PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Mellinger: In the Jets, there's a lesson for Chiefs fan about taking the safe route

Deberg_1990
10-30-2014, 07:49 PM
http://www.kansascity.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/sam-mellinger/article3481340.html

In the structure of the modern NFL, the most important decision a franchise can make is who plays quarterback. Two years ago, two franchises walked away from this decision on two very different paths.

The Chiefs played it safe, were largely criticized for it, then made the playoffs and have a chance to do it again this season. The Jets took the gamble that many in Kansas City had been screaming for, and are now 1-7 in what is a virtual certainty to be a fourth consecutive season without the playoffs.

They will play this weekend at Arrowhead Stadium in what for Chiefs fans could be fairly called The Upside of Boring.

Boring hardly ever plays well with sports fans, right? We want bold, we want daring. We want to toast those with enough guts to go for it all and laugh at the cowards who don’t.

But when it came time for the Chiefs’ new power structure to choose a quarterback, they did it with all of the flair of a ham sandwich.

They traded for a known commodity in Alex Smith, a man who had demonstrated what scouts often call “a high floor” but also “a low ceiling” which is often translated by fans and media as “weak sauce.” Then, when Smith performed well in their system and with their coaches, they signed him to a long-term extension for a higher salary than two-time Super Bowl champion Eli Manning, among others. Solid, logical, conservative thinking.

This has always been the Chiefs’ way. Trading for the 49ers’ backup quarterback is a time-honored tradition here.

One of the byproducts of this approach is a fan base that often clamors for bold, for daring, for, come to think of it, what the Jets sometimes do.

Two years ago, the same offseason when the Chiefs traded for Smith, the Jets were coming off 6-10 and also needed a quarterback. They’d drafted Mark Sanchez four years earlier with the fifth overall pick and watched him deteriorate from promising to an unplayable mess. They felt a compelling need to upgrade, to find the quarterback of their future.

Many around Kansas City wanted the Chiefs to draft Geno Smith, the three-year starter at West Virginia who completed 67 percent of his passes for 98 touchdowns and 21 interceptions.

Full disclosure, I was in that crowd, at least until hearing from league insiders who questioned his drive, personality and ability to read defenses, among other things. Every draft prospect is questioned, obviously, but there was something different about the tone and scope of the criticism of Smith. It’s one reason he fell into the second round, and surely one reason the Chiefs went with a different Smith at quarterback.

Coincidence or not, Geno Smith has been fairly terrible in his short time in the NFL. He’s thrown 19 touchdowns and 31 interceptions. By passer rating, Total Quarterback Rating, and the advanced metrics at Pro Football Focus and Football Outsiders, Smith is either the worst, second-worst, or third-worst quarterback this season.

He was benched this week. Michael Vick, who has completed 26 of 56 passes this season, will start instead.

Think the Jets would like that pick back?

Alex Smith was the top overall pick in the 2005 draft, but generally lacks the type of elite, obvious, natural ability that fans and scouts like in brand name quarterbacks.

The story about the Chiefs’ Smith is often the story about what he isn’t. He’s a good athlete with a great feel for the pocket, but can’t really be called elusive. He reads defenses well and is usually quite accurate, but has occasional lapses and doesn’t throw the best deep ball.

The Chiefs lost at the goal line as time expired in Denver, and with an interception on their final drive in San Francisco. The quarterback is the one who gets the most credit when things go well (like the two-minute drill that won a game in San Diego) and the one with the most blame when things fail. That’s part of the job description.

But in Smith’s case, it misses the point that the Chiefs are 11th in the league in scoring with a flimsy group of receivers and an offensive line that struggles in pass protection.

Jamaal Charles is the star of the offense, obviously, the one defenses plan for every week. But Smith makes enough good decisions, and is reliable enough with short and medium-range passes, to keep the offense moving and — through a season and a half in Kansas City — the Chiefs winning.

Now, clearly, the Chiefs would love to draft and develop their own quarterback. That has proven to be the most successful way to find a top passer and win Super Bowls.

But the Chiefs picked first overall the year after Andrew Luck. They went boring, and traded for a guy who led them to the playoffs. The Jets reached, and drafted a guy they just benched.

Boring is better, sometimes.

Hammock Parties
10-30-2014, 07:50 PM
Don't try!

Rausch
10-30-2014, 07:53 PM
Don't try!

If you take risks they might backfire...

Rausch
10-30-2014, 07:55 PM
Do they mention at any points the Jets went to two AFCC games while the Chiefs (safe) route won us 2 playoff games in 20 years?...

RealSNR
10-30-2014, 07:55 PM
I don't fucking believe it.

We went from Saving Our Chiefs from "safe route" QBs that the myopic GMs know well... to sucking our own cocks for repeating the same fucking process that got us into that earlier mess. All in under two years.

If I weren't a KC fan, I would hate the Chiefs more than any other team in the league

GloucesterChief
10-30-2014, 07:57 PM
Does Mellinger not understand that no matter who is in the Jets front office because they are the Jets they will draft horribly?

Whomever is the Jets GM turns into Matt Millen as if by magic.

Easy 6
Heres another prime candidate for *thread tools/ignore*

I'm really starting to enjoy that feature, I dont have to block a single user, just a single topic... it keeps me from peeking into threads I'm sure to hate with all my guts and getting sucked into them.

Bearcat
LMAO

The battle cry of the Chiefs: We might make the playoffs!

I was at a bar in LA this past Sunday with a surprising number of Chiefs fans and they just ate up that shit, along with of course 78,000 people at Arrowhead.... can't risk taking that away, beating shitty teams in October.

Poor Jets fans don't have the chance to watch mediocre football this year. :(

GoChargers
10-30-2014, 07:58 PM
Man, I bet the Colts, Seahawks, Giants, Steelers, etc. wish they went the "safe route"!

Hammock Parties
10-30-2014, 07:58 PM
Go the safe route and you too can be in third place in your division!

O.city
10-30-2014, 08:01 PM
Go the safe route and you too can be in third place in your division!

Better than the other route and being in last I guess.

Bearcat
10-30-2014, 08:02 PM
I don't fucking believe it.

We went from Saving Our Chiefs from "safe route" QBs that the myopic GMs know well... to sucking our own cocks for repeating the same fucking process that got us into that earlier mess. All in under two years.

If I weren't a KC fan, I would hate the Chiefs more than any other team in the league

If I didn't know any better, I'd be looking for a link to The Onion... but, it's different this time!

Hammock Parties
Better than the other route and being in last I guess.

One example proves it beyond a shadow of a doubt!

Mellinger wrote a dumb fucking blowjob article. He should be ashamed.

ModSocks
Man, I bet the Colts, Seahawks, Giants, Steelers, etc. wish they went the "safe route"!

The Seahawks lucked into their QB. The Colts, Giants and Steelers all took QB's that had a higher floor and less questions than Geno Smith.

Naturally, a lot of you failed to realize that the point of the article was not to dismiss the idea of taking a 1st round QB, but to reinforce the idea that blindly drafting one just because you want one isn't always the best idea.

Just Passin' By
10-30-2014, 08:03 PM
There's not really anything controversial in the article. The guy's right. In the 'battle' of Geno v. Alex, Alex is the clear winner.

O.city
10-30-2014, 08:04 PM

Mellinger wrote a dumb ****ing blowjob article. He should be ashamed.

He proclaims Alex smith was the right choice. You proclaimed matt cassel was the guy in an article.

It is what it is

Hammock Parties
10-30-2014, 08:05 PM
You proclaimed matt cassel was the guy in an article.

I most certainly did not.

ModSocks
10-30-2014, 08:06 PM
It's a humility piece, not an apologist piece. Of course, some people around here can't handle a little humility. Apparently Mellinger can.

