PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Interesting tidbit on ESPN about the Chiefs and no WR TD's yet this year

Mr. Flopnuts
11-17-2014, 01:25 PM
They were saying that the Eagles had this happen before. Didn't catch the year. Apparently that team didn't get their first one until week 12 of that year. I found it fascinating because we've talked about our lack of depth at the position, and that Alex doesn't like taking risks, but this is clearly an Andy Reid thing as well for it to happen to two of his teams over his career.

Hammock Parties
11-17-2014, 01:28 PM
I don't know why we don't throw fades at the goal line. Cassel racked up bullshit TDs to Bowe on that play in 2010.

BigRichard
11-17-2014, 01:28 PM
What year was that for the Eagles? How far did they go in the playoffs?

Marcellus
11-17-2014, 01:29 PM
Love the new Avatar Flop. Big Richard needs to get a version of that.

Big Poppa Payne
11-17-2014, 01:31 PM
Honestly who cares as long as we're winning??:shrug:

Pasta Little Brioni
11-17-2014, 01:31 PM
Hey as long as they keep playing efficiently on offense it isn't a problem.

FringeNC
11-17-2014, 01:32 PM
I don't know why we don't throw fades at the goal line. Cassel racked up bullshit TDs to Bowe on that play in 2010.

Maybe Andy Reid doesn't care about QB stats, but rather winning games.

bevischief
11-17-2014, 01:33 PM
Win, baby win. Good or bad it all counts.

wazu
11-17-2014, 01:34 PM

Ugh, fades are terrible.

POND_OF_RED
11-17-2014, 01:34 PM
1998. Ray Rhodes was the head coach. Nothing to see here...

Rain Man
11-17-2014, 01:37 PM
Honestly who cares as long as we're winning??:shrug:

That's pretty much my thinking. I wouldn't mind winning every game 2-0.

Having said that, the season is still in play, so I guess the concern is whether the team is unbalanced and/or whether opponents can use this information and evolve to play more effective defense. Of course, that would assume that mere mortals could stop Jamaal Charles, so it probably doesn't matter.

Hammock Parties
11-17-2014, 01:40 PM
Love the new Avatar Flop. Big Richard needs to get a version of that.

http://i.imgur.com/g9J3syC.jpg

Hammock Parties
11-17-2014, 01:41 PM
Ugh, fades are terrible.

They're indefensible if executed properly.

POND_OF_RED
11-17-2014, 01:42 PM
Also that team ended 3-13 and started the Andy Reid era in Philadelphia. 3 wins. That just goes to show how great Jamal Charles really is.

RunKC
11-17-2014, 01:42 PM

Especially if you have JJ Watt

jonzie04
11-17-2014, 01:43 PM
Kinda hope we dont throw any this whole season and win the fucking superbowl without any either. And then flip the bird to the nfl golden boys and their pass happy offenses. Ok back down to earth.

Big Poppa Payne
11-17-2014, 01:44 PM
That's pretty much my thinking. I wouldn't mind winning every game 2-0.

Having said that, the season is still in play, so I guess the concern is whether the team is unbalanced and/or whether opponents can use this information and evolve to play more effective defense. Of course, that would assume that mere mortals could stop Jamaal Charles, so it probably doesn't matter.

I agree that seems to be what everyone is concerned about but I don't think we're unbalanced at all, in fact I think the very opposite of that. This is the most balanced I've seen the Chiefs offense since the 03 season. We put together long clock burning drives that wear down opponents defenses and that is how you win in the NFL.

jonzie04
11-17-2014, 01:46 PM
The chiefs have the most balanced o in the league. These dumb fuckers think a balanced offense is 90% pass 10% run.

penbrook
11-17-2014, 01:46 PM
It was 2003 and I think they finished 13-3

Pablo
11-17-2014, 01:55 PM
It was 2003 and I think they finished 13-3Wrong.

The segment said 1998.

Raiderhater
11-17-2014, 02:02 PM
Ugh, fades are terrible.
This

-King-
11-17-2014, 02:08 PM

Because fades are the worst routes in pro football?

Jimmya
11-17-2014, 02:10 PM
ESPN also said the chiefs offense not clicking 100% is a good thing, because imagine what it will look like when we hit a few deep balls. It will open up the running game that much more.

The Franchise
11-17-2014, 02:12 PM
ESPN also said the chiefs offense not clicking 100% is a good thing, because imagine what it will look like when we hit a few deep balls. It will open up the running game that much more.

