PDA

View Full Version : Money F*ing suits....

penguinz
12-02-2014, 10:04 AM
Why don't they make a suit jacket designed for someone that is not a couch potato?

I can't afford a custom made suit so I feel like I am wearing a straight jacket.

KC native
12-02-2014, 10:05 AM
You bought the wrong size.

Simply Red
12-02-2014, 10:06 AM
I just threw my 400$ Ck away - I guess i should have tried to sell it on CL - but the immediate available space it provided was well worth it.

I'd like to recommend Calvin Klein as you brand you look in to. Good luck.

Eleazar
12-02-2014, 10:08 AM
Buy the correct size, and then have it altered for fine-tuning. You won't get a suit that fits properly off the rack.

My favorites are Kenneth Cole. Good price/quality ratio.

penguinz
12-02-2014, 10:09 AM
You bought the wrong size.

Not the wrong size. Was fitted.

stumppy
12-02-2014, 10:10 AM
I just threw my 400$ Ck away - I guess i should have tried to sell it on CL - but the immediate available space it provided was well worth it.

I'd like to recommend Calvin Klein as you brand you look in to. Good luck.

I'll pay the shipping if the next one you want to throw away happens to be a 42-44 R. :D

KC native
12-02-2014, 10:11 AM

The guy fitted you wrong.

I have to buy suits and have them tailored because my shoulders are very broad so I generally have to have the sleeves shortened and have the waist taken in a bit.

Fish
12-02-2014, 10:14 AM

http://i58.tinypic.com/oaxj79.gif

Saccopoo
12-02-2014, 10:18 AM

I have to buy suits and have them tailored because my shoulders are very broad so I generally have to have the sleeves shortened and have the waist taken in a bit.

http://i.huffpost.com/gadgets/slideshows/212763/slide_212763_757137_free.jpg

Hammock Parties
12-02-2014, 10:22 AM
I actually found great fits and K&G wearhouse in KC. They have a lot of slim fit suits.

Rain Man
12-02-2014, 10:26 AM
I always envisioned penguinz as more of a tuxedo guy.

KC native
12-02-2014, 10:31 AM
http://i.huffpost.com/gadgets/slideshows/212763/slide_212763_757137_free.jpg

I'm not a midget.

Baby Lee
12-02-2014, 10:33 AM
http://i.usatoday.net/life/_photos/2011/06/06/white-collar-covert-affairs-NF5F7GI-x-large.jpg

penguinz
12-02-2014, 10:47 AM

I thought it wasn't fitted properly as well. Took it back in and talked to a different tailor and he said it was fitted correctly.

LoneWolf
12-02-2014, 10:53 AM
I thought it wasn't fitted properly as well. Took it back in and talked to a different tailor and he said it was fitted correctly.

When you say you feel like you are in a straight jacket, do you mean the shoulders feel tight and when you cross your arms you feel like Chris Farley in David Spade's coat in Tommy Boy?

If that is the case, you have the wrong size jacket. The suit jacket is all about how it fits the shoulders. Find a good suit (I wear mostly Calvin Klein and Ralph Lauren suits) that fits your shoulders comfortably. The next step is to take the jacket to a professional tailor (not some jackass that works for the store where you bought the jacket) and have it tailored to fit you. Problem solved.

KC native
12-02-2014, 11:02 AM
When you say you feel like you are in a straight jacket, do you mean the shoulders feel tight and when you cross your arms you feel like Chris Farley in David Spade's coat in Tommy Boy?

If that is the case, you have the wrong size jacket. The suit jacket is all about how it fits the shoulders. Find a good suit (I wear mostly Calvin Klein and Ralph Lauren suits) that fits your shoulders comfortably. The next step is to take the jacket to a professional tailor (not some jackass that works for the store where you bought the jacket) and have it tailored to fit you. Problem solved.

This is solid advice.

Rain Man
12-02-2014, 11:11 AM
I've had some pants altered by a Korean tailor lady near my house, and she always makes the pants too short. Always. I adjusted, and when she would pin the hems I would say, "Now add an inch." She would add a quarter-inch and I would say, "More. Add a full inch." So she would add a full inch to get them to the right length, and then I'd get them back and she'd shortened them back up after I left.

