PDA

View Full Version : Football Phillip Rivers has severely injured ribs

Skyy God
11-20-2014, 11:18 AM
Good luck against the Rams pass rush, brah.

After Antonio Gates spoke out of class and revealed that his quarterback has been dealing with a "severe rib injury," the Chargers closed ranks. Rivers said he was fine. His coach said he wasn't injured. Gates claimed he had been misquoted. Then, yesterday, Rivers showed up on the injury report with a "chest injury." Hmmm.

Up until a month ago, Rivers was having a wonderful, MVP-caliber season, pairing 15 TDs with just three interceptions and pacing the Chargers to a 5-1 record. But over the last four games, San Diego is 1-3 and Rivers has been bad, getting picked six times and averaging fewer than 200 yards per game.

What could have possibly changed a month ago? After Sunday's 13-6 win over the woeful raiders, Gates went to bat for Rivers's toughness. "For those who don't know," Gates said, "he's been dealing with a rib injury, a very severe rib injury, so he's been toughing it out these last three or four weeks." HMMMMM.

Nothing to see here, the Chargers insisted on Monday. Rivers declared he is "no more banged up than other quarterback in the league." Head coach Mike McCoy, in words that just dare you to parse them, stated that Rivers "has not been getting treatment for a rib injury." Gates claimed "some things I had said were taken out of context."

If Rivers's ribs are injured (they totally are), it's clear why the Chargers would want to keep that news in-house—the same reason NFL coaches wish they could take a page from the NHL and list things as "upper-body injuries." Opposing defenders are going to put a little extra oomph into their tackles of Rivers, drop a little extra weight on him and see if they can't turn up his discomfort. Even more than that, it's valuable to a defense to know the QB they're facing has a purely physical reason to want get rid of the ball under pressure.

So, even after ending up on the injury report, Rivers wants to assure anyone paying attention that it's no big deal, no reason the Rams should target his trunk on Sunday. From Chargers.com, which made some very interesting choices in clarification (the stuff in the brackets that Rivers didn't actually say, but the reporter assumes he meant):

"I feel good," he said. "Shoot, it's part of playing this position [to] get banged up here and there. I feel as good as I could ask to feel at this point in the season. If we told you every knick and knack we ever had, it'd be a long list and things you wouldn't care to hear about. It wouldn't be worth reporting that, for sure. It's not at all [something I've been dealing with for a while]. Mainly close to that last hit in the game I got caught landing on the football. It's nothing that's going to linger or cause me to miss any time on the practice field [or in the game]."

Anyway, if you happen to run into Philip Rivers over the next few weeks, and you're an old buddy who hasn't seen him in a while, just don't hug him too hard, OK?

http://deadspin.com/the-chargers-are-still-trying-to-hide-philip-riverss-in-1661078532

Skyy God
11-20-2014, 11:20 AM
Also, the Chiefs played them 4.5 weeks ago..... wonder if it was a hit from that game.

Mr. Laz
11-20-2014, 11:31 AM
Also, the Chiefs played them 4.5 weeks ago..... wonder if it was a hit from that game.

Chargers didn't look the same after that game

Rausch
11-20-2014, 11:33 AM

What matters is it will definitely be an issue come our next game...

ModSocks
11-20-2014, 11:33 AM
They've been talking about this on the radio all week. I'd like to back and figure out which Chief killed Rivers and the Chargers but sadly that game got auto-deleted from my DVR.

Dayze
11-20-2014, 11:34 AM
it's too bad he plays for the Chargers; I've always respected the dude. he's a tough SOB.

ModSocks
11-20-2014, 11:34 AM
it's too bad he plays for the Chargers; I've always respected the dude. he's a tough SOB.

Played in the AFC championship game without an ACL. Dude is an iron man for sure.

Hog's Gone Fishin
11-20-2014, 11:35 AM
Phyllis Rivers has the menstruals.

Dayze
11-20-2014, 11:36 AM
"sometimes I gets the menstrual cramps REAL hard"

highBOLTage
11-20-2014, 12:51 PM
They've been talking about this on the radio all week. I'd like to back and figure out which Chief killed Rivers and the Chargers but sadly that game got auto-deleted from my DVR.

He took a big hit the week before at Oakland which he was slow to get up from and they just ran the ball to end that game. Probably happened there. Rivers accuracy was off from the first throw in KC game. His accuracy was likely best in the league first 6 weeks (little bit off in the ARI game) to pathetic these last 4.

