PDA

View Full Version : Prayer Request Conference Realignment Spin-off: Who should the B12 add...?

Pages : [1] 2 3

Mr_Tomahawk
12-07-2014, 02:04 PM
The BigXII shot itself in the foot yesterday with the round-robin setup. 4 of the 5 P5 conferences have a championship game. The higher seed in each of those games got into the playoffs...whether those are the 4 top teams or not. I don't think FSU or OSU are a top 4 team...but that's for another thread.

The Big12 is going to be relying on the lower seed to win one of these championship games from her on out if they choose not to have a B12 CCG. IMO, that isn't a good way to get your conference represented in the playoffs...
The round-robin is cute...but until they expand to 8 teams. The B12 could find themselves in this situation more often than Not.

The Baylor vs KSU was the championship argument is flawed as is the B12 could have had 2 teams in the playoffs...

So....to get the B12 back to....12 teams, what two teams would you add?

Poll to come...

teedubya
12-07-2014, 02:06 PM
This will impact recruiting as well. Oh can't get into the round robin? I'm going to a different Conference.

Bowser
12-07-2014, 02:19 PM
University of Alabama-Birmingham

kchero
12-07-2014, 02:39 PM
MO State...then it would make sense having your bball tourney in KCMO.

Unsmooth-Moment
12-07-2014, 02:41 PM
Cincinnati/ Memphis or Byu/Colorado St. Depending which way they want to expand.

ping2000
No more teams from Texas. Fuck Texas.

Prison Bitch
None.

ping2000
12-07-2014, 02:45 PM
Chiefs.

Rams Fan
12-07-2014, 02:49 PM
None.

One true champion!

digger
12-07-2014, 02:55 PM
2 is good, but as we are heading for super conferences, they need to add 4 or 6.

Eleazar
12-07-2014, 02:57 PM
Bring on the city schools!

LiveSteam
12-07-2014, 03:12 PM
UNO Mavs.

RobBlake
12-07-2014, 03:23 PM
Fresno State/San Diego State.. boise and byu are potential too

RustShack
12-07-2014, 04:20 PM
Now my question is does this open ND's eyes? Maybe they realize a conference championship is more important than they thought?

notorious
12-07-2014, 04:29 PM
Dodge City Community College and Fort Hays State.

Why Not?
12-07-2014, 05:02 PM
Really classy by the Cards

Why Not?
12-07-2014, 05:03 PM
Really classy by the Cards

Haha. Wrong thread

WilliamTheIrish
12-07-2014, 05:27 PM
There are no teams worth adding.

GloucesterChief
12-07-2014, 05:33 PM
BYU doesn't play any sports on Sunday. That is why they weren't offered a place when the PAC12 added Utah.

RustShack
12-07-2014, 05:37 PM
BYU doesn't play any sports on Sunday. That is why they weren't offered a place when the PAC12 added Utah.

They've been trying to join the Big12.

Bewbies
12-07-2014, 06:18 PM
Nobody you'd want is dumb enough to join that dumpster fire.

Mr_Tomahawk
12-07-2014, 08:23 PM
So BYU and Houston?

Jerm
12-07-2014, 08:29 PM
What about Colorado St.?

Them and BYU? Hell just throwing it out there...

Eleazar
12-07-2014, 08:32 PM
Maybe they should add 6 teams.

Prison Bitch
12-07-2014, 08:46 PM
The Big 12 is getting rich. $20m each off the TV deal. Kansas brought in 93m last fiscal year. The playoff share was $6m extra - total. So we lost out on $600k? Who gives a spit. That won't even cover our women's basketball coach.

It's really not that important, and not worth diluting the TV share adding emaciated mouths to feed.

Mr_Tomahawk
12-07-2014, 08:53 PM
The Big 12 is getting rich. $20m each off the TV deal. Kansas brought in 93m last fiscal year. The playoff share was $6m extra - total. So we lost out on $600k? Who gives a spit. That won't even cover our women's basketball coach.

It's really not that important, and not worth diluting the TV share adding emaciated mouths to feed.

I don't really care....not a penny of that is going into my pocket.

I want to see a CGG again...the way it should be.

WilliamTheIrish
12-07-2014, 09:14 PM
Then petition for the waiver.

Bambi
12-07-2014, 09:30 PM

lol, damn PB. Nice way of putting things in perspective.

That being said I love playing everyone in the conference. Start adding teams and you get stupid scheduling like the SEC has.

Did the Big 12 get screwed this year? Yeah. But Ohio State would have been crying the same as Baylor and TCU had it happened to them.

The Big 12 simply had two teams that were better than two teams that made it in. (I'm not going to go crazy over FSU being that they simply haven't lost...you can't take them out)

Had it been Oklahoma or Texas instead of Baylor or TCU? They would have got in. There's no denying that. That's college football, it's been the same way for 100 years.

Discuss Thrower
12-07-2014, 09:31 PM
Cinci, Memphis, UCF and USF.

Chiefspants
12-07-2014, 09:33 PM
I think the two best available teams are BYU and Cincinnati. The reasons against Cincinnati seem awfully similar to the reasons the Big 12 passed Louisville (It's a city school, they'd have questionable market reach, etc etc). Well, seeing how well passing Louisville worked out for us, I'd rather us now take a chance on a school which has had consistent success on the gridiron and the basketball court.

Next, BYU has an incredibly loyal and expansive fan base throughout the west coast. If they swallow their Texas like pride and demands they had of the Big 12 in 2010, this could be a massive get for the conference. I think the odds of this are rather questionable, and I think it's more likely that the Big 12 will expand east to relieve the travel burden of West Virginia.

Prediction: Cincinnati and Memphis.

Bambi
12-07-2014, 09:44 PM
The Big 12 is not going to give up millions just to get an easier path to the NC.

It's a strange way of looking at things but it's the truth.

None of these shitty teams will be added.

Prison Bitch
12-07-2014, 09:58 PM
I don't really care....not a penny of that is going into my pocket.

I want to see a CGG again...the way it should be.

You want to go back to 8 league football games? You want to bring in opponents we have zero history with that nobody cares about? Playing Boise in October gives you a raging hard on?

You want to bring in trashy basketball programs we will have to smash a few times a year at the expense of playing 4 against Texas/OU/Baylor/OSU? So Baylor could've beaten KSU last night in Dallas?

Sorry but that's crazy.

Mr_Tomahawk
12-07-2014, 10:06 PM
You want to go back to 8 league football games? You want to bring in opponents we have zero history with that nobody cares about? Playing Boise in October gives you a raging hard on?

You want to bring in trashy basketball programs we will have to smash a few times a year at the expense of playing 4 against Texas/OU/Baylor/OSU? So Baylor could've beaten KSU last night in Dallas?

Sorry but that's crazy.

Every P5 has shitty football/basketball teams.

B12 has KU Football and TCU basketball... Bringing in Memphis and UCF isn't going to bring in a program worse than either of those.

Bambi
12-07-2014, 10:17 PM
Every P5 has shitty football/basketball teams.

B12 has KU Football and TCU basketball... Bringing in Memphis and UCF isn't going to bring in a program worse than either of those.

I agree with PB on this one. The sport that matters to us we will compete in every year anyway.

The college football world is built by a group of absolute crazy people who have completely lost what is important about collegiate athletics.

Do I want KU to compete in football with these idiots? Sure, but that's mostly because I like to get drunk on Saturday afternoons and watch guys knock each other around and yell at the opposing fans that we're playing that day.

The teams that were chosen for this playoff had nothing to do with Championship games, or records....or even who they beat. It was all about the name on the front of the jersey and although both TCU and Baylor are most likely better than at least two of the teams playing in this "playoff" it never really mattered.

Did some of us miss this fact over the past few weeks? Perhaps. Do you really think that if Baylor and TCU played a Championship Game last Saturday they would have gotten in over OSU?

Baylor has an enrollment of 10k. Ohio State is closer to 60k. College Football will never be settled on the field. It never has. It's not basketball where everyone is given a fair shake throughout the season.

Don't let the emotion of this dog and pony show that they're calling a playoff change what you love about college football. Playing everyone every year is something to be valued and with the amount TV networks are willing to pay us to do it just makes smart business sense.

Moving into the future shouldn't include one single team on this list. I'm not saying the Big 12 should just close their eyes to all that is around them but what they need to do now is be smart... Adding a bunch of random teams to get some kind of cock-eyed CG isn't it.

Saul Good
12-07-2014, 10:44 PM
The Big 12 is not going to give up millions just to get an easier path to the NC.

It's a strange way of looking at things but it's the truth.

None of these shitty teams will be added.

Wow. Pretty damning indictment of the conference.

Bambi
12-07-2014, 10:47 PM
Wow. Pretty damning indictment of the conference.

You're a fan of a school that was added because the population of your state made a television network more viable.

Pretty damning indictment of the conference.

Saul Good
12-07-2014, 10:49 PM
The Big 12 should add Cincy and Memphis. Good markets, ties the footprint together some, good basketball, recent success in football, Memphis has a mega-booster, and both have the potential to improve with the backing of a major conference behind them.

Should have grabbed Louisville and one of these two when they had the chance...

Saul Good
12-07-2014, 10:50 PM
You're a fan of a school that was added because the population of your state made a television network more viable.

Pretty damning indictment of the conference.

Are you talking about the conference with the number 1 team in football, the number 1 team in basketball, and the National Champions in baseball?

Bambi
12-07-2014, 10:52 PM
Are you talking about the conference with the number 1 team in football, the number 1 team in basketball, and the National Champions in baseball?

Florida State and UConn aren't in the same conference.

I couldn't tell you who won baseball. Cal State Fullerton?

Chiefspants
12-07-2014, 11:03 PM
Expansion is absolutely essential to the long term vitality of the Big 12, and I struggle to see a legitimate argument to the contrary.

Bambi and PB are ignoring the fact that the SEC actually had a down year. Most years, the SEC is going to force two teams into the four team playoff. Had the playoff started last year, we'd be looking at the 2nd year in a row where the Big 12 missed out on making it in. Say what you want about the SEC, but it's undeniable that they're going to get the benefit of the doubt most years, a respect that anyone in the Big 12 not named Texas or Oklahoma does not have on the national level.

Those saying we should stay put are looking at the conferences future over the next 10 years, rather than the next 50. If the Big 12 begins to miss the playoff with regularity (something that could easily happen), look for Texas and Oklahoma to bolt to the Pac 12 the instant the GOR expires. This will destroy the Big 12. End of story.

Lastly, I think people are not fully appreciating how a round robin schedule puts Big 12 teams at an inherent disadvantage. Teams in the SEC and the Big 10 receive a major advantage by missing four of the (power) teams inside the conference, this allows teams like 2012 Florida to earn a BCS bowl without playing the CCG, (and if we want to reach further back, KU in 2007). Round robins have the dual disadvantage of ensuring that the Big 12's best teams absolutely pound each other while also taking away a non-conference game that could bolster the Big 12's team standing in January.

It's true, none of these teams would be "sexy" additions (for that matter, Louisville wouldn't have been either), but the clock's ticking on the Big 12's GOR, and if the SEC bounces back next year, the future of a 10-team big 12 could be in serious trouble.

Prison Bitch
12-07-2014, 11:37 PM
The issue I'm responding to was tomahawks wish to see a football title game. I think the problems that brings for a KU fan are clearly bigger than any benefits. We won't be playing in that game often if ever.....and we have to sacrifice games vs teams we know (who are mostly good) for potential crap.

Money isn't a big concern of mine but taking less to feed starving welfare cases like Cinci or Memphis or whomever isn't appealing at all. Louisville and BYU? Sure, good adds and appealing hoops matchups. That's what KU fans should want, not utter trash like Boise or UCF. What's in it for us? Lousivilles gone anyway.

At any rate they aren't adding members, there's nothing worth adding. This is all moot

Prison Bitch
12-07-2014, 11:42 PM
I agree with PB on this one. The sport that matters to us we will compete in every year anyway.

The college football world is built by a group of absolute crazy people who have completely lost what is important about collegiate athletics.

Do I want KU to compete in football with these idiots? Sure, but that's mostly because I like to get drunk on Saturday afternoons and watch guys knock each other around and yell at the opposing fans that we're playing that day.

The teams that were chosen for this playoff had nothing to do with Championship games, or records....or even who they beat. It was all about the name on the front of the jersey and although both TCU and Baylor are most likely better than at least two of the teams playing in this "playoff" it never really mattered.

Did some of us miss this fact over the past few weeks? Perhaps. Do you really think that if Baylor and TCU played a Championship Game last Saturday they would have gotten in over OSU?

Baylor has an enrollment of 10k. Ohio State is closer to 60k. College Football will never be settled on the field. It never has. It's not basketball where everyone is given a fair shake throughout the season.

