PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Bugs, mold on menu at K.C. stadiums

Pitt Gorilla
11-14-2014, 10:19 AM
Video and pics at link.

https://espn.go.com/espn/otl/story/_/id/11854523/critical-food-safety-violations-kansas-city-pro-stadiums

By Paula Lavigne | ESPN.com
424241COMMENTS56EMAILPRINT

The food safety manager at Kansas City's Kauffman and Arrowhead stadiums, home to the Royals and the Chiefs, told ESPN's "Outside the Lines" that poor food handling and dirty conditions have routinely been putting fans' health at risk -- including during the World Series. In addition, a city health department inspection completed Nov. 3 found dozens of critical health code violations at the facilities, according to documents obtained by "Outside the Lines."

Among the concerns found at the stadiums by the manager: cockroaches in vending areas, mouse feces on the same tray as pizza dough, sinks where employees were supposed to wash their hands being blocked by boxes or trash, employees eating in food prep areas and trays of food headed for customers that measured at unsafe temperatures. The health department found several critical violations, including mold growth in ice machines, dirty pans and trays and excessive numbers of fruit flies.

"When we lose control over hygienic practices and we also combine that with poor temperature control -- that could be a catastrophe," said Jon Costa, the district food safety manager for Aramark, which runs the concessions at both venues and has food and beverage contracts with 30 professional sports teams. "That is a recipe for foodborne illness. ... It's very likely temperatures are abused every game. Every game."

Costa sent information about the food safety concerns to local media and ESPN last week, a step he said he took after months of trying to get Aramark senior management to address his concerns and reprimand employees who broke food handling and prep rules. He said he had no authority to reprimand employees, and he was powerless on site because the employees he would have been instructing did not report to him. After learning that Costa sent those details to the media, Aramark placed him on paid administrative leave last week for violating its media policy, Costa said.

Marc Bruno, chief operating officer of Aramark Sports and Entertainment, said last week that Costa's photographs and descriptions were "just allegations at this point," and the company has addressed problems that Costa has raised throughout his 2½ years with the company.

"It's completely contrary to everything that we have done in there," Bruno said. "Food safety is the top priority, No. 1 at Aramark and No. 1 in Kansas City and all our operations." He said both venues are routinely inspected by the City of Kansas City, Missouri, Health Department, which has awarded a number of concession stand food safety excellence awards at the stadiums in the past.

Tod MacKenzie, senior vice president of communications and public affairs for Aramark, also wrote a detailed response to "Outside the Lines."

"The unsubstantiated claims raised by a disgruntled employee are very troubling, as is his unknown motivation," MacKenzie said. "Especially disturbing is the fact that this individual is personally responsible and entrusted with managing food safety at the locations in question. ...

"The random collection of isolated and questionable photographs that the employee distributed represents selective snapshot 'moments-in-time' that without proper context can support any number of conclusions."

The Royals issued a statement, saying: "We take great pride in promoting an atmosphere at Kauffman Stadium that Royals fans of all ages can enjoy. The excitement and energy running through the stadium was on full display during the World Series and our partners, including Aramark, play an important role in creating those memories. Food and beverage is integral to the fan experience and Aramark has been a valued partner in delivering those services to fans. We all take food service, safety and quality very seriously."

The Chiefs also issued a statement: "We're continually looking for new ways to enhance the fan experience and, for the past four seasons, we have partnered with Aramark to transform and elevate our general concession areas. The food and beverage service and selections delivered by Aramark are important parts of the Arrowhead experience."

In July 2010, "Outside the Lines" conducted a comprehensive review of food safety at all 107 venues for professional football, hockey, baseball and basketball in North America. In that report, 62 percent of Kauffman's vendors had critical violations, and at Arrowhead, it was 56 percent. Aramark began its contracts with Kauffman in 2007 and started one with Arrowhead, for general concessions only, in 2010. Costa said his position was created as a result of the "Outside the Lines" report.

"Some of these practices are very habitual. And sometimes it's the same abuser," Costa said of the problems he witnessed.

Costa sent photos of food prep problems to Aramark and Royals officials, via emails, prior to the World Series. "Outside the Lines" verified those emails.

Costa also emailed his photos and complaint to the health department on Nov. 3, the day after the Chiefs played the Jets at Arrowhead, and the department sent inspectors within hours to examine concession stands at both venues. Even though there were no events at either facility that day and the stands were closed, inspectors found violations at 20 out of 26 stands, including 37 critical violations.

Health department division manager Naser Jouhari said the results were "shocking." He said his inspectors told him that it looked like Aramark workers "just flipped the switch off, and they walked out without doing any cleaning or removing any of the food items."

"The main concern is [inviting] all these insects and rodents to the concession stands so they [could] contaminate food service, food contact areas," he said.

Although no events are scheduled at Kauffman until March, the Chiefs have their next game at Arrowhead on Sunday. Bruno said Aramark has addressed and corrected all issues from the Nov. 3 health department inspections and has brought in a third-party food safety auditor. On Monday, health department inspectors re-inspected the 20 stands that had violations and reported that all of them had been corrected. Had they not been, the department could have shut down the noncompliant concession stands, issued a fine or done both.

"We've served three million or four million fans this summer in Kansas City at those two stadiums," Bruno said. "And the food is safe, the food is high quality, and there are really no issues."

Costa's photos also included shots of moldy hot dog buns, which he said were discarded but had been a recurring problem. He provided a copy of an email from May 5, 2014 from a Royals fan who complained about mold on a hot dog bun that the fan's child was about to eat.

