PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Chiefs’ failure to develop quarterbacks and wide receivers explains current drought

The Franchise
12-12-2014, 04:58 PM
The Chiefs are on the verge of matching an ignominious NFL record that has stood for 64 years.

Not since the stone-age era of the NFL has a team played an entire season without completing a touchdown pass to a wide receiver. The 1950 Pittsburgh Steelers hold that distinction, but that was before offenses spread their receivers across the field. That team attempted just 255 passes in a 6-6 season.

The Chiefs, 7-6 going into Sunday’s game against the Oakland Raiders, last produced a touchdown pass in the regular season on Chase Daniel’s 2-yard toss to Dexter McCluster in the 2013 finale at San Diego.

Since McCluster’s catch, the Chiefs have attempted 405 regular-season passes without a touchdown to their wide receivers. They are the first team to go 13 games in a season without a touchdown catch by a wide receiver since the 1965 Eagles.

“I’ve never seen it,” Chiefs wide receiver Dwayne Bowe said, “but this is football … anything can happen. I try to get them in every chance I get. If I got to hurdle somebody to do it, that’s what I’m going to do. That’s all I can do. Once they come, they’re going to start coming. They just haven’t yet.”

That’s not to say the Chiefs are incapable of scoring touchdowns. Running back Jamaal Charles leads the NFL with 14 touchdowns, including five on receptions; and tight ends Anthony Fasano and Travis Kelce have caught four touchdown passes each.

Also, the Chiefs rank 12th in the NFL with 33 offensive touchdowns and are tied for third in red-zone efficiency with 26 touchdowns in 39 possessions, or 66.7 percent. (Oakland, 2-10, ranks first at 17 for 22, and 77.3 percent, for whatever that’s worth).

“It’s not like the Chiefs don’t have any receivers,” said former Chiefs coach Herm Edwards, now an analyst for ESPN. “It seems to me, more of their passing is inside the numbers. There haven’t been explosive plays, as far as receivers catching the ball and running down the field.

“That’s not their offense. Their offense is dinking and dunking it and move the chains and eventually, Jamaal or Knile Davis makes a play, or Kelce. To me, this offense is driven by Jamal Charles and tight ends.”

Still, in a league predicated on passing, and with the rules geared in favor of quarterbacks and receivers, how can a team not have a single touchdown catch by a wide receiver?

“You can justify low production, but not no production,” said former NFL quarterback Steve Beuerlein, now an analyst for CBS Sports. “You can look at a lot of different receiving groups around the league that aren’t overly stocked at that position, and they’ve still gotten the ball to their people who are supposed to catch the ball and score touchdowns.

“I don’t think it’s the system. You look at Andy Reid’s system in the past, his wide receivers have been very productive. It’s exposing how desperately the Chiefs do need more weapons, and you have to put some of the blame on the quarterback.”

Chiefs quarterback Alex Smith, when not avoiding a pass rush that has led to his being sacked 41 times this season, has thrown 16 touchdown passes. Among full-time starters, only Cincinnati’s Andy Dalton, with 13, and Cleveland’s since-benched Brian Hoyer, with 12, have thrown fewer.

“The quarterback has to find a way to get the ball to those guys,” Beuerlein said, “and get them involved in the offense if you want to be playing meaningful football in December. They’ve got a good running game, they’ve got a tight end. If you can establish those wide receivers somehow, it makes you a much better football team.”

The closest a Chiefs wide receiver has come to catching a touchdown pass was on Nov. 2, when A.J. Jenkins, from the New York Jets’ 11, caught a short pass but stumbled to the turf and was tackled a yard short of the goal line. In the same game, Smith’s pass intended for Bowe in the end zone was deflected at the line of scrimmage and caught by Fasano for a 1-yard touchdown.

“I can’t remember the last time we threw a ball to a receiver who was in the end zone or into the end zone untouched…” said former Chiefs wide receiver Danan Hughes, an analyst for Time Warner Cable SportsChannel.

“I think it’s related to the lack of homegrown quarterbacks. When you don’t raise your own quarterback, normally you’re filling in gaps, filling in potholes with sand throughout the course of time.”

