PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs It's all about the Receivers

MahiMike
12-15-2014, 09:35 AM
As I sat and watched the Redzone channel waiting for a glimpse of my Chiefs, I was privvy to a lot of games yesterday. One thing stood out in every game I watched. I's all about the receivers.

In today's NFL, the passing game has all the advantage. You just need the players to execute it. You can see why top teams are at the top and the wannabe's are a level behind them. Pick a game, any game and you'll see guys either making catches or dropping passes.

Take Miami/New England for example. I watched at least 5 balls that should have been caught that were dropped by the receivers. Many of these were deep passes and at least 1 for a TD. Any of these passes caught would have made a difference in the outcome. Meanwhile, New England's receivers just kept chugging along, moving the chains.

Take the Browns/Bengals game. Same thing. Sure Johnny football had a bad day but part of that was his receivers. He's a rookie in his 1st game. You have to know the passes won't be perfect. Catch the damn ball.

Chiefs/Raiders vs Steelers/Falcons. Why does big Ben always seem to have a receiver that can make the tough catch look simple? Antonio Brown tip toes on the sideline like he has 20 inch toes. Meanwhile, our beloved Dwayne Bowe STILL thinks he's at LSU where only one foot is needed. Just like the playoff game at Indy, Bowe repeatedly can't get his feet in bounds.

And for all the folks that say it's about the QB - bullshit. I saw a dozen catches by the Seahawks, Broncos, Patriots, etc. that were either 1 handed or just plain difficult to grab.

And this junk about taking 3 years to develop a WR? Odell Beckham please. You think Eli is doing all the work there?

We are constantly complaining about our QB in KC. Time to blame the guys on the receiving end instead.

Bearcat
12-15-2014, 09:43 AM
http://i.imgur.com/XIQ5WJU.gif

MahiMike
12-15-2014, 09:48 AM

Nice cherry pick.

Bearcat
12-15-2014, 09:53 AM
Nice cherry pick.

I scoured the internet to find that one bad pass.

LMAO

FFS, your avatar title thing says Alex > Kaepernick. Well, Kaepernick has much better receivers, so he's clearly much, much better.

MahiMike
12-15-2014, 10:02 AM
I scoured the internet to find that one bad pass.

LMAO

FFS, your avatar title thing says Alex > Kaepernick. Well, Kaepernick has much better receivers, so he's clearly much, much better.

Logic defies you. Stay out of my thread.

Snapplez
12-15-2014, 10:06 AM
Logic defies you. Stay out of my thread.

You're retarded and so is this thread

Bearcat
12-15-2014, 10:12 AM
You're retarded and so is this thread

I'll always remember how Willie Davis and JJ Birden led the Chiefs to those playoff victories in '93. That QB they had... shit, what was his name... he didn't amount to anything without those guys.

KC native
12-15-2014, 10:12 AM
Receivers can't throw themselves the ball down field.

retarded thread is retarded.

The Franchise
12-15-2014, 10:18 AM
And this is your typical Chiefs fan. This is why we can't have nice things.

TEX
12-15-2014, 10:20 AM
As I sat and watched the Redzone channel waiting for a glimpse of my Chiefs, I was privvy to a lot of games yesterday. One thing stood out in every game I watched. I's all about the receivers.

In today's NFL, the passing game has all the advantage. You just need the players to execute it. You can see why top teams are at the top and the wannabe's are a level behind them. Pick a game, any game and you'll see guys either making catches or dropping passes.

Take Miami/New England for example. I watched at least 5 balls that should have been caught that were dropped by the receivers. Many of these were deep passes and at least 1 for a TD. Any of these passes caught would have made a difference in the outcome. Meanwhile, New England's receivers just kept chugging along, moving the chains.

Take the Browns/Bengals game. Same thing. Sure Johnny football had a bad day but part of that was his receivers. He's a rookie in his 1st game. You have to know the passes won't be perfect. Catch the damn ball.

Chiefs/Raiders vs Steelers/Falcons. Why does big Ben always seem to have a receiver that can make the tough catch look simple? Antonio Brown tip toes on the sideline like he has 20 inch toes. Meanwhile, our beloved Dwayne Bowe STILL thinks he's at LSU where only one foot is needed. Just like the playoff game at Indy, Bowe repeatedly can't get his feet in bounds.