Costa said managers have not been promoting food safety, especially among the actual food prep workers who handle the ingredients, as evidenced by a scene he described from the final game of the World Series on Oct. 29. The concession stands were running low on pizza dough, and a prep worker told him that she was left with a tray of dough that had expired Oct. 25.

"She says to me that she called our supplier and our supplier told her, 'Do not serve dough that is expired,'" Costa said. "However, our manager stepped in and said, 'You will sell the dough. You will sell the dough.'"

"Outside the Lines" heard two other accounts of the dough incident that backed up Costa's description and indicated that pizzas made with expired dough were sold to customers.

Even if the dough didn't pose a health hazard or sicken anyone, Costa said it set a bad precedent for workers.

"I think it says that, 'Hey, we can sell any substandard food that we want,'" he said.

Costa provided a copy of an email his supervisor in Kansas City sent Oct. 31 stating that the supervisor was concerned about the dough incident and that another manager that night did eventually instruct workers to stop selling the pizzas. When "Outside the Lines" asked Bruno about the incident last week, he said it was the first he'd heard of it.

"I continue to have confidence in our policies and procedures that would prevent something like this from being served," he said. "I was at Game 7. I actually did have pizza that night, and you know, there were no issues that we're aware of anywhere."

Health department inspection photographs
The City of Kansas City (Mo.) Health Department sent inspectors to Arrowhead and Kauffman stadiums on Nov. 3, the day it had been alerted to food safety concerns by Costa. Even though there were no events at either facility that day and the concession stands were closed, inspectors found violations at 20 out of 26 stands, including 37 critical violations. The photos below were taken on Nov. 3. The facilities passed a re-inspection this week.

Producer Nicole Noren of ESPN's Enterprise/Investigative Unit contributed to this report.

gblowfish
11-14-2014, 10:20 AM
Nom Nom Nom...

threebag
11-14-2014, 10:22 AM
Just buy beer

thabear04
11-14-2014, 10:23 AM
They don't like extra protein.

Dragonocho
11-14-2014, 10:24 AM
Wife used to work for Aramark at a college cafeteria. She won't go near any place they manage food.

ptlyon
11-14-2014, 10:25 AM
:fart:

TLO
11-14-2014, 10:26 AM
I just assumed this was the risk you took when you ate stadium food. :shrug:

Pitt Gorilla
11-14-2014, 10:26 AM
Wife used to work for Aramark at a college cafeteria. She won't go near any place they manage food.I used to work concessions at the Big 8 tournament in KC (work a few hours, free admission for various sessions). Anyway, I would NEVER eat the stuff they had us serve. The hotdogs were reused day after day (stored in water in bags in boxes). The popcorn was typically at least several days old. It was pretty horrible.

ILChief
11-14-2014, 10:31 AM
How can both teams not fire Aramark after that?

Bearcat
11-14-2014, 10:34 AM
"The random collection of isolated and questionable photographs that the employee distributed represents selective snapshot 'moments-in-time' that without proper context can support any number of conclusions."

That mouse poop on the pizza tray is just a "moment in time".... it could mean anything!

ILChief
11-14-2014, 10:36 AM
Some of the pictures in the article are unbelievable

Chief_For_Life58
We are all just dust in the wind

Chief_For_Life58
Sand thru an hourglass

Chief_For_Life58
11-14-2014, 10:39 AM
Lol from the comments -Ross Kirby
Well ya they had expired food because they weren't use to being open in late October and November for 20 something years.

PizzaDoughz
11-14-2014, 10:43 AM
The worst part is the video in the link had another manning commercial

Discuss Thrower
11-14-2014, 10:45 AM

Aramark is just that fucking cheap. It's them and Sodexo that provide literally the shittiest food service contractor work known the man, yet they keep growing ever year.

Drury was saddled with Aladdin. They had some pretty horrendous shit going down in the kitchen too.

ptlyon
11-14-2014, 10:47 AM

"Chicken mouse parm, you taste so good..."

Gonzo
11-14-2014, 10:49 AM
Jesus... Looking at the pics makes me wanna vomit.
I know stadiums aren't exactly sanitary anyway but Christ. A little effort maybe?

http://m.espn.go.com/wireless/story?storyId=11854523

TLO
11-14-2014, 10:51 AM
I just assumed this was the risk you took when you ate stadium food. :shrug:

OK.. so after looking at the pictures, I'm changing my tune.

That's fucking gross.

ILChief
11-14-2014, 10:53 AM
OK.. so after looking at the pictures, I'm changing my tune.

That's fucking gross.

Those were pics from the health dept inspection on a day when nothing was going on at either stadium.

Strongside
11-14-2014, 10:57 AM
This is not surprising. About 2 weeks ago I sent Arrowhead officials a pretty lengthy letter about the state of the service and overall experience of the concessions at the stadium, which is unacceptable. I routinely work with members of the marketing/PR team in the front office, so I sent it directly to them...not via some sort of 3rd party survey. As a season ticket holder, I expect the Chiefs to either fire Aramark, or give them an ultimatum. Either get your shit together and stop hiring people that can't perform such a simple job, or get your shit and get out.

loochy
11-14-2014, 11:00 AM
k

it happens

InChiefsHeaven
11-14-2014, 11:01 AM
I worked concessions at the Qwest (Now Century Link) Arena here in Omaha. We were absolutely anal about cleanliness, and I can say without a doubt the food we served at our outlet anyway was totally safe and clean. Seriously, I don't understand how these vendors have the issue, it's not that hard to spend some time cleaning. We always were able to get out of there pretty quick at night and passed every inspection we ever had.

