PDA

View Full Version : ChiefsPlanet The 49ers' downward spiral

Eleazar
12-02-2014, 10:05 AM
Two articles describing Krapernick and the 49ers in general seeing their season circle the drain.

Kaepernick’s lack of progression holding back 49ers
By Glenn Dickey
San Francisco Examiner

Most of those who have discussed the problems with the 49ers have ignored the primary one: They don’t have a reliable quarterback. Colin Kaepernick can make spectacular plays but he can’t be consistent against top opponents.

That showed dramatically in the 49ers’ dreadful loss to the Seattle Seahawks on Thanksgiving night. When Seattle quarterback Russell Wilson was blitzed, he scrambled, always looking downfield until he found a receiver and often connecting. When Kaepernick was pressured, he decided to test the best corner in the NFL, Richard Sherman. The pass was offline, right into Sherman’s hands. As Sherman noted later, “He said he was going to throw to the open man. I was the open man.”

That’s Kaepernick. He’s a gunslinger, always trying to prove he can beat any defense and any team. That can work against weaker teams. It doesn’t work against quality opponents. More and more, it seems Kaepernick’s career peaked in his first season, when teams didn’t know him. It’s not working now, especially not against Seattle.

Kaepernick is certainly smart enough off the field, but there’s often a big difference between regular intelligence and athletic intelligence.

Willie Mays is probably the best example. Mays is of average intelligence off the field but his athletic intelligence is off the charts. I saw him score for the Giants one time on a pitch that bounced in the dirt and went no more than six feet away from New York Mets catcher Choo Choo Coleman, who simply stared in disbelief as Mays scored standing up. Years later, Mays explained to me that he saw as the ball left the pitcher’s hand that it would be in the dirt, so he just started running. You can’t teach that.

Joe Montana and Steve Young are another example. Off the field, Young is clearly the more intelligent but Montana slipped into the Bill Walsh system almost effortlessly, leading the 49ers to a Super Bowl win in his first year as a starter. Young struggled to learn the system, often using his feet to get big gains until, as he said in a recent interview, he realized that a quarterback wins championships only when he learns how to stay in the pocket and throw downfield.

Kaepernick still hasn’t learned that lesson. I doubt he ever will because he’s basically playing the same way he did when he was first made a starter with the 49ers. It worked better that first year because nobody in the league knew him. Now, they do.

He’s obviously not the only problem. Because of injuries, the offensive line has not protected him well, so he’s had to face a much fiercer pass rush than earlier. But he doesn’t handle that well, either. He’ll abandon the pocket at the first sign of a hard rush and, unlike Wilson, he doesn’t look downfield.

Usually what he’ll do is run off to the right, which reduces his targets for a pass, and then takes off running. Sometimes, he succeeds only in holding the ball long enough to get sacked.

General manager Trent Baalke is probably looking right now at a potential trade or drafting a quarterback.

Kaepernick is not the answer.
http://www.sfexaminer.com/sanfrancisco/kaepernicks-lack-of-progression-holding-back-49ers/Content?oid=2913259

Eleazar
12-02-2014, 10:05 AM
And number two:

49ers offense has more critics than answers
By Eric Branch
San Francisco Chronicle

On the heels of their Black Thursday, the 49ers awoke Friday to discover there are no holiday bargains on effective NFL offenses.

That means they are stuck with their current model, which looked outdated and in desperate need of repair in a 19-3 loss to the Seahawks on Thursday night.

The wretched performance inspired what must be a professional-sports first in the social-media age: Twitter criticism from the owner and general manager’s daughter.

CEO Jed York apologized to the fans for the “unacceptable” performance and presumably wasn’t referencing a defense that allowed one touchdown. It was widely viewed as a denouncement of York’s offensive-minded head coach, Jim Harbaugh, whose team managed as many points as turnovers.

Meanwhile, Trent Baalke’s daughter, Cass, took aim at the offensive coordinator in a since-deleted tweet: “Greg Roman can take a hike ... the 49ers don’t want you no more.”

