PDA

View Full Version : Life This is the closest I may ever come to a "Pawn Stars moment"

RealSNR
12-13-2014, 06:16 PM
So if you've ever seen the show, you know a large portion of it has to be scripted. I have no clue where they find the people who bring the shit they want to sell/pawn. Do they send out a call for people with weird stuff to get on TV, or do they "plant" the items on randoms? Even for a pawn shop as unique and unordinary as that one, 99.9% of the time people aren't entering pawn shops looking to sell their own copy of the Declaration of Independence that was hand-written by Thomas Jefferson himself.

I notice that any time somebody brings up something really cool, and Rick asks, "Where did you find this?" they often say, "Eh, I found it at a garage sale" or "I tripped over it when I was nosing around in my Grandpa's attic." Sometimes it's believable, like an old gramophone or something. Or a WWI uniform. Sure, I could buy that being a family heirloom getting passed down. Susan B. Anthony's private collection of vibrators and dildos? I'm calling bullshit on that. You did NOT just find that laying around.

Well, this isn't anything totally unusual or bizarre, but it's pretty damn cool. I'm currently in the process of helping my grandparents move into an assisted living place, so we've got a lot of odds and ends laying around in their basement and attic to go through. Today I was pulling out shoeboxes of pictures, old dishes, model trains. It's all really cool stuff in itself, but it's something you kind of expect in a house from somebody who's lived that long and still has that Great Depression mentality to save anything that could be of use one day.

But then I found a brown paper sack containing a baseball with a lot of signatures on it. I asked them about it, and they said, "Oh yeah, that must have been that baseball game we went to when the kids were really young." They lived most of their lives in Sioux Falls, so I assumed it was a Twins game, since I never heard of them going down to Kansas City for stuff like that. I guess they won it in some sort of "Hey, your ticket number was called! You win a team-autographed baseball" drawing. However, this was at the end of the day, and they were getting tired. They couldn't remember exactly what it was or how they won it. My dad didn't remember any of it, either, so he must have been very young.

After googling the rest of the names, I'm 99% sure this is from the 1962 Twins. I knew nothing about Twins baseball before the Kirby Puckett era other than Harmon Killebrew, and his signature is on there. Only one name doesn't match up (Dan Dobbek), but I guess he was around for the 1961 season, so maybe he was just in reserve all year?

Anyway, it definitely made my day. I'm pretty much the only one in the family who has an appreciation for sports memorabilia like this, but I still insisted they keep it. Apparently they forgot about the damn baseball decades ago, so they said it'd be better if I kept it and appreciated it. I'm also going to be doing some more research on that season. Hopefully I can pinpoint eventually the exact game they went to and who was on the team at the time that didn't get their signature on the ball.

And no, I'm not going to sell it. I'm not a Twins fan, but I always think it's kind of shitty when somebody goes in looking for easy cash for shit that's been in the family for generations, and then Rick does his usual, "I could give ya like $5 for it." This isn't exactly an heirloom or something that has personal meaning to my grandparents or parents, but I think it's pretty damn cool, and it's still something I'll have for years to come after they are both gone.

So I guess from now on I'll be less skeptical of the lady on Pawn Stars who found Katherine Hepburn's pubic hair trimmer in her grandma's medicine cabinet. That kind of stuff IS out there in weird places that you never expect it to be.

Dinny Bossa Nova
12-13-2014, 06:18 PM
Are you going to make it to Knuckleheads this Saturday?

Dinny

SAUTO
12-13-2014, 06:20 PM

Dinny

I literally LOL 'd at this post.

Not really sure why though.

dj56dt58
12-13-2014, 06:21 PM
I have a buddy that knows a lot about this type of thing..

RealSNR
12-13-2014, 06:25 PM

Dinny

Don't live in the KC area, unfortunately.

Do they have an organ already there? Those things are damn hard to transport.

Pasta Little Brioni
12-13-2014, 06:26 PM
I literally LOL 'd at this post.

Not really sure why though.

Me too. Seemed out of nowhere heh

RealSNR
12-13-2014, 06:29 PM
I have a buddy that knows a lot about this type of thing..

