PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs What's the biggest problem with the Chiefs offense?

BossChief
12-16-2014, 11:05 AM
I know there has been a lot of talk about this topic and I just want to see what the majority of the people here think the biggest issue is that causes the offense to underperform.

TEX
12-16-2014, 11:06 AM
OL

threebag
12-16-2014, 11:07 AM
play calling, execution, oline sucks, receivers are lack luster

Sorter
12-16-2014, 11:07 AM
Inb4 pole.

WhiteWhale
12-16-2014, 11:08 AM
Andy Reid's stupid obsession with throwing even when it's not effective while at the same time forgetting the best RB in the NFL plays for his team.

ModSocks
12-16-2014, 11:08 AM
O-line followed by QB. Receiving options is a distant 3rd IMO.

threebag
12-16-2014, 11:09 AM
bowe gets paid the big bucks to drag his feet in bounds.

The Franchise
All of the above.

If I had to rank them though.

1. Offensive Line
2. QB
3. Playcalling
4. WRs

ModSocks
Andy Reid's stupid obsession with throwing even when it's not effective.

His only other option is to run it even when it's not effective. Not sure if you've been paying attention lately, but the running lanes simply haven't been there. And they won't be there until the Chiefs develop a passing game.

ModSocks
12-16-2014, 11:10 AM

And far more often than not, he does.

Matter of fact, just shut your face troll.

The Franchise
12-16-2014, 11:10 AM

Alex Smith gets paid the big bucks to throw the ball accurately.

HC_Chief
12-16-2014, 11:11 AM
They are one-dimensional. There are several factors which play into that; main two being lack of talent at WR and a playbook filled with dump-offs & WR screens. Without a vertical threat, defenses will stack the box, stuff the run, and jump short routes. God help you if you fall behind...a one-dimensional offense, whose one working dimension is the running game, is typically doomed when the D gives up a lead greater than 7 points.

In58men
12-16-2014, 11:12 AM
Alex Smith

BossChief
O-line followed by QB. Receiving options is a distant 3rd IMO.

I have to agree with this

Hudson Fisher and Harris are the only guys that should even be on an nfl team IMO. Our guards are just horrendous and they constantly force the other three guys try to compensate for them, leading to all sorts of problems.

scho63
OL

First answer = best answer! :thumb:

BossChief

And not be a pussy

threebag
12-16-2014, 11:13 AM

better go use that trunk to shove some hay up your ass

Sully
12-16-2014, 11:16 AM
Philosophy

BigMeatballDave
12-16-2014, 11:17 AM
Jamaal Charles.

Bum.

Cut him.

BossChief
12-16-2014, 11:17 AM
I also think that Alex Smiths inability to check out of certain plays presnap or help adjust protections paired with his unwillingness to stretch defenses makes the job of the OL a lot harder.

So does the unbalanced play calling.

Those guys are having to deal with 8 and 9 men in the box every week.

Hog's Gone Fishin
12-16-2014, 11:18 AM
Our single biggest problem is the fact that we HAVE to throw the ball down the field. It needs to be done at least 5-7 times a game. The reason Our O-Line looks so bad at times is because defenses are overloading the box. And with the loss to Oakland they just put 2-3 guys on Charles. Throwing the ball downfield takes care of this. Plus there have been tons of times that Bowe or another receiver is wide fucking open but AS is looking to throw short.

WhiteWhale
12-16-2014, 11:18 AM
His only other option is to run it even when it's not effective. Not sure if you've been paying attention lately, but the running lanes simply haven't been there. And they won't be there until the Chiefs develop a passing game.

KC RB's had 91 yards on 22 attempts against Oakland weeks ago. Over 4 YPC

KC's RB's had 35 yards on 10 carries against the Broncos. Bad game all around by the offense.

Against Arizona charles had 91 yards on 10 carries... the team managed 100 yards on 13 carries.

KC lost all three games, and I'd say the run game was ineffective in one of those games. It simply wasn't utilized enough.