The Chiefs have inducted 40 players into their Hall of Fame since its inception in 1970. Only two are wide receivers — Chris Burford, who caught 391 passes with 55 touchdowns during 1960-67, and Otis Taylor, who caught 410 with 57 touchdowns from 1965-75.

And they’ve inducted just one quarterback — Pro Football Hall of Famer Len Dawson, who led the club to Super Bowl I and a victory in Super Bowl IV. But even Dawson was not homegrown. He was signed by Lamar Hunt’s Dallas Texans in 1962 after five years of riding the bench in the NFL.

By contrast, eight running backs, seven linebackers and even two placekickers adorn the club’s Ring of Honor.

The NFL is a quarterback’s game in which the rules favor passing, and the Chiefs’ inability to develop their own franchise quarterback and game-changing receivers goes a long way in explaining why they have not won a playoff game in 20 years and are stuck in the current rut in their passing game.

The Chiefs have spent nearly 40 years in the wilderness trying to replace Dawson and Taylor.

Since Taylor’s career ended, the Chiefs have drafted some productive receivers, in Henry Marshall, a third-round pick in 1976, and Carlos Carson, a fifth-round pick in 1979. They also signed undrafted Stephone Paige (1983). But none was elite and only Carson was selected to a Pro Bowl.

The Chiefs also whiffed big time with first-round busts Anthony Hancock (1982), Sylvester Morris (2000) and Jon Baldwin (2011), as well as with early-round picks such as third-rounders Lake Dawson and Chris Penn (1994) and second-rounder Kevin Lockett (1997).

Bowe, selected in the first round of the 2007 draft, has lived up to his 23rd-overall selection, producing three 1,000-yard seasons and leading the NFL with 15 touchdowns in 2010, his only Pro Bowl year.

In fact, Bowe, 30, has caught more passes — 520 — than any wide receiver in franchise history. But he has just eight touchdown catches in his last 42 games and none in more than a year, or since Dec. 8, 2013. It’s debatable whether he’ll join Taylor and Burford in the club’s Hall of Fame.

“For a lot of years, the receivers were not going to be used as primary targets,” said Edwards, who was on the Chiefs’ staff from 1990-95 as a scout or coach under Marty Schottenheimer and was head coach when the club drafted Bowe.

“You had Christian Okoye, you had a solid run game for years, and Marty Schottenheimer didn’t draft receivers high. You went through that era when it wasn’t a necessary to get a top-round quarterback or top-round receiver … it wasn’t the nature of Kansas City football.”

The Chiefs traded up in the first round of the 1997 draft and selected a future Hall of Famer in tight end Tony Gonzalez, who turned out to be the second-most prolific pass catcher in NFL history to Jerry Rice. But no tight end has ever led a team to a Super Bowl.

The Chiefs complemented Gonzalez by acquiring or signing veterans from other teams through the years, such as Andre Rison, Derrick Alexander and Eddie Kennison. All had their moments, but except for Rison in 1997, none reminded anyone of Otis Taylor.

The Chiefs’ track record at drafting quarterbacks is even more abysmal. In fact, they haven’t taken a quarterback in the first round since Todd Blackledge was selected seventh overall behind Hall of Famer John Elway and ahead of Hall of Famers Jim Kelly and Dan Marino in the famous draft of 1983.

The Chiefs wasted second-round picks on Mike Elkins (1989) and Matt Blundin (1992), who appeared in a total of three games; a third-round pick on Brodie Croyle (2006), who went 0-10 for Edwards; and a fifth-round pick on Ricky Stanzi (2011), who became a punch line for quarterback ineptitude.

Instead of developing their own, the Chiefs, believing a veteran quarterback was all that separated them from being a Super Bowl contender, spent the past 20-plus years importing veterans from elsewhere, starting with Dave Krieg (1992), Joe Montana (1993), Steve Bono (1995), Elvis Grbac (1997), Trent Green (2001), Matt Cassel (2009) and Smith (2013).

That’s produced two playoff wins, both by Montana in 1993.