I'm looking to get a million for this baseball, and if your buddy says it isn't worth that much, he's full of shit.

stevieray
12-13-2014, 06:29 PM
Me too. Seemed out of nowhere heh

SNR is a talented musician.

stevieray
12-13-2014, 06:32 PM
We lived with my grandma till I was in the third grade...she had a beautiful tapestry from Germany..grew up looking at it....my mom recently gave it to me... almost 60 years old and in pristine shape.

I wouldn't sell it for a million bucks. Hangs in my family room.

TimBone
12-13-2014, 06:33 PM
Cool story. Also, I swear I read somewhere that most of the people bringing in stuff are genuine. They apply beforehand to be on the show and have their items looked at though.

TimBone
12-13-2014, 06:34 PM
And good on ya to make your grandparents keep it. I agree I always look at the folks trying to make a quick buck as assholes.

Deberg_1990
12-13-2014, 06:34 PM
So your telling me 'Pawn Stars' is scripted and staged? WTF?????

fairladyZ
12-13-2014, 06:35 PM
They put ads in the newspaper for people to brino their wweird shit down and if it's good they film it

Dinny Bossa Nova
12-13-2014, 06:37 PM

That's why I want to doit with him.

Dinny

SAUTO
12-13-2014, 06:39 PM

I knew that, dinny just came out of no where in this thread though, made me laugh.

Jim Lahey
Fuck the twins

RealSNR
We lived with my grandma till I was in the third grade...she had a beautiful tapestry from Germany..grew up looking at it....my mom recently gave it to me... almost 60 years old and in pristine shape.

:thumb:

And that's really the best stuff. My grandpa today gave me a hatchet that HIS grandfather had when he was a boy. It still has the same leather arm strap that they used to carry it around on their farms. I've got to find a special place for that other than the memory box. It's just too cool to keep with everything else.

Demonpenz
12-13-2014, 06:41 PM
Do you need a ride to knuckleheads?

stevieray
:thumb:

And that's really the best stuff. My grandpa today gave me a hatchet that HIS grandfather had when he was a boy. It still has the same leather arm strap that they used to carry it around on their farms. I've got to find a special place for that other than the memory box. It's just too cool to keep with everything else.

WOW!

I hear ya...I love these examples of deep roots..ya, you've got display that somehow.

Titty Meat
Too long didn't read

stevieray
12-13-2014, 06:43 PM
I knew that, dinny just came out of no where in this thread though, made me laugh.
that's the dinmeister for ya!

LMAO

SAUTO
12-13-2014, 06:43 PM
that's the dinmeister for ya!

LMAO

I know it well, lol.

RealSNR
12-13-2014, 06:44 PM
Too long didn't read

It was a heart-warming story that I took 20 minutes of my busy life to write for you miserable jerks.

But that's okay.

Dinny Bossa Nova
12-13-2014, 06:45 PM

Actually I mention SNR in the OP of the Knuckleheads thread.

SNR, if you take a trip this direction, you gotta let me know. We seriously need to doit.

Dinny

SAUTO
12-13-2014, 06:47 PM

SNR, if you take a trip this direction, you gotta let me know. We seriously need to doit.

Dinny

Lol, I saw it. It was just funny seeing it in this thread all off subject lol

Titty Meat
12-13-2014, 06:47 PM
It was a heart-warming story that I took 20 minutes of my busy life to write for you miserable jerks.

But that's okay.

That's nothing. It's took us 20 years to see a Chiefs playoff victory.

SAUTO
12-13-2014, 06:48 PM
That's nothing. It's took us 20 years to see a Chiefs playoff victory.

Where? How did I miss us winning one

Deberg_1990
12-13-2014, 06:51 PM

I've got a buddy who's an expert in Germany. Let me give him a call.

RealSNR
12-13-2014, 06:53 PM

Dinny

I may have to do that. I'd likely only spectate, though. I'm just not very good at improvising as I should be. About the only experience I have with it was playing piano in high school jazz band for four years. When I improvise on Sunday mornings, I keep it simple stupid as much as I can.

