PDA

View Full Version : Food and Drink The Fried Chicken Tips, Tricks, and Recipes Thread

Dayze
11-05-2014, 08:49 AM
I’m a food nerd. I love dang near anything (except pickles….disgusting). and I love cooking, trying new dishes and techniques etc.

Well, something just hit me like a ton of bricks this past weekend when my wife and I were talking about food – I’ve never made fried chicken!

Naturally, I immediately thought of this place as a spot where I would most assuredly gain wisdom from the fried chicken insiders.

A few things I’ve gathered via osmosis over the years would be to use buttermilk, and a cast iron skillet. What other tricks or tips should I keep in mind?
Should I use low-fat anti-freeze?

Fire Me Boy!
11-05-2014, 08:50 AM
First in.

Dayze
11-05-2014, 08:53 AM
LMAO. I figured you'd be the first. :D

Fire Me Boy!
11-05-2014, 08:56 AM
So if you're using a cast iron skillet you're pan frying, not deep frying. That's an important detail.

You'll want to marinade with buttermilk for at least 8 hours.

Your dredge is important. I like flour, salt and pepper, cayenne, and paprika. Maybe some garlic.

Don't crowd the chicken, and keep your oil around 325 during the cook.

Fire Me Boy!
11-05-2014, 08:57 AM
LMAO. I figured you'd be the first. :D

I have an ear twitch when people start talking about cast iron. :D

Dayze
11-05-2014, 09:05 AM
Lol. Like a Bat signal.

A few nice tips I’ve read that, for whatever reason, I had never thought of were;
Filling up your pan about ½ / 2/3rds way with the oil.
Not over-crowding (as you mentioned).
Placing the chicken on a wire cooling rack after cooking instead of paper towels.
Heat your oven to around 225, and keep your cooked chicken in there to keep warm during your other batches of frying.
Soaking in buttermilk for a few hours (as you mentioned)

Mixing in a little corn starch in with the flour dredge.

What do you think about dredging? In terms of ‘when’ to dredge. I’ve read tips that are all over the spectrum. Some say to dredge, then place back into the fridge for about an hour; some say let the chicken come up to nearly room temperature, then dredge, then immediately into the oil.

Fire Me Boy!
11-05-2014, 09:14 AM
Lol. Like a Bat signal.

A few nice tips I’ve read that, for whatever reason, I had never thought of were;
Filling up your pan about ½ / 2/3rds way with the oil.
Not over-crowding (as you mentioned).
Placing the chicken on a wire cooling rack after cooking instead of paper towels.
Heat your oven to around 225, and keep your cooked chicken in there to keep warm during your other batches of frying.
Soaking in buttermilk for a few hours (as you mentioned)

Mixing in a little corn starch in with the flour dredge.

What do you think about dredging? In terms of ‘when’ to dredge. I’ve read tips that are all over the spectrum. Some say to dredge, then place back into the fridge for about an hour; some say let the chicken come up to nearly room temperature, then dredge, then immediately into the oil.

I always dredge and then immediately into the oil. But I've never tried it any other way. Coming close to room temp makes some sense, as it'll cook faster.

I also put the cooked chicken on a wire rack instead of paper towels, and 225 seems a little hot - 200 would keep it plenty warm and lower the chances of drying it out. Just remember that 225 is over boiling point, so that's going to evaporate moisture quicker.

The fill point of the skillet I think is up for debate. I've always gone 3/4-1-inch deep in the skillet, which typically brings the oil to just below the top of the chicken.

Also, this isn't steak - turn often to get an even cook.

BucEyedPea
11-05-2014, 09:24 AM
Well, it gives me a belly ache. But I've never been able to make it crispy. I wish I could hang but gotta get ready to leave for a trade show again. I'll have lots of reading to catch up on when I get back.

Dayze
11-05-2014, 09:27 AM
Cool.
good point about the temp.
yeah, it would seem that cooking technique aside, that the dredge is huge in terms of flavor. endless possibilities there I'm sure.

what about oil? use something with a higher smoke point, I would assume?

Fire Me Boy!
11-05-2014, 09:31 AM
Cool.
good point about the temp.
yeah, it would seem that cooking technique aside, that the dredge is huge in terms of flavor. endless possibilities there I'm sure.

what about oil? use something with a higher smoke point, I would assume?

At 325-350 most anything will work. I like peanut over veg or canola, but either would be fine.

