PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs This upcoming offseason is gonna be HUGE.

BossChief
11-08-2014, 12:30 PM
We currently have a total of 136 million on the books for next year in salary and the cap will probably be around 140-145.

Players without contracts for next season:

Houston
Bailey
Hudson
Mauga
Parker
Harris
Owens

Possible cost saving cuts and the cap savings of each:

Dwayne Bowe 5
Tamba Hali 9
Eric Berry 8.4
Mike Devito 5.4
Chase Daniel 4.8
Anthony Fasano 4.2
Joe Mays 4
Dustin Colquitt 3.8
Vance Walker 3.8

Lots of big decisions looming.

My guess is they give Houston, Bailey and Hudson new deals while restructuring Hali to 5 million per or so...cut Devito, Daniel and Fasano while giving Bowe an ultimatum to take less or get cut/traded. I bet they are gonna listen to offers for Berry between the combine and the draft.

The following year doesn't get much easier...Berry and Poe both become free agents...if Berry is still here.

It's gonna be a very interesting offseason with all that needs done to retain our guys and how we will utilize our haul of draft picks.

RealSNR
11-08-2014, 12:31 PM
https://i.ytimg.com/vi/WZ82v2J-aI8/mqdefault.jpg

thabear04
11-08-2014, 12:32 PM
No way we are cutting Dustin Colquitt.

Easy 6
11-08-2014, 12:34 PM
Hopefully Bowe and Hali will be open to restructuring, particularly Hali.

RealSNR
11-08-2014, 12:35 PM
All those fancy free agents we brought in for the 2013 offseason?

Yeah... thanks for playing, guys. It was fun.

Deberg_1990
2021 offseason is gonna be epic!

thabear04
Hopefully Bowe and Hali will be open to restructuring, particularly Hali.

Yeah i hope they can restructuring their contract. That one thing Flowers did to make some more room if i'm right.

Sweet Daddy Hate
11-08-2014, 12:40 PM
So many picks.

Trade 1/2 for Mariota?

LET IT BEGIN!

KCUnited
11-08-2014, 12:41 PM
Chase at 4.8 and I walk the rest of the way from the NFL.

Dante84
11-08-2014, 12:44 PM
Couple the FA decisions with the 45 draft picks we have, and yeah, it should be a big offseason.

BossChief
11-08-2014, 12:47 PM
Honestly, I'd try to restructure Bowe and Hali to deals that make sense and cut the rest of the guys on the list I included and replacing most with draft picks. Even keeping Hali and Bowe at their current cap numbers...this would clear up about 35 million in cap space.

I'm signing Houston, Bailey, Parker, maybe Mauga and definitely Hudson long term and taking whatever is left and bringing it to Ndamakon Suh.

Could you imagine that historic level defense?

Bailey
Poe
Suh

Hali/Ford
DJ
Mauga
Houston

Smith
Gaines
Cooper
Fleming
Berry
Abdullah
Parker

BossChief
11-08-2014, 12:49 PM
That would be an absolutely dominating defense...but purely fantasy.

Dante84
11-08-2014, 12:53 PM
we dont have the money for that.

ThaVirus
11-08-2014, 12:54 PM
I wouldn't want to sign Suh. He would cost too much. We'd have two high-contract guys on the defensive line alone with Houston and possibly Berry also commanding top dollar.

And that's not to mention the guys on the offensive side like Alex, Jamaal, Bowe and possibly Kelce in a few years.

ThaVirus
11-08-2014, 12:55 PM
What could you even get in a Bowe trade anyway? A 5th? Maybe?

Molitoth
11-08-2014, 01:01 PM
What could you even get in a Bowe trade anyway? A 5th? Maybe?

Nobody wants that.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_unt6OCTujXM/TTdbyRkNJfI/AAAAAAAAAxQ/dDGVwg_JfeM/s1600/1cheesee.png

RunKC
11-08-2014, 01:02 PM
OP needs to put Avery and Jenkins in his cut list. Both are expendable

DaneMcCloud
11-08-2014, 01:05 PM
I agree with most of what you've said, save for Bowe, Colquitt and Daniel. Colquitt is a weapon that I don't believe the Chiefs are willing give up at this point. For the Chiefs to cut Daniel, Murray would need to make a gigantic leap this offseason and another developmental QB would need to be drafted or signed to compete with Bray. Like it or not, Dwayne Bowe is the most accomplished receiver on this roster and while I expect a major overhaul next year, it would be dangerous for Alex Smith to go into the season with virtually five new WR's and a new TE.

One player you missed was Donnie Avery. I cannot envision a scenario in which Avery and his $3.6 million salary are on the 2015 roster. Same goes for Jenkins and his $1.3 cap number.

The salary cap is expected to jump another $10 million, to $140 million. The Chiefs should have a ton of cap space.

RunKC
11-08-2014, 01:08 PM
I agree with most of what you've said, save for Bowe, Colquitt and Daniel. Colquitt is a weapon that I don't believe the Chiefs are willing give up at this point. For the Chiefs to cut Daniel, Murray would need to make a gigantic leap this offseason and another developmental QB would need to be drafted or signed to compete with Bray. Like it or not, Dwayne Bowe is the most accomplished receiver on this roster and while I expect a major overhaul next year, it would be dangerous for Alex Smith to go into the season with virtually five new WR's and a new TE.

One player you missed was Donnie Avery. I cannot envision a scenario in which Avery and his $3.6 million salary are on the 2015 roster. Same goes for Jenkins and his $1.3 cap number.

The salary cap is expected to jump another $10 million, to $140 million. The Chiefs should have a ton of cap space.

Basically what my post was citing above. Bowe is an actual threat. You can probably use DAT next year to take some of Avery's reps.
Avery's hands piss me off.

Sandy Vagina
11-08-2014, 01:11 PM
Yeah, don't keep Avery or AJJ.

Probably best to not tie up huge money at DE, since KC needs to hand over a large contract to Poe in 2015-16.

DaneMcCloud
11-08-2014, 01:12 PM
Basically what my post was citing above. Bowe is an actual threat. You can probably use DAT next year to take some of Avery's reps.
Avery's hands piss me off.

I believe at DAT will be a starter at slot and WR in 2015 and may even get there before the end of 2014.

He's their DeSean Jackson, IMO.

DaneMcCloud
11-08-2014, 01:13 PM
Yeah, don't keep Avery or AJJ.

Probably best to not tie up huge money at DE, since KC needs to hand over a large contract to Poe in 2015-16.

The Chiefs would be wise to lock up Poe in 2015, as the cap is estimated to jump to $160 million in 2016. If they wait, Poe will want a significant portion of that increase, which will mean less for other players.

RealSNR
11-08-2014, 01:14 PM
Honestly, I'd try to restructure Bowe and Hali to deals that make sense and cut the rest of the guys on the list I included and replacing most with draft picks. Even keeping Hali and Bowe at their current cap numbers...this would clear up about 35 million in cap space.

I'm signing Houston, Bailey, Parker, maybe Mauga and definitely Hudson long term and taking whatever is left and bringing it to Ndamakon Suh.

Bailey
Poe
Suh

Hali/Ford
DJ
Mauga
Houston

Smith
Gaines
Cooper
Fleming
Berry
Abdullah
Parker
Donkey Kong wants JJ Watt money.

He won't get it, but some team is going to pay him more than we can afford.

Mr. Laz
11-08-2014, 01:18 PM
Who needs to keep any of those guys when Super Dorsey can just replace them with guys off the street?

Iconic
11-08-2014, 01:19 PM
Cut Devito, Daniels, Mays, Avery and restructure Hali/Bowe if possible.

Does Walker even play enough snaps to warrant 3.8?

We can let Owens go, resign everyone else, and fill the rest of the team with bottom barrel scrubs.

If we resign Berry that should free up a little cap space too right?

TimBone
11-08-2014, 01:21 PM
It's going to be really interesting to see what they decide to do with Berry. An extension would likely lessen his cap hit, but 8 could also see them letting him go completely with how Parker and Abdullah have been playing back there. I would guess his Berry's play the rest of the season will dictate management's decision.

The team is not cutting Colquitt.
Hopefully Hali agrees to a restructure. They need to keep him but not at the current price.

Dane is correct. I hate Bowe's cap number, and I'm honestly a bit tired of Bowe, but he's the only WR on this roster that demands even the slightest bit of respect from opponents. They can't let him go yet. I'd like to see him agree to less money, but I highly doubt it.

Cut the rest on the list that BossChief mentioned, plus Avery and Jenkins.

Draft a speedy WR early to start opposite Bowe.

I know it won't be popular, but I'd like to see some picks dedicated to solidifying the O-line as well.

RealSNR
11-08-2014, 01:21 PM
There's no way Jacksonville keeps all of those WRs with the dudes they've drafted recently.

Anybody want some Cecil Shorts? I think he might be the kind of player we could score for a reasonable deal and get some great production in this offense.

Depends on what we do with Bowe, obviously. But it basically boots Avery out the door.

DaneMcCloud
11-08-2014, 01:22 PM

Yes. From my understanding, Poe's snap count has gone from 100% to about 80%. That alone is huge, plus he plays DE as well.

It's a loooooooooong season and guys like Walker are certainly valuable assets.

We can let Owens go, resign everyone else, and fill the rest of the team with bottom barrel scrubs.

The only reason to cut Owens would be if they adequately replaced him. No reason, otherwise.

Resigning Berry should free up a little cap space too.

:Lin:

I know I'm in the minority but I'd rather get a third for Berry than pay him $8.1 million dollars. He just doesn't fit this scheme and unless he'll play for bargain money (which he won't), he's better off elsewhere.

ILChief
11-08-2014, 01:25 PM
Who needs to keep any of those guys when Super Dorsey can just replace them with guys off the street?

Well some of those guys are actually good. Unlike mccluster, Jackson, Asamoah, etc

RealSNR
11-08-2014, 01:26 PM
It's going to be really interesting to see what they decide to do with Berry. An extension would likely lessen his cap hit, but 8 could also see them letting him go completely with how Parker and Abdullah have been playing back there. I would guess his Berry's play the rest of the season will dictate management's decision.