If they're nice people at Knuckleheads, I'll definitely give it a whack sometime.

Simply Red
12-13-2014, 06:53 PM

But that's okay.

http://i.imgur.com/2EXxRFB.gif

RealSNR
12-13-2014, 06:56 PM
http://i.imgur.com/2EXxRFB.gif

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/iadXaHoppWw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Pitt Gorilla
12-13-2014, 08:18 PM
Susan B. Anthony's private collection of vibrators and dildos? I've got a buddy who is an expert on Susan B. Anthony sex toys.

scho63
12-13-2014, 08:21 PM
I'll give you $7 and a Matt Cassel jersey for that baseball. ROFL

lewdog
12-13-2014, 08:24 PM
That's a great fucking baseball man! Love hearing stories like that.

BigRedChief
12-13-2014, 08:27 PM
The baseball isn't going to be worth much at all. You can pay $50 to authenticate the signatures and then you may get $100. It's not the ball, its the market for all baseball autographs and memorabilia. The market is in the dumpster.

I'd keep the ball. Good back story about the grandparents attached to the ball.

lewdog
12-13-2014, 08:34 PM
The baseball isn't going to be worth much at all. You can pay $50 to authenticate the signatures and then you may get $100. It's not the ball, its the market for all baseball autographs and memorabilia. The market is in the dumpster.

I noticed to autograph market is like the stock market. When players break out, it's crazy expensive like when Puig hit the scene. After his few month run slowed down, price were about cut in half for his stuff.

Deberg_1990
12-13-2014, 08:35 PM

Why did the baseball market take a dump? Is it because the popularity of baseball has taken a dive?

Bowser
12-13-2014, 08:35 PM

Well aren't you a ray of sunshine. Why don't you go ahead and tell SNR what failures his grandparents are while you're at it?

http://i.imgur.com/6tCdg.gif

BigRedChief
12-13-2014, 08:59 PM
Why did the baseball market take a dump? Is it because the popularity of baseball has taken a dive?Too much material on the market. A lot was speculation that the market would continue to grow and prices go up. When the market flatten, people put their stuff up for sale and the prices tumbled.

Something like SNR's baseball, IMHO has way more value to him than even if it was worth $1000. Watching my baseball team win a world Championship in person with my son was priceless. How much would you pay for that experience? It is worth way more than money.

RealSNR
12-13-2014, 09:08 PM
Too much material on the market. A lot was speculation that the market would continue to grow and prices go up. When the market flatten, people put their stuff up for sale and the prices tumbled.

Something like SNR's baseball, IMHO has way more value to him than even if it was worth $1000. Watching my baseball team win a world Championship in person with my son was priceless. How much would you pay for that experience? It is worth way more than money.
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/7YRF4QJC4l8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

lewdog
12-13-2014, 09:31 PM
Why did the baseball market take a dump? Is it because the popularity of baseball has taken a dive?

Market is over-saturated and with the coming of Ebay, much of that market is fake sports memorabilia with people thinking they are getting deals but are really just getting ripped off.

The Franchise
12-13-2014, 09:40 PM
Both sets of my Grandparents died and I didn't get anything cool. You lucky bastard...

cdcox
12-14-2014, 12:07 AM
My grandparents all died during my childhood and adolescence. My maternal grandparents had 13 children, including my mother who was the youngest daughter and the third youngest overall. Through circumstances we have come into possession of three significant items.

We have had the bedroom furniture of my grandparents (consisting of a dresser and bed frame) for nearly all of our married life. These pieces aren't particularly valuable but I think it is pretty cool that my daughter uses the bed frame of my grand parents. My wife and I still use the dresser.

The grand prize is my grandparent's wedding photo. It is at least 95 years old, with an oval frame and bubble glass. It came into the possession of my mom and several years ago I expressed an appreciation of it. One year soon after, it was given to us as a Christmas present and has hung in our home for the last 10 years or so. I still have living uncles and cousins that have a greater claim to it by way of family hierarchy, but for whatever reason, fate has designated me as the caretaker. I'm sure it isn't worth anything, but to me it is priceless.

