PDA

View Full Version : Food and Drink Cooking with Cast Iron

gblowfish
12-02-2014, 04:39 PM
I recently was gifted with a very nice large cast iron skillet and cast iron flat plate that is like a griddle on one side, and grooved on the other for searing steaks and such.

I've never cooked on cast iron before. I know it's cool that you can put the skillet in the oven to finish off foods and such. But what about care and cleaning?

I've read always wash by hand, hot water and a nylon bristle brush, don't scrub too hard. Don't use soap of any kind, never put in the dishwasher or submerge cast iron in water. Make sure to dry the cast iron completely immediately after washing, then put it back on the fire for a couple minutes to make sure all the water is out, then either wipe it down with olive oil, or spray with PAM or other cooking spray and wipe down to keep the seasoning in tact.

Also heard store with a paper towel around the item to absorb moisture.

Others have said mild soap is OK, as long as you dry the cast iron immediately after washing. Soap will kill the bacteria from cooking.

Any thoughts? What has your experience been? And what do you like to cook most in cast iron? Eggs and bacon, steaks, chicken? Etc?

Baby Lee
12-02-2014, 04:40 PM
A fresh new discussion

KCUnited
12-02-2014, 04:40 PM
Never heard of it.

gblowfish
12-02-2014, 04:41 PM
It's new to me. That why I asked.

stevieray
my g'ma had a cast iron skillet and a folgers can on the stove full of bacon grease.

mikeyis4dcats.
Qast iron?

stevieray
12-02-2014, 04:42 PM

i'll be patiently waiting for a...

"ten things about my cast iron skillet"

Baby Lee
12-02-2014, 04:44 PM

Simply Red
12-02-2014, 04:48 PM

http://i61.tinypic.com/518rd5.jpg

SPchief
12-02-2014, 04:49 PM
There's a small thread devoted to it somewhere on here

cdcox
12-02-2014, 04:50 PM
Clean with these:

http://img.directindustry.com/images_di/photo-g/angle-grinder-69585-2622183.jpg

http://www.cascadeco.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/S_16382_M.jpg

Shake dry, and put it away. Should be good to go.

BucEyedPea
12-02-2014, 04:51 PM
Best use for a cast iron pan is for whacking a punk guy.

gblowfish
12-02-2014, 04:51 PM
I found this, thanks guys.
http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=252301&highlight=Cast+Iron

SPchief
12-02-2014, 04:52 PM
Clean with these:

http://img.directindustry.com/images_di/photo-g/angle-grinder-69585-2622183.jpg

http://www.cascadeco.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/S_16382_M.jpg

Shake dry, and put it away. Should be good to go.

LMAO

Just Passin' By
12-02-2014, 04:52 PM
Start with this thread on multiple cast iron questions issues and uses (http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=252301)

Here's FMB on cleaning:

As for cleaning, someone else mentioned just use hot water. DO NOT USE SOAP, and ALWAYS DRY IT IMMEDIATELY. These things will rust fast. If you've got some stuck on bits and need some scrubbing power, salt and a paper towel work wonders. Don't use an abrasive scrubbing sponge because it can wreck the seasoning. If you need to strip the seasoning for any reason, pop it in the oven and put it on self-clean.

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showpost.php?p=8092106&postcount=21

Edit: I see you've already found it. Well, enjoy your pans!

Simply Red
12-02-2014, 04:58 PM
I think Q will really like owning them.

TY TY TY!!!! :clap: :clap:

TimBone
12-02-2014, 05:30 PM
I think Q will really like owning them.

TY TY TY!!!! :clap: :clap:
http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/12/02/a556e4aea69dbd06386dbe1368c62976.jpg

Hog's Gone Fishin
12-02-2014, 05:44 PM
Is that one of the Manning brothers ?

tooge
12-02-2014, 05:55 PM
Use coarse sea salt as an abrasive to clean it out. Or, deglaze it with some wine each time u. Use it. One big word of caution. Never put cold water into the super hit pan or you can crack it

vailpass
12-02-2014, 06:21 PM
Be sure to season it first if it isn't already...

kccrow
12-02-2014, 06:25 PM
If you want your skillet to cook like an old Griswold then you best get out some elbow grease and the sandpaper. New cast iron isn't polished like the old ones. 40 grit, then 80, then 120 and expect to spend a couple hours doing each grit. Get rid of that textured surface. Then season very well.