And for all the folks that say it's about the QB - bullshit. I saw a dozen catches by the Seahawks, Broncos, Patriots, etc. that were either 1 handed or just plain difficult to grab.

And this junk about taking 3 years to develop a WR? Odell Beckham please. You think Eli is doing all the work there?

We are constantly complaining about our QB in KC. Time to blame the guys on the receiving end instead.

It's more about the OL than anything. Fix that and it's the best value upgrade possible to make everything else better. Last season, KC's offense played very well the last 7 games (and the playoff game) with much of the same cast - difference was that OL, while not stellar, was much better than the steaming pile they have now.

FishingRod
12-15-2014, 10:27 AM

Elvis could thow it and catch it too

BlackHelicopters
12-15-2014, 10:35 AM
McGyver could catch the ball

Mr. Laz
12-15-2014, 10:47 AM
it's certainly about the receivers AS WELL

our QB has to make himself look for deeper passes
our Oline has to protect better
our WR have to catch and play better
our coach has to prepare and call better plays

it's a team game

Mr. Laz
12-15-2014, 10:48 AM
http://i.im/XIQ5WJU.gif
we have like 3 drops in one drive yesterday

the only reason it doesn't happen more is because Alex Smith is afraid to throw to the WR more

FringeNC
12-15-2014, 10:49 AM
An effective passing attack requires a lot stuff -- good QB, good WRs, good offensive line, good coaching, etc.

I think what Buffalo's pass rush did to the vaunted Packers passing attack shows the importance of the O-line. I really think Reid can scheme a very effective passing attack with the receivers we have (including RBs and TEs) if the QB has time. In other words, I think pass protection has been a much bigger issue than poor WRs this year.

ThaVirus
12-15-2014, 10:49 AM
ITT: Chiefs fans claiming it's all about the receivers and offensive line.

Cant make this shit up.

2bikemike
12-15-2014, 11:10 AM
we have like 3 drops in one drive yesterday

the only reason it doesn't happen more is because Alex Smith is afraid to throw to the WR more

The Chiefs have the 2nd largest percentage of dropped passes. (5.8%) I was kind of surprised who was number 1. The Indianapolis Colts (6.2%)

The Best in the NFL is the San Diego Chargers at 2.3%

BigMeatballDave
12-15-2014, 11:12 AM
And this is your typical Chiefs fan. This is why we can't have nice things.

LMAO What the fuck does this even mean?

The Franchise
12-15-2014, 11:28 AM
LMAO What the **** does this even mean?

No accountability on the QB. They'll blame everyone but the QB until it's obvious that they can't anymore.

bricks
12-15-2014, 11:28 AM

Imo, it goes both ways.

The quarterback obviously has to be able to deliver the ball well enough so that the receiver could catch it. For example, DAT was open yesterday down the sidelines. Alex Smith didn't deliver the ball well enough so DAT could catch it. If Alex Smith throw that ball well, DAT catches it and its a TD.

But then there are also times where the QB delivers the ball perfectly, puts it into the bread basket and the WR drops the ball! This happen with D Bowe in the past a handful of times. That has to do with concentration issues from the WR.

And speaking of D Bowe, many of us know that he has concentration issues. Thats why he is not a #1 and never will be.

BigMeatballDave
12-15-2014, 11:31 AM
No accountability on the QB. They'll blame everyone but the QB until it's obvious that they can't anymore.

I get that, but what does it have to do with having nice things. Unfortunately, we're not allowed to select our own QB.

petegz28
12-15-2014, 11:32 AM

apparently ours can't catch the ball that hits them in the hands, either

MahiMike
12-15-2014, 11:33 AM

Who said the QB wasn't responsible? You guys don't even read shit anymore.

Aspengc8
12-15-2014, 11:33 AM
apparently ours can't catch the ball that hits them in the hands, either

but..but.. jordy nelson drops them too!!

The Franchise
12-15-2014, 11:34 AM
I get that, but what does it have to do with having nice things. Unfortunately, we're not allowed to select our own QB.

