Add flour and salt and mix with rubber spatula until combined. Fold in bittersweet chocolate pieces.

3. Scrape batter into prepared pan and bake until toothpick inserted halfway between edge and center comes out with just a few moist crumbs attached, 30 to 35 minutes. Transfer pan to wire rack and cool 1½ hours.

4. Using foil overhang, lift brownies from pan. Return brownies to wire rack and let cool completely, about 1 hour. Cut into 2-inch squares and serve.

And these are the best brownies I've ever had.

Lzen
10-31-2014, 08:08 AM
I like oatmeal raisin cookies but I wouldn't put them at the top of my list. Chocolate chip and peanut butter would be my favorites.

BucEyedPea
10-31-2014, 08:12 AM

Don't know what you googled, but my homemade ones are a Martha Stewart recipe which goes fast with demands to make more. Has to be the right preserves. Sent to a bunch of college girls who live in a house — same thing. Want more. They are girly though.

BucEyedPea
10-31-2014, 08:15 AM
There is another way to improve it, IMHO. Perhaps you could give it a try sometime and see if you agree. Substitute cream cheese for half the butter and refrigerate the dough for a half hour after mixing. The cookie won't spread as much during baking, and the interior chewiness and exterior crispiness aren't compromised.

I'll bet it's just the chilling that prevents the spreading. It's recommended to do that when baking shaped cookies, to keep the shape when spreading destroys the shape. I've had the chocolate chip with some cream cheese and they are stellar.

Toll House cookies originated in Massachusetts. :thumb:

BucEyedPea
10-31-2014, 08:17 AM
Scharffen Berger —nice!

What do you think of Valrhona?

MahiMike
10-31-2014, 08:29 AM
wtf? Oatmeal? with raisins? favorite cookie?

There is only 1 type of cookie in this world. Chocolate chip. Everything else is a faux cookie.

Fire Me Boy!
10-31-2014, 08:30 AM
I'll bet it's just the chilling that prevents the spreading. It's recommended to do that when baking shaped cookies, to keep the shape when spreading destroys the shape. I've had the chocolate chip with some cream cheese and they are stellar.

Toll House cookies originated in Massachusetts. :thumb:

https://38.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m26zc7GsW61qb4955o1_500.gif

Fire Me Boy!
10-31-2014, 08:31 AM
Scharffen Berger —nice!

What do you think of Valrhona?

Never tried it.

Rain Man
10-31-2014, 09:52 AM
wtf? Oatmeal? with raisins? favorite cookie?

There is only 1 type of cookie in this world. Chocolate chip. Everything else is a faux cookie.

There was some show on TV recently about the "100 most influential fast foods" or something like that. They defined fast food very broadly, including everything from snack foods to grilled cheese to bagels. I didn't get to see the whole thing, but it was actually quite interesting, even if some of the rankings were flawed.

They had the chocolate chip cookie ranked somewhere around 50, and had some amazing stat about how common it was. I think they said that around half of all cookies baked in the U.S. are chocolate chip. That's a huge market share for a product with so many varieties.

cmh6476
10-31-2014, 09:55 AM
no, don't recall, 1

J Diddy
10-31-2014, 09:57 AM

Brownies are missing 1 key ingredient to become the best I've ever had.

Bet you can't guess what that is

BucEyedPea
10-31-2014, 09:58 AM
And remember all that chocolate is really a fruit serving—rich in anti-oxidants.

TimBone
10-31-2014, 10:01 AM

Semen.

TimBone
10-31-2014, 10:02 AM
If this is what you two argue about - than you're a much bigger dork than I originally thought, McFly. :p
Oh, SR, if only you knew...

DRU
10-31-2014, 10:56 AM
Oatmeal raison cookies are the best!!!

Mav
10-31-2014, 10:58 AM
I'm a huge fan. I prefer them to all others

Chief Pote
10-31-2014, 11:08 AM
You bunch of fatties. Start a food thread and it goes to the HOF.

I'd give them a 5. Don't hate them and don't like them, I'm on the fence, rather indifferent. I hope that helps. :p

Dayze
10-31-2014, 11:15 AM
Semen.
LMAO

Fire Me Boy!
10-31-2014, 11:18 AM

Goldfish crackers?

Fire Me Boy!
10-31-2014, 03:25 PM
Symphony Bar Brownies

Here’s what you need:
+ 2 brownie mixes

Steps:

ENJOY!

I'm not sayin' one way or the other... but there either are or are not box brownie mixes and candy bars in my car.

TimBone
10-31-2014, 03:26 PM
I'm not sayin' one way or the other... but there either are or are not box brownie mixes and candy bars in my car.
Pre-packaged candy bars? For shame.

Fire Me Boy!
10-31-2014, 03:27 PM
Pre-packaged candy bars? For shame.

I'm not making toffee just to add to boxed brownies.

vailpass
10-31-2014, 03:30 PM
I'm not making toffee just to add to boxed brownies.

I gained three pounds and caught diabetes reading your post. Heading to gym now...

Fire Me Boy!
11-05-2014, 08:21 AM
Symphony Bar Brownies

Here’s what you need:
+ 2 brownie mixes

Steps:

ENJOY!

These brownies are ****ing sinful. I had to make my wife take them to her work to get them the hell out of my sight.

Just Passin' By
11-11-2014, 07:58 PM
Symphony Bar Brownies

We're heading out to relatives for Thanksgiving, I've been assigned lardons as my dish, and we always have a bunch of different desserts made. That means I'll probably try making these for Christmas. I'll let you know what people thought. They look like a great idea.