Beef Supreme
11-20-2014, 01:02 PM
"sometimes I gets the menstrual cramps REAL hard"

"And when there was no crawdad, we ate sand."

Jimmya
11-20-2014, 01:29 PM
He'll find a way to play through it...maybe we'll have to hit him even harder at Arrowhead!

Rausch
11-20-2014, 01:30 PM
I want to see a cartoon of Houston choking him out with his own bolo tie...

TLO
11-20-2014, 01:44 PM
May as well put him on IR and let him get healthy. That team isn't going anywhere anyway.

Coochie liquor
11-20-2014, 01:50 PM
Chargers didn't look the same after that game

Partially because they had a cakewalk sched up to that game. Then they were exposed like we were last year, after we started playing playoff caliber teams.

jonzie04
11-20-2014, 02:03 PM

+1 I also love the way he plays the game. Hes like a little kid out there.

ThaVirus
11-20-2014, 02:05 PM
+1 I also love the way he plays the game. Hes like a little kid out there.

"Like a little kid" is actually a good way to describe him.

I've always hated that description anyway. "Look at him, he's just out there having fun like a kid on a sandlot".

They used to pull that shit for Tony Romo and Brett Favre all the time. Why do I give a shit if the guy is smiling while he's winning? Annoying ass media cock gobblers.

Dayze
11-20-2014, 02:10 PM

I've always hated that description anyway. "Look at him, he's just out there having fun like a kid on a sandlot".

They used to pull that shit for Tony Romo and Brett Favre all the time. Why do I give a shit if the guy is smiling while he's winning? Annoying ass media cock gobblers.

LMAO

Skyy God
11-20-2014, 02:21 PM

"He does it the right way".

jonzie04
11-20-2014, 02:22 PM

:) its fun as hell watching those kinds of guys play especially farve. I lost my shit last year when rivers ran over to andy.

gblowfish
11-20-2014, 02:23 PM
Screw Phyllis.
He's a little whiny bitch.

Buck
11-20-2014, 02:37 PM
No he doesn't.

TimBone
11-20-2014, 02:49 PM
Partially because they had a cakewalk sched up to that game. Then they were exposed like we were last year, after we started playing playoff caliber teams.
Yep. And what's funny is Gadzooks gets on us about buying into last year's Chiefs, and he was fucking sold on the Chargers when they were playing the cake schedule early this year. I found it amusing.

Gadzooks
11-20-2014, 03:42 PM
To clarify, I wasn't sold on the Chargers during the cupcake portion of their schedule.
The amount of injuries on the O-Line and D have been a major point of concern throughout the season.

Gadzooks
11-20-2014, 03:43 PM
To clarify, I wasn't sold on the Chargers during the cupcake portion of their schedule.
The amount of injuries on the O-Line and D have been a major point of concern throughout the season.

FlaChief58
11-20-2014, 03:48 PM
He seems nice

Fuck him

TimBone
11-20-2014, 03:51 PM
Bullshit. There was a thread you posted in where you had them listed as one of the top four teams in the league.

Pepe Silvia
11-20-2014, 03:52 PM
Dude has a great cowboy voice in his post game interviews.

Gadzooks
11-20-2014, 03:55 PM
Bullshit. There was a thread you posted in where you had them listed as one of the top four teams in the league.

Bullshit. I'm a fan but I don't wear homer goggles.

TimBone
11-20-2014, 04:07 PM
Bullshit. I'm a fan but I don't wear homer goggles.
http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=287130

Posts #25 and #34.

Skyy God
11-20-2014, 04:42 PM
No he doesn't.

Is that something you believe, as a Chargers fan, to make yourself feel better?

Marcellus
11-20-2014, 04:43 PM
Is ribs the new slang word for labia?

Gadzooks
11-20-2014, 05:12 PM
http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=287130

Posts #25 and #34.

That's bologna (ba-lo-nee). I agreed with Hamas' assessment at the time and I generally agree with most Power Rankings putting them in the bottom half now.

Rivers playing with an injury, to go along with the rest of the O-Line and Defensive injuries, makes that big of a difference.