You can use soap, its more of a wise tale than anything. You can't soak nor scrub vigorously with soap. A quick wipe out with a soapy washcloth wont hurt a thing.
Re-season after every wash, for sure.

Do remember that cast iron does not cook "evenly". It actually is hottest wherever it is nearest the flames. Cast iron disperses heat like shit, but the bonus is that hot cast iron stays hot a long time.

Cook every greasy thing you can in that pan, especially initially and it will aid that seasoning process.

Buzz
12-02-2014, 07:10 PM
Do remember that cast iron does not cook "evenly". It actually is hottest wherever it is nearest the flames. Cast iron disperses heat like shit, but the bonus is that hot cast iron stays hot a long time.

Huh? most "evenly" cooking pan I have ever used.

Fire Me Boy!
12-02-2014, 07:26 PM
Please don't use Pam to season. Heat pan, rub with Flaxseed oil and a very hot oven for 90 minutes. Then let cool completely. Repeat a few times and you'll be set.

Pam has other ingredients in it - you don't want to bake those into your pan.

Fire Me Boy!
12-02-2014, 07:27 PM
You can use soap, its more of a wise tale than anything. You can't soak nor scrub vigorously with soap. A quick wipe out with a soapy washcloth wont hurt a thing.
Re-season after every wash, for sure.

And ignore this.

hometeam
12-02-2014, 07:35 PM
Lol someone said put soap on your cast iron!

Mines about to go into the oven for cornbread~

vailpass
12-02-2014, 08:01 PM
Please don't use Pam to season. Heat pan, rub with Flaxseed oil and a very hot oven for 90 minutes. Then let cool completely. Repeat a few times and you'll be set.

Pam has other ingredients in it - you don't want to bake those into your pan.

This is the method I used, what do you think? I used shortening not oil for higher heart tolerance then cooked a shit load of bacon when done...

http://www.thekitchn.com/how-to-season-a-cast-iron-skillet-cleaning-lessons-from-the-kitchn-107614

Fire Me Boy!
12-02-2014, 08:05 PM
This is the method I used, what do you think? I used shortening not oil for higher heart tolerance then cooked a shit load of bacon when done...

http://www.thekitchn.com/how-to-season-a-cast-iron-skillet-cleaning-lessons-from-the-kitchn-107614

The shortening is fine, but you need to heat it past its smoke point. Shortening is around 360*. So try it at 400. It will get stinky, and it may smoke some. That's normal.

When you season cast iron, you're creating a patina on the iron, which can only be accomplished by polymerizing the oil by heating it past its smoke point.

Buzz
12-02-2014, 08:07 PM
On a side note blowfish, cooking with cast iron is a learning process. Heat your pan to temp and let it do the work. You may taste a metallic / iron taste in your food at first, I noticed it but everyone else didn't.

Baby Lee
12-02-2014, 08:18 PM
And ignore this.

If your oil is polymerized, washing with hot soapy water is not going to hurt it. It may seem twee to be pedantic about soap and cast iron, but washing away smelly foodstuffs overrides silly superstition.

Just Passin' By
12-02-2014, 08:30 PM
If your oil is polymerized, washing with hot soapy water is not going to hurt it. It may seem twee to be pedantic about soap and cast iron, but washing away smelly foodstuffs overrides silly superstition.

Since it's not just silly superstition, you shouldn't use soap. People with very well seasoned pans can do so, but there's no need to take the risk.

Fire Me Boy!
12-02-2014, 08:35 PM

I know what you're saying makes sense logically, but my personal experience tells me even a little soap absolutely wrecked 15+ years of seasoning. I'll stick with the old wive's tale. So I'll continue to do what's worked for cooks worldwide for decades.

Buzz
12-02-2014, 08:40 PM
I deglaze a hot pan with hot water, wipe it out and give it a shot of cooking spray and back on the stove to dry. I don't know what the hang up is with cooking spray, but to each his own. Flame me away.

Fire Me Boy!
12-02-2014, 08:47 PM
I deglaze a hot pan with hot water, wipe it out and give it a shot of cooking spray and back on the stove to dry. I don't know what the hang up is with cooking spray, but to each his own. Flame me away.

You can do what you want. I just think baking all this shit into your pan is a generally bad idea when smearing it with oil is so simple.

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/12/02/0676fe97f425ed63e0ae728ec27731a5.jpg

If you prefer the spray, I'd recommend getting one of those pump sprays that use pure oil.