“Most of the quarterbacks who had success in Kansas City came from other teams,” Edwards said, “but that happens a lot of places. The Pittsburgh Steelers have Big Ben (Roethlisberger) and before that they had Terry Bradshaw. But after Terry Bradshaw, it took ’em a while to find a guy … The Buffalo Bills had Jim Kelly. Who’s come after Jim Kelly?

“You can go down the line … You can go to the Oakland Raiders. When was the last time they had a guy? They had Rich Gannon, who they got from somewhere else, and before that, it was Jim Plunkett, and he came from somewhere else. Green Bay had Brett Favre and drafts Aaron Rodgers. He sits on the bench for a few years …

“When you think about the Colts, that’s a whole different story. You talk about the horseshoe being lucky. Goodness gracious, you get rid of Peyton Manning, and then you get Andrew Luck. When you draft a guy at quarterback that can take you (to a championship), you’ve got a guy.”

Certainly, the Chiefs were guilty of bad timing in 2013, the year after Luck was the first overall pick in the draft. A year later, when they had the No. 1 pick, there was no quarterback or receiver considered worthy of a first-round pick.

“When you go for a top–round pick at the quarterback position, your normally come back with or have someone who is young at the wide receiver position who can grow up with that quarterback,” Edwards said. “Marvin Harrison and Peyton Manning … young quarterbacks who came into an organization and were successful either had a No. 1 or No. 2 receiver who was drafted within one or two years of their being drafted.”

The 2014 draft was rich with wide receivers, but the Chiefs elected not to take a single one. They selected Dee Ford with the 23rd pick of the first round when Florida State’s Kevin Benjamin was still on the board. Benjamin, selected by Carolina with the 28th pick, has caught 59 passes for 848 yards and nine touchdowns.

Without a second-round pick, the Chiefs took cornerback Phillip Gaines of Rice in the third round, four spots ahead of John Brown of nearby Pittsburg State, who has caught five touchdown passes for the Arizona Cardinals.

Projecting the success of wide receivers from the college game to the NFL is almost as unpredictable as quarterbacks, and the Chiefs, believing in the investments they’d made in their current receivers, including Bowe, who signed a five-year $56 million contract in 2013, Donnie Avery, A.J. Jenkins, Junior Hemingway, Frankie Hammond Jr., and failed Canadian Football League signee Weston Dressler, tried filling other needs in the draft.

“I think that with what we have,” general manager John Dorsey said at the end of the 2014 draft, “we’re going to be very competitive at that position. The players we got here (in the draft), I’m very happy with.”

Barring a trade, the Chiefs will be selecting in the middle of the 2015 draft. It’s uncertain whether touted receivers such as Alabama’s Amari Cooper, Louisville’s DeVante Parker or West Virginia’s Kevin White, will be available to them. But there’s little doubt that acquiring a wide receiver or two will be a top priority.

“Bowe is a solid receiver who can be made better if they can find someone who can take the top off the defense and be that kind of go-to-guy,” Beuerlein said. “They don’t have that wide receiver to scare anybody at this point.

“You’re going to have to invest a high draft choice to get that player they’ve desperately needed for a lot of years.”

Read more here: http://www.kansascity.com/sports/nfl/kansas-city-chiefs/article4451762.html#storylink=cpy

Deberg_1990
12-12-2014, 04:59 PM
Even Thigpen threw Bowe TD passes.

Reid and Smith are doing something wrong.

TribalElder
12-12-2014, 05:00 PM
Alex = Mitch bade?

keg in kc
12-12-2014, 05:02 PM
Quarterbacks. Wide receivers. Offensive linemen. Defensive linemen.

The thing that really hurts with the linemen, especially, is that they keep trying and failing over and over, which makes it that much more difficult to successfully draft and develop players at other positions.

But the failure to even try at quarterback is just inexcusable at this point. Hell, it was inexcusable fifteen years ago.

Eureka
12-12-2014, 05:06 PM
Nothing to worry about. The CAP is in order and that's what really matters.

Sandy Vagina
12-12-2014, 05:06 PM
“Bowe is a solid receiver who can be made better if they can find someone who can take the top off the defense and be that kind of go-to-guy,” Beuerlein said. “They don’t have that wide receiver to scare anybody at this point.

