PDA

View Full Version : Life -- What kind of shit did your Grandma do well & share a little about this women?

Simply Red
10-31-2014, 08:54 PM
What all did she cook?

How was her hair?

Did her house have a certain odor?

Did you ever play marbles with her?

Was her husband a nice guy?

Where did she used to take you to eat out?

What sort of automobile did she sport?

Were you or Are you close to her?

Thanks guys.

TribalElder
10-31-2014, 08:56 PM
Super organized

Always wrote notes about things

Her memory was amazing

Simply Red
10-31-2014, 08:58 PM
Super organized

Always wrote notes about things

Her memory was amazing

Is she hot? Asking for a friend.

RobBlake
10-31-2014, 08:59 PM
one's dead on my moms side and another doesn't care about me on my pops side

Katipan
10-31-2014, 09:00 PM
I stayed with her after my house burned down. I remember one day she said we were going to the store and instead she drove me to Disneyland. She used to do all the tune ups to her car. A light blue Maverick. She can lure every kind of animal to her hand and she decided she was a lesbian around 60. So apparently she can lure every kind of everything to her hand. Lives a completely healthy, free life. Doted on by all her children. I still make her garlic toast. And keep old cooking oil in a can. Every day around 4:30 she has a well watered Black Velvet. And still enjoys her hot tub nude.

She rocks.

ModSocks
10-31-2014, 09:02 PM
Tough. Crazy tough. She was one of 12 children born and raised on a farm in the south.

Simply Red
10-31-2014, 09:04 PM
one's dead on my moms side and another doesn't care about me on my pops side

I care about you.

TimBone
10-31-2014, 09:05 PM
My grandma was amazing. She drove only Lincoln Towncars for years and years. Every holiday she made me a pecan pie and my sister a cheesecake. She was ruthless in a game of aggravation (the marble game).

ZootedGranny
Both of my grandmas are cool.

One took me to buy the Murder Was the Case soundtrack cassette from the Blue Ridge Mall, and then demanded that I play it in her car. She was feeling it.

Simply Red
I stayed with her after my house burned down. I remember one day she said we were going to the store and instead she drove me to Disneyland. She used to do all the tune ups to her car. A light blue Maverick. She can lure every kind of animal to her hand and she decided she was a lesbian around 60. So apparently she can lure every kind of everything to her hand. Lives a completely healthy, free life. Doted on by all her children. I still make her garlic toast. And keep old cooking oil in a can. Every day around 4:30 she has a well watered Black Velvet. And still enjoys her hot tub nude.

She rocks.

Is she hot? I'm asking for a friend.

Simply Red
10-31-2014, 09:08 PM
Both of my grandmas are cool.

One took me to buy the Murder Was the Case soundtrack cassette from the Blue Ridge Mall, and then demanded that I play it in her car. She was feeling it.

This is great - Yes - I remember seeing the video prior to anything else.

That song was like woahh - as was this new rapper - Snoop Doggy Dog? What tha..?

But that track was solid - heck even the instrumental.

Orange Julius - Mad r'Spek

RobBlake
10-31-2014, 09:09 PM
I care about you.

:( thank you buddy

I often wonder about what it is to feel the love and exp of a grandparent.. i use my gramps wallet that i found in storage... close as i can get.. man watching lakers makes me sad cheeks apparently

Simply Red
10-31-2014, 09:10 PM
My grandma was amazing. She drove only Lincoln Towncars for years and years. Every holiday she made me a pecan pie and my sister a cheesecake. She was ruthless in a game of aggravation (the marble game).

Aggravation was what we played, it was a lot of fun - people never do these things (hardly) anymore. It's sad really.

Your Grandmother sounds amazing, bro.

Lonewolf Ed
What all did she cook?

She cooked all sorts of classic Danish food, and my favorite was simply called "soup." It is a clear beef broth soup with egg dumplings, small pork meatballs, and diced carrots. She made it better than anyone else. She made the best coffee cakes, too.

How was her hair?

White-blue

Rye bread and coffee beans

No, we played a card game called Whist.