The team is not cutting Colquitt.
Hopefully Hali agrees to a restructure. They need to keep him but not at the current price.

Dane is correct. I hate Bowe's cap number, and I'm honestly a bit tired of Bowe, but he's the only WR on this roster that demands even the slightest bit of respect from opponents. They can't let him go yet. I'd like to see him agree to less money, but I highly doubt it.

Cut the rest on the list that BossChief mentioned, plus Avery and Jenkins.

Draft a speedy WR early to start opposite Bowe.

I know it won't be popular, but I'd like to see some picks dedicated to solidifying the O-line as well.

From the 2nd round and on, Dorsey can spend as many picks as he wants on the offensive line.

But fuck a guard in the 1st round, and I really don't think we need a new RT. Yes, we should look to draft OT depth, but not in the 1st round, where you typically try to find immediate starters on your offensive line.

TimBone
11-08-2014, 01:27 PM
Cut Devito, Daniels, Mays, Avery and restructure Hali/Bowe if possible.

If we resign Berry that should free up a little cap space too right?
What is Owens cap number? I don't really want to see him go. He's played well in both run support and coverage. He's one of the more underrated acquisitions IMO.

TripleThreat
11-08-2014, 01:27 PM
obviously fulton and harris need to be considered about being resigned if our O-line can stay intact and playing at a high level. if either starts to fall off, cut them. OR sign them to low $ deals and if they don't like it? then cut them

I don't know what to say about Houston, obviously you always want to sign your best players to contracts so they want to play for a team that pays out, but look at teams like the Cowboys and Texans? They gave away the best pass rushers like Demarcus ware and Mario Williams and neither of those guys are producing at the level anyone thought they would.. I am not saying Houston isn't a good player but the coaches NOT ME need to evaluate how much of his awesomeness is coming from the players surrounding him and it just being totally him because his contract is going to be big in terms of $$ so if we make that deal, we need to be sure hes 100% the guy on defense.. Houston let go of Mario and they are doing fine with JJ and Jadaveon just saying

Offseason is huge imo for our offense. we didn't do jack shit this season in terms of signing players to improve our offense..

We need to surround our QB with great talent so there is zero excuses for our offense under performing in any areas more often than not.

QB Alex SMtih
WR Dwayne bowe
WR Free agent like Boldin/S.Smith/Wayne/Welker/Maclin
WR 1st round pick
TE Travis Kelce
TE Anthony Fasano
RB Jamall
RB Knile

That should be a great offense and superbowl caliber and zero excuses. With the above if we DONT sign Houston we need to shore up everything and make our defense unstoppable in the draft and FA.. realistically I think we only need to get a top notch WR in the draft a piece or two on D and then Draft away its that simple

Mav
11-08-2014, 01:28 PM
Well some of those guys are actually good. Unlike mccluster, Jackson, Asamoah, etc
I think it was just a compliment to Dorsey, and his ability to fill holes.

Iconic
11-08-2014, 01:31 PM
The only reason to cut Owens would be if they adequately replaced him. No reason, otherwise.

What is Owens cap number? I don't really want to see him go. He's played well in both run support and coverage. He's one of the more underrated acquisitions IMO.

Don't know why but I thought he was making way more than just 800k... Wow. Assuming Owens resigns on the cheap again I'm down.

DaneMcCloud
11-08-2014, 01:46 PM
Don't know why but I thought he was making way more than just 800k... Wow. Assuming Owens resigns on the cheap again I'm down.

Considering he's been unable to play for several games and there's no ETA for his return, I doubt he'll get any looks for anything other than league minimum.

Sorter
11-08-2014, 01:49 PM
I'd like to see Mauga re-signed.

I'd also like for Mauga to be benched for any games in which Daniel Day Lewis is present. Just avoid that scenario entirely.

Mr. Flopnuts
11-08-2014, 01:52 PM
For this offense, Colquitt is worth every penny he makes.

DaneMcCloud
11-08-2014, 01:52 PM
I'd like to see Mauga re-signed.

Absolutely, especially when you consider that DJ will be attempting a comeback at nearly 33 years old after tearing his Achilles.

Very few athletes have a successful return after that type of injury.

RunKC
11-08-2014, 01:54 PM
Wonder if they would bring in Jarrett Boykin? GB will let him go this offseason. Big possession WR to potentially replace Bowe in the future and shouldn't cost much

TimBone
11-08-2014, 01:55 PM
Absolutely, especially when you consider that DJ will be attempting a comeback at nearly 33 years old after tearing his Achilles.

Very few athletes have a successful return after that type of injury.
So, are you in favor of keeping Muaga and Mays? To have both in case DJ can't make a successful comeback?

Mays number is just so high for what he brings.

Easy 6
11-08-2014, 01:58 PM
Sad to say it, but I'm not holding my breath for DJ's return... its hard to see Dorsey keeping him after this.

penbrook
11-08-2014, 02:00 PM
Sad to say it, but I'm not holding my breath for DJ's return... its hard to see Dorsey keeping him after this.

He's a Free Agent in 2016

RunKC
11-08-2014, 02:01 PM
I don't think mays is worth it IMO. I want a strong, athletic LB DJ out of the draft.

RealSNR
11-08-2014, 02:02 PM
Wonder if they would bring in Jarrett Boykin? GB will let him go this offseason. Big possession WR to potentially replace Bowe in the future and shouldn't cost much

Meeehhhhhhh

TripleThreat
11-08-2014, 02:04 PM
what do u guys think about my offense roster for next year if we did that? improvements u think? explosive enough?

OldSchool
11-08-2014, 02:04 PM

Miami could let their own DT, Odrick, walk and sign Suh in his place.

I would take Odrick as a 5-tech at a much lower price over Suh at $90+ mil.

Iconic
11-08-2014, 02:10 PM
DJ is due around 5m next year. Thoughts on possibly letting him go? Maybe draft a replacement in the draft?

DaneMcCloud
11-08-2014, 02:11 PM
So, are you in favor of keeping Muaga and Mays? To have both in case DJ can't make a successful comeback?

Mays number is just so high for what he brings.

I don't know, because we haven't seen Mays in this defense. He has a reputation as a being a staunch player against the run that can also cover tight ends. He's also "supposedly" a leader on the field. The problem is that we've yet to see any of these qualities to date.

If he's all those things, paying $3 million for a very good NFL starter with a salary cap of $140 million, is certainly great value. But at this point, it's impossible to make any type of determination.

DaneMcCloud
11-08-2014, 02:13 PM
DJ is due around 5m next year. Thoughts on possibly letting him go? Maybe draft a replacement in the draft?

It all depends on his rehab.

If he's a freak of nature and can return to 95% of what he was before, I think the Chiefs will either honor his current contract or extend him (maybe like $12 million over three years or something similar).

But if he can't return to a high level of play, I would think that all options would be on the table.

chiefzilla1501
11-08-2014, 02:22 PM
Dorsey's MO doesn't seem to be paying big money for free agents. Reid doesn't seem to like bringing in new guys who might change the locker room chemistry.

The Chiefs can, should, and probably will focus on re-signing as many guys as possible. Don't expect many big free agents like Suh. 11 picks in the draft alone should already help bolster our team next season.

You can't look at next year's cap #. It's somewhat irrelevant. The important thing is the 2016 cap #. Which is why I praised Dorsey's cap management this year. This year was NOT the year to spend on free agents. Next year is an awesome chance to do it. How do you do it? Alex Smith's contract gives you a hint of exactly how that works. Sign the player to a huge signing bonus, pay him very little base salary in year 1, then start paying out his base salary in year 2. It's a way to structure a contract in a way that's favorable to both the team and the player, and it allows the team to take a very small cap hit in year 1.

If you want to get really creative, you can even defer the cap hit to year 3. If you fork over a huge signing bonus, then include a big year 3 roster bonus, it's basically a way to defer your cap hit in a way that "guarantees" the contract for the player while taking a low cap hit in years 1 and 2.

DaneMcCloud
11-08-2014, 02:27 PM
Dorsey's MO doesn't seem to be paying big money for free agents.

Then how do you explain $18 million over 3 years for Sean Smith and a similar contract offered to Emmanuel Sanders in 2014 along with Mike DeVito, Dunta Robinson, Vance Walker, Donnie Avery and Anthony Fasono's contracts, all of which were around the $4 million mark or more per year?

thabear04
11-08-2014, 02:28 PM

Raiders will if Lions let him go.

penbrook
11-08-2014, 02:38 PM
Joe Mays was just activated from the IR. He will play

Coochie liquor
11-08-2014, 02:53 PM
The Chiefs would be wise to lock up Poe in 2015, as the cap is estimated to jump to $160 million in 2016. If they wait, Poe will want a significant portion of that increase, which will mean less for other players.

Can't we use the 5th year option on Poe? Or does he not have that in his contract?

DaneMcCloud
11-08-2014, 03:01 PM
Can't we use the 5th year option on Poe? Or does he not have that in his contract?

I would imagine that it's in his contract but if they wait until the 2016 season or thereafter, they're taking a huge risk, IMO.

OldSchool
11-08-2014, 03:01 PM
Joe Mays was just activated from the IR. He will play

Good, should improve the run defense significantly.

TimBone
11-08-2014, 03:16 PM
From the 2nd round and on, Dorsey can spend as many picks as he wants on the offensive line.

But fuck a guard in the 1st round, and I really don't think we need a new RT. Yes, we should look to draft OT depth, but not in the 1st round, where you typically try to find immediate starters on your offensive line.
Yeah, no first round picks. Mcglynn(sp?) sucks balls and Allen isn't much better. Solidifying the O-line is imperative, but it can be done in mid rounds.

BossChief
11-08-2014, 03:17 PM

I've been one of Dwayne's supporters on here since the day he was drafted (I was thrilled with that pick) but in the WCO, you can't pay a WR 40 million dollars over the next 3 seasons (when he is already over the 30 mark) unless he is worth it in terms of wins and losses. At the halfway point this season, he still hasn't scored a TD. We can put that on Alex Smith or whatever, but for 13-14 million per year, we can probably get 2 equally as productive receivers and get change back.