ROFL

-King-
11-17-2014, 02:13 PM
Wrong.

The segment said 1998.

In 2003 they went 7 games without one. And they only had 5 total WR TDs that year.

Mr. Flopnuts
11-17-2014, 02:13 PM
Oh. Oops. Worthless fucking thread! MODS DELETE!!!

Sorry though...I just assumed it was an Andy coached team when I heard the Eagles. Mah bad.

Coogs
11-17-2014, 02:17 PM

Anyone else but me holding their breath when we tried to pass on 2nd and 1 from the one on the first drive of the game?

Mr. Flopnuts
11-17-2014, 02:17 PM
Anyone else but me holding their breath when we tried to pass on 2nd and 1 from the one on the first drive of the game?

I typed in all caps in the chat room over that one.

POND_OF_RED
11-17-2014, 02:19 PM
Oh. Oops. Worthless ****ing thread! MODS DELETE!!!

Sorry though...I just assumed it was an Andy coached team when I heard the Eagles. Mah bad.

I thought the same thing when I heard it so I went to look up their final record and realized it wasn't Andy. Sean Payton was actually the QB coach that season too. Kind of crazy considering the aerial assault he's developed with Brees

Coogs
11-17-2014, 02:24 PM
I typed in all caps in the chat room over that one.

Lol! I wasn't exactly holding my breath I guess either. I was kind of muttering a few cuss words through the whole play until it was finally over, and even still until JC scored to get us off the hook from having to settle for a FG instead.

-King-
11-17-2014, 02:28 PM
Oh. Oops. Worthless fucking thread! MODS DELETE!!!

The 2003 team was close enough IMO. We'll probably end the season with 4-5 WR TDs just like them.

DaneMcCloud
11-17-2014, 02:36 PM

Why throw fades routes when they have Jamaal Charles and Knile Davis?

TEX
11-17-2014, 02:38 PM

:clap: This.

DaFace
11-17-2014, 02:39 PM
Fades suck. Stats to support that statement.

http://thebiglead.com/2013/11/08/fade-into-the-red-zone-a-look-at-hot-and-cold-nfl-pass-plays-near-the-goal-line/

DaFace
11-17-2014, 02:42 PM
Here's another article examining the question of whether teams try and throw it in the red zone way too much:

http://www.advancedfootballanalytics.com/index.php/home/research/game-strategy/99-are-teams-running-enough-in-the-red-zone

Honestly, in reading those two articles, that's exactly what this team does - runs or short passes that are NOT in the end zone itself, but are then run in for the TD. Is it possible Andy actually knows what he's doing? :)

Hoover
11-17-2014, 02:43 PM
It really doesn't bother me. It would be one thing if we couldn't score but thats not been a problem for us.

-King-
11-17-2014, 02:44 PM

http://thebiglead.com/2013/11/08/fade-into-the-red-zone-a-look-at-hot-and-cold-nfl-pass-plays-near-the-goal-line/

Clay is wrong again. Who are the chances!?

ModSocks
11-17-2014, 02:46 PM
Yeah, so Dane beat me to it.

lcarus
11-17-2014, 02:47 PM
I hate goal line fades. You're a foot from the end zone. Why lob a pass up for grabs? Always struck me as fucking dumb but maybe thats why im not a football coach and watch from my couch?

Hammock Parties
11-17-2014, 02:47 PM

Those are fade passes across the board for the whole league though.

I would argue with an accurate QB like Smith and a WR who is ideally suited to those routes, like Bowe, we should be throwing a lot more of those.

It's certainly better than that play action rollout which has worked maybe ONCE this year for us.

And of course we got stuffed on third and goal yesterday because we decided to run into a brick wall.

If you don't score on 1st and goal from the 1 with a running play...2nd down should be a fade IMO.

lcarus
11-17-2014, 02:49 PM

I would argue with an accurate QB like Smith and a WR who is ideally suited to those routes, like Bowe, we should be throwing a lot more of those.

It's certainly better than that play action rollout which has worked maybe ONCE this year for us.

And of course we got stuffed on third and goal yesterday because we decided to run into a brick wall.

If you don't score on 1st and goal from the 1 with a running play...2nd down should be a fade IMO.

I think we should just keep pounding the rock up their asses.

Hog's Gone Fishin
11-17-2014, 02:50 PM
And we still haven't allowed a rushing TD even after facing Beast mode.