I don't know personally. My Grandpa died when I was 4 and half. My mother says I am a lot like him, though, which I think it pretty cool.

Nowhere. Grandma was a cooking machine!

None

Yes, I was. I saw her for the last time in Denmark in August of 1987. The docs said she had pancreatic cancer and 6 months to live. She took my hand and told me to tell my mother to come as soon as she and my dad returned from Montana. I got home, called my mom in Montana and said, "Grandma's dying. You need to fly to Denmark as soon as you get back here from Montana." She did and held her hand as Grandma breathed her last, and that was a month after I was there with her. Grandma died a week before her 87th birthday. I visit her grave everytime I return to Denmark, as I promised I would. And another thing, everyone called her Mama except me. I said as a small child I only have one mama, so I called her Grandma and she was fine with that.

Simply Red
:( thank you buddy

You're welcome.

Simply Red
10-31-2014, 09:11 PM

She rocks.

She sounds nice, doll.

Simply Red
10-31-2014, 09:12 PM
What all did she cook?

She cooked all sorts of classic Danish food, and my favorite was simply called "soup." It is a clear beef broth soup with egg dumplings, small pork meatballs, and diced carrots. She made it better than anyone else. She made the best coffee cakes, too.

Yum

KChiefs1
10-31-2014, 09:12 PM
Didn't know either of my grandmother's...Both died before I was born.

ModSocks
10-31-2014, 09:16 PM
My other grandma didn't wanna come around me when i was a kid.

She said i looked too much like my mother (she died when i was 3). Whenever she saw me, she would cry. She felt guilty about my mother's death and looking at me brought her too much pain.

The one time i visited, she locked herself in the room the entire time i was there, crying. I havent seen or heard from her since.

listopencil
10-31-2014, 09:46 PM
My grandmother grew up on a farm in Virginia, where her family raised racehorses and pigs. She was born in 1915 so she came of age during the depression and WWII. She maintained a "victory garden" even during the last few years of her life. The first store bought ready-to-eat product that she ever had in her kitchen was Kellog's Corn Flakes which she purchased in the late 1970's. She went to nursing school and worked as a RN until she was ready to have kids. Two of them, my mother and uncle. She stopped working to be a full time mom until they were grown. Then she went to work for Dow Chemical until retirement. The woman could cook from scratch any dish that you could name (and many that you couldn't) with such skill and artistry that you'd swear you were eating at an expensive restaurant whenever you sat at her table. And sit you would because not one person ever left her house hungry as long as she was alive. She was a devout Christian who exemplified the very best of that faith, engaged in community service until her body wouldn't allow her to continue. Her and her husband were accomplished musicians. She on the piano and he on the banjo and guitar. They traveled in a gospel group together with a few friends and family members when time allowed and put on shows at various churches in the South. In fact, when I think of the South and the people there, she represents the best of the entire region. RIP.

Lonewolf Ed
10-31-2014, 10:01 PM
My grandmother grew up on a farm in Virginia, where her family raised racehorses and pigs. She was born in 1915 so she came of age during the depression and WWII. She maintained a "victory garden" even during the last few years of her life. The first store bought ready-to-eat product that she ever had in her kitchen was Kellog's Corn Flakes which she purchased in the late 1970's. She went to nursing school and worked as a RN until she was ready to have kids. Two of them, my mother and uncle. She stopped working to be a full time mom until they were grown. Then she went to work for Dow Chemical until retirement. The woman could cook from scratch any dish that you could name (and many that you couldn't) with such skill and artistry that you'd swear you were eating at an expensive restaurant whenever you sat at her table. And sit you would because not one person ever left her house hungry as long as she was alive. She was a devout Christian who exemplified the very best of that faith, engaged in community service until her body wouldn't allow her to continue. Her and her husband were accomplished musicians. She on the piano and he on the banjo and guitar. They traveled in a gospel group together with a few friends and family members when time allowed and put on shows at various churches in the South. In fact, when I think of the South and the people there, she represents the best of the entire region. RIP.

She sounds like she was a wonderful person and an exceptional granny!

TimBone
10-31-2014, 10:35 PM
This thread needs pics of the grannies in their early years.