Colquitt is a great player and will probably end up in the HOF. That said, he is a punter and with so many crucial positions needing new contracts, I think over drafting a replacement in the 6th would be wise. Saving 3.5 million per year and still getting a quality punter would go a longway toward being able keep them all.

BossChief
11-08-2014, 03:23 PM
Also, I think Avery is necessary unless we upgrade. When he is on the field, his speed gives the defense an element they need to respect that when he's not out there, allows more defenders within the first 15 yards.

Hopefully, we can upgrade at receiver where we can make him expendable, but for now, he isn't.

I think we will try to trade Daniel, but no way can we keep a backup quarterback on the books for 5 million when guys like Bailey, Houston and others have their hand out.

DaneMcCloud
11-08-2014, 03:26 PM
I've been one of Dwayne's supporters on here since the day he was drafted (I was thrilled with that pick) but in the WCO, you can't pay a WR 40 million dollars over the next 3 seasons (when he is already over the 30 mark) unless he is worth it in terms of wins and losses. At the halfway point this season, he still hasn't scored a TD. We can put that on Alex Smith or whatever, but for 13-14 million per year, we can probably get 2 equally as productive receivers and get change back.

I certainly agree but I think it puts Alex Smith in a very difficult situation because he'd likely only have two pass catchers in Kelce and DAT returning for 2015. With so much practice time cut from the recent CBA, I'm not sure if there will be enough time to create a chemistry with four new WR's and most likely, another tight end.

It would seem to me that it would be best to keep him through 2015, then evaluate their options.

Colquitt is a great player and will probably end up in the HOF. That said, he is a punter and with so many crucial positions needing new contracts, I think over drafting a replacement in the 6th would be wise. Saving 3.5 million per year and still getting a quality punter would go a longway toward being able keep them all.

I think that with a $10 million dollar cap increase coupled with the likely restructuring of Hali while slashing at least $8 million in payroll after releasing Avery, DeVito and Jenkins (not to mention Fasano's nearly $2 million dollar salary in 2015), they'll have plenty of space in order to retain Colquitt.

Unlike Ryan Succop, Colquitt's a special player that not easily replaced.

Sweet Daddy Hate
11-08-2014, 03:28 PM

Colquitt IS field position.

Easy 6
11-08-2014, 03:28 PM
Mcglynn(sp?) sucks

Spelled it wrong, its McGroin... and yeah, Allen can be upgraded as well, cant wait for this draft.

Should be the most exciting one of our fandom, theres literally all kinds of room for wheeling and dealing, its the draft that could and should put us over the top.

beach tribe
11-08-2014, 03:30 PM
So many picks.

Trade 1/2 for Mariota?

LET IT BEGIN!

Hi. I'm Earth. Have we met?

beach tribe
11-08-2014, 03:32 PM

I'm a big fan of Bowe, and think he can be a top flight guy.

He's just a bad fit for this offense and QB.

Sweet Daddy Hate
11-08-2014, 03:33 PM
Hi. I'm Earth. Have we met?

AGENDA 2015 HAS A NAME! LEARN IT!

http://gifsection.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/oregon-cheerleaders-against-nicholls-st.gif

DaneMcCloud
11-08-2014, 03:36 PM
Also, I think Avery is necessary unless we upgrade.

It's difficult to envision a scenario in which they don't upgrade the #2 WR spot (some would say, the #1 spot). They tried this past offseason with Sanders and I would think that with as many draft choices as they'll have in 2015, there will be a strong effort to upgrade this corp in the draft.

Easy 6
11-08-2014, 04:08 PM

We both predicted a career year for Dwayne, and I genuinely feel he's ready to do that... but you're right, the simple fact is, he doesnt seem to be clicking with Smith at all. Seems like Alex is basically forced to use him, not a natural chemistry situation at all.

But at the same time, it seems like dumping him and bringing in a whole new set of 2-3 starters is a bad idea... Bowe would be a stellar #2 and why waste these two years spent coaching him up in the WCO. I hope he's willing to renegotiate his deal, seems like the best bet for both sides IMO.

O.city
11-08-2014, 04:17 PM
We both predicted a career year for Dwayne, and I genuinely feel he's ready to do that... but you're right, the simple fact is, he doesnt seem to be clicking with Smith at all. Seems like Alex is basically forced to use him, not a natural chemistry situation at all.

But at the same time, it seems like dumping him and bringing in a whole new set of 2-3 starters is a bad idea... Bowe would be a stellar #2 and why waste these two years spent coaching him up in the WCO. I hope he's willing to renegotiate his deal, seems like the best bet for both sides IMO.

Since the 0-2 start, Bowe is averaging 4 catches for 60 yards per game. That's nearly 70 catches and 1000 yards for a year.

He's building as the year progresses

Easy 6
11-08-2014, 04:30 PM
Since the 0-2 start, Bowe is averaging 4 catches for 60 yards per game. That's nearly 70 catches and 1000 yards for a year.

He's building as the year progresses

Well, you make a good point there... what I like about the guy, is that there hasnt been nary a peep of frustration from him in spite of it all, 2-3 days ago he said something along the lines of "the touchdowns will come, I'm just glad to be contributing to these wins with third down grabs etc".

I knock him once in a while, but its only because I know what he's actually capable of... at the same time, Smith has to start trusting the guy more... you're probably right, it will be just like last year, Smith will start using him more as the schedule wears on, culminating in the huge production against Indy.

O.city
11-08-2014, 04:32 PM
He's getting a lot more targets now. Not worried about bowe in the least. Think he has a big finish to the season.

RunKC
11-08-2014, 04:37 PM
Get another sped receiver and kick Jenkins and Avery to the curb. Bowe is still a solid weapon.

Man. Can't wait to see this roster next season. Should be a fun offseason.

O.city
11-08-2014, 04:39 PM
I'd imagine one of Avery and Jenkins will still be here. For some reason, they like Jenkins alot, or atleast that's what they've said.

DaneMcCloud
11-08-2014, 04:45 PM
I'd imagine one of Avery and Jenkins will still be here. For some reason, they like Jenkins alot, or atleast that's what they've said.

In 2015? I'd give it a 5% chance that both on are on the roster next year.

Avery's not worth $4 million and Jenkins is in no way worth the $1.4 he's due. He's not even a vet minimum guy, IMO. He's a 5th or 6th on a bad team.

OldSchool
11-08-2014, 04:50 PM
Get another sped receiver and kick Jenkins and Avery to the curb. Bowe is still a solid weapon.

Man. Can't wait to see this roster next season. Should be a fun offseason.

How about just drafting a good all-around receiver with #1 potential?

All of the speed guys on the team lack aggressiveness, great ball skills, and elite body control. They also lack consistent hands.

Bowe lacks the ability to consistently catch the ball away from his body and lacks the speed and burst that he used to have. He's a solid #2 possession receiver at this point of his career.

Hemingway is slow as well and a dime a dozen in the league.

Titty Meat
11-08-2014, 05:01 PM
No offense but this team is in a playoff hunt why should I talk about next year?

O.city
11-08-2014, 05:08 PM
In 2015? I'd give it a 5% chance that both on are on the roster next year.

Avery's not worth $4 million and Jenkins is in no way worth the $1.4 he's due. He's not even a vet minimum guy, IMO. He's a 5th or 6th on a bad team.

They seem to like Jenkins for some reason, so I'd imagine they'll try and keep him around. Dunno why.

Quesadilla Joe
11-08-2014, 05:15 PM
and taking whatever is left and bringing it to Ndamakon Suh.

The Chiefs could sign two or three quality DB's for the price of Suh. The Chiefs secondary is well below average and ignoring the multiple holes there would be a major mistake.

TimBone
11-08-2014, 05:58 PM

Yeah...I agree. He doesn't fit with this offense or Smith. I think he only got his current contract because he had leverage when Dorsey and Reid showed up. They looked at the depth of the position and were almost forced to pay him. The sooner the Chiefs can get out from under that contract though, they need to do it.

TimBone
11-08-2014, 06:00 PM
No offense but this team is in a playoff hunt why should I talk about next year?
You don't have to.

BossChief
11-08-2014, 06:11 PM
I certainly agree but I think it puts Alex Smith in a very difficult situation because he'd likely only have two pass catchers in Kelce and DAT returning for 2015. With so much practice time cut from the recent CBA, I'm not sure if there will be enough time to create a chemistry with four new WR's and most likely, another tight end.

It would seem to me that it would be best to keep him through 2015, then evaluate their options.

I think that with a $10 million dollar cap increase coupled with the likely restructuring of Hali while slashing at least $8 million in payroll after releasing Avery, DeVito and Jenkins (not to mention Fasano's nearly $2 million dollar salary in 2015), they'll have plenty of space in order to retain Colquitt.

IMO Alex hasn't had chemistry with Bowe and still doesn't.

Alex wants to take ALL of the low hanging fruit and Bowe is that massive apple 2/3 up the tree. He is a lot more comfortable throwing to guys like Avery that are quick and maintain top end speed in and out of their breaks to gain separation. Bowe is a guy that catches most of the stuff thrown his way when covered, but Alex is risk averse. He doesn't like having to put the ball in tight spots and wants to throw to the open guy.

Bang for the buck wise, I can see the team keeping Avery at 4 million next year over Bowe at 14 million.

I think it's in Bowes best interest to renegotiate his deal because in free agency, he won't get a big deal with his age and tendency to make bad choices.

BossChief
11-08-2014, 06:15 PM
The Chiefs could sign two or three quality DB's for the price of Suh. The Chiefs secondary is well below average and ignoring the multiple holes there would be a major mistake.

This defense would be straight up historic with a DL of Suh, Bailey and Poe to pair with Houston, Hali, Ford and DJ.

Teams would be forced to single block half of those guys and we would über rape every OL in the NFL.

When we are trying to win a championship with a guy like Alex Smith as the QB, it's worth discussing paying top dollar to the trio of Poe, Houston and Suh.

JMO as I've always been an outside the box thinker.