Don't let the emotion of this dog and pony show that they're calling a playoff change what you love about college football. Playing everyone every year is something to be valued and with the amount TV networks are willing to pay us to do it just makes smart business sense.

Moving into the future shouldn't include one single team on this list. I'm not saying the Big 12 should just close their eyes to all that is around them but what they need to do now is be smart... Adding a bunch of random teams to get some kind of cock-eyed CG isn't it.

This, all of it.

Can't believe any KU fan would ever care about the league winning a title. That's what loser fan bases do because its all they have. Baylor winning football means nothing to me in the least. I think TCU belonged but im not emotionally scared. And I root against Texas and OU nearly all the time as it is

GloucesterChief
12-07-2014, 11:45 PM
Expansion is absolutely essential to the long term vitality of the Big 12, and I struggle to see a legitimate argument to the contrary.

Bambi and PB are ignoring the fact that the SEC actually had a down year. Most years, the SEC is going to force two teams into the four team playoff. Had the playoff started last year, we'd be looking at the 2nd year in a row where the Big 12 missed out on making it in. Say what you want about the SEC, but it's undeniable that they're going to get the benefit of the doubt most years, a respect that anyone in the Big 12 not named Texas or Oklahoma does not have on the national level.

Those saying we should stay put are looking at the conferences future over the next 10 years, rather than the next 50. If the Big 12 begins to miss the playoff with regularity (something that could easily happen), look for Texas and Oklahoma to bolt to the Pac 12 the instant the GOR expires. This will destroy the Big 12. End of story.

Lastly, I think people are not fully appreciating how a round robin schedule puts Big 12 teams at an inherent disadvantage. Teams in the SEC and the Big 10 receive a major advantage by missing four of the (power) teams inside the conference, this allows teams like 2012 Florida to earn a BCS bowl without playing the CCG, (and if we want to reach further back, KU in 2007). Round robins have the dual disadvantage of ensuring that the Big 12's best teams absolutely pound each other while also taking away a non-conference game that could bolster the Big 12's team standing in January.

It's true, none of these teams would be "sexy" additions (for that matter, Louisville wouldn't have been either), but the clock's ticking on the Big 12's GOR, and if the SEC bounces back next year, the future of a 10-team big 12 could be in serious trouble.

Pac -12 would take OU, Texas, and two others out of Okie St, Texas Tech, Baylor, or TCU. The Pac 12 also plays 9 conference games. Going to 16 teams means that it will either be a 7-2 or 6-3 division schedule. I would guess 6-3 because the Cali schools would want to play in Texas often and vice versa.

WilliamTheIrish
12-08-2014, 02:13 AM
Pac -12 would take OU, Texas, and two others out of Okie St, Texas Tech, Baylor, or TCU. The Pac 12 also plays 9 conference games. Going to 16 teams means that it will either be a 7-2 or 6-3 division schedule. I would guess 6-3 because the Cali schools would want to play in Texas often and vice versa.

The PAC doesn't want UT. Or OU.

Saul Good
12-08-2014, 08:29 AM
The PAC doesn't want UT. Or OU.

I don't understand why anyone would unless it was the only way the league could stay afloat financially. On Shaggybevo, there are all kind of threads talking about moving to the PAC. They invariably turn to discussions on how the league can be configured so that they wouldn't lose any of their influence over the conference compared to what they have in the Big 12.

The Longhorns are like locusts.

Bambi
12-08-2014, 09:03 AM
I don't understand why anyone would unless it was the only way the league could stay afloat financially. On Shaggybevo, there are all kind of threads talking about moving to the PAC. They invariably turn to discussions on how the league can be configured so that they wouldn't lose any of their influence over the conference compared to what they have in the Big 12.

Your posts are like a gift that keeps on giving. Either Texas runs everything that is Big 12 all day, everyday... or they're a whisper in the wind compared to the powerhouse "parochial" schools that have made the Longhorns their bitch.

Make up your mind man.

Saul Good
12-08-2014, 09:09 AM
Your posts are like a gift that keeps on giving. Either Texas runs everything that is Big 12 all day, everyday... or they're a whisper in the wind compared to the powerhouse "parochial" schools that have made the Longhorns their bitch.

Make up your mind man.

I'm pretty sure that everyone else is smart enough to understand that Texas, despite being not much more than mediocre athletically, has a wildly disproportionate amount of I fluency over the Big 12. These two facts are in no way mutually exclusive.

This isn't even a controversial statement. Only the willfully ignorant would deny it.

And said parochial schools certainly aren't powerhouses. We saw what happened when Baylor played the AAC champion last year. They were run out of the building, and that was Baylor's most successful season in history.

Mile High Mania
12-08-2014, 09:23 AM
They should go after Cincy and Colorado State.

GloucesterChief
12-08-2014, 09:25 AM

Because they will have USC, UCLA, Cal, Stanford, Oregon, and UW against them. The Cali schools like to fight a lot but they will band together if need be. Going to 16 actually solves a lot of problems with scheduling as the Pac12 is configured now since the four Cali schools want to play each other every year. You go with the old Pac 8 (USC, UCLA, Stanford, Cal, Oregon, Oregon State, UW, and WSU) and then the newcomers (Ariz, ASU, Col, Utah and the four former Big 12 schools).

ChiTown
12-08-2014, 09:25 AM
:Lin:your list............

Reerun_KC
12-08-2014, 09:28 AM

I would of taken Boise, BYU, Cinncy and one of the Florida teams...

Prison Bitch
12-08-2014, 09:32 AM
They should go after Cincy and Colorado State.

Nobody wants that trash

ILChief
12-08-2014, 09:33 AM
Boise state and BYU. And it's not even close. Should have kept Nebraska and Missouri. Adding WV was dumb as they are a much better fit in the ACC

GloucesterChief
12-08-2014, 09:35 AM
Boise state and BYU. And it's not even close. Should have kept Nebraska and Missouri. Adding WV was dumb as they are a much better fit in the ACC

Actually, would of been a very good fit in the B10. Morgantown is very close to Ohio. Big10 should of grabbed WVU and Pitt instead of Rutgers and Maryland.

ILChief
12-08-2014, 09:37 AM
Actually, would of been a very good fit in the B10. Morgantown is very close to Ohio. Big10 should of grabbed WVU and Pitt instead of Rutgers and Maryland.

That too. I was thinking of them following miami, vt, etc from the big east to the acc

Eleazar
12-08-2014, 09:40 AM
Lastly, I think people are not fully appreciating how a round robin schedule puts Big 12 teams at an inherent disadvantage... Round robins have the dual disadvantage of ensuring that the Big 12's best teams absolutely pound each other while also taking away a non-conference game that could bolster the Big 12's team standing in January.

The other end of that also hurts you. The fact that the best team in the conference will never miss Iowa State or Kansas or Texas Tech (etc) on their schedule means their strength of schedule will always be taking a hit. Beating bad teams doesn't do anything for your standing with the selection committee. In a conference with two divisions you'd miss half the bad teams ceteris paribus

GloucesterChief
12-08-2014, 09:45 AM
The other end of that also hurts you. The fact that the best team in the conference will never miss Iowa State or Kansas or Texas Tech (etc) on their schedule means their strength of schedule will always be taking a hit. Beating bad teams doesn't do anything for your standing with the selection committee. In a conference with two divisions you'd miss half the bad teams ceteris paribus

I don't know about that. The Big10 is full of bad teams and didn't seem to hurt Ohio State. They lost to VT in Columbus after all.

Saul Good
12-08-2014, 10:06 AM

West Virginia in the ACC or B1G? Never in a million years. The B1G had to hold their noses to allow Nebraska in. West Virginia makes Nebraska look like MIT.

Eleazar
12-08-2014, 10:12 AM
I don't know about that. The Big10 is full of bad teams and didn't seem to hurt Ohio State. They lost to VT in Columbus after all.

Ohio State is a conference champion and beat 3 teams that finished the season ranked. Their SOS is marginally better than Baylor's, as well.

Baylor is a conference co-champion with 2 wins against ranked teams. It's close between the two, but you take Ohio State based on the quantifiables, not some vague notion that "the B1G is shitty". Baylor's schedule doesn't help them in comparison to OSU's.

TCU is a conference runner-up that only beat 1 ranked team and lost to the conference "winner", which puts them right out.

Mr_Tomahawk

There is an OTHER option...

Dipshit.

alnorth
Poll failure

You needed to add a "no one" option, or this poll is worthless.

The Big 12 can get a waiver from the NCAA to play a CCG with 10 teams if they need it.

Mr_Tomahawk
12-08-2014, 10:16 AM
Poll failure

You needed to add a "no one" option, or this poll is worthless.

The Big 12 can get a waiver from the NCAA to play a CCG with 10 teams if they need it.

EbolAIDS.

Rookie.

CoMoChief
12-08-2014, 10:17 AM
The Big 12 needs 12 teams. Otherwise change the fucking name of the conference.

First choice would be Notre Dame...but that would never happen in a million yrs.

But regarding the poll...I chose Cincinnati and Boise St.

Saul Good
12-08-2014, 10:20 AM
Ohio State is a conference champion and beat 3 teams that finished the season ranked. Their SOS is marginally better than Baylor's, as well.

Baylor is a conference co-champion with 2 wins against ranked teams. It's close between the two, but you take Ohio State based on the quantifiables, not some vague notion that "the B1G is shitty". Baylor's schedule doesn't help them in comparison to OSU's.

TCU is a conference runner-up that only beat 1 ranked team and lost to the conference "winner", which puts them right out.

Ohio State played 7 games against teams with winning records. TCU and Baylor played 7 combined.

alnorth
12-08-2014, 10:52 AM
EbolAIDS.

Rookie.

"EbolAIDS" does not mean "no one, get a waiver to play a CCG with 10".

It is a dumb nonsensical internet meme that means nothing in the context of this poll.

You have committed a poll failure.

alnorth
12-08-2014, 10:53 AM

No.

Gonzo
12-08-2014, 10:57 AM
Nebraska... They can't compete in their current division. Might as well...

Gonzo
12-08-2014, 10:58 AM

First choice would be Notre Dame...but that would never happen in a million yrs.

But regarding the poll...I chose Cincinnati and Boise St.

But he big 10 should keep their name. History and all.

morphius
12-08-2014, 11:00 AM
I don't think it would have mattered, Ohio State would have gotten in on name alone. It isn't the first time they have, and will not be the last time. You can't explain TCU dropping 3 places in the polls just because they beat a team by about 50 points.

morphius
12-08-2014, 11:04 AM
I don't think it would have mattered, Ohio State would have gotten in on name alone. It isn't the first time they have, and will not be the last time. You can't explain TCU dropping 3 places in the polls just because they beat a team by about 50 points.

I'll add that if it had been OU or Texas, they would be in the playoffs.

Saul Good
12-08-2014, 11:15 AM

Their strength of schedule took a big hit by playing a terrible Iowa State team. It took a further hit when Oklahoma lost and reduced the number of ranked teams TCU had played. Finally, extra credit for conference championships was applied to OSU and Baylor.

It was the perfect storm when combined with Ohio State's drop the mic performance.

ChiTown
12-08-2014, 11:17 AM
There is an OTHER option...

Dipshit.

:deevee:

KC native
12-08-2014, 11:21 AM
I'll add that if it had been OU or Texas, they would be in the playoffs.

This.

Predarat
12-08-2014, 11:23 AM
Make Wichita State bring football back and add them.

Mr. Laz
12-08-2014, 11:29 AM
FSU
Clemson

ChiTown
12-08-2014, 11:30 AM
FSU
Clemson

AS completely unrealistic as that is, at this point, I could absolutely get behind that.

Mr. Laz
12-08-2014, 11:35 AM
AS completely unrealistic as that is, at this point, I could absolutely get behind that.
Both schools were rumored to be interested back when all the conference shuffling started.

Reerun_KC
12-08-2014, 11:39 AM
Both schools were rumored to be interested back when all the conference shuffling started.
Arrogance will be the down fall of the big 12. Sooner the better.

BWillie
12-08-2014, 11:42 AM
ZERO TEAMS FROM TEXAS

I'd go with teams with huge enrollments. Cincinnati and Central Florida. Central Florida has one of the largest enrollments in the United States. It is a sleeping giant if they can just get momentum to build a football program.

Mr_Tomahawk
12-08-2014, 11:43 AM
ZERO TEAMS FROM TEXAS

I'd go with teams with huge enrollments. Cincinnati and Central Florida. Central Florida has one of the largest enrollments in the United States. It is a sleeping giant if they can just get momentum to build a football program.

This.

I still love Memphis though....I think there is a lot of potential as well.

BWillie
12-08-2014, 11:48 AM
I'm actually tired of everyone dogging on the Big 12 for the co-champions thing. If the committee can't think for themselves, then what good is it? Them crowing a co-champion or not should have absolutely no bearing on the selection process. None.