In most games, the run game works because Jamaal is a bad ass. Of course the passing game NEEDS to be more effective, but unless we get a new OL, new WR's, and a different QB (which won't happen this season) it's probably best to utilize the strengths of the team Reid has rather than the one he wishes he had. I suppose this was a personnel question, but I took it differently because changing personnel is not an option.

Hog's Gone Fishin
12-16-2014, 11:19 AM
Alex Gibbs philosophy was you have to throw downfield at least twice each Qtr.

The Franchise
12-16-2014, 11:21 AM

KC's RB's had 35 yards on 10 carries against the Broncos. Bad game all around by the offense.

Against Arizona charles had 91 yards on 10 carries... the team managed 100 yards on 13 carries.

KC lost all three games, and I'd say the run game was ineffective in one of those games. It simply wasn't utilized enough.

Take away his longest run of 63 yards in that AZ game and he was averaging just a little north of 3 YPC. Defenses are stacking the box and forcing Alex to beat them. Charles can break a long one...sure. But it's not going to happen all the time.

RunKC
12-16-2014, 11:40 AM
I also think that Alex Smiths inability to check out of certain plays presnap or help adjust protections paired with his unwillingness to stretch defenses makes the job of the OL a lot harder.

Nothing exemplifies this more than this play right here.

https://cdn1.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/F5H-mvNJFAo7MgkGNwWwbSGamhQ=/600x0/filters:no_upscale()/assets.sbnation.com/uploads/chorus_asset/file/2534592/4.0.png

How the hell do you not go to Charles when he's matched up with a LB in the open field? Shouldn't any QB be able to read this defense pre-snap and think "there's no way this LB can stay with the best RB in the flat on the route we have set up for him."

My gf even read that pre-snap from the fucking couch and we all saw Alex fuck it up.

And this is what was missed. This probably would have won us the game.

https://cdn1.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/GmKjzbss6UijgkbkXafO1YdBH1g=/600x0/filters:no_upscale()/assets.sbnation.com/uploads/chorus_asset/file/2534602/6.0.png

Mr. Laz
12-16-2014, 11:43 AM
Its all of it

Oline is shitty
QB is scared
WR's are mediocre
coaching doesn't demand more

HemiEd
12-16-2014, 11:45 AM
Our single biggest problem is the fact that we HAVE to throw the ball down the field. It needs to be done at least 5-7 times a game. The reason Our O-Line looks so bad at times is because defenses are overloading the box. And with the loss to Oakland they just put 2-3 guys on Charles. Throwing the ball downfield takes care of this. Plus there have been tons of times that Bowe or another receiver is wide ****ing open but AS is looking to throw short.

Well said and glad to see you are still around after the Manziel showing. It was a concern.

Coogs
12-16-2014, 11:47 AM
Chances are Smith would have missed Charles with the pass anyway. Case in point, remember how he missed a wide open DAT(?) for a sure TD Sunday against the Faid.

Mr. Laz
12-16-2014, 11:49 AM
Our single biggest problem is the fact that we HAVE to throw the ball down the field. It needs to be done at least 5-7 times a game. The reason Our O-Line looks so bad at times is because defenses are overloading the box. And with the loss to Oakland they just put 2-3 guys on Charles. Throwing the ball downfield takes care of this. Plus there have been tons of times that Bowe or another receiver is wide fucking open but AS is looking to throw short.

So why don't we throw the ball down field more often?

because...

1. Oline can't protect lone enough
2. WRs can't get open down field consistently or quickly enough
3. QB doesn't try
4. coach doesn't call down field passes enough
5. All of the above

Mr. Laz
12-16-2014, 11:50 AM
Chances are Smith would have missed Charles with the pass anyway. Case in point, remember how he missed a wide open DAT(?) for a sure TD Sunday against the Faid.

Brees missed the same pass yesterday

KC native
12-16-2014, 11:51 AM
Mark Castle Sorry, Alice Smiff

Perineum Ripper
12-16-2014, 11:58 AM
All of the above.

1. Offensive Line
2. QB
3. Playcalling
4. WRs

I might flip 2 and 3 but this is pretty much it

Coogs
12-16-2014, 12:02 PM
Brees missed the same pass yesterday

I'm sorry. I guess I was a little to rough on Smith. My apologies.