Your typical Chiefs fan would never put up with a rookie QB.

ChiefsCountry
12-15-2014, 11:37 AM
Your typical Chiefs fan would never put up with a rookie QB.

But damnit our rookie left tackle needs time to develop but not our rookie qb.

FML
12-15-2014, 11:41 AM
have faith in andy and alex. not only are we making the playoffs...we are going deep. hint: very deep. :)

Mr. Laz
12-15-2014, 11:44 AM

you're an idiot

TLO
12-15-2014, 11:46 AM

Fisher sucks.

The Franchise
12-15-2014, 11:48 AM
you're an idiot

Funny coming from you.

Hootie
12-15-2014, 11:58 AM
Ha.

No it's not.

You need QB's like Rodgers who would NEVER miss the DAT throw, ever. You need QB's that will let receivers make these plays you are talking about, which Alex does not.

Alex is a fine frontrunner. When we are winning, he's a good QB. He really is.

As soon as we are losing by 7+, we're fucked. We just are.

We can beat ANYONE if we score 1st and our defense is playing well. If we struggle and get down by 10 ... Alex just doesn't play well when our offense gets one dimensional. At all.

Hootie
12-15-2014, 11:59 AM
and people can not tell me Dwayne Bowe isn't a quality receiver. He is. He's a #2 on just about any team and a #1 on a few (like ours, for instance).

And Kelce is about as dynamic as any pass catching TE in the NFL.

Rexx
12-15-2014, 12:15 PM
BS....There were many wide open WR's in the AZ game..go to a game and watch the whole field especially when he is scrambling. Some of this is on the WR's, most of it is on the QB as he fails to look down the field when on the run. No disputing it!

ModSocks
12-15-2014, 12:22 PM
In today's NFL, it's almost impossible to cover every receiver every play. On any given play, there's likely someone open. Guys like Aaron Rodgers can find those receivers.

Jakemall
12-15-2014, 12:29 PM
In today's NFL, it's almost impossible to cover every receiver every play. On any given play, there's likely someone open. Guys like Aaron Rodgers can find those receivers.

Most NFL qbs can when they get 5 seconds. That said, You're talking about the best QB in the NFL. There are 2-3 guys that are close and everyone else is just at a different level...

And even Aaron doesn't make that pass every time.

the Talking Can
12-15-2014, 12:53 PM
bowe put 1000 yards as a rookie

was a td machine with Cassel

can't do shit with a QB afraid to throw

keg in kc
12-15-2014, 01:08 PM
Offensive line and quarterback are the issues here. Not receiver. Or at least more than receiver, and in my opinion much more.

Frankly I think the issues at quarterback are being downplayed. So much (valid) criticism of how conservative Smith is, but very little focus is given to how such an "accurate" quarterback doesn't consistently throw quality passes. And what I mean by that is that he doesn't regularly put balls into windows when receivers are open (and they are getting open). He doesn't throw his receivers open/lead them into longer gains. All the talk about drops, and Smith does so little to help either himself or his receivers in that regard.

Of course he's also running for his life half the time. Hence the o-line mention.

Wallcrawler
12-15-2014, 01:34 PM
When Alex flees the pocket, he becomes a running back, not a quarterback. He makes what reads he can with what little time the O-line allots him, and then he's looking to run. He doesn't keep his eyes downfield and that is why most of the time once the pocket collapses, its either a rush attempt, sack, or a pitiful throw out of bounds.

People rip their hair out of their heads screaming for the guy to put it up, but the fact is once he leaves the pocket, if he does throw it up it would be like doing it blindfolded, because he has NO IDEA what is downfield.

This is a definite flaw. We knew what we were getting when Alex came on board. He was an inside the numbers passer, and rarely challenged anyone on the outside.

Couple these factors with inability to consistently catch footballs across the board and shit pass protection on top of it, and the end result is what you have now. A completely anemic passing attack.

The Chiefs have to pretty much play perfectly on offense to maintain success. You get a football in stride to a sprinting Jamaal Charles and he drops the football and it just makes you sick.