My point being that clothes should be comfortable for the wearer, and tailors don't always understand or abide by that. So you have to find the right tailor.

Also, I had a bunch of my clothes adjusted when I lost a fair amount of weight a few years back. She said something like, "Ohhhh, you used be fat. You not fat now."

A couple of years later, I took something in to be tailored and she looked at me and said, "Ohhh, you getting fatter." I'd gained back maybe 10 pounds of the 40 that I'd lost.

My point also being that tailors may not have tact, especially if they're older Korean women.

LoneWolf
12-02-2014, 11:31 AM
I've had some pants altered by a Korean tailor lady near my house, and she always makes the pants too short. Always. I adjusted, and when she would pin the hems I would say, "Now add an inch." She would add a quarter-inch and I would say, "More. Add a full inch." So she would add a full inch to get them to the right length, and then I'd get them back and she'd shortened them back up after I left.

My point being that clothes should be comfortable for the wearer, and tailors don't always understand or abide by that. So you have to find the right tailor.

Also, I had a bunch of my clothes adjusted when I lost a fair amount of weight a few years back. She said something like, "Ohhhh, you used be fat. You not fat now."

A couple of years later, I took something in to be tailored and she looked at me and said, "Ohhh, you getting fatter." I'd gained back maybe 10 pounds of the 40 that I'd lost.

My point also being that tailors may not have tact, especially if they're older Korean women.

The tailor I go to is an old man in his 70s. I don't trust women to tailor any of my clothes. When I tell a man that I like my suit sleeves long enough that my dress shirt doesn't show when I'm bringing my crown and coke glass up to my lips, I know he understands what the fuck I'm talking about.

Katipan
12-02-2014, 11:33 AM

I love the fact that you keep going back.

Dartgod
12-02-2014, 11:38 AM
I hate big clothes.

Baby Lee
12-02-2014, 11:45 AM

Yo!! Paisan!!

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/fANwTBK3Ylg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

mikeyis4dcats.
12-02-2014, 12:12 PM

the happy ending is worth it

Pablo
12-02-2014, 12:18 PM
The tailor I go to is an old man in his 70s. I don't trust women to tailor any of my clothes. When I tell a man that I like my suit sleeves long enough that my dress shirt doesn't show when I'm bringing my crown and coke glass up to my lips, I know he understands what the fuck I'm talking about.He understands you're the kind of mind that needs to mix his whiskey with coke.

Pablo
12-02-2014, 12:18 PM
As far as Suits go; it's an awful show. My wife records it and I have caught enough of it to know that nobody should watch it.

Rain Man
12-02-2014, 12:34 PM

I don't always make the best decisions.

Dartgod
12-02-2014, 12:36 PM

You're a Chiefs fan. Tell us something we don't know.

Katipan
12-02-2014, 12:39 PM

I have thoroughly enjoyed Denver's laundry scene. I have a large amount of daily laundry so when it comes to comforter/sheet day... bleh. There's a laundry place nearby with machines that hold 8 loads and sends me a text when almost done.

It's all run by a scary old Korean lady too.

Baby Lee
12-02-2014, 12:51 PM
As far as Suits go; it's an awful show. My wife records it and I have caught enough of it to know that nobody should watch it.

Meh, it has convincingly acted, if not highly plausible, plots.
It has Louis Litt
Most importantly, it has 3 of the most attractive females in all of TV.

https://pbs.twimg.com/profile_images/378800000422251626/5fb14daea362bef1bfcec39a7d58c895.png

http://ilarge.listal.com/image/4721884/936full-meghan-markle.jpg

http://img2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20130907215804/suits/images/7/73/Abigail_Spencer.jpg

Beef Supreme
12-02-2014, 12:55 PM
http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mbwfsquDxW1rriqsw.gif

LoneWolf
12-02-2014, 12:56 PM
He understands you're the kind of mind that needs to mix his whiskey with coke.

You're confusing needs with wants. I don't need to mix my whiskey with coke, but I want to because that's the way I prefer to drink.

Rain Man
12-02-2014, 12:57 PM
You're a Chiefs fan. Tell us something we don't know.

I guess there's a good metaphor in there regarding me going back time after time, being inadvertently insulted, and then coming out looking like a rube.