And you thought you had a miserable holiday with your dysfunctional family.

The 164-yard Thanksgiving effort certainly cast more doubt on the beyond-2014 futures of Harbaugh and Roman with the team. The more pressing issue: Can those two principal characters help fix the offense with the 49ers (7-5) likely needing to finish the regular season with four straight wins to reach the playoffs?

The season-ending stretch will include dates against the Cardinals and Seahawks, who rank second and fourth, respectively, in points allowed this season. Recent history doesn’t bode well: The 49ers have scored a total of 17 points while losing both games this season against Seattle and Arizona.

Whatever the necessary fixes are, they don’t appear obvious. On Thursday, members of the offense had no explanation for what caused them to average 3.2 yards per snap, or fail to gain more than 16 yards on any of their 51 offensive plays.

“We just didn’t play well,” said quarterback Colin Kaepernick, who later offered, “We just didn’t execute.”

Wide receiver Anquan Boldin? “Lack of execution, like I said earlier,” he said.

Even running back Frank Gore, who routinely offers thoughtful and substantive answers, seemed to be at a genuine loss. Gore has termed the team’s collection of offensive talent the best of his 10-year career.

“I know we have the players,” Gore said. “Things just aren’t happening for us, and I don’t know why. We need to look at ourselves as a whole and see what is going on. It’s tough.”

Kaepernick was given a tough assignment Thursday: Beat the Seahawks without using your legs.

After he had 130 rushing yards and averaged 11.8 yards a carry in a 23-17 loss to Seattle in the NFC title game, the 49ers didn’t call a designed quarterback run, according to Pro Football Focus. Kaepernick had three scrambles that gained 17 yards, which accounted for slightly more than 10 percent of their offensive total.

The Seahawks’ response: Thank you.

“We know that if we keep him in the pocket, it is hard for him to beat us throwing the ball,” linebacker K.J. Wright said. “When he can run and pass, be multidimensional, that is when we have problems with him.”

Defensive end Michael Bennett was asked to account for Kaepernick’s lack of running.

“I think that it was more his choice,” Bennett said. “He wanted to throw the ball more than he wanted to run. He had some lanes, but there is probably a lot of pressure on him to be able to be a passing quarterback. He did that.”

And he did it poorly in another mistake-filled performance against Seattle.

Kaepernick arrived with just one interception in his previous 142 attempts, but he tossed two in 29 attempts Thursday. Kaepernick has nine interceptions in 146 career attempts against the Seahawks. He has 15 interceptions in his other 1,031 attempts, including the playoffs.

On Thursday, Kaepernick’s two interceptions came on errant throws that were corralled by cornerback Richard Sherman, who gleefully gave the index-finger-to-his-lips signal to the crowd after his second pick in the fourth quarter.

“The second one was pretty entertaining,” Sherman said. “I was laughing the whole time because I told their sideline if they throw it my way, I would end the game. And they threw it still. Way to be. Way to be, those guys.”

The 49ers, of course, have endured Sherman’s mocking in the past, most notably after Seattle’s win in last season’s NFC title game.

Following that game, York also took to Twitter to express his disappointment. The tone of that message, however, reflected pride in his team, not disgust.

“Thx #49ersFaithful for cheering us on this season,” York wrote. “I’m sorry we couldn’t get it done for you tonight ... Thx to our guys for fighting so hard.”

GM’s daughter disparages coordinator

Niners general manager Trent Baalke released a statement Friday after his college-age daughter, Cass, criticized offensive coordinator Greg Roman via Twitter following Thursday night’s 19-3 loss to the Seahawks.

“My daughter and I both regret that her feelings got the best of her after last night’s game, and she chose social media as an avenue to express her feelings,” Baalke said. “We have apologized to Greg for this unfortunate matter. While disappointed, as a father I will use this as a teachable moment to help my daughter grow.”

After the 49ers had a season-low 164 yards on Thursday, Cass Baalke wrote: “Greg Roman can take a hike ... the 49ers don’t want you no more.”