And, think about this. Every other conference plays EIGHT games. EVERYONE in the Big 12 plays NINE. AND, if it was split into divisions like every other conference, it would have set K-State vs Baylor for the championship game, which Baylor won anyway. So I don't quite understand the backlash against Bowlsby and the B12. People on the committee are paid to do critical thinking and see these things. If they can't, the committee has failed CFF.

BWillie
12-08-2014, 11:50 AM
This.

I still love Memphis though....I think there is a lot of potential as well.

21,000 students, very regional school. Bad academics. Terrible football program.

Love it for basketball, hate it for anything else. I would rather have BYU or Colorado State before Memfizz.

Saul Good
12-08-2014, 11:50 AM
ZERO TEAMS FROM TEXAS

UCF's got a huge enrollment, but it's a commuter school...more of a community college feel to it. Cincy is similar in some ways, but they have much more university pride from their alums.

Neither would be a bad choice given the available options. BYU and Memphis would be the other two that would be worth at least considering.

ChiTown
12-08-2014, 11:52 AM

Right. I'm saying that that ship has sailed at this point.

Saul Good
12-08-2014, 11:53 AM
21,000 students, very regional school. Bad academics. Terrible football program.

Love it for basketball, hate it for anything else. I would rather have BYU or Colorado State before Memfizz.

Sounds a little bit like South Carolina when the SEC picked them up. Memphis also has Fed-Ex money...not quite Nike at Oregon, but similar to T. Boone and Oklahoma State.

Saul Good
12-08-2014, 11:59 AM
I'm actually tired of everyone dogging on the Big 12 for the co-champions thing. If the committee can't think for themselves, then what good is it? Them crowing a co-champion or not should have absolutely no bearing on the selection process. None.

And, think about this. Every other conference plays EIGHT games. EVERYONE in the Big 12 plays NINE. AND, if it was split into divisions like every other conference, it would have set K-State vs Baylor for the championship game, which Baylor won anyway. So I don't quite understand the backlash against Bowlsby and the B12. People on the committee are paid to do critical thinking and see these things. If they can't, the committee has failed CFF.

Bowlsby went on record saying that head to head would determine the champion. Then, when he thought he could sneak two teams in, he flipped and said there would be co-champions. He tried to have it both ways. Smallest conference, twice as many "champions", duck a CCG, and get an extra off week... The committee isn't going to give you the benefit of the doubt. Why should they?

BWillie
12-08-2014, 12:11 PM
Bowlsby went on record saying that head to head would determine the champion. Then, when he thought he could sneak two teams in, he flipped and said there would be co-champions. He tried to have it both ways. Smallest conference, twice as many "champions", duck a CCG, and get an extra off week... The committee isn't going to give you the benefit of the doubt. Why should they?

Why should the committee take into account if they have a little crown or star next to their name? Like I said, IT SHOULD NOT MATTER to the committee. THey should look at it as two 11-1 teams, look at the resume, that is it. The committee shouldn't give any shits about who is TECHNICALLY crowned conference champion.

Predarat
12-08-2014, 12:29 PM
I would be all for expanding the playoffs and making conference championships optional.

GloucesterChief
12-08-2014, 12:47 PM

PAC12 plays nine conference games and IIRC they were the first to do it back when it was the PAC10.

GloucesterChief
12-08-2014, 12:52 PM
ZERO TEAMS FROM TEXAS

Good luck with that. ASU is similar (in fact has a larger enrollment) and while they have had some very good teams they have been unable to supplant USC, UCLA, or now Oregon as the dominant teams in the conference.

Mr_Tomahawk
12-08-2014, 06:00 PM
@sportingnews: Source to @tsnmike: Big 12 met w/ Cincinnati administrators before playoff snub. http://t.co/gs3DJYLykq http://t.co/Z3Y87msyGD

Saul Good
12-08-2014, 06:13 PM
Why should the committee take into account if they have a little crown or star next to their name? Like I said, IT SHOULD NOT MATTER to the committee. THey should look at it as two 11-1 teams, look at the resume, that is it. The committee shouldn't give any shits about who is TECHNICALLY crowned conference champion.

I'm not saying they should...but they made it clear long ago that they do. Don't like it? Get your conference up to 12+ teams like everyone else. Don't like the choices out there? Then you shouldn't have run your conference so poorly that a third of your conference sprinted off to greener pastures.

Pretending you didn't know that the parameters included an emphasis on conference champions sure as shit isn't the answer.

kccrow
12-08-2014, 06:18 PM
From a football viewer ratings standpoint, UCF and Boise State seem like the logical choices.

Basketball, however, and you have to look seriously at Cincinnati. Cincinnati isn't terrible at football and being in the Big 12 could help them some.

I'd shoot for UCF and Cincinnati and strengthen the conference on 2 fronts.

Mr_Tomahawk
12-08-2014, 06:19 PM
@ch000ch: me: i mean seriously guys, what idiot gets killed by an astroid
crowd: [laughing]
dinosaurs in crowd: wow fuck this guy

KChiefs1
12-08-2014, 06:25 PM
BYU & Cincinnati win.

KChiefs1
12-08-2014, 06:27 PM
What is the distance between Provo & Morgantown?

Prison Bitch
12-08-2014, 06:32 PM
@sportingnews: Source to @tsnmike: Big 12 met w/ Cincinnati administrators before playoff snub. http://t.co/gs3DJYLykq http://t.co/Z3Y87msyGD

Every conf meets with schools. Info means nothing

HolyHandgernade
12-08-2014, 06:46 PM
Just get Arkansas and LSU and call it a day. :)

Prison Bitch
12-08-2014, 06:48 PM
We need to find a butthurt mediocrity. Both aspects are necessary: a school that isn't a bottom feeder happy to please its overlords, but not the overlord itself. Neither wants to leave that controlling relationship.

KChiefs1
12-08-2014, 07:05 PM

B1G should have grabbed Mizzou but I'm glad they didn't.

KChiefs1
12-08-2014, 08:18 PM
Mike DeArmond weighs in:

That the Big 12 Conference continues a recent tradition of not being able to get out of its own way, and to make short-sighted decisions that may ultimately doom that league to falling apart.

When Colorado, Nebraska, Texas A&M and Missouri left, the Big 12 (which is really just a 10-team league with the additions of West Virginia and TCU on board) chose to keep high its payments to each member of the conference. Fine for the short term, but not for the long term or even, as has been shown this week, for the present term.

Without the requisite 12 teams to have divisions, and thereby to stage a league championship game, the Big 12 gave the selection committee one less game - read victory - to compare it to the champions of the SEC, the Pac 12 and the Big 10. That seemed to make a difference in the selection of Ohio State, which allegedly trailed TCU going into the final Selection Sunday.

That seems millions of dollars wise considering the eight oldest Big 12 schools got $23 million each in league payouts last year (TCU and West Virginia received only $14 million). But with the Big 12's exclusion from the football final four, that's an extra $6 million of foolish loss, and more when you consider the probable extra endorsement and alumni payments that would have come to a school making the gang of four.

Big 12 commissioner Bob Bowlsby has said the Big 12 might ask for special permission to have divisions with only 10 teams, but no member of the SEC, the Big 10, the ACC or the Pac 12 is likely to vote for that. Why help out the competition? College athletics is NOT a collegial world, no matter what you may have heard.

What the Big 12 could do is decide to force its members to schedule non conference teams with a heartbeat. Baylor ranked last in major college football with a non-conference schedule of SMU, Northwestern State and Buffalo. That was an albatross the Bears could not shake when being compared to Ohio State. And because Baylor beat TCU, the Frogs wound up carrying that weight as well in any comparison to the Buckeyes. Hey, you guys lost only one, but it was to a team that padded up on patsies!

Hey Baylor, better start buying out those games in 2015 versus SMU, Lamar and Rice.

Because it allowed Texas, and in a smaller way Oklahoma, to dictate league policy in the Big 12 to the detriment of everybody else, Colorado, Nebraska, Missouri and Texas A&M bolted. That was one mistake. The bigger one was replacing only half of the departing teams in the double wave of expansion that rocked the college athletic world.

Now, there simply are not any viable candidates to be added to restore the Big 12's former luster. Cincinnati and BYU? Okay, not bad. But you're not going to make many headlines with those additions. Memphis? As Kansas found out, explansion is about football, not basketball. Houston? Rice? Utep? SMU? Hey, they could officially call it the Big Texas, which is pretty much what the Big 12 became anyway.

Or, the Big 12 could cross its fingers and toes, its legs, its arms and its eyes, and hope that Texas or Oklahoma don't get fed up and jump to either the SEC or the Pac 12 and thereby erase the Big 12 from all but memory.

Valiant
12-08-2014, 09:16 PM
None... they will not add and hurt their money stream by diluting.

Also, fuck the big 12.. They were a horrible conference this year. Missouri could of went undefeated in it, and not deserved to go to the bowl championship playoff series.. It was made worse with the backtracking and having co-champions.. Baylor was the champion of the conference, how the fuck are you going to take TCU over the champion?? They deserved to get dropped for that reason alone..

RustShack
12-08-2014, 09:54 PM
Remember when Alabama won the NC without winning their conference? The best team doesn't always win.

Saul Good
12-08-2014, 10:02 PM
Remember when Alabama won the NC without winning their conference? The best team doesn't always win.

Remember how they didn't go instead of the team that did win the conference...but went behind LSU (who was the only undefeated team)?

If Baylor had gone undefeated, and TCU had only lost to Baylor in that extremely close game, and Florida State had a loss, both teams would very possibly be in. That's not what happened, though.

Eleazar
12-08-2014, 10:13 PM
Good take from DeArmond. The Big X tried to strategize a way to complete with the major conferences with only ten teams. It didn't work. It won't work unless all the chips fall their way in a given year. They need to change with the times and not demand that they be given a handicapped parking space in the postseason.

HolyHandgernade
12-08-2014, 10:20 PM
None... they will not add and hurt their money stream by diluting.

Also, **** the big 12.. They were a horrible conference this year. Missouri could of went undefeated in it, and not deserved to go to the bowl championship playoff series.. It was made worse with the backtracking and having co-champions.. Baylor was the champion of the conference, how the **** are you going to take TCU over the champion?? They deserved to get dropped for that reason alone..

First of all, no, they weren't a horrible conference this year, they just weren't as top heavy.

Missouri lost to frickin' Indiana. Any team that loses to frickin' Indiana isn't going undefeated in any conference, no matter how bad the division is (SEC EAST)

They didn't backtrack into co-champions, that is how it has always been done in this conference except for years football had enough members to stage a conference championship. That's walking in your tracks, not backtracking. Remember when KU got selected over MU for the Orange Bowl? Who won the head to head then?

They deserved to get dropped because they didn't have a final extra game to weight their resume. They didn't have a title game where the "other opponent" laid down for the other team to guarantee the rest of the conference their payday (come on Wisconsin, you at least have to make it last until the 5th round, every fix knows that) nor did they have a fraud of a weaker division to demolish (feels just like the old Big XII North, eh Mizzou?).

That's why. The b12 tried to play a game of high risk/high reward and came out with the risk end. If GT could have held on they get one in. If Wisconsin sent their Varsity squawd, they may have gotten two in and benefited from the lack of a championship game.

The real issue for the B12 is do they want to continue to play this dangerous roulette game of backing into the Playoffs. I guarantee you, if Wisconsin and GT had won ad the B12 sent two teams to the playoffs, it would not have been long for the playoffs to expand to 6 or 8. But, now that the "older conferences" got to shut the B12 out and make them look foolish in the process, it will probably delay that sentiment. The B12 has to realize the committee meant what it said, they are not giving strength of conference much credence. They get no bonus consideration for winning a tough round robin. They don't care. The other conferences besides the PAC play 8 conference games and 4 OOC. Saying the B12 is a bad conference is really ignorant and not at all consistent with the actual problem. Their problem is they are (outside of KU and ISU) and above average conference forced into a game of attrition that is rewarded by no one.

ChiefsCountry
12-08-2014, 10:21 PM
BYU is the best choice but they have problems. The next would be Connecticut, solid national brand and exposure in the Northeast. Their football sucks but they have a top notch athletic program overall. Cincinnati would be the 3rd best and fill the gap between the Plains and West Virginia.

My picks would be UConn and Cincinnati.

RustShack
12-08-2014, 10:22 PM
So what happens when ND finishes the season with 1 loss? They given that handicap just because they are ND or are they left out too since they didn't win a confrence championship game?

GloucesterChief
12-08-2014, 10:27 PM
First of all, no, they weren't a horrible conference this year, they just weren't as top heavy.

Missouri lost to frickin' Indiana. Any team that loses to frickin' Indiana isn't going undefeated in any conference, no matter how bad the division is (SEC EAST)

They didn't backtrack into co-champions, that is how it has always been done in this conference except for years football had enough members to stage a conference championship. That's walking in your tracks, not backtracking. Remember when KU got selected over MU for the Orange Bowl? Who won the head to head then?