O.city
If geno smith was the prospect any of those teams mentioned qbs were, I'd imagine they'd have taken him

RealSNR
The Seahawks lucked into their QB. The Colts, Giants and Steelers all took QB's that had a higher floor and less questions than Geno Smith.

Naturally, a lot of you failed to realize that the point of the article was not to dismiss the idea of taking a 1st round QB, but to reinforce the idea that blindly drafting one just because you want one isn't always the best idea.

It's nothing but undeserved dick suckery.

The Chiefs haven't won Ebolashit yet with their safe decision. Mellinger acts like the Royals and the Chiefs are the same team.

Hammock Parties
10-30-2014, 08:07 PM
Not drafting Geno was the right choice.

Paying Alex wasn't, though.

Deberg_1990
10-30-2014, 08:07 PM
If geno smith was the prospect any of those teams mentioned qbs were, I'd imagine they'd have taken him

Yes.

It's what a lot of fans can't comprehend.

O.city
10-30-2014, 08:08 PM
The Chiefs were coming of a season in which banners were flying over the stadium and a player murdered his go and himself in the parking lot.

All that added to the fact that they were historically one of the west football teams in history.

Can't imagine why they did what they did

ModSocks
10-30-2014, 08:09 PM
It's nothing but undeserved dick suckery.

The Chiefs haven't won Ebolashit yet with their safe decision. Mellinger acts like the Royals and the Chiefs are the same team.

Not taking Geno Smith should deserve some Dick Suckery, otherwise you'd have the worst starting QB in the NFL right now.

If you read the article carefully you'll notice that he does not dismiss the idea that the Chiefs should and even want to draft an early round QB.

Again, the point of the article is to say that drafting one just to draft one doesn't always work out.

And he's right.

GoChargers
10-30-2014, 08:09 PM

He's cherry-picking the worst-case scenario in order to defend the "trading for another team's game-managing backup" strategy, even though history overwhelmingly favors the drafted QB.

It's akin to saying that no team should ever draft a quarterback because Kurt Warner went undrafted while Ryan Leaf and JaMarcus Russell were drafted in the top two picks.

RealSNR
10-30-2014, 08:14 PM
It's a humility piece, not an apologist piece. Of course, some people around here can't handle a little humility. Apparently Mellinger can.

Remember how we got to that awesome 2-14 sandwich from 2007-2009?

We played it safe with Trent Green, gave him a contract extension, and called it a success.

We didn't give a fuck about that old bag of bones falling apart one day. Because at the time we didn't suck! WHEEEEE!

We're doing the exact same fucking shit with Alex.

O.city
10-30-2014, 08:15 PM

We played it safe with Trent Green, gave him a contract extension, and called it a success.

We didn't give a **** about that old bag of bones falling apart one day. Because at the time we didn't suck! WHEEEEE!

We're doing the exact same ****ing shit with Alex.

It's been a year and a half. Does that guy have to be in the roster right now?

ModSocks
10-30-2014, 08:16 PM
He's cherry-picking the worst-case scenario in order to defend the "trading for another team's game-managing backup" strategy, even though history overwhelmingly favors the drafted QB.

It's akin to saying that no team should ever draft a quarterback because Kurt Warner went undrafted while Ryan Leaf and JaMarcus Russell were drafted in the top two picks.

We didn't give a **** about that old bag of bones falling apart one day. Because at the time we didn't suck! WHEEEEE!

We're doing the exact same ****ing shit with Alex.

Except the part where Alex Smith is much younger and has legitimate prospects in Murray and Bray behind him?

Yeah not buying it. Reid has a history or drafting and developing QB's and he hasn't shown us otherwise thus far in KC, go so far as to retain 4 QB's when he could've simply cut one.

RealSNR
10-30-2014, 08:17 PM
Not taking Geno Smith should deserve some Dick Suckery, otherwise you'd have the worst starting QB in the NFL right now.

If you read the article carefully you'll notice that he does not dismiss the idea that the Chiefs should and even want to draft an early round QB.

Again, the point of the article is to say that drafting one just to draft one doesn't always work out.

And he's right.And avoiding a QB in the draft like the plague because your franchise is dickless and scared doesn't always work out, either.

You know that list of Cleveland Brown QBs that everybody likes to use as an argument for waiting for Andrew Luck to fall to you in the draft? 90% of those QBs are dudes that the Cleveland Browns tried to "play it safe" with

ModSocks
10-30-2014, 08:19 PM

He's not cherry picking at all. We're playing the Jets this week and Geno Smith and Alex Smith are clearly tied to each other considering those were the two routes weighed in on....the fan base was split on it.

The Jets are relevant to the conversation right now. If he were cherry picking you would've seen a whole host of 1st round busts in the article that would've served as better examples.

I understand you guys want a reason to bitch about Alex smith, but this article isn't the reason.

Look elsewhere.

Hammock Parties
10-30-2014, 08:19 PM
Except the part where Alex Smith is much younger and has legitimate prospects in Murray and Bray behind him?

LMAO LMAO LMAO

Those guys are straight up turds who will never win an NFL game.

Get real.

ModSocks
10-30-2014, 08:20 PM
And avoiding a QB in the draft like the plague because your franchise is dickless and scared doesn't always work out, either.

Neither I or the article said that the Chiefs should avoid it.

Again, you guys are misunderstanding the article just to get roused up over the Peterson way.

ModSocks
10-30-2014, 08:21 PM
LMAO LMAO LMAO

Those guys are straight up turds who will never win an NFL game.

Get real.

Maybe.

But they come with a high pedigree and are just as legitimate as any other back up QB prospect in the league right now.

The argument isn't whether these guys will work out, but whether or not Reid is willing to draft and develop QB's.

ModSocks
10-30-2014, 08:27 PM
Now, clearly, the Chiefs would love to draft and develop their own quarterback. That has proven to be the most successful way to find a top passer and win Super Bowls.

Did you guys even read the article? Mellinger alludes to his opinion on the matter here.

He's not disagreeing with you......

???

Easy 6
10-30-2014, 08:27 PM
Same old shit from the same old crowd.

Hammock Parties
10-30-2014, 08:29 PM

79,000 strong, cheering on the checkdown.

Sandy Vagina
10-30-2014, 08:29 PM

yep.. just another Alex thread for the vaginas to bleed all over.

( regardless of whether you meant well, OP )

Bearcat
10-30-2014, 08:30 PM

But, it's constructive this time! People will change their minds after this masterfully written article that might actually just be a modified article from 1997 or 2003 or 2006 or 2010.

Hammock Parties
10-30-2014, 08:30 PM
Mellinger wrote this bullshit just to troll us.

I miss Whitlock. At least his trolling had the truth behind it.

wazu
10-30-2014, 08:36 PM
Mellinger wrote this bullshit just to troll us.

I miss Whitlock. At least his trolling had the truth behind it.

This has truth in it. He comes out and says getting a top QB is how Superbowls are won. In this case, it wouldn't have worked. We were wrong about Geno. Be thankful for that.

Bearcat
10-30-2014, 08:40 PM
This has truth in it. He comes out and says getting a top QB is how Superbowls are won. In this case, it wouldn't have worked. We were wrong about Geno. Be thankful for that.

It's a risk and one that's not easily analyzed by simply assuming Geno would be in the exact same situation had he been drafted by the Chiefs.

But, let's play it safe for another few decades just in case the Chiefs are just really unlucky with their current strategy.

ModSocks
10-30-2014, 08:45 PM
It's a risk and one that's not easily analyzed by simply assuming Geno would be in the exact same situation had he been drafted by the Chiefs.

But, let's play it safe for another few decades just in case the Chiefs are just really unlucky with their current strategy.

It's a calculated risk and by their calculations they decided that Geno wasn't going to work for them, possibly for the same exact reasons he's not working out in NY.