Her Twitter account has since been deleted.

— Eric Branch

Inept offense

The 49ers’ offensive issues didn’t begin when they faced Seattle’s top-ranked defense. They have managed just three touchdowns in their past 39 full drives, a stretch that dates to the second quarter of their 27-24 OT win over at New Orleans on Nov. 9. A look at those 39 drives:

Punts 21

Turnovers 7

Field goals 7

Touchdowns 3

Downs 1

ModSocks
12-02-2014, 10:36 AM
Couldn't happen to a nicer person.

L.A. Chieffan
12-02-2014, 10:41 AM
Niner trolls preparing anus as we speak

rabblerouser
12-02-2014, 10:42 AM
Kraperdick is a terrible qb.

But he is so well-spoken...

Hydrae
12-02-2014, 10:46 AM
They should have kept Alex. :)

ROYC75
12-02-2014, 10:57 AM
They should have kept Alex. :)

He can be had for 2 # 2's and a # 1.

We gotta get something out of it.

Time to pay up!

Mr. Flopnuts
12-02-2014, 11:14 AM
I've said from the start that at least we got the better of their QB's out of the deal.

Eleazar
12-02-2014, 11:16 AM
It'll be amusing to see Harbaugh leave for Michigan or wherever, and Krapernick be on the market at the same time as RG3 and another bust or two, so the 49ers get minimal value.

Hootie
12-02-2014, 11:20 AM
I'm not going to read those because I don't have time ...

but someone really needs to explain to me why the 49ers no longer run the read option. Like ever.

It makes literally no sense.

I just feel like Harbaugh is sabotaging the team knowing he's done after this year. Because honestly, it makes no sense. Kaep was amazing at the read option. Seattle spent the entire game against KC running the read option.

Why are the 49ers not running the read option?

ViperVisor
12-02-2014, 11:35 AM
The O-Line and Drops are no worse than 2011.

Akers had a great year. Made 13 out of 20 from 40+ *money from 50+
Dawson is having a good year. 9 out of 12 from 40+ *4 from 50+

Offense was utterly mediocre in 2011. It is somehow fallen below that in 2014.

Gore is doing less but it is not a huge difference.
He was 28th in avg in 2011, 4.3 per carry
What he did then was a few long runs
132 yards on his 3 longest runs

This year
31st in avg getting 3.9 per carry
67 yards on his 3 longest runs

The rushing Kaepernick does makes the run games about the same.

The difference is the QB in his 4th year and 47th start this past Thursday still can look like a guy trying to navigate without a compass or blatant disregard for what direction it is pointing in.

Jimmya
12-02-2014, 12:42 PM
I don't want Kaep on the market because dumbass KC will sign him. Apparently KC loves niner retreads.

beach tribe
12-02-2014, 01:10 PM
Kraperdick is a terrible qb.

But he is so well-spoken...

I see what you did there.....

Racist.

Kap sucks BTW

chiefzilla1501
12-02-2014, 01:23 PM
I would bet you harbaugh is coaching Michigan next year

Dave Lane
12-02-2014, 01:36 PM
We have become soul mates with the 49ers after all.

Hootie
12-02-2014, 02:36 PM
Dilfer was just on questioning the same thing I've questioned for months now...

Why in God's name did the 49ers take the read option out of their offense?

He didn't get it, either.

He referenced Miami, Philly, Seattle, Buffalo, NYJ etc. as teams that run that offense all of the time and how defensive coordinators hate preparing for that especially on 3rd and short...

and he didn't get why one of the best QB's in the NFL at running that offense no longer runs it, at all

Molitoth
12-02-2014, 02:37 PM
Would love it if they took Alex back...

Eleazar
12-02-2014, 02:44 PM
Dilfer was just on questioning the same thing I've questioned for months now...

Why in God's name did the 49ers take the read option out of their offense?

He didn't get it, either.