They deserved to get dropped because they didn't have a final extra game to weight their resume. They didn't have a title game where the "other opponent" laid down for the other team to guarantee the rest of the conference their payday (come on Wisconsin, you at least have to make it last until the 5th round, every fix knows that) nor did they have a fraud of a weaker division to demolish (feels just like the old Big XII North, eh Mizzou?).

That's why. The b12 tried to play a game of high risk/high reward and came out with the risk end. If GT could have held on they get one in. If Wisconsin sent their Varsity squawd, they may have gotten two in and benefited from the lack of a championship game.

The real issue for the B12 is do they want to continue to play this dangerous roulette game of backing into the Playoffs. I guarantee you, if Wisconsin and GT had won ad the B12 sent two teams to the playoffs, it would not have been long for the playoffs to expand to 6 or 8. But, now that the "older conferences" got to shut the B12 out and make them look foolish in the process, it will probably delay that sentiment. The B12 has to realize the committee meant what it said, they are not giving strength of conference much credence. They get no bonus consideration for winning a tough round robin. They don't care. The other conferences besides the PAC play 8 conference games and 4 OOC. Saying the B12 is a bad conference is really ignorant and not at all consistent with the actual problem. Their problem is they are (outside of KU and ISU) and above average conference forced into a game of attrition that is rewarded by no one.

NCAA rules say you have to have 12 to have a conference championship game.

If I am TCU's or Baylor's coach though here is what I do: I smoke my bowl opponent, try to drop a hundred on them. Once I am done with that go to the presser and answer the inevitable question of my team trying to score a hundred points a message to the committee saying that yes it was and that you don't consider the winner of the four team playoff as a legitimate national champion because your team was denied the chance to compete.

Now if two first round games are blowouts (I am sure at least one will ie Bama vs. OSU) the heat is suddenly on the committee for not actually doing its proper research.

HolyHandgernade
12-08-2014, 10:31 PM

If I am TCU's or Baylor's coach though here is what I do: I smoke my bowl opponent, try to drop a hundred on them. Once I am done with that go to the presser and answer the inevitable question of my team trying to score a hundred points a message to the committee saying that yes it was and that you don't consider the winner of the four team playoff as a legitimate national champion because your team was denied the chance to compete.

Now if two first round games are blowouts (I am sure at least one will ie Bama vs. OSU) the heat is suddenly on the committee for not actually doing its proper research.

That's true, but our Bowl record has been spotty. If the B12 goes out and wins the vast majority of their games and does it convincingly, it'll have some sentiment, but I don't know it will be enough to change the format because most of the population resides in non-B12 states. So you won't get this huge groundswell of support that you would if money interests in the B1G, SEC or PAC were the ones needing to make the statement. They represent the lion's share of the wealth and the ACC resides in more populous areas. That is the reality.

Dante84
12-08-2014, 10:48 PM
UCF and/or USF to open up the Florida recruiting pipelines; also to justify WVU's East coast geography.

RustShack
12-08-2014, 10:48 PM
If TCU and/or Baylor blow out their opponent, and OSU/FSU get blown out... They might have a slightly different thought process next year. Especially with so many people already calling them out this year.

Saul Good
12-08-2014, 10:52 PM
UCF and/or USF to open up the Florida recruiting pipelines; also to justify WVU's East coast geography.

What better way to justify West Virginia's geography than by adding schools 1,000 miles away...?

Eleazar
12-08-2014, 11:12 PM

"open up the Florida recruiting pipelines" :drool:

GloucesterChief
12-08-2014, 11:23 PM
"open up the Florida recruiting pipelines" :drool:

I am sure top flight recruits would love to go to Manhattan, KS when they have their choice of Florida, FSU, Miami, Georgia, and Alabama practically on their doorstep. Add in the tier 2 programs like GT, Miss St, Auburn, and Ole Miss being not that far away either and Kansas is a hard sell.

RustShack
12-08-2014, 11:57 PM
Iowa State already gets a decent amount of Florida recruits.

WilliamTheIrish
12-09-2014, 08:52 AM
What's the payout for the playoffs? Is it still 1/2 to a participant and the other half split by the entire league?

I'll take the money the teams are making now vs adding anybody.

Bambi
12-09-2014, 09:03 AM
Mike DeArmond weighs in:

That the Big 12 Conference continues a recent tradition of not being able to get out of its own way, and to make short-sighted decisions that may ultimately doom that league to falling apart.

When Colorado, Nebraska, Texas A&M and Missouri left, the Big 12 (which is really just a 10-team league with the additions of West Virginia and TCU on board) chose to keep high its payments to each member of the conference. Fine for the short term, but not for the long term or even, as has been shown this week, for the present term.

Without the requisite 12 teams to have divisions, and thereby to stage a league championship game, the Big 12 gave the selection committee one less game - read victory - to compare it to the champions of the SEC, the Pac 12 and the Big 10. That seemed to make a difference in the selection of Ohio State, which allegedly trailed TCU going into the final Selection Sunday.

That seems millions of dollars wise considering the eight oldest Big 12 schools got $23 million each in league payouts last year (TCU and West Virginia received only $14 million). But with the Big 12's exclusion from the football final four, that's an extra $6 million of foolish loss, and more when you consider the probable extra endorsement and alumni payments that would have come to a school making the gang of four.

Big 12 commissioner Bob Bowlsby has said the Big 12 might ask for special permission to have divisions with only 10 teams, but no member of the SEC, the Big 10, the ACC or the Pac 12 is likely to vote for that. Why help out the competition? College athletics is NOT a collegial world, no matter what you may have heard.

What the Big 12 could do is decide to force its members to schedule non conference teams with a heartbeat. Baylor ranked last in major college football with a non-conference schedule of SMU, Northwestern State and Buffalo. That was an albatross the Bears could not shake when being compared to Ohio State. And because Baylor beat TCU, the Frogs wound up carrying that weight as well in any comparison to the Buckeyes. Hey, you guys lost only one, but it was to a team that padded up on patsies!

Hey Baylor, better start buying out those games in 2015 versus SMU, Lamar and Rice.

Because it allowed Texas, and in a smaller way Oklahoma, to dictate league policy in the Big 12 to the detriment of everybody else, Colorado, Nebraska, Missouri and Texas A&M bolted. That was one mistake. The bigger one was replacing only half of the departing teams in the double wave of expansion that rocked the college athletic world.

Now, there simply are not any viable candidates to be added to restore the Big 12's former luster. Cincinnati and BYU? Okay, not bad. But you're not going to make many headlines with those additions. Memphis? As Kansas found out, explansion is about football, not basketball. Houston? Rice? Utep? SMU? Hey, they could officially call it the Big Texas, which is pretty much what the Big 12 became anyway.

Or, the Big 12 could cross its fingers and toes, its legs, its arms and its eyes, and hope that Texas or Oklahoma don't get fed up and jump to either the SEC or the Pac 12 and thereby erase the Big 12 from all but memory.

MU fans "journalists" still trying to take shots at Kansas.

Good god man, let it go...

You're mediocre in another league, enjoy it.

cmh6476
12-09-2014, 10:23 AM
Duke
Alabama
UCLA
Ohio State

alnorth
12-09-2014, 10:48 AM

The Big 12 is going to ask for a waiver to that rule (ie able to play CCG with 10 teams and without 2 divisions), and they'll probably get it.

Saul Good
12-09-2014, 10:48 AM
The Big 12 is going to ask for a waiver to that rule (ie able to play CCG with 10 teams and without 2 divisions), and they'll probably get it.

What makes you think they will get it?

alnorth
12-09-2014, 10:51 AM

The co-champion thing is not the problem. Briles (coach for Baylor) is an idiot.

The committee made it quite clear what the issue was: the other teams all played 13 games, and that apparently mattered a lot. They accepted that both teams were champions, so they compared champions who played 12 games to champions who played 13.

alnorth
12-09-2014, 10:52 AM
What makes you think they will get it?

There is really no good reason why they wouldn't. I've seen a couple writers even go so far as call it an "uncontroversial request"

edit: the ACC has also petitioned to deregulate the championship game along with the Big 12. In the ACC's case, they want their top 2 teams to play regardless of division.

Saul Good
12-09-2014, 11:00 AM
There is really no good reason why they wouldn't. I've seen a couple writers even go so far as call it an "uncontroversial request"

edit: the ACC has also petitioned to deregulate the championship game along with the Big 12. In the ACC's case, they want their top 2 teams to play regardless of division.

Why would the B1G, PAC, and SEC agree to it?

alnorth
12-09-2014, 11:04 AM

First of all this does not fall under the new P5 autonomy structure, so they don't need approval from another P5 conference. Second of all, there is no reason why they wouldn't.

Eleazar
12-09-2014, 11:08 AM

Why indeed would they, as I said earlier, would they consent to giving the Big 12 a handicapped space - which would almost certainly cost them a spot down the road?

Mr. Laz
12-09-2014, 11:14 AM
No Big 12 championship game is just the latest excuse for the 'bowl committee' to select teams they want for the games they want.

cmh6476
12-09-2014, 11:17 AM
It would have been funny and more fitting if MU was still in the Big 12, and they got snubbed instead of TCU or Baylor.

KChiefs1
12-09-2014, 11:21 AM
It would have been funny and more fitting if MU was still in the Big 12, and they got snubbed instead of TCU or Baylor.

We are in the SEC now where we are appreciated.

Cotton last year & Citrus this year.

WilliamTheIrish
12-09-2014, 11:24 AM

I'm trying to remember who participated in those bowls last year.

WilliamTheIrish
12-09-2014, 11:25 AM

Who says they have to agree to it?

WilliamTheIrish
12-09-2014, 11:26 AM
We are in the SEC now where we are appreciated. as anonymous and crying about SEC bias in the CCG as we did in the Big XII

The fix is in.

cmh6476
12-09-2014, 11:37 AM

Orange in 2008 (Scoreboard!@#!#)

mikeyis4dcats.
12-09-2014, 11:37 AM

agreed, it was a convenient excuse for the snub they wanted to do anyway.

NO ONE ever didn't invite a Big10 team to a BCS game when they didn't have a CCG. But now the Big 12 is a pariah because we don't have one. :doh!:

Saul Good
12-09-2014, 11:40 AM

NO ONE ever didn't invite a Big10 team to a BCS game when they didn't have a CCG. But now the Big 12 is a pariah because we don't have one. :doh!:

Why do you think that is? I think you can figure it out.

mikeyis4dcats.
12-09-2014, 11:40 AM

how did the Big 12 get an extra week off?

mikeyis4dcats.
12-09-2014, 11:41 AM

The committee said months ago it DIDN'T matter. Then it did.

Saul Good
12-09-2014, 11:44 AM
how did the Big 12 get an extra week off?

Really? Your season started at the same time as every other conference, but it ended a week later. You didn't play any more games than the other conferences, so there must have been an extra week off in there somewhere, right?

mikeyis4dcats.
12-09-2014, 11:47 AM
Really? Your season started at the same time as every other conference, but it ended a week later. You didn't play any more games than the other conferences, so there must have been an extra week off in there somewhere, right?

how many bye weeks did Mizzou have this year?
how many bye weeks did KSU have this year?

Saul Good
12-09-2014, 11:52 AM
how many bye weeks did Mizzou have this year?
how many bye weeks did KSU have this year?

Bambi
12-09-2014, 11:57 AM

Appreciated punching bag.

http://l2.yimg.com/bt/api/res/1.2/Rz5eyy2WSm7nuHz4qySIlw--/YXBwaWQ9eW5ld3M7cT04NTt3PTYzMA--/http://l.yimg.com/os/publish-images/sports/2014-12-06/e4f7d0d0-7d96-11e4-88c1-b3f941092335_LaneTD.jpg

mikeyis4dcats.
12-09-2014, 12:03 PM

you're poor at math and reasoning

KSU played 2 thursday night games, giving us 4 free saturdays, but 2 byes.
KU had 2 byes (including last weekend)
TCU has 2 byes....

get the gist?

Saul Good
12-09-2014, 12:07 PM
you're poor at math and reasoning

KSU played 2 thursday night games, giving us 4 free saturdays, but 2 byes.
KU had 2 byes (including last weekend)
TCU has 2 byes....

get the gist?

You're joking, right? Please tell me you're joking.

mikeyis4dcats.
12-09-2014, 12:10 PM
You're joking, right? Please tell me you're joking.

you think playing on Thursday means a team has a bye?

Saul Good
12-09-2014, 12:15 PM
you think playing on Thursday means a team has a bye?