That's all you had to say, mutha*****!

but seriously... Alex needs to at least TRY a little...

Ming the Merciless
12-12-2014, 05:07 PM
Alex = Mitch bade?

nsfw cuss wordss
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/jGCj9StoOTo?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Snapplez
12-12-2014, 05:16 PM
Shocker it has taken people this long to see that this is an issue

Mr. Laz
12-12-2014, 05:24 PM
so pestilence bitching about the QB again......

check

The Franchise
12-12-2014, 05:28 PM

check

Laz bleeding from his vagina and not discussing football? Check.

RealSNR
12-12-2014, 05:31 PM
Can we please stop sucking Kelvin Benjamin's cock?

Just because he's catching all that stuff in Carolina when that's the only thing they have in the passing game and their QB actually has a set of testicles doesn't mean he'd be producing the same here.

In fact, I'd wager that the team would STILL be without a TD pass to a WR if we had drafted Benjamin.

We do this every year with WRs from other teams that we didn't draft. The problems we have now are much deeper than not drafting a WR in the past two seasons.

Namely, coaching and QB.

The Franchise
12-12-2014, 05:32 PM

Just because he's catching all that stuff in Carolina when that's the only thing they have in the passing game and their QB actually has a set of testicles doesn't mean he'd be producing the same here.

In fact, I'd wager that the team would STILL be without a TD pass to a WR if we had drafted Benjamin.

We do this every year with WRs from other teams that we didn't draft.

I wager that Chiefs fans would be screaming that we drafted another Bowe with Benjamin. Doesn't give his all.....all about himself.....etc.

Easy 6
12-12-2014, 05:32 PM
Its gotten sooo old hearing Reid address this... "we're not worried about that, those things will come, the production is coming from other areas right now blab blab blab".

Bull. Shit. Andy... your QB is ****ing it up, plain and simple. Even the dirt-baggiest combination of QB's and receivers over the last 50+ years has been able to score with their receivers on even the very shittiest of teams. I wish he'd just quit dancing around it and call Smith out.

I still stand by past statements about Bowe to the effect of "his drops come at the WORST times, he often lacks concentration, his routes need work"... thats all still true. But he was that same guy back when he was a 1200 yarder with Slapdick McGee. To say that his production right now is mostly his fault is JUNK, we've all seen him wide open time after time after time.

Smith is straight up out of excuses, he is breaking a 50+ year old record for ineptitude... I'd insert a cheesey gif here but it would downplay just how pathetic this situation is.

RealSNR
12-12-2014, 05:35 PM
I wager that Chiefs fans would be screaming that we drafted another Bowe with Benjamin. Doesn't give his all.....all about himself.....etc.

He does remind me a bit of Bowe in that he's the only gig in town this early in his NFL career.

But yeah. You take the stories about him in pre-draft interviews and then combine that with getting Alex Smith'd, and people would be throwing up their hands going, "Christ, it's Jon Baldwin all over again! For fuck's sake, draft a white guy who cares and who will catch the ball!"

stevieray
12-12-2014, 05:38 PM

We do this every year with WRs from other teams that we didn't draft. The problems we have now are much deeper than not drafting a WR in the past two seasons.

Namely, coaching and QB.

Seriously, every time i think about this its.....number nine number nine number nine....or

"same as it ever was"

RunKC
12-12-2014, 05:40 PM
No doubt Alex has been a problem with this. But OL and WR's aren't helping.

Chiefs need to fix the OL and get their own Randall Cobb type of WR along with a young capable QB.

The QB class this year doesn't look very good, so if there isn't a QB worth a damn this year than at least build the other pieces while you're looking.

I will be interested in seeing what Murray does going forward too. Hard to tell if he's just a backup or if Reid really see's this guy taking over in the coming years.

12-12-2014, 05:45 PM
Great. You know what this means. A WR will score a touchdown this week. Remember when we were after the Buffalo record for games without a lead? Yeah, we got a lead that week. LMAO

Then the homers will be happy again. See it isn't alex thats the problem.

The Franchise
Fix that offensive line and get Smith some better WRs....annnnnnnnnnnnnd?

Smith will throw for 3000 yards and 24 TDs.