TimBone
10-31-2014, 10:37 PM
Aggravation was what we played, it was a lot of fun - people never do these things (hardly) anymore. It's sad really.

Your Grandmother sounds amazing, bro.
We still have cut throat matches of aggravation every time the family gets together. I've seen married family members sleep in separate rooms multiple nights in a row after a game of aggravation. Shit is serious, bro.

Simply Red
10-31-2014, 10:38 PM

I'm trying to better the planet.

GloucesterChief
10-31-2014, 10:49 PM
What all did she cook?

Boulette Francaise (http://www.recipezazz.com/recipe/boulette-francaise-french-canadian-meatballs-in-white-sauce-1442), cheesecake, tomato gravy, and tourtiere (http://allrecipes.com/recipe/meat-pie-tourtiere/)

How was her hair?

Brown then grey

Cooked onions and garlic. She was French Canadian and my grandfather was Italian-German.

No.

In his younger days no. He was pretty abusive to my father and my uncle not my aunt though. He mellowed with age.

You don't go to grandma's house to eat out.

Various

Somewhat. Military family so we were never in close proximity that often.

tooge
10-31-2014, 10:50 PM
She died when I was 16. She took us bowling a lot, baked a killer apple crisp, had an incredible garden, and rolled her own smoke, in front of us kids too.

Great lady

listopencil
10-31-2014, 11:18 PM
She sounds like she was a wonderful person and an exceptional granny!

Yes, she was. The world grew a little dimmer with her passing.

J Diddy
11-01-2014, 03:47 AM
My grandmother is awesome. She was always there for me (especially after my mom--her daughter died in 1992 when I was 17).

I grew up with every holiday having big family get togethers at her house where my brothers and cousins would play board games at the kids table. Her second husband, although not biological, was always my grandpa and had a heart of gold.

She was/is incredibly religious, would do anything to help anyone (for example when she was 79 she hurt her back lifting clothes she gathered to donate to a shelter--an injury that was so significant that it made her incapable of getting out of bed that after 2 days of being incapacitated her neighbors in Liberal, MO beat her door down and she had to get transported to a hospital). The next week she moved to Joplin in a senior living duplex. She lived there until the tornado wiped her complex out(ironically her apartment wasn't touched).

The coolest thing is that we got to pick the day my son was born and we picked her 80th birthday. She still refers to him as her 80th birthday present.

After the tornado she moved to Grove, OK where my uncle lives. She's starting to show signs of dementia and that breaks my heart. She's probably the closest thing to a saint I've ever seen.

Deberg_1990
11-01-2014, 07:31 AM
Orange Julius - Mad r'Spek

Love me sum Ornage Julius!

Merry go Round. Mad rSpek

My grandma bought me sum parachute pants from there back in 84

Simply Red
11-01-2014, 08:06 AM
Love me sum Ornage Julius!

Merry go Round. Mad rSpek

My grandma bought me sum parachute pants from there back in 84

I had them too - but I purchased mine at DJL.

Simply Red
11-01-2014, 08:06 AM
I had a blue pair, it was odd.

gblowfish
11-01-2014, 08:57 AM
What all did she cook?
Grandma Cookie: Baked ham, hamburgers.
Grandma Shorty: Chocolate Pie, Lemon Cake

How was her hair?
Grandma Cookie: White.
Grandma Shorty: Gray.

Grandma Cookie: Ben Gay.
Grandma Shorty: Pine (Pine trees surrounded house)

Both: Yes, if chinese checkers counts.

Both: Not especially.

Both: Never.

Both: Neither drove a car

Very close to Grandma Cookie. Not as close to Grandma Shorty. Both passed years ago.

Grandma Shorty lived to be 98. I asked her what her favorite invention was in her lifetime, she said the Microwave oven.

BullJunkandIron
11-01-2014, 09:08 AM
Several g'ma's. One grandma use to check my brother and I for worms. Our scrotums would get scratched by her fingernails. Then we would get an enama and have to eat nothing but pumpkin seeds for 3 weeks. During those 3 week periods the family would have major feasts and my brother and I would get a handful of pumpkin seeds.