No

I think playing 12 games in 15 weeks means you had 3 bye weeks.

mikeyis4dcats.
12-09-2014, 12:15 PM
ah, maybe I ****ed up. I guess KU started a week later than everyone else. didn't notice that when I started my argument. LOL

ll these Thursday games fuck everything up.

Saul Good
12-09-2014, 12:16 PM
Bye 1: before Auburn
Bye 2: before Oklahoma
Bye 3: before West Virginia

Saul Good
12-09-2014, 12:17 PM
ah, maybe I ****ed up. I guess KU started a week later than everyone else. didn't notice that when I started my argument. LOL

ll these Thursday games fuck everything up.

Thank God. I didn't think you were dumb. Glad I was right.

RustShack
12-09-2014, 12:42 PM
I don't see why the Big12 would get that waiver when the B1G never could(if they even tried I guess?)

But you would think the other conferences would want us to stay at 10 and continue to beat on each other instead of having a few more free wins like all the other conferences.

Saul Good
12-09-2014, 02:23 PM
I don't see why the Big12 would get that waiver when the B1G never could(if they even tried I guess?)

But you would think the other conferences would want us to stay at 10 and continue to beat on each other instead of having a few more free wins like all the other conferences.

They aren't really free wins for the Big 12 considering the fact that you have the worst OOC winning percentage of any major conference, but I understand your point. Wouldn't want Baylor to play SMU, The Incarnate Word, Lamar, and La Petite in the OOC and still get Memphis, Cincy, Kansas, Texas Tech, and Kansas in conference. Nine free wins would be a pretty nice head start.

BWillie
12-09-2014, 02:27 PM
@ch000ch: me: i mean seriously guys, what idiot gets killed by an astroid
crowd: [laughing]
dinosaurs in crowd: wow **** this guy

Holy shit who is that dude...his tweets are all hilarious

Eleazar
12-09-2014, 02:32 PM
Wouldn't want Baylor to play SMU, The Incarnate Word, Lamar, and La Petite in the OOC and still get Memphis, Cincy, Kansas, Texas Tech, and Kansas in conference. Nine free wins would be a pretty nice head start.

Baylor will sleep better at night knowing that if the team plane crashes and they have to play with walk-ons they'd still be able to get bowl eligible.

Mr_Tomahawk
12-09-2014, 03:22 PM
Holy shit who is that dude...his tweets are all hilarious

LOL I know...

I could not stop laughing to myself after reading the dinosaur one. I had nowhere to post it, and no reason to post it in this thread other than the fact that I hoped it would make someone laugh.

Bambi
12-09-2014, 10:01 PM
well I know who I want...

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>I found another huge hoop fan. <a href="https://twitter.com/NickLachey">@NickLachey</a> is hoping Cincy someday is in the Big 12: <a href="http://t.co/49UghNf2fe">pic.twitter.com/49UghNf2fe</a></p>&mdash; Andy Katz (@ESPNAndyKatz) <a href="https://twitter.com/ESPNAndyKatz/status/542528346190786560">December 10, 2014</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Bowser
12-09-2014, 10:11 PM
What Nick Lachey wants, NICK LACHEY GETS

Reerun_KC
12-09-2014, 10:14 PM
BYU Boise Cincy and Louisville?

Make it happen little special 10.

12-10-2014, 12:35 AM
They should have brought in Memphis and Louisville. Thanks Mr. Self for helping to kill that jackass. God forbid you have competition.

Valiant
12-10-2014, 12:55 AM

There was what 3 games and six teams then?? Now the top four get in..

Not comparable.. The B12 better hopes they do not lose most of their bowl games this year or they will get the same treatment next year.. Well as long as it is not one of their higher profile teams..

But don't worry, eventually we will get a 6 and 8 game playoff..

Mr_Tomahawk
12-26-2014, 08:30 PM
UCF on now against NC State...

Chiefspants
12-26-2014, 09:15 PM
They should have brought in Memphis and Louisville. Thanks Mr. Self for helping to kill that jackass. God forbid you have competition.

Was that an insider report on GoEMAW?

Mr_Tomahawk
12-26-2014, 10:26 PM
This UCF QB is complete shit.

KChiefs1
05-03-2022, 12:17 PM
https://www.actionnetwork.com/ncaaf/cincinnati-houston-ucf-negotiating-settlement-to-join-big-12-2023

Cincinnati, Houston and UCF are negotiating a settlement in the “$17 million to $20 million range,” which would allow the schools to exit the American Athletic Conference early and officially join the Big 12 on July 1, 2023, sources told Action Network.

The completion of that deal would then allow the six Conference USA schools — Charlotte, FAU, North Texas, Rice, UAB and UTSA — to join the AAC on July 1, 2023.

AAC by-laws require departing schools to provide 27 months’ notice and pay a $10 million exit fee. Without the settlement, the schools may not leave until July 1, 2024.

BYU, an independent, will officially join the Big 12 next season.

American commissioner Mike Aresco initially sought $35 million from each school to leave early for the Big 12, sources said. In 2019, UConn paid only $17 million to leave the AAC early, despite providing only 12 months’ notice.

Multiple sources said they are “fully confident” that a settlement will be reached this month by UC, UH, UCF and the AAC.

The addition of BYU, Cincinnati, Houston and UCF will give the Big 12 14 members next season, including Oklahoma and Texas, which will be leaving the Big 12 for the SEC in 2025 — unless they negotiate an early exit.

How Does Cincinnati, Houston & UCF’s Settlement Impact Conference USA?

The UC, UH and UCF deal is imperative for the six schools moving from C-USA to the AAC because they must provide 14 months’ notice before leaving.

That 14-month deadline was two days ago on Sunday, but the schools have requested and received a one-month extension from the league to the deadline before providing notice on their intention to leave, sources said.

The C-USA schools moving to the American must forego two years of conference revenue to the league, sources said. That amount could range from $1.5 million to $3 million per school, depending on whether College Football Playoff and NCAA basketball tournament revenue is ultimately determined as revenue provided by the league. The exact buyout remains undecided, sources said.

Besides those six schools leaving to the American, Conference USA members Marshall, Old Dominion and Southern Miss, along with FCS member James Madison, will begin play in the Sun Belt this season. The C-USA schools negotiated a buyout with the league in the “neighborhood of $1.75 million” in addition to forfeiting one year of conference revenue, sources said.

To combat its losses, Conference USA, in turn, is adding Liberty, Jacksonville State, New Mexico State and Sam Houston State to its league in 2023.

C-USA also considered adding Tarleton State and Eastern Kentucky. In March, at the conference basketball tournament, C-USA presidents heard formal presentations from both schools, but the league decided not to add either at this time, sources said.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KChiefs1
05-24-2022, 11:17 AM
https://www.tennessean.com/story/sports/college/SEC/2022/05/23/sec-football-playoff-2022-meetings/9896306002/

The SEC is considering an intraconference playoff in response to the uncertain future of the College Football Playoff and the conference's impending expansion to 16 teams, ESPN's Pete Thamel reported Monday.

SEC Commissioner Greg Sankey told ESPN that many options would be considered at the league's spring meetings next week as the conference evaluates the CFP's future after the 2025 season. Talks about a CFP expansion to 12 teams were started last year but fell apart after support eroded from other conferences.

"We need to engage in blue-sky thinking, which is you detach from reality. What are the full range of possibilities?" Sankey said to ESPN, noting that postseason changes are not imminent.

Florida athletics director Scott Stricklin told ESPN that schools will "absolutely" consider an all-SEC playoff.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20220524/bcd02b8765a7f25022dee555da818c45.jpg

KChiefs1
05-24-2022, 11:22 AM
https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/33968033/could-sec-stage-own-college-football-playoff-all-table-spring-meetings

Pete Thamel

With all respect to the rapt attention that will be paid to the verbal donnybrook between Alabama's Nick Saban and Texas A&M's Jimbo Fisher, there are more pressing matters that will unfold when SEC officials meet in Destin, Fla., for their annual meetings next week.

With the SEC poised to expand to 16 teams when Oklahoma and Texas join the league in 2025, the way the league plots its future may also reverberate deeply through the future of college football and the entire collegiate landscape.

Sounds dramatic, right? Well, the SEC has delivered plenty of drama in the last calendar year -- on and off the field. And the way the SEC constructs its future will be felt by all leagues, as any SEC scheduling decision must take into consideration what the College Football Playoff will look like. And that's where things get interesting, as no one knows what that will look like after 2025.

One variable that shouldn't be underestimated is that SEC commissioner Greg Sankey is still mad about the way the College Football Playoff expansion talks collapsed earlier this year. He's been openly vocal about his displeasure, and that's going to guide league decision making. There's been a general erosion of trust on the collegiate commissioner landscape since the chaotic COVID-19-addled summer of 2020.

"Whatever collegiality existed among those five commissioners appears to be gone," said a veteran collegiate official. "Sankey's in such a catbird seat right now."

The notion of the playoff expanding to 12 teams during the current contract was officially dashed in February, meaning a four-team playoff through the 2025 season. From there, uncertainty has increased about formats.

One idea certain to be discussed by SEC officials in Destin is the notion of the SEC creating, running and profiting from its own intra-SEC postseason. The most obvious model is an eight-team one, but there are others that will be discussed.

SEC commissioner Greg Sankey stressed that no seismic change is imminent. But he did mention that an SEC-only playoff, in a variety of forms, was among the nearly 40 different models that SEC officials discussed at their fall meetings.

"As we think as a conference," he told ESPN on Monday, "it's vitally important we think about the range of possibilities."

Florida athletic director Scott Stricklin echoed that notion to ESPN: "We have an incredibly strong league, one that will be even stronger once Oklahoma and Texas join. The focus should be on how we as a league use that strength to further position the SEC as we face new realities. Commissioner Sankey has encouraged our athletic directors to think creatively, and an SEC-only playoff is a different idea that we should absolutely consider an option."

What would that look like? We'll explore more later. But could we see an eight-team tournament that eventually faces the winner of some other group -- The Alliance? The Big Ten? The rest of the leagues playing in a different postseason? Or, perhaps they all get mad at the SEC and don't play their winner. We're in a world of hypotheticals on hypotheticals.

"We need to engage in blue-sky thinking, which is you detach from reality," Sankey told ESPN. "What are the full range of possibilities?"

Sankey is calculating. And he's made abundantly clear he wasn't pleased there was a lot of time, sweat equity and outreach to other leagues that was wasted when talks of expanding the playoff to 12 collapsed.

In Sankey's view, there was significant sacrifice that may not come around the next time there's talks. The SEC had two teams face off for the CFP championship last year and has won 12 of the last 16 national titles. The SEC's five different title-winning programs over that span -- Alabama, Auburn, LSU, Florida and Georgia -- are more than the rest of the sport's other three winners: Clemson (2), Florida State and Ohio State. It's not lost on Sankey where the leverage lies.

Right now, everything is on the table for the SEC. And it's a cloudy picture with no finite postseason future.

"Those unknowns are on our mind as we think about decision making down the road," Sankey said. "This is a fully dynamic environment. ... It's hard to understand where things will end up if you wait for this to play out.

"We wanted to be good be good collaborators. We think we gave up a lot ... what was viewed as a balanced approach given the up-front demands eventually feel apart. We also have the responsibility to think broadly about different possibilities. The SEC will continue to do so."

Here's what to look for in the SEC meetings next week and beyond:

The SEC scheduling model, which is expected to be heavily discussed in Destin and decided in the upcoming months, offers a window in the future of the sport. Prime among the topics will be how many league games the SEC teams play. (They are currently at eight, which has caused much griping from other leagues.)

Future scheduling formats are generally the type of wonky topic that fills beat reporters' notebooks during spring meetings. But this year, for the SEC and everyone else, there appears to be more at stake.

Oklahoma and Texas join the league in the final year of the current four-team playoff format, as the next CFP format -- whatever that will look like -- begins in 2026. And whatever the SEC decides is potentially tricky, when the size of the playoff is currently unknown past the 2025 season.

Sankey told ESPN that for now, "we'll be focused on more traditional scheduling models" as there needs to be some decisions made in the short term.

Sankey has made it clear that SEC teams seeing each other is the priority. "We have to put teams through campus with greater frequency," he said. "Once every 12 years is not a wise approach."

There are two favored scheduling models that are most likely for the SEC:

1 and 7: If the SEC sticks with eight league games, this model would be best for the overall exposure and variety of league games, which Sankey values. (More Texas vs. Alabama and less of annual Georgia vs. Kentucky matchups.) Teams would get one rivalry game that's played every year -- think Auburn and Alabama or Oklahoma and Texas -- and then rotate through the other seven. The eight-game schedule would be better suited to the current four-team playoff system, as it allows for the customary cushy SEC non-league game late in the season. When there's a four-team playoff, there's little margin for error, and that could bring hesitation to play more league games and risk missing out on a CFP spot.