Awesome....can't wait.

cdcox
Matt freaking Cassel managed to throw plenty of TDs to Bowe, so let's take a lack of WR talent off the table.

The Franchise
12-12-2014, 05:47 PM
Cassel's best year in KC? 2010 obviously.

3116 yards
27 TDs and 7 INTs

His WRs that year?

Dwayne Bowe
Chris Chambers
Terrance Copper
Kevin Curtis
Quinten Lawrence

Tony Moeaki
Jake O'Connell
Leonard Pope

Holy shit...look at those weapons.

RealSNR
12-12-2014, 05:48 PM
Seriously, every time i think about this its.....number nine number nine number nine....or

"same as it ever was"

Pretty much.

And some visitors to Chiefs Planet wonder why so many people here are ornery.

The Franchise
12-12-2014, 05:48 PM
Oh...his offensive line that year?

OTs - Branden Albert and Ryan O'Callaghan
OGs - Jon Asamoah, Ryan Lilja and Brian Waters
OC - Rudy Niswanger and Casey Wiegmann

What a beast of an offensive line he had!

RealSNR
12-12-2014, 05:50 PM
Terrance Copper would have gotten Alex a TD by now :rockon:

RealSNR
12-12-2014, 05:50 PM
Cassel's best year in KC? 2010 obviously.

3116 yards
27 TDs and 7 INTs

His WRs that year?

Dwayne Bowe
Chris Chambers
Terrance Copper
Kevin Curtis
Quinten Lawrence

Tony Moeaki
Jake O'Connell
Leonard Pope

Holy shit...look at those weapons.
You're forgetting about our #2 WR for most of the season.

Verran Tucker LMAO

The Franchise
12-12-2014, 05:51 PM
Now which of you motherfuckers would want that WR group over what we have now?

Yeah....didn't fucking think so.

Alex Smith. This is fucking on you.

bevischief
12-12-2014, 05:53 PM
Or field a team...

RunKC
12-12-2014, 05:56 PM
Fix that offensive line and get Smith some better WRs....annnnnnnnnnnnnd?

Smith will throw for 3000 yards and 24 TDs.

Awesome....can't wait.

Totally what I said.

"Chiefs need to fix the OL and get their own Randall Cobb type of WR along with a young capable QB."

:facepalm:

The Franchise
12-12-2014, 05:59 PM
Totally what I said.

"Chiefs need to fix the OL and get their own Randall Cobb type of WR along with a young capable QB."

:facepalm:

My bad. I see fix the offensive line/add WRs and I fucking go blind.

12-12-2014, 06:01 PM
LMAO

Who would have thought we would be comparing QB numbers and finding better stats with Cassel than Smith.

Sweet Daddy Hate
12-12-2014, 06:16 PM
Good.....good.....

Let it flow.

Marcellus
12-12-2014, 06:19 PM
I'm as big a Smith supporter as almost anyone and fact is he has played like shit the last 3 weeks. Not good enough period.

I don't know whats up, I don't think its his norm, but simply put its been bad at times when we needed him to pick up the team a little.

Reid needs to pull his head from his ass as well and figure out whats up. Its squarely on those 2 guys right now.

Dave Lane
12-12-2014, 06:29 PM

check

Anyone that believes this is not the number one issue facing the Chiefs is wrong.

Sweet Daddy Hate
12-12-2014, 06:33 PM
Anyone that believes this is not the number one issue facing the Chiefs is wrong.

Well, the number one issue is ownership.

Let us nevar forget.

Marcellus
12-12-2014, 06:35 PM

Really? Smith isn't elite, I have never claimed he is but Reid has been as bad at his job as Smith and our OL is a dumpster fire and its not because of Smith.

I doubt anyone here could realistically argue against the fact Reid by himself has cost us 2-3 games this year.

Think of where that puts us.

Marcellus
12-12-2014, 06:35 PM

Let us nevar forget.

Please do explain? Because Clark is cheap right? Been proven wrong on this over and over and over.

Sweet Daddy Hate
12-12-2014, 06:44 PM
Please do explain? Because Clark is cheap right? Been proven wrong on this over and over and over.

