PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Random thoughts on the Chiefs snapcounts vs. Jets.

Direckshun
11-04-2014, 12:13 AM
Arrowhead Pride does its usual great job and lists the snapcounts for all the Chiefs players against the Jets.

http://www.arrowheadpride.com/2014/11/3/7149307/eric-berry-injury-returns-chiefs-snap-counts

Some thoughts:

1. Dee Ford didn't play a snap of defense -- what? why? It's the fucking Jets. We were ahead of them two scores nearly the entire game. If we're serious about replacing Hali with Ford, why are we not getting Ford on the field when possible?

2. Knile Davis only getting 10 snaps? A crime. Charles is in the last two or three years of great productivity. You need to eke as much out of him as possible, and playing him 90% of the snaps against a last place team that you're essentially crushing is poor management of your roster.

I'm in favor of trotting out Charles and getting productivity out of him in first halves, and then working in Knile as the primary back to punish and wear down defenses in the 2nd half. I really love how Knile runs. And a fresh Knile against a worn down defense trying to figure out how to stop his teammate? Even better.

3. Phillip Gaines played almost every single snap. God, how far has this kid coming in virtually no time at all. From our worst player in the preseason to potentially our best CB. If we end up retaining Sean Smith (looking more and more likely) than we may not have to burn a high rounder on CB in the draft, focusing instead on offensive playmakers.

4. Fasano playing nearly 100% of the snaps, and Kelce playing just north of 50% of the snaps, is something that continues to completely puzzle me. Andy Reid has shown the ability to correct course as the games get bigger, most notably benching Fisher last year for an "injury" and playing Stephenson at RT down the stretch, so hopefully this is something where the two gradually swap roles. Kelce is not only the superior weapon, he's also every bit the blocker Fasano is.

5. Pretty fascinating, how Sutton is handling these injuries on defense. Josh Mauga played 100% of the snaps. Mauga played under Sutton as a Jet, and just hasn't stayed healthy. Right now, he is playing extremely reliably at the position, smart with a good nose for the ball. At safety, and this is a shocker, Sutton chose to rotate in All Pro Eric Berry and let Abdullah and Parker play 100% of the defensive snaps. If that's not a gigantic vote of confidence in Ron Parker (who will be a free agent this offseason), nothing does. The Chiefs played Abdullah more and more last season just like Parker is now, and re-signed him as a priority. Hopefully we do the same with Parker -- but it does beg the question of where an All Pro safety with Berry's skillset fits in this defense. In Berry's defense, he did seem to play well, but I haven't rewatched the entire game yet.

6. Poe played just north of 80% of the snaps. The closer we can get him to 75% throughout the season, the better. He played 70% of the snaps against the Rams. That said, it's strange to me that they paid Vance Walker his semi-sizeable contract to just back up Poe. Did we fork over major dollar just to spell Poe? Really?

Also, this team is ridiculously under-using Kevin Vickerson. He's a free agent this offseason, so hopefully they can sign him for nothing. He really needs to be getting Jaye Howard's snaps. The reason this team can't stop the run right now is because our best run defender hardly plays.

7. Albert Wilson, for the 2nd week in a row: 1 snap, 1 reception. He's only run two plays the past two weeks, and they're both the same route, but he's looked smooth, secured the reception, and turned for yardage. Get this man on the field -- give him Hemingway's snaps. Fuck Hemingway.

8. Pretty fascinating that two scrubs Dorsey's found this offseason (Harris and McGlynn), one of whom was found days before the season has began, are outplaying Jeff Allen and Donald Stephenson, OL that Pioli spent TWO day 2 picks on.

lcarus
11-04-2014, 12:15 AM
I've also noticed the last 2 games we've been giving De'Anthony the ball a couple times in the 1st quarter (with success for the most part) and that's it. I'm guessing they're gonna work him in slowly.

Direckshun
11-04-2014, 12:17 AM
Another thing to note:

Dontari Poe has morphed from a soft spoken rookie to a loud mouthed personality in the locker room and on the field. I love it. That's the kind of personality you need on your defense, like the Pats have with Wilfork.

I forget which play it happened on, but the Jets converted a pretty good 3rd down by throwing to Harvin. On the play, Poe got a couple extra pushes from an OL. After the play, Poe grabbed him by the chestplate, got real close and was walking him back. Poe was NOT happy with the guy. Love the nastiness.