InChiefsHeaven
11-14-2014, 11:02 AM
This is not surprising. About 2 weeks ago I sent Arrowhead officials a pretty lengthy letter about the state of the service and overall experience of the concessions at the stadium, which is unacceptable. I routinely work with members of the marketing/PR team in the front office, so I sent it directly to them...not via some sort of 3rd party survey. As a season ticket holder, I expect the Chiefs to either fire Aramark, or give them an ultimatum. Either get your shit together and stop hiring people that can't perform such a simple job, or get your shit and get out.

Did they send you a coupon for a free hot dog?

Gonzo
11-14-2014, 11:02 AM
My experiences with Aramark at cafeterias aren't much better. That's what happens when you pay ol' Bubba minimum wage right after he got out of the pen.

J Diddy
11-14-2014, 11:03 AM

Manning and Aramark-bad for KC, bad for you.

ptlyon
11-14-2014, 11:06 AM
I worked concessions at the Qwest (Now Century Link) Arena here in Omaha. We were absolutely anal about cleanliness, and I can say without a doubt the food we served at our outlet anyway was totally safe and clean. Seriously, I don't understand how these vendors have the issue, it's not that hard to spend some time cleaning. We always were able to get out of there pretty quick at night and passed every inspection we ever had.

Anal cleanliness is good

Saul Good
Both franchises have been serving up shit for decades. Why is this suddenly news?

Discuss Thrower
Manning and Aramark-bad for KC, bad for you.

"Aramark keeps costs down"

Simply Red
11-14-2014, 11:09 AM
Because; we are the Chiefs.

Simply Red
11-14-2014, 11:09 AM
"Chicken mouse parm, you taste so good..."

mmm that DOES sound amazing!

Dragonocho
11-14-2014, 11:11 AM
Must send Gordon Ramsay in with his Kitchen Nightmares crew. Only takes him 60 minutes to fix a broken food service place.

ptlyon
11-14-2014, 11:12 AM
Must send Gordon Ramsay in with his Kitchen Nightmares crew. Only takes him 60 minutes to fix a broken food service place.

And send him into the locker room at halftime

Pablo
11-14-2014, 11:12 AM
I wonder how many mouse dropping there are in an average helmet nacho at the K?

Because I'm still going to order one next year, no matter the number.

Strongside
11-14-2014, 11:13 AM
Did they send you a coupon for a free hot dog?

I haven't received jack shit as far as feedback. I sent to 4 people, all of whom are typically very quick to respond to email. I don't care that I get anything, I just hope that the frustration came through. If they ignored it, I bet they hear me now.

DMAC
11-14-2014, 11:14 AM
Cut em a break. They've never had that many people there.

Simply Red
11-14-2014, 11:17 AM
Cut em a break. They've never had that many people there.

http://i.imgur.com/69PxaRG.jpg

Strongside
11-14-2014, 11:19 AM
The training has to be nonexistent at Aramark. The clerks can't even work the cash registers, let alone clean up after their shift is over.

Dayze
11-14-2014, 11:22 AM
The service workers at the stadiums are absolutely horrible. Lazy. Work slow. Can barely mactually do the job the yr e getting paid for. There are some real worthless human beings working those stands.

Strongside
11-14-2014, 11:22 AM

You've somehow captured, in perfect detail, the very essence of the Aramark stadium concessions worker. This is incredible.

Iowanian
11-14-2014, 11:25 AM
I've worked games down there as fundraisers for youth programs.

A LOT of the concessions are run by volunteers, who probably don't have food service/safety training. I know the times I have done it, it was a zoo and pain in the ass to get the things you need.

Rausch
11-14-2014, 11:27 AM
So not only have the teams been feeding us $#it all but 14 days of the last 30 years on teh field but...they've actually been feeding us $3it the last 30 years.

ptlyon
11-14-2014, 11:28 AM

A LOT of the concessions are run by volunteers, who probably don't have food service/safety training. I know the times I have done it, it was a zoo and pain in the ass to get the things you need.

"The mouse droppings are under the counter"

temper11
11-14-2014, 11:28 AM
All the more reason to fill up your belly in the parking lot before going in.

Discuss Thrower
11-14-2014, 11:31 AM
All the more reason to fill up your belly in the parking lot before going in.

http://uranus.ckt.net/~gochiefs/truestfans.gif

chiefzilla1501
11-14-2014, 11:32 AM

It amazes me that this still happens. In a league where owners are making a gazillion dollars, they still need volunteers to do work that should be handled by employees. I get that some charities benefit off of it. But it's amazing to me the kind of stuff owners get away with that most businesses would not.

DMAC
11-14-2014, 11:32 AM

Exactly. Take it easy.

allen_kcCard
11-14-2014, 11:35 AM
I work out there in concessions, and our stand isn't like that, but we are one of the fund raising volunteer groups...an NPO, or not for profit.

The stands that are NPO seem to be good overall, and they have been trying to get more and more people working the games from ours, I am assuming because of stuff like this.

The employees are all union, and I could see where some of the stuff could come up there. I haven't ever worked directly with one of their stands, but I see enough of them, and deal with them coming to our stand begging for things they ran out of, or trying to swipe things like our ice scoops because theirs was missing happens.

