PDA

View Full Version : Football Marcus Lattimore informs 49ers he intends to retire

thabear04
11-05-2014, 02:57 PM
Marcus Lattimore informs 49ers he intends to retire

One of the most promising running back prospects of the past decade is hanging up his spikes before ever carrying the ball in an NFL game.

Four years after the first of two gruesome knee injuries suffered at South Carolina, Marcus Lattimore had begun weighing his career options, NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport reported over the weekend.

The San Francisco 49ers announced Wednesday that Lattimore will indeed retire.

"After prayer and careful consideration, I have decided it's time to end my professional football career," Lattimore said. "I have given my heart and soul to the game that I love, and it's time for me to move on to the next chapter of my life and help others. I have given every ounce of my energy toward making a full recovery from my knee injury, and I have made a lot of progress. Unfortunately, getting my knee fully back to the level the NFL demands has proven to be insurmountable."

Compared to Hall of Famer Earl Campbell as a dynamic freshman power back, Lattimore was once regarded as the best backfield prospect since Adrian Peterson was breaking records at Oklahoma. Even after a second devastating knee injury ended his college career prematurely, 49ers coach Jim Harbaugh though highly enough of Lattimore to proclaim the fourth-round pick the biggest steal of the 2013 NFL Draft.

"This was a very difficult decision for Marcus and it was clear after speaking with him that he had put a lot of thought into it," general manager Trent Baalke said in statement released by the team. "He is a high-character young man who has done everything asked of him and more during his time with us and we have a great deal of respect for the strength and commitment he showed throughout the rehab process. It has been a pleasure to have Marcus as a member of our team and our community and we are confident that he will be very successful in whichever path he chooses to take in life. We look forward to supporting Marcus and wish him nothing but the best."

Per Rapoport, the 49ers paid Lattimore's full $825,000 salary during two years on the non-football injury list. The organization will not seek repayment of his $300,584 signing bonus. Additionally, Lattimore has a $1.7 million policy which he stands a good chance of collecting.

Asked Wednesday if the 49ers received a good return on their investment in Lattimore, Harbaugh replied, "Yes. There's a trusting, lasting friendship there."

Cut down at the peak of his powers, a frank and introspective Lattimore is "sincerely disappointed" that his football career must end.

Citing a "trust that God has a great plan" for his future, Lattimore plans to re-enroll at South Carolina, where he is a few classes short of graduation. Once determined to shock the world with a return to the gridiron, Lattimore's will now concentrate on building his foundation, which is dedicated to youth programs in South Carolina.

Direckshun
11-05-2014, 02:58 PM
Nature of the NFL.

God bless him, hopefully he finds a good backup plan somewhere. I too thought he was very talented.

Beef Supreme
11-05-2014, 03:00 PM
I would be a trusting lasting friend to Harbaugh for $825,000.

KCUnited
11-05-2014, 03:01 PM
Guy had a cup of Coffee in the NFL.

Dayze
11-05-2014, 03:02 PM
I remember seeing that 2nd injury live when he was in college. Wicked injury.

In58men
11-05-2014, 03:02 PM
All he was KNEEding was some encouragement

alpha_omega
11-05-2014, 03:03 PM
Too bad for him...I was hoping he would make it.

Dayze
11-05-2014, 03:03 PM
I would be a trusting lasting friend to Harbaugh for $825,000.
Not as much as I would for $800k. I'd even iron his khaki pleats.

Direckshun
11-05-2014, 03:05 PM
I would be his friend for $100k.

But I am a cheap whore.

And yes, I'm suggesting I'd sleep with him.

Frosty
11-05-2014, 03:06 PM
On one hand, I feel bad for the kid. On the other, fuck the 49ers.

Mr. Flopnuts
11-05-2014, 03:09 PM
I would be his friend for $100k.

But I am a cheap whore.

And yes, I'm suggesting I'd sleep with him.

Like mother like son. :shake:

Mr. Laz
11-05-2014, 03:12 PM
can't afford to take a single snap in the NFL and lose that 1.7 million

Direckshun
11-05-2014, 03:14 PM
Like mother like son. :shake:

My mother ain't cheap, my friend. My mother ain't cheap.

Direckshun
11-05-2014, 03:14 PM
can't afford to take a single snap in the NFL and lose that 1.7 million

That is kind of a perverse incentive.

Oh well. The NFL fucks its players over so badly, they deserve to get a small-time raping from a never-was.

thabear04
11-05-2014, 03:35 PM
Was this one of the picks for Alex Smith.

Mr. Flopnuts
11-05-2014, 03:40 PM

http://weknowmemes.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/watch-out-we-got-a-badass-over-here-meme.png

ModSocks
11-05-2014, 03:41 PM
He probably got paid just enough to cover his medical expenses.

Nightfyre
11-05-2014, 04:38 PM
I thought he would make it, if anyone could recover from that injury.

OldSchool
11-05-2014, 07:04 PM
Tough luck. He was a damn good RB prospect that few could tackle head-on due to his power and physicality; unfortunately, that physical dominance led to defenders diving at his legs and ending his career.

Gonzo
11-05-2014, 08:22 PM

I beg to differ my friend.
Floppy and I eiffel-towered her two weeks ago for fifty bucks and a case of natty light.

She was all like, "you guys are CP mods? Please don't ban my son. NOM-NOM-NOM."

Why Not?
11-05-2014, 09:18 PM
Basically 2.5 mil for not having to play a down. Not a bad gig. Best of luck to himocing forward. Smart to take out that insurance policy

TimeForWasp
11-05-2014, 09:39 PM
He retired to get off that god forsaken team. He will have a miraculous recovery and resign with some team.

Kaepernick
11-05-2014, 10:05 PM
Was this one of the picks for Alex Smith.

Nope, he wasn't.

http://www.49ers.com/news/blog/article-2/Niners-Daily-49ers-Get-Five-Players-From-Alex-Smith-Trade/b2a5c95b-4840-4cd3-a21c-2b3327e24324

ThaVirus
11-05-2014, 10:09 PM
Floppy and I eiffel-towered her two weeks ago for fifty bucks and a case of natty light.

ROFL

Direckshun
11-05-2014, 10:17 PM

Sounds like you guys got the #3. Everybody knows that's on the value menu.

Mav
11-06-2014, 04:45 AM

WINNING!

Nightfyre
11-06-2014, 11:33 AM
Sounds like you guys got the #3. Everybody knows that's on the value menu.

I honestly didn't think there was any bouncing back from Gonzo's smack, but this is some quality shit right here.