Poe at fullback is predictably awesome. Not only did he throw a pretty good block on the 1st snap that went nowhere, he totally whiffed on the second snap and fell over. LMAO So much awesome.

Rausch
11-04-2014, 12:25 AM
McGlynn isn't out playing anyone.

He might be the worst G I've ever watched play...

-King-
11-04-2014, 12:26 AM
Fasano is a better line blocker. Kelce is more of a hitter than a blocker on the line. That's why Fasano's in the game nearly all the snaps.

Direckshun
11-04-2014, 12:27 AM

You don't think McGlynn's play is at least EQUIVALENT to Allen's play last year?

Hammock Parties
11-04-2014, 12:32 AM
You don't think McGlynn's play is at least EQUIVALENT to Allen's play last year?

I hate to say this...you know I do...but we probably have the best backfield tandem for making a shit line look decent in the NFL.

Alex Smith and Jamaal Charles.

More often than not they just slide right past the first guy that comes free.

If you put Cassel and LJ in the backfield we'd probably have the worst O in football.

Rausch
11-04-2014, 12:32 AM

No.

And I'd love to replace Allen...

Easy 6
11-04-2014, 12:33 AM
Really isn't much for me to disagree with here other than Reid must be seeing something with Kelce that's making him reluctant to go all in with him... maybe he's not quite the blocker you think, maybe he's making mistakes in his routes/not getting to the right spots often enough, maybe a combo of both.

The playmaking talent is clearly miles above Fasano, so there must be a good reason for it.

And I do think its important to have/pay for a solid backup for Poe, we don't want a massive dropoff at that crucial spot when he goes out.

keg in kc
11-04-2014, 12:40 AM
Thinking this thread is about something else Len Dawson chimes in with "go on a quick count!" like this is the first quarter of any one of the last three thousand chiefs game.

crazycoffey
11-04-2014, 01:04 AM
Really isn't much for me to disagree with here other than Reid must be seeing something with Kelce that's making him reluctant to go all in with him... maybe he's not quite the blocker you think, maybe he's making mistakes in his routes/not getting to the right spots often enough, maybe a combo of both.

The playmaking talent is clearly miles above Fasano, so there must be a good reason for it.

And I do think its important to have/pay for a solid backup for Poe, we don't want a massive dropoff at that crucial spot when he goes out.

He's still raw in the complete package category. But makes up in the recieving threat (ie mis-matches) category. Small school, injured all last year. He loses some of that threat as an every down TE. For now.....

lcarus
11-04-2014, 01:09 AM

I concur. McGlynn makes Jeff Allen look like Will Shields...

Johnny Vegas
11-04-2014, 01:32 AM
I thought I saw Dee Ford literally throw a guy on his ass with one arm and almost block a punt. that was fucking awesome.

jonzie04
11-04-2014, 01:36 AM
I thought I saw Dee Ford literally throw a guy on his ass with one arm and almost block a punt. that was ****ing awesome.

Saw that too, that was awesome.

Johnny Vegas
11-04-2014, 01:40 AM
Saw that too, that was awesome.

too bad he didn't block it. would be seeing highlights of that shit and talking about Dee Ford in a good way.

OldSchool
11-04-2014, 01:48 AM
Good, give Dee Ford the Phillip Gaines treatment, maybe he'll see the same improvement.

Hog's Gone Fishin
11-04-2014, 01:58 AM
If you look at the stat sheet, the Jets out played us. They won time of possession, had more passing yard, more rushing yards and Vick actually was better than Smith. We only won the points battle.

Direckshun
11-04-2014, 02:02 AM
I'm pretty sure the Chiefs went up 21-10 at halftime and Reid and Sutton both decided to call off the dogs and save themselves for Buffalo.

It does beg the question why they continued to trot out Charles, Hali, and Houston when the game was clearly in KC's favor.

Edit: Or Alex Smith, for that matter.

Hammock Parties
11-04-2014, 02:04 AM
I'm pretty sure the Chiefs went up 21-10 at halftime and Reid and Sutton both decided to call off the dogs and save themselves for Buffalo.

It does beg the question why they continued to trot out Charles, Hali, and Houston when the game was clearly in KC's favor.

http://reactionface.net/reactionface/images/original/983.jpg?new=1

Direckshun
11-04-2014, 02:13 AM
Sorry, I meant to say that the Jets finally exposed our offense and defense as shams, and therefore gave the remaining slate of opponents two full quarters of domination film study which will ultimately be our undoing.