BossChief
11-08-2014, 06:17 PM

I want to decide which players to emotionally detach from.

O.city
11-08-2014, 06:17 PM
Suh is gonna cost a shit ton and I wouldn't touch him.

DaneMcCloud
11-08-2014, 06:20 PM

Alex wants to take ALL of the low hanging fruit and Bowe is that massive apple 2/3 up the tree. He is a lot more comfortable throwing to guys like Avery that are quick and maintain top end speed in and out of their breaks to gain separation. Bowe is a guy that catches most of the stuff thrown his way when covered, but Alex is risk averse. He doesn't like having to put the ball in tight spots and wants to throw to the open guy.

Bang for the buck wise, I can see the team keeping Avery at 4 million next year over Bowe at 14 million.

I think it's in Bowes best interest to renegotiate his deal because in free agency, he won't get a big deal with his age and tendency to make bad choices.

The problem with Avery has always been injuries. He just hasn't shown the ability to stay healthy year in and year out and not only has that inability hurt the Chiefs this year, it really hurt them in the Indy playoff game.

I have a feeling there will be better options in free agency than paying a 31 year old receiver that can't stay healthy $4 million next year.

Easy 6
11-08-2014, 06:21 PM
This defense would be straight up historic with a DL of Suh, Bailey and Poe to pair with Houston, Hali, Ford and DJ.

Teams would be forced to single block half of those guys and we would über rape every OL in the NFL.

When we are trying to win a championship with a guy like Alex Smith as the QB, it's worth discussing paying top dollar to the trio of Poe, Houston and Suh.

JMO as I've always been an outside the box thinker.

Its definitely fun to think about, but I wouldnt hold my breath... Suh would ****ing bankrupt us, right.

I'm no capologist, but trying to fit him in sounds like disaster... Dorsey is great at finding support pieces on the sly, but not that good IMO.

OldSchool
11-08-2014, 06:22 PM

Gonna have to disagree with you. Who is Alex's go to receiver on 3rd downs or in crucial situations? He typically turns to Bowe.

There is plenty if chemistry between them, Bowe is pretty much the only WR that Smith would force the ball to in contested situations. The only thing that Smith doesn't do is force a high volume of passes to Bowe, he spreads the ball around to everyone and never locks on to any one guy.

O.city
11-08-2014, 06:25 PM
Bowe is getting a high volume going his way as the year wears on. 10 targets last week.

Sandy Vagina
11-08-2014, 06:34 PM
Gonna have to disagree with you. Who is Alex's go to receiver on 3rd downs or in crucial situations? He typically turns to Bowe.

There is plenty if chemistry between them, Bowe is pretty much the only WR that Smith would force the ball to in contested situations. The only thing that Smith doesn't do is force a high volume of passes to Bowe, he spreads the ball around to everyone and never locks on to any one guy.

QFT

Chemistry is going along pretty well. The problem is that Alex and Reid want to spread the ball around to several targets per game. With that alone in mind.. can they justify paying Bowe 14 mil per yr?

In an ideal scenario, KC finds a way to keep Bowe another year while also drafting a top WR in the draft.. maybe even one in rd 1 and another in rds 3 or 4. Rookie cheap contracts to help balance out Bowe's. Cut Avery and save that 3.5? mil. Cut Daniel and save 3.8 mil.. cut Devito and give that money to Bailey.. restructure or cut Hali loose.. which I hate.. but 11.9 mil? put that money towards a Houston contract after tagging him. DJ may have to go too...

BossChief
11-08-2014, 06:35 PM
Bowe is getting a high volume going his way as the year wears on. 10 targets last week.

No touchdowns and I don't think he has even had a 100 yard game yet.

I love Bowe, but no way can they pay him 14 million next year unless he is a 1200/10td guy for them.

O.city
11-08-2014, 06:40 PM
No touchdowns and I don't think he has even had a 100 yard game yet.

I love Bowe, but no way can they pay him 14 million next year unless he is a 1200/10td guy for them.

After the first 2 games, his average is on pace for 60 catches and 1000 yards.

That's been against good corners in which he's had good games against as well.

I don't think they'll pay him that, but he's having a solid year. Needs tds though

BossChief
11-08-2014, 06:43 PM
60 catches and 1000 yards is not worth 14 million

OldSchool
11-08-2014, 06:44 PM
QFT

Chemistry is going along pretty well. The problem is that Alex and Reid want to spread the ball around to several targets per game. With that alone in mind.. can they justify paying Bowe 14 mil per yr?

In an ideal scenario, KC finds a way to keep Bowe another year while also drafting a top WR in the draft.. maybe even one in rd 1 and another in rds 3 or 4. Rookie cheap contracts to help balance out Bowe's. Cut Avery and save that 3.5? mil. Cut Daniel and save 3.8 mil.. cut Devito and give that money to Bailey.. restructure or cut Hali loose.. which I hate.. but 11.9 mil? put that money towards a Houston contract after tagging him. DJ may have to go too...

I think that the only thing that Bowe needs to do is to maximize his opportunities, meaning no more wide open drops.

I don't think Bowe is anywhere close to the level where he needs to see the ball 10+ times a game in order for the team itself to be successful. Only guys like Julio Jones, Dez Bryant, AJ Green, Calvin Johnson, etc actually justify that kind of volume in terms of targets.

O.city
11-08-2014, 06:45 PM

Look at our offensive style though.

We aren't throwing it alot.

OldSchool
11-08-2014, 06:49 PM

For the type of receiver that Bowe is right now, he needs to have Larry Fitzgerald-like hands to justify the contract. That's where my problem with him lies.

BossChief
11-08-2014, 06:49 PM
Look at our offensive style though.

We aren't throwing it alot.

That's my point.

OldSchool
11-08-2014, 06:58 PM
That's my point.

Pretty sure that the lack of passing down the field has a lot more to do with them trying to develop the OL than anything else.

Reid learned a lot from his final year in Philly when he lost the majority of his starting OL. This is him adjusting to a young and unstable offensive line.

He's putting them into more comfortable situations and allowing them to build confidence by letting them to go on the attack with the run game, and he isn't asking them to do too much in pass pro by focusing on the short passing game, calling very few 5+ step drops.

It's because of the offensive line.

BossChief
11-08-2014, 07:32 PM
I'm not sure if you guys get it.

It doesn't matter if the reason is Alex Smiths propensity to throw safe, short routes or if it's the OLs struggles to pass protect for longer periods of time (it's a mixture of all of these and other reasons, as well) or not having the receivers on the roster that can get open deep.

The fact is in this offense with this set of players, Dwayne Bowe isn't worth his 14 million dollar cap hit next year...or his combined 40 million worth of cap hits the next 3 years combined. Especially being that he will be 31 next year.

He can be replaced for half (or less) of that amount and the rest can be redistributed to the players on this team that heavily impact wins and losses.

Would you rather have Dwayne Bowe or Emmanuel Sanders, Allen Bailey AND Rodney Hudson...because that's the kind of haul of players teams get with 14 million in cap space.

O.city
11-08-2014, 07:33 PM
Boss did you get my text?

And I agree he needs restructured

BossChief
11-08-2014, 07:41 PM
Just saw it. Had my phone charging while I'm posting...the little monster is in the bath and the bigger monster is watching tv.

TimBone
11-08-2014, 07:44 PM
I'm not sure if you guys get it.

It doesn't matter if the reason is Alex Smiths propensity to throw safe, short routes or if it's the OLs struggles to pass protect for longer periods of time (it's a mixture of all of these and other reasons, as well) or not having the receivers on the roster that can get open deep.

The fact is in this offense with this set of players, Dwayne Bowe isn't worth his 14 million dollar cap hit next year...or his combined 40 million worth of cap hits the next 3 years combined. Especially being that he will be 31 next year.

He can be replaced for half (or less) of that amount and the rest can be redistributed to the players on this team that heavily impact wins and losses.

Would you rather have Dwayne Bowe or Emmanuel Sanders, Allen Bailey AND Rodney Hudson...because that's the kind of haul of players teams get with 14 million in cap space.
This is what it boils down to and what I meant when I said he's not a fit for this teams offense.

BossChief just said it better.

BossChief
11-08-2014, 07:58 PM
Believe me...I hate typing those words because I'd like nothing more than for Bowe to restructure his deal and retire a chief in 2-3 years. He's a damn good receiver...just doesn't offer the bang for the buck we need from a contract eating up 10% of the teams cap.

Sandy Vagina
11-08-2014, 08:07 PM
Believe me...I hate typing those words because I'd like nothing more than for Bowe to restructure his deal and retire a chief in 2-3 years. He's a damn good receiver...just doesn't offer the bang for the buck we need from a contract eating up 10% of the teams cap.

I don't think many disagree. Truth is, it's a bit scary to imagine the 2015 WR corps once (assuming) Bowe is gone. Even with Bowe gone in this scenario, I would still want Avery off the roster. He also is not worth his cap hit.

So where does that leave things?

WR roster: (after Bowe/Avery/AJJ cut loose)

1. 1st rd rookie (Devante Parker, Jaelen Strong, Kevin White)
2. mystery FA veteran (Maclin?)
3. Albert Wilson?
4. 3rd rd rookie
5. Frankie Hammond (may as well for ERFA money)
6.?

BossChief
11-08-2014, 08:21 PM
Bowe really screwed himself badly by getting his last suspension.

Voiding all the guarantees in his deal really hurt his earning potential for the rest of his career.

Easy 6
11-08-2014, 08:42 PM
I don't think many disagree. Truth is, it's a bit scary to imagine the 2015 WR corps once (assuming) Bowe is gone. Even with Bowe gone in this scenario, I would still want Avery off the roster. He also is not worth his cap hit.

3. Albert Wilson?
4. 3rd rd rookie
6.?

To see it laid out like that is damn scary, and its also assuming we even go after and get a top free agent like Maclin and I wont hold my breath on him, dude chose the Eagles in a big way early on, he's a glamour queen.

