PDA

View Full Version : Life Proof we can all be offended

displacedinMN
11-04-2014, 07:02 PM
I exist, therefore I am offended

Group calls DirecTV ad with Rob Lowe discriminatory toward people with shy bladders

Article by: DAVID BAUDER , Associated Press Updated: November 4, 2014 - 11:45 AM

NEW YORK — Shy bladder sufferers want DirecTV to stop airing a television ad where a "painfully awkward" actor Rob Lowe says that he can't urinate in public.

The satellite TV company suggests its critics should be able to take a joke.

Part of a campaign to encourage people to switch from cable, the ad features two Lowes: a handsome one in a slick suit who claims to be a DirecTV customer, and a goofy-looking Lowe wearing a fanny pack with his hair parted in the middle. "Painfully awkward" Lowe is a cable customer.

The ad touts DirecTV's service, saying cable makes subscribers wait.

"Fact: I can't go with other people in the room," said awkward Lowe, standing at a urinal.

The ad is in poor taste and ridicules a serious problem, said Steve Soifer, CEO of the International Paruresis Association, which estimates that some 7 percent of Americans have some form of "shy bladder syndrome."

"We don't mind if people have a little fun with it," said Soifer, a social work professor at the University of Memphis. "It's a situation that a lot of people don't understand. In this particular case, the portrayal is making it look ridiculous, that this guy is a loser for having a problem.

"What if he didn't have a leg or an arm?" he said. "Are you going to make fun of them?"

Members of his group have written and called DirecTV, asking that the ad be removed. But Darris Gringeri, spokesman for DirecTV, said it won't.

"The ads will continue to run for the vast majority of viewers who have told us they enjoy the spots and understand that, like all of our commercials, they take place in a fantasy world and are not based in reality," Gringeri said.

Thought about DC-move it if you want.

cosmo20002
11-04-2014, 07:18 PM
These guys really sound pissed off.

DaFace
11-04-2014, 07:53 PM
I certainly hope this isn't a DC issue.

rabblerouser
11-04-2014, 07:55 PM
I certainly hope this isn't a DC issue.

All the bleeding pussies of the world want EVERYTHING to be a 'DC' issue.

DaneMcCloud
11-04-2014, 08:29 PM
These guys really have some balls

Hootie
11-04-2014, 08:31 PM
people are embarrassing

I have no idea how anyone could ever, ever, ever offend me.

CapsLockKey
11-04-2014, 08:45 PM
Comparing people who can't pee in public to amputees, that's quite the stretch.

lcarus
11-04-2014, 08:47 PM
People really do just LOOK for reasons to be offended anymore.

Dayze
11-04-2014, 08:56 PM

Yep.

lewdog
11-04-2014, 08:57 PM

Hey, fuck you!!! We do not!!!

lcarus
11-04-2014, 08:58 PM
Hey, fuck you!!! We do not!!!

LMAO

Fire Me Boy!
11-04-2014, 09:01 PM
These guys really sound pissed off.

Nope. Too many people around.

Tacoman
11-04-2014, 09:09 PM
I don't like shitting in public places, and I don't like other people blowing out the porcelain while I am in the bathroom, but complaining about it to dish seems ridiculously oversensitive.

Can't they just find a good set of earphones? Worked wonders for me :D

Mr_Kansasski
11-04-2014, 09:33 PM
I'm down at the rec center watching people swim.

Sully
11-04-2014, 10:01 PM
I can't pee other than in a stall.
Those troughs at Arrowhead? Forget about it. Even the vast majority of urinals... Just isn't happening. Been that way my whole life.

Am I offended? Hell no, I'm just happy to know there are other awkward people like me!!!

LoneWolf
11-04-2014, 10:09 PM
I can't pee other than in a stall.
Those troughs at Arrowhead? Forget about it. Even the vast majority of urinals... Just isn't happening. Been that way my whole life.

Am I offended? Hell no, I'm just happy to know there are other awkward people like me!!!

No more troughs at Arrowhead. At least not by my section.

Psyko Tek
11-04-2014, 10:10 PM
I don't like shitting in public places, and I don't like other people blowing out the porcelain while I am in the bathroom, but complaining about it to dish seems ridiculously oversensitive.

Can't they just find a good set of earphones? Worked wonders for me :D

in public no problem I will fucking wreck a toilet, not at work, I gotta see those guys everyday

RealSNR
11-04-2014, 10:17 PM
I'm more pissed about the first ads they ran, where there was less attractive Rob Lowe.

Ugly people control the world. It's Clark Hunt and David Glass who own sports teams, not fucking Rob Lowe.

Jimmya
11-04-2014, 10:40 PM
Crazy ass people in this great nation!

