PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Phillip Gaines: from getting burned to bringing heat.

Direckshun
11-06-2014, 05:44 AM
Gaines deserves his own thread for his radical turnaround, now that articles are starting to stack up about him.

http://www.foxsports.com/kansas-city/story/chiefs-cb-gaines-has-gone-from-getting-burned-to-bringing-serious-heat-110414

Chiefs CB Gaines has gone from getting burned to bringing serious heat
Sean Keeler
NOV 04, 2014 4:47p ET

KANSAS CITY, Mo. -- No curve, no mercy, no excuses. Phillip Gaines got grilled like a kielbasa at Lambeau Field, burned so badly by Green Bay's clipboard holders that they could smell the Kansas City Chiefs' rookie cornerback all the way in Fond du Lac.

"Oh, F," Gaines said when asked to grade himself on the night of Aug. 28, the Chiefs' preseason swan song. "I mean, yeah."

Went after you, didn't they?

"I would've went after me, too, (given) how I was playing in that game," Gaines said.

"Unfortunately, that's the life of a defensive back: Sometimes, you get burned up. But you can't let it hold you back; (you) just always have to get better. If not, then they're always going to come after you."

Here's the cool thing: Now they're starting to think twice.

With cornerback Jamell Fleming scratched because of hamstring issues, Gaines made his second NFL start last Sunday against the New York Jets and more than held his own, recording four tackles and a stop for a loss as the Andy Gang churned out a methodical, businesslike 24-10 victory.

"Every game he's getting in, he's understanding the game a lot more," veteran Chiefs safety Kurt Coleman said of Gaines. "And he's been able to make big plays, which gives a young guy like that a lot of confidence moving forward.

"And I think it's very crucial, because in this game, especially at defensive back, there (are) a lot of things weighing against you. But I think if you're able to make more plays, you understand (that), 'Even if I give up one play, I can make that next play.'"

After an August of growing pains and more than a month of apprenticeship on special teams -- Gaines has shined, at times, as a gunner -- injuries across the secondary forced the coaching staff to push the rookie out of Rice a little farther into the deep end of the pool than they'd intended to before Halloween.

And yet all parties have managed to keep their respective heads above the water so far: ProFootballFocus.com gives the third-round draft pick a cumulative plus-0.3 grade through the first half of his rookie season for his efforts, with a plus-2.5 on special teams.

In fact, Gaines hits Week 10 with the third-highest overall PFF grade among Kansas City defensive backs, trailing only cornerback Sean Smith (plus-6.4) and safety Husain Abdullah (plus-4.3) as of early Tuesday afternoon. Even more interesting: The ex-Owl speedster's first 144 snaps in the NFL compare pretty favorably with his more ballyhooed rookie peers such as Denver's Bradley Roby (minus-1.4 after his first 186 snaps) and San Diego's Jason Verrett (plus-2.9 after his first 112).

"That's one thing that coach (Andy) Reid harps on most in practice," Gaines said, "(is that) football is an unforgiving game, so anybody can get hurt on any play. So when you're in practice, whether you're in or you're just watching, you have to take mental reps -- you have to know what you're going to do, so when that time does come, you have to come in and perform. You can't just come in and not do your job."

Gaines' 144 snaps through the Chiefs' first eight games are nearly three times that of first-round selection Dee Ford -- who's playing behind the scorching-hot outside linebacker tandem of Justin Houston and Tamba Hali -- with all but three of those coming in the last three tilts since the bye week.

"I think one of the biggest plays that was a turning event for me was (covering) the Miami punt," Gaines said of the Chiefs' Week 3 win, during which the rookie recorded two crucial stops on speedy Dolphins return man Jarvis Landry. "That was like my first real tackle in the NFL and it just felt good to be out there and making plays, you know? And once I did that, again, my confidence went up, and that's just how it goes."

The snowball picks up steam, and before long, everybody starts rolling. A defensive backfield that's been without Pro Bowl safety Eric Berry for most of the season heads into Buffalo leading the NFL in fewest passing yards allowed per game (199.4) and second in points allowed (17.2).

"The Green Bay game was a little rough on (Gaines)," Reid told reporters earlier this week. "I think he grew up in that game. He learned some things there in the preseason and that focused him in even more than what he might've been before."

