PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Chiefs activate Joe Mays

MotherfuckerJones
11-08-2014, 10:17 AM
@caplannfl: #Chiefs activated ILB Joe Mays from IR-DFR. Waived LB Jerry Franklin

In58men
11-08-2014, 10:19 AM
We're getting serious now.

Coochie liquor
11-08-2014, 10:20 AM
Yes!!

Sandy Vagina
11-08-2014, 10:21 AM
Shit got real, yo... Hope he can step in and take over for JMJ.. who SUCKS!

Direckshun
11-08-2014, 10:22 AM
Mays and Mauga in the middle is FINALLY a semblance of replacement for DJ.

LET'S DO THIS THING!

Owens can't be far behind, and then Avery, and then we'll be as healthy as any team in the Wild Card mix.

Iconic
11-08-2014, 10:23 AM
Will help against the run but he's really nothing special. If JMJ wasn't absolute shit this wouldn't be that big of a deal.

Discuss Thrower
11-08-2014, 10:25 AM
Cheapshot artist.

FML
11-08-2014, 10:26 AM
Scrub.

Shaid
11-08-2014, 10:30 AM
http://d2ws0xxnnorfdo.cloudfront.net/meme/133159

Red Dawg
11-08-2014, 10:35 AM
Great news. Just in time.

Imon Yourside
11-08-2014, 10:39 AM
Is this the all about fitness guy? :P

MTG#10
11-08-2014, 10:41 AM
Meh, he will probably be worse than JMJ for the first couple weeks at least.

TribalElder
11-08-2014, 10:45 AM
@caplannfl: #Chiefs activated ILB Joe Mays from IR-DFR. Waived LB Jerry Franklin

I guess he can go back to selling suzuki's in south kc

Or was that Jeremy :shrug:

BossChief
11-08-2014, 10:48 AM
I may very well be wrong, but doesn't Mays play the same position as Mauga, not JMJ.

jimidollar
11-08-2014, 10:49 AM
Is this the part where someone says to the ship?

Direckshun
11-08-2014, 10:49 AM
I may very well be wrong, but doesn't Mays play the same position as Mauga, not JMJ.

He does, but I'm pretty sure you can play Mauga at DJ's position, now.

Mauga has essentially replaced DJ, anyway. He's the ILB on the field in subpackages.

Easy 6
11-08-2014, 10:56 AM
Cheapshot artist.

One play doesnt define a career, but if he happens to bring a little attitude with him then thats fine by me.

The Bad Guy
11-08-2014, 11:08 AM
Am I the only one who thought JMJ did a solid job?

MTG#10
11-08-2014, 11:10 AM

Probably. Our run defense is horrible and Mauga has been the better of the two by far.

Sandy Vagina
11-08-2014, 11:13 AM

Wanted to like him, but he rarely was anything but a liability. Usually a "oh, just so close, but not there" in coverage.... and usually running himself out of the rush lane or unable to disengage a block.

Maybe some day... but it just wasn't showing up well on the field.

RealSNR
11-08-2014, 11:13 AM

I still think he's not all that terrible.

It's more people looking at our rush D numbers and blaming one of our two ILBs. Josh Mauga got an article about him in the KC Star, so it can't be him, therefore JMJ is the one who sucks.

Rausch
11-08-2014, 11:27 AM

As a b/u he did an admirable job.

As a starter...no.

TimBone
11-08-2014, 11:31 AM
Is Mays ready to go? Or are they activating him just because the designation to return time is about to expire?

Mr. Arrowhead
11-08-2014, 11:34 AM
Is Mays ready to go? Or are they activating him just because the designation to return time is about to expire?

they could have waited another week if they wanted to

ModSocks
11-08-2014, 11:35 AM

It's more people looking at our rush D numbers and blaming one of our two ILBs. Josh Mauga got an article about him in the KC Star, so it can't be him, therefore JMJ is the one who sucks.

Could be that. Or it could be that Mauga makes plays on the field seemingly every game and JMJ does not.

TimBone
11-08-2014, 11:35 AM
they could have waited another week if they wanted to
Awesome. That must mean he's ready to go. I just recalled somebody saying recently that a decision needed to.be made fairly quickly.

ILChief
11-08-2014, 11:36 AM
Could be that. Or it could be that Mauga makes plays on the field seemingly every game and JMJ does not.

