PDA

View Full Version : Life Out building fire Sunday-need some help

Holladay
11-12-2014, 05:56 PM
First and foremost, I wasn't able to watch the last 3:25 min of the game:( The fire popped the electricity.

Secondly, no one was hurt.

Thirdly, my house didn't burn down. It got my 53' Pickup shed and the Chicken/Dog shed. Also, luckily there was no car parked inside.

Fourthly, the 1000 gal topped off propane tank right next the shed didn't blow. They were saying if it did, shrapnel would travel a mile. Luckily, the emergency value popped. Talk about wild...a plasma torch 40' high 3' in dia. The torch blew for 4 hours. It hissed/simmered for another 10 hrs out off the main value (the couldn't close it) Side note, this was of course liquid propane and thinking 1g liq = 4g gas, thus explains the duration.

Fifthly, now first hand experience, fire is SICK. I have seen house fires and such but didn't really think about it much. "Yep there's a fire". Now it's personal. The flames joyfully danced evil. They didn't give a crap about my stuff. They just gorged. The next day with wisps of smoke from smouldering wood in a landscape that looks like Hades, the smell hits you. SICKENING.

Also a BIG hats off the fire fighters. I live in the middle of nowhere. I had 4 different townships show up. You could tell by their maneuvers that they had worked together. It was like a military campaign. Wonderful planning and coordination. All on the spot. Logistics, placement of vehicles and hoses, lay of the land, which way was the wind blowing (luckily very little), how much water on hand and timing to get more (no fire hydrants at my place) etc.

Here is a snippet: In the midst of the inferno and with the propane tank still burning, the old walnut tree by the shed is burning on the inside. It has to come down. It had to come down in sections (too big for one) and not hit the power lines, nor on the fire. So this fire fighter climbs up a 40' extension ladder, chain saw in hand, low light, tree burning under him, inferno, water spray all around whacks the tree down. Amazing. Big Balls.

Oh, by the way, they are volunteers. They get paid 5 bucks, not per hour, per run. WTF

I lost some unique old rustic 80 yr old out buildings and the stuff inside, namely a nice Land Pride Zero turn lawnmower which was the bomb. All are replaceable. But not the buildings.

A good thing is I have insurance. I will be able to put up a Morton building:( I did get lucky in many ways though and am thankful.

I hope that no one has to experience fire.

So, I need some help. I have to come up with values on the items inside.

- what is the value of a 2010 Z52 Land Pride mower with 125 hrs? I looked around and could only find mowers with 400 hrs for ~$3-4K?
- what is the value of a 100 yr old walnut tree?
-3 cord of Hedge fire wood?

I might have some more questions later as I get my arms wrapped around all of this.

Oh, yea, I got a lot of my lawn watered for free.

Tacoman
11-12-2014, 06:03 PM
That sounds like a pretty scary situation. I don't know shit about valuing trees or lawnmowers, but am glad you are alright! Propane tank explosion would have been BRUTAL.

SAUTO
11-12-2014, 06:13 PM
Probably a hundred a cord. Maybe a little more

Holladay
11-12-2014, 06:18 PM
From my little research, a cord of hickory/walnut, not pine runs about what you said... hundred a cord. I'm thinking the hedge would run much more. Dunno

Hedge runs hot and burns a long time...though it is a bit sparky:)

Bugeater
11-12-2014, 06:18 PM
Why do you have to come up with the values? That seems odd. Are they just going to write you a check for it no questions asked?

Bugeater
11-12-2014, 06:20 PM
I'd be thrilled to find walnut for $100/cord around here.

Big Poppa Payne
11-12-2014, 06:20 PM
That tree is worth about tree fiddy

Holladay
11-12-2014, 06:21 PM
BRUTAL.

Yup, would have whacked everything (house/barn/ppl)

mlyonsd
11-12-2014, 06:21 PM
I cant help with any estimates but I'm glad for you no one was hurt. Sorry to hear about your losses.

Holladay
11-12-2014, 06:23 PM
There are 2 parts for the insurance. One is for the structures which is a fixed check. The second is for the contents. That is up to my limit with is $217k. I, of course want to max the contents, but need fair values.

mdchiefsfan
11-12-2014, 06:31 PM
If we are ever down in a game, set your shit on fire. Yes, a game is more important than your shit.

But in all honesty, glad your ok. Tough thing to go through.

MTG#10
11-12-2014, 06:35 PM
So what caused it? I read the OP pretty thoroughly, if I missed it my apologies.

Holladay
11-12-2014, 07:14 PM
If we are ever down in a game, set your shit on fire. Yes, a game is more important than your shit.

Duly noted...lol. I only have 1 out building left. So do I use it for the Super Bowl?

Holladay
11-12-2014, 07:23 PM
So what caused it? I read the OP pretty thoroughly, if I missed it my apologies.

I did that on purpose. I didn't want the OP to get too long.

Short version. Don't know. I was watching the game and the lights flickered enough for my DVR to have to reset. It almost reset, then flickered again...1-2 seconds power going off, but enough to reset the darn DVR again. Each time it takes 2-4 min to get the game going again. I thought the heck with this, my man cave doesn't get AM signal and went upstairs to listen in the car. As I walked out of the garage, I saw the fire. Panic followed.

At this stage, thinking mice/squirrels had a hoedown and eat the wires??? The lights flickering suggests that?

Holladay
11-12-2014, 07:28 PM
I sent spippets of this thread to the local newspaper and to the fire chief in charge. They need to be recognized.

This took me an hour to write, I don't write well. Thus the reason why I don't post much.

I think it was Lincoln that said "Sorry that this letter is so long, I didn't have time to write a short one".

Rain Man
11-12-2014, 07:31 PM
I'm glad I didn't sell you my apricot BMW. You're dangerous.

Holladay
11-12-2014, 07:51 PM
I am trying to make a wise crack at that..but got nothin' I don't have your rapier wit.

Holladay
11-12-2014, 07:57 PM
K..if you did. I am sure that the APRICOT BMW would have known that there was a fire commencing. Then the smart ARRICOT BMW would have notified me that the shed was burning down. Thus saving me a bunch of heart ache....kinda like super BMW?

alpha_omega
11-12-2014, 07:58 PM
Glad you are alright.

The best part is the walnut tree is gone, didn't you hate that thing?

Buehler445
11-12-2014, 10:11 PM
That sucks man.

Is that mower a 52" job? Probably a 22-25 HP mower? Gas or Diesel? I'd think it'd be 6-8 grand. Don't know much about Land Pride.

I don't know that they'll pay you for the tree. But I know if you kill someone else's tree with pesticide, bend over. So if you're looking for losses on the tree they could be significant.