So after that... 2 rookies, Hammond, Wilson, Avery, Jenkins? no ****ing way man... we have to have some semblance of continuity there, its gotta be Bowe at #2, but if he wants to play knuckleball then yes, start over, Reid aint skeered to do that.

TimBone
11-08-2014, 09:45 PM

3. Albert Wilson?
4. 3rd rd rookie
6.?
That's why I don't think Bowe is going anywhere. I just hope he's down for a restructure.

Shaid
11-08-2014, 09:47 PM
No way we are cutting Dustin Colquitt.

Could renegotiate him and extend him out a bit.

TimBone
11-08-2014, 09:50 PM
I'd be down. After all these years of him being the MVP, I'd like him to retire a Chief.

BossChief
11-08-2014, 09:54 PM

Unlikely. They just extended him last offseason.

BossChief
11-08-2014, 10:03 PM

Haha the chiefs secondary is well below average even though they have the top nfl pass defense?

Ok

milkman
11-08-2014, 10:27 PM
Yes. From my understanding, Poe's snap count has gone from 100% to about 80%. That alone is huge, plus he plays DE as well.

It's a loooooooooong season and guys like Walker are certainly valuable assets.

:Lin:

I know I'm in the minority but I'd rather get a third for Berry than pay him $8.1 million dollars. He just doesn't fit this scheme and unless he'll play for bargain money (which he won't), he's better off elsewhere.

This is the second time I've seen you post this, and no one ask or challenge this,

How, exactly, does Berry not fit this scheme?

BossChief
11-08-2014, 10:36 PM
Houston
Poe
Berry
Bowe

Pick 2

TimBone
11-08-2014, 10:38 PM
Houston
Poe
Berry
Bowe

Pick 2
Obviously Houston and Poe. They're the two youngest, and the two most important pieces. They provide the pressure to the QB.

TimBone
11-08-2014, 10:39 PM
If they don't find a way to pay Houston, I may go the way of Clay.

BossChief
11-08-2014, 10:44 PM
They will pay Houston...some may not like how they will go about it though because as it sits now, they can't afford Houston, Hudson or Bailey for next season without major cuts being made.

Sweet Daddy Hate
11-08-2014, 11:10 PM
That's why I don't think Bowe is going anywhere. I just hope he's down for a restructure.

Why even worry about receivers at all? If you look at where the yardage and scoring are coming from, just keep bringing in hybrid back-types with reliable hands.

If the team keeps Bowe, it won't be because he's the only legit receiver. It will be because they have leverage and because he wants to stay here.

At this point, I see Berry and DJ as the "easy pickins".

DJ for obvious reasons and Berry because he still has market value.

DaneMcCloud
11-08-2014, 11:22 PM
This is the second time I've seen you post this, and no one ask or challenge this,

How, exactly, does Berry not fit this scheme?

Berry is not a "One High" safety. While he might be somewhat effective at the position, paying him in excess of $10 million this year and $8.6 next year is a waste of resources.

The secondary has been better this year with Parker at one high than Berry last year.

Saccopoo
11-08-2014, 11:28 PM
Berry is not a "One High" safety. While he might be somewhat effective at the position, paying him in excess of $10 million this year and $8.6 next year is a waste of resources.

The secondary has been better this year with Parker at one high than Berry last year.

http://img.pandawhale.com/post-25584-Thats-a-Bingo-gif-vhCc.gif

Sweet Daddy Hate
11-08-2014, 11:45 PM
Oddly enough, I don't believe having Berry or DJ against the next round of Broncos would make that much of a difference.

Chiefshrink
11-08-2014, 11:52 PM
There's no way Jacksonville keeps all of those WRs with the dudes they've drafted recently.

Anybody want some Cecil Shorts? I think he might be the kind of player we could score for a reasonable deal and get some great production in this offense.

Depends on what we do with Bowe, obviously. But it basically boots Avery out the door.

I dig me some Cecil for sure:clap:

Chiefshrink
11-08-2014, 11:53 PM
Oddly enough, I don't believe having Berry or DJ against the next round of Broncos would make that much of a difference.

Agreed.

Direckshun
11-09-2014, 12:55 AM
obviously fulton and harris need to be considered about being resigned if our O-line can stay intact and playing at a high level. if either starts to fall off, cut them. OR sign them to low $ deals and if they don't like it? then cut them

I don't know what to say about Houston, obviously you always want to sign your best players to contracts so they want to play for a team that pays out, but look at teams like the Cowboys and Texans? They gave away the best pass rushers like Demarcus ware and Mario Williams and neither of those guys are producing at the level anyone thought they would.. I am not saying Houston isn't a good player but the coaches NOT ME need to evaluate how much of his awesomeness is coming from the players surrounding him and it just being totally him because his contract is going to be big in terms of $$ so if we make that deal, we need to be sure hes 100% the guy on defense.. Houston let go of Mario and they are doing fine with JJ and Jadaveon just saying

Offseason is huge imo for our offense. we didn't do jack shit this season in terms of signing players to improve our offense..

We need to surround our QB with great talent so there is zero excuses for our offense under performing in any areas more often than not.

QB Alex SMtih
WR Dwayne bowe
WR Free agent like Boldin/S.Smith/Wayne/Welker/Maclin
WR 1st round pick
TE Travis Kelce
TE Anthony Fasano
RB Jamall
RB Knile

That should be a great offense and superbowl caliber and zero excuses. With the above if we DONT sign Houston we need to shore up everything and make our defense unstoppable in the draft and FA.. realistically I think we only need to get a top notch WR in the draft a piece or two on D and then Draft away its that simple

what do u guys think about my offense roster for next year if we did that? improvements u think? explosive enough?

Since nobody's responded to you yet, I'm happy to respond to your earnest effort here.

We are most likely going to re-sign Hudson this offseason. If that's the case, then we're going to have Fisher, Hudson, and Fulton coming back next year, and you can expect second-year improvements from Fulton and Fisher. So this isn't a total OL reconstruction like this year's. The only spots that need upgrading are RT and LG, and we've got two very high draft picks at both positions under contract for next year. Our starting OL next year is set, and it will likely be better than what we have now.

That said, we will probably draft a swing tackle on the 2nd day to take over RT in 2016.

The Justin Houston process is going to be painful, but the Chiefs aren't letting him walk. They'll get him signed. Houston is critical to our success, and cannot be easily replaced, if he can be replaced at all.

I like the offense you've lined out, except of course that Fasano should be cut this offseason.

I think this offense is built to be very good for multiple seasons if we draft ONE stud WR in the first round, and possibly pick up a good contributing WR in free agency.

If that's the case, then you're going to have Alex Smith, both stud RBs, all three hypothetical WRs we've mentioned, Fisher, Hudson, and Fulton for MULTIPLE years under contract.

The promise there is very exciting.

Direckshun
11-09-2014, 01:30 AM
What I would do, since I know everybody is clamoring to find out:

Extend: Houston ($16m/year), Berry ($8m/year), Hudson ($4m/year), Bailey ($4m/year), Vickerson ($1.5m/year), Parker ($1.5m/year). Extend Mauga and Owens for whatever minimal deals you can.

Cut: Daniel, Jenkins, Fasano, DeVito, DJ

Extend Hali for 3 years if possible.

Sign Lance Kendricks from the Rams. Draft stud WR in the first round -- trade up to get him if you have to. Then draft BPA in the draft.

QB: Smith
RB: Charles, Davis
WR: Bowe, 1st rounder, Avery, Thomas
TE: Kelce, Kendricks
OL: Fisher, Allen, Hudson, Fulton, Stephenson

DL: Poe, Bailey, Vickerson, Howard, Catapano
ILB: Mauga/Mays/JMJ
OLB: Hali, Houston, Ford
CB: Smith, Gaines, Owens, Cooper
S: Berry, Abdullah, Parker, Commings

Direckshun
11-09-2014, 01:32 AM
That said, I struggle to see how this team keeps Parker.

The team wants to start Berry and Abdullah. Parker is going to get an offer to start somewhere.

Discuss Thrower
11-09-2014, 01:34 AM
That said, I struggle to see how this team keeps Parker.

The team wants to start Berry and Abdullah. Parker is going to get an offer to start somewhere.

Berry's gone bruh.

Direckshun
11-09-2014, 01:41 AM
Berry's gone bruh.

I really don't think so.

Sutton is a press man guy. The Chiefs are playing off man right now because of all the injuries and the demotion of Marcus Cooper.

Soon as they get back to full strength, and as soon as Gaines comes alive, they're going back to press man, and they're going to need safeties who can do a shit ton more.

Parker's good as a "team defender," to borrow a basketball term. Press man means you need your safeties to plug a lot of holes all over the field, and Berry's skillset for that is elite.

Especially if they let Hali go, the Chiefs are going to need to blitz more, and that's Berry's forte.

chiefzilla1501
11-09-2014, 03:50 AM
Then how do you explain $18 million over 3 years for Sean Smith and a similar contract offered to Emmanuel Sanders in 2014 along with Mike DeVito, Dunta Robinson, Vance Walker, Donnie Avery and Anthony Fasono's contracts, all of which were around the $4 million mark or more per year?
The first year to me read like an ultimatum from Clark hunt to make the team competitive fast. This season seems to match Dorseys philosophy more. A lot of free agents you mentioned above weren't all that expensive. Sure, i think they'll make some moves. I just don't expect them to be blockbuster moves. This year's strategy of building through the draft seems a lot more in line with ted Thompsons approach.

But the bigger point... Chiefs have a lot of big contracts in house they need to square away. Some are more obvious. Others, like Allen bailey, are going to be bigger than we anticipated.

chiefzilla1501
11-09-2014, 04:02 AM
Unlikely. They just extended him last offseason.
If his contract is voidable, isn't it in his best interest to extend into a contract that isn't? If so, you can keep bowe and convert the 14 mil into a signing bonus. That could save the Chiefs a good 14 mil.

Mav
11-09-2014, 04:27 AM
If his contract is voidable, isn't it in his best interest to extend into a contract that isn't? If so, you can keep bowe and convert the 14 mil into a signing bonus. That could save the Chiefs a good 14 mil.
From a business perspective, I think you void that contact. Id give him a 3 year deal loaded out of it's mind with incentives, and tell him to earn his money.