There's always duck fat. :)

ptlyon
11-05-2014, 09:31 AM
Well, it gives me a belly ache. But I've never been able to make it crispy. I wish I could hang but gotta get ready to leave for a trade show again. I'll have lots of reading to catch up on when I get back.

Wish I could say I'm an expert on this subject, but I'm not.

Although on America's Test Kitchen they say the key to crispy Fried chicken is to partially fry the pieces and let them rest and then fry them again until done. I don't remember times though for each fry.

Dayze
11-05-2014, 09:51 AM
I've also read to partially fry, then to complete the cooking in the oven, then one last dip in the hot oil afterwards for a final crisp.

Easy 6
11-05-2014, 09:57 AM
So if you're using a cast iron skillet you're pan frying, not deep frying. That's an important detail.

Your dredge is important. I like flour, salt and pepper, cayenne, and paprika. Maybe some garlic.

I tried the buttermilk thing for 24 hours, and it didnt impart a single ounce of flavor... it would've been just as good and cheaper in a salt water brine.

Buttermilk sounds great, I was expecting something really special... but it dont do diddly.

Easy 6
11-05-2014, 09:58 AM
I've also read to partially fry, then to complete the cooking in the oven, then one last dip in the hot oil afterwards for a final crisp.

Bah, heck with that, too much trouble and wont be any better than frying it straight through.

Dayze
11-05-2014, 10:00 AM
yeah, I'll probably just fry it the entire time etc rather than cooking in the oven.

I suppose I could try that method with a piece or two, to see if there's any difference etc.

Gonzo
11-05-2014, 10:02 AM
I've deep fried and pan fried chicken for years. Really I have to say that I prefer pan frying with cast iron. I have also discovered that if I get the oil a little hotter, (375-400) and basically flash fry, then cook it the rest of the way in the oven, it really makes a difference with it going all extra crunchy. However, be careful or the white meat will dry out like a mofo.

Definitely do the wire rack thing man. Paper towels don't absorb all the grease. My mom used to soak the chicken in some salt water, then let it rest in buttermilk until it gets close to room temp. I don't do that since I'm too fucking lazy. Lol
My dredge recipe is almost exactly the same as FMB's. You can't go wrong there. I use a lot of cayenne... I like spicy.

Good luck brother. Watch for grease fires.

hometeam
11-05-2014, 10:06 AM
I was always taught to only flip it once~

I brine, then season my flour with salt, pepper, garlic powder, paprika. Into the hot oil in a cast iron skillet.

FLIP ONCE.

enjoy~

ptlyon
11-05-2014, 10:08 AM
An example of double frying for those who want to try

http://www.wearenotmartha.com/2013/10/extra-crispy-fried-chicken/

Easy 6
11-05-2014, 10:10 AM
I was always taught to only flip it once~

I brine, then season my flour with salt, pepper, garlic powder, paprika. Into the hot oil in a cast iron skillet.

FLIP ONCE.

enjoy~

Paprika in the dredge is a GREAT call :thumb:, I always use it in my fried chicken... it adds a killer savory flavor to fried chicken.

hometeam
11-05-2014, 10:12 AM
Reading that FMB says flip many times, I have always kind of wondered if my way was right or not.

Fire Me Boy!
11-05-2014, 10:25 AM
I tried the buttermilk thing for 24 hours, and it didnt impart a single ounce of flavor... it would've been just as good and cheaper in a salt water brine.

Buttermilk sounds great, I was expecting something really special... but it dont do diddly.

I responded when that happened, the buttermilk isn't for flavor, it's for tenderness and juiciness and supposedly makes it fry crispier. Thinking it was going to impart some magical flavor was your mistake, not the buttermilk's.

Easy 6
11-05-2014, 10:28 AM
I responded when that happened, the buttermilk isn't for flavor, it's for tenderness and juiciness and supposedly makes it fry crispier. Thinking it was going to impart some magical flavor was your mistake, not the buttermilk's.

I've had it with water and BM, cant tell a bit of difference in tenderness or juiciness.

Graystoke
11-05-2014, 11:04 AM
I am a once flipper.
Also I use bread flour.

BigMeatballDave
11-05-2014, 11:14 AM
How could you not like pickles?

Love me some fried pickles.

Fire Me Boy!
11-05-2014, 11:26 AM
I've had it with water and BM, cant tell a bit of difference in tenderness or juiciness.

Your taste buds suck.