Reid and defensive coordinator Bob Sutton trust No. 23. And, more important, No. 23 trusts himself.

"Again, I'll go back to confidence," Gaines said. "Coming into the league, you see (that) you're in the NFL now. You're like, 'All right, how am I going to do this? What am I going to do right here?'

"And you're just thinking too much instead of just playing football. So now that I'm getting more play and just (meshing) with the team better, it's just allowing me to play and not worry about where I'm supposed to be and all this stuff."

No curve, no mercy, no excuses. No turning back, either.

TimBone
11-06-2014, 05:46 AM
D, do you ever sleep?

Direckshun
11-06-2014, 06:13 AM
This is a super great piece. Click through to see a couple charts about how Gaines has been eased into the role.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2258025-phillip-gaines-embodiment-of-chiefs-front-office-and-coaching-staff-partnership

Phillip Gaines Embodiment of Chiefs' Front Office and Coaching Staff Partnership
By Christopher Hansen
Nov 4, 2014

Under the leadership of general manager John Dorsey and head coach Andy Reid, the Kansas City Chiefs are 16-8. That’s tied for the sixth-best mark in the league over the last two seasons after being the sixth-worst team from 2009-2012 under former general manager Scott Pioli.

Chairman and CEO Clark Hunt made a fundamental and unconventional change when he hired Reid and his friend Dorsey to run the football side of his organization. Both Reid and Dorsey would both report directly to him. In effect, Hunt split coaching and football operations into two equally important units and asked that they work together.

So far, the change has had a profoundly positive impact on the performance of the football team. A young player like rookie cornerback Phillip Gaines is shining example of the partnership in action. Dorsey picks the players and Reid decides when they are ready to play.

“When as the general manager, you have a relationship with a head coach and have the same philosophical beliefs … ” Dorsey said after being selected as the 2013 NFL executive of the year by the Pro Football Writers of America in January, via Randy Covitz of The Kansas City Star. “We both into work day in and day out. We’re willing to put our egos aside, roll up our sleeves and go to work.”

In this case, Dorsey drafted Gaines with a third-round pick in the 2014 NFL draft, knowing that the former Rice standout had starter skills and size but also that he needed to work on his technique. At 6’0” and 193 pounds, Gaines ran the 40-yard dash in 4.38 seconds, the three-cone drill in 6.62 seconds and the short shuttle in 4.04 seconds.

Dorsey wasn’t just rolling the dice on Gaines’ athletic ability when he selected him, but he did need the coaching staff to develop his raw talent. Therefore, Reid and his staff deserve a lot of the credit for bringing Gaines along, especially after a rocky preseason that included a torching by the Green Bay Packers.

Gaines allowed five receptions on five targets for 77 yards and a touchdown to Packers wide receivers Jeff Janis, Alex Gillett, Myles White, Michael Hill and Devante Adams per Pro Football Focus (subscription required). Cornerback is generally one of the tougher positions for young players to play in the NFL, so the Chiefs also had to believe that Gaines had the type of mental toughness and work ethic required to be successful.

Gaines’ character was in question coming out of college because he tested positive for marijuana twice. He was also arrested for possession of marijuana in April 2011. Director of player personnel Chris Ballard shrugged off those concerns after talking with his college and high school coaches.

“They all vouch for this kid,” Ballard said in May via Terez A. Paylor of The Kansas City Star. “I’ve been doing this a long time, especially in that area, and absolutely have tremendous faith in the kid and who he is as a person.”

Of course, the Chiefs didn’t just like him as a person. Dorsey said in May why he liked Gaines’ college tape, but acknowledged that he needed to work on his technique.

“In college, they only had the 20-hour rule,” Dorsey said via Paylor. “Therefore, you are not going to be as technically sound...as you would in professional football. I still see a higher ceiling than most.”

Dorsey and Ballard now look very smart for drafting Gaines. They can thank Reid and his staff for putting the young corner in a position to succeed instead of rushing him to start Week 1.

It was due to Gaines’ development that he got his first start in Week 9 in place of the ineffective Marcus Cooper. The Chiefs didn’t rush Gaines into the lineup, despite Cooper’s struggles and injuries, although they certainly created an opportunity.