Hootie
11-17-2014, 02:52 PM
Clay, a dumb football take? Color me surprised

kcfanXIII
11-17-2014, 02:53 PM
I think its much ado about nothing. Its not like the Chiefs haven't had any receiving TDs this year. Who cares if the least talented position group on the field isn't getting the ball? They are still scoring points.

Marcellus
11-17-2014, 02:54 PM

Very strange but unrelated stats for sure. Odd.

Rain Man
11-17-2014, 02:58 PM
I hate goal line fades. You're a foot from the end zone. Why lob a pass up for grabs? Always struck me as ****ing dumb but maybe thats why im not a football coach and watch from my couch?

I would be an unimaginative play caller, but I'd either go up the middle with a run or do a quarterback option rollout on every play near the goal line. I love those quarterback rollouts, assuming that you have a quarterback with reasonable mobility.

Rausch
11-17-2014, 02:58 PM

And to think we've done this without DJ or Berry in the box for most of the season...

The Franchise
11-17-2014, 03:00 PM
And to think we've done this without DJ or Berry in the box for most of the season...

This defense would be crazy good with DJ.

Coogs
11-17-2014, 03:01 PM

I'm actually kind of glad the Seahawks tried a fade/pick play fade on 4th and goal yesterday. I'll take our chances there vs Lynch up the middle.

Red Dawg
11-17-2014, 03:18 PM
The great thing about this offense is a defense never knows who is getting the ball. We are not about just one guy that if doubled up causes you problems. Denver lost Thomas and Sanders and could do nothing. We racked up 24 and beat the champs without hardly passing.

Molitoth
11-17-2014, 03:20 PM

Beat me to it.

Reerun_KC
11-17-2014, 03:24 PM

Fantasy stats and personal agendas to support....

John Dope
11-17-2014, 03:26 PM
I said it at the beginning of the season and people killed me for it but the only stat that matters is winning. The Royals should have taught us that.

I also remember arguing with a some guys (Sorter, Milkman, SNR, and Bosschief) about how Reid would run this offense like the one he ran with Westbrook, Pinkston, Mitchell, and Baskett. I argued that it would never be a downfield passing attack. Back then they thought we "had to have Geno" to throw that rock down the field in Reid's system. Pretty funny now.

3-3-6

Hammock Parties
11-17-2014, 03:32 PM
Clay, a dumb football take? Color me surprised

It's not dumb. That play was cash money with Bowe in 2010.

Maybe Alex isn't good at throwing it or something.

Pablo
11-17-2014, 03:33 PM
I did have to admit I got quite the kick out of the Seahawks chucking a fade on 4th and Goal. Beast Mode just wasn't up to going at our MONSTER D-LINE again. Soft ass bitch.

ModSocks
11-17-2014, 03:34 PM

Maybe Alex isn't good at throwing it or something.

Maybe.

Or maybe our screen/run game is so good that NOT doing those things would be a waste of a down.

Hammock Parties
11-17-2014, 03:35 PM
Maybe.

Or maybe our screen/run game is so good that NOT doing those things would be a waste of a down.

Did we or did we not get stuffed on third and goal at the 1 yesterday?

Pablo
11-17-2014, 03:35 PM

Maybe Alex isn't good at throwing it or something.If we had to collectively watch the Chiefs chuck up fades from inside the five, we'd all be livid with Reid's shit play-calling.

I know Bowe is the type of guy you would actually trust with a fade, but it's just such a low percentage play that it doesn't make sense.

Hammock Parties
11-17-2014, 03:36 PM
If we had to collectively watch the Chiefs chuck up fades from inside the five, we'd all be livid with Reid's shit play-calling.

I know Bowe is the type of guy you would actually trust with a fade, but it's just such a low percentage play that it doesn't make sense.

I think it's high percentage with Bowe. Almost a guaranteed TD.

Iconic
11-17-2014, 03:37 PM
Wonder why we never do QB sneaks on 3rd and short. I remember them being extremely effective with Cassel and Smith is every bit as athletic as him sooo....

ModSocks
11-17-2014, 03:38 PM
Did we or did we not get stuffed on third and goal at the 1 yesterday?

How often does that happen?

I'll take Charles for 1 yard any day of the week.

John Dope
11-17-2014, 03:40 PM
If we had to collectively watch the Chiefs chuck up fades from inside the five, we'd all be livid with Reid's shit play-calling.