A brine better seasons the meat. Both methods enhance tenderness and juiciness.

Easy 6
11-05-2014, 11:29 AM
Your taste buds suck.

A brine better seasons the meat. Both methods enhance tenderness and juiciness.

I'll tell you what sucks, your persistent food snobbery, thats what.

I respect your skills and have complimented you many many times... but you're not the only one here that knows his way around a kitchen.

Graystoke
11-05-2014, 11:31 AM

I respect your skills and have complimented you many many times... but you're not the only one here that knows his way around a kitchen.

I like Popcorn:popcorn:

Fire Me Boy!
11-05-2014, 11:32 AM

I was kidding on the "your taste buds suck" comment. Calm down.

BeMyValentine
11-05-2014, 11:32 AM
Dredge Twice

Pablo
11-05-2014, 11:34 AM
Looking to be offended.

Nothing to see here folks, move it along.

ptlyon
11-05-2014, 11:35 AM
Looking to be offended.

You must like pickles then

Easy 6
11-05-2014, 11:44 AM
Looking to be offended.

Your comment is worthless, move it along.

Fire Me Boy!
11-05-2014, 12:14 PM
I was kidding on the "your taste buds suck" comment. Calm down.

Now that I'm on a desktop... The effects of brining are well documented. Feel free to peruse at your leisure if you want a deep dive on brining: http://stellaculinary.com/podcasts/video/the-science-behind-brining-resource-page

ptlyon
11-05-2014, 01:06 PM
I'm sold on brining. Tried it earlier this year and could not believe the difference.

BucEyedPea
11-05-2014, 01:53 PM
I'm sold on brining. Tried it earlier this year and could not believe the difference.

Yeah. I do that with my Thanksgiving turkey but never thought to use it for everyday chicken let alone fried chicken.

BucEyedPea
11-05-2014, 01:55 PM
You must like pickles then

I love a Kosher dill spear with a sammich and/or hamburger dill chips on a pickle. Pickles are awesome—just not when pregnant.

Fairplay
11-05-2014, 01:56 PM
racist thread is racist

Lzen
11-05-2014, 03:11 PM
I fry chicken like my mom taught me. Shortening, not oil. Warm it up to melt it on medium heat. Dip in flour and then place in the skillet. Generously sprinkle paprika and then add salt and pepper. That's it but my mom's fried chicken will stand up to any other I've ever had.

LoneWolf
11-05-2014, 03:20 PM

FMB, do you want your ass borked? Easy 6 will bork your fucking bork until you can't bork for a bork!

http://www.draftdaysuit.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/muppet-chef.jpg

Easy 6
11-05-2014, 03:23 PM
Now that I'm on a desktop... The effects of brining are well documented. Feel free to peruse at your leisure if you want a deep dive on brining: http://stellaculinary.com/podcasts/video/the-science-behind-brining-resource-page

:banghead:

I know brining makes a big difference, never said otherwise... I'm saying salt water is just as good as buttermilk.

highBOLTage
11-05-2014, 03:37 PM
I've never made it either, but am planning on it soon. Going to marinate the chicken in buttermilk and either hot sauce or jalapenos. Then use some of that buttermilk with corn flour (starch) to make a slurry as described here: http://thefriedchickenblog.blogspot.com/2013/07/guss-fried-chicken-update-july-16-2013.html

Dayze
11-05-2014, 03:42 PM
Anyone use batter? Or just straight up flour?

Fire Me Boy!
11-05-2014, 03:42 PM
:banghead:

I know brining makes a big difference, never said otherwise... I'm saying salt water is just as good as buttermilk.

You said, "I've had it with water and BM, cant tell a bit of difference in tenderness or juiciness."

Who would marinade in water? That's just washing flavor away. Sorry if I misunderstood - I thought you meant brine when you said water.

As for buttermilk, it's the acid and calcium in the buttermilk that does wonders. It's not any real flavor additive. More on buttermilk: http://www.pine3.info/Buttermilk.htm

Easy 6
11-05-2014, 03:44 PM
Anyone use batter? Or just straight up flour?

I prefer flour, dredge it once, into the egg wash then dredge again.

But theres nothing wrong with a beer batter.