That's the business sense for a 30 year old receiver.

Direckshun
11-09-2014, 04:29 AM
The problem is, saving Clark Hunt $14m is different than spending it.

Cutting Bowe only frees up $5m for next year in cap room.

Mav
11-09-2014, 04:32 AM
The problem is, saving Clark Hunt $14m is different than spending it.

Cutting Bowe only frees up $5m for next year in cap room.
You don't have to cut him. Due to his suspension his contract becomes 100% voidable

Direckshun
11-09-2014, 04:45 AM
You don't have to cut him. Due to his suspension his contract becomes 100% voidable

I think that affects Bowe's and Clark's pockets. I've seen zero evidence that it affects his cap hit.

If you have it, I would love to see it. But I've searched and nothing turns up.

chiefzilla1501
11-09-2014, 04:52 AM
I think that affects Bowe's and Clark's pockets. I've seen zero evidence that it affects his cap hit.

I don't know either but I'll take a guess. I'm guessing if it's voidable, it takes the team off the hook for the cap hit. Technically, every contract is voidable as long as the team is willing to accept the dead money. For anyone to call out that this contract specifically is voidable leads me to believe that cutting his contract gets rid of the dead money. I don't know the answer to whether bowe would also have to pay back any unpaid signing bonus money since that's paid upfront. I'm guessing that's not the case.

Mav
11-09-2014, 04:55 AM

That's just coming off memory. I think that the easier find to how a voidable contract works might be Aaron Hernandez.

I dont think that if you are able to avoid a contract due to off the field issues that you would be accountable to the cap.

I would have to do more research than I have the time for today.

Direckshun
11-09-2014, 04:58 AM
This is also an educated guess, but I don't think that is (or should be) the case.

First off, I've seen NOTHING on the internet that confirms that, and something tells me if there were fire to that smoke, we'd have seen it eons ago.

Second off, what's to stop a team from weaseling out of an absurd amount of guaranteed money by setting up an athlete with some contract-voiding behavior, such as planting drugs on a player or giving him PEDs without him knowing?

If that's the case, the team would still have the ability to keep the player at their discretion, but also have all the leverage to part ways with him at a moment's notice.

I know it's conspiracy thinking, but it's a billion dollar industry that's been willing to lie about brain concussions and keeps 87% of the revenue of the breast cancer apparel they sell. In that universe, what is ethical to do and what is legal to do are two completely different things.

Mav
11-09-2014, 05:34 AM
This is also an educated guess, but I don't think that is (or should be) the case.

First off, I've seen NOTHING on the internet that confirms that, and something tells me if there were fire to that smoke, we'd have seen it eons ago.

Second off, what's to stop a team from weaseling out of an absurd amount of guaranteed money by setting up an athlete with some contract-voiding behavior, such as planting drugs on a player or giving him PEDs without him knowing?

If that's the case, the team would still have the ability to keep the player at their discretion, but also have all the leverage to part ways with him at a moment's notice.

I know it's conspiracy thinking, but it's a billion dollar industry that's been willing to lie about brain concussions and keeps 87% of the revenue of the breast cancer apparel they sell. In that universe, what is ethical to do and what is legal to do are two completely different things.

Not every contract is written in the same way. Being a Vet, I know this first hand. When asking questions, I can recall several times hearing, 'whats in your contract." Obviously we aren't priviledged to that info. I guess while this is all some joe schmoes bullshitting on a message board that the truth is that we will know after the season.

Direckshun
11-09-2014, 05:37 AM
Not every contract is written in the same way. Being a Vet, I know this first hand. When asking questions, I can recall several times hearing, 'whats in your contract." Obviously we aren't priviledged to that info. I guess while this is all some joe schmoes bullshitting on a message board that the truth is that we will know after the season.

Very true. This is all just educated guesses from passionate laymen.

Let me ask: have we EVER heard of a player's contract shrinking to a zero cap hit for a suspension? Can't think of a single time I've ever seen it.

Mav
11-09-2014, 05:39 AM
Very true. This is all just educated guesses from passionate laymen.

Let me ask: have we EVER heard of a player's contract shrinking to a zero cap hit for a suspension? Can't think of a single time I've ever seen it.

Off the top of my head? No, but I would have to do some research on guys like Plaxico Burress, Aaron Hernandez, and Michael Vick.

I think it is all in the language.

chiefzilla1501
11-09-2014, 08:03 AM

I would bet it can happen if the player knows he's going to get a huge pay increase in order to have that put on there. Revis didn't have a voidable contract in new York. But for some reason, he accepted a really bad contract with no signing bonus which made him a cut target every single year.

So I'm curious what this means too. Bowe can be cut today by the Chiefs, whether the contract is voidable or not. The Chiefs wouldn't want to do it because of the dead money. I wonder if the report was badly worded and it meant to say that all guaranteed base salary was voidable. Which again, means nothing since bowe only has guaranteed base, I think, in years where he's uncuttable.

Rausch
11-09-2014, 08:06 AM
I don't know why people think Hali's going to take over a 50% pay cut to stay here. It's not going to happen.

He might be willing to take a pay cut but nothing that drastic...

Sweet Daddy Hate
11-09-2014, 08:17 AM
I don't know why people think Hali's going to take over a 50% pay cut to stay here. It's not going to happen.

He won't. And Dee Ford is nowhere NEAR ready to take his place.

Hali is staying.

Houston is staying.

Bowe, Berry, and DJ are on the merry-go-round.

Each one of those guys, for different reasons, should be concerned about their futures in KC.

Direckshun
11-09-2014, 08:22 AM

Only thing I can think of, is that we offer him more guaranteed money over the course of several seasons. I know I'd probably prefer $20m in guaranteed money over three years than $14m over one year.

It's a hard fit, but maybe they pull it off.

Mav
11-09-2014, 08:22 AM

Hali is staying.

Houston is staying.

Each one of those guys, for different reasons, should be concerned about their futures in KC.

I googled the thing in your sig, and it told me, fuck you, the browns have yet to play in a super bowl, quit crying.

Im just saying lol.

Jk love you!!!

Sweet Daddy Hate
11-09-2014, 08:44 AM
I googled the thing in your sig, and it told me, fuck you, the browns have yet to play in a super bowl, quit crying.

Im just saying lol.

Jk love you!!!

LMAO

Yeah, but you're the Browns, so that doesn't count. :p

J Diddy
11-09-2014, 08:48 AM

Hali is staying.

Houston is staying.

I disagree with your assessment. I think Hali is gone. Bowe, Berry and DJ, I think are gone as well. Ford has to be ready by next season regardless.

chiefzilla1501
11-09-2014, 09:42 AM

The Chiefs have leverage next season with Hali they didn't have this year.

Basically, the Chiefs can cut him at any time and therefore, Hali would lose out on $12M. So on the Chiefs' side, they're going to negotiate a contract where they can turn that $12M into a signing bonus. On Hali's side, he's going to want to negotiate a contract that overpays him a few years from now.

The Chiefs have a bit of leverage here. I personally think the Chiefs should just overpay Hali next year and then just cut him afterward. Unless they somehow convince him to take a friendly final contract but I doubt Hali would do that since he'll have plenty of suitors.

chiefzilla1501
11-09-2014, 09:44 AM
I disagree with your assessment. I think Hali is gone. Bowe, Berry and DJ, I think are gone as well. Ford has to be ready by next season regardless.

I can't see any reason to cut DJ. He's still cheap, as far as ILBs go. Pioli sucked in a lot of ways, but he somehow strong-armed some really cap friendly contracts.

Sweet Daddy Hate
11-09-2014, 12:12 PM

I don't see it.

Meanwhile, 'Pro Bowl' just laid one down.

milkman
11-09-2014, 01:41 PM

So a handful of snaps at a position that hadn't practiced or played is enough to draw that conclusion for you.

You're a football genius.

And sacodumbshit, the Sulton of Stupidity, supports that opinion, so you got that going for you.

BossChief
11-10-2014, 09:58 AM
I think Berry has the tools to be a game breaking single high safety.

Omaha
11-10-2014, 10:02 AM

Bailey
Poe
Suh

Hali/Ford
DJ
Mauga
Houston

Smith
Gaines
Cooper
Fleming
Berry
Abdullah
Parker

FUCK NO!!!!!

DaneMcCloud
11-10-2014, 10:09 AM
So a handful of snaps at a position that hadn't practiced or played is enough to draw that conclusion for you.

You're a football genius.

And sacodumbshit, the Sulton of Stupidity, supports that opinion, so you got that going for you.

It's nice to see your form is unchanged over the years.

Good call on Trestman, BTW.

mcaj22
11-10-2014, 10:28 AM
What I would do, since I know everybody is clamoring to find out:

Extend: Houston ($16m/year), Berry ($8m/year), Hudson ($4m/year), Bailey ($4m/year), Vickerson ($1.5m/year), Parker ($1.5m/year). Extend Mauga and Owens for whatever minimal deals you can.

Cut: Daniel, Jenkins, Fasano, DeVito, DJ

Extend Hali for 3 years if possible.

Sign Lance Kendricks from the Rams. Draft stud WR in the first round -- trade up to get him if you have to. Then draft BPA in the draft.

QB: Smith
RB: Charles, Davis
WR: Bowe, 1st rounder, Avery, Thomas
TE: Kelce, Kendricks
OL: Fisher, Allen, Hudson, Fulton, Stephenson

DL: Poe, Bailey, Vickerson, Howard, Catapano
ILB: Mauga/Mays/JMJ
OLB: Hali, Houston, Ford
CB: Smith, Gaines, Owens, Cooper
S: Berry, Abdullah, Parker, Commings

What planet are you getting Bailey and Hudson that cheap?

the market just paid 5 million per for Tyson Jackson and Jon Asoah and Bailey and Hudson are 10x better, and youre going to get them for less?!? Cause why? Hometown discount? Chiefs loyalty? This isnt 1993. Those guys are going to get more than 4 million

stop downplaying our talent. they will get paid whether the Chiefs pony up or not.

mszymko
11-10-2014, 11:25 AM
Random thoughts:

I think franchise tag is inevitable for Houston. Would love to move on from Bowe's contract but he's the only WR we have and even if you draft one or two WRs you'll still need a solid vet to round out the WR core so I don't think we let Bowe go unless we can replace him with a FA. What FA would we be able to entice to come to KC that will be better than Bowe for less money? Would love Reid to reconnect with Maclin but that's not going to happen and would cost more than Bowe. I HOPE DJ can come back but I doubt it. We drafted Hali's replacement for a reason and although I pray we bring him back the writings on the wall. Parker is playing great! ...not sure what that means for Berry's future in KC?