Donger
11-01-2014, 09:20 AM
What all did she cook?

Paternal Grandmother: I don't believe she knew how to cook.

Maternal Grandmother: She cooked everything, including chickens and rabbits she raised.

How was her hair?

Paternal Grandmother: Gray.

Maternal Grandmother: Gray.

Yes, both were malodorous, but I don't recall why.

No on both.

Paternal Grandmother: Apparently not.

Maternal Grandmother: Yes, a really nice man.

Not applicable.

Neither had a car. I don't believe either knew how to drive.

No, I wasn't, even when they were alive.

Hammock Parties
11-01-2014, 09:32 AM
I had two wonderful grandmas. They belong in the grandma hall of fame. First ballot.

They could cook their butts off.

Definitely NOT game manager grandmas. Franchise grandmas. They could throw it deeeeeeep.

BucEyedPea
11-01-2014, 09:37 AM
Thanks guys.

Paternal Side (The Sicilian): Had a second kitchen in my aunt's house where she cooked most of the time. What all did she cook?

Homemade Ravioli and Homemade Italian Sausage were her two specialities we always looked forward to. But of course she made Italian tomato sauce which was the same as my Mom's who got it from her because that's the only kind my dad would eat.

Her quahog (larger clam) sauce over pasta and stuffed quahhogs were awesome too. Then again we lived in New England and the quahogs were often picked on Cape Cod or somewhere else in New England after a day of quahog picking by the rest of my aunt's family. Her salad was just a a simple olive oil and vinegar and lettuce. I didn't know when growing up that it was the olive oil that made it different from my own families. My dad hated olive oil as he had it growing up all the time. In fact they never used butter. His bread would be toasted and slathered with olive oil.

Other than that she made just about everything else we eat but it was my aunt's family that got to enjoy it most of the time because she lived with them.

How was her hair? Grey

Did her house have a certain odor? Didn't notice it.

Did you ever play marbles with her? Never.

Was her husband a nice guy? Dead. Never met him.

Where did she used to take you to eat out? Never. It was a crime in her home.

What sort of automobile did she sport? She didn't drive.

Were you or Are you close to her? She spoke little English and that was just a word or two so no. I remember her saying "Mangia! Mangia!" more than anything else. We were taught to call her Nonna. On holidays we were taught a few simple Italian phrases to greet her for that holiday.

My sister and I lived with this aunt, where Nonna lived, for six months and she tried to help me with my math homework when I was struggling and it was brutal. Didn't know anything she said half the time.

Plus my lunch at school had way too much food in it, compared to what my own mom gave me. I could never finish it. Then we we got home there be a huge piece of cake and a glass of milk on the kitchen table waiting for us.

BucEyedPea
11-01-2014, 09:37 AM
Several g'ma's. One grandma use to check my brother and I for worms. Our scrotums would get scratched by her fingernails. Then we would get an enama and have to eat nothing but pumpkin seeds for 3 weeks. During those 3 week periods the family would have major feasts and my brother and I would get a handful of pumpkin seeds.

ROFL

Hammock Parties
11-01-2014, 09:43 AM
specialties:

Roast beef and mashed potatoes
Baked ham
Biscuits and gravy
Chocolate cake
Blackberry pie

Hammock Parties
11-01-2014, 09:45 AM
We used to play a lot of cribbage, scrabble, monopoly and spades.

We were easily impressed as kids and liked going to KFC. This was the beginning of my fatness I'm sure.

Grandma wanted to make sure I was good and chubby so I didn't get any girls pregnant when I was a teenager.

BucEyedPea
11-01-2014, 09:47 AM
[FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Thanks guys and gals. <---snubbing us, 'eh?

The Yankee.
What all did she cook? Nothing.
I know she did. This one lived at one of my aunt's on my mother's side when I got older.

How was her hair? Grey.

Did her house have a certain odor? Not that I noticed but the stairs up to her place were always spooky and creepy to me. She had tons of these little knick-knack statues everywhere and lace doilies and cats.

Did you ever play marbles with her? No.

Was her husband a nice guy? Dead. Was hit by a car when young. He was an alcoholic.