Fire Me Boy!
11-05-2014, 03:48 PM

Something we agree on. :)

I've never done an actual batter.

saphojunkie
11-05-2014, 04:16 PM
You should try making hot chicken. I'm headed to Nashville in a couple weeks, and can't wait to get to Prince's.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/u9ztecYHFwU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Stewie
11-05-2014, 04:20 PM
I fry chicken like my mom taught me. Shortening, not oil. Warm it up to melt it on medium heat. Dip in flour and then place in the skillet. Generously sprinkle paprika and then add salt and pepper. That's it but my mom's fried chicken will stand up to any other I've ever had.

Yep. Shortening is the key to great fried chicken. Oil leaves things greasy with a skin that's not crisp.

Dayze
11-05-2014, 04:23 PM
:hmmm:

Stewie
11-05-2014, 05:14 PM
BTW. It's 2014. There are no trans fats in Crisco's All Vegetable Shortening.

If you like KFC Original Recipe here's the recipe.

1 frying chicken cut into 8 pieces

Brine
8 cups water
1/3 cup salt
1 tablespoon MSG

4 cups shortening

Breading

9 ounces all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon MSG (monosodium glutamate)
2 teaspoons granulated sugar
2 teaspoons ground tellicherry pepper
1/2 teaspoon ground white pepper
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1/2 teaspoon ground savory
1/2 teaspoon ground sage
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon ground marjoram
1/4 teaspoon onion powder
1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
1/8 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper

Dredge
4 eggs
2 cups skim milk

1. Dissolve 1/3 cup salt and 1 tablespoon MSG in 8 cups water. Add chicken and marinate for 2 hours. Remove chicken from brine, rinse with water and blot dry.
2. Heat shortening in cast iron skillet to 350° F.
3. Make the breading by combining all dry ingredients in a large bowl.
4. In a separate bowl, beat the eggs and then stir in the milk.
5. When the oil is hot, dip each piece of chicken in the egg and milk mixture and then press into the breading. Toss each chicken piece in the breading until well-coated, let chicken sit for 2 minutes in the breading, shake off the excess breading and fry 8 to 10 minutes per side or until the chicken is golden brown. Drain chicken on a rack for at least 5 minutes before serving.

If you want to keep the chicken warm until it's all cooked, place the fried pieces on a rack on a baking sheet and keep them in your oven set to 200° F.

stevieray
11-05-2014, 05:19 PM

yup, that crap gets old...maybe it's because he was losing his hair, now that he shaves his head, maybe it wiil be better...:)

Fire Me Boy!
11-05-2014, 05:41 PM
yup, that crap gets old...maybe it's because he was losing his hair, now that he shaves his head, maybe it wiil be better...:)

While I will admit to being an unabashed food snob, my intent has never been to be condescending. I'm sure there is some truth to me coming off as arrogant, but it is also not an intended effect. I come into these food threads because I'm interested and feel I can contribute. I sometimes forget smilies when I'm joking, which obviously doesn't help the intent of my message. I'll try to do better.

Stewie
11-05-2014, 05:43 PM

+1

I have no idea how someone claims culinary expertise yet has such a narrow palate. He hates as many foods as my little six-year old niece.

Fire Me Boy!
11-05-2014, 05:47 PM
+1

I have no idea how someone claims culinary expertise yet has such a narrow palate. He hates as many foods as my little six-year old niece.

Wow. That's kind of out of left field. While I am picky in what I like, I am very adventurous in trying just about anything, even things I've previous not enjoyed.

Am no longer welcome 'round these parts? Finding out a lot of you are apparently tired of me lately.

Fire Me Boy!
11-05-2014, 05:50 PM
+1

And I'm not sure how "expertise" has any effect on what my personal tastes are. Just because I don't eat cheddar cheese doesn't mean I can't cook with it.

Dayze
11-06-2014, 09:04 PM
You should try making hot chicken. I'm headed to Nashville in a couple weeks, and can't wait to get to Prince's.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/u9ztecYHFwU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

We expect a full report. A video would be nice
:D

Buehler445
11-06-2014, 11:12 PM
I'm not sure I'm good for super hot chicken.

As far as the OP, ask my wife to cook it:). My wife kicks ass.

Baby Lee
11-06-2014, 11:18 PM

Heh, that's the place Seinfeld got flack for joking about how out of place he looked eating at.

Tried to be self-deprecating about how odd he must have looked stopping in wearing a suit and tie on a Saturday night, and folks got TURNT!!

Just Passin' By
11-07-2014, 01:32 AM
Wow. That's kind of out of left field. While I am picky in what I like, I am very adventurous in trying just about anything, even things I've previous not enjoyed.