Until Week 7, Gaines had played primarily on special teams where he proved to be one of the best gunners in the league. It was his work there, and Cooper’s poor play, that led to him getting an opportunity to start.

“Special teams was great for him,” Reid said via Paylor. “You hear about special teams, and what it does, it teaches leverage, it teaches angles, it keeps you in open space with speed so you learn to work angles and close on people.

“That transfers over for secondary players and linebackers. If they can handle the special teams, then they can handle the defense. He’s done a nice job.”

While still a small sample size, Gaines has actually done a very nice job. According to Pro Football Focus, the rookie has allowed a reception every 11.6 snaps in coverage and 0.35 yards-per-coverage snap, despite being targeted every 5.8 coverage snaps.

To put that in perspective, Sean Smith has been targeted every 11.4 snaps in coverage and the league-leaders in yards-per-cover snap are Chris Harris Jr. and Jimmy Smith at just 0.57. The stats suggest Gaines is doing just fine since having his role expanded.

Gaines is also versatile, having lined up at safety and in the slot for the Chiefs already this season to go with his work on special teams. Versatility in the secondary enables defensive coordinator Bob Sutton to play mind games with opposing quarterbacks.

While Gaines will still have some rookie struggles at an often thankless position, the Chiefs look to have found at worst a solid starter with undeniable talent. It’s now clear that the partnership between Reid and Dorsey will continue to yield dividends that should set up the Chiefs for sustained success.

Direckshun
11-06-2014, 06:27 AM
http://www.arrowheadpride.com/2014/11/5/7160051/phillip-gaines-kansas-city-chiefs-best-rookie

A case for Phillip Gaines as the Kansas City Chiefs best rookie
If I told you a rookie was the most versatile player on the field last Sunday, would you believe me?
By Craig Stout
on Nov 5 2014, 10:29a

No? Let me make you a believer.

It's no secret that the Kansas City Chiefs secondary has been thin for the past couple weeks. Add to that the apparent demotion of Week 1 starter Marcus Cooper, and it's a wonder the Chiefs are in the top half of the league in pass defense, let alone ranked No. 1. Defensive coordinator Bob Sutton has dialed up lots of different looks with many different players, and it's paid major dividends thus far. None more so than the performance that he got out of Phillip Gaines this past Sunday against the New York Jets.

When PG-23 (c'mon, get on board) was drafted in the third round this offseason, many draft experts called it a coup for the Chiefs. A long, quick corner that could eventually inherit a slot corner role, he started the season mostly as a gunner on Special Teams. He definitely wowed the fans and coaches alike with his speed and awareness, making several key tackles, and also several spectacular downed punts. When Cooper was unceremoniously benched and starting nickel corner Chris Owens went out with an injury, Gaines finally saw more time running with the first team defense. This week, with Jamell Fleming injured (seriously, DEPTH), it was PG-23's time to shine...and boy did he ever.

It's no secret that Sutton likes versatile players, and he's not afraid to ask a young or inexperienced player to step out and fill multiple roles on a given gameday. This past Sunday was quite the story, though. In Gaines' time on the field on Sunday, he played nickel/slot CB 65% of the time and outside LCB/RCB 28 percent of the time. Some of you quick math wizards out there might have figured out that's not quite 100%. That's because the other 7 percent of the time, my boy PG-23 was playing safety.

http://cdn3.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/dc0cEUHF42RSJearq0tLQTwLVCE=/700x0/filters:no_upscale()/cdn2.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_asset/file/2427772/P2_-_FS.0.JPG

Oh yes, that IS a Cover Two look with Parker in the box and Berry/Gaines splitting the deep part of the field. But that's not all...

http://cdn2.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/4X92LbP_EouBzvalCZGZK7v8orY=/700x0/filters:no_upscale()/cdn1.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_asset/file/2427784/P2_-_TE.0.JPG

...he also played as an in the box safety, matched up against a tight end. And that wasn't the only time he covered a tight end this week. He was responsible for man coverage against a tight end for six of the 39 passing plays attempted by the Jets, as well as another two against the Jets running backs.

