PDA

View Full Version : Life Any Farmers in CP kingdom? Need tractor and gator recommendations!

Trivers
11-29-2014, 08:55 PM
Anybody want FREE horse poop? Good for your gardens!

We are adding to our "petting zone" as wife wants horses and a DONKEY!

I am not moving all that manure by hand or in the back of my F150.

Soooooo, we are learning about tractors and gator-type equipment.

From what little I've learned so far, I'm leaning towards a 30HP to 40 HP tractor. Why the hell are they so expensive????

1) Why is John Deere more expensive that the other brands?

2) What is your favorite brand?

3) What web sites do you follow for good deals on equipment? Craigslist? Tractorhouse?

4) Any advice about buying a tractor or gator?

--This coupon good for one FREE 25lb bag of horse and donkey poop--

TimBone
11-29-2014, 08:57 PM
Nobody wants to deal with your horse shit.

TribalElder
11-29-2014, 08:57 PM
Don't get a Florida gator, it will let you down when you need it most lol

Baby Lee
11-29-2014, 08:59 PM
http://www.mytractorforum.com/

Dayze
11-29-2014, 09:00 PM
Farmersonly.com

Saulbadguy
11-29-2014, 09:01 PM
New Holland > John Deere

Bugeater
11-29-2014, 09:01 PM
Be careful, Trivers has a tender vagina.

Saulbadguy
11-29-2014, 09:02 PM
YOU WANT TO TALK SHIT ON NEW HOLLAND? COME AT ME, BRO

Ming the Merciless
11-29-2014, 09:04 PM
https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ2cy62aGtVJ5EciYzEUOmYjxLihdWzCHW2fNAk_ihrB45zqv1LKw

Trivers
11-29-2014, 09:05 PM

I should have seen that one coming! :doh!:

stonedstooge
11-29-2014, 09:14 PM
How many horses and donkeys? Those are pretty expensive toys for moving a little manure

Mr_Tomahawk
11-29-2014, 09:16 PM
New Holland > John Deere

This.

Trivers
11-29-2014, 09:17 PM
How many horses and donkeys? Those are pretty expensive toys for moving a little manure

three.

We are city slickers. Wifey has chickens. Now we adding ducks, horses, and a DONKEY!

Trivers
11-29-2014, 09:17 PM
This.

Thank you.

Why?

displacedinMN
11-29-2014, 09:20 PM
John Deere-pay for the name.

Dad has a Kubota utility. A lot of attachments that you can add to it.

Simplicity
11-29-2014, 09:26 PM
New Holland.

LoneWolf
11-29-2014, 09:28 PM
If all you're doing is moving manure, buy a skid steer. Find an old Case 1845.

Perineum Ripper
11-29-2014, 09:52 PM

From what little I've learned so far, I'm leaning towards a 30HP to 40 HP tractor. Why the hell are they so expensive????

3) What web sites do you follow for good deals on equipment? Craigslist? Tractorhouse?

John Deere you pay for the name..they are good tractors and you do get very good service if you buy brand new

I love Case IH..grew up with them and have always ran them..I have a Case Maxxum 110 and 140 both with a loader..great tractors

Look on TractorHouse..that is where I got my 140 from..if you find a tractor you like..research that tractor by running a search on that type only and see how the price stacks up

If you go UTV get a Polaris Ranger..a 900 XP is what I have and it is used everyday..it makes chores so much easier

If you are looking to buy a tractor it is just like buying a car..look at the outside of the tractor to see how the body looks..a nice body normally means it was kept inside and not beat on..normally..check to see how much lug is left on the tires..check out how many hours it has..find out what kind of maintenance it has had done on it..buy from a dealer if possible

Buehler445
11-29-2014, 10:01 PM

I'm not really up on the utility tractor market. The only tractor I have that is roughly your size is older than I am, but I can answer your questions.

1. Deere used to be significantly higher quality than everything else. It's really not anymore. The cabs, at least on the big equipment is better, but that's about it. If you're looking at older Deere units, they're higher because they were better. Engine, transmission, hydraulics were better through the early 90's.

2. My brand is Deere but it is because I'm 5 miles from the deere dealer and 50 from a red dealer, and incomprehensibly far from everything else.

3. Tractorhouse is the most comprehensive. But you can find some deals from auctions like Purple Wave and Big Iron. I'd suggest purple wave. They're pretty upfront with conditions.