Where did she used to take you to eat out? Never. Always gave us money though and would do the dishes that my sister and I had to do after supper.
She'd always let me play with her lipstick and put it on.

What sort of automobile did she sport? She was relatively poor. She didn't have a car. She lived in the city and took public transit to work.

Were you or Are you close to her? Closer than my other grandparent because I was closer to that side of the family.My only cousin my age on the Sicilian side was a snob. They were well-off Sicilians from the merchant class in Sicily.

She was very loving and kind. Always called us sweetie, gave us money and did our main chore—the dishes. We talked with her about things but I don't remember what. I inherited her wedding diamond when she died for a special reason which I won't mention. But she apparently had a special place in her heart for me.

She eventually went blind and with that couldn't work anymore.

Hammock Parties
11-01-2014, 09:50 AM
We used to go to garage sales in her Oldsmobile. That thing was a tank. But the metal seat belt buckles burned the fuck out of my hands and legs during the summer.

Later they got a sky blue Dodge Dynasty, which I inherited. It was literally my grandma ride. My no-pussy wagon.

Donger
11-01-2014, 09:53 AM
I always suspected it, but never really got to see it first-hand, but my Dad's mother was apparently evil. And I don't mean just mean. Evil to the core.

Hammock Parties
I always suspected it, but never really got to see it first-hand, but my Dad's mother was apparently evil. And I don't mean just mean. Evil to the core.

My dad's mother used to vacuum during football games.

BucEyedPea

I heard my maternal Nana was a hottie. Not surprising since two of her daughters were 10s and the other a 7 or 8.

Never heard or saw any pics of the Sicilian one.

BucEyedPea
11-01-2014, 09:54 AM

LMAO O.M.G.

Fire Me Boy!
11-01-2014, 09:54 AM
Both of my grandmas are now dead. My mom's mom made the best peanut brittle on earth, but one of the things I remember most was being a young kid and not liking the casing on Polish sausage. Whenever we'd go to my grandma's house, we'd have biscuits and Polish sausage for breakfast, and Grandma would always peel my sausage for me.

My dad's mom made freakin' awesome cinnamon rolls.

Donger
11-01-2014, 09:55 AM

Hell, MY mother used to do that during Python and Fawlty Towers.

sd4chiefs
11-01-2014, 09:57 AM
My Grandma was a cook at a hospital. When we went to her house for Thanksgiving everything tasted like hospital food.

Hammock Parties
11-01-2014, 10:11 AM
My dad's mom made freakin' awesome cinnamon rolls.

Yes! I forgot, this was (still is) one of Grandma's specialties.

Also chocolate chip cookies with lots of butter in them.

Grandma also makes her chocolate cake with homemade frosting. None of that canned shit. I literally have a GIF of her spreading frosting on her cake, too.

LoneWolf
11-01-2014, 10:44 AM
Both of my Grandmothers have passed away. They were both great in unique ways.

My grandmother on my Mom's side if the family was a very organized, simple German woman. She loved to play pinochle and she told the best stories. I was in college when she died. I called her hospital room to tell her I would see her the next day (she was suffering from congestive heart failure and the doctors said there was nothing they could do) and her last words to me were: "I love you and look forward to seeing you. If I'm gone when you get here, just know I'll always be checking in on you." I made it home 2 hours after she died. Sorry about all the masturbating, Grandma.

My Grandmother on my Father's side was a wonderful woman. She was a phenomenal baker and supplied all the desserts for a local restaurant. She was a huge Notre Dame fan and when I showed her my acceptance letter she cried like a baby. Grandpa was a farmer and also owned a John Deere dealership. When he died, she slowly started slipping away. It was like her life wasn't worth living without Grandpa around. She passed away less than a year after his death. After she died, the family printed a cookbook of all of Grandma's recipes. In a town of 1,500 people, the cookbook sold over 5,000 copies.

jspchief
11-01-2014, 10:51 AM
women woman

Hammock Parties
11-01-2014, 11:07 AM
One of my grandmothers did crossword puzzles almost everyday. Her mind was razor sharp until the day she died.