RealSNR
12-14-2014, 12:18 AM
My grandparents all died during my childhood and adolescence. My maternal grandparents had 13 children, including my mother who was the youngest daughter and the third youngest overall. Through circumstances we have come into possession of three significant items.

We have had the bedroom furniture of my grandparents (consisting of a dresser and bed frame) for nearly all of our married life. These pieces aren't particularly valuable but I think it is pretty cool that my daughter uses the bed frame of my grand parents. My wife and I still use the dresser.

The grand prize is my grandparent's wedding photo. It is at least 95 years old, with an oval frame and bubble glass. It came into the possession of my mom and several years ago I expressed an appreciation of it. One year soon after, it was given to us as a Christmas present and has hung in our home for the last 10 years or so. I still have living uncles and cousins that have a greater claim to it by way of family hierarchy, but for whatever reason, fate has designated me as the caretaker. I'm sure it isn't worth anything, but to me it is priceless.

Too fat.

cdcox
12-14-2014, 12:26 AM
Too fat.

You bash on my dead grandpa? Is nothing sacred?

RealSNR
12-14-2014, 01:29 AM
You bash on my dead grandpa? Is nothing sacred?

What? No, I'm talking about the frame. It's a fat ugly frame.

Hammock Parties
12-14-2014, 01:38 AM
Old photographs are amazing. I recently scanned over 200 old photos of my family members. This is my grandmother when she was a dancer at right.

http://i.imgur.com/yuuaUBm.jpg

Jimmya
12-14-2014, 01:43 AM
Love old pics!

HoneyBadger
12-14-2014, 02:21 AM
I have a baseball signed by the 1996 SF Giants team, including Bonds. Wanna trade?

TimBone
12-14-2014, 02:41 AM
Old photographs are amazing. I recently scanned over 200 old photos of my family members. This is my grandmother when she was a dancer at right.

http://i.imgur.com/yuuaUBm.jpg
What strip club was that?

lewdog
12-14-2014, 08:42 PM
I have a baseball signed by the 1996 SF Giants team, including Bonds. Wanna trade?

What you want for it?

TambaBerry
12-14-2014, 09:18 PM
What you want for it?

Probably a patio set that someone gave you

mr. tegu
12-15-2014, 12:08 AM
When we went through my grandpa's things recently we found a bunch 1985 Royals newspapers and magazines.

He also kept like the whole week of the moon landing from the Star. It is crazy to think that back then you had to wait until the paper the next morning to get your news. It was amazing seeing the amount of coverage and detail that went into the reporting leading up to the actual landing.

The papers are in great condition still, but they are just in a bag. I don't think they are really worth much money but it is cool that they were kept for so long. I don't know if I will ever get them framed or anything.

We also found an account ledger of their personal expenses from the late 1950's. That was very interesting seeing the amounts they paid for things and even some of the things they paid. For example they had a bill for the milkman (I think $10 a month) a bread man, and their house was about $70 per month.

I am not sure how big that house was or where it was because they moved into their next house that I am familiar with soon after that.

HoneyBadger
12-15-2014, 03:49 AM

It better be a nice wicker set.

J Diddy
12-15-2014, 06:53 AM

But that's okay.

I once found a giant meteor. I lugged that giant ball around with me everywhere until one day I thought out loud, "hey I could use some extra cash."

Took it to a guy where he informed me it was just a giant ball of poo that fell out of an airplane.

Needless to say I was heartbroken. That was until I found a nuclear bomb but that too ended in heartbreak.

My point is it all ends in heartbreak. I mean, come on, I was just trying to find my parents since we were separated since the Grand Canyon adventure.

lewdog
12-15-2014, 06:18 PM

It better be a nice wicker set.

I do have a wicker patio set but I bought it myself. :huh:

DaNewGuy
12-15-2014, 06:36 PM
I got a coke from 2000 signed by Thabiti Davis ill give it to you for 5 bucks and a 7/11 Cuban Sub