Yeah and that

journeyscarab
11-08-2014, 11:51 AM
I guess he can go back to selling suzuki's in south kc

Or was that Jeremy :shrug:

I LOL'd!!

Sweet Daddy Hate
11-08-2014, 11:52 AM
http://stream1.gifsoup.com/view7/4736574/wonder-twin-powers-o.gif

thabear04
11-08-2014, 11:59 AM
http://cdn.bleacherreport.net/images_root/article/media_slots/photos/000/554/540/SchaubHit_original.gif?1348439710

http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/1421613/schaubpwned.gif

mcaj22
11-08-2014, 12:02 PM
Joe Mays stinks but he will at least

A) hit someone
B) take on anyone thats in front him

something the current two turds at MLB for us do not do. So hes a massive upgrade to this team.

thabear04
11-08-2014, 12:04 PM
The Kansas City Chiefs defense just got that much stouter.

The team officially activated Joe Mays from IR, who has missed the first nine weeks of 2014 due to a surgically repaired tendon in his wrist. To make room, the Chiefs also waived linebacker Jerry Franklin, whose primary role came in the form of kickoff coverage.

It’s unclear as to whether Mays will start against the Buffalo Bills. However, being that Kansas City chose to activate him, signs are looking up, especially for Week 11 versus Seattle.

Throughout 2013, Pro Football Focus (PFF, subscription required) ranked Mays, a strong-side inside linebacker/“thumper,” No. 15 among inside linebackers in run defense—a facet that Kansas City could use some help in.

PFF grades the Chiefs defense No. 3 in pass rush and No. 7 in coverage. However, the unit is slotted at No. 22 in defending against the ground game.

Whenever he’s deemed healthy, you can expect Mays to replace James-Michael Johnson in the starting lineup.

lcarus
11-08-2014, 12:09 PM
Joe Mays for Denver: "Fuck that dirty hitting mother fucker. Somebody clock this clown!"

Joe Mays for KC: "YEAAHHHHH JOE!!! KICK THEIR ASS!!!! KILL THE HEAD AND THE BODY WILL DIIIIIIIIIIIIIIEEEEE!"

notorious
11-08-2014, 12:10 PM
Hopefully he will strengthen our weakness at defense.

Iconic
11-08-2014, 12:22 PM

He sucks at shedding blocks. The only time he closes in on the ball carrier is when unobstructed.

Sandy Vagina
11-08-2014, 12:23 PM
I don't see the Bills being able to do much on the ground this week anyway. They can sparingly ease Mays back into some action this week, while getting him ready for a heavy load vs the Hawks.

TimBone
11-08-2014, 12:24 PM
Joe Mays for Denver: "Fuck that dirty hitting mother fucker. Somebody clock this clown!"

Joe Mays for KC: "YEAAHHHHH JOE!!! KICK THEIR ASS!!!! KILL THE HEAD AND THE BODY WILL DIIIIIIIIIIIIIIEEEEE!"
That's NFL fandom.

RealSNR
11-08-2014, 12:25 PM

He's still a dirty player, and I was pretty pissed when we signed him to replace Jordan.

But he's probably an upgrade over JMJ. Put him on the field and hope he doesn't try to WWE body slam any more RBs.

lcarus
11-08-2014, 12:27 PM
He's still a dirty player, and I was pretty pissed when we signed him to replace Jordan.

But he's probably an upgrade over JMJ. Put him on the field and hope he doesn't try to WWE body slam any more RBs.

Yeah but truth be told, I always liked that he was a big time hitter. Reminds me of Marvcus Patton in that regard. Dude would lay a bonecruncher on dudes at times.

BossChief
11-08-2014, 12:34 PM
I've been saying this for awhile now.

"This defense needs a nasty motherfucker"

We got one now.

Sweet Daddy Hate
11-08-2014, 12:35 PM
Yeah but truth be told, I always liked that he was a big time hitter. Reminds me of Marvcus Patton in that regard. Dude would lay a bonecruncher on dudes at times.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-ARAGO9Sj7sY/Tolg6xCa2vI/AAAAAAAAIVY/2eaUlA3iFKw/s1600/StarWarsIV_087Pyxurz.jpg

"Now there's a name I have not heard since long before you were born".

Sandy Vagina
11-08-2014, 12:36 PM

Good. Pop some footballs loose. The KC defense is 2nd worst in the league with only 5 takeaways. The better takeaway teams have more than 3 x as many. :$2500:

Easy 6

"This defense needs a nasty mother****er"

We got one now.