This isn't an earth shattering achievement for a secondary player, as players play multiple roles often. However, the way he performed as a rookie and first time starter was above and beyond what many could have hoped. Percy Harvin had quite a day for the Jets, catching 11 passes for 129 yards, making for 11.7 YPC on the day. He also saw quite a bit of PG-23 Sunday, yet the rookie CB was targeted 7 times for NINE YARDS. That is an inconceivable 1.29 yards per target, meaning Harvin wasn't able to get his yardage when Gaines was lined up across from him. For example, this play from the first quarter on Sunday:

http://cdn2.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/41eMdMkr_Pe0zzwLTuLGrt5ictM=/700x0/filters:no_upscale()/cdn1.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_asset/file/2428220/P1-1.0.JPG

It's 1st and 10 for the Jets, and they break the huddle with Harvin in the slot across from Gaines. The offense has called a play action wide receiver screen to Harvin. The left tackle for the Jets is going to allow Tamba to have the outside edge, then block down on Harvin. Harvin is going to sell a deeper route, forcing Gaines to backpedal, allowing time for the tackle to get to the corner.

http://cdn2.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/383MUfJD2K-1ulwCk2PVvhfB_q8=/700x0/filters:no_upscale()/cdn0.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_asset/file/2428232/P1-2.0.JPG

The play action goes off well for the offense. Both of the Chiefs inside linebackers bite on the play fake and follow away from the actual direction of the play. The outside receiver on top gets out in a "go" route, and Sean Smith runs with him. Safety Ron Parker is playing very deep, and Tamba Hali is not going to get to the pass to bat it down in time. This play falls solely at the feet of the rookie corner to avoid the block, square up, and make a great tackle, or it's going for BIG yardage.

http://cdn1.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/s_L5T0gIP3RK5U2M5LFQiwp8UGg=/700x0/filters:no_upscale()/cdn2.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_asset/file/2428254/P1-3.0.JPG

Not only does Gaines avoid the block, he hits Harvin with good technique and brings him down immediately for a 2-yard loss. Great closing speed and sound form tackling save what could have been a monster play against the Kansas City Chiefs defense.

Gaines wasn't perfect on Sunday. He allowed a touchdown pass to Eric Decker on a pick play, and he clearly missed the switch, not realizing the man in front of him was now his responsibility, and Vick missed a wide open receiver in the center of the field when Gaines and Justin Houston ended up both covering the tight end in the flat. He can get better at consistent form tackling and getting off of blocks from wide receivers, but there are few corners in the league that really excel at all of those facets of the game.

It will be interesting to see how he's utilized with the secondary getting healthier in the future. Eric Berry typically played the deep safety role when the nickel package was implemented last Sunday, and that typically moved Ron Parker forward to play cornerback, with Gaines moving inside to the slot. However, in the base defense this week, Gaines was the first choice starter as an outside cornerback. With Fleming and Owens coming back soon, and Berry getting back to 100 percent with more snaps, Gaines may once again find himself in spot duty with the first team defense. That said, if he can rattle off a couple more performances like Sunday against the Jets, Sutton's not going to have much of a choice but to keep him on the field and move him all over the place. That's pretty remarkable for a third round rookie.

Keep it up, PG-23!

Fritz88
11-06-2014, 07:01 AM
I sure hope he's that good and that the passrush is not masking a lesser secondary.

Chief_For_Life58
11-06-2014, 07:25 AM
I like good football

milkman
11-06-2014, 07:58 AM
I sure hope he's that good and that the passrush is not masking a lesser secondary.

Here I am again pointing out the simple truth.

QBs are getting the ball out of thier hands in 3 seconds or less if the secondary isnkt doing their job.

This secondary is covering and giving the pass rush the opportunity to get to the QB.
And even when the QB is getting the ball out, this secondary is making tackles, limiting Yac.

So, no, the pass rush is not masking the secondary.

Molitoth
11-06-2014, 08:39 AM
Here I am again pointing out the simple truth.

QBs are getting the ball out of thier hands in 3 seconds or less if the secondary isnkt doing their job.

This secondary is covering and giving the pass rush the opportunity to get to the QB.
And even when the QB is getting the ball out, this secondary is making tackles, limiting Yac.

So, no, the pass rush is not masking the secondary.