That's all this means.

It DOESN'T mean that they're afraid to take a QB.

Not taking Geno Smith does not mean they're afraid to take a QB. However, it does mean that they're pretty good at identifying busts.

Hammock Parties
10-30-2014, 08:52 PM
Not taking Geno Smith does not mean they're afraid to take a QB.

Signing Alex does...maybe not afraid...but head over heels for Alex.

READ MY LIPS: NO FIRST ROUND QBS

RealSNR
10-30-2014, 08:52 PM
Did you guys even read the article? Mellinger alludes to his opinion on the matter here.

He's not disagreeing with you......

???

Yes he is. He's saying, "WELP I LEARNED A LESSON AND SO SHOULD ALL OF YOU," and that's to trade for the backup when you're unsure.

If your franchise is crap, and there's no QB available, try to trade draft picks for 8-8.

His evidence? The 4-3 Chiefs with Alex Smith.

Pretty shitty article.

ModSocks
10-30-2014, 08:56 PM
WTF happened to the random thought thread? Im high as fuck and having all kinds of great ideas.

RealSNR
10-30-2014, 08:56 PM

The article is a big steamy pile of Captain Hindsight's pet elephant's diarrhea

RunKC
10-30-2014, 08:57 PM
and if SNR, clay or Sac ran this franchise they'd be fired in shorter time than Pioli.

Discuss Thrower
10-30-2014, 09:00 PM
The Hunt family went 1 of 2 in Super Bowls and earns a playoff bid once every fourth or fifth year with veteran QBs acquired from another team.

Drafting a first Round QB risks that kind of run. That's why you'll never see the Chiefs draft a Geno Smith or an Andrew Luck.

That and they're afraid of investing a guaranteed 70 million in one guy.

Shag
10-30-2014, 09:01 PM
It DOESN'T mean that they're afraid to take a QB.

The past 30 years would indicate otherwise.

RealSNR
10-30-2014, 09:02 PM
and if SNR, clay or Sac ran this franchise they'd be fired in shorter time than Pioli.

Signing Carson Palmer, starting him, and drafting a QB in 2013 with Andy Reid as my QB guru/HC = fired?

I probably wouldn't have made the playoffs in 2013, I guess. Oh no. What would this team fucking do without that playoff berth?

Oh, that's right. We'd have a better LT, would have had the money to afford Emmanuel Sanders, and would be up two 2nd round picks over two drafts.

I TOTALLY would have run the team into the ground :rolleyes:

keg in kc
10-30-2014, 09:03 PM
This article would make more sense if the Jets had taken Geno in the first round rather than the second. That pick was not New York making some "bold move". They had not one but two chances to take him early, and went for Milliner and Sheldon Richardson instead. So it was pretty clear they weren't all that high on Smith. He happened to fall to the second and they took a flyer.

Maybe the lesson we should take from the Jets, even if it hasn't worked for them yet, is to keep trying. Although maybe the Chiefs already are, picking up Bray and then Murray.

Hammock Parties
10-30-2014, 09:10 PM

I BET YOU COULD HOLD DOWN THE JOB BRO

RealSNR
10-30-2014, 09:11 PM
Signing Carson Palmer, starting him, and drafting a QB in 2013 with Andy Reid as my QB guru/HC = fired?

I probably wouldn't have made the playoffs in 2013, I guess. Oh no. What would this team fucking do without that playoff berth?

Oh, that's right. We'd have a better LT, would have had the money to afford Emmanuel Sanders, and would be up two 2nd round picks over two drafts.

I TOTALLY would have run the team into the ground :rolleyes:

And let's say you buy into the narrative that Clark and Andy decided in the Philadelphia airport meeting that Alex Smith would be the starting QB going forward and that was that.

If that happened, I would have burned our 1.1 pick on Alex Smith and a gift card to Subway. You know... used the undesirable draft stock to work for our benefit and get the necessities done so we wouldn't be tied down with that shitty trade going into the NEXT draft as well.

And that's not hindsight, either. I said that in the weeks following the Smith trade before the draft. Go look it up.

I, at least, have some testicles, unlike 90% of this dumbass forum that sticks their fingers up their butts all day and say stupid shit like, "I probably would have aimed for Hitler if I were a WWI Allied commander"

Chief Roundup
10-30-2014, 09:22 PM
:popcorn:

Chiefs4TheWin
10-30-2014, 09:29 PM
So the Jets bet the farm, and get to 2 AFC championship games. We "play it safe" and lose to the frackin Ravens in Arrowhead.

Not sure what this piece is trying to prove. We have had no better luck with Smith than we have with Cassel. Suck it out a year, Make playoffs once our sched. goes to Cleveland and Jacksonville. Suck it out another year or 2. Make playoffs when our Sched goes back to Cleveland and Jacksonville. We get hope. They get crushed.. Rinse repeat till I'm 72. Win Superbowl 99

If we make the playoffs this year it's a bit of a better sign, we at least had some form of competition. If we make it we deserve it, but we gotta win a damn playoff game. If we make the playoffs this year at least Smith an the coaching staff is an improvement in my estimation.

I wanna win more than anything, but it's just the same crap over and over. I wanna break the cycle.

ModSocks
10-30-2014, 10:13 PM
The past 30 years would indicate otherwise.

Didn't realize Dorsey and Reid have been running the franchise for the last 30 years. Where the fuck have i been.

Psyko Tek
10-30-2014, 10:21 PM

so Mellinger is callin Gochiefs out

go get him count, this is a personal attack

The Bad Guy
10-30-2014, 10:57 PM

Mellinger wrote a dumb ****ing blowjob article. He should be ashamed.

Why? You're the one who was firmly in the Sanchez and Geno camp. You write dumb blowjob posts all the time. Are you ashamed?

Of course they should try to find a franchise QB in the draft. However, if they don't deem one worthy of a high pick, they should just spend it anyway?

Yes, we all want them to try, but it shouldn't be blind trying and hoping to strike gold. It should be they have confidence that the player can turn into that caliber, not forcing the issue.

Hammock Parties
10-30-2014, 11:04 PM
Why? You're the one who was firmly in the Sanchez and Geno camp. You write dumb blowjob posts all the time. Are you ashamed?

I was not in the Sanchez camp.

Very ashamed of my Geno love affair, however.

Embarrassing, but I'm not going to crawl into bed with game managers.

They gave me herpes.

Dave Lane
10-30-2014, 11:08 PM
Do they mention at any points the Jets went to two AFCC games while the Chiefs (safe) route won us 2 playoff games in 20 years?...

Sorry you are wrong.

2 playoff wins in 43 years...

Dave Lane
10-30-2014, 11:11 PM

Of course they should try to find a franchise QB in the draft. However, if they don't deem one worthy of a high pick, they should just spend it anyway?

Yes, we all want them to try, but it shouldn't be blind trying and hoping to strike gold. It should be they have confidence that the player can turn into that caliber, not forcing the issue.

I wasn't a Sanchez fan but I was a Geno fan. If its true Geno played Angry Birds during his interview with Andy then there's no way we could have pulled the trigger on him at 1.1. This year I think it was even a worse mistake to pass on Bridgewater but that's water under the bridge.

Coochie liquor
10-31-2014, 04:22 AM
God forbid a new regime addressed their qb position with a proven NFL qb, vs drafting a walking shit storm of a qb in their first draft. Because yeah, Reid doesn't have a history of drafting qbs even if he has one. I swear reading comprehension is horrible on here. We should have drafted a qb that most decent teams could see there were problems with instead of trading for one who knows how to win in the NFL. When the right qb comes along and is sitting in a position to draft I feel confidant they will draft him. But I don't want them to draft one just to make a bunch of dumbass fans happy they finally took one in the first round when he's gonna suck much like Geno has! Some people are actually good and get paid for scouting talent (Dorsey) while others are better suited for running the fryer at McDonalds (most of CP)

TEX
10-31-2014, 06:58 AM
Clayness and his Geno Smith predictions - ROFL

TEX
10-31-2014, 07:02 AM
I was not in the Sanchez camp.