Yup.

Sweet Daddy Hate

"This defense needs a nasty motherfucker"

We got one now.

Remember when defenses used to be ALL "nasty motherfuckers"?:(

rabblerouser
11-08-2014, 12:48 PM
Fuck. YES.

ThaVirus
11-08-2014, 12:52 PM

Heh.

DaneMcCloud
11-08-2014, 12:57 PM

Yes. I've been told that Mauga will move over to JMJ's while Mays takes over Mauga's spot on all three downs. On obvious passing downs, JMJ will replace Mauga.

No.

JMJ's done a helluva job this year but his strengths lie in the passing game. The initial plan was for JMJ to replace DJ on passing downs but then injury occurred.

Considering this is a pass first league, I think JMJ has done an admirable job and will only continue to ascend.

The Franchise
11-08-2014, 01:37 PM

No....I think he did a decent job.

penbrook
11-08-2014, 02:41 PM
Joe Mays will play tommorow and possibly start

thabear04
11-08-2014, 02:43 PM
Q

The Bad Guy
11-08-2014, 03:11 PM
I'm glad Mays is back because he adds a level of mean to this defense too.

Pasta Little Brioni
11-08-2014, 03:13 PM
Wow you looked hard for this subject

mikey23545
11-08-2014, 04:39 PM
Remember when defenses used to be ALL "nasty motherfuckers"?:(

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/xq90/674/9r5h9U.jpg (https://imageshack.com/i/iq9r5h9Uj)
http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/xq90/540/Sy7I6J.jpg (https://imageshack.com/i/f0Sy7I6Jj)
http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/xq90/912/XmQXeB.jpg (https://imageshack.com/i/pcXmQXeBj)
http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/xq90/912/r2PDRA.jpg (https://imageshack.com/i/pcr2PDRAj)
http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/xq90/538/cKzsuS.jpg (https://imageshack.com/i/eycKzsuSj)
http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/xq90/911/MnVJzY.jpg (https://imageshack.com/i/pbMnVJzYj)

O.city
11-08-2014, 04:42 PM
Doesn't jmj come off the field in passing downs and Mauga stays, in the Nickel aND dime?

DaneMcCloud
11-08-2014, 04:46 PM
Doesn't jmj come off the field in passing downs and Mauga stays, in the Nickel aND dime?

No, the other way around.

JMJ is the coverage linebacker.

FlaChief58
11-08-2014, 04:47 PM
Wow! twice in one day? TO THE SHIP!

BlackHelicopters
11-08-2014, 04:50 PM
Penetration

LoneWolf
11-08-2014, 04:53 PM
The initial plan was for JMJ to replace DJ on passing downs but then injury occurred.

DJ was great at occupying passing lanes and reading the QBs eyes. I highly doubt Sutton's plan was to pull his best linebacker against the pass off of the field on passing downs.

LoneWolf
11-08-2014, 04:56 PM

Mauga played every snap in last weeks game. You're wrong.

jspchief
11-08-2014, 04:56 PM
He sucks at shedding blocks. The only time he closes in on the ball carrier is when unobstructed.
This comment reminded me of the shit storm about how DJ couldn't shed blocks when he was drafted.

DaneMcCloud
11-08-2014, 04:57 PM
DJ was great at occupying passing lanes and reading the QBs eyes. I highly doubt Sutton's plan was to pull his best linebacker against the pass off of the field on passing downs.

How many times were the Chiefs beaten on crossing routes, wheel routes and pick plays last year? A dozen? Two dozen? More?

JMJ and Joe Mays were expected to cover crossing routes and tight ends, something that DJ was unable to do. Also, the addition of Mays, along with JMJ's coverage ability, were supposed to free up Eric Berry on third downs. Most of last season, he was moved to Linebacker in order to cover TE's.

O.city
11-08-2014, 04:57 PM

Unless last week was an aberration, Mauga played 100% of snaps and JMJ only played 36%.

LoneWolf
11-08-2014, 04:59 PM
How many times were the Chiefs beaten on crossing routes, wheel routes and pick plays last year? A dozen? Two dozen? More?

JMJ and Joe Mays were expected to cover crossing routes and tight ends, something that DJ was unable to do. Also, the addition of Mays, along with JMJ's coverage ability, were supposed to free up Eric Berry on third downs. Most of last season, he was moved to Linebacker in order to cover TE's.