4. It all depends on what you're wanting to spend as to what you're going to end up with.

a.Get one from whatever color you can get parts for. Service too if you're not mechanically inclined.

b. Make sure you get one with a loader and make sure there are multiple hydraulic outlets so you can put a scraper on with your loader. Or mower. Or whatever.

c. Pay attention to ballast. Shit is heavy. Don't flip the bitch over or dump it on it's nose.

d. A few years ago, Deere started offering ones that were all mechanical. No electronic control units or computers, depending on what you want, that might be where its at.

e. If you can afford it, get a cab. Seriously. If not, buy a cheapie and start saving for one. There is nothing better than moving shit and mowing with a cab. And not much worse than without.

f. Don't cheap out on hydraulics. There is no replacement for hydraulic flow, no matter the HP.

g. If you're going used, and you buy one from the south, quadruple check that bastard for rust.

If you have some specific questions on a model, I can tell you what to look for.

Good luck.

srvy
11-29-2014, 10:34 PM
John Deere you pay for the name..they are good tractors and you do get very good service if you buy brand new

I love Case IH..grew up with them and have always ran them..I have a Case Maxxum 110 and 140 both with a loader..great tractors

Look on TractorHouse..that is where I got my 140 from..if you find a tractor you like..research that tractor by running a search on that type only and see how the price stacks up

If you go UTV get a Polaris Ranger..a 900 XP is what I have and it is used everyday..it makes chores so much easier

If you are looking to buy a tractor it is just like buying a car..look at the outside of the tractor to see how the body looks..a nice body normally means it was kept inside and not beat on..normally..check to see how much lug is left on the tires..check out how many hours it has..find out what kind of maintenance it has had done on it..buy from a dealer if possible

I can vouch for Polaris UTV in my line of work we have really put them in places probably not recommended. Also have used Club Car and Kawaski. CC is excellent and polaris equal. The Kaw was a bit more maintenance and had less clearance something the Deere Gator shares if thats a problem.

Buehler445
11-29-2014, 10:36 PM
On UTVs I probably wouldn't go with a Deere. There are dudes far more qualified than me, but we have a Gator and I don't like it.

MOhillbilly
11-29-2014, 10:47 PM
You do not need or want a cab on a tractor that's rated 40 and below hp.

Big tractors in small spaces suck.

4 wheel drive

A bucket with teeth

I have a m5400 kubota

Parts are extremely high through a dealer but aftermarket parts are up to 80% less.

I don't give a shit about a brand( they are all metric these days) as much as if the equipment can do the job for what I can afford. The end

Sweet Daddy Hate
11-29-2014, 10:48 PM
Buy a 1978 International Harvester. No, I don't know jack about farm implements, but by God this thread is about manure!

IN.

Buehler445
11-29-2014, 10:49 PM
You do not need or want a cab on a tractor that's rated 40 and below hp.

Big tractors in small spaces suck.

4 wheel drive

A bucket with teeth

I have a m5400 kubota

Parts are extremely high through a dealer but aftermarket parts are up to 80% less.

I don't give a shit about a brand( they are all metric these days) as much as if the equipment can do the job for what I can afford. The end

Can you really get anything moved with 40 HP? The smallest I've used is 60, and it kills me.

I'm really not up on utility tractors.

MOhillbilly
11-29-2014, 10:54 PM
Can you really get anything moved with 40 HP? The smallest I've used is 60, and it kills me.

I'm really not up on utility tractors.

It would take a shit ton of loads.

When I bought mine I went for one with a high load rating. Edit( that I could afford and turn around in tight spots)

Tbh the dude is probably better off gettin as skid steer

Mav
11-29-2014, 10:58 PM
Be careful, Trivers has a tender vagina.
You should talk you angry geriatric Fuck.

Mav
11-29-2014, 10:59 PM
three.

We are city slickers. Wifey has chickens. Now we adding ducks, horses, and a DONKEY!
I want a duck

Sweet Daddy Hate
11-29-2014, 11:02 PM
I want a duck

Or a rabbit. That would be nice.

Mav
11-29-2014, 11:03 PM
Or a rabbit. That would be nice.
My sister had a rabbit. I wasn't a fan. But a duck? Dude, bath time would be awesome.

Sweet Daddy Hate
11-29-2014, 11:04 PM
My sister had a rabbit. I wasn't a fan. But a duck? Dude, bath time would be awesome.

LMAO

Rabbit's are cool, but horrible pets. Like overgrown Guinea Pigs.