Am no longer welcome 'round these parts? Finding out a lot of you are apparently tired of me lately.

Stick around. Keep posting.

Just Passin' By
11-07-2014, 01:33 AM

Double dredge.

First dredge with your seasoned flour mixture

Second dredge with panko crumbs

Fire Me Boy!
11-07-2014, 05:13 AM
Double dredge.

First dredge with your seasoned flour mixture

Second dredge with panko crumbs

I've never made fried chicken with Panko (except like chicken parm style). Does the Panko not burn before the chicken is cooked through?

Graystoke
11-07-2014, 08:35 AM

I like your take on Food.
Keep posting.
Always a new tip or trick to learn

Dayze
11-07-2014, 08:39 AM
I decided to do a brine overnight, then tomorrow mid-morning, switch over to let the chicken sit in buttermilk for a while.

Debating on going with straight dredge / flour, or using a slurry etc.

Fire Me Boy!
11-07-2014, 08:48 AM
I decided to do a brine overnight, then tomorrow mid-morning, switch over to let the chicken sit in buttermilk for a while.

Debating on going with straight dredge / flour, or using a slurry etc.

I'd go for the dredge.

From your buttermilk marinade to seasoned flour, back to buttermilk, back to flour, into the fryer.

*plink* *plink*

Dayze
11-07-2014, 08:50 AM
That's probably the way I'm leaning. Don't know if I have the balls to try a slurry right out of the gate.

Fire Me Boy!
11-07-2014, 08:51 AM
That's probably the way I'm leaning. Don't know if I have the balls to try a slurry right out of the gate.

I've never done a slurry for fried chicken. What's it do, more like a batter?

Dayze
11-07-2014, 08:59 AM
well, from my extensive 10 minutes of reading about it last night (lol), I 'think' it's a little more thick than a batter and uses corn starch for extra crispness. the few recipes I saw, the slurry looked almost more like a paste (if that's the right word), than goopy like a batter.

Just Passin' By
11-07-2014, 10:28 AM
I've never made fried chicken with Panko (except like chicken parm style). Does the Panko not burn before the chicken is cooked through?

A lot of people use the panko with cutlets or so-called tenders, instead of the full cut up chicken. I've never had a problem with the full pieces, since I just stay close by and keep a good eye on things, but I can't promise others won't.

Also, I've got the system down pretty well, and you can convert to baking it and still get very crispy chicken. In recent months, I've become a big fan of using panko in the kitchen.

Fire Me Boy!
11-07-2014, 10:39 AM
A lot of people use the panko with cutlets or so-called tenders, instead of the full cut up chicken. I've never had a problem with the full pieces, since I just stay close by and keep a good eye on things, but I can't promise others won't.

Also, I've got the system down pretty well, and you can convert to baking it and still get very crispy chicken. In recent months, I've become a big fan of using panko in the kitchen.

Oh, I love panko, and as I mentioned I use it on cutlets whenever I do chicken parm. I just figured it'd burn on whole pieces of chicken.

So do you fry to get the panko browned and then go in the oven to finish, or are you doing oven-fried chicken?

Just Passin' By
11-07-2014, 10:57 AM
Oh, I love panko, and as I mentioned I use it on cutlets whenever I do chicken parm. I just figured it'd burn on whole pieces of chicken.

So do you fry to get the panko browned and then go in the oven to finish, or are you doing oven-fried chicken?

I do a lot of oven fried chicken, but I also oil fry in the skillet. I don't have to take the chicken out to finish in the oven, but I can, which is why I mentioned that.

srvy
11-07-2014, 12:38 PM

This sounds like Stroud's Chicken in KC.

I remember once a local TV station did a live feed there. She asked the master frier what Strouds secret recipe was. He said they really dont have any secrets. Just salt pepper flour fresh chicken. Coat in a egg wash dredge eggs wash and dredge again. Hot oil in pan and fry till golden brown and crispy. He did stress fry dont dunk so never deep fried. My Mom a farm gal never used egg wash just rinse chicken in water pat dry coat in flour fry so I do this tastes fine to me. She always used flour salt paprika.

Dayze
11-07-2014, 12:46 PM
anyone think a brine overnight, then a soak in butter milk for a few hours tomorrow is overkill?

should I skip the brine altogether?

srvy
11-07-2014, 12:49 PM
anyone think a brine overnight, then a soak in butter milk for a few hours tomorrow is overkill?