As I explained in the other thread, all of the money on earth means nothing if you don't know what the fuck to do with it.

Does he spend? Oh yes!

Does he throw good money after bad after moistening his finger, sticking it in the air, and getting advice on what to do from god only knows who, instead of investing personal time and effort in to the endeavor?

You bet your ass he does.

FloridaMan88
12-12-2014, 06:51 PM
It is hard to develop QB's and WR's when you don't make it a priority to draft them high in the draft when you have the opportunity.

Is it possible to get great QB's/WR's later in the draft? Absolutely, but the odds are against you.

For the Chiefs to go 30+ years without drafting a QB in the first round and only taking 3 WR's in the first round during the past 25 years or so makes it difficult to land franchise-changing players at both positions.

Dave Lane
12-12-2014, 06:53 PM
Really? Smith isn't elite, I have never claimed he is but Reid has been as bad at his job as Smith and our OL is a dumpster fire and its not because of Smith.

I doubt anyone here could realistically argue against the fact Reid by himself has cost us 2-3 games this year.

Think of where that puts us.

We will never accomplish anything with Alex. We are burning through many of our best players prime years. That IS a bigger issue. Andy with a more capable QB might be exactly right with his playcalling. Andy has issues without dispute, but he needs a QB with balls larger than BBs.

Easy 6
12-12-2014, 07:46 PM

Let us nevar forget.

Not really dude, Clarky has paid for sterling resumes over and over again only to get a subpar product in return... we should narrow our laser onto the real culprits.

Clarks biggest fault is not engaging the NFL office hard enough on behalf of his team, he has the kind of sway that I tend to believe he doesnt even realize.

58kcfan89
12-12-2014, 07:49 PM
I guess my biggest issue right now isn't that the WRs are trash or that the OL sucks or any of the other dozens of problems this team has. It's what appears to be a lack of a long-term plan for this franchise.

This roster as it's currently constructed isn't winning a Super Bowl. Yet instead of blowing it up when Dorsey & Reid were hired, we traded for (ANOTHER) QB and tried to make a run of it with a few makeshift signings and waiver wire guys to pair with our Pro Bowlers.

Now, about to go into our 3rd offseason with this regime, we still have huge holes to fill all over the roster. We need an entirely new WR corps, at least 3 new OL, at least 1 MLB, help all over the secondary (I know what the stats say, but does anyone really trust this secondary?) and depth all over the place. That's to say nothing about the quarterback....

I guess right now I'm not seeing how this team turns into a legit title contender in the next few years. We've got a ton of holes to fill and I have little faith in this front office to draft a difference-maker. Kelce and D. Thomas are nice pieces but no one's won a SB building an offense around a RB, TE, a gadget player and a conservative as shit QB, which appears to be the current plan.

The Smith extension still baffles me. Why were we in such a hurry to extend a guy before the season started knowing that this might be a down year with a poor supporting cast? I've resigned myself to the knowledge that this franchise will never draft a franchise QB, but do they have to be so obvious about it? The Bowe signing, as well. I get that we were backed into a corner that offseason at WR, but did we really need to give him that much money? (I'm not even taking the Houston contract situation into account.)

This offseason is huge. There's still a ton of holes on this roster and I don't have a ton of faith in our front office to fill them based on what they've done to this point. I'm willing to give Dorsey & Reid a little more time, but I'm far from impressed to this point. There's always 2024, right?

Sandy Vagina
12-12-2014, 08:26 PM
The Smith extension still baffles me. Why were we in such a hurry to extend a guy before the season started knowing that this might be a down year with a poor supporting cast?

This surprised me as well. Alex has been unimpressive lately, but he's still my boo, and I didn't expect this team to be as bad or broken as it is. Still.. the only good reason to extend him then was either they expected him to gain leverage by having a grand year.. which is hard to see.. or actually saving a few mil on this year's cap.. which I don't know that they really used for much.. Bailey?

Either way, I expected them to just wait.

Guess they must really be all sold on him. Just better the OL, ILB, and WR2 spots, and I think it will still pay off in the long run.

Kaepernick
12-12-2014, 08:56 PM
Just brutal article.

notorious
12-12-2014, 09:23 PM
Daniel Snyder isn't cheap, he just spends his money like a dumbass.