We will forever remember the second half of the Jets game as the locus of our foiling.

temper11
11-04-2014, 02:21 AM
I hate to say this...you know I do...but we probably have the best backfield tandem for making a shit line look decent in the NFL.

Alex Smith and Jamaal Charles.

More often than not they just slide right past the first guy that comes free.

If you put Cassel and LJ in the backfield we'd probably have the worst O in football.

:eek:

chiefzilla1501
11-04-2014, 07:01 AM
So.... I wonder if Ford didn't play much because of what happened against Kaepernick. Until he learns the game, I'm guessing he plays against pocket passers vs. threats to run. He looked confused against Kaepernick and I'd bet New York would exploit that. It's going to take him some time to learn how to rush/cover/stop the run.... extra wrinkle to ask him to also contain a QB and determine if he's running/passing.

Wallcrawler
11-04-2014, 08:01 AM
Arrowhead Pride does its usual great job and lists the snapcounts for all the Chiefs players against the Jets.

http://www.arrowheadpride.com/2014/11/3/7149307/eric-berry-injury-returns-chiefs-snap-counts

Some thoughts:

1. Dee Ford didn't play a snap of defense -- what? why? It's the ****ing Jets. We were ahead of them two scores nearly the entire game. If we're serious about replacing Hali with Ford, why are we not getting Ford on the field when possible?

Firstly, its called not wanting to let the other team back into the football game with a dumbass mistake on Ford's side of the field. With Johnson's speed, the guy can take it the distance. Ford can learn on the practice field. This is likely Tamba's last season here, we need to get our money's worth.

2. Knile Davis only getting 10 snaps? A crime. Charles is in the last two or three years of great productivity. You need to eke as much out of him as possible, and playing him 90% of the snaps against a last place team that you're essentially crushing is poor management of your roster.

I was also thinking that the Chiefs should lead off with Knile in some games. Against the Rams, Jamaal wasn't getting anything good between the tackles, but Knile was taking them to the woodshed later in the game. Now, whether this is due to fatigue, or an admission that the game was simply over is for you to decide, but this guy would be an amazing meat tenderizer for us, and we send in Charles to completely throw them off kilter.

I'm in favor of trotting out Charles and getting productivity out of him in first halves, and then working in Knile as the primary back to punish and wear down defenses in the 2nd half. I really love how Knile runs. And a fresh Knile against a worn down defense trying to figure out how to stop his teammate? Even better.

This would work also

4. Fasano playing nearly 100% of the snaps, and Kelce playing just north of 50% of the snaps, is something that continues to completely puzzle me. Andy Reid has shown the ability to correct course as the games get bigger, most notably benching Fisher last year for an "injury" and playing Stephenson at RT down the stretch, so hopefully this is something where the two gradually swap roles. Kelce is not only the superior weapon, he's also every bit the blocker Fasano is.

Gotta disagree here. Fasano is by far the superior blocker. Kelce is more of a "get my hands on you and try to stop you" blocker instead of moving men out of the way. Until he becomes a full on participant in the blocking game, he isn't going to get more snaps than Fasano.

5. Pretty fascinating, how Sutton is handling these injuries on defense. Josh Mauga played 100% of the snaps. Mauga played under Sutton as a Jet, and just hasn't stayed healthy. Right now, he is playing extremely reliably at the position, smart with a good nose for the ball. At safety, and this is a shocker, Sutton chose to rotate in All Pro Eric Berry and let Abdullah and Parker play 100% of the defensive snaps. If that's not a gigantic vote of confidence in Ron Parker (who will be a free agent this offseason), nothing does. The Chiefs played Abdullah more and more last season just like Parker is now, and re-signed him as a priority. Hopefully we do the same with Parker -- but it does beg the question of where an All Pro safety with Berry's skillset fits in this defense. In Berry's defense, he did seem to play well, but I haven't rewatched the entire game yet.

You can look at it two ways. As a vote of confidence in Parker, or as an indictment on Berry's durability. From things that Ive read and seen, it sounds like they were trying to be careful with him and ease him back into the game. I don't see Ron Parker supplanting a 100% healthy Eric Berry. If it truly is a skillset issue, machinations for a trade need to begin now. We pay that dude way too much money to be a rotational player.