Mav
11-29-2014, 11:05 PM
LMAO

Rabbit's are cool, but horrible pets. Like overgrown Guinea Pigs.
Plus it would Fuck my cat. Probably.

How was thanksgiving?

Sweet Daddy Hate
11-29-2014, 11:06 PM
Plus it would Fuck my cat. Probably.

How was thanksgiving?

It was awesome, thank you for asking. And you?

Mav
11-29-2014, 11:07 PM
It was awesome, thank you for asking. And you?
Not too bad. The food was amazing, kids weren't too bad, and I got laid.....

By my wife.

That's success my friend!

Sweet Daddy Hate
11-29-2014, 11:09 PM
Not too bad. The food was amazing, kids weren't too bad, and I got laid.....

By my wife.

That's success my friend!

LMAO

Excellent work.

Buehler445
11-29-2014, 11:29 PM
It would take a shit ton of loads.

When I bought mine I went for one with a high load rating. Edit( that I could afford and turn around in tight spots)

Tbh the dude is probably better off gettin as skid steer

Skid steer would definitely load shit faster. As long as he wasn't using too big of truck. But it depends on what he needs to do with it.

If he has decent size pens a box scraper could do him some good. And if he has enough acreage a 3 point or even a flex wing mower could be used. Although I think I've seen front mount hydraulic drive mowers for skid steers (pto drive would be way better). And of course disks or blade plows would need a tractor.

Really just depends on what's he's got to work with.

Eleazar
11-30-2014, 12:40 AM
http://www.reactiongifs.us/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/pile_of_shit.gif

Simply Red
11-30-2014, 02:40 AM
paging farmer-chief - LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

Reerun_KC
11-30-2014, 06:01 AM
Buehler_445 is the guy I would trust on tractor advice.

Class guy and family.

tmax63
11-30-2014, 07:39 AM
Best advice I can give is along Buehler's line. Get one where you can get parts/service easily and close by. Nothing like starting out with a $400 pickup/delivery fee when it needs to go to a dealer/mechanic for repairs because the closest dealer is 100 miles away. Initial expense can be eaten up real quick with cheaper/faster/easier service bills down the road.

Trivers
11-30-2014, 09:22 AM
Thank you everyone for the excellent advice!

Trivers
11-30-2014, 09:52 AM
Skid steer would definitely load shit faster. As long as he wasn't using too big of truck. But it depends on what he needs to do with it.

If he has decent size pens a box scraper could do him some good. And if he has enough acreage a 3 point or even a flex wing mower could be used. Although I think I've seen front mount hydraulic drive mowers for skid steers (pto drive would be way better). And of course disks or blade plows would need a tractor.

Really just depends on what's he's got to work with.

I've looked at the price of a used skid steer. A good one ($10K-$20K) costs almost as much as a used 35HP tractor ($18K).

We have 9 acres and looking to add 10 more. We are creating 7 paddocks.

No clue what is a box scraper. Will have to research. :hmmm:

Iowanian
11-30-2014, 11:14 AM
How many horses are you talking?

Are you feeding large round bales, large square or small square bales of hay?

I'm asking because you may want to think outside the box. Have you considered a Bobcat "Tool Cat"? I can't imagine a UTV, a dump trailer, a shovel and pitch fork don't handle most of this business....assuming the manure is the issue. Compost it.

Tombstone RJ
11-30-2014, 12:11 PM
buy a used tractor or if you insist on buying a new one, go with the one with the best warranty, period.

Trivers
11-30-2014, 01:17 PM
How many horses are you talking?

Are you feeding large round bales, large square or small square bales of hay?

I'm asking because you may want to think outside the box. Have you considered a Bobcat "Tool Cat"? I can't imagine a UTV, a dump trailer, a shovel and pitch fork don't handle most of this business....assuming the manure is the issue. Compost it.

Hay!!! That has been a WHOLE NOTHER learning experience. Round, big square, small square, 1st cut, 2nd cut, 3rd cut, "how the hell do you quantify the mass of a flake?" as a horse gets several per feeding, hay!

We are torn about buying a Tool Cat or gator as they cost $10-12K. We are scared that we will invest in one; only to find out later that we should have spent the extra $8K-12K for a tractor with a loader.

Thank you for your good feedback!

Iowanian
11-30-2014, 01:26 PM
The truth is, if you're a very small operation and are basically a hobby farmer with some horses, you could go buy a 20 year old tractor, without a cab with a loader, hay mover and brush hog that will do everything you need to do. You might also look at the Kubota packages.