You get a wide open Dwayne Bowe on an intermediate slant and the football isn't delivered where it should be and instead of an in-stride catch and possible split of the defenders for a TD, its a low and behind throw that Bowe should be able to still make, but doesn't.

You get an incredible talent in Kelce who makes huge plays but is now a guy that makes you hold your breath when the football is in his hands because he coughs it up so regularly. 3 fumbles (that I can remember) in five games for a tight end is just unacceptable.

The O-line, particularly Fisher has been horrible. Terrible left tackle, and arguably the worst guards in football.

Then you throw terrible situational playcalling and time management on top if it, and it has to be amazing to some that the Chiefs have managed to win 8 games to this point. The utter disregard of Jamaal Charles has led to at least 3 of those losses. Had Reid simply given Jamaal the football in those contests, we likely have 11 wins right now.

Its a perfect storm of shit for the offense. There are deficiencies in EVERY SINGLE AREA. Its going to take the bulk of those 11 draft picks to try to shore this up and get back into the modern football era where WR's actually catch td passes and teams don't play their safeties at the first down sticks.

Hootie
12-15-2014, 01:39 PM
that's what bothers me most about Alex ...

nail on the head

when he leaves the pocket, he no longer looks to pass

Aaron Rodgers and Russell Wilson make so many things happen throwing on the run outside of the pocket. Why can Alex Smith not do this? Alex is every bit as mobile as Rodgers, he seems to have ok footwork ... what is the issue?

Snapplez
12-15-2014, 01:46 PM

nail on the head

Aaron Rodgers and Russell Wilson make so many things happen throwing on the run outside of the pocket. Why can Alex Smith not do this? Alex is every bit as mobile as Rodgers, he seems to have ok footwork ... what is the issue?

He scurred

Frosty
12-15-2014, 01:51 PM
When Alex flees the pocket, he becomes a running back, not a quarterback. He makes what reads he can with what little time the O-line allots him, and then he's looking to run. He doesn't keep his eyes downfield and that is why most of the time once the pocket collapses, its either a rush attempt, sack, or a pitiful throw out of bounds.

People rip their hair out of their heads screaming for the guy to put it up, but the fact is once he leaves the pocket, if he does throw it up it would be like doing it blindfolded, because he has NO IDEA what is downfield.

One of things I hope Andy can fix with Alex is his tendency to full on sprint to the sideline to his right when he gets pressure (usually right into the DE). He did that again yesterday when all he had to was step up and he wouldn't have had immediate pressure.

bricks
12-15-2014, 01:56 PM

nail on the head

This doesn't really bother me about Alex Smith as much.

Tbh, he has pretty good athletic ability to scramble and pick up some good to really good yards on the run. What bothers me most about Alex, is that he doesn't take enough shots down the field. He is too into that dink and dunk bullshit.

Just Passin' By
12-15-2014, 01:57 PM
Those of you who are bitching about the QB, and using Rodgers as a comparison, should probably choose a different QB as your champion after yesterday's Packers loss.

And that different QB shouldn't be Wilson, who is fast becoming the most overrated athlete in the world.

The Franchise
12-15-2014, 02:10 PM
Yep....1 game wipes out an entire career. I guess since the Chiefs shutdown Tom Brady.....that means he sucks.....right?

RunKC
12-15-2014, 02:17 PM

Yesterday Rodgers had such little time to to even make a drop and look for said receivers that it didn't matter. Just like Buffalo did to Manning the week before.

Now you see why Dorsey drafted Dee Ford.

Just Passin' By
12-15-2014, 02:18 PM
Yep....1 game wipes out an entire career. I guess since the Chiefs shutdown Tom Brady.....that means he sucks.....right?

It's about the timing, slick. You don't go saying things like "Rodgers makes those throws" when he just had a game where he failed to make those throws.

Hootie
12-15-2014, 02:23 PM
Those of you who are bitching about the QB, and using Rodgers as a comparison, should probably choose a different QB as your champion after yesterday's Packers loss.

And that different QB shouldn't be Wilson, who is fast becoming the most overrated athlete in the world.
Well, lmao. You're dumb.