8. Pretty fascinating that two scrubs Dorsey's found this offseason (Harris and McGlynn), one of whom was found days before the season has began, are outplaying Jeff Allen and Donald Stephenson, OL that Pioli spent TWO day 2 picks on.

To be fair, Jeff Allen is on IR. Nothing he can do about that. I cannot believe anyone would say that McGlynn is outplaying ANYONE. This guy is the worst O-lineman in KC since Jordan Black.

Three7s
11-04-2014, 08:27 AM
Kelce went to the Antonio Gates school for blocking. PLEASE don't tell me he's good in that department, because he's not.

Pasta Little Brioni
11-04-2014, 08:29 AM
Parker at corner is painful. He lines off 20 yards off the ball and gives Em an easy completion. It wasn't like the team was up 28 either.

BigMeatballDave
11-04-2014, 08:33 AM
If you look at the stat sheet, the Jets out played us. had more passing yard, more rushing yards and Vick actually was better than Smith. We only won the points battle.

Not true, but it was close.

Mr. Laz
11-04-2014, 10:26 AM
Parker at corner is painful. He lines off 20 yards off the ball and gives Em an easy completion. It wasn't like the team was up 28 either.

It's almost like Reid doesn't give a shit who the best player is ... he wants the guy who does exactly what he's told, regardless of the results.

:shrug:

prhom
11-04-2014, 11:03 AM
If you look at the stat sheet, the Jets out played us. They won time of possession, had more passing yard, more rushing yards and Vick actually was better than Smith. We only won the points battle.

I remember reading last year that the Chiefs were among the most efficient teams in the league at yards per point scored while forcing other teams to get a lot of yards to score points. Obviously special teams and scoring defense was the main reason for it.

This Jets game didn't have those two things going significantly in our favor. Good red zone defense is all I can think of to explain how we were so even with the Jets on stats, but uneven on the points scored.

Mr. Laz
11-04-2014, 11:29 AM

Jets put up a ton of stats in garbage time

-King-
11-04-2014, 11:37 AM
Jets had 112 yards their last 2 drives when Chiefs didn't give a fuck.

Easy 6
11-04-2014, 11:41 AM

Yup, they need to stick him in the safety rotation permanently, its clearly his best spot and its not even close.

Wallcrawler
11-04-2014, 02:56 PM

Anyone that watched that Wildcard Playoff loss would disagree.

I would venture to say that for the duration of Andy Reid's tenure here, and as long as any coaches/players that participated in that ****ing debacle remain, the Kansas City Chiefs will NEVER just decide to come out at the beginning of the second half and just "call off the dogs."

Jesus Christ.

When 38-10 midway through the third is not a safe lead, you damn sure don't "save yourself for Buffalo" with an 11 point lead. Come on.

Direckshun
11-05-2014, 01:54 AM
http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/147940/the-film-dont-lie-chiefs-7

The Film Don’t Lie: Chiefs
By Adam Teicher | ESPN.com
November, 4, 2014

A weekly look at what the Kansas City Chiefs must fix:

Here is a simple solution for the Chiefs to energize their passing game vs. the Bills in Buffalo on Sunday: Play the best receivers.

Tight end Travis Kelce is the Chiefs’ best receiver. He leads them team in receptions (32), receiving yardage (419) and receiving touchdowns (4). That is remarkable considering he doesn’t get as many snaps as some of the other receivers.

Kelce was in for 30 of the 58 offensive snaps in the Chiefs’ win against the New York Jets on Sunday. He caught four passes for 67 yards and a touchdown. He was the receiver on the Chiefs’ longest pass play of the season, 34 yards.

What might have Kelce delivered if he had played more? More importantly, what kind of production would he give the Chiefs in Buffalo against one of the NFL’s best defensive teams if he plays more?

The Chiefs also might be able to squeeze more production from RB De'Anthony Thomas (10 snaps against the Jets) and TE Demetrius Harris (7). The Chiefs have flourished when they have used a three-tight end formation featuring Kelce, Harris and Anthony Fasano. The team should utilize it more often.

Starting wide receiver A.J. Jenkins has value to the Chiefs because of his speed. But since he moved into the lineup four games ago because of Donnie Avery's injury, Jenkins has four catches for 50 yards. That’s not much production for so much playing time.

That is why some of his snaps should go to others.