We have been inspected twice this season already, and passed both.

tomahawk kid
11-14-2014, 11:37 AM
Mental note to grab my kids a bite to eat before we head into the K.

cabletech94
11-14-2014, 11:39 AM
I wonder how many mouse dropping there are in an average helmet nacho at the K?

Because I'm still going to order one next year, no matter the number.

I was just gonna say the same!!! i'd never had one of those before. got to enjoy that bad boy for W.S. game #2. wife said "you can't eat all of that"! so I did.

then I taught her a lesson in the hotel room..........

edit: oh yeah, and if you eat pizza at a pro football/baseball game, you deserve to get aids, or something. you have hot dogs and hamburgers and peanuts and cracker jacks. the end. ;)

allen_kcCard
11-14-2014, 11:40 AM

Umm...the volunteers are the ones you want. They might be learning the register, but they care enough to try to get things right even if they are out there for their first game. We get training, but it is related to food handling, and team training that related to things like alcohol compliance...nothing about the registers, or things like specific things that the stand will be making. That all happens at the first game you work, and is done with others that have worked in it.

Iowanian
11-14-2014, 11:40 AM
It amazes me that this still happens. In a league where owners are making a gazillion dollars, they still need volunteers to do work that should be handled by employees. I get that some charities benefit off of it. But it's amazing to me the kind of stuff owners get away with that most businesses would not.

I don't think it's terrible that volunteers work concessions for fund raisers, but I DO think there should be a manager that knows what is going on and is responsible for the operations.

Now, It has been a few years since I participated and while everything wasn't perfect I never saw moldy buns or terrible filth that would have made me nervous to eat there.
I'd have slapped the lips off of someone who put a ladle in a garbage can between uses. Gross.

This just proves that fast food workers deserve $15/hr...........................................

Pablo
11-14-2014, 11:42 AM
I was just gonna say the same!!! i'd never had one of those before. got to enjoy that bad boy for W.S. game #2. wife said "you can't eat all of that"! so I did.

then I taught her a lesson in the hotel room..........I doubt any human being could perform any bedroom antics with that bomb sitting in your stomach. Unless you're into schizer videos. The wife and I will share one if we get it; and I'd have to be pretty bombed/hungry to destroy a whole one by myself.

RockChalk
11-14-2014, 11:44 AM
Love the PR spin bullshit that the executives are putting out.

Like hell you say, I had pizza that night. I was delicious. I didn't shit my pants. Get over it.

Rausch
11-14-2014, 11:46 AM
Love the PR spin bullshit that the executives are putting out.

Like hell you say, I had pizza that night. I was delicious. I didn't shit my pants. Get over it.

Your choice to eat the flan...

J Diddy
11-14-2014, 11:48 AM
[Diddy enters room singing a parody of It's a Great Day To Be Alive in honor of Aramark employees]

"I got mold on my hot dog today,
Haven't washed my hands in 3 damn days
and it's hard times finding a job this good
but i'm a doing alright."

[Diddy leaves room]

Simply Red
Mental note to grab my kids a bite to eat before we head into the K.

Your choice to eat the flan...

Simply Red
"The mouse droppings are under the counter"

Lzen
11-14-2014, 11:51 AM

Especially considering the sky high prices for not that great food and $9 or $10 for crappy beer (Budweiser).

cabletech94
11-14-2014, 11:54 AM
I doubt any human being could perform any bedroom antics with that bomb sitting in your stomach. Unless you're into schizer videos. The wife and I will share one if we get it; and I'd have to be pretty bombed/hungry to destroy a whole one by myself.

I was watching the ladies (who really looked like the fella in SR's custom made sketch) make the nachobbq or whatever its called. looking at the conditions of the open air kitchen made me second guess my decision, but I thought to myself "when in rome......" and I powered up and ate that whole thing. of course they were out of the beans and something else, but gave me extra que, so I thought out of respect, I would the whole thing......

Fairplay
11-14-2014, 11:55 AM
I'm hungry

Dayze
11-14-2014, 11:56 AM
the prices of food and beer out there, really are hilarious to me. I mean....seriously, makes me laugh.

chiefzilla1501
11-14-2014, 12:04 PM
I don't think it's terrible that volunteers work concessions for fund raisers, but I DO think there should be a manager that knows what is going on and is responsible for the operations.

Now, It has been a few years since I participated and while everything wasn't perfect I never saw moldy buns or terrible filth that would have made me nervous to eat there.
I'd have slapped the lips off of someone who put a ladle in a garbage can between uses. Gross.

This just proves that fast food workers deserve $15/hr...........................................
Agreed. I'm not as familiar with the process except that I'd have to imagine there are quality standards that are being shortcutted to save money.

Katipan
11-14-2014, 12:07 PM
Would you spend more money on tickets if it meant quality but more affordable food?

Simply Red
11-14-2014, 12:08 PM
I'm hungry

ROFL

Bugeater
11-14-2014, 12:10 PM
Would you spend more money on tickets if it meant quality but more affordable food?hell no

srvy
11-14-2014, 12:11 PM
No different than your grocery dumping your fresh poultry in a drum of bleach to kill the smell that its not so fresh and going bad.

Rausch
11-14-2014, 12:12 PM
Would you spend more money on tickets if it meant quality but more affordable food?

No.

At this point I'm pretty sure my gut is a sarlac pit.