I'd love to see us make some cap room and bring in one or two high-end FAs, a difference making WR would be top of my list. Would also love to see us package picks to move up and grab some top quality rookies rather than drat 11 so-so guys. Could see us packaging picks plus hali, berry or bowe to move up.

Ultimately, I think one of these guys will be gone next year: Hali, Bowe, Berry. Which would you prefer to lose if you had to choose?

...My initial reaction would be Bowe, but without him we have zero receivers. Feels like we're already poised to let Hali walk but I hate that plan and don't feel Ford can fill his shoes. The best option, unfortunately, might be to move Berry in a trade.

Direckshun
11-10-2014, 11:33 AM

the market just paid 5 million per for Tyson Jackson and Jon Asoah and Bailey and Hudson are 10x better, and youre going to get them for less?!? Cause why? Hometown discount? Chiefs loyalty? This isnt 1993. Those guys are going to get more than 4 million

stop downplaying our talent. they will get paid whether the Chiefs pony up or not.

I think I may have underpaid Bailey, but Hudson? He's good, he's not Pro Bowl caliber.

What're they going for, in your opinion? Don't tell me what they're NOT going for. Tell me what they're going for.

mcaj22
11-10-2014, 11:42 AM
I think I may have underpaid Bailey, but Hudson? He's good, he's not Pro Bowl caliber.

What're they going for, in your opinion? Don't tell me what they're NOT going for. Tell me what they're going for.

I honestly dont know. What I do know is this time last year this very same arguement was happening to keep Geoff Schwartz at a minimum cause he was a journeyman playing well for us and we assumed no other NFL FO was watching. People thought we were keeping McCluster cheap too and were left holding their tongue on the floor when he signed with the awful Titans at midnight for the price he did.

Teams are watching our talent for a chance to poach them cause they know our cap cant keep everyone. Teams will try and out-price us for our players, just like last free agency

I think this time Dorsey has to make the room to keep Hudson, Bailey. I dont put them in the Jackson, McCluster, Scwartz tier. I think they are key talents for us. Dorsey has to start giving some homegrown talent 2nd contracts around here.

RealSNR
11-10-2014, 11:44 AM

Im just saying lol.

Jk love you!!!

I don't see any feel-good draft nerdery-meets-chick-flick movies about the Chiefs getting put out there.

Direckshun
11-10-2014, 11:45 AM
I honestly dont know.

Now that's what I call constructive criticism.

Direckshun
11-10-2014, 11:47 AM
I don't see any feel-good draft nerdery-meets-chick-flick movies about the Chiefs getting put out there.

Let's get a Kickstarter going.

RealSNR
11-10-2014, 11:50 AM
We have to keep Bailey.

He's the best DE we've had since the team switched to the 3-4.

The dude pressures the QB. He makes plays in the running game. He's also pretty smart and rarely runs himself out of the play.

We've only ever had run-stuffing guys like DeVito and Glenn Dorsey (and now Vickerson) play that position. Allen Bailey is what I'm sure Pioli was envisioning when he took Tyson Jackson.

Keep Bailey. For the love of God, keep him here.

mcaj22
11-10-2014, 11:56 AM
Now that's what I call constructive criticism.

Youre asking me to predict the overrated FA of the NFL which is impossible as the money and cap increases and mediocre players get overpaid in FA.

everythings inflated worth in the NFL now just like NBA players.

Direckshun
11-10-2014, 11:57 AM
We have to keep Bailey.

He's the best DE we've had since the team switched to the 3-4.

The dude pressures the QB. He makes plays in the running game. He's also pretty smart and rarely runs himself out of the play.

We've only ever had run-stuffing guys like DeVito and Glenn Dorsey (and now Vickerson) play that position. Allen Bailey is what I'm sure Pioli was envisioning when he took Tyson Jackson.

Keep Bailey. For the love of God, keep him here.

Let's get a Kickstarter going. LMAO

Direckshun
11-10-2014, 11:59 AM
Youre asking me to predict the overrated FA of the NFL which is impossible as the money and cap increases and mediocre players get overpaid in FA.

everythings inflated worth in the NFL now just like NBA players.

You're asking me to do the same thing, when you criticize my best guesses. The fact that you have no idea yourself is just icing on the cake.

I'm in favor of keeping both players. I'm taking educated guesses as to what their talents will demand.

Rodney Hudson is not a Pro Bowl center, but he is good at the position with room to grow. I'd put that at $4m/year.

Bailey, I honestly have no idea. You've got one year of production, occasional struggles against the run, excellent passrushing. I don't know what he goes for. But I'm open to suggestions.

Mr. Laz
11-10-2014, 12:00 PM
J.J. Watt money goes to Justin Houston or Ndamukong Suh?

Chief Roundup
11-10-2014, 12:05 PM

A couple of thoughts.
Let us not forget that Tyson Jackson and Jon Asamoah were signed in Atlanta by Scott Pioli, who drafted them and overpaid both of them for what they had shown here.
I don't think Hudson is going to do much better than 4 to 5 mil a year. He is not Nick Mangold, Pouncey, or Mack type to get much more than that.
I question the amount of $ that Dorsey is willing to invest in the OL so I am not sure that the Chiefs would spend that much let alone more on a Center.

mcaj22
11-10-2014, 12:06 PM
You're asking me to do the same thing, when you criticize my best guesses. The fact that you have no idea yourself is just icing on the cake.

I'm in favor of keeping both players. I'm taking educated guesses as to what their talents will demand.

Rodney Hudson is not a Pro Bowl center, but he is good at the position with room to grow. I'd put that at $4m/year.

Bailey, I honestly have no idea. You've got one year of production, occasional struggles against the run, excellent passrushing. I don't know what he goes for. But I'm open to suggestions.

they are at least 5-6-7 mil per players

30-35 million contracts for both easily

if Tyson Jackson gets 25 and Asamoah gets 20, tack on 5 million for another year of the cap and inflation and that about right

theyre not getting less than 25 million a piece. No way. Players in their prime arent getting cheaper.

Direckshun
11-10-2014, 12:07 PM
they are at least 5-6-7 mil per players

30-35 million contracts for both easily

if Tyson Jackson gets 25 and Asamoah gets 20, tack on 5 million for another year of the cap and inflation and that about right

theyre not getting less than 25 million a piece. No way. Players in their prime arent getting cheaper.

Fair enough.

Welcome aboard.

mcaj22
11-10-2014, 12:11 PM
A couple of thoughts.
Let us not forget that Tyson Jackson and Jon Asamoah were signed in Atlanta by Scott Pioli, who drafted them and overpaid both of them for what they had shown here.
I don't think Hudson is going to do much better than 4 to 5 mil a year. He is not Nick Mangold, Pouncey, or Mack type to get much more than that.
I question the amount of $ that Dorsey is willing to invest in the OL so I am not sure that the Chiefs would spend that much let alone more on a Center.

Hudson and Bailey are also Pioli picks

some of his better ones at that. Everyone knows this. The Chiefs arent hiding talent that other FOs arent watching or dont know about. These players will be on other teams radars. Chiefs will have plenty of competition.

chiefzilla1501
11-10-2014, 12:12 PM
I really can't see the Chiefs cutting many of their own guys. Reid already commented that it's hard to judge whether a free agent will have chemistry with the team and that they often come with some baggage. Hali is one I worry about.

More importantly... Dorsey has given his specific reasons that explain why they got rid of Albert, flowers, and Tyson Jackson. Sadly, I think that could put the writing on the wall for Hali but we will see. I think they keep berry, poe, bailey because they seem to represent scheme things Dorsey is looking for.

I think Dorsey got over eager on Fisher and Ford. But at least we know it was a decision based on skill sets and scheme versus money.

Chief Roundup
11-10-2014, 12:20 PM
Hudson and Bailey are also Pioli picks

some of his better ones at that. Everyone knows this. The Chiefs arent hiding talent that other FOs arent watching or dont know about. These players will be on other teams radars. Chiefs will have plenty of competition.

I am not devaluing our current or ex players. Tyson Jackson was not very good. He did become serviceable at the end of his contract here. Asamoah did not fit the OL system for whatever reason and did not play well here at the end of his contract. Both of those types of players are easily replaceable.
I agree with everyone that we need to keep Bailey.
I am not sold on the fact that Dorsey will invest those type of cap dollars, 5 to 7 mil for Hudson. Another team may offer him that. I just don't think that Dorsey will match or make that kind of an offer to Hudson. We may need that money to resign Bailey and Houston, which are both more important that Hudson.

O.city
11-12-2014, 02:40 PM
Think you can move on from the Suh hopes, Mort just said on Insiders that the baseline for signing him will start with the Watt contract.

Yikes.

Easy 6
11-12-2014, 02:44 PM
Think you can move on from the Suh hopes, Mort just said on Insiders that the baseline for signing him will start with the Watt contract.

Yikes.

It was fun to think about him and Poe together, it would be unreal, better than a Madden game... but that was some real pie in the sky dreaming anyway.