He referenced Miami, Philly, Seattle, Buffalo, NYJ etc. as teams that run that offense all of the time and how defensive coordinators hate preparing for that especially on 3rd and short...

and he didn't get why one of the best QB's in the NFL at running that offense no longer runs it, at all

Because it's a gimmick offense that the league adjusted to, which is why none of those who used to run it run it anymore. Why did the wildcat disappear from the NFL?

Hootie
12-02-2014, 02:49 PM
Because it's a gimmick offense that the league adjusted to, which is why none of those who used to run it run it anymore. Why did the wildcat disappear from the NFL?

Whaaat?

Seattle ran it the entire game against us, and uses it ALL OF THE TIME. ALL OF THE TIME.

Philly uses it a lot.

Buffalo, MIAMI and NYJ use it all of the time.

What are you talking about?

Hootie
12-02-2014, 02:50 PM
It's still Seattle's base fucking offense. They run their entire offense out of read option or Russell doing ridiculous play actions that end up being like 12 step drops.

Hootie
12-02-2014, 02:51 PM
the Wild Cat is the very definition of a gimmick

the read option is literally here to stay

it'll never leave

QB's are way too athletic these days and it's still a defensive coordinators worst nightmare

it's impossible to defend if ran correctly ... Russell runs it with 3 reads all of the time ... hand off, keep it, pass it and he's amazing at it

The fact RGIII and Kaepernick never run it just show how absolutely stubborn their coaching staffs are. It's like they are trying to prove some ridiculous point.

Eleazar
12-02-2014, 02:52 PM
Whaaat?

Seattle ran it the entire game against us, and uses it ALL OF THE TIME. ALL OF THE TIME.

Philly uses it a lot.

Buffalo, MIAMI and NYJ use it all of the time.

What are you talking about?

Who won that Seattle game?

Teams with garbage QBs use it because they can only make one read, and Chip Kelly uses it to some extent. That's it.

Hootie
12-02-2014, 02:52 PM
and I've sold a lot of my Kaepernick stock, don't get me wrong

but they aren't doing him any favors by taking away the freaking offense he has ran his entire career at QB (college and pros) and trying to turn him into a pocket QB

it makes literally no sense

Hootie
12-02-2014, 02:54 PM
Who won that Seattle game?

Teams with garbage QBs use it because they can only make one read, and Chip Kelly uses it to some extent. That's it.

You're so wrong it's not even funny.

So wrong.

Seattle was extremely efficient against us using the read option. What game were you watching?

Russell Wilson is far from a garbage QB. It's not a gimmick offense. It's definitely here to stay.

God you're dumb.

Eleazar
12-07-2014, 09:58 PM
Colin Kaepernick pushes cameraman while walking off the field at halftime

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p><a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Kaepernick?src=hash">#Kaepernick</a> gave me the Heisman as I was shooting him walk off the field. My camera is ok. <a href="https://twitter.com/KPIXSPORTS">@KPIXSPORTS</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/StevenUhalde">@StevenUhalde</a> <a href="http://t.co/EUcD5IsmNa">pic.twitter.com/EUcD5IsmNa</a></p>&mdash; A. Catchatoorian (@trichordo) <a href="https://twitter.com/trichordo/status/541730712701788160">December 7, 2014</a></blockquote> <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Being locked in a close game with the 1-11 Oakland Raiders is hazardous to a quarterback's state of mind. It might not all be Colin Kaepernick's fault; perhaps he was having a Beats commercial flashback?

Eleazar
12-07-2014, 09:59 PM
Carr excels, Kaepernick struggles as Raiders upset 49ers
Posted by Michael David Smith on December 7, 2014, 7:29 PM EST

Raiders quarterback Derek Carr had a big game today, and 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick did not.

It wasn’t all about the quarterbacks, but the biggest takeaway from Oakland’s upset win over San Francisco is that Carr looks like just the kind of bright young quarterback the Raiders hoped they were drafting this year, while Kaepernick looks like he’s regressed.

Carr was poised, confident, accurate and efficient as he completed 22 of 28 passes for 254 yards, with three touchdown passes and no interceptions. Carr also seems more in control of the offense than most rookies, capable of changing plays at the line and catching the opposing defense off guard. This was an impressive performance.