There's probably $3it growing in there that NASA would spend years studying...

srvy
11-14-2014, 12:14 PM

Question do the Chiefs and Royals have anything to do with concessions since the Jackson County Sports Authority runs the stadium?

ptlyon
11-14-2014, 12:22 PM
"Welcome to Arrowhead Stadium. We hope you enjoy your game day experience at the LOUDEST stadium in the NFL.

That queasy feeling when you leave is not the nachos. Seriously. Thank you."

allen_kcCard
11-14-2014, 12:24 PM
Question do the Chiefs and Royals have anything to do with concessions since the Jackson County Sports Authority runs the stadium?

Doubt it

stanleychief
11-14-2014, 12:33 PM
What is Pioli doing these days? Sounds like we may have found the perfect role for him!

Bob Dole
11-14-2014, 12:46 PM
Food and beverage is integral to the fan experience...

Odd. Bob Dole has never spent a dime on food and beverage in either stadium.

tk13
11-14-2014, 01:01 PM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>KC says ALL health inspection violations at A-head MUST be corrected by Sunday game or concession stands won&#39;t open.</p>&mdash; Micheal Mahoney (@KCMikeMahoney) <a href="https://twitter.com/KCMikeMahoney/status/533328606987309056">November 14, 2014</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Discuss Thrower
11-14-2014, 01:05 PM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>KC says ALL health inspection violations at A-head MUST be corrected by Sunday game or concession stands won't open.</p>&mdash; Micheal Mahoney (@KCMikeMahoney) <a href="https://twitter.com/KCMikeMahoney/status/533328606987309056">November 14, 2014</a></blockquote>

Because...

loochy
11-14-2014, 01:13 PM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>KC says ALL health inspection violations at A-head MUST be corrected by Sunday game or concession stands won't open.</p>&mdash; Micheal Mahoney (@KCMikeMahoney) <a href="https://twitter.com/KCMikeMahoney/status/533328606987309056">November 14, 2014</a></blockquote>

They'll be open.

NFL>Chiefs>KC

Pepe Silvia
11-14-2014, 01:16 PM
the prices of food and beer out there, really are hilarious to me. I mean....seriously, makes me laugh.

Super Nacho $10.00

1 Beer: $13.00

ptlyon
11-14-2014, 01:20 PM
Super Nacho, hold the cockroach - $15.00

Discuss Thrower
11-14-2014, 01:21 PM

Your choice to be a fan.

Pepe Silvia
11-14-2014, 01:29 PM
I've been reading a lot about this, its not just stadiums pretty much every major corporation is getting away with this BS. It's all about the profits and the rich elite no longer want the peasants to have real clean food.

Saul Good
11-14-2014, 01:30 PM
When your fans are mostly known for food they cook and eat in the parking lot, it's hard for me to get all that worked up over this.

Yeah, I just pigged out on knockwurst and potato salad I prepared on a grill that hasn't been cleaned since I purchased it during the Cark Peterson era in between my 27 trips to a porta-potty without hand washing facilities, but I'm a germaphobe as soon as I stroll through the turnstiles.

Dayze
11-14-2014, 01:33 PM
Me: yeah, I'll have the nachos

Parolee: how would like like that cooked?

Me: Uh? ...melted?

Parolee: no, no. how would you like the cockroach cooked.

Me: oh!! *embarassed*......medium please. I was a little confused at first.

Parolee: it happens. *sympathetic smile*

*shared laughter*

tomahawk kid
11-14-2014, 01:35 PM
No different than your grocery dumping your fresh poultry in a drum of bleach to kill the smell that its not so fresh and going bad.

ENGLISH! DO YOU SPEAK IT?!

Pepe Silvia
11-14-2014, 01:35 PM
Remember that McDonalds test where the fries still looked the same months later? Fake food.

tomahawk kid
11-14-2014, 01:36 PM

Yeah - THAT'LL happen.

The media sure does like their easy copy.

Rausch
11-14-2014, 01:38 PM
Me: yeah, I'll have the nachos

Parolee: how would like like that cooked?

Me: Uh? ...melted?

Parolee: no, no. how would you like the cockroach cooked.

Me: oh!! *embarassed*......medium please. I was a little confused at first.

Parolee: it happens. *sympathetic smile*

*shared laughter*

Less funny when you know them from work.

http://img.pandawhale.com/73370-Ill-be-your-Huckleberry-gif-Im-QI6V.gif

kcfanXIII
11-14-2014, 01:39 PM

then I taught her a lesson in the hotel room..........

edit: oh yeah, and if you eat pizza at a pro football/baseball game, you deserve to get aids, or something. you have hot dogs and hamburgers and peanuts and cracker jacks. the end. ;)

and nachos?

Katipan
11-14-2014, 01:39 PM
Of course it'll be corrected. It takes nothing to scoop all that shit into a trash cans and hose the building down in bleach.

Corrected doesn't mean they have to hire competent staff and teach food safety procedures to everyone by Sunday.

srvy
11-14-2014, 01:41 PM
I've been reading a lot about this, its not just stadiums pretty much every major corporation is getting away with this BS. It's all about the profits and the rich elite no longer want the peasants to have real clean food.

Oh for crying out loud go into any kitchen and look a round you may be horrified. Its been this way forever. Old mom and pop joints get shut down by health departments also.

You test area's in your kitchen, refridge, garbage area you might find you wouldn't pass an inspection.

KCUnited
11-14-2014, 01:42 PM
I mean a hotdog detached a guys retina, is anyone really that shocked?