Chiefs Pantalones
12-12-2014, 09:40 PM
"Chiefs’ failure to develop quarterbacks and wide receivers explains current drought"

Tell the world something we don't know, captain obvious. The next article will tell us the sky is blue.

Discuss Thrower
12-12-2014, 11:26 PM

Why have the Chiefs done the same thing at QB in terms of trading for a journeyman or backup under four of the last six head coaches and last three general managers?

Seems clear to me these guys are are all hired because their beliefs in terms of what guy you trot out as signal caller match up with the ownership.

RealSNR
12-12-2014, 11:52 PM
Why have the Chiefs done the same thing at QB in terms of trading for a journeyman or backup under four of the last six head coaches and last three general managers?

Seems clear to me these guys are are all hired because their beliefs in terms of what guy you trot out as signal caller match up with the ownership.

And there you have it.

When the Chiefs next bring in another GM/head coach who need to press the reset button at QB, and they get too scared by the draft and trade for a veteran to run a system, people will say, "You can't judge these guys by the mistakes of their predecessors." Just like they did with Smith/Dorsey/Reid.

The buck has to fucking stop somewhere. It could have stopped in this past draft. Bridgewater was right fucking there. Nope. No QB. Because "we already had one."

Sweet Daddy Hate
12-13-2014, 08:21 AM
"Dooooooooon't....

draaaaaaaafffffft...

a.......quarter-baaaaaaaaaacc....ack-ack-....*(exhale)

-Last words of Lamar Hunt to Clark Hunt

GloryDayz
12-13-2014, 09:00 AM
Reverse engineering the apparent problem (no TD passes to WRs), it would appear to me to divided between two things, O-line and WRs. And maybe a third if you look at what skills God forgot to add to Alex's genes.

We all know all things offense start with the O-line, and this one is as terrible as you'll find in the history of the NFL. The fact that JC is productive is a testament to him being awesome x100,000,000. The TE being so involved in the passing game is evidence that we have a QB with zero time because the O-linemen are simply terrible at their trade on 9 plays of of 10.

Next, the WRs. While they have "moments" when they make plays, more often than not in those rare cases when Alex hasn't been sacked they seem to create no separation. All too often they seem to give up on plays (when they show how it was a coverage sack).

And last, while I'm no Alex fan and seem to have him down the list of issues, he is on the list as having issues. If I'm giving him an out it's because the kid seems to be running for his life on most pass plays. On plays he's not murdered I'm sure the PTSD the O-line has allowed to breed in his veins prolly make him less effective on those rare occasions. But I can't seem to give him a pass when it comes to accuracy. He does seem to avoid many sacks with his feet, and throwing on the run isn't easy, but it's something he needs to master if this is what the owner and GM are going to provide him as an O-line. But last, on those really rare occasions when he throws from the pocket, it's hard to deny he doesn't have the accuracy, or touch, that a Manning or Brady have. It's not even close. So I'd love to see the Chiefs compensate for the O-line being a band of weak pussies by trying to make Alex more like Manning and have him throw the ball within 3-4 seconds 90% of the time. I actually think that's what they're trying to do since the TEs are so involved, but I think they need the other half of the Manning equation and need to practice the pick route x10,000. We all know it's a crime against humanity that the NFL has told the officials to look the other way on, so use it before they change their minds which will be right after we start using it, so do it for our defense! Manning may not have to do the 3-4 second thing because his O-line sucks (he just knows his chicken neck is one hit away from snapping, so 41 sacks would prolly be the end of his career), but it's pretty clear that Alex does. I guess what I'm saying is that it's hard to blame the QB for all of this when your O-line are a band of weak pussies and your WR group prolly couldn't make any other NFL team, much less start, but he does have flaw that probably aren't directly related to either the girlie O-line or the shitty WRs.

And Hunt/Dorsey having sat on their hands during the last off season is terrible, just terrible. And fat-Andy isn't free of blame there either, but I think all HCs get a pass as they're all allowed to claim they "just coach the kids they're given".