I hope your knowledge of the entertainment business is better than your football knowledge. Mays is one of the worst linebackers in the league against the pass.

Chromatic
11-08-2014, 05:01 PM
http://cdn.bleacherreport.net/images_root/article/media_slots/photos/000/554/540/SchaubHit_original.gif?1348439710

http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/1421613/schaubpwned.gif

http://i.imgur.com/tJaBJjl.gif

DaneMcCloud
11-08-2014, 05:03 PM
I hope your knowledge of the entertainment business is better than your football knowledge. Mays is one of the worst linebackers in the league against the pass.

I'm telling you why he was signed, not his ability or lack thereof.

I'm glad to see you're still alive but you're cranky as ever.

O.city
11-08-2014, 05:06 PM
If they were already worried about DJ covering the pass that they were going to bring him off the field in sub sets, I can't imagine them being interested in bringing him back

O.city
11-08-2014, 05:07 PM
Yeah everything I can find is saying Mauga has played 100 % of defensive snaps since it looks like week 2. I think you were mixed up Dane.

DaneMcCloud
11-08-2014, 05:07 PM

From the Chiefs website:

Q: How much work did you get at nickel and dime packages with the Texans?
MAYS: “I didn’t get any work with the dime packages, because they really didn’t want to focus a dime package on me. They already had their guys that they wanted to work in there, but later, towards the end of the season, they wanted to keep two linebackers out there, and I was one of them. I think maybe the last four or five games, we started going to a nickel package and it worked for us. That was something that was great, because they were already a two-package team for the most part, but I felt like I could go in there and play some third down. Hey, if they put me in a nickel package, I can pick it up and do fairly well with it.”

Q: How comfortable are you covering tight ends in pressure situations?
MAYS: “I’m comfortable. I’m getting better and better, each and every year. That’s something that I try to work on. I pride myself in trying to be the best football player that I can be. I’m always working, always trying to get better and I’ve gotten better and better, over the years, when it comes to being out there in passing situations and covering backs and stuff like that. I’m comfortable and I’m ready to roll, if that’s something the Chiefs want to do, but right now, I think the focus for me is to come in and learn the system and do whatever I can to help the team.”

-----

The "Plan" for Mays was for him to be a three down linebacker. Whether or not he's capable on third down in this system is debatable because he hasn't played yet this season.

LoneWolf
11-08-2014, 05:08 PM
I'm telling you why he was signed, not his ability or lack thereof.

I'm glad to see you're still alive but you're cranky as ever.

Mays wasn't signed to help cover anyone in the passing game. He was signed to be a thumper against the run. This is common knowledge.

LonewolfEd is the one with cancer. I'm also glad he's still alive.

DaneMcCloud
11-08-2014, 05:09 PM
Yeah everything I can find is saying Mauga has played 100 % of defensive snaps since it looks like week 2. I think you were mixed up Dane.

I'm not mixed up. Mauga has played on every down. JMJ is likely close to every down.

The initial plan was for DJ and Mays to be the starters with JMJ on obvious passing downs. Once Mays and DJ went down, Mauga and JMJ have been the starters.

Like I mentioned previously, I was told that Mauga would move to JMJ's spot and Mays would take Mauga's spot. We'll know more on Sunday.

LoneWolf
11-08-2014, 05:10 PM
From the Chiefs website:

Q: How much work did you get at nickel and dime packages with the Texans?
MAYS: “I didn’t get any work with the dime packages, because they really didn’t want to focus a dime package on me. They already had their guys that they wanted to work in there, but later, towards the end of the season, they wanted to keep two linebackers out there, and I was one of them. I think maybe the last four or five games, we started going to a nickel package and it worked for us. That was something that was great, because they were already a two-package team for the most part, but I felt like I could go in there and play some third down. Hey, if they put me in a nickel package, I can pick it up and do fairly well with it.”

Q: How comfortable are you covering tight ends in pressure situations?
MAYS: “I’m comfortable. I’m getting better and better, each and every year. That’s something that I try to work on. I pride myself in trying to be the best football player that I can be. I’m always working, always trying to get better and I’ve gotten better and better, over the years, when it comes to being out there in passing situations and covering backs and stuff like that. I’m comfortable and I’m ready to roll, if that’s something the Chiefs want to do, but right now, I think the focus for me is to come in and learn the system and do whatever I can to help the team.”

-----

The "Plan" for Mays was for him to be a three down linebacker. Whether or not he's capable on third down in this system is debatable because he hasn't played yet this season.