Sully
12-15-2014, 02:26 PM
I go to the games. Several on here look at the all-22. It's pretty clear that there are open receivers downfield quite a bit.
We have a QB, or a coaching staff, who won't take chances.

OldSchool
12-15-2014, 02:29 PM
No it's not. Football has been and will always be a team game.

If WRs and passing stats were the only thing that mattered Detroit would have won multiple Superbowls by now. Same with GB, NO, Zona, Texans, etc.

Just Passin' By
12-15-2014, 02:32 PM
Well, lmao. You're dumb.

Yeah, I'm worried about your take on something football.

Rodgers made all the throws yesterday, and Wilson's an elite QB, right? LMAO

Coochie liquor
12-15-2014, 02:36 PM

This is a definite flaw. We knew what we were getting when Alex came on board. He was an inside the numbers passer, and rarely challenged anyone on the outside.

Couple these factors with inability to consistently catch footballs across the board and shit pass protection on top of it, and the end result is what you have now. A completely anemic passing attack.

The Chiefs have to pretty much play perfectly on offense to maintain success. You get a football in stride to a sprinting Jamaal Charles and he drops the football and it just makes you sick.

You get a wide open Dwayne Bowe on an intermediate slant and the football isn't delivered where it should be and instead of an in-stride catch and possible split of the defenders for a TD, its a low and behind throw that Bowe should be able to still make, but doesn't.

You get an incredible talent in Kelce who makes huge plays but is now a guy that makes you hold your breath when the football is in his hands because he coughs it up so regularly. 3 fumbles (that I can remember) in five games for a tight end is just unacceptable.

The O-line, particularly Fisher has been horrible. Terrible left tackle, and arguably the worst guards in football.

Then you throw terrible situational playcalling and time management on top if it, and it has to be amazing to some that the Chiefs have managed to win 8 games to this point. The utter disregard of Jamaal Charles has led to at least 3 of those losses. Had Reid simply given Jamaal the football in those contests, we likely have 11 wins right now.

Its a perfect storm of shit for the offense. There are deficiencies in EVERY SINGLE AREA. Its going to take the bulk of those 11 draft picks to try to shore this up and get back into the modern football era where WR's actually catch td passes and teams don't play their safeties at the first down sticks.

Great post!

Hoover
12-15-2014, 02:38 PM
It's all about the receivers.

In today's NFL, the passing game has all the advantage.

This is the critical point in this thread. The NFL rules are such that the WRs have a huge advantage and we are one of the few teams that doesn't have the ability to capitalize on it. This is exactly why we need to add a legit #1 WR in the off season.

I also think our other problem is that while our D can get to the QB, it does not create turnovers.

OldSchool
12-15-2014, 02:42 PM
This is the critical point in this thread. The NFL rules are such that the WRs have a huge advantage and we are one of the few teams that doesn't have the ability to capitalize on it. This is exactly why we need to add a legit #1 WR in the off season.

I also think our other problem is that while our D can get to the QB, it does not create turnovers.

IT's not like they haven't had opportunities. They simply just cannot catch the damn football if their lives depended on it. There have been at least 10 dropped INTs vs the Raiders alone through both games.

keg in kc
12-15-2014, 02:45 PM
It's about the timing, slick. You don't go saying things like "Rodgers makes those throws" when he just had a game where he failed to make those throws.Rodgers not making those throws is an aberration. Smith not making those throws is a regularity.

keg in kc
12-15-2014, 02:48 PM

nail on the head

Aaron Rodgers and Russell Wilson make so many things happen throwing on the run outside of the pocket. Why can Alex Smith not do this? Alex is every bit as mobile as Rodgers, he seems to have ok footwork ... what is the issue?I can't remember if it was the Cardinals game or yesterday (I think it was Arizona) but there was one play where he did exactly that. Scrambled around, was I assume going to run like he always does, and then he sort of chucked it downfield. And completed it. I was gobsmacked. At the time my instant reaction was that it was the best play I'd seen him make all year, just because he actually moved the ball down field.

Problem being, he only did it that one time...

Just Passin' By
12-15-2014, 02:49 PM
Rodgers not making those throws is an aberration. Smith not making those throws is a regularity.