And what I'm most concerned about is how to fix it, I just don't see Hunt doing what it takes to make sure his employees get it fixed.

Sweet Daddy Hate
12-13-2014, 09:10 AM
We all know all things offense start with the O-line, and

I refuse to "know this".

No more.

No more of this shit.

Sure-Oz
12-13-2014, 09:12 AM
Even Thigpen threw Bowe TD passes.

Reid and Smith are doing something wrong.
Alex won't throw it to a reciever that isn't completely separated. I think its him

Sweet Daddy Hate
12-13-2014, 09:15 AM
"Eleventy Billion Degrees of Separation: The Alex Smith Story"

GloryDayz
12-13-2014, 09:22 AM
I refuse to "know this".

No more.

No more of this shit.

Well I am old! I may not be leather helmet old, but I do remember summer trips when most cars had black vinyl seats, no AC (other that 255 AC!!), and hot sticky drives in Fla.

splatbass
12-13-2014, 09:27 AM
Steve Beuerlein? They couldn't find anyone better than the ultimate journeyman QB to comment for this article?

Halfcan
12-13-2014, 09:30 AM
Does anyone think that if Bray had been the starter all year- we would still NOT have a TD to a WR? WIth that huge arm-we surely would have thrown one long bomb for a TD.

Alex has been sacked 41 times and has been ineffective to say the least-how much worse could it have been with Bray?

PizzaDoughz
12-13-2014, 09:30 AM
"Dooooooooon't....

draaaaaaaafffffft...

You guys are so silly LMAO

PHOG
12-13-2014, 09:39 AM
"Dooooooooon't....

draaaaaaaafffffft...

ROFL:LOL:

BigBeauford
12-13-2014, 09:58 AM
Does anyone think that if Bray had been the starter all year- we would still NOT have a TD to a WR? WIth that huge arm-we surely would have thrown one long bomb for a TD.

Alex has been sacked 41 times and has been ineffective to say the least-how much worse could it have been with Bray?

I guess it is technically possible to be worse. We could be 32nd in passing instead of 31st.

mdchiefsfan
12-13-2014, 10:12 AM
We can only hope that behind closed doors Reid is rolling his eyes at the film.

jd1020
12-13-2014, 10:57 AM
I honestly would have never thought that the Chiefs' inability to get a QB and WR's was reason for their failures in a passing league.

Valiant
12-13-2014, 11:12 AM
I hope we get the record. Another blackeye on the franchise. Right with that fewest sacks record.

only franchise to never draft a qb that won a playoff game. I also think gone to a probowl.

Dont worry, i am sure smith will throw 5tds to bowee in the last week. It will be enough owners, coaches and fans that we are almost there.

TribalElder
12-13-2014, 11:13 AM

That's the difference between teams like Seattle and teams like Kansas city

Pete Carroll had the balls to make Russell Wilson the starter over Matt Flynn even though they had just given flynn a big payday.

Kansas City has never had the balls to put up a non veteran QB. They join this roster and would rot away. By the time we actually try to use them they will be so far removed from any playing time they will be worthless. Keep trotting out whoever we paid the most.

Sack up pussies

Murray or Bray I cannot imagine would be without a TD to a wide receiver

Sandy Vagina
12-13-2014, 11:17 AM
I guess what I'm saying is that it's hard to blame the QB for all of this when your O-line are a band of weak pussies and your WR group prolly couldn't make any other NFL team, much less start, but he does have flaw that probably aren't directly related to either the girlie O-line or the shitty WRs.

That seems fair enough.. and I do have concerns about Alex's current mental state. Could very well be the PTSD you alluded to. I don't much worry about his ability.. while also recognizing that he does have some limitations with his arm and tendencies that will likely keep him at the "B grade" of QBs.

It will be interesting to see if this current nose-dive and OL fail finally breaks him. I hope it doesn't.. and history would suggest it won't.. but this could be the final, proverbial straw.

Brock
12-13-2014, 11:25 AM
A multimillionaire PTSD victim. Yeah, sure.

Sweet Daddy Hate
12-13-2014, 12:44 PM
I honestly would have never thought that the Chiefs' inability to get a QB and WR's was reason for their failures in a passing league.

LMAO