I won't be doing any crossword puzzles but engaging your brain regularly is probably the best thing you can do for yourself as you get older. Valuable lesson from my grandma.

ClevelandBronco
11-01-2014, 11:44 AM
if you never had zlikrofi, you had some bad grandma luck.

Dayze
11-01-2014, 11:44 AM
My grandma was awesome. Very funny. I recall staying with her during the day during summer time, and for whatever reason Jehovah's witnesses would always come by. She would hear the knock at the door, notice it was them, then slip her false teeth around in her mouth so they would be on the verge of falling out. She would answer the door, let them greet her, then start chattering her teeth around, while making ransom noises like Odie in Family Guy, or Timmy in South Park.

The visitors would usually leave after about 15 seconds.

Simply Red
11-01-2014, 12:29 PM
women woman

yeah thanks idiot - that would have been on purpose - had you been on the last week - perhaps you'd understand the joke.

stumppy
11-01-2014, 12:37 PM
All four of my Grandparents were damn good at one particular thing...DEATH.
They all died earlier. Either before I was born or when I was too young to remember them.

vailpass
11-01-2014, 03:22 PM
My sweet grandma was in touch with nature like nothing I've ever seen. She kept a half acre garden and a chicken coop that made the grocery store all but unneeded. I remember canning season where my mom and all the aunts came over to help her put up strawberry, raspberry, grape, blackberry jelly and apple butter. The steam of the pressure cooker, the wax on the mason jars. Going out with grandpa to behead a few chickens, plucking then burning the pin feathers with blow torch. Hours later they were delicious dinner along with grandma's home grown potatoes, corn, bread. I miss her.

Deberg_1990
11-01-2014, 03:28 PM
I had a blue pair, it was odd.

Yea, I had like a silver pair. It was very odd. LOL

Remember the downstairs at the Blue Ridge Mall? It had like 2 movie theaters?

My grandma would drop me off at the movies back in the day.

Hammock Parties
11-01-2014, 03:30 PM
My grandma gave me a gift the last time I saw her...it was a bible. LMAO

I'll keep it I guess. It did come from grandma.

Easy 6
11-01-2014, 04:00 PM
Maternal Grandma cooked the typical all american stuff... fried chicken, meatloaf, fried and baked pork chops, burgers, ham & beans, Spam sammiches, mashed potatoes, fried fish, tater salad, mac n cheese, cornbread, fried green tomatoes, green beans with bacon & onion etc.

She lived with her second husband on a farm, so the home smelled somewhat earthy, but not dirty, she was a fastidious cleaner.

She would take me to eat at the all american Tastee Treat in a town of 2000, pure Americana.

Last car was an Impala.

She was a terrific gardener, loved to can her veggies, loved her dog, loved the wild turkey that would come by to visit all the time, she'd open the door and that sucker would walk right and wander around the house, no lie. Tough woman that grew up in the depression, lost her twin sister then lost her only son 20 years later. Lost her battle with lung cancer about 5 years ago, I was there the day she passed, miss her dearly.

Paternal Grandma, only got meet her one time for 2-3 days when I went down to St. Petersburg FL where she lived. From what I can tell she was a bit of hellion, married my grandfather who I never met. He was a straight up gangster in his younger days, met her while on the run from Capones outfit and they married under an assumed name that they never changed... my last name is totally phony, has nothing to do with who I am. Even in her old age she still enjoyed her martinis.

Hammock Parties
11-01-2014, 04:05 PM
Best memories from grandma's house:

Piling around the TV with big pillows and blankets and watching movies (Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade I remember particularly), while we ate homemade nachos, air popped popcorn, jalapeno poppers, candy and coke.

TrickyNicky
11-01-2014, 04:36 PM
She would often make me a grilled cheese or tuna sandwich with the crusts cut off. We would watch NBA on NBC on the weekends while we worked a puzzle or something else quiet. Scottie Pippen was her favorite player until he retired. One of the last good memories I have of her before her wits left her and she spent the remainder of her years in a nursing home was talking about the Sacramento Kings getting jobbed by the refs in the WCF. Nanny was all over that shit.