:clap:

Easy 6
11-06-2014, 11:03 AM
I particularly enjoyed reading that AP piece yesterday, they were lining him up everywhere, even safety, and he more than held his own... he keeps on this arc and we'll have a legit shutdown corner in no time.

Dorseys choices just keep looking better and better.

Mav
11-06-2014, 11:08 AM
I particularly enjoyed reading that AP piece yesterday, they were lining him up everywhere, even safety, and he more than held his own... he keeps on this arc and we'll have a legit shutdown corner in no time.

Dorseys choices just keep looking better and better.
Ummm hmmmm. But he's a dumb ass, sutton is garbage, kelce is a broke dick, Andy is retarded, knile sucks, eric fisher sucks.

/cp

ModSocks
11-06-2014, 11:15 AM
he keeps on this arc and we'll have a legit shutdown corner in no time.

Calm down.....

BWillie
11-06-2014, 11:17 AM
The only reason our corners look so good is because of our pass rush. We saw the same old song and dance last year. Then Marcus Cooper didn't look so good when Hali and Houston got hurt. Only difference is the D isn't getting TOs like they were last year and we are STILL good.

ChiTown
11-06-2014, 11:20 AM
The only reason our corners look so good is because of our pass rush. We saw the same old song and dance last year. Then Marcus Cooper didn't look so good when Hali and Houston got hurt. Only difference is the D isn't getting TOs like they were last year and we are STILL good.

I think Post #7 form milk covers this quite well.

ModSocks
11-06-2014, 11:21 AM

Bullshit.

Marcus Cooper & our secondary looked like shit before the puff puff pass rush died.

Easy 6
11-06-2014, 11:21 AM
Ummm hmmmm. But he's a dumb ass, sutton is garbage, kelce is a broke dick, Andy is retarded, knile sucks, eric fisher sucks.

/cp

Indeed LMAO

Calm down.....

I havent crowned him yet, but when Sutton is comfortable enough with a rookie to play him all over the secondary like that, it means the kid is learning rapidly... thats a damn good sign.

ModSocks
11-06-2014, 11:24 AM
Indeed LMAO

I havent crowned him yet, but when Sutton is comfortable enough with a rookie to play him all over the secondary like that, it means the kid is learning rapidly... thats a damn good sign.

He's got a loooooong way to go.

I love my DB's, im a DB guy, always defending them. With that said, Gaines is getting better but has a looooong way to go.

BWillie
11-06-2014, 11:28 AM
Bullshit.

Marcus Cooper & our secondary looked like shit before the puff puff pass rush died.
Everybody was crowning Marcus Cooper just short of a God last year at this time. So id have to disagree with that

J Diddy
11-06-2014, 11:30 AM
He's got a loooooong way to go.

I love my DB's, im a DB guy, always defending them. With that said, Gaines is getting better but has a looooong way to go.

I don't think anybody's confusing him with Deon Sanders in his prime, but for a rook he's outperforming my expectations.

Of course, that means nada in the grand scheme of things.

O.city
11-06-2014, 11:31 AM
We actually have the front office and coaching staff to develop players now.

Refreshing

ModSocks
11-06-2014, 11:32 AM
Everybody was crowning Marcus Cooper just short of a God last year at this time. So id have to disagree with that

And everyone was an idiot.

Like i've been saying for weeks, winning can make people just as retarded as losing.

ChiTown
11-06-2014, 11:34 AM
And everyone was an idiot.

Like i've been saying for weeks, winning can make people just as retarded as losing.

There is A LOT of truth in that.

ModSocks
11-06-2014, 11:36 AM
I don't think anybody's confusing him with Deon Sanders in his prime, but for a rook he's outperforming my expectations.

Of course, that means nada in the grand scheme of things.

I think he looks exactly the way you'd think a rookie would look.

He has his ups and downs. On Sunday, he had his ups and downs.

He'll get better, but right now he's still working on being a consistent, competent DB. He's a long way away from deserving any discussion regarding "shut down corner".

How about we worry about him being a good, complete corner first.

Easy 6
11-06-2014, 11:52 AM
Shutdown Corner

Shutdown Corner

Shutdown Corner

LALALALALALALA