Why was that the plan? Because a reporter asked Mays how comfortable he is playing in the nickel and dime packages. They asked him that question because he has traditionally struggled in that role.

DaneMcCloud
11-08-2014, 05:11 PM
Mays wasn't signed to help cover anyone in the passing game. He was signed to be a thumper against the run. This is common knowledge.

LonewolfEd is the one with cancer. I'm also glad he's still alive.

This is not common knowledge. He was signed to help defend against TE's, which is why he was given $3 million per season. The questions I posted directly from the Chiefs website convey those plans.

O.city
11-08-2014, 05:12 PM
I'm not mixed up. Mauga has played on every down. JMJ is likely close to every down.

The initial plan was for DJ and Mays to be the starters with JMJ on obvious passing downs. Once Mays and DJ went down, Mauga and JMJ have been the starters.

Like I mentioned previously, I was told that Mauga would move to JMJ's spot and Mays would take Mauga's spot. We'll know more on Sunday.

JMJ hasn't played over 50 percent of the defensive snaps in a game I can find.

Edit: did against the rams

DaneMcCloud
11-08-2014, 05:12 PM
Why was that the plan? Because a reporter asked Mays how comfortable he is playing in the nickel and dime packages. They asked him that question because he has traditionally struggled in that role.

If you followed Chiefs reporters on Twitter all offseason, you'll find that it was explained why he was signed. The Chiefs felt he could cover TE's on third down and keep Berry in coverage.

DaneMcCloud
11-08-2014, 05:13 PM
JMJ hasn't played over 50 percent of the defensive snaps in a game I can find.

Edit: did against the rams

There have been several occasions where Abdullah was moved to the LB position to cover TE's.

Why does this even matter?

LoneWolf
11-08-2014, 05:16 PM
There have been several occasions where Abdullah was moved to the LB position to cover TE's.

Why does this even matter?

It matters because you said that JMJ was the nickel LB and that Mauga was the LB who came off the field in those situations, which is dead wrong. It's almost as wrong as your insane babbling that Mays was signed to cover TEs.

alpha_omega
11-08-2014, 05:19 PM
This has to be good news.

DaneMcCloud
11-08-2014, 05:20 PM
It matters because you said that JMJ was the nickel LB and that Mauga was the LB who came off the field in those situations, which is dead wrong.

Andy Reid has stated several times that JMJ is their best coverage linebacker.

Coverage ability gives James-Michael Johnson a chance to help Chiefs in passing situations

http://www.kansascity.com/sports/nfl/kansas-city-chiefs/article1197410.html#storylink=cpy

It's almost as wrong as your insane babbling that Mays was signed to cover TEs.

I never stated that Mays was a great or even average coverage linebacker. I'm stating that he was signed to be a three down linebacker that the Chiefs expected to cover TE's.

O.city
11-08-2014, 05:21 PM

Coverage ability gives James-Michael Johnson a chance to help Chiefs in passing situations

http://www.kansascity.com/sports/nfl/kansas-city-chiefs/article1197410.html#storylink=cpy

I never stated that Mays was a great or even average coverage linebacker. I'm stating that he was signed to be a three down linebacker that the Chiefs expected to cover TE's.

Reid may have said that, but the data and snap counts show mauga is the Nickel lb right now.

rico
11-08-2014, 05:25 PM
Tony Moeaki is so screwed next Sunday.

DaneMcCloud
11-08-2014, 05:25 PM
Reid may have said that, but the data and snap counts show mauga is the Nickel lb right now.

It depends on the set. For example:

The Patriots used a ton of three-wide sets, which basically took starting linebacker James-Michael Johnson out of the game. Johnson has seen his workload fall from 82 percent to 56 percent to 32 percent over the last three games, mainly because the Chiefs feel comfortable using safety Husain Abdullah as a dime linebacker next to fellow starter Josh Mauga. In these instances, Ron Parker (50 of 50 possible snaps) and Kurt Coleman (24 snaps) play safety.
Read more here: http://www.kansascity.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/red-zone/article2382450.html#storylink=cpy

LoneWolf
11-08-2014, 05:34 PM

Did you notice in the article you posted that JMJ himself called Derrick Johnson one of the best coverage linebackers he's ever seen? But the Chiefs were going to pull him off the field in passing situations. LMAO

Mr. Laz
11-08-2014, 05:35 PM
He's not special but he does bring more anger to the defense.

maybe it will rub off on the rest

Mays and Berry out there will definitely bring more impact.