Buzz
12-02-2014, 09:00 PM
Dimethyl Silicone is agent orange?

cdcox
12-02-2014, 09:02 PM

As long as you scrub off the chunks, you are going to vaporize all of the remaining food molecules and kill any pesky microorganisms during the heat drying process.

In58men
12-02-2014, 09:03 PM
Buy a chain mail scrubber. It's wonderful.

Hoover
12-02-2014, 10:02 PM
I wipe mine out then scrub it clean with salt.

Hoover
12-02-2014, 10:06 PM
To remove stubborn bits of food, pour 1 cup coarse kosher salt into the still-warm skillet. Use a folded kitchen towel to scour. Discard the salt and rinse the skillet with hot water. Dry immediately with a kitchen towel, or heat skillet over a medium-low flame to evaporate the moisture.

I season the pan with a light coat of flaxseed oil, but lard or vegetable oil works too.

kccrow
12-02-2014, 11:22 PM
And ignore this.

Choose to ignore what you want, I've been using the things my entire life.... yeah and I'm not 12 like 97% of the internet forum users.

Cast iron does NOT cook as evenly as aluminum or copper, which are much better at dispersing heat uniformly. Cast iron heats more quickly, especially in the CENTER. The absolute best medium for dispersing heat uniformly is COPPER. There is a reason copper pots are so popular, or at least copper bottomed. As a matter of fact, Cast iron will be about twice as hot at the center as on the edges after 10 minutes over a burner. Not so with Aluminum nor Copper.

Cast iron will NOT go to absolute shit by mildly wiping with soap. I said DO NOT SOAK. DO NOT SCRUB VIGOROUSLY. But you will NOT ruin your "seasoning" by wiping mildly with soap. If you re-season as you should following ANY wash of ANY kind, it will restore your pan to its absolute perfect state. Nobody wants to listen to Baby Lee either, but he's 100% spot on on this subject. The oils are already molecularly bonded to the cast iron. So long as you don't scrub it like a mad man, you're going to retain your finish.

I'm sure nobody else thought to tell the guy to polish his new cast iron either, since everyone here is an expert. I'm not trying to get in a pissing match, but disregarding my post like its not worthy because of silly superstition or misinformation is horseshit.

Megbert
12-03-2014, 02:03 AM
http://www.seriouseats.com/2014/11/the-truth-about-cast-iron.html

Here's an article dispelling myths surrounding cast iron.

Fire Me Boy!
12-03-2014, 05:14 AM
Choose to ignore what you want, I've been using the things my entire life.... yeah and I'm not 12 like 97% of the internet forum users.

Cast iron does NOT cook as evenly as aluminum or copper, which are much better at dispersing heat uniformly. Cast iron heats more quickly, especially in the CENTER. The absolute best medium for dispersing heat uniformly is COPPER. There is a reason copper pots are so popular, or at least copper bottomed. As a matter of fact, Cast iron will be about twice as hot at the center as on the edges after 10 minutes over a burner. Not so with Aluminum nor Copper.

Cast iron will NOT go to absolute shit by mildly wiping with soap. I said DO NOT SOAK. DO NOT SCRUB VIGOROUSLY. But you will NOT ruin your "seasoning" by wiping mildly with soap. If you re-season as you should following ANY wash of ANY kind, it will restore your pan to its absolute perfect state. Nobody wants to listen to Baby Lee either, but he's 100% spot on on this subject. The oils are already molecularly bonded to the cast iron. So long as you don't scrub it like a mad man, you're going to retain your finish.

I'm sure nobody else thought to tell the guy to polish his new cast iron either, since everyone here is an expert. I'm not trying to get in a pissing match, but disregarding my post like its not worthy because of silly superstition or misinformation is horseshit.

http://www.seriouseats.com/2014/11/the-truth-about-cast-iron.html

Here's an article dispelling myths surrounding cast iron.

Basing my comments on personal experience, not something I read off the internet. I posted that same link a while back... I still don't buy it. Some I'll go along with - washing with soap is not one of them.

Not silly superstition, personal experience.

I know what you're saying makes sense logically, but my personal experience tells me even a little soap absolutely wrecked 15+ years of seasoning. I'll stick with the old wive's tale. So I'll continue to do what's worked for cooks worldwide for decades.

As for heat distribution, you're right, to an extent. On the stovetop it doesn't do great. In the oven, it does just fine. And the reason cast iron is so awesome is because of how well it retains heat. So preheat in the oven, then move to the stovetop. Many of us do that.