Tacoman
11-04-2014, 10:44 PM
in public no problem I will ****ing wreck a toilet, not at work, I gotta see those guys everyday

:D. I don't know why it gets me so bad, but when I hear someone blow the bottom out of the bowl it makes me vomit a little bit.

Nickel D
11-04-2014, 10:51 PM
To those offended:

Don't get into a pissing contest and just go with the flow.

Nickel D
11-04-2014, 10:54 PM
One of the more original Hunter Pence signs I saw at the K:

Hunter Pence and Creepy Rob Lowe are bros!

ClevelandBronco
11-04-2014, 10:55 PM
...some 7 percent of Americans have some form of "shy bladder syndrome."

I wonder how many forms there are. Is it like some sort of shy bladder spectrum?

Canofbier
11-04-2014, 11:05 PM
I guess I can see how the head of an organization of already humiliated people could take offense to something that makes light of a behavior his constituents are already upset about. However, I don't think I'd be upset with the commercial if I had a shy bladder, personally.

Oddly enough, I think this is pretty comparable to the whole Redskins thing. There's an understandable reason for offense, but the majority of people targeted couldn't care less.

TimBone
11-05-2014, 12:02 AM
I'm more pissed about the first ads they ran, where there was less attractive Rob Lowe.

Ugly people control the world. It's Clark Hunt and David Glass who own sports teams, not fucking Rob Lowe.
Stop it. Clark Hunt is dashing.

cosmo20002
11-05-2014, 12:16 AM
Stop it. Clark Hunt is dashing.

Dashing my hopes for a Super Bowl maybe! Amirite?

beach tribe
11-05-2014, 12:23 AM
Louis CK On Being White with CC (closed captions): http://youtu.be/xqbw4nHrHc0

Coochie liquor
11-05-2014, 06:05 AM
I hope it's not a girl..... Or a guy...

TomBarndtsTwin
11-05-2014, 06:57 AM
This thread is 'painfully awkward'.

DRU
11-05-2014, 09:10 AM
I actually tend to have this problem. It's so weird. I couldn't care less about whipping it out in front of people or anything like that. Just a mind thing. It happened for the first time at a concert years ago where there was a long line of guys waiting and I was taking a while to go. Started feeling anxious about making them wait and just gave up so I could give up the urinal. Ever since then when I'm in a public place and I have to pee the first thing I think about is "ah, damn, I hope I'm able to go or this'll be a long day for me." That right there is the problem.

That said, when I saw this commercial I laughed at it (and myself). My mom teased me about it when she saw the commercial, too. Far from offensive, and I don't feel like I'm the equivalent of the awkward Rob Lowe because of it.

People just want attention, even when it's about something that seems embarrassing.

okcchief
11-06-2014, 06:38 PM
I really do hate this oversensitive bullshit. Pretty soon we won't be able to talk at all. There will be no non offensive words left.

BWillie
11-06-2014, 06:41 PM
I'm waiting for the next Rob Lowe commercial. I vote for either asshole Rob Lowe or dbag Rob Lowe, oh wait, that would just be him being himself.

tk13
11-06-2014, 07:01 PM
I'm actually surprised it took this long. From when I first saw these, I figured it would make someone with a legitimate condition upset.

jimidollar
11-06-2014, 08:22 PM
I'm offended by these pussies being offended.

ping2000
11-07-2014, 06:38 AM
"Redskin Rob Lowe" next?

Coochie liquor
11-07-2014, 08:02 AM
This society is crazy now. Everyone is offended and you can't even use a decent slogan anymore. I still can't believe Red Bull lost a lawsuit because it doesn't REALLY give you wings. What stupid ass thought they'd get wings from Red Bull? Now PCP.... That'll give you wings!!

ptlyon
11-07-2014, 08:52 AM
"Redskin Rob Lowe" next?

That would be awesome. Unfortunately Direct TV will squash these ads like a old Mill can at a pre-prom party at the lake.

Beef Supreme
11-07-2014, 08:57 AM
The Fanny Pack Society or "Fanny Packers" are also offended.

WhiteWhale
11-07-2014, 09:23 AM
This society is crazy now. Everyone is offended and you can't even use a decent slogan anymore. I still can't believe Red Bull lost a lawsuit because it doesn't REALLY give you wings. What stupid ass thought they'd get wings from Red Bull? Now PCP.... That'll give you wings!!

America's society is stupidly litigious. Medical malpractice lawsuits have payouts about 10 times higher in the US than any other civilized country and we can't figure out why our medical costs are so high. IT's amazing.

Bob Dole
11-07-2014, 09:36 AM
International Paruresis Association annual conference, where you never have to wait in the pisser line between sessions.