DaneMcCloud
11-08-2014, 05:40 PM
Did you notice in the article you posted that JMJ himself called Derrick Johnson one of the best coverage linebackers he's ever seen? But the Chiefs were going to pull him off the field in passing situations. LMAO

And did you happen to read this segment?

--
Sutton called James-Michael competitive and smart, and noted that his presence could give the Chiefs added flexibility against the plethora of three- or four-wide sets that have become popular around the league. The Chiefs were fond of using Pro Bowl safety Eric Berry at inside linebacker in those sub packages last season, and fellow safety Husain Abdullah has also gotten some work there in training camp.
--

Unfortunately for JMJ, the Chiefs began using Abdullah more and more as the season has worn on but that doesn't change what their initial plan was for him.

FWIW, he's played 60% of all the defensive snaps this season (compared to Mauga's 90%) and he's been a solid player.

O.city
11-08-2014, 05:42 PM
I thought i was noticing mauga out there in subs. You guys had me questioning my self.

LoneWolf
11-08-2014, 05:44 PM

--
Sutton called James-Michael competitive and smart, and noted that his presence could give the Chiefs added flexibility against the plethora of three- or four-wide sets that have become popular around the league. The Chiefs were fond of using Pro Bowl safety Eric Berry at inside linebacker in those sub packages last season, and fellow safety Husain Abdullah has also gotten some work there in training camp.
--

Unfortunately for JMJ, the Chiefs began using Abdullah more and more as the season has worn on but that doesn't change what their initial plan was for him.

FWIW, he's played 60% of all the defensive snaps this season (compared to Mauga's 90%) and he's been a solid player.

Sure did. I saw where Sutton said he had POTENTIAL. I also noticed he plays 30% fewer snaps than Mauga even though he is supposed to be the superior coverage linebacker.

Tell me more about how Mays was brought here for his coverage ability. I love comedy.

Sandy Vagina
11-08-2014, 05:46 PM

I really don't understand why you are saying this. Even PFF has this one right.. giving JMJ a total -6.2 grade.. nearly all of that accounted for due to shit run defense. The % of passes in his area that were caught? 91.7%.

One can say that he may have potential.. but he has certainly not been "a solid player."

DaneMcCloud
11-08-2014, 05:47 PM
Sure did. I saw where Sutton said he had POTENTIAL. I also noticed he plays 30% fewer snaps than Mauga even though he is supposed to be the superior coverage linebacker.

Yes, that was the plan.

Tell me more about how Mays was brought here for his coverage ability. I love comedy.

That's not what I said. I said that the Chiefs expected him to be a three down player and cover TE's. That is not the same as what you're stating.

Is this how you behave in real life? If so, you must be a pleasure to hang out with.

O.city
11-08-2014, 05:48 PM
Cool that Abdullah is playing the berry role from last year. Interested to see how they incorporate berry back. Would be a huge difference maker against the tough teams down the stretch if he's progressed in the d as others have.

beach tribe
11-08-2014, 05:50 PM

--
--

I don't think the staff had realized at that point that Mauga was actually the better player.
They have now.

DaneMcCloud
11-08-2014, 05:52 PM
I really don't understand why you are saying this. Even PFF has this one right.. giving JMJ a total -6.2 grade.. nearly all of that accounted for due to shit run defense. The % of passes in his area that were caught? 91.7%.

One can say that he may have potential.. but he has certainly not been "a solid player."

I don't put much stock in PFF. And from memory, I don't recall any plays in which I said "Wow, JMJ fucked that up".

Also, I think it's hilarious that the Chiefs 18th ranked run defense is "shit". The expectations around here are patently absurd.

DaneMcCloud
11-08-2014, 05:52 PM
I don't think the staff had realized at that point that Mauga was actually the better player.
They have now.

For sure. I think he may be Dorsey's best free agent acquisition this season.

LoneWolf
11-08-2014, 05:55 PM

That's not what I said. I said that the Chiefs expected him to be a three down player and cover TE's. That is not the same as what you're stating.

Is this how you behave in real life? If so, you must be a pleasure to hang out with.

As per your above post, you stated that Mays was brought here specifically to do something DJ is unable to do, cover crossing routes and TEs. That opinion is laughable. Nobody, and yes I mean nobody on the face of the planet, believes Mays is better in coverage than DJ.