Rodgers not making those throws was yesterday. Using him as an example is stupid because of the timing.

And the reality is that all QBs miss throws, which is something this place usually ignores. It also ignores the reality that all teams regularly throw short of the first down marker on third down plays, that poor offensive line play and receiver play has a big impact on a QB's overall play, and that even great QBs need at least a little help.

keg in kc
12-15-2014, 02:50 PM
Rodgers not making those throws was yesterday. Using him as an example is stupid because of the timing.You do know what "aberration" means, right?

Just Passin' By
12-15-2014, 02:52 PM
You do know what "aberration" means, right?

Yes. Do you know what timing means?

OldSchool
12-15-2014, 02:52 PM
I can't remember if it was the Cardinals game or yesterday (I think it was Arizona) but there was one play where he did exactly that. Scrambled around, was I assume going to run like he always does, and then he sort of chucked it downfield. And completed it. I was gobsmacked. At the time my instant reaction was that it was the best play I'd seen him make all year, just because he actually moved the ball down field.

Problem being, he only did it that one time...

He did it a second time in that game for a TD but the play was called back for BS OPI.

Watch the games, he doesn't throw it when he scrambles because the WRs often aren't open when he does and they suck at the scramble drill; they typically just start blocking or just quit on the play.

keg in kc
12-15-2014, 02:54 PM
Yes. Do you know what timing means?More than Alex Smith does, judging by his throws.

Just Passin' By
12-15-2014, 02:55 PM
More than Alex Smith does, judging by his throws.

Not likely, judging by your posts.

Hootie
12-15-2014, 02:55 PM
Yeah, I'm worried about your take on something football.

Rodgers made all the throws yesterday, and Wilson's an elite QB, right? LMAO

Rodgers always makes all of the throws. Always. He is the only person on the planet that can make certain throws he makes. It's incredible. That said, I'm one of the only ones on this board who will point out his one big flaw that prevents him from reaching the Manning/Brady level to this point.

And Wilson is without a doubt an elite NFL QB. If you think otherwise, you're an idiot.

He is, without a doubt, an elite NFL QB. It's not even a debate.

To this point, if you could only give the elite label to one guy and it had to be Russell Wilson or Andrew Luck, you'd have to choose Russell Wilson. You'd have to. Obviously, Luck has 'GOAT' ceiling that Wilson probably doesn't have...but Wilson is an incredible NFL QB.

It's funny that Tom Brady fans want to bash Russell Wilson but Tom Brady, during his actual run of winning Super Bowls, was less important to his team than Russell Wilson is to his team and everyone wants to talk about how Russell only wins because of his defense.

Just Passin' By
12-15-2014, 03:00 PM
Rodgers always makes all of the throws. Always.

Yesterday proves this wrong, making the rest of your post not worth reading.

keg in kc
12-15-2014, 03:00 PM
He did it a second time in that game for a TD but the play was called back for BS OPI.

Watch the games, he doesn't throw it when he scrambles because the WRs often aren't open when he does and they suck at the scramble drill; they typically just start blocking or just quit on the play.How could he have any idea whether his receivers are open or not? Once he decides to run that's almost all he ever tries to do. He doesn't generally move around in the pocket trying to buy time. He's running north/south as soon as there's pressure.

According to people who see more than what little the network coverage shows, whether they're watching live or somehow get game film, he regularly does have open receivers. Those of us watching CBS or Fox at home maybe see the receivers movements highlighted a handful of times a game. Which isn't really much to judge.

keg in kc
12-15-2014, 03:03 PM
Not likely, judging by your posts.It's almost admirable how hard you're trying despite how wrong you are.

Saccopoo
12-15-2014, 03:04 PM

Add to that that we lost All-Pro level players in Eric Berry and Derrick Johnson, our very solid RDE and starting LG. (McGlynn was so bad that Linkenbach looked All-Pro by comparison yesterday.)

Frankly, I'm amazed at how many we've won this year.

But dudes have to catch the balls. And they aren't. Every game someone is just flat out dropping footballs that hit them square in the hands.

And Dorsey deserves some degree of shit for it. Insane WR talent in the last draft and we pick up scraps in FA while drafting positions that were not even relevant (e.g., Ford, Murray).