I don't know about that. He is pretty far into his career and no coach has ever regularly used him as much of an end zone fade guy. His jumping ability is overrated imo.

Hammock Parties
11-17-2014, 03:41 PM

I'm just thinking ahead to the day it happens again.

A TD instead of a FG there could have been the difference in the game.

TimBone
11-17-2014, 03:44 PM
I said it at the beginning of the season and people killed me for it but the only stat that matters is winning. The Royals should have taught us that.

I also remember arguing with a some guys (Sorter, Milkman, SNR, and Bosschief) about how Reid would run this offense like the one he ran with Westbrook, Pinkston, Mitchell, and Baskett. I argued that it would never be a downfield passing attack. Back then they thought we "had to have Geno" to throw that rock down the field in Reid's system. Pretty funny now.

3-3-6
Hi Black Bob!

thabear04
11-17-2014, 03:44 PM
Great news is Jamell Fleming coming back.

Chris Owens is also not going to practice today, but Jamell Fleming is expected to return to work this afternoon.

Iconic
11-17-2014, 03:46 PM
the quarterback sneak has worked 85.9 percent of the time since 2009.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/extra-points/2013/si-most-unstoppable-play-nfl

Reerun_KC
11-17-2014, 03:56 PM

absolutley, The fad is the most over used, over rated play in football... Very low % play and more often than not its a wasted down...

Mr. Flopnuts
11-17-2014, 04:16 PM
Great news is Jamell Fleming coming back.

Chris Owens is also not going to practice today, but Jamell Fleming is expected to return to work this afternoon.

Dude followed me on twitter yesterday out of the blue. I was like, well fuck it then Jamell, I'll follow you too homey!!!

ThaVirus
11-17-2014, 04:16 PM
I've never liked the fade.

I think coaches only call it because there's generally no risk of a sack or INT. Basically you're looking at an incompletion, a TD, or a DPI.

I much prefer the back shoulder to the fade.

NJChiefsFan
11-17-2014, 04:37 PM

Not a fan of them unless you have a top QB that is going to make that perfect throw 80% of the time. I especially hate them on 4th down. So much can go wrong. 1st down is one thing, but Seattle running that on 4th was nuts to me.

jspchief
11-17-2014, 04:58 PM
The fade is just about the most un-Alex Smith play in the game. A touch pass to a covered receiver trusting him to make a play? Smith would rather piss glass than throw that.

beach tribe
11-17-2014, 05:47 PM

I remember a ton of quick slants too, which we need to ditch the traditional slant for.
Bowe runs sloppy routes, making them hardly the weapon they can be.
I'm not trying to bash on Bowe either. That's just not his game.
You are absolutely right about the fades. That is very much his game.

beach tribe
11-17-2014, 05:48 PM
The fade is just about the most un-Alex Smith play in the game. A touch pass to a covered receiver trusting him to make a play? Smith would rather piss glass than throw that.

So true.

beach tribe
11-17-2014, 05:50 PM
Not a fan of them unless you have a top QB that is going to make that perfect throw 80% of the time. I especially hate them on 4th down. So much can go wrong. 1st down is one thing, but Seattle running that on 4th was nuts to me.

LMAO
A Fade from inside the 5 is not exactly a throw that few QBs possess.
It is actually about the Wide Out there.

beach tribe
11-17-2014, 05:52 PM
http://www.footballoutsiders.com/extra-points/2013/si-most-unstoppable-play-nfl

Gotta be on the 1 foot line for that, chap.

Jakemall
11-17-2014, 06:06 PM
Wrong.

The segment said 1998.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2003_Philadelphia_Eagles_season

9 games no receiver recorded a TD 12-4 record. Defense was the weakness.

Mr. Flopnuts
11-17-2014, 06:13 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2003_Philadelphia_Eagles_season

9 games no receiver recorded a TD 12-4 record. Defense was the weakness.

That team had a 1st round bye, and beat the Packers to play in the NFC Championship game where they lost to Carolina.

I like the fucking company...

Color Red
11-17-2014, 06:14 PM
Maybe Andy Reid doesn't care about QB stats, but rather winning games.

I dunno, having a running back run the ball into the endzone from the 15, and messing up the short yardage pass strategy is just something to live with. Sorry if everyone is still upset with not having any wide receiver touchdowns. I hope to get one when we need one.