Rain Man
12-02-2014, 01:02 PM
I have thoroughly enjoyed Denver's laundry scene. I have a large amount of daily laundry so when it comes to comforter/sheet day... bleh. There's a laundry place nearby with machines that hold 8 loads and sends me a text when almost done.

It's all run by a scary old Korean lady too.

Does the scary old Korean lady text you, or do the machines text you?

My dry cleaner is a Korean guy, though he's also kind of Japanese. His family was initially from Hiroshima, but they migrated from there to Korea after World War II. I'm assuming it had something to do with having atomic bombs dropped on them, but I never asked.

Anyway, he's been my dry cleaner for twenty years, but I never got his name early on and with each passing year it becomes more awkward to ask. I need to come up with some subterfuge to get him to say his name, but I can't think of one.

Katipan
12-02-2014, 01:10 PM
Does the scary old Korean lady text you, or do the machines text you?

My dry cleaner is a Korean guy, though he's also kind of Japanese. His family was initially from Hiroshima, but they migrated from there to Korea after World War II. I'm assuming it had something to do with having atomic bombs dropped on them, but I never asked.

Anyway, he's been my dry cleaner for twenty years, but I never got his name early on and with each passing year it becomes more awkward to ask. I need to come up with some subterfuge to get him to say his name, but I can't think of one.

The machine does! :)

She and I do that asian head nod thing so I can leave my stuff there and go back home. I know my stuff is safe.

#brownpower

My Korean lady has a hunched over old white man as her husband. I always imagined he brought her back from Korea.

You need a third party to say "Oh Hi, Rain Man raves about this place! He says you guys are just really nice people. What was your name again?"

Then I'm afraid you're just going to have to do the scary thing and just own up to your horrible memory.

Rain Man
12-02-2014, 01:17 PM
The machine does! :)

She and I do that asian head nod thing so I can leave my stuff there and go back home. I know my stuff is safe.

#brownpower

My Korean lady has a hunched over old white man as her husband. I always imagined he brought her back from Korea.

You need a third party to say "Oh Hi, Rain Man raves about this place! He says you guys are just really nice people. What was your name again?"

Then I'm afraid you're just going to have to do the scary thing and just own up to your horrible memory.

Next time you're downtown, would you stop and help me out with this? Thanks in advance.

scho63
12-02-2014, 01:25 PM
Why don't they make a suit jacket designed for someone that is not a couch potato?

I can't afford a custom made suit so I feel like I am wearing a straight jacket.

The key BEFORE YOU BEGIN buying a suit is to understand what type of body style a designer or label makes their clothes for.

Most, if not all European and Italian style suits are slim cut and hug the body so unless you are Eurotrash, a swimmer, or a tall thin gay dude, they won't be for you.

Someone earlier posted they had a Calvin Klein suit jacket and I also buy them as I have a barrel chest and broad shoulders so many jackets are very tight across the chest. Many times I need to buy a bigger jacket and have the sleeves hemmed a good 3 inches.

Mens Warehouse sells a great variety of suits designed to fit a modern American male.

Gonzo
12-02-2014, 01:27 PM
I've got some very nice suits. My favorite is this Cardan that's charcoal with a silver undertone. However, I've lost 60 lbs since early 2013, (went from 250 to 190) and they all look like I'm wearing a fucking bathrobe. I priced out having them altered and I might as well just buy new ones.

Katipan
12-02-2014, 01:29 PM
Next time you're downtown, would you stop and help me out with this? Thanks in advance.

We are coming to see the lights. I bet I can figure out which dry cleaner it is from my basic Rain Man knowledge. Ooooo This can be a lesson for the kids in stalkorienteering.

stevieray
12-02-2014, 01:30 PM
Suits vs Dungarees!

Rain Man
12-02-2014, 01:32 PM
We are coming to see the lights. I bet I can figure out which dry cleaner it is from my basic Rain Man knowledge. Ooooo This can be a lesson for the kids in stalkorienteering.

it's the one that is run by Koreans.

saphojunkie
12-02-2014, 02:57 PM
You're confusing needs with wants. I don't need to mix my whiskey with coke, but I want to because that's the way I prefer to drink.

Needing to mix it would be fine. Wanting to is just sad.