But Kaepernick, who threw two interceptions and was sacked five times, looked out of sync for most of the game. The 49ers had three delay of game penalties because Kaepernick repeatedly struggled to get his signals called in time, and Kaepernick’s passes often missed the mark.

The loss drops the 49ers to 7-6 and makes it a near certainty that they won’t be going to the playoffs. In fact, the biggest question now isn’t whether the 49ers will make the postseason, but whether Jim Harbaugh is already checked out and looking for his next job.

Some people think his next job will be in Oakland, as head coach of the Raiders. If so, he may just have a better quarterback in Oakland next year than he has in San Francisco now.

Eleazar
12-08-2014, 10:17 AM
Sio Moore: Kaepernick a 'chump'

Updated: December 8, 2014, 10:13 AM ET
By Michael Wagaman | ESPN.com

OAKLAND, Calif. -- Raiders linebacker Sio Moore didn't get enough of hassling 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick during Oakland's 24-13 win over San Francisco, so he took to Instagram to go after Kaepernick some more.

Moore posted a photograph of he and Kaepernick standing face to face and calling the 49ers quarterback a "chump" in the caption.

-
There's a difference between boys and Men... Freakin chump

A photo posted by Sio Moore (@mroaktown55) on Dec 12, 2014 at 6:40pm PST
-

The Raiders hounded Kaepernick into throwing two interceptions Sunday. He was sacked five times, knocked around several other times and finished with a passer rating of 54.4.

Moore made only one tackle, dropping Kaepernick for a 7-yard loss on the opening play of San Francisco's second possession. He later danced around the field during an injury timeout in the second half.

This isn't the first time Moore has been in the spotlight this season. During Oakland's 24-20 win over Kansas City in Week 12, he nearly cost the Raiders a shot at winning when he broke into an excessive and lengthy celebration 30 yards behind the line of scrimmage after sacking Chiefs quarterback Alex Smith, even as the Chiefs were lined up to snap the ball. Only an alert timeout by Justin Tuck prevented Moore from being the scapegoat.

Mav
12-08-2014, 10:24 AM
This is the only thing that really brought me joy yesterday. Seeing that this fucktard played somehow worse than Alex Smith against the raiders is somewhat soothing.

Then again, on the other hand, we are seeing the development of a qb that is going to torture the Chiefs for years. :banghead::cuss:

Eleazar
12-08-2014, 11:12 AM
I wonder if there are any 49ers fans left who are backing him?

Mr. Flopnuts
12-08-2014, 11:50 AM
I should change Kaepernicks user name to Gabbert.

Mav
12-08-2014, 12:02 PM

Please do. That would be fucking hilarious. He might actually leave then.

Mr. Flopnuts
12-08-2014, 12:02 PM
Please do. That would be fucking hilarious. He might actually leave then.

I knew you'd like that. :D

BIG_DADDY
12-08-2014, 12:03 PM
I wonder if there are any 49ers fans left who are backing him?

The 9ers problems stem directly from Trent Baalke completely alienating Harbaugh before the season even began. It wouldn't surprise me if they fire him today. O line has sucked it big time all season. Kaepernick's problems stem from being hit more times than a punching bag in an MMA gym every Sunday. I would still take him over Alex if we could have our draft picks back.

Sandy Vagina
12-08-2014, 12:10 PM
OL hasn't been that bad. For all of Kaep's "elite" athleticism, he just sucks at evading pressure.. hesitates.. and taking his eyes away from the downfield receivers can't help.

He's just another athlete that relies on his physical tools instead of his brain. He can't process and react accordingly. That team is stacked with talent... dude just sucks.

The 49ers deserve this.

Mav
12-08-2014, 12:10 PM
The 9ers problems stem directly from Trent Baalke completely alienating Harbaugh before the season even began. It wouldn't surprise me if they fire him today. O line has sucked it big time all season. Kaepernick's problems stem from being hit more times than a punching bag in an MMA gym every Sunday. I would still take him over Alex if we could have our draft picks back.