Sounds like fussin to much over a silly chicken to me. Cut it up and fry that Sum Beetch.

ptlyon
11-07-2014, 12:50 PM
I don't think it will hurt it. I'm sold on brining. If you don't like it this time around try something different next time I say.

Dayze
11-07-2014, 12:53 PM
troof. plus, brine is simple to do anyway; water, salt, some sugar, and I'll probably put in a few crushed garlic coves, bay leaf, and some thyme sprigs.

Excited to give this a try. i seriously can't believe i've never cooked fried chicken before. wtf ...

ptlyon
11-07-2014, 12:56 PM
I've only fried chicken a couple of times myself, mostly because of the non desire to do the cleanup.

Report back and let us know how it goes! :thumb:

Dayze
11-07-2014, 12:58 PM
yeah, I've never experienced the clean up phase, so we'll see how not-awesome that is.

ptlyon
11-07-2014, 01:02 PM
yeah, I've never experienced the clean up phase, so we'll see how not-awesome that is.

You got a wife don't ya? ;)

KCUnited
11-07-2014, 01:02 PM

If you're brining chicken parts, overnight might be a bit much. You don't want it to come out too salty. I'll go overnight for whole chickens, but you really only need around 4 hours for bone-in chicken parts.

Dayze
11-07-2014, 01:07 PM
cool; thanks.
I might do a few hours in each tomorrow then instead.

Fire Me Boy!
11-07-2014, 01:11 PM

I think I'd skip. Here's the only thing that would concern me...

The is a solution of sugar/salt/water... that solution wants equilibrium in the environment, so when you put chicken in the brine, it wants to stabilize the outside-the-chicken environment with the inside-the-chicken environment.

The salt solution passes through the permeable meat cells during the soaking process using the method of osmosis. Osmosis is the diffusion of water through a semi-permeable membrane – in this case the meat cells. Through diffusion, the salt and water within the meat cells balance with the salt and water in the surrounding brine which results in a higher concentration of salt and water in the meat. Food chemists disagree about the mechanics of this diffusion and how salt travels across membranes, but at the end of the day, the diffusion results in more water and flavor within the cells of the meat.

So if you brine, and then do a buttermilk soak, will that kind of reverse so that it pulls the brine out to get equilibrium with the buttermilk?

Dayze
11-07-2014, 01:12 PM
that makes sense to me.

ModSocks
11-07-2014, 01:13 PM
heh.

I didn't notice this thread, but i made some Country Fried Chicken last night with Mashed Potatoes and Biscuits. Slathered everything in white country style gravy.....mmmmmmm.....

Fire Me Boy!
11-07-2014, 01:15 PM
that makes sense to me.

I really don't know, that's why I posed the question. My sense says no, because it's the salt that's doing work modifying the protein structure in the brine, but it's the acid in the buttermilk that's doing the work. So is the buttermilk actually adding to the cell structure? I doubt it.

But then it begs the question, would both over-tenderize the meat? :shrug:

Dayze
11-07-2014, 01:18 PM
once thing I've experienced in the past is I think (just personally think), that sometimes something can get 'too' tender if that makes any sense - in terms of changing the texture of meats.

I've had chicken before that almost had a texture of a ham or something. hard to explain, but the texture didn't feel like chicken any longer. weird.

Fire Me Boy!
11-07-2014, 01:20 PM
once thing I've experienced in the past is I think (just personally think), that sometimes something can get 'too' tender if that makes any sense - in terms of changing the texture of meats.

I've had chicken before that almost had a texture of a ham or something. hard to explain, but the texture didn't feel like chicken any longer. weird.

No, I totally know what you mean. That's why I brought it up.

With sous vide, for instance, given enough time you can effectively pasteurize anything at fairly low temps. I've tried medium rare chicken (cooked at 130 for several hours), and the texture was .... off-putting.

Dayze
11-07-2014, 01:22 PM
ok good; then I'm not losing my mind. I've tried to explain it to friends, and I couldn't really describe it well enough for them to understand.

dirk digler
11-07-2014, 01:47 PM

What is your recommended\estimated cook time?

Archie F. Swin
11-07-2014, 01:50 PM
http://www.houstononthecheap.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/popeyes-BoxOfChicken.png

ptlyon
11-07-2014, 01:57 PM
One thing is for sure, don't marinate steak in a citrus based marinade for too long. Will break down the proteins and make the steak not a steak

Dayze
11-07-2014, 01:58 PM
yeah. I made that mistake many years ago thinking that all marinades were created equal, and that all marinades made everything tender.