3 and 6: If the SEC goes to a nine-game league scheduling format, this is the favored potential model. This involves each program having three teams that it plays every season. For example, it's thought that Georgia would play Auburn, Florida and South Carolina. It's not as restrictive and repetitive as pods and would still keep new programs rotating through SEC stadiums so it feels more like a league. (Georgia and Texas A&M have played just once, for example, since A&M joined the league in 2012.) The nine games would be better for the league and gladly embraced by TV partners, but it would be difficult if the College Football Playoff field remains narrow. (Saban has been vocal about wanting nine league games.)

There will be discussions about both pods and divisions, but those don't appear to have much traction as the other two models right now.

What could the SEC starting its own postseason look like?

This idea is in such infancy stages that no one really knows. But the scope of how it would impact the league, the bowl system and sport is significant. The only certainty is that it would likely generate a lot of television interest, as the inventory would be coveted.

How could an eight-team SEC-only postseason work? This is just spitballing, but basically when the season ends, there'd be an eight-team, seven-game format that would unfold over the span of about a month. There was also discussion this fall about a dynamic scheduling model that left a week or weeks open at the end of the season to play games to build toward the playoff.

Perhaps there's four divisions and each one has a winner. And then they face four wildcards? (Again, part of the reason this macro thinking is happening is because the league structure will inherently be designed around a postseason model.)

Another factor here if the SEC doubles down on itself is that the league could potentially play up to 10 conference games. That would significantly expand television inventory, appeal to the league's parochial pride and issue a blistering rebuttal to the CFP talks dissolving.

There'd have to be significant changes. The intra-SEC playoff could essentially move the SEC title game to the New Year's Day neighborhood. The weekend where the league typically plays the SEC title game -- Dec. 3 this year -- would host four games. Perhaps there's a week off before the next set?

What could it look like? From the 2021 SEC standings, the SEC Playoff could look like this. (Obviously, there likely wouldn't be East and West if this is ever created, but this is the easiest hypothetical.)

1 East
Georgia vs.
4 West
Mississippi State

2W
Ole Miss vs.
3E
Tennessee

1W
Alabama vs.
4E
Missouri

2E
Kentucky vs.
3W
Arkansas

With a 12-game regular season schedule, that would mean the teams facing off in the SEC title game would play 15 regular season games. If they played another league for the national title, that would mean 16 games. Alabama and Georgia both played 15 games this season.

If this allowed the SEC to both expand the amount of league games and create a new postseason, it would certainly be attractive to television. (ESPN has the league's rights exclusively for 10 years starting in 2024.)

It would be the ultimate gauntlet toss to the rest of the sport after Sankey felt burned by the three new commissioners who ultimately formed The Alliance and played a role in stalling the College Football Playoff expansion talks.

To stress, this is just an idea that will be discussed. But the possibilities and ripples are relentlessly interesting.

What would it all mean?

From the Supreme Court ruling in the Alston case that empowered the conferences to the widening financial gap between the SEC and Big Ten and the rest of the leagues, there are significant pressure points emerging.

Talk to enough smart people around the college sports landscape, and few think that in five years it will look similar to how it does now. The ACC and Pac-12 being so far behind financially is going to apply significant pressure on their brand-name programs like Clemson and USC. The ACC has a grant of rights that would present significant legal challenges to anyone attempting to leave before 2036. The Pac-12's contract and grant of rights are up after just two more football seasons.

While the Big Ten joined The Alliance to help calm the landscape, it will be interesting to see how long that lasts. Will pressure increase on the Big Ten to add members and attempt to keep up with the SEC? Could the SEC's next postseason exploration include more realignment ploys? Again, the Supreme Court has dictated that leagues can forge their own paths, accentuating the lack of leadership for decades from the NCAA. (Sankey was no fan of outgoing NCAA President Mark Emmert. But few were.)

If the SEC did create its own postseason -- or even took significant steps to plot it -- it could expedite the seismic change that market forces are portending. With the Big Ten on the cusp of a historic television deal expected to be announced in the next few months, it's only going to make financial inequities more pronounced to everyone not in the SEC.

It's so difficult to project the near future in college football and college athletics because there's so many potential options -- a breakaway, a football-only scenario, more seismic realignment or some type of structure dictated by Congress or more court rulings.

But the safest guideline for the near future is that the size and scope of the postseason is inevitably going to guide how leagues are structured. And with nothing certain about the future of the College Football Playoff beginning in 2026, the window for creativity has opened.

BWillie
05-24-2022, 02:46 PM
CFB gonna turn into Nascar

MarkDavis'Haircut
05-24-2022, 04:12 PM
SEC would be foolish to do that.

RustShack
05-24-2022, 08:24 PM
If you go to 16 schools, and have pods, it makes sense to have a semi final round to the conference championship. It’s another way to add revenue, and to create more 16 team conferences. It also wouldn’t surprise me if that move makes
The B1G go to 16, 18, or even 20.. depending on what conference they want to poach. More realignment is around the corner, and the Big12 or PAC will
fall into a merger… unless the BIG goes big and raids the ACC who has 10 years in their shitty media rights deal that I’m sure they would love to dissolve and move on(well besides the schools who might be left out making even less).

Eleazar
05-24-2022, 10:31 PM
CFB gonna turn into Nascar

Well it's crazy how dominant the SEC is. 12 of the last 16 national championships - and it's not one dominant program, it's 5 different teams.

Even as a fan of an SEC school I don't think the SEC running everything is good for football or college athletics as a whole. Things were better when there was some balance and competition between the major conferences, but now there are really only 3 or 4 major conferences anyway.

KChiefs1
06-10-2022, 09:25 PM
https://www.sportsbusinessjournal.com/SB-Blogs/Newsletter-Media/2022/06/06.aspx

When all is said and done, the Big Ten is poised to become the first college conference to eclipse the $1 billion mark for media rights annually. Negotiations are expected to continue through this month; a final deal could come in late summer.

The separation from the SEC & B1G is getting wider for the rest.

Prison Bitch
06-10-2022, 10:00 PM
https://www.sportsbusinessjournal.com/SB-Blogs/Newsletter-Media/2022/06/06.aspx

When all is said and done, the Big Ten is poised to become the first college conference to eclipse the $1 billion mark for media rights annually. Negotiations are expected to continue through this month; a final deal could come in late summer.

The separation from the SEC & B1G is getting wider for the rest.

https://static01.nyt.com/images/2022/05/04/multimedia/04ncaam21/04ncaam21-videoSixteenByNine3000.jpg

KChiefs1
06-11-2022, 10:15 AM
https://static01.nyt.com/images/2022/05/04/multimedia/04ncaam21/04ncaam21-videoSixteenByNine3000.jpg

Tainted

lawrenceRaider
06-11-2022, 11:34 AM
Tainted

We weren't talking about what your mom did with the team.

cmh6476
06-11-2022, 01:49 PM
I voted for byu, Cindy, Houston and Central Florida

BWillie
06-11-2022, 02:00 PM
Tainted

Worst recruits ever to win a national title...actually.

KChiefs1
06-12-2022, 01:35 PM
USC leaving the PAC 12?

https://trojanswire.usatoday.com/2022/06/04/would-usc-and-other-pac-12-schools-seriously-consider-leaving-the-conference/

https://www.uscannenbergmedia.com/2021/07/28/pay-for-play-what-conference-realignment-means-for-usc-football/

The SEC has media rights contracts and membership locked in place, with Texas and Oklahoma set to join in 2025. Meanwhile, the Big Ten is wrapping up its media deals right now — deals that depend on knowing the makeup of the conference.
Could something materialize in the next 12-18 months that sets the West Coast quartet on course to leave the Pac-12? Sure. But we are fairly confident that any current chatter is mere speculation.
And keep this in mind: It all starts with USC.
The Bruins aren’t going anywhere without the Trojans — and maybe not even with the Trojans — and the Pacific Northwest schools have little value to the Big Ten or SEC as stand-alone entities.
If you’re the SEC or Big Ten, an expansion to the West Coast only makes economic and competitive sense if the Southern California media market is included in the deal. That means USC.
At the same time, the Pac-12 with USC is a vastly better fit for the Ducks and Huskies than the Big Ten or SEC without USC.
Were those schools to become disconnected from California, the repercussions would be damaging on multiple fronts, not the least of which is the academic affiliation with Stanford, Cal, UCLA and USC.

With Texas and Oklahoma eyeing a move to the SEC, the landscape of college football has begun to shift: The SEC becomes more powerful than it already was, the Big 12 shrinks to just eight teams and the Pac-12 becomes a bit less relevant out on the West Coast. So where does USC, once a football powerhouse, belong in the bigger picture as it looks to climb back to the top?

The Pac-12 has two major problems. The first is that the College Football Playoff committee doesn’t believe the conference is competitive enough to send teams to the playoff. Since the introduction of the CFP and its committee, the Pac-12 has been an afterthought, with only two teams — Oregon in 2015 and Washington in 2017 — landing a playoff berth in its seven seasons. Because of its weaker competition, a Pac-12 team almost has to go undefeated in order to earn a top four seed.

The second problem is that national interest in the Pac-12 is low compared to the SEC and the Big 10. Around three quarters of the U.S. population lives in the Eastern and Central time zones, meaning that a large chunk of fans aren’t staying awake to watch a game that kicks off at 7 p.m. PT; a USC game in the Pac-12 Network’s nighttime slot won’t end until 1 a.m. in New York. This means less television revenue.

RustShack
06-12-2022, 04:17 PM
Umm your quote said the Big12 is shrinking to 8 schools? It’s actually growing back to 12.

KChiefs1
06-18-2022, 11:28 PM
https://www.stltoday.com/sports/college/mizzou/matter-big-12-survived-another-wave-of-realignment-but-can-it-last/

Matter: Big 12 survived another wave of realignment, but can it last?
By
Dave Matter

College sports' favorite punchline of a conference acted swiftly in adding BYU, Cincinnati, Houston and UCF when the SEC hijacked valuable assets Oklahoma, Texas.

Here’s something you don’t read every day:

Well done, Big 12 Conference!

As we come up on July 1, the 10-year anniversary of Missouri’s first day in the Southeastern Conference, this summer also marks a decade’s worth of countless Big 12 obituaries written to memorialize the “dying” league as four members fled for greener and more secure pastures.

But here we are in 2022, and after another wave of realignment, the Big 12 still is standing — or at least some fairly recognizable version.

Just about a year ago, the SEC hijacked the Big 12’s two most valuable assets — Oklahoma and Texas — to eventually join the league and left behind a collection of perfectly good but hardly elite athletics programs across a 1,500-mile swath from Texas Tech to West Virginia. The remaining schools could have thrown a pity party. They could have split apart and scurried off to other leagues.

Instead, back in September, the Big 12 leftovers called a tried and true play from the conference realignment playbook:

They hijacked another conference.

This time, after years of flat-footed reactionary moves, the Big 12 was decisive and aggressive.

Last week, Central Florida, Cincinnati and Houston announced they will leave the American Athletic Conference for the Big 12 on July 1, 2023, when they will join fellow new member Brigham Young for competition in the expanded conference that fall. That will put the Big 12 at 14 schools for one, maybe two years depending on how soon Oklahoma and Texas can bolt for the SEC. That’s sure to make for a temporarily awkward arrangement.

Then again, in college sports, what isn’t temporary and awkward these days? Between realignment, the transfer portal and ever-changing name, image and likeness rules, the entire industry is a billion-dollar house of cards.

Leverage play?

But for once in what seems like forever, the Big 12 has leverage over the college sports world:

The conference has every incentive to hold Oklahoma and Texas captive for the exit fees that reportedly exceed $70 million for each school. The Austin (Texas) American-Statesman recently reported that 2024 is “a more realistic target date” for OU and Texas to join the SEC, presumably at a reduced ransom. Either way, the outgoing Sooners and Longhorns will spend at least one year with the new Big 12 members before trading blows with the Alabamas, Georgias and Floridas of the SEC.

Good luck, fellas.

Once OU and Texas are sipping sweet tea and navigating through the SEC kudzu, what to make of the new Big 12 once it’s actually back to 12 members?

The conference will lack curb appeal without the traditional powers from Norman and Austin, but from a football perspective, there’s still quality meat on the carcass: Dave Aranda won the Big 12 title in his second year at Baylor, going 12-2 last year, including a clean sweep of future and current SEC teams: OU, Texas and 10-win Ole Miss. Oklahoma State will stay relevant until Mike Gundy hangs up his holsters. The Cowboys have seven 10-win seasons over the past 12 years. Iowa State, Texas Christian, West Virginia, BYU, Cincinnati and Central Florida each have spent at least one week in the top 10 of the AP Top 25 since 2017.

Cincinnati is the heavyweight among the newcomers. The Bearcats are coming off their first College Football Playoff appearance and have managed to keep coach Luke Fickell away from Power Five suitors. It’s only June, but UC has the nation’s No 3-ranked recruiting class for 2023, bolstered by four four-star pledges.