Everyone knew what the problems were on this team - WR and OG.

They were not addressed and it's biting them in the ass.

Just Passin' By
12-15-2014, 03:07 PM
It's almost admirable how hard you're trying despite how wrong you are.

I'm not trying, and I'm not wrong. This is the easiest set of chuckles I'll have all week.

Rodgers is coming off the first 0 TDs 2 INT game of his career, and we've got posters like Hootie claiming that "Rodgers always makes all of the throws. Always." and that "And Wilson is without a doubt an elite NFL QB... To this point, if you could only give the elite label to one guy and it had to be Russell Wilson or Andrew Luck, you'd have to choose Russell Wilson. You'd have to. "

It's a comedy gold mine in here with this stuff.

ThaVirus
12-15-2014, 03:07 PM
Just Passin' By is an idiot. I don't think he's ever had a legitimate debate on this board.

FlaChief58
12-15-2014, 03:08 PM
If the oline can't give your QB more than a second of pocket protection, he can't see the play develop and the wr's don't have time to get open and it doesn't matter who your qb or wr's are. Sure, the best of the best can mask some deficiencies, but we don't have the best of the best. our skill position players need a good offensive line to be moderately successful.

Aspengc8
12-15-2014, 03:12 PM
I go to the games. Several on here look at the all-22. It's pretty clear that there are open receivers downfield quite a bit.
We have a QB, or a coaching staff, who won't take chances.

I have NFL Game Rewind subscription, which lets me watch the games condensed, and has A22 & endzone views. Sorter has posted quite a few pics showing Alex just going with the underneath read, when in fact someone was open a bit farther down the field. Sometimes he makes great reads, sometimes he has tunnel vision, sometimes he gets McGlynn'ed. There are a lot of factors at play to say its 100% on Alex, but we have seen a lot of receivers left down field..

the Talking Can
12-15-2014, 03:18 PM

and you should just not talk about QBs ever

Hootie
12-15-2014, 03:23 PM
Russell Wilson is pretty much exactly what Tom Brady was for the Patriots during their "dynasty" run of 3 Super Bowl's in 4 years.

To a T.

And we have a Patriots homer in here bashing Russell Wilson.

Hilarious.

Obviously, they play the QB position differently ... but if I could compare Russell's start to his NFL career to any guy in the NFL it's Tom Brady.

He was given the keys to a very well coached, very talented team and he took them to another level. A la Tom Brady.

But he's not elite?

Hahahaha. Right.

Sounds like you've never seen Russell Wilson play football.

And you're bashing Aaron Rodgers after 1 tough game in a tough environment against perhaps the best defense in the NFL?

Insane. Ridiculous. Everyone has a bad game. Tom had a tough game against KC. Peyton has had a tough month. Rodgers was terrible yesterday and terrible against Detroit early on.

Elite QB's have bad games. Sometimes it's on them, sometimes it isn't. It takes a team to win an NFL game, really helps having a stud QB, but even a stud QB can only go so far...winning championships is a total team effort.

You'd think the Patriots fans would know that, since it's been a decade since they won a Super Bowl, despite having Brady and Belichick that entire decade.

They were a lot better when they were the Patriots featuring Tom Brady rather than Brady & Belichick featuring the Patriots.

Once Belichick started trying to prove his genius by outsmarting the draft and Brady had to start putting up Manning-esque numbers to prove he was the best ... they stopped winning meaningful games. Hard to think that's a coincidence.

mikey23545
12-15-2014, 03:25 PM

And you are the little boy watching a football game for the first time and thinking it's all about the QB and unable to see anything else, fixated on "that guy with the the ball all the time".

Just Passin' By
12-15-2014, 03:28 PM
This thread was about receivers. The Chiefs are #14 in scoring in the NFL, even with this group of receivers. Which teams in the NFL have a worse group of receivers than the Chiefs? Are these receivers playing up to their potential? How much is the receiving corps helping, or hurting, the Chiefs? Those seem to be fair things to look at moving into the last two weeks of the regular season, yet people have to try making everything about Smith.