Sandy Vagina
11-08-2014, 05:57 PM
I don't put much stock in PFF. And from memory, I don't recall any plays in which I said "Wow, JMJ ****ed that up".

Also, I think it's hilarious that the Chiefs 18th ranked run defense is "shit". The expectations around here are patently absurd.

Then respectfully, I'd say that you were not looking closely enough. JMJ struggles badly at diagnosing the appropriate rush lane to clog. He takes himself out of position entirely on occasion, and doesn't recover in time. He doesn't take on and disengage well from blocks.

His effort is fine.. but he's just not ready (or talented enough) to be a solid starter.

I never called the 18th ranked run D shit. I called his run D shit.

DaneMcCloud
11-08-2014, 05:59 PM
As per your above post, you stated that Mays was brought here specifically to do something DJ is unable to do, cover crossing routes and TEs. That opinion is laughable. Nobody, and yes I mean nobody on the face of the planet, believes Mays is better in coverage than DJ.

The Chiefs used Berry as a linebacker last year to cover TE's and this year they've used JMJ and Abdullah. As far as I can recall, I've never seen DJ cover TE's and if he had, he was hardly worth a shit considering the sheer volume of TD's scored against the Chiefs by Antonio Gates alone.

Second, it's not "My Opinion" that Mays was signed to cover TE's. The Chiefs felt he had the ability to be a three down linebacker so that Berry could stay in coverage at safety.

Your reading comprehension is as deplorable as your attitude.

LoneWolf
11-08-2014, 06:07 PM
The Chiefs used Berry as a linebacker last year to cover TE's and this year they've used JMJ and Abdullah. As far as I can recall, I've never seen DJ cover TE's and if he had, he was hardly worth a shit considering the sheer volume of TD's scored against the Chiefs by Antonio Gates alone.

Second, it's not "My Opinion" that Mays was signed to cover TE's. The Chiefs felt he had the ability to be a three down linebacker so that Berry could stay in coverage at safety.

Your reading comprehension is as deplorable as your attitude.

I'll let this post speak for itself. You saying DJ's coverage ability on TEs must suck because Antonio Gates, one of the best TEs in the history of football, has caught touchdowns vs. KC. ROFL

Give it up man. You said a bunch of stupid shit and have been proven wrong. Own it and move on.

DaneMcCloud
11-08-2014, 06:12 PM
I'll let this post speak for itself. You saying DJ's coverage ability on TEs must suck because Antonio Gates, one of the best TEs in the history of football, has caught touchdowns vs. KC. ROFL

Give it up man. You said a bunch of stupid shit and have been proven wrong. Own it and move on.

Derrick Johnson had six passed defended last year. In 2012, he had four passes defended.

If you think those are "special" numbers, good for you.

O.city
11-08-2014, 06:15 PM
I think DJ has been overrated in his pass coverage here for a while. He's solely a hook zone type lber at this point and with an Achilles tear, seems like he'd be one to let go.

LoneWolf
11-08-2014, 06:18 PM
Derrick Johnson had six passed defended last year. In 2012, he had four passe defended.

If you think those are "special" numbers, good for you.

In those same years, Luke Keuchly had 8 and 7. He's considered one of the best and most athletic MLB in the game. Try again.

thabear04
11-08-2014, 06:19 PM
Wow! twice in one day? TO THE SHIP!

We need more Chiefs play in London threads.

KCrockaholic
11-08-2014, 06:20 PM
Good chance we see a nasty hit tomorrow. Joe Mays fav.

DaneMcCloud
11-08-2014, 06:23 PM
In those same years, Luke Keuchly had 8 and 7. He's considered one of the best and most athletic MLB in the game. Try again.

You said he was one of the best in the game, yet his numbers disprove that theory.

Wheel routes killed the Chiefs last season, especially against Denver. But if DJ was as good as you state, that wouldn't have happened.

You're talking out of your ass. Not only did you try to put words in mouth regarding Mays, you're deflecting.

Game over.

Gonzo
11-08-2014, 06:35 PM
Joe Mays will play tommorow and possibly start

Threads merged. Search function is our friend.

LoneWolf
11-08-2014, 06:39 PM
You said he was one of the best in the game, yet his numbers disprove that theory.

Wheel routes killed the Chiefs last season, especially against Denver. But if DJ was as good as you state, that wouldn't have happened.