Strongside
11-14-2014, 01:45 PM
Probably the only reason I haven't gotten Rot-Gut from the mouse shit-laced Cheesy Corn Brisket Acho and Burnt-End Burgers I eat out there on a regular basis is because any bacteria dies instantly when it hits my stomach and is immediately sterilized by the fact that my stomach acid has been replaced with loads of alcohol by that point. I was going to throw up later anyway.

Pitt Gorilla
11-14-2014, 01:49 PM
My undergraduate institution used Sodexho and the food was awful. My current institution does all of their own food and it is incredible.

Pasta Little Brioni
11-14-2014, 01:53 PM
Shit. Count already ate his bug!!

HonestChieffan
11-14-2014, 02:18 PM
Drunks who piss on their hands dont care about no stinking dirty kitchens

Rausch
11-14-2014, 02:19 PM
Drunks who piss on their hands dont care about no stinking dirty kitchens

Yes, we do...

J Diddy
11-14-2014, 02:20 PM
and nachos?

Shit! That's why Priest never came back.

allen_kcCard
11-14-2014, 02:53 PM
Corrected doesn't mean they have to hire competent staff and teach food safety procedures to everyone by Sunday.

By who? Jon Costa? He is the one that trained them all.

Pepe Silvia
11-14-2014, 02:58 PM
Oh for crying out loud go into any kitchen and look a round you may be horrified. Its been this way forever. Old mom and pop joints get shut down by health departments also.

You test area's in your kitchen, refridge, garbage area you might find you wouldn't pass an inspection.

Nope, we're in the Soylent Green stage.

DenverChief
11-14-2014, 03:10 PM

$$$$

Strongside
11-14-2014, 03:22 PM
Firing Aramark may be in the cards, but not in the middle of the season. That would be a logistics nightmare. All of the employees are not staffed by the Chiefs, they're staffed by Aramark.

By firing the company, you'd be putting hundreds of uneducated street people back on the streets.

KCUnited
11-14-2014, 03:24 PM
Wasn't one of the rally cries for stadium renovations food safety?

tomahawk kid
11-14-2014, 03:30 PM
Firing Aramark may be in the cards, but not in the middle of the season. That would be a logistics nightmare. All of the employees are not staffed by the Chiefs, they're staffed by Aramark.

By firing the company, you'd be putting hundreds of uneducated street people back on the streets.

Not sure if serious.........

ILChief
11-14-2014, 03:30 PM
$$$$

The $$$$ from a potential lawsuit may be more

Strongside
11-14-2014, 03:35 PM
I'm going to show this article to my fiance in the stands Sunday while she's eating concession fare. She'll be all like:

http://gifrific.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/Chris-Farley-Smile-to-Shock-Reaction.gif

acasas4
11-14-2014, 04:18 PM
Mm mm. .. I can't wait to have a pizza and some nachos Sunday. Extra mouse shit please!

Deberg_1990
11-14-2014, 04:24 PM
Yum ! I'd still gobble it up. Delicious !

TimBone
11-14-2014, 05:22 PM
How are they dressing the mold and bugs, though? You slather it with enough nacho cheese, it could be good. People overseas it bugs.

cosmo20002
11-14-2014, 05:32 PM
The good news is that the food at the Seahawks game Sunday will probably be the best and freshest they've ever had.

Eureka
11-14-2014, 07:34 PM
And I always read how you guys think O.co Coliseum is a shithole.

Don't buy any food at Arrowhead stadium. Got it.

tecumseh
11-14-2014, 07:52 PM
What doesn't kill you makes you stronger. But if it kills you...well..that sux.

Fairplay
11-14-2014, 07:56 PM
610 The Drive segment devoted most of their show to the stadium food issue they were relentless.

TLO
11-14-2014, 07:56 PM

Fish
11-14-2014, 08:01 PM
It sounds nasty, but people put way too much emotion into the cleanliness of their food. The human body is a pretty amazing machine that can handle much much more than what people stress themselves over. A little mold or mouse shit or cockroach footprints? Coming from many of the same people that let their dog kiss them on the face? Or perform oral sex? Do you have any idea how much bacteria is involved there?

Fish
11-14-2014, 08:11 PM
I lay pretty strong odds that someone in this very thread, posted their dismay to this news, typing on their filthy hot bacteria farm of a phone, while sitting on the shitter.

alnorth
11-14-2014, 08:31 PM
The good news is that the food at the Seahawks game Sunday will probably be the best and freshest they've ever had.

No kidding. After this shitstorm of bad press, you could probably eat off the floor of every kitchen in Arrowhead this sunday.

A few weeks down the road, and next year when most people have forgotten about this, is the real test.

Deberg_1990
11-14-2014, 08:35 PM
It sounds nasty, but people put way too much emotion into the cleanliness of their food. The human body is a pretty amazing machine that can handle much much more than what people stress themselves over. A little mold or mouse shit or cockroach footprints? Coming from many of the same people that let their dog kiss them on the face? Or perform oral sex? Do you have any idea how much bacteria is involved there?

Yes this

Girls don't mind swallowing certain bodily fluids, but freak out over some mold on a hotdog bun?

Hog's Gone Fishin
11-14-2014, 08:36 PM
The best way to build your immune system is to ingest bugs. I know !

11-14-2014, 08:43 PM
Mmmmmmm crunchy

GloryDayz
11-14-2014, 09:02 PM
We could fly a banner....

Katipan
11-14-2014, 09:31 PM
Yes this

Girls don't mind swallowing certain bodily fluids, but freak out over some mold on a hotdog bun?

The ROI isn't the same.