Very ashamed of my Geno love affair, however.

Embarrassing, but I'm not going to crawl into bed with game managers.

They gave me herpes.

Yes u were and you even crawled into bed with Brodie ****ing Croyle ...FOOL! ROFL

Herpes are the least of your worries...

jd1020
10-31-2014, 07:02 AM
God forbid a new regime addressed their qb position with a proven NFL qb, vs drafting a walking shit storm of a qb in their first draft. Because yeah, Reid doesn't have a history of drafting qbs even if he has one. I swear reading comprehension is horrible on here. We should have drafted a qb that most decent teams could see there were problems with instead of trading for one who knows how to win in the NFL. When the right qb comes along and is sitting in a position to draft I feel confidant they will draft him. But I don't want them to draft one just to make a bunch of dumbass fans happy they finally took one in the first round when he's gonna suck much like Geno has! Some people are actually good and get paid for scouting talent (Dorsey) while others are better suited for running the fryer at McDonalds (most of CP)

Every time someone mentions Alex as a QB who knows how to win when he's got 1 playoff win in 10 years I throw up in my mouth.

Amnorix
10-31-2014, 07:31 AM
The Hunt family went 1 of 2 in Super Bowls and earns a playoff bid once every fourth or fifth year with veteran QBs acquired from another team.

Drafting a first Round QB risks that kind of run. That's why you'll never see the Chiefs draft a Geno Smith or an Andrew Luck.

Putting everything else aside, your inclusion of Andrew Luck in this email made it completely absurd. No NFL team that didn't already have a HOF QB in his prime would have passed on Luck. NOT ONE.

Bearcat
10-31-2014, 07:37 AM

(insert same old arguments from the past 4000 times it's been discussed)

Black and white argument!

(insert same old arguments from the past 4001 times it's been discussed, but worded slightly differently)

Hyperbole!

(insert same old argument from the past 4002 times it's been discussed, but very sarcastically)

Personal attack!

(insert that one gif of Matt Cassel trying to put on his cap, for no apparent reason)

Red Dawg
10-31-2014, 07:37 AM
Why is everyone obsessed with bringing up our lack of playoff wins? Would winning a playoff game every other year be any better? The Chiefs are finally on the right track to building a team with depth that can compete for a championship and possibly win one and that is all that matters. Playoff wins are worthless if you are not tbe champ. The champ is the only winner in pro sports.

jd1020
10-31-2014, 07:39 AM
Why is everyone obsessed with bringing up our lack of playoff wins? Would winning a playoff game every other year be any better? The Chiefs are finally on the right track to building a team with depth that can compete for a championship and possibly win one and that is all that matters. Playoff wins are worthless if you are not tbe champ. The champ is the only winner in pro sports.

So you ask the question of why people care about playoff wins and then you say we should only care about winning a SB.

Awesome.

Let us know how the Chiefs can be so good that they are just given the Lombardi.

Bearcat
10-31-2014, 07:44 AM

Uh, those two things are the same argument. They've used the same strategy with every coach and/or GM change for the past 180 years and have fewer playoff wins in their history in KC than the Royals had in October.

The argument for the safe route is having a chance to make the playoffs every year. The argument against it is that making the playoffs and even winning one playoff game every once in a while (or every couple years) shouldn't be the goal, so maybe change up that strategy now that it's been 3 decades since you last tried something different. But of course, it's different this time!!

Red Dawg
10-31-2014, 08:32 AM
So you ask the question of why people care about playoff wins and then you say we should only care about winning a SB.

Awesome.

Let us know how the Chiefs can be so good that they are just given the Lombardi.

I think you know what I mean. Winning a playoff game then getting bounced in the next one is not anything special. Only winning the championship is worth something. Ask any player if he would rather have a bunch off playoff wins or one chanpionship? Pretty obvious what they say.

I am also pretty sure that if the Royals had won game seven nobody would give two damns that had not made the post season since 85 anymore.

jd1020
10-31-2014, 08:34 AM
I am also pretty sure that if the Royals had won game seven nobody would give tow damns that had not made the post season since 85 anymore.

Go lie down and sober up and come back later.

EDIT: quick edit there my man. Very nice.

Lzen
10-31-2014, 08:35 AM
Sorry you are wrong.

2 playoff wins in 43 years...

Actually, you are wrong.

I count at least 3 playoff wins (vs Raiders in 1991 playoffs, vs Steelers and vs Oilers in 1993 playoffs). ;)

MahiMike
10-31-2014, 08:42 AM
He should be ashamed.

Mirror. Meet Count Zarth.

Pasta Little Brioni
10-31-2014, 08:43 AM
Chiefs Planet is awful at evaluating QB play. Just unbelievably bad....End of thread and every other one like it

Trivers
10-31-2014, 08:46 AM

/Thread

Lzen
10-31-2014, 08:47 AM
Uh, those two things are the same argument. They've used the same strategy with every coach and/or GM change for the past 180 years and have fewer playoff wins in their history in KC than the Royals had in October.

I am getting so sick of this argument comparing the Royals and the Chiefs. Baseball is a completely different animal. They are series', not single elimination games (WC game, notwithstanding). And let us not forget that the Royals had not even been to the playoffs for 3 decades. Also, let us not forget that they barely got in as a WC and nearly lost that game, as well. I suppose you could compare winning a series in baseball as similar to winning a playoff game in the NFL. Even then, I don't believe it is a completely accurate comparison. But I do think that if the Chiefs had series' to win against teams they lost to over the years that they would have won a few of those. Finally, as the Royals proved this year is that the first step to winning a championship is getting into the tournament.

Coogs
10-31-2014, 08:57 AM
Looks to me like Sam has been reading the Planet, and instead of posting his take here, did it in the Star.

FRCDFED
10-31-2014, 09:00 AM

READ MY LIPS: NO FIRST ROUND QBSAt this point, unless you have a QB crystal ball, you have no idea how far Alex is going to take this team. He is the perfect QB for this system. Look at what he is doing with trash WR and OL. It is a team sport! Imagine what he could do with better teammates. Your argument should not be with Alex. He is clearly light years ahead of Geno and the article merely states only that.

Your argument should be whether or not the brass can get him some protection and WR's before his window closes and his skills start to deteriorate.

Reerun_KC
10-31-2014, 09:02 AM
Clayness and his Geno Smith predictions - ROFL

And add in his lapdog/ROR/505 or whoever that guys is and it has become priceless...

We will see Clayanus predictions come true on Sunday when Geno rips this D...

Jimmya
10-31-2014, 09:07 AM
Coaching is important...just ask any QB if they would like to go to the New York Jets AKA Where QB's go to die

Lzen
10-31-2014, 09:14 AM
Coaching is important...just ask any QB if they would like to go to the New York Jets AKA Where QB's go to die

Very true. Coaching makes a big difference. But even the best coaches can fail with a QB who just doesn't have it.

Bearcat
10-31-2014, 09:24 AM
I am getting so sick of this argument comparing the Royals and the Chiefs. Baseball is a completely different animal. They are series', not single elimination games (WC game, notwithstanding). And let us not forget that the Royals had not even been to the playoffs for 3 decades. Also, let us not forget that they barely got in as a WC and nearly lost that game, as well. I suppose you could compare winning a series in baseball as similar to winning a playoff game in the NFL. Even then, I don't believe it is a completely accurate comparison. But I do think that if the Chiefs had series' to win against teams they lost to over the years that they would have won a few of those. Finally, as the Royals proved this year is that the first step to winning a championship is getting into the tournament.