Smith's a middling QB who doesn't seem to make his teammates better. That's pretty much a given, so why does it have to get dragged into every football thread?

Frosty
12-15-2014, 03:31 PM
Just Passin' By is an idiot. I don't think he's ever had a legitimate debate on this board.

He's basically the Pats' version of Magic Hef stoppin' by to pat us on the head and tell us we Chiefs fans should like/agree with what we are getting.

Just Passin' By
12-15-2014, 03:37 PM
He's basically the Pats' version of Magic Hef stoppin' by to pat us on the head and tell us we Chiefs fans should like/agree with what we are getting.

I'm not sure where you're getting that from, but every football thread here eventually turns into "Alex Smith sucks!", and he's nowhere near the biggest problem the Chiefs have.

OldSchool
12-15-2014, 03:38 PM
This thread was about receivers. The Chiefs are #14 in scoring in the NFL, even with this group of receivers. Which teams in the NFL have a worse group of receivers than the Chiefs? Are these receivers playing up to their potential? How much is the receiving corps helping, or hurting, the Chiefs? Those seem to be fair things to look at moving into the last two weeks of the regular season, yet people have to try making everything about Smith.

Smith's a middling QB who doesn't seem to make his teammates better. That's pretty much a given, so why does it have to get dragged into every football thread?

The absolutely worst group of WRs is the Oakland Raiders.

That's the only group that I can think of that is clearly worse than what the Chiefs have at the position.

OldSchool
12-15-2014, 03:42 PM
I'm not sure where you're getting that from, but every football thread here eventually turns into "Alex Smith sucks!", and he's nowhere near the biggest problem the Chiefs have.

Well no shit. That's always going to be there because of a couple of things:

1. People are retarded.

2. He wasn't drafted by the Chiefs.

The OL could be even worse than it currently is (which is hard to imagine) and the Wr core could be even more pathetic, but people will still find a way to blame Smith for any offensive struggles.

kysirsoze
12-15-2014, 03:53 PM
Yes. Do you know what timing means?

What a totally irrelevant and inane argument.

Just Passin' By
12-15-2014, 03:58 PM
The absolutely worst group of WRs is the Oakland Raiders.

That's the only group that I can think of that is clearly worse than what the Chiefs have at the position.

Unlike the OP, I wouldn't say that it's all about the receivers. However, getting a slot WR, or hybrid slot/outside WR who gets separation fast and inside 10 yards, something like a Cruz/Welker/Edelman/Hawkins kind of player, would make a major difference for this offense, IMO.

kcxiv
12-15-2014, 03:59 PM
I'll always remember how Willie Davis and JJ Birden led the Chiefs to those playoff victories in '93. That QB they had... shit, what was his name... he didn't amount to anything without those guys.

U mean that qb that had his back broken and was so beat up already that he had to have his elbow drained just about every week in order to play. The same qb that only played to prove he had something left because he got kicked from his old team. That guy?

kcxiv
12-15-2014, 04:04 PM
Well no shit. That's always going to be there because of a couple of things:

1. People are retarded.

2. He wasn't drafted by the Chiefs.

The OL could be even worse than it currently is (which is hard to imagine) and the Wr core could be even more pathetic, but people will still find a way to blame Smith for any offensive struggles.

It has more to do with he sucked with his old team and their coach got rid of him as soon. As he possibly could. The same quarterback who's never had a 1000 yard receiver on his team. You do realize that there isn't one legit wide receiver in the NFL that would ever sign to play with Alex smith because they would instantly have the worst year of their career?

ModSocks
12-15-2014, 04:09 PM
I You do realize that there isn't one legit wide receiver in the NFL that would ever sign to play with Alex smith because they would instantly have the worst year of their career?

Oh sure, Mr. Glass half empty.

But could you imagine the arsenal or pass catching RB's we could acquire? Ever think about that? Hrmmmm?

Hootie
12-15-2014, 04:30 PM
Our offense simply doesn't utilize receivers, at all.

We could have drafted OBJ, Mike Evans and Kelvin Benjamin this year and we probably still wouldn't have more than a handful of TD's to WR's this year.

OBJ had 3 (almost 4) in 1 game yesterday.