Also, It's not like the Chargers were playing 2nd and 3rd string QBs during their stretch.
Seahawks - 30-21
Bills - 22-10
Jags - 33-14
Jets - 31-0

It's thought Rivers was injured in the first Raiders game (a 31-28 win), since then they're 1-3. Go figure...

(BTW - Nice research but you missed the point.)

TimBone
11-20-2014, 05:31 PM
That's bologna (ba-lo-nee). I agreed with Hamas' assessment at the time and I generally agree with most Power Rankings putting them in the bottom half now.

Rivers playing with an injury, to go along with the rest of the O-Line and Defensive injuries, makes that big of a difference.

Also, It's not like the Chargers were playing 2nd and 3rd string QBs during their stretch.
Seahawks - 30-21
Bills - 22-10
Jags - 33-14
Jets - 31-0

It's thought Rivers was injured in the first Raiders game (a 31-28 win), since then they're 1-3. Go figure...

(BTW - Nice research but you missed the point.)
No. You missed the point. I said you were buying into the hype, and labeled them a top four team.

You said "BULLSHIT. IM NO HOMER. BLAH BLAH BLAH."

I provided evidence that you bought into the hype and had indeed agreed that they were a top four team.

Just own up to it.

ThaVirus
11-20-2014, 06:04 PM
Stop whining about injuries, Charger fan douche. Do you realize how many new starters and contributors we have now as opposed to last year, or even the start of this season?

Red Dawg
11-20-2014, 06:10 PM
Bye Chargers. No playoff run for you.

Pasta Little Brioni
11-20-2014, 06:13 PM
Own your dumbassery gazook

Buck
11-20-2014, 06:25 PM
Is that something you believe, as a Chargers fan, to make yourself feel better?

No. I just thin the word "severe" is being misused.

NinerDoug
11-20-2014, 06:28 PM
He's always seemed like kind of a dick wad to me. Having a hard time feeling sorry for him.

Gadzooks
11-20-2014, 06:30 PM
Stop whining about injuries, Charger fan douche. Do you realize how many new starters and contributors we have now as opposed to last year, or even the start of this season?

The majority of CPers are isolated to injury related news related to the the other 31 teams in the league and think that the loss of DJ and DeVito in Week 1 means they're overcoming insurmountable odds with every win. Meanwhile, the news that Rivers has been playing injured for the past 5 weeks leaked on Sunday evening and is talked about 4 days later here.

The casual fan doesn't care about other teams injuries unless it effects their fantasy team.

Gadzooks
11-20-2014, 06:33 PM
No. You missed the point. I said you were buying into the hype, and labeled them a top four team.

You said "BULLSHIT. IM NO HOMER. BLAH BLAH BLAH."

I provided evidence that you bought into the hype and had indeed agreed that they were a top four team.

Just own up to it.

When Rivers was healthy I thought they were a top 4 team and they were.

Is that what this was all about?

Pasta Little Brioni
11-20-2014, 06:37 PM
You are spinning out of control

TimBone
11-20-2014, 06:52 PM

When Rivers was healthy I thought they were a top 4 team and they were.

Is that what this was all about?

WTF? I can't even...

It's been fun, bud. But if you're gonna contradict yourself every other post, then there is no point in discussing anything.

Gadzooks
11-20-2014, 07:04 PM
WTF? I can't even...

It's been fun, bud. But if you're gonna contradict yourself every other post, then there is no point in discussing anything.

Where's the contradiction? I thought they were top 4 at the time but wasn't "sold" and worried about the injuries.
How could anyone be "sold" on any NFL team when there are so many variables?

I knew the OL injuries could lead to poor QB play, or worse, an injured QB. That's what ended up happening and that's why I wasn't "sold". :rolleyes: Sheesh. I'm not sure you're sure what you're trying to prove at this point.

TimBone
11-20-2014, 07:42 PM
:facepalm:Where's the contradiction? I thought they were top 4 at the time but wasn't "sold" and worried about the injuries.
How could anyone be "sold" on any NFL team when there are so many variables?

I knew the OL injuries could lead to poor QB play, or worse, an injured QB. That's what ended up happening and that's why I wasn't "sold". :rolleyes: Sheesh. I'm not sure you're sure what you're trying to prove at this point.

:facepalm:

Gadzooks
11-20-2014, 07:43 PM
You're being teh ghey.

Buck
11-20-2014, 10:41 PM
Haha fuck you Cave Johnson