Yeah, I know, 29 years is quite pathetic, but so are the Chiefs.

As far as just getting in, it's completely different between baseball and football, or at least it should be.

What I find amusing is that baseball teams should definitely aim for just getting into the playoffs based on the fact there's not a huge difference between the best and worst playoff teams (the best teams only win ~60% of the time and is heavily dependent on pitching, so you get one game that's 7-1 Giants and another game that's 10-0 Royals), as opposed to the large difference in football (~50-62% for WC teams and 80-93% for the best teams).... yet (and here's the amusing part), the Chiefs have played the baseball strategy of "let's just get in" for decades AND the fans not only go for it AND not only eat it up, they practically demand it.

I'm not saying anything definitive about this group after two years, except that SO FAR it's looks exactly like the same old shit, and until that actually changes, fans can eat up mediocre beating mediocre and the occasional upset all they want and bring up that one Ravens team or that one Giants team, but playing the baseball strategy is clearly not the way to go... of course, just my opinion after watching that strategy fail for 30 years, minus that one time they acquired Joe freakin' Montana. I'll give it another two or three decades though just to be sure. :(

Hootie
10-31-2014, 09:52 AM
I sure wish we had Derek Carr or uhm, one of those other magical franchise qbs that grow on trees

Easy 6
10-31-2014, 10:12 AM
Seems like even Smith haters agree that Reid is great with QB's, both coaching them and finding them... yet refuse to give him the benefit of the doubt about his choice of Smith.

"Yeah his history with QB's is good, but Bray? LMAO"

"Yeah his history with QB's is good, but Murray? LMAO"

Yeah his history with QB's is good, but Smith? LMAO"

So yeah, he's good at coaching and finding QB's... its just that all three of these guys suck balls, is that about right?

RealSNR
10-31-2014, 10:14 AM
Nothing wrong with acquiring a veteran to ease the rookie into the league.

The problem I have is when teams like the Chiefs trade for those veteran backups and act like just because they used the draft to acquire their guy, that means they basically drafted their own QB.

They didn't. All they did was pay an unnecessarily high price for a stop gap-level talent QB who could have been had in free agency.

And yet people like me last year who advocated making the "stabilization period" for the QB position on this team as brief as possible with a free agent like Carson Palmer were ridiculed because Palmer wasn't good enough. You're right, he's not. He would have given us Alex Smith, basically.

Only, you know... we'd be up two 2nd round picks by now, we'd be free to pick any young QB we wanted to wait in the wings, and could ditch the free agent QB at any time without being wasteful

Bearcat
10-31-2014, 10:16 AM
I sure wish we had Derek Carr or uhm, one of those other magical franchise qbs that grow on trees

It's not about going down to the dollar store and picking up a franchise QB, it's about trying a clearly superior strategy while finding a middle ground between not trying at all and picking a QB for the sake of picking one... or at least trying a different strategy besides the one that's obviously failed for most of the past 4 decades (outside of Joe Montana and that one time they actually drafted a QB in the first round).

RealSNR
10-31-2014, 10:20 AM
It's not about going down to the dollar store and picking up a franchise QB, it's about trying a clearly superior strategy while finding a middle ground between not trying at all and picking a QB for the sake of picking one... or at least trying a different strategy besides the one that's obviously failed for most of the past 4 decades (outside of Joe Montana and that one time they actually drafted a QB in the first round).

It also comes down to NOTHING is ever good enough for the Chiefs when it comes to QBs in the draft.

"Chiefs should definitely pull the trigger on a QB!

...but only if the thing they're shooting at puts the gun in its mouth for you and gives you a thumbs up when it's time to pull. Otherwise you might miss, and then we might go 2-14! Scary!"

jkw87
10-31-2014, 10:21 AM

READ MY LIPS: NO FIRST ROUND QBS
What is your obsession with first round quarterbacks? Name the one Dorsey could have grabbed the past two drafts that wouldn't have been a waste. Your obsession with the first round or bust is idiotic and overplayed. Switch things up a bit. Try harder

Imon Yourside
10-31-2014, 10:22 AM
I think where GENO is and who coaches him makes a world of difference. That being said we would not have made the playoffs with GENO last year, for better or worse it would have taken time to develop him. New York is a dumpster fire though, everyone has to see that.

jkw87
10-31-2014, 10:23 AM

You're an idiot if you think they would have passed on Luck if we'd had the opportunity. Throwing Geno into the same category with Luck shows your stupidity.

Rasputin
10-31-2014, 10:24 AM
Chiefs are penetrating mediocrity champions.

Imon Yourside
10-31-2014, 10:24 AM
We definitely should have sucked for Luck, man everyone was on board here except for the idiots running the organization.

jkw87
10-31-2014, 10:26 AM
Chiefs Planet is awful at evaluating QB play. Just unbelievably bad....End of thread and every other one like it
Yeah, but when they get on that bandwagon with shitty quarterbacks and scream first round... Shit like that will never stop.

Marcellus
10-31-2014, 10:27 AM
There's not really anything controversial in the article. The guy's right. In the 'battle' of Geno v. Alex, Alex is the clear winner.

Reading comprehension skills are lacking here though.

The article didn't say you should never draft a QB, just that in that scenario it worked out better not drafting Geno.

The same idiots here are going to attempt to claim that Clark "won't allow" his very high paid hand picked coach and GM to draft a QB if they wanted to.

It's pretty hilarious.

I am willing to bet good money our next every day starting QB will com from the draft.

jkw87
10-31-2014, 10:29 AM
Nothing wrong with acquiring a veteran to ease the rookie into the league.

The problem I have is when teams like the Chiefs trade for those veteran backups and act like just because they used the draft to acquire their guy, that means they basically drafted their own QB.

They didn't. All they did was pay an unnecessarily high price for a stop gap-level talent QB who could have been had in free agency.

And yet people like me last year who advocated making the "stabilization period" for the QB position on this team as brief as possible with a free agent like Carson Palmer were ridiculed because Palmer wasn't good enough. You're right, he's not. He would have given us Alex Smith, basically.

Only, you know... we'd be up two 2nd round picks by now, we'd be free to pick any young QB we wanted to wait in the wings, and could ditch the free agent QB at any time without being wasteful
I actually agree with you on this. We overpaid for Smith in both draft picks and money... It was a mistake and I hope it wasn't the only thing Dorsey will be remembered for here.

Bearcat
10-31-2014, 10:33 AM

The article didn't say you should never draft a QB, just that in that scenario it worked out better not drafting Geno.

The same idiots here are going to attempt to claim that Clark "won't allow" his very high paid hand picked coach and GM to draft a QB if they wanted to.

It's pretty hilarious.

I am willing to bet good money our next every day starting QB will com from the draft.

The article comes oh so close to saying the 'boring' strategy is better whenever you don't have a chance to draft a QB like Andrew Luck.... because, like he said, Geno Smith in the 2nd round was such a stretch.

The Bad Guy
10-31-2014, 10:35 AM
Overpaid in draft picks?

Just Passin' By
10-31-2014, 10:36 AM
The article comes oh so close to saying the 'boring' strategy is better whenever you don't have a chance to draft a QB like Andrew Luck.... because, like he said, Geno Smith in the 2nd round was such a stretch.

The article is specific to the Geno/Alex debate.

Easy 6
10-31-2014, 10:38 AM
Overpaid in draft picks?

I know right, like a couple of seconds is some kind of franchise killer raping for a steady handed veteran.

Discuss Thrower
10-31-2014, 10:41 AM
You're an idiot if you think they would have passed on Luck if we'd had the opportunity. Throwing Geno into the same category with Luck shows your stupidity.