Dayze
12-03-2014, 10:00 AM
i never use soap with mine.
just deglaze right after I'm done cooking; wipe clean/dry. then take a paper towel and wipe a small amount of shortening over it, then back to the stove very briefly with low heat, then shut off the heat and let cool.

works like a champ.

gblowfish
12-03-2014, 10:07 AM
Last night I did the initial "seasoning" on the skillet. I went to the store and couldn't find flaxseed oil, so I just used regular vegetable oil. Wiped it down inside and out. Took a cookie sheet, lined it with tin foil, put the skillet face down on the cookie sheet on the bottom rack of the oven, turned the oven up to 500 and let her bake for an hour. Smoked up the house pretty good -my oven could use a good cleaning. But this AM I took it out, wiped it with a thin coat of vegetable oil, and it looks ready to rock. Thanks for the advice guys.

Simply Red
12-03-2014, 10:07 AM
I use turtle-wax and pee in mine.

Fire Me Boy!
12-03-2014, 04:04 PM
Last night I did the initial "seasoning" on the skillet. I went to the store and couldn't find flaxseed oil, so I just used regular vegetable oil. Wiped it down inside and out. Took a cookie sheet, lined it with tin foil, put the skillet face down on the cookie sheet on the bottom rack of the oven, turned the oven up to 500 and let her bake for an hour. Smoked up the house pretty good -my oven could use a good cleaning. But this AM I took it out, wiped it with a thin coat of vegetable oil, and it looks ready to rock. Thanks for the advice guys.

:thumb:

Give it a while, and do some more seasoning when you have free time. Will only get better.

kccrow
12-03-2014, 07:27 PM
Basing my comments on personal experience, not something I read off the internet. I posted that same link a while back... I still don't buy it. Some I'll go along with - washing with soap is not one of them.

Not silly superstition, personal experience.

As for heat distribution, you're right, to an extent. On the stovetop it doesn't do great. In the oven, it does just fine. And the reason cast iron is so awesome is because of how well it retains heat. So preheat in the oven, then move to the stovetop. Many of us do that.

I don't want to confuse anyone with the soap "washing." I don't wash mine every time I use them, in fact, I very rarely wash them. I usually just wipe them out and carry on. But, there are things that you cook that don't just come off nicely by wiping them out. I mildly wash with a soapy washcloth, rinse, and immediately dry and re-season. It works for me, and I don't lose years of seasoning to it. I'm not scrubbing down to bare iron again or something. Just enough to get the tough grits off and no more soap. It doesn't kill the pan like most people like to claim. A normal re-seasoning restores it to its glory just fine.

I do agree on the oven pre-heat or cooking in an oven, but I rarely use a cast skillet for that because I have a cast Dutch oven.

cdcox
12-03-2014, 07:30 PM
.... but I rarely use a cast skillet for that because I have a cast Dutch oven.

And I suppose your scrub that down to bare metal with soap too?

Buzz
12-03-2014, 07:44 PM

Calm down capitan butthurt, this is CP, everyone is an idiot and a dumbazz if they don't agree with a post. I sanded my pan baby butt smooth, not for the faint of heart. I'm guessing you cook on a gas stove? Mines a flat top electric and I have never had a problem with heat distribution.

kccrow
12-04-2014, 06:00 PM
Calm down capitan butthurt, this is CP, everyone is an idiot and a dumbazz if they don't agree with a post. I sanded my pan baby butt smooth, not for the faint of heart. I'm guessing you cook on a gas stove? Mines a flat top electric and I have never had a problem with heat distribution.

I'm not butt hurt, I'm frustrated by stupidity. Truth be told, I've met about 4 intelligent people here thusfar. Yes, I currently cook on gas. I have cooked on electric, and I do agree it does wonders for cast.

Buzz
12-20-2014, 08:15 PM
Hey George, curious how your pan is working out for you? Do you like it or did you say the heck with this...

gblowfish
12-20-2014, 08:17 PM
Hey George, curious how your pan is working out for you? Do you like it or did you say the heck with this...

I've used it a couple of times. Did eggs and sausage (good) and fried hamburgers (not so good). When you fry hamburger, it sets off the smoke alarms in the house. Better just to go out on the back porch and do that on my Weber Gas Grill.

Buzz
12-20-2014, 08:24 PM
I've used it a couple of times. Did eggs and sausage (good) and fried hamburgers (not so good). When you fry hamburger, it sets off the smoke alarms in the house. Better just to go out on the back porch and do that on my Weber Gas Grill.