Fire Me Boy!
11-07-2014, 01:59 PM
One thing is for sure, don't marinate steak in a citrus based marinade for too long. Will break down the proteins and make the steak not a steak

That's very true. It's the acid, makes steak mushy.

Fire Me Boy!
11-07-2014, 02:01 PM

In all, maybe 15-20 minutes, depending on size (give or take). Not really sure, I don't do it often enough. That's why I keep an instant-read thermometer handy.

ptlyon
11-07-2014, 02:25 PM
yeah. I made that mistake many years ago thinking that all marinades were created equal, and that all marinades made everything tender.

Same mistake here. And as far as the question of how long to Brine, the recipe I found and use says '4 hours for bone in pieces and 4 hours to overnight for whole chickens', so as someone else said, overnight may be too much.

dirk digler
11-07-2014, 02:27 PM
In all, maybe 15-20 minutes, depending on size (give or take). Not really sure, I don't do it often enough. That's why I keep an instant-read thermometer handy.

Thanks. I need to get a good instant-read thermometer, I have a cheapo one.

Scorp
11-07-2014, 02:27 PM
My small contribution: For the Crispiest Crust EVER!

Dip Chicken in flour mixture with seasoning
Dip Chicken in egg wash
Dip Chicken In PANKO BREAD CRUMBS

Fire Me Boy!
11-07-2014, 02:31 PM
Thanks. I need to get a good instant-read thermometer, I have a cheapo one.

Get thee to Thermoworks (http://www.thermoworks.com/products/thermapen/). :)

Easy 6
11-07-2014, 02:34 PM
This sounds like Stroud's Chicken in KC.

I remember once a local TV station did a live feed there. She asked the master frier what Strouds secret recipe was. He said they really dont have any secrets. Just salt pepper flour fresh chicken. Coat in a egg wash dredge eggs wash and dredge again. Hot oil in pan and fry till golden brown and crispy. He did stress fry dont dunk so never deep fried. My Mom a farm gal never used egg wash just rinse chicken in water pat dry coat in flour fry so I do this tastes fine to me. She always used flour salt paprika.

Paprika is sooo good with fried chicken, I wont make fried chicken without it.

Fire Me Boy!
11-07-2014, 02:37 PM
Paprika is sooo good with fried chicken, I wont make fried chicken without it.

Agreed. And cayenne for kick. :)

I also like garlic and onion powder.

Easy 6
11-07-2014, 02:43 PM

Definitely, but I go kinda easy on the onion powder... stuffs pretty strong.

Coogs
11-07-2014, 02:54 PM

I fry chicken quite a bit. Electric skillet for me. I flip the chicken 1 time at about the 25-30 minute mark... give or take a bit. I lift up a piece to see if it is the crispyness I am looking for. Then I go for 15-20 minutes on the reverse side... again giving 1 piece the eyeball test for crispyness.

My pre-fry routine is putting the chicken pieces in a bowl of water only for a couple of hours before frying. I put 2 or 3 cups of flour into a one gallon baggie. I put in 2 or 3 pieces of chicken, and close up the baggie. Shake it up for a bit. Put the pieces of chicken into the preheated electric skillet. Salt and pepper to taste in the skillet. Oil is probably a 1/4 inch deep or so to begin with.

Chicken is very moist. Tastes great too!

Pablo
11-07-2014, 02:56 PM
My wife made some fried chicken the other night and it was dreadfully under-seasoned.

What's the proper ratio of spices to flour?

She put in paprika, garlic powder, salt and pepper to my knowledge.

Fire Me Boy!
11-07-2014, 02:58 PM
I fry chicken quite a bit. Electric skillet for me. I flip the chicken 1 time at about the 25-30 minute mark... give or take a bit. I lift up a piece to see if it is the crispyness I am looking for. Then I go for 15-20 minutes on the reverse side... again giving 1 piece the eyeball test for crispyness.

My pre-fry routine is putting the chicken pieces in a bowl of water only for a couple of hours before frying. I put 2 or 3 cups of flour into a one gallon baggie. I put in 2 or 3 pieces of chicken, and close up the baggie. Shake it up for a bit. Put the pieces of chicken into the preheated electric skillet. Salt and pepper to taste in the skillet. Oil is probably a 1/4 inch deep or so to begin with.