No first round QBs since Blackledge in 1983.
No second round QBs since Matt Bludnin 1992.
Brodie Croyle in the 3rd round in 2006.
Pat Barnes in the 4th in 1997.
Aaron Murray and Ricky Stanzi in the 5th in 2014 and 2011 respectively.

There's all the evidence in the world that if the gun was put to any given Chiefs' GM's head, he doesn't select a QB.

Because that gun is being held by a member of the Hunt family, and they believe a high round QB is too risky.

Hootie
10-31-2014, 10:51 AM

Outside of Andrew Luck and Russell Wilson, what QBs have been drafted lately that you would have wanted more than Alex Smith?

If Joe Flacco can win a Super Bowl, pretty sure Alex Smith can, too.

Rausch
10-31-2014, 10:53 AM
The article is specific to the Geno/Alex debate.

So it's an argument over 0/1 VS. 0/0...

RealSNR
10-31-2014, 11:04 AM
I know right, like a couple of seconds is some kind of franchise killer raping for a steady handed veteran.

I'll never understand this line of argument that "It was only a couple of 2nd round picks."

They're only ever just a couple of 2nd round picks... unless you actually draft good players with them. Then, yeah, they ARE a couple of 2nd round picks that we no longer have. And that fucking sucks.

Saccopoo
10-31-2014, 11:09 AM

It's pretty hilarious.

This front office has already made investments at the QB position.

They've selected/drafted or signed a rookie QB in each of the last two off-seasons. They signed the best known commodity at the position that was available to them when they absolutely needed to (Alex Smith).

They are not sitting on their hands at the position.

I'm pretty sure that they will draft a QB in the higher rounds when one is available that fits their parameters for the position.

Reid has done it in the past and Dorsey did it in Green Bay.

I concur that our next QB will be one that was drafted and developed by the KC Chiefs.

It's not going to be next year or the year after, but it will happen.

Discuss Thrower
10-31-2014, 11:11 AM
I'll never understand this line of argument that "It was only a couple of 2nd round picks."

They're only ever just a couple of 2nd round picks... unless you actually draft good players with them. Then, yeah, they ARE a couple of 2nd round picks that we no longer have. And that fucking sucks.

It was only a chance to select Justin Hunter, Zach Ertz, Giovanni Bernard, Kiko Alonso or Le'Veon Bell in 2013 and Cody Latimer, Jimmy Garoppolo or Allen Robinson in 2014.

Not like any of those guys would help or anything.

RealSNR
10-31-2014, 11:11 AM
I'm pretty sure that they will draft a QB in the higher rounds when one is available that fits their parameters for the position.

Until "one just wasn't available"

Saccopoo
10-31-2014, 11:13 AM

No it doesn't.

You got a franchise level QB with a couple of second rounders.

There isn't a team in the league that wouldn't give those picks up for that. Not one.

What did the Redskins give up just for the hope of getting one in Bobby Griffin?

What did the Raiders give up hoping they'd still have one in Palmer?

The Chiefs gave up peanuts for Smith considering what he's provided in return.

RealSNR
10-31-2014, 11:15 AM
No it doesn't.

You got a franchise level QB with a couple of second rounders.

We got a franchise level QB with a 1st rounder in Trent Green.

That was pretty fun. For 5 years.

Then he was gone.

ChiefsCountry
10-31-2014, 11:33 AM
I bet Sanchez and Pennington have more playoff starts than Chiefs drafted quarterbacks have regular season starts.

J Diddy
10-31-2014, 11:38 AM
We got a franchise level QB with a 1st rounder in Trent Green.

That was pretty fun. For 5 years.

Then he was gone.

He got Hermed.

Just Passin' By
10-31-2014, 11:40 AM
So it's an argument over 0/1 VS. 0/0...

No

Just Passin' By
10-31-2014, 11:41 AM

They're only ever just a couple of 2nd round picks... unless you actually draft good players with them. Then, yeah, they ARE a couple of 2nd round picks that we no longer have. And that ****ing sucks.

You could use that argument for any draft pick, from 1.1 to Mr. Irrelevant. It's so broad that it's meaningless.

Easy 6
10-31-2014, 11:43 AM

They're only ever just a couple of 2nd round picks... unless you actually draft good players with them. Then, yeah, they ARE a couple of 2nd round picks that we no longer have. And that ****ing sucks.

We needed a QB and there wasnt one worth trading those two picks for in the draft.

You're acting like they were wasted picks, they werent. Our QB-centric coach was able to hand pick his guy for those two slots.

saphojunkie
10-31-2014, 11:50 AM
Not drafting Geno was the right choice.

Paying Alex wasn't, though.

I still maintain that Geno Smith's fate was sealed BECAUSE he was drafted by the Jets.

That's what Mellinger fails to understand. Did it ever occur to them that Rex Ryan is a shitty head coach? That NY doesn't develop QB well? That between the media and the meadowlands and the poor front office decisions, that the Jets are historically bad at giving a young QB the right environment for maturing into a quality leader?

If Geno Smith had been drafted by a patient franchise that could handle him correctly, given offensive coaches that knew what the hell they were doing, and was allowed to sit and learn for a couple of seasons, he might have had a different story.

But that's not what happened. He's a bust. He's a bum. He sucks.

That's the story of Geno Smith. But I still believe it didn't have to be.

saphojunkie
10-31-2014, 11:51 AM
He got Hermed.

He got Schiavoed.

Lzen
10-31-2014, 12:01 PM
I bet Sanchez and Pennington have more playoff starts than Chiefs drafted quarterbacks have regular season starts.

:rolleyes:

Look, many of us that are glad that we didn't draft Geno also agree that the Chiefs should try to draft an early round QB at some point. And I understand the need to make a point about the Chiefs being afraid to do that. But this goes beyond stupidity.

A quick search reveals that Brodie Croyle has more career starts (18) than Pennington and Sanchez have playoff starts (12).

ChiefsCountry
10-31-2014, 12:04 PM
:rolleyes:

Look, many of us that are glad that we didn't draft Geno also agree that the Chiefs should try to draft an early round QB at some point. And I understand the need to make a point about the Chiefs being afraid to do that. But this goes beyond stupidity.

A quick search reveals that Brodie Croyle has more career starts (18) than Pennington and Sanchez have playoff starts (12).

Actually Brodie has only started 10 games.

Reerun_KC
10-31-2014, 12:20 PM
I still maintain that Geno Smith's fate was sealed BECAUSE he was drafted by the Jets.

That's what Mellinger fails to understand. Did it ever occur to them that Rex Ryan is a shitty head coach? That NY doesn't develop QB well? That between the media and the meadowlands and the poor front office decisions, that the Jets are historically bad at giving a young QB the right environment for maturing into a quality leader?

If Geno Smith had been drafted by a patient franchise that could handle him correctly, given offensive coaches that knew what the hell they were doing, and was allowed to sit and learn for a couple of seasons, he might have had a different story.

All I hear is Genocuses in this post....

Carlota69
10-31-2014, 12:24 PM
(insert same old arguments from the past 4000 times it's been discussed)

Black and white argument!

(insert same old arguments from the past 4001 times it's been discussed, but worded slightly differently)

Hyperbole!

(insert same old argument from the past 4002 times it's been discussed, but very sarcastically)

Personal attack!

(insert that one gif of Matt Cassel trying to put on his cap, for no apparent reason)

LMAOLMAO:LOL::LOL:LMAOLMAO

RunKC
10-31-2014, 12:28 PM
Alex was easily worth those picks, especially considering that the QB's drafted the last 2 years don't look special at all.

You get the best player to win. Alex was clearly that. And even without a 2nd the 2013 class looks really solid at the top

Easy 6
10-31-2014, 12:29 PM
Genocuses

LMAO whats good for the goose...