They can be a bit stinky, but they give an awesome crust to meat. :D

Simply Red
12-20-2014, 08:25 PM
I think Q will really like the cast iron.

Fire Me Boy!
12-20-2014, 08:26 PM
They can be a bit stinky, but they give an awesome crust to meat. :D

I prefer burgers in my cast iron to the grill.

gblowfish
12-20-2014, 08:29 PM

They cooked up fine, it's just the grease smoke set off the smoke alarms in the house! Can't open the windows in the middle of December.

Buzz
12-20-2014, 08:40 PM

I agree, I bought a 3 lb roll of 80/20 and pre made 7 patty's in sandwich bags and used the rest in my casserole. I squish them about a 1/4" thick into the sandwich bag using a dinner plate on top. Pull them out of the freezer and onto hot cast iron, with shrinkage and crust, makes a perfect burger.

Fire Me Boy!
12-20-2014, 08:46 PM
I agree, I bought a 3 lb roll of 80/20 and pre made 7 patty's in sandwich bags and used the rest in my casserole. I squish them about a 1/4" thick into the sandwich bag using a dinner plate on top. Pull them out of the freezer and onto hot cast iron, with shrinkage and crust, makes a perfect burger.

I hand form and like 'em thick. I can cook longer to develop that thick crust without overcooking the burger.

Good stuff, either way!

Buzz
12-20-2014, 09:04 PM
I hand form and like 'em thick. I can cook longer to develop that thick crust without overcooking the burger.

Good stuff, either way!

It depends on the quality of meat for me, If it's a steak burger, yes, thicker and medium rear. Cheap hamburger, I form it thin.

gblowfish
12-20-2014, 09:06 PM
I use 80/20 on hamburger meat. Anything leaner than that is too dry.

Buzz
12-20-2014, 09:16 PM
I use 80/20 on hamburger meat. Anything leaner than that is too dry.

80/20 works for me, are you smashing the patty?

gblowfish
12-20-2014, 09:18 PM
80/20 works for me, are you smashing the patty?

No, I hand pack them, No need to smash them, it just squishes the juice out of the burger.

Baby Lee
12-20-2014, 09:31 PM
Cast iron dutch oven is the perfect popcorn popping machine.

And popping popcorn is the perfect way to reinforce the seasoning on your cast iron without muss, fuss or odors.

HonestChieffan
12-20-2014, 09:36 PM
I just counted. 36 CI pots n pans. Most Wagner but recently buying BSR

lewdog
12-20-2014, 10:46 PM
They cooked up fine, it's just the grease smoke set off the smoke alarms in the house! Can't open the windows in the middle of December.

I cook burgers in my cast iron ON the grill! I do this a lot to not stink or smoke up the house. Throw the cast iron right on the grill and just cook away. I do this with chicken, steak and pork chops too.

Fire Me Boy!
12-21-2014, 05:21 AM
No, I hand pack them, No need to smash them, it just squishes the juice out of the burger.

:Spock:

Not if you smash them before they cook.

scho63
12-21-2014, 07:19 AM
Two nights ago I used my 15 pound cast iron dutch oven to cook a pot roast. It came out so damn tender and delicious!

Seared it everywhere, even standing on ends while holding it with the tongs to get every spot seared just right. I then removed the roast, added garlic and onions to the bottom of the pan with more oil and some butter and thyme, oregano and basil, cooked then briefly, then added two cups of Chianti and four cups of cold water, added the roast back in along with big carrot and potato chunks.

Brought to a boil then turned down to a slow percolate for 3 hours.

For the gravy I added just butter and sour cream to thicken, whisking briskly while reducing.

gblowfish
12-21-2014, 11:04 AM
That sounds really tasty man!

TRR
01-08-2021, 11:24 AM
I received a No. 12 Smithey cast iron skillet for Xmas, and man is it a game changer. Less splatter, heats so evenly, and wipes down with no problem. The price tag isn’t cheap, but it’s the absolute best cast iron skillet I’ve ever owned.

Megatron96
01-08-2021, 11:54 AM
I received a No. 12 Smithey cast iron skillet for Xmas, and man is it a game changer. Less splatter, heats so evenly, and wipes down with no problem. The price tag isn’t cheap, but it’s the absolute best cast iron skillet I’ve ever owned.

Really nice, aren't they? Love mine.

FlaChief58
01-08-2021, 12:11 PM
My wife just got me a CI grill pan. I've cured it, but haven't cooked anything in it yet though. I picked up some ground elk last week, so I'm planning on elk burgers next week one day.