Can Cincinnati graduate from Group of Five superpower to Power Five contender?

“We know we will have to step up in certain areas, and we’re starting to build that out in three-, five- and seven-year time frames,” Bearcats AD John Cunningham recently said. “Our goal is to compete on Day One, and that’s what we keep talking about in the campaign we launched. We will have to step up our fundraising, facilities and the indoor performance center we’re also building. It makes us look at what our coaches’ salaries are and that what we’re offering our student-athletes is on par with the Power Five.”

Other sports:

On the men’s basketball front, the Big 12 is adding a perennial Final Four contender in Houston and quality programs in Cincinnati and BYU. Don’t expect a major drop-off on the hardwood when OU and Texas depart.

For all the criticism the Big 12 has absorbed over the years — most of it well deserved when Colorado, Nebraska, Mizzou and Texas A&M scrammed when the league couldn’t save itself from itself — the Big 12 is coming off a sensational year outside of football, capturing eight NCAA team championships in men’s basketball (Kansas), softball (Oklahoma), gymnastics (Oklahoma), equestrian (Oklahoma State), men’s golf (Texas), men’s indoor track (Texas), rowing (Texas) and women’s tennis (Texas).

Texas and Oklahoma State joined OU in the Women’s College World Series. Oklahoma and Texas are playing in the College World Series.

(Remind me again why OU and Texas are in such a hurry to leave a conference they dominate for the SEC, where they’ll make more money but face stiffer competition. Just kidding. Of course, it’s the money.)

The Sooners and Horns will take their hardware down south in due time, but before then two pivotal decisions will ultimately shape the Big 12’s fitness for survival.

One, its current TV contact with Fox and ESPN expires in 2025. The Big 12’s inventory won’t be nearly as valuable without Oklahoma and Texas for its next media rights deal, potentially costing the rest of the league much-needed exposure and revenue. The league must squeeze the most out of its TV partners to stay competitive.

Two, the Big 12 needs to hire a bold, savvy commissioner to replace Bob Bowlsby, who’s stepping down this year. Bowlsby was hoodwinked when OU and Texas announced plans to leave the Big 12, but overall, he’s delivered much-needed stability and backbone in the wake of the Dan Beebe years.

For now, the Big 12, college sports’ favorite punching bag for the last decade, marches on with new members on the way, old members soon to leave and, like the rest of college sports, an uncertain future.

KChiefs1
06-30-2022, 12:55 PM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20220630/e8b2c87a1119b1ecc54ee7c70aa0f5bc.jpg

Mizzou_8541
06-30-2022, 04:36 PM
Lol. The Big 12 is irrelevant. I feel bad for Iowa State, though I know they will land in their feet as the only university anyone wants of these leftovers.

Kiimo
06-30-2022, 04:40 PM
Iowa State hahaha

Buehler445
06-30-2022, 04:44 PM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20220630/e8b2c87a1119b1ecc54ee7c70aa0f5bc.jpg

Where the fuck are THEY going to go? Start their own league?

Coach
06-30-2022, 04:59 PM
Lol. The Big 12 is irrelevant. I feel bad for Iowa State, though I know they will land in their feet as the only university anyone wants of these leftovers.

https://www.icegif.com/wp-content/uploads/nope-icegif-9.gif

Pac 12 was much worse than Big 12 any way you want to slice it.

And with USC and UCLA heading to the Big1G, welp, that Pac12 conference is DOA.

Mizzou_8541
06-30-2022, 05:22 PM
https://www.icegif.com/wp-content/uploads/nope-icegif-9.gif

Pac 12 was much worse than Big 12 any way you want to slice it.

And with USC and UCLA heading to the Big1G, welp, that Pac12 conference is DOA.

Lol. Being the SEC’s sloppy 4ths is your only chance of staying relevant. Especially looking down the barrel of 5 level one violations.

FloridaMan88
06-30-2022, 05:24 PM
The Big 10 and SEC will be the two power conferences now and all of the remaining teams in the ACC/Big 12/Pac 12 will try to get into one of those two conferences.

BWillie
06-30-2022, 06:02 PM
The Big 10 and SEC will be the two power conferences now and all of the remaining teams in the ACC/Big 12/Pac 12 will try to get into one of those two conferences.

Seems like it'll be four conferences total to me. I dont know how the Pac survives tbh without USC and UCLA.

RustShack
06-30-2022, 06:44 PM
Seems like it'll be four conferences total to me. I dont know how the Pac survives tbh without USC and UCLA.

Especially now that Washington and Oregon have applied for the B1G.

KChiefs1
06-30-2022, 07:35 PM

PAC 12 & Big 12 are in the same boat…both lost their cash cows.

Combine what’s left of both & go on.

RustShack
06-30-2022, 07:37 PM
PAC 12 & Big 12 are in the same boat…both lost their cash cows.

Combine what’s left of both & go on.

Merger is off the table. PAC declined it last year, now they will get raided by the Big12.

Sassy Squatch
06-30-2022, 07:38 PM
Who was the PAC 12 commissioner when Texas and Oklahoma were on the brink of joining? That dude fucked up BIG time.

KChiefs1
06-30-2022, 07:52 PM
Oregon guy on the realignment.
Excellent watch.

On my phone…can’t embed.

https://youtu.be/sAFnLXuBFbE

Would you trade 4 PAC 12 schools for the new Big 12 additions?

https://youtu.be/rzaPDVDO9TQ

Coach
06-30-2022, 09:01 PM
Lol. Being the SEC’s sloppy 4ths is your only chance of staying relevant. Especially looking down the barrel of 5 level one violations.

5 level one violations? I was not aware that K-State was caught cheating. If so, I'm very disappointed that we didn't even win a national championship at that if we were actually cheating and got caught.

By the way, we'll see you in September in Manhattan. Be prepared.

Coach
06-30-2022, 09:04 PM
Who was the PAC 12 commissioner when Texas and Oklahoma were on the brink of joining? That dude fucked up BIG time.

Larry Scott, I think.

lawrenceRaider
07-01-2022, 06:40 AM
Merger is off the table. PAC declined it last year, now they will get raided by the Big12.

That was when they still had their two big draws. Oregon and UW can't carry that conference, and we already took the best remaining teams that were available.

RustShack
07-01-2022, 10:43 AM
That was when they still had their two big draws. Oregon and UW can't carry that conference, and we already took the best remaining teams that were available.

That’s why I said raid the Pac12. You don’t need Washington state or Oregon state.

lawrenceRaider
07-01-2022, 10:50 AM
That’s why I said raid the Pac12. You don’t need Washington state or Oregon state.

Misread what you said. Yeah, Pac12 is dead. Big12 will take at least four teams.

Chief Pagan
07-01-2022, 03:25 PM
Who was the PAC 12 commissioner when Texas and Oklahoma were on the brink of joining? That dude ****ed up BIG time.

Was Texas really ever serious about joining?

Seemed like it was more did the PAC 12 want to join and bow down at the feet of Texas and the PAC 12 declined.

Texas probably would have still joined the SEC, because...

Texas.

Prison Bitch
07-01-2022, 03:35 PM
The PAC farm schools like Ore State and Wash State should join the farm schools in the Big 12 like Gay State Iowa State Tech Okie Light WVU.

Call it the Pig 12

BryanBusby
07-01-2022, 04:21 PM
Misread what you said. Yeah, Pac12 is dead. Big12 will take at least four teams.

Based off of what?

lawrenceRaider
07-01-2022, 04:45 PM
Based off of what?

Just prevailing sentiment right now.

RustShack
07-01-2022, 05:28 PM
Based off of what?

USC and UCLA left for the B1G. It’s known Oregon and Washington are trying to go. They are already at 10 which is the minimum a P5 conference can be at, with two+ looking to leave. If ND joins the B1G, that likely means Oregon, Washington, and Stanford go with them.

So yeah, why does anyone join the PAC at the moment? If those 3 schools also leave they are in a lot worse shape than the current new Big12.

ModSocks
07-01-2022, 05:42 PM
SDSU is about to open their brand new stadium, built on the grave of Qualcomm.

You gotta think that's alluring to the PAC.

BryanBusby
07-01-2022, 11:04 PM
USC and UCLA left for the B1G. It’s known Oregon and Washington are trying to go. They are already at 10 which is the minimum a P5 conference can be at, with two+ looking to leave. If ND joins the B1G, that likely means Oregon, Washington, and Stanford go with them.

So yeah, why does anyone join the PAC at the moment? If those 3 schools also leave they are in a lot worse shape than the current new Big12.
I'm not sure why sentiment is Big12 is a greater scene than the PAC rn.

Oklahoma and Texas leaving is a bigger loss.

Prison Bitch
07-01-2022, 11:46 PM

No it’s the same

But I agree with your general sentiment the PAC is better due to markets. Even if the quality of competition is lower

BWillie
07-02-2022, 05:18 AM
No it’s the same

But I agree with your general sentiment the PAC is better due to markets. Even if the quality of competition is lower

While some of the markets are better, those markets barely care about college sports. They care a little more than east coast big cities but not by much.

lawrenceRaider
07-02-2022, 06:04 AM

Big 12 is much, much more stable at the moment.

PAC12 looks to be imploding. As PB says, if ND joins the B1G, the PAC12 is toast.

RustShack
07-02-2022, 07:01 AM
My buddy who’s an Oregon fan told me ND is expected to make their announcement Tuesday, and that the PAC is done.

TambaBerry
07-02-2022, 09:31 AM
Wait until KU leaves the big 12 and they lose their one last national brand then things will really heat up

POND_OF_RED
07-02-2022, 10:20 AM
Mizzou’s move to the SEC can’t really even be questioned at this point. I can’t imagine how unsettling it must be to have to deal with this conference realignment game of Survivor. Mizzou and Nebraska were obviously very smart to make the moves when they did. The ice is melting and everyone outside of the B1G and SEC are just trying to find some solid land every year now.

Kiimo
07-02-2022, 12:36 PM
We all knew that Missouri's decision to go to the SEC was a sound and wise one.

But fuck you anyway

Bearcat
07-02-2022, 01:24 PM
I haven't slept in 12 fucking years, the imminent danger has been so unsettling! God I wish Kansas was a doormat in basketball as well as football, it would be so much better! LMAOROFL

Dipshits.

Titty Meat
07-02-2022, 02:18 PM
Haha none of the major conferences want KU

Prison Bitch
07-02-2022, 02:37 PM
Mizzou’s move to the SEC can’t really even be questioned at this point. I can’t imagine how unsettling it must be to have to deal with this conference realignment game of Survivor. Mizzou and Nebraska were obviously very smart to make the moves when they did. The ice is melting and everyone outside of the B1G and SEC are just trying to find some solid land every year now.

How many times does it need to be said? Who cares about money or “stability”? Do you turn on your TV and say “wow what stability this program has!” More money has built nicer stadiums in which to lose games in.

The Big 12 schools have nearly all had major achievements since Mizz-Corn left. Even BooClones won a Fiesta Bowl. The teams who left (incl Col and Tex AM) have done nothing.

POND_OF_RED
07-02-2022, 02:44 PM
How many times does it need to be said? Who cares about money or “stability”? Do you turn on your TV and say “wow what stability this program has!” More money has built nicer stadiums in which to lose games in.

The Big 12 schools have nearly all had major achievements since Mizz-Corn left. Even BooClones won a Fiesta Bowl. The teams who left (incl Col and Tex AM) have done nothing.

https://c.tenor.com/qLxoDNubOLUAAAAC/titanic-orchestra.gif

It might not matter to old people like you who won’t be around for another couple decades anyways, but it will be nice to still be in the NCAA when I’m old. Stability is very beneficial in fast changing climates.

Prison Bitch
07-02-2022, 02:46 PM
I’m 46, so I’m planning to be around several more decades.

Kiimo
07-02-2022, 02:46 PM

We'll see. But lol at anyone knowing what the major conferences want at this point

high-five for 46 year olds

Pablo
07-02-2022, 02:56 PM
I'm proud of my work and it's never a bad idea to remind mutts of their role in the sec! sec! sec!

https://i.imgur.com/s2Qt0NU.png

Raiderhater
07-02-2022, 03:13 PM

It might not matter to old people like you who won’t be around for another couple decades anyways, but it will be nice to still be in the NCAA when I’m old. Stability is very beneficial in fast changing climates.

Why? The NCAA has become nothing more than a corrupt joke. I keep hoping that these conference changes will ultimately lead to the conferences ultimately deciding to abandon the NCAA. We’ll see.

RustShack
07-02-2022, 04:20 PM
Don’t get me wrong, I’d love for Iowa State to make B1G/SEC money. But in the grand scheme in the last 10 years Iowa State has made huge strides and has some of the best facilities in the country right now after expanding and upgrading last year, a facility that was built maybe 6-8 years before that.