GoChargers
10-31-2014, 12:33 PM

That goes for both sides, by the way. The drafturbators do themselves no favors by dickriding obvious busts from day 1 like Geno Smith; meanwhile, the true fans literally defend scrubs like Cassel until they can no longer be defended by any rational human being.

Reerun_KC
10-31-2014, 12:37 PM
That goes for both sides, by the way. The drafturbators do themselves no favors by dickriding obvious busts from day 1 like Geno Smith; meanwhile, the true fans literally defend scrubs like Cassel until they can no longer be defended by any rational human being.

That is what he just said...

CP is dogshit when it comes to QB evaluation....

ChiefsCountry
10-31-2014, 12:39 PM
Alex was easily worth those picks, especially considering that the QB's drafted the last 2 years don't look special at all.

You get the best player to win. Alex was clearly that. And even without a 2nd the 2013 class looks really solid at the top

Hey look its Mr. Tyler Wilson trying to act like he didn't want to draft somebody.

O.city
10-31-2014, 12:45 PM
Hey look its Mr. Tyler Wilson trying to act like he didn't want to draft somebody.

Weren't you matt Barkley biggest fan?

ChiefsCountry
10-31-2014, 12:50 PM
Weren't you matt Barkley biggest fan?

Yes, still wish they would have drafted him. But that douche was deep throating Tyler Wilson hard and acts like he didn't want to draft a qb. So fuck him.

ThaVirus
10-31-2014, 12:53 PM
Every time someone mentions Alex as a QB who knows how to win when he's got 1 playoff win in 10 years I throw up in my mouth.

"Well he had shitty coaches and talent around him for his first 5 seasons!"

"He was one muffed punt away from the Super Bowl!"

"He played well enough to win last year in Indy!"

Apparently all those shoulda, coulda, wouldas count as playoff wins.

RunKC
10-31-2014, 12:53 PM

I wanted to draft Tyler Wilson for later and trade Alex smith for the present. But okay.

Bearcat
10-31-2014, 01:07 PM

Alex Smith has been the victim of circumstance his entire career.
Geno Smith obviously sucks and has no one to blame but himself.

Facts.

Marcellus
10-31-2014, 01:09 PM

And bingo.

No first round QBs since Blackledge in 1983.
No second round QBs since Matt Bludnin 1992.
Brodie Croyle in the 3rd round in 2006.
Pat Barnes in the 4th in 1997.
Aaron Murray and Ricky Stanzi in the 5th in 2014 and 2011 respectively.

There's all the evidence in the world that if the gun was put to any given Chiefs' GM's head, he doesn't select a QB.

Because that gun is being held by a member of the Hunt family, and they believe a high round QB is too risky.

Marcellus
10-31-2014, 01:11 PM
It was only a chance to select Justin Hunter, Zach Ertz, Giovanni Bernard, Kiko Alonso or Le'Veon Bell in 2013 and Cody Latimer, Jimmy Garoppolo or Allen Robinson in 2014.

Not like any of those guys would help or anything.

Who is playing QB if we don't give 2 2nds for Smith and draft the guys you mentioned?

Or are you one of those insiders that know we could have Smith for 1 pick?

I am sure Dorsey threw in the 2nd pick for fun.

Marcellus
10-31-2014, 01:12 PM

Or you could just call them the facts.

Playoff wins or not, they are facts.

ThaVirus
10-31-2014, 01:17 PM
Or you could just call them the facts.

Playoff wins or not, they are facts.

I like to think of myself as a rational guy when it comes to Alex. I probably come off as a detractor but it's really only because he's my QB and I hold him to a high standard.

We've already dispelled the notion that he was just a muffed punt away from a Super Bowl, and he played well in Indy but didn't turn in a complete game. People like to rag on Bowe for not getting his foot down but if you want to go that far the pass was NOT perfect. It was thrown a hit behind, causing Bowe to have to slow up and allowing the defender a chance to make a play on the ball. Not to mention the fact that we had three downs prior to that play to get the 1st and he couldn't get the job done.

Marcellus
10-31-2014, 01:27 PM
I like to think of myself as a rational guy when it comes to Alex. I probably come off as a detractor but it's really only because he's my QB and I hold him to a high standard.

We've already dispelled the notion that he was just a muffed punt away from a Super Bowl, and he played well in Indy but didn't turn in a complete game. People like to rag on Bowe for not getting his foot down but if you want to go that far the pass was NOT perfect. It was thrown a hit behind, causing Bowe to have to slow up and allowing the defender a chance to make a play on the ball. Not to mention the fact that we had three downs prior to that play to get the 1st and he couldn't get the job done.

Good grief dude you are as impartial and opinionated on this subject as 49ers fans are.

And to say any of that stuff has been dispelled is laughable. Its all opinion driven. For every statement made there is a counter opinion. Its not dispelled in any way shape or form. Maybe in your mind but you didn't need any help there anyway.

Its OK to simply admit you are wrong when the evidence keep slapping you in the face. But some people just can't do it.

saphojunkie
10-31-2014, 01:38 PM
I want us to draft a first round QB so badly it hurts, but it's ridiculous that the Chiefs could literally draft a Jamarcus Russel type bust, and that would placate posters like Discus Thrower.

It shouldn't be about drafting a QB in the first. It should be about getting a franchise QB. It just so happens that a first round pick is statistically the best way to get one. But I don't give a shit if they trade for him or sign him off the street.

Or trade two second round picks to the San Francisco 49'ers.

Just get a guy who will win a super bowl. Everything else is just noise.

temper11
10-31-2014, 01:44 PM

This.

Just Passin' By
10-31-2014, 01:44 PM
I want us to draft a first round QB so badly it hurts, but it's ridiculous that the Chiefs could literally draft a Jamarcus Russel type bust, and that would placate posters like Discus Thrower.

It shouldn't be about drafting a QB in the first. It should be about getting a franchise QB. It just so happens that a first round pick is statistically the best way to get one. But I don't give a shit if they trade for him or sign him off the street.

Or trade two second round picks to the San Francisco 49'ers.

Just get a guy who will win a super bowl. Everything else is just noise.

:spock:

BryanBusby
10-31-2014, 01:51 PM
I don't believe Mellinger was saying that the safe route is the best choice always and forever.

Basically he was saying sometimes it's best to past on the dream girl if you hear that her vagina is blown out like a spare tire that has been used for 12 months and thousands of miles and is covered in da herps for the safe route. That tire is Geno Smith.

People should back off the ledge if they think he is definitely verbally blowing Alex Smith.

Marcellus
10-31-2014, 01:55 PM
This.

Is a bunch of crap.

Geno has the exact same issues he did the second half of his senior season. He knows what the issues are but cant correct them because that's who he is.

RealSNR
10-31-2014, 02:44 PM
I wanted to draft Tyler Wilson for later and trade Alex smith for the present. But okay.

When the idea of trading for Alex Smith was proposed in the regular season, NOBODY but n00bs and 12-year olds liked it.

People eventually warmed up to the idea, some faster than others, but the universal reaction across the board was FUCK NO

BigCatDaddy
10-31-2014, 02:47 PM

In our defense it's not like we've seen many good ones up close and personal. Joe Montana and Trent Green in my lifetime. About what 6-7 seasons worth.

Reerun_KC
10-31-2014, 02:48 PM
In our defense it's not like we've seen many good ones up close and personal.

even if you did you would still fuck it up....

Sandy Vagina
10-31-2014, 03:01 PM
Is a bunch of crap.

Geno has the exact same issues he did the second half of his senior season. He knows what the issues are but cant correct them because that's who he is.

I would agree with this. I keep hearing Rex Ryan, Jets.. never had a chance.. blah blah...

The reality of it is.. Geno had plenty of talent around him. He just couldn't keep from making the huge, game-changing mistakes. Stupid decision-making put him on the bench... not the Jets.