You're talking out of your ass. Not only did you try to put words in mouth regarding Mays, you're deflecting.

Game over.

Might want to go back and watch those Denver games again. Moreno had one huge catch against KC. Julius Thomas had three catches in the first game. Denver hurt KC with passes to Demaryius Thomas and Eric Decker and I can assure you that neither of those players were running wheel routes.

I put your words in your mouth about Mays. That's why I reposted your original dumb post.

OldSchool
11-08-2014, 07:20 PM
At any rate, glad Mays is back, should be a boost to the run defense.

LoneWolf
11-08-2014, 07:27 PM
At any rate, glad Mays is back, should be a boost to the run defense.

Ahem, I believe you meant pass defense.

OldSchool
11-08-2014, 07:30 PM
Ahem, I believe you meant pass defense.

Where did that come from btw? Everything that I've seen on Mays tells me that he's a 2-down thumper who can blitz effectively in passing situations. He's not a guy that you want matched up one on one in coverage.

LoneWolf
11-08-2014, 07:33 PM
Where did that come from btw? Everything that I've seen on Mays tells me that he's a 2-down thumper who can blitz effectively in passing situations. He's not a guy that you want matched up one on one in coverage.

Dane has inside knowledge that the Chiefs signed Mays to be a 3 down backer because not only is he good against the run, but he also is better in coverage than DJ was. He must party with Greg Robinson.

xztop123
11-08-2014, 08:02 PM
I like the lb's we have now.

I dont mind giving up some run D for better pass D. Especially in our division. I think it's a main reason we're a top 5 pass D. Both ILB can cover laterally

If anyone remembers our playoff loss to the Ravens. Heap and Ray Rice obliterated our ILB's

BossChief
11-08-2014, 08:30 PM
Dane has inside knowledge that the Chiefs signed Mays to be a 3 down backer because not only is he good against the run, but he also is better in coverage than DJ was. He must party with Greg Robinson.

:popcorn:

Sweet Daddy Hate
11-08-2014, 10:41 PM

This has become your "1st-round QB Death Cult".

Welcome.

DaneMcCloud
11-08-2014, 11:17 PM

DJ has been fucking shit in coverage the past few seasons. He was left with his dick in his hand while Indy ran crossing and wheel routes at will in the second half of the playoff game.

One last time: Joe Mays was given a $1.5 million dollar signing bonus and a two year $6 million dollar contract to play on all three downs. The Chiefs felt that Mays could stay in on passing downs so that Eric Berry could stay in safety coverage. That was the reason he was signed.

JMJ was considered to be the best coverage linebacker entering the season. Mays was injured, as was DJ, leaving JMJ and Mauga as the starters. The Chiefs felt that Abdullah, a safety, was the better option at nickel linebacker after several games into the season.

This does not invalidate JMJ as the best coverage linebacker on the roster, nor does it invalidate the fact they felt Mays could be a three down linebacker.

At this point, I'd be surprised to see the Chiefs immediately use Mays on passing downs but they certainly WANT a linebacker to step up in that role so that Abdullah and Berry can remain at safety.

ClevelandBronco
11-08-2014, 11:20 PM
He has a lot more motor than brain, but I always enjoyed watching Mays play.

TinyEvel
11-09-2014, 12:44 AM
Can't we all just get along?

I'm just really excited to see this game in 11 hours and 18 minutes.

You guys are nitpicking semantics and opinions, but neither are wrong, I think?

Here's my take on this:

"Me unfrozen Chiefs fan. Me not know of your complicated player responsibilities. Me like team make win. Wait. Is that chicken wing?! Me eat now." (brought to you by Coors Light)

(FWIW I think Dane is right.)

Saccopoo
11-09-2014, 12:47 AM
Mays and Mauga in the middle is FINALLY a semblance of replacement for DJ.

LET'S DO THIS THING!

Owens can't be far behind, and then Avery, and then we'll be as healthy as any team in the Wild Card mix.

http://31.media.tumblr.com/dea7e99fe6a2565a6c1e7b2dd7d2d612/tumblr_mmsjunKYyH1rskk8io2_500.gif

TimBone
11-09-2014, 01:54 AM
I like the lb's we have now.

I dont mind giving up some run D for better pass D. Especially in our division. I think it's a main reason we're a top 5 pass D. Both ILB can cover laterally

If anyone remembers our playoff loss to the Ravens. Heap and Ray Rice obliterated our ILB's
They've all got solid jawlines.