Iowanian
12-02-2014, 03:04 PM
That's how the do pants......in PRISON

http://media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/59/70/ec/5970ecc31e169060b0bb0461612d5ad6.jpg

LoneWolf
12-02-2014, 03:12 PM
Needing to mix it would be fine. Wanting to is just sad.

I'll make a deal with you. You don't judge me for mixing Crown Royal with Coke, and I won't judge you for sucking your boyfriends dick. OK.

Baby Lee
12-02-2014, 03:15 PM
That's how the do pants......in PRISON

Q

BWillie
12-02-2014, 03:24 PM
I got a Michael Kors one, fits like a charm. Would stay away from Jos A Bank and their crazy suit sales.

threebag
12-02-2014, 04:13 PM
My last suit was an $1800 RL. Since then my suit guy "Micky" who has clothed Wichita for 50+ years has died. He was awesome. Don't like the guy who took his place so I will not buy from there anymore. RIP Mick...

Suspenders Kick Ass just so you know. Micky was big on suspenders.

Hootie
12-02-2014, 04:18 PM
I picture you as one of those very ripped, fit 5'2" people ... am I close?

penguinz
12-02-2014, 05:16 PM
I picture you as one of those very ripped, fit 5'2" people ... am I close?

5'8" ;-)

Hog's Gone Fishin
12-02-2014, 05:19 PM
Why the hell would anybody need a suit ?

Overalls work just fine for Church, funerals and Weddings.

Baby Lee
12-02-2014, 05:23 PM
Why the hell would anybody need a suit ?

Overalls work just fine for Church, funerals and Weddings.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/ByvdA0CIAAE1dav.jpg

Hog's Gone Fishin
12-02-2014, 05:26 PM
I've got some very nice suits. My favorite is this Cardan that's charcoal with a silver undertone. However, I've lost 60 lbs since early 2013, (went from 250 to 190) and they all look like I'm wearing a ****ing bathrobe. I priced out having them altered and I might as well just buy new ones.

How the hell did you lose 60 pounds ?

You got throat cancer ?

BucEyedPea
12-02-2014, 05:30 PM
How the hell did you lose 60 pounds ?

You got throat cancer ?

Pork products. It's the other white meat.:D

srvy
12-02-2014, 06:06 PM
Im big pants people.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/Hy8HcM_ry9I" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Stafford JC Penney. In and out under a hundred bucks. As long as you dont throw up on them at the wake or wedding money back in return the next day.

Buehler445
12-02-2014, 06:11 PM
I'll vouch for KG mensware. I've come out of there in good shape.

A guy that knows his craft is invaluable. The dude in Keps mensware in Garden City KS is first class. I needed a suit for a funeral and I walked in and said,

"I need a black suit."

"What for?"

"A funeral."

"Oh. OK. Try this one."

I get it on.

"Oh. You got a butt on you. Try this one."

I change.

"Looks good. Arms out. Down. Good. Where do you want your pants?"

"Uhhhhhh."

"Do you want them to cover ypur shoes?"

"Yes."

Pins me up. I pay. And come back in a day to get it.

I spent maybe 15 min in there. It was awesome. I'd pay whatever he charged. I'm kind of disappointed I don't have to dress up. Id rather buy suits from thst guy thsn jeans from wherever.

kccrow
12-02-2014, 07:06 PM
The key BEFORE YOU BEGIN buying a suit is to understand what type of body style a designer or label makes their clothes for.

Most, if not all European and Italian style suits are slim cut and hug the body so unless you are Eurotrash, a swimmer, or a tall thin gay dude, they won't be for you.

Someone earlier posted they had a Calvin Klein suit jacket and I also buy them as I have a barrel chest and broad shoulders so many jackets are very tight across the chest. Many times I need to buy a bigger jacket and have the sleeves hemmed a good 3 inches.

Mens Warehouse sells a great variety of suits designed to fit a modern American male.

Agree. I have a Pronto-Uomo (Lessona, Italy) from MW that fits great. I have very broad shoulders and it fits great.

Fairplay
12-02-2014, 07:19 PM
Yo!! Paisan!!

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/fANwTBK3Ylg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

That scene is hilarious.

Hammock Parties
12-02-2014, 07:33 PM
I picked up a JosABank slim fit suit today. Fit amazing.