MMXcalibur
11-14-2014, 09:45 PM
This would never happen under Scott Pioli's iron fist.

Pepe Silvia
11-14-2014, 09:47 PM
I had a cheeseburger for dinner, it was way better than the Kauffman burger.

Jewish Rabbi
11-14-2014, 11:17 PM

Yeah it's not really that, it's the potential listeria outbreak that's waiting to kill anyone who hits up a certain stand.

BigRedChief
11-14-2014, 11:45 PM
When your fans are mostly known for food they cook and eat in the parking lot, it's hard for me to get all that worked up over this.

Yeah, I just pigged out on knockwurst and potato salad I prepared on a grill that hasn't been cleaned since I purchased it during the Cark Peterson era in between my 27 trips to a porta-potty without hand washing facilities, but I'm a germaphobe as soon as I stroll through the turnstiles.Thats your choice to not clean the cooking surface of your meal. You are making decisions for yourself and you are not trying to make a profit.

Cutting corners to pocket more money when your making Billions is anise. To endanger your customers health to pocket a few more sheckles is anise.

Aries Walker
11-14-2014, 11:49 PM
It's anise? You can't possibly mean it's licorice-flavored, but I can't for the life of me figure out what word you meant to use there.

Strongside
11-15-2014, 12:00 AM
It's anise? You can't possibly mean it's licorice-flavored, but I can't for the life of me figure out what word you meant to use there.

Asinine, I'd say...

Discuss Thrower
11-15-2014, 12:43 AM
Asinine, I'd say...

You're a real son of a birch, you know that?

Iconic
11-15-2014, 06:29 PM
I lay pretty strong odds that someone in this very thread, posted their dismay to this news, typing on their filthy hot bacteria farm of a phone, while sitting on the shitter.

mmmmmmmmmm hmmmmmmmmm
I sure do love me some fecal-oral pathogens.

displacedinMN
11-15-2014, 09:39 PM
I work out there in concessions, and our stand isn't like that, but we are one of the fund raising volunteer groups...an NPO, or not for profit.

The stands that are NPO seem to be good overall, and they have been trying to get more and more people working the games from ours, I am assuming because of stuff like this.

The employees are all union, and I could see where some of the stuff could come up there. I haven't ever worked directly with one of their stands, but I see enough of them, and deal with them coming to our stand begging for things they ran out of, or trying to swipe things like our ice scoops because theirs was missing happens.

We have been inspected twice this season already, and passed both.

Same story when I worked at Target Center. Volunteer stands were ok, union stands were not. I got pulled to work in a union stand. Because I am a nice guy. The workers were rude. I stayed late to clean up and the supervisor and I talked about how some work gets done. By the time I got done, it was very clean. I did get a little thank you from Aramark, but not a big stipend.

About that time, Target Field was being built and Aramark applied for the contract. All of a sudden, Aramark had a renewed effort on health and food safety at Target Center. thermometers magically showed up and we were held to a higher standard that had not been done in two years.

At the end of their contract, Aramark was replaced with Delaware North and Target field was also awarded to Delaware. Many of the Aramark employees applied for jobs with DN and were not hired. (why would they) I was at Target Center for the first time in 4 years last night. Looks like they have done a nice job in upgrades.

Maybe they need to have their feet held to the fire in KC too.

Mama Hip Rockets
11-15-2014, 10:40 PM
Is there a Jack Stack at the stadium still? If so, does it have anything to do with this? I was thinking about eating there at the game tomorrow.

tk13
03-26-2015, 04:29 PM
Update. Jon Costa, the whistleblower, was fired.

http://espn.go.com/espn/otl/story/_/id/12562241/food-safety-manager-fired-kansas-city-stadium-health-concerns-made-public

The food safety manager who went public last fall with allegations of unsafe food handling and pictures of bugs, mouse feces and moldy food at Kansas City's Kauffman and Arrowhead stadiums has been fired.

Jon Costa shared with "Outside the Lines" a copy of a letter he said his former employer, Aramark, sent him on March 17 saying Costa was being fired "for cause." The letter outlines a number of reasons, the first of which is that he violated the company's media policy by taking his concerns public.

Costa came forward publicly with his concerns last November, just after World Series games at Kauffman Stadium, in an email to media and public health officials, including the local health department. He detailed allegations -- complete with photos -- of cockroaches in vending areas, mouse feces on the same tray as pizza dough, sinks where employees were supposed to wash their hands being blocked by boxes or trash, employees eating in food prep areas and trays of food headed for customers that measured at unsafe temperatures.

The city health department responded with an inspection of the Royals' and Chiefs' stadiums on Nov. 3 that found violations at 20 out of 26 stands, including 37 critical violations, including mold growth in ice machines, dirty pans and trays and excessive numbers of fruit flies. A subsequent inspection found those violations to be corrected.

Aramark declined to answer specific questions about Costa's firing but issued a statement Thursday noting that "We respect our employees' privacy and consider personnel matters confidential. We maintain that privacy even if an individual chooses to discuss their situation publicly."

--

An Aramark representative interviewed Costa on three separate occasions after the November publicity, during which Costa said he was asked questions about his employment, prior work history, the nature of his photos and other aspects of his allegations.

In December, Costa's attorney filed a retaliation complaint with the U.S. Occupational Safety and Health Administration, which has the authority to investigate complaints of retaliation against whistleblowers.

In its letter of termination, Aramark also said Costa "failed to take prompt action to address food safety issues, notwithstanding documented support from his managers and direction from them to do so" and to discipline employees who were violating food safety practices.