The Big12 schools will make more than they ever have with their new media deal, and at that point after you’ve made all the upgrades already there’s only so much more you can do. Sure, the B1G/SEC will be able to afford better transportation for their Olympic sports, and can pay more for coaches.. but the Big12 will still make enough money to be more competitive.

If you make 500k a year, or 1 million a year, you’re probably living pretty comfortable at home either way.

Powerhouses change. There will be some schools in the New Big12 who emerge. Hell Nebraska became a powerhouse in the Big8. If we manage to add a few PAC schools like expected, that leaves room for schools to miss other top dogs and rack up wins like the B1G/SEC have been benefiting from.

lawrenceRaider
07-02-2022, 04:30 PM

Moo will always be a sock for the big boys to warm up with before they head to prom.

lawrenceRaider
07-02-2022, 04:32 PM

As long as you like money, and no success, your move has been great!

RealSNR
07-02-2022, 05:52 PM
Everybody gets to join the Big 10 and SEC!

Like, seriously. When does it end? And at what point does the B1G and SEC decide that programs like Rutgers and Mizzou add nothing and make the conferences no money, and they’d much rather have Washington or UCLA or whatever?

Raiderhater
07-02-2022, 06:05 PM
Everybody gets to join the Big 10 and SEC!

Like, seriously. When does it end? And at what point does the B1G and SEC decide that programs like Rutgers and Mizzou add nothing and make the conferences no money, and they’d much rather have Washington or UCLA or whatever?

And there in lies the counter point to my hope of moving on from the NCAA… at some point the smaller programs still get left in the dust.

Ideally, in the aftermath of leaving the NCAA in the dust something else besides two supreme conferences rises from the ashes. Most likely, however, is that it will happen after the the supreme two have run the show for a while.

lewdog
07-02-2022, 07:18 PM

How old is your wife?

Prison Bitch
07-02-2022, 07:30 PM
How old is your wife?

BWillie
07-02-2022, 07:37 PM

How does it feel for your football program to now have both less prestige and success than Iowa? Big 10 baby!

BWillie
07-02-2022, 07:38 PM

How much does she weigh?

Does she hate jews?

lewdog
07-02-2022, 07:40 PM

Not bad. I figured you had a 10 year spread though.

Was it weird being 21 and drinking age, when she was 16?

Coach
07-02-2022, 09:13 PM

Maybe so, but the Big 12 is in a better position/better stability standpoint than the Pac 12. The Pac 12 has problems that don't go away with USC leaving... they get worse. The Big 12 doesn't have those fundamental problems.

Big 12 has better tv ratings, attendance and on the field results. Big 12 programs are financially healthier. Pac 12 has a worst TV deal and their attendance at their stadiums is worse than Big 12. Big 12 is a football orientated conference with passionate fans.

Football is king. Football is 90% of a conference's value in terms of TV. The money in basketball is in the NCAA tournament, and it doesn't quite come close to football.

Anyways, every eyeball is on ND at this moment. What ND decides to do will set off the dominoes.

Prison Bitch
07-03-2022, 10:19 AM
Not bad. I figured you had a 10 year spread though.

Was it weird being 21 and drinking age, when she was 16?

If I had the money or the looks to go 10 younger I’d have done it :D

Prison Bitch
07-03-2022, 10:23 AM
Maybe so, but the Big 12 is in a better position/better stability standpoint than the Pac 12. The Pac 12 has problems that don't go away with USC leaving... they get worse. The Big 12 doesn't have those fundamental problems.

Big 12 has better tv ratings, attendance and on the field results. Big 12 programs are financially healthier. Pac 12 has a worst TV deal and their attendance at their stadiums is worse than Big 12. Big 12 is a football orientated conference with passionate fans.

Football is king. Football is 90% of a conference's value in terms of TV. The money in basketball is in the NCAA tournament, and it doesn't quite come close to football.

Anyways, every eyeball is on ND at this moment. What ND decides to do will set off the dominoes.

The B12 has excellent quality of sports. It’s normally 1 or 2 in hoops and 2-4 in football divisions according to sports rating systems.

But I’m having a hard time wrapping my head around why the PAC wouldn’t absorb 4-6 of us. These are elite institutions, flagships with great brands in a very populous region. The B12 with the exception of Kansas is a collection of afterthoughts in their own states. With low fan base numbers.

Mr_Tomahawk
07-03-2022, 10:44 AM
Boom.

BryanBusby
07-03-2022, 11:57 AM

Stadiums are worse than the Big 12? Eh. Man that's a real stretch.

They can add 2 solid programs and do better in the next round of negotiations and get some quick stability. Could it go sideways and blow up? Certainly, but I wouldn't call the Big12 any more stable than the PAC as of today.

On a side note, if I were the SEC and wanted to expand further with a big splash, I'd go after Ohio State, Penn State, North Carolina and Notre Dame to get to 20. The geography aspect is dead and gone so might as well get some big TV areas and a national brands.

Prison Bitch
07-03-2022, 12:39 PM
Lol at Ohio State leaving

Prison Bitch
07-03-2022, 12:40 PM
Lincoln Riley has been affiliated with 4 diff conferences since November

Pasta Little Brioni
07-03-2022, 12:48 PM
Wait until KU leaves the big 12 and they lose their one last national brand then things will really heat up

ROFL good God dude. You realize how irrelevant ku is right? No one wants them anyway.

KChiefs1
07-03-2022, 01:22 PM
No it’s the same

Markets that could careless about college sports. Moron.

lawrenceRaider
07-03-2022, 01:23 PM
Stadiums are worse than the Big 12? Eh. Man that's a real stretch.

They can add 2 solid programs and do better in the next round of negotiations and get some quick stability. Could it go sideways and blow up? Certainly, but I wouldn't call the Big12 any more stable than the PAC as of today.

On a side note, if I were the SEC and wanted to expand further with a big splash, I'd go after Ohio State, Penn State, North Carolina and Notre Dame to get to 20. The geography aspect is dead and gone so might as well get some big TV areas and a national brands.

Pac12s tv deal sucks, they aren't getting schools from conferences with better TV deals.

Without USC and UCLA, Pac12s next tv deal isn't going to move them up much.

KChiefs1
07-03-2022, 01:24 PM
Mizzou’s move to the SEC can’t really even be questioned at this point.

Mizzou and Nebraska were obviously very smart to make the moves when they did. The ice is melting and everyone outside of the B1G and SEC are just trying to find some solid land every year now.

https://media3.giphy.com/media/fV2maQ4MAyUxrZWHEi/giphy.gif

KChiefs1
07-03-2022, 01:25 PM

It’s hilarious to watch.

Prison Bitch
07-03-2022, 02:03 PM
Pac12s tv deal sucks, they aren't getting schools from conferences with better TV deals.

Where did you read that? I’d like to see the numbers. I don’t believe that is accurate at all.

RustShack
07-03-2022, 02:09 PM
Where did you read that? I’d like to see the numbers. I don’t believe that is accurate at all.

https://www.heartlandcollegesports.com/2021/09/09/new-look-big-12-revenue-reportedly-just-shy-of-current-revenue/

Prison Bitch
07-03-2022, 02:13 PM
So $22M for B12. What’s the tv deal for the new P12?

Coach
07-03-2022, 02:19 PM
The B12 has excellent quality of sports. It’s normally 1 or 2 in hoops and 2-4 in football divisions according to sports rating systems.

But I’m having a hard time wrapping my head around why the PAC wouldn’t absorb 4-6 of us. These are elite institutions, flagships with great brands in a very populous region. The B12 with the exception of Kansas is a collection of afterthoughts in their own states. With low fan base numbers.

The PAC is not in the driver's seat in the negotiating table because of their shitty TV deal they have at the moment. The Pac 12 just lost the LA market with USC and UCLA leaving, and potentially Seattle (if UW leaves), thus they are completely worthless. Their next TV deal is most likely going to be much worse than what they have currently.

Not to mention that the Big 12 got raided earlier, they had more selections to choose from than the Pac 12 does right now. Pac 12 adding in Boise State? Yeah, there's not much value there. UNLV? Maybe, but the pickings are very slim as opposed to where the Big 12 got raided at the time.

It will be the other way around, meaning that the Big 12 might pick off Arizona and Utah (maybe Arizona State and Colorado, but I am iffy on those two).

I do not believe the California schools will consider it, because of political reasons. Additionally, I do not believe that having a CST team playing against a PST team would be beneficial. For example, Oklahoma State football against Stanford football at 7:00PST probably will not bring in many viewers because of the fact that it would be 9:00CST in Stillwater. It's no different than the Royals having to play the west coast teams where quite a few of us were bitching about the late start games.

A 2:30CST-12:30PST or 4:00CST-2:00PST or 6:00CST-4:00PST might be feasible, but that is far and few in between for those slots.

Coach
07-03-2022, 02:22 PM

Dammit, I hate agreeing with a Raider, but this is correct. The Pac12 next TV deal is going to be worthless since they lost their flagships of USC and UCLA, on top of that, there aren't very many viable options (re: schools that has strong value in football) to replenish that conference.

Prison Bitch
07-03-2022, 02:27 PM
Dammit, I hate agreeing with a Raider, but this is correct. The Pac12 next TV deal is going to be worthless since they lost their flagships of USC and UCLA, on top of that, there aren't very many viable options (re: schools that has strong value in football) to replenish that conference.

That’s simply not true.

The departures are damaging to the Pac-12, given the timing. How damaging?

Very, according to longtime Pac-12 columnist John Canzano, who reached the former president of Fox Sports Networks for comment this weekend.

Bob Thompson, the former FOX exec, told Canzano he anticipated the Pac-12 signing a deal that would bring in somewhere in the neighborhood of $500 million a year for the league to distribute amongst its peers. That estimation included USC and UCLA.

Without those two, Thompson estimated the annual number to be closer to $300 million.

https://saturdayoutwest.com/pac-12/losing-usc-ucla-could-cut-pac-12-media-rights-valuation-in-half-per-report/amp/

RustShack
07-03-2022, 02:39 PM
That’s simply not true.

The departures are damaging to the Pac-12, given the timing. How damaging?

Very, according to longtime Pac-12 columnist John Canzano, who reached the former president of Fox Sports Networks for comment this weekend.

Bob Thompson, the former FOX exec, told Canzano he anticipated the Pac-12 signing a deal that would bring in somewhere in the neighborhood of $500 million a year for the league to distribute amongst its peers. That estimation included USC and UCLA.

Without those two, Thompson estimated the annual number to be closer to $300 million.

https://saturdayoutwest.com/pac-12/losing-usc-ucla-could-cut-pac-12-media-rights-valuation-in-half-per-report/amp/

So that’s 30 million per school, and the Big12 is projected 40+ with one major difference, the Big12 is the only conference that’s tier 3 payouts aren’t in the figure. I’m sure that’ll change in the future with Texas leaving though, and tier 3 rights will be shared.

Prison Bitch
07-03-2022, 02:45 PM
You’re conflating tv deal with total distribution. The TV deal is only 22.5M vs the PAC projected at 30M. And the B12 expected to take a 50% haircut when OU-Tex left (Bowlsby even said that publicly) but it was only 20%. Assuming that’s the case for the PAC they’d be looking at something like $36M

Also, T3 was included in the tv deal of 2019. Tex and OU got to keep theirs.

RustShack
07-03-2022, 02:54 PM
You’re conflating tv deal with total distribution. The TV deal is only 22.5M vs the PAC projected at 30M. And the B12 expected to take a 50% haircut when OU-Tex left (Bowlsby even said that publicly) but it was only 20%. Assuming that’s the case for the PAC they’d be looking at something like $36M

Also, T3 was included in the tv deal of 2019. Tex and OU got to keep theirs.

The number you’re referencing was only for tier 1 rights.

GloucesterChief
07-03-2022, 03:22 PM
If UW and Oregon bolt. I could see a merger between the remains of the PAC and Big 12 to form the first super conference. You would use a two division four pod setup:

Pacific Division
West Pod: WSU, Oregon State, Stanford, Cal, Colorado/TT

Mountain Pod: ASU, AZ, Utah, BYU, Colorado/TT

Big Division
Plains Pod: TCU, Baylor, OSU, Kansas, KSU

East Pod: WV, ISU, UCF, Cinci, Houston

8 game conference schedule. 4 games against your pod, one home and one away against the other pod in your division, and a home game and a away game against the two pods in the other division.

So for example a WSU schedule would look like:

Home games: OSU, Colorado/TT, AZ, ISU
Away games: Stanford, Cal, BYU, Baylor

Kiimo
07-03-2022, 03:26 PM
I love how KU is irrelevant and "nobody wants us" and then everyone is going to be furious when we leave the Big 12. It shouldn't matter where we go, nobody cares right?