I say this while acknowledging that he's very young. Not at all hating on him or condemning Geno's career. He still could learn from his stupidity and become a quality starter.... maybe... but I wouldn't bet money on this happening. Just as I thought of him as a prospect.. I am skeptical that he has the mental makeup to strengthen through this process. If I turn out to be wrong later, hey, good for him.

saphojunkie
10-31-2014, 03:06 PM
:spock:

That's the whole fucking point. I am capable of acknowledging that what I want might not be what is best.

RunKC
10-31-2014, 03:10 PM
When the idea of trading for Alex Smith was proposed in the regular season, NOBODY but n00bs and 12-year olds liked it.

People eventually warmed up to the idea, some faster than others, but the universal reaction across the board was FUCK NO

After the first rd was over everyone reasonable was like "well this is one shitty draft class for QB's, no less players in general."

Sandy Vagina
10-31-2014, 03:12 PM
If it hasn't been posted in some other thread.... (from AP)

Berry will return to the field on Sunday against the New York Jets, Andy Reid confirmed on Friday.

Reid did say that Berry would play but he did not say whether Berry would start the game.

:clap:

Easy 6
10-31-2014, 03:33 PM
God bless Norm, one of the most underrated funny guys of all time, I'll never forgive Lorne Michaels for letting NBC pressure him into dumping Norm over the OJ jokes.

Matter of fact, I'm gonna let my old pal Lorne know just how I feel about it... he put me and kept me on his front page of friends on Myspace, so yeah, we're pretty tight.

edit* dammit SNR, now MY post looks outta place!

temper11
10-31-2014, 04:41 PM
Is a bunch of crap.

I disagree... the kid obviously has talent. You don't get to where he is without talent. He just isn't the rare, 1 in a million, person that can step onto any football field day one, regardless of scheme and personnel, and magically turn a franchise around.

Like most of these QB's out of college, they would benefit tremendously if they were afforded the opportunity to develop behind a veteran for at least a year (I'd actually like to see Rookie QB's "red-shirt" in the NFL for a year) and then give him a coach/coordinator that understands his strengths as well as his "issues" and 1) coaches him up and 2) puts him in the best position to succeed. With QB's I personally think it is rarely the QB that busts but rather the environment that he is thrown into. I think it is incumbent upon the organization to know all of that before they select in the draft to make sure the QB and the system/coach are a good fit. Otherwise you are just wrecking a potential career.

Just Passin' By
10-31-2014, 04:54 PM
Is a bunch of crap.

He's a one read QB who's not particularly accurate, and who folds under pressure. Those QBs don't generally improve, at least not early on. People who think the kid would have made it somewhere other than NY (though I'm sure NY isn't helping) are people who insist that he'd have been that special snowflake.

Marcellus
10-31-2014, 05:08 PM
I disagree... the kid obviously has talent. .

I will keep this simple for you.

Yes he has talent, physically.

But he doesn't have the head for it and that will not change.

He is Tony Banks V2. Not because he is black but because he is black, isn't really mobile, has a big arm, and makes terrible decisions.

temper11
10-31-2014, 05:14 PM
I will keep this simple for you.

Yes he has talent, physically.

But he doesn't have the head for it and that will not change.

He is Tony Banks V2. Not because he is black but because he is black, isn't really mobile, has a big arm, and makes terrible decisions.

Maybe... I don't know. I just know that the Jets were shit and the coaching staff not great. I think it would have been tough for most QB's to just come in there and immediately have success without any of the structure I talked about before.

For as much as everyone talks about how important the position is... not many organizations do much to protect their investment. They just draft a kid and throw him to the wolves. If you think someone is good enough to select high, why not try to do what you can to make that pick work?

Sandy Vagina
10-31-2014, 05:18 PM
I just know that the Jets were shit and the coaching staff not great.

For as much as everyone talks about how important the position is... not many organizations do much to protect their investment. They just draft a kid and throw him to the wolves. If you think someone is good enough to select high, why not try to do what you can to make that pick work?

Can you explain to me where the NYJ are lacking so horribly in support cast for Geno?

Saccopoo
10-31-2014, 05:21 PM
Maybe... I don't know. I just know that the Jets were shit and the coaching staff not great. I think it would have been tough for most QB's to just come in there and immediately have success without any of the structure I talked about before.

Also consider that Marty Morinwheg is his offensive coodinator.

Geno Smith hasn't really had a lot of support (talent wise around him) or coaching at this point in the NFL.

Quesadilla Joe
10-31-2014, 05:27 PM
would have had the money to afford Emmanuel Sanders,

The Chiefs didn't miss out on Sanders because of money. They missed out on Sanders because they didn't have Peyton Manning.

Quesadilla Joe
10-31-2014, 05:28 PM
SNR truly believes he could run an NFL franchise. ROFL

MotherfuckerJones
10-31-2014, 05:51 PM
We weren't truly in on Sanders. He fucked us. It's ok. He will get his and break his fucking leg

RealSNR
10-31-2014, 05:52 PM
SNR truly believes he could run an NFL franchise. ROFL

Great, now you're a fucking liar in addition to being a dumbass and a bet-welcher.

Let me know when you add axe-murderer to the list. Then I'll go buy a gun.

Easy 6
10-31-2014, 06:06 PM
Also consider that Marty Morinwheg is his offensive coodinator.

Geno Smith hasn't really had a lot of support (talent wise around him) or coaching at this point in the NFL.

I'm just fine with the fact that Andy didnt bring Marty along with him here, but lets not act like its all his fault that Geno sucks... after all, you're talking about the same OC that made Mike Vick look like a legit superstar QB for atleast two seasons.

He even had me sold on Vick in 2010, what with the 21 to 6 td/pick ratio and 100+ QBR... so dont pass it all of on Marty, let Geno suck on his own.

Easy 6
10-31-2014, 06:09 PM
The Chiefs didn't miss out on Sanders because of money. They missed out on Sanders because they didn't have Peyton Manning.

This is the ONLY correct thing you've said since you've been here... there was nothing Dorsey could've done to prevent that.

He got snookered by a shady agent and player that wanted to use us as leverage against the team he wanted all along... oh, and **** your shady ass team ;)

Easy 6
10-31-2014, 06:40 PM

Seriously, **** you... I lurk around the mange once in a while and quite frankly, you're lucky to even be here.

I see some of our guys over there occassionally, and they do nothing but eat a steady stream of insults and garbage... if it were mixed in with some "yeah we cant stand KC but you're killer here and here, or we cant look past you" etc, it'd be different.

But from what I've seen it never is, unless a Planeteer kisses ass and endures all slams without complaint its a bloodbath, so... **** your board, **** you and **** your team.

Get it?
Got it?
Good.

lcarus
10-31-2014, 06:43 PM
Seriously, **** you... I lurk around the mange once in a while and quite frankly, you're lucky to even be here.

I see some of our guys over there occassionally, and they do nothing but eat a steady stream of insults and garbage... if it were mixed in with some "yeah we cant stand KC but you're killer here and here, or we cant look past you" etc, it'd be different.

But from what I've seen it never is, unless a Planeteer kisses ass and endures all slams without complaint its a bloodbath, so... **** your board, **** you and **** your team.

Get it?
Got it?
Good.

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m3rtyerfHZ1qir45xo1_500.gif

Sweet Daddy Hate
10-31-2014, 08:36 PM
Remember when Mellinger used to have balls?

Deberg_1990
11-02-2014, 02:59 PM
Geno fan tears..... They're delicious!

Just Passin' By
11-02-2014, 03:20 PM
Geno fan tears..... They're delicious!

Geno didn't throw an interception this game!

Marcellus
11-02-2014, 03:32 PM
Geno didn't throw an interception this game!

3rd stringer, says it all.