Chicken is very moist. Tastes great too!

40-50 minutes? Are you cooking Foghorn Leghorn?!?!

http://img2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20110524113214/looneytunesshow/images/thumb/1/1a/Fish_Visitors_Grab_7.jpg/300px-Fish_Visitors_Grab_7.jpg

Now seriously, maybe the electric skillet makes a difference? I would think in a cast iron skillet that would decimate the chicken.

Fire Me Boy!
11-07-2014, 03:03 PM
My wife made some fried chicken the other night and it was dreadfully under-seasoned.

So this (I think) is a funny story.

A few years ago I had the pleasure of eating at "Mama's" in Baton Rouge. Mama - a little ol' black lady - used to own a couple restaurants in BR, but when the block owners raised rates around LSU, she packed up and now caters by appointment only out of her house.

So three friends and I set up a dinner. It's us four on a fold-out card table in this woman's front room, with a few 2-liter sodas, and she comes in with an insane amount of the best fried chicken I've ever had - the closest "store" fried chicken I've had was Gus' Famous Fried Chicken in Memphis, and it's not really that close to Mama's.

Now a year or so later, Mama releases a cookbook, which she signs and mails to me and my three dinner companions. I get it and the first thing I do is go to her fried chicken recipe, which goes something like this: 8 chickens, flour, salt, pepper, seasoning.

So I see Mama earlier this year, and we're all harassing her for her "cookbook" with no ingredients and amounts, and we want the details. Her response, "Oh, you know ... it's just fried chicken, so you take the chicken, the normal amounts of seasoning. And love. Don't forget the love, child!"

Dayze
11-07-2014, 03:04 PM

my wife is scared to death of seasoning. i'll watch her cook something, and 'season it'.....I have to remind her that it takes alot more than that.

of course, she can't cook though. she can bake very well. cooking?.....not so much.

Coogs
11-07-2014, 03:13 PM
40-50 minutes? Are you cooking Foghorn Leghorn?!?!

http://img2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20110524113214/looneytunesshow/images/thumb/1/1a/Fish_Visitors_Grab_7.jpg/300px-Fish_Visitors_Grab_7.jpg

Now seriously, maybe the electric skillet makes a difference? I would think in a cast iron skillet that would decimate the chicken.

Don't know if it's foghorn or not? :shrug:

It's whatever the local grocery store has in the cooler. I just know it is damn good chicken when it is done. Very moist, and crispy too! :thumb:

GloucesterChief
11-07-2014, 03:52 PM

No need for cayenne if you get some real hot Hungarian papirka.

My grandparents have the hookup through the Catholic church.....

MahiMike
11-07-2014, 05:33 PM
Fried pickles are tasty.

Pablo
11-08-2014, 07:27 AM
So this (I think) is a funny story.

A few years ago I had the pleasure of eating at "Mama's" in Baton Rouge. Mama - a little ol' black lady - used to own a couple restaurants in BR, but when the block owners raised rates around LSU, she packed up and now caters by appointment only out of her house.

So three friends and I set up a dinner. It's us four on a fold-out card table in this woman's front room, with a few 2-liter sodas, and she comes in with an insane amount of the best fried chicken I've ever had - the closest "store" fried chicken I've had was Gus' Famous Fried Chicken in Memphis, and it's not really that close to Mama's.

Now a year or so later, Mama releases a cookbook, which she signs and mails to me and my three dinner companions. I get it and the first thing I do is go to her fried chicken recipe, which goes something like this: 8 chickens, flour, salt, pepper, seasoning.

So I see Mama earlier this year, and we're all harassing her for her "cookbook" with no ingredients and amounts, and we want the details. Her response, "Oh, you know ... it's just fried chicken, so you take the chicken, the normal amounts of seasoning. And love. Don't forget the love, child!"LMAO

I'll tell her to put some more love into it. We'll see if I get slapped or not.

KCUnited
11-08-2014, 07:34 AM
Best Thing I've Ever Ate - Fried Chicken is on Food Network right now.

Fire Me Boy!
11-08-2014, 07:47 AM
LMAO

I'll tell her to put some more love into it. We'll see if I get slapped or not.

Shoot, I forgot the best part of the story! The first dinner I paid for out of my work account. When the guy at BR set up the appointment, I hear him tell her he's going to need a REAL receipt this time. When he hangs up he says, "I usually pay Mama in cognac."