But Costa said he had tried to solve problems by addressing them on site and bringing them to the attention of managers who never supported his efforts. He said he did not supervise anyone and had neither the authority nor training to discipline fellow employees.

The letter detailing his firing also says that Costa hampered Aramark's relationship with the local health department and that he did not follow protocol in dealing with the department. Costa, who used to work for the City of Kansas City, Missouri, Health Department, denied those allegations. When "Outside the Lines" interviewed health department division manager Naser Jouhari in November, he said he knew Costa as a former employee and Aramark representative and that, "It's all been pleasant. We never had any major concerns."

Costa's attorney Ryan McClelland, who specializes in employment law, said he believes that Aramark fired Costa not for going to the media but for alerting public health officials of the violations.

"Jon, making a good faith reporting of food safety violations, is a protected activity for which he can't be subject to any adverse action," McClelland said.

McClelland said the firing was especially retaliatory in part because the company denied Costa ongoing medical coverage, which usually happens only in cases of "gross misconduct." Although Missouri doesn't have protections for whistleblowers in the private sector, McClelland said Costa's issue could still fall under state wrongful termination laws as well as a variety of federal statutes, including through OSHA. An OSHA official stated that the agency tries to complete its investigations within six months.

Bugeater
03-26-2015, 04:39 PM
Fair or not, I don't see how you do that without knowing it may cost you your job.

SPchief
03-26-2015, 04:40 PM
He gonna get paid

allen_kcCard
03-26-2015, 04:43 PM
Telling the health department is not the same thing as showing up on Outside the Lines.

InChiefsHeaven
03-30-2015, 07:01 AM
Telling the health department is not the same thing as showing up on Outside the Lines.

This. I think the problem is that he went public...

Dave Lane
03-30-2015, 07:39 AM
Still better than dumpster fish heads.

Hoopsdoc
03-30-2015, 09:04 AM
Wife used to work for Aramark at a college cafeteria. She won't go near any place they manage food.

Aramark sucks ass. They run the cafeteria where I work. I ate there maybe once and never again. Brownbagging it is cheaper anyway.

kcfanXIII
03-30-2015, 09:29 AM
Aramark sucks ass. They run the cafeteria where I work. I ate there maybe once and never again. Brownbagging it is cheaper anyway.

yeah, they run the cafeteria here on the Sprint campus, and its over priced garbage. I can't for the life of me figure out why its our only option for on campus food.

tomahawk kid
03-30-2015, 09:38 AM
Welp - looks like I'll be savings alot of $$$ on concessions this season.

Reerun_KC
03-30-2015, 10:24 AM
He gonna get paid

As he should.

Saulbadguy
03-30-2015, 11:24 AM

Who the hell cares who he told? If a corporation is doing the wrong thing, what difference does it make?

Pasta Little Brioni
03-30-2015, 12:03 PM
Gotta charge extra for dat protein!

mdchiefsfan
03-30-2015, 03:18 PM
Andy Reid may just kill a bitch.

gblowfish
03-30-2015, 03:20 PM
I don't know why anybody would eat anything inside Arrowhead with all the tailgating going on. Kauffman is a different story. I try to eat stuff like the brats where they grill them right in front of you. Doesn't mean it's safe, but less scary.

Pasta Little Brioni
03-30-2015, 03:20 PM
Andy Reid may just kill a bitch.

Don't fuck with his Combine sammiches!!!

Pablo
03-30-2015, 03:27 PM
I don't know why anybody would eat anything inside Arrowhead with all the tailgating going on. Kauffman is a different story. I try to eat stuff like the brats where they grill them right in front of you. Doesn't mean it's safe, but less scary.I think the last food item I ate at either stadium was some goddamn helmet nachos at the K. Them shits are delicious. Get nice and liquored up and see if you can eat the whole helmet. It's pretty hard to get 2/3 of it down to be honest.

You can get a brisketacho? helmet with some meat, bbq sauce and other stuff I'm forgetting in your helmet too. Extra rat turds provide that extra crunch. Or you can go on dollar dog night and shovel down four grey hot dogs. That's always a good test of your gut strength.

I can't remember the last time I bought a food item in Arrowhead. Like most, I'm usually gorging myself in the parking lot before I head in. After you walk from the car with a stomach full of brats and beer, those $9 nachos just don't have that same shine.

allen_kcCard
03-30-2015, 03:39 PM
Find an NPO stand if you are worried about the food. Problem solved.

ModSocks
03-30-2015, 04:25 PM
Meh. Doesn't sound like anything out of the ordinary.

Pro Tip: Fountain Drink dispensers are the most vial, disgusting things at a concession stand.

BWillie
03-30-2015, 04:33 PM
That is why I try not to use the concession stands at Kaufman or Arrowhead, I mean I'll go to Topsy's and the food vendors they bring in, which probably still has it's own set of problems. The concessions at Kaufman and Arrowhead, are really really subpar compared to the other stadiums around the country I've been to.

kysirsoze
03-30-2015, 05:00 PM
Meh. Doesn't sound like anything out of the ordinary.

Pro Tip: Fountain Drink dispensers are the most vial, disgusting things at a concession stand or most restaurants you frequent. And god help you if you order iced tea..

Fixed.

GloryDayz
03-30-2015, 05:28 PM
For some reason I'm simply not scared. I don't eat a lot at either, and this will help me to keep heading down that road, but I'm still not scared.