O.city
11-12-2014, 02:48 PM
If I were going to give huge money like that to a FA, it woudln't be to Suh. It would be to Dez.

chiefzilla1501
11-12-2014, 03:03 PM
I am not devaluing our current or ex players. Tyson Jackson was not very good. He did become serviceable at the end of his contract here. Asamoah did not fit the OL system for whatever reason and did not play well here at the end of his contract. Both of those types of players are easily replaceable.
I agree with everyone that we need to keep Bailey.
I am not sold on the fact that Dorsey will invest those type of cap dollars, 5 to 7 mil for Hudson. Another team may offer him that. I just don't think that Dorsey will match or make that kind of an offer to Hudson. We may need that money to resign Bailey and Houston, which are both more important that Hudson.
Dorsey explained why we didn't keep Tyson Jackson or Albert. It's scheme. Probably true for flowers too. We may not agree with the reason, but it's there. I don't know about asamoah... Given reids preference for power blocking, I would bet that played a part.

Reid is a big fan of keeping his guys. Many of these guys we are now talking about are now Reid guys, and they fit into the system and scheme. I think this year's conversation on free agents will be very different.

DaneMcCloud
11-12-2014, 03:08 PM
Given reids preference for power blocking, I would bet that played a part.

:facepalm:

The Chiefs have been running a ZBS exclusively since returning from 2013's Bye week.

Asamoah sucked. He was twice beaten out by street free agents and it's clear that Atlanta way overpaid for his services, as did NY for Schwartz.

OldSchool
11-12-2014, 03:13 PM
If I were going to give huge money like that to a FA, it woudln't be to Suh. It would be to Dez.

Why? So he can blow up when Smith isn't throwing the ball to him in double coverage?

chiefzilla1501
11-12-2014, 03:14 PM
:facepalm:

The Chiefs have been running a ZBS exclusively since returning from 2013's Bye week.

Asamoah sucked. He was twice beaten out by street free agents and it's clear that Atlanta way overpaid for his services, as did NY for Schwartz.
Sorry, yes. Wrote that quickly. Not power blocking. Reid and Dorsey seem to like some beef in the middle, long arms at the tackles.

Pretty much every center or guard Reid and Dorsey brought in is about 315 lbs. Asamoah didn't seem to be a good fit.

Direckshun
11-12-2014, 03:19 PM
I honestly wonder if Dorsey does have a "type" at guard.

That's the one position he's been really inconsistent at. Every other position you can stereotype here or there.

But Fulton, LDT, Linkenbach, Schwartz, McGlynn... that's a lot of variance to have at one position. I can't think of any one thing they all have in common.

chiefzilla1501
11-12-2014, 04:10 PM
I honestly wonder if Dorsey does have a "type" at guard.

That's the one position he's been really inconsistent at. Every other position you can stereotype here or there.

But Fulton, LDT, Linkenbach, Schwartz, McGlynn... that's a lot of variance to have at one position. I can't think of any one thing they all have in common.
Haha. I can think 9f one thing. They all. Suck.

milkman
11-12-2014, 05:22 PM
It's nice to see your form is unchanged over the years.

Good call on Trestman, BTW.

Nice deflection, dumbass.

Trestman is saddled with a loser QB that turns the ball over more than you post stupid shit, and a craptastic defense.

I was intrigued with Trestman as a coaching candidate, but he took a no win job.

That team is going to suck as long as Phil Emory and Jay Cutler are there.

Mav
11-12-2014, 05:26 PM
Nice deflection, dumbass.

Trestman is saddled with a loser QB that turns the ball over more than you post stupid shit, and a craptastic defense.

I was intrigued with Trestman as a coaching candidate, but he took a no win job.

That team is going to suck as long as Phil Emory and Jay Cutler are there.
I do wonder how different that team is with mccown at qb

milkman
11-12-2014, 05:40 PM
I do wonder how different that team is with mccown at qb

More and more, team's personalities reflect their QB rather than their coach.

The Chiefs have become a resilient, tough minded team, and that's Alex Smith, whatever else you might think of him.
This is, without question, Smith's team.

Jay Cutler is a loser, a quitter, with no heart.
That's the Bears in a nutshell.

Easy 6
11-12-2014, 06:22 PM
More and more, team's personalities reflect their QB rather than their coach.

The Chiefs have become a resilient, tough minded team, and that's Alex Smith, whatever else you might think of him.
This is, without question, Smith's team.

Jay Cutler is a loser, a quitter, with no heart.
That's the Bears in a nutshell.

:thumb:

"Sooooooooooooooooooo dont care"

Easy 6
11-12-2014, 06:25 PM
Haha. I can think 9f one thing. They all. Suck.

LMAO I was wondering if someone was going to beat me to it.

ILChief
11-12-2014, 07:27 PM
Crabtree looks to be done in SF after this year. That would be a good pickup

O.city
11-12-2014, 07:36 PM
Crabtree is Bowe. I'd rather look at a Cobb type player.

Or Maclin

ILChief
11-12-2014, 07:37 PM
Crabtree is Bowe. I'd rather look at a Cobb type player.

Or Maclin

I doubt either one of those players leave their team

O.city
11-12-2014, 07:38 PM
I doubt either one of those players leave their team

Probably not, just that's the type of wr I'd rather have.

OldSchool
11-12-2014, 07:43 PM
Cecil Shorts if the bastard can stay healthy. He always seems to be banged up though.

O.city
11-12-2014, 07:48 PM
http://www.spotrac.com/free-agents/nfl/

Free agency will be nuts this year.

I'd look at og, wr, and corner.

Chris Harris would be great.

O.city
11-12-2014, 07:53 PM
If Witherspoon could stay healthy, he'd be a good buy low type guy to play in th middle.

Iupati would be my big buy

OldSchool
11-12-2014, 07:56 PM
http://www.spotrac.com/free-agents/nfl/

Free agency will be nuts this year.

I'd look at og, wr, and corner.

Chris Harris would be great.

Harris is already working on an extension with Denver.

penbrook
11-12-2014, 07:59 PM
If Witherspoon could stay healthy, he'd be a good buy low type guy to play in th middle.

Iupati would be my big buy

DJ is coming back

OldSchool
11-12-2014, 08:02 PM
DJ is coming back

At what capacity? He'll probably be around 80% with that achilles injury. Will he have the same explosive ability?

What if SF releases Patrick Willis? He has a $8 mil cap hit in 2015 and would count for only $800k in dead money. It's a very real possibility considering they just put him on season ending IR. With the play of their rookie Chris Borland and backup Wilhoite along with Bowman coming back next year. It's a very real possibility that they release Willis in order to make room for extensions for their other players.

Would you drop some cash on Willis?

O.city
11-12-2014, 08:03 PM
DJ has been great here, but I'd probably look to move on.

penbrook
11-12-2014, 08:05 PM
At what capacity? He'll probably be around 80% with that achilles injury. Will he have the same explosive ability?

80% of DJ is still in the top 10 of ILB

penbrook
11-12-2014, 08:06 PM
DJ has been great here, but I'd probably look to move on.

I wouldn't. He's in his contract year next year. I say let him play out next gear and if he's the DJ of old re sign him if not look elsewhere

O.city
11-12-2014, 08:23 PM
He's coming off an Achilles injury

bigjosh
11-12-2014, 08:26 PM
He's coming off an Achilles injury

Everyone was saying the same thing about kelce after his micro fracture surgery . Just give it time

O.city
11-12-2014, 08:28 PM
Everyone was saying the same thing about kelce after his micro fracture surgery . Just give it time

Kelce doesn't have 8 years of professional football on his body. He's 25.

OldSchool
11-12-2014, 08:30 PM

How many 30+ year old football players have returned to the same form the season after suffering a torn achilles?

OldSchool
11-12-2014, 08:35 PM
Here is an article, not about DJ, regarding a ruptured achilles injury for pro-football players. In this case, it was Jason Peters.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/03/31/typical-time-of-return-from-ruptured-achilles-is-11-months/

In the 24 hours since the Eagles announced that left tackle Jason Peters suffered a ruptured Achilles tendon, there’s been plenty of speculation about whether he’ll be able to play in 2012. It’s too early to say what the prognosis is for Peters, who will undergo surgery on Tuesday. But if Peters is like the typical NFL player who suffers a ruptured Achilles, he won’t see the field until 2013.

Dr. Mark Schwartz provided some bad news for Eagles fans to CSNPhilly.com, calling a ruptured Achilles tendon a career-threatening injury, and saying that if Peters has the typical time of recovery, he wouldn’t be able to play football again until at least a month after next year’s Super Bowl.

“Of those who did return back, the average length of recovery was almost 11 months prior to returning, with a [minimum] of seven months,” Schwartz said. “[Of] those who did get back, there was a decrease . . . in their ability to perform on the field. So this is a significant injury to a player in the NFL, especially an offensive lineman who weighs 330 pounds and relies on the explosiveness of his legs and his feet.”

Schwartz said about one-third of NFL players who suffered ruptured Achilles tendons never played in the NFL again, although it’s possible that many of those were marginal players who weren’t good enough to make a roster, or older players who decided to retire rather than go through the grueling rehab needed to get back on the field after such a serious injury. Peters is a Pro Bowler who from all accounts will be ready, willing and able to rehab himself, but that’s going to take significant time.

Several NFL players suffered ruptured Achilles tendons during training camp and the 2012 regular season. Bengals cornerback Leon Hall suffered a ruptured Achilles in November; if he needs the typical 11 month recovery time he’d miss about the first five games of the 2012 regular season. Buccaneers running back Earnest Graham suffered the injury in late October; at 11 months he’d be expected to miss the first three games of 2012. Panthers linebacker Jon Beason suffered the injury at the start of the regular season, so he’d likely be ready to go for the preseason. Lions running back Mikel LeShoure suffered the injury at the start of training camp and is expected to be at full speed for training camp this year.

That was just a few years ago, I doubt that much has changed in the medical field since then. So you're looking at 11 months before he can get back to playing football.

penbrook
11-12-2014, 09:02 PM
Oh yea and how is Jason peters now. One of the best LT in the league

OldSchool
11-12-2014, 09:04 PM
Oh yea and how is Jason peters now. One of the best LT in the league

And does Peters rely on speed and explosiveness like DJ does? Better comparison would be Jon Beason.

Easy 6
11-12-2014, 09:18 PM
Crabtree looks to be done in SF after this year. That would be a good pickup

Nothing personal, but Crabtree can go sell aluminum ****ing siding.

Holy shit.