It doesn't sound to me like you have the volume of manure that would require much. If you're clearning stalls, just shovel it or rent a skid steer once a month to handle the larger piles, or pay someone to push your lots into piles. You're not going to have the volume of a cattle feed lot.

Unless you just WANT to spend money, go to trusted dealerships, cruise tractorhouse.com and find something big enough to do what you need.

As for the Ranger, I know a lot of people with them and they're te big name, but I'll tell you I have one with less than 250hrs that has had over 10k in repairs including an engine rebuild recently.

Buehler445
11-30-2014, 02:58 PM
I've looked at the price of a used skid steer. A good one ($10K-$20K) costs almost as much as a used 35HP tractor ($18K).

We have 9 acres and looking to add 10 more. We are creating 7 paddocks.

No clue what is a box scraper. Will have to research. :hmmm:

https://www.deere.com/common/media/images/product/frontier_implements/landscape_equipment/box_blades/bb21_series_box_blades/BB21Series_BoxBlades_JD_P002G3F81975V_642x462.png

Box scraper. Scrapes the shit up over an area so you can drop it in a pile to pick up.

You probably need something you can get a mower on. Bobcats can do that, but I don't know what it takes. A PTO driven mower is more power efficient and if I had to guess, cheaper.

I don't know much about 35 HP units, but you better make sure it can lift a big bale (1500-2000 lbs) SAFELY before you drop the dough, if you're going with big bales.

FWIW, big bales are a lot cheaper to tie up, so they're going to be cheaper to buy.

Buehler445
11-30-2014, 03:06 PM
Hay!!! That has been a WHOLE NOTHER learning experience. Round, big square, small square, 1st cut, 2nd cut, 3rd cut, "how the hell do you quantify the mass of a flake?" as a horse gets several per feeding, hay!

We are torn about buying a Tool Cat or gator as they cost $10-12K. We are scared that we will invest in one; only to find out later that we should have spent the extra $8K-12K for a tractor with a loader.

Thank you for your good feedback!

I'm not much for a feed guy, but alfalfa gets stemmy and tough as the year goes on. The first cutting is mostly leaves and is really tender and easy to digest. Horse people love it but it costs serious jack.

I've heard of dudes feeding their horses everything. But it depends on what you're doing with them. The one thing I do know is horses fucking love oat hay, and it is fairly cheap.

Talk to your county extension agent (if you're in Kansas) about feed rations. They'll be able to point you in the right direction.

scho63
11-30-2014, 03:59 PM
All you farm boys are all getting boners over all this farm equipment talk! :D

Buehler445
11-30-2014, 04:02 PM
All you farm boys are all getting boners over all this farm equipment talk! :D

Hell no. If I could get by without equipment I would. I would love to not spend money on machinery that breaks down and wears out.

Perineum Ripper
11-30-2014, 04:18 PM
Bitches love my tractor

MOhillbilly
12-05-2014, 11:59 PM
https://www.deere.com/common/media/images/product/frontier_implements/landscape_equipment/box_blades/bb21_series_box_blades/BB21Series_BoxBlades_JD_P002G3F81975V_642x462.png

Box scraper. Scrapes the shit up over an area so you can drop it in a pile to pick up.

You probably need something you can get a mower on. Bobcats can do that, but I don't know what it takes. A PTO driven mower is more power efficient and if I had to guess, cheaper.

I don't know much about 35 HP units, but you better make sure it can lift a big bale (1500-2000 lbs) SAFELY before you drop the dough, if you're going with big bales.

FWIW, big bales are a lot cheaper to tie up, so they're going to be cheaper to buy.
50 horse and up is the only thing that'll handle a a 1500-1600 pound bale. You put one out with a 35 and you're front wheel won't touch the ground.

Reerun_KC
12-06-2014, 12:09 AM
trivers. I need o come up and visit you this spring.

Buehler445
12-06-2014, 12:26 AM
50 horse and up is the only thing that'll handle a a 1500-1600 pound bale. You put one out with a 35 and you're front wheel won't touch the ground.

I'm not a livestock guy. I'd listen to MO. But if I were gearing up to handle four legs I would get a tractor that can handle a roundbale. JMO.

My grandpa rigged up spears on his 3 point so he could handle two bales in the back and two on the loader. I think he bought a diamondbar cultivator and chopped it up and turned the shanks out and welded spears on them. Pretty easy.

Maybe you don't want to do four but two would be a must IMO.

Pasta Little Brioni
12-06-2014, 01:05 AM
You don't have to be lonely...