I just don't know what you watch. Now, I don't watch 49er games much any more. I watched a little after the Chiefs game ended yesterday, and I watched the thanksgiving game, but if you think its the oline that is causing Kaepernick to throw horribly inaccurate passes, and to constantly stay INSIDE the pocket when he clearly cant throw from the pocket, then that is insane.

Would I take him over Alex Smith?

I hate the guys guts, but because he will at least TRY to throw it deep, I would.

But his biggest problem now is he wont run anymore, like at all. He cant find anyone off his first read, and hes an ASSHOLE to boot. hes gone all cam newton.

Mav
12-08-2014, 12:12 PM
OL hasn't been that bad. For all of Kaep's "elite" athleticism, he just sucks at evading pressure.. hesitates.. and taking his eyes away from the downfield receivers can't help.

He's just another athlete that relies on his physical tools instead of his brain. He can't process and react accordingly. That team is stacked with talent... dude just sucks.

The 49ers deserve this.

agreed.

These Kaepersexuals sound like I used to when trying to defend alex smith.

The only difference is, Alex Smith wasn't in his third year in the same offense, with phenomenal weapons around him.

That's the only difference. He sucks, plain and simple.

Not that Alex is any better. But Kaepernick literally has no excuses.

BIG_DADDY
12-08-2014, 12:17 PM

The 49ers deserve this.

They wanted to force him to be a pocket passer. He got hit a lot and lost confidence. He is a scared rabbit right now on an offense that mailed it in. Baalke should of STFU and let this season play out before alienating Harbaugh. Jim made this team work, treating him like shit accomplished nothing other than exposing what a dumb ass he is.

Mav
12-08-2014, 12:20 PM
They wanted to force him to be a pocket passer. He got hit a lot and lost confidence. He is a scared rabbit right now on an offense that mailed it in. Baalke should of STFU and let this season play out before alienating Harbaugh. Jim made this team work, treating him like shit accomplished nothing other than exposing what a dumb ass he is.

and on top of that his little slut daughter out there going after Roman.

This was the qb that HER DADDY wanted, he was the one who THREW THAT HUGE CONTRACT AT HIM, and her daddy is the one that got a big head, and fucked over Jim. Now Jim is going to leave and go across the bay, and they have no one to blame but BAALKE.

Good. They deserve it all.

Im the fucking Grinch right now.

TimBone
12-08-2014, 12:21 PM
Or just wipe him from the database....whatever suits you.

Sandy Vagina
12-08-2014, 12:25 PM

THIS.

At least the other "49er losers" are here in some form of actual support for YOUR team.

Mav
12-08-2014, 12:29 PM
Seconded

BIG_DADDY
12-08-2014, 12:33 PM

This was the qb that HER DADDY wanted, he was the one who THREW THAT HUGE CONTRACT AT HIM, and her daddy is the one that got a big head, and ****ed over Jim. Now Jim is going to leave and go across the bay, and they have no one to blame but BAALKE.

Im the ****ing Grinch right now.

It would be more interesting to see him go to New York. Can you imagine Harbaugh and their media? Hillarious. Something tells me there will be other vying for him before all is said and done. The 9ers have been horrible at selecting coaches recently. They finally get it right and then do this. It's friggen lame.

KC_Lee
12-08-2014, 01:16 PM
So how long before KC offers up 2 1st and 2 2nd round picks for Kaepernick?

Buehler445
12-08-2014, 01:29 PM

This was the qb that HER DADDY wanted, he was the one who THREW THAT HUGE CONTRACT AT HIM, and her daddy is the one that got a big head, and fucked over Jim. Now Jim is going to leave and go across the bay, and they have no one to blame but BAALKE.

Im the fucking Grinch right now.

I got all excited, then I found her picture... Ugh. Little?

http://extras.mnginteractive.com/live/media/site47/2011/1207/20111207__09RHSTVG_300.jpg