Ebolapox
12-16-2014, 12:04 PM
we've got 99 problems and alex smith being a bitch (who won't throw more than a three yard out, who is his primary read) is definitely one of them.

ModSocks
12-16-2014, 12:07 PM

In most games, the run game works because Jamaal is a bad ass. Of course the passing game NEEDS to be more effective, but unless we get a new OL, new WR's, and a different QB (which won't happen this season) it's probably best to utilize the strengths of the team Reid has rather than the one he wishes he had. I suppose this was a personnel question, but I took it differently because changing personnel is not an option.

The box score stats you listed barely tell a mere portion of the story.

Lets take a closer look:

KC @ Oak: 20-89; 4.4YPC

DEN @ KC: 10-35; 3.5YPC

KC @ AZ: (Minus the 63 Yard run outlier) 10-32; 3.2 YPC

OAK @ KC: 21-63; 3YPC

Notice a trend?

That's about 3.5 YPC over the course of a 4 game stretch.

That's a pattern. And the pattern says that our running game has not been effective. And simply bashing your head into a brickwall hoping that the brickwall breaks isn't a great idea.

Bottom line is that the Chiefs have to throw the ball in order for their ground game to become a effective again.

ModSocks
12-16-2014, 12:13 PM
So why don't we throw the ball down field more often?

because...

1. Oline can't protect lone enough
2. WRs can't get open down field consistently or quickly enough
3. QB doesn't try
4. coach doesn't call down field passes enough
5. All of the above

Systematic problem that starts from the O-line and trickles down.

If the O-line can pass protect for a second or two longer, giving the WR's more time to get open, giving Smith more time to throw and alters his internal clock so he feels comfortable actually sitting in the pocket, allowing the coaches to call more plays designed to go down field.

RunKC
12-16-2014, 12:15 PM

If the O-line can pass protect for a second or two longer, giving the WR's more time to get open, giving Smith more time to throw and alters his internal clock so he feels comfortable actually sitting in the pocket, allowing the coaches to call more plays designed to go down field.

Which is exactly what we saw last Sunday.

ThaVirus
12-16-2014, 12:28 PM
All of the above.

1. Offensive Line
2. QB
3. Playcalling
4. WRs

Here's the winner.

SAUTO
12-16-2014, 12:30 PM
Here's the winner.

yep

MahiMike
12-16-2014, 12:39 PM
I just want to know how guys like Emmanuel Sanders, Odell Beckham and every Eagle seems to be running wide ass open.

The Franchise
12-16-2014, 12:51 PM
I just want to know how guys like Emmanuel Sanders, Odell Beckham and every Eagle seems to be running wide ass open.

A multitude of reasons. Scheme, talent, QB.....

FringeNC
12-16-2014, 12:51 PM
I think without a doubt the O-line is. Having said that, the Chiefs offense isn't all that bad. When we have a decent 3rd down conversion rate, it's pretty good.

Reason why we're struggling for a playoff spot is the D is incredibly unlucky. We're last in the league in take-aways. We only have 4 INTs the whole year. 4! Had we caught a decent number of the balls DBs had in their hands, we'd have 2-3 more wins.

Rain Man
12-16-2014, 12:53 PM
It's a kind of weird situation where you can't blame just one, but all have some fault. I think a good passing attack requires all of these areas to be strong, and it's a multiplying effect, not an adding one. Unless they're all strong, the result won't be strong, and if they're all humdrum the result is what we've got.

I'm become far less inclined to blame the receivers as time goes on, because I don't see them even getting looked at before the checkdowns.

ModSocks
12-16-2014, 12:54 PM

We seem to have guys run "wide ass open" too. You see theirs more than ours because their QB finds them.

Our QB is rarely allotted the time to find them, and when he is, he's too nervous to stand in and deliver.

The Franchise
12-16-2014, 12:55 PM
I think without a doubt the O-line is. Having said that, the Chiefs offense isn't all that bad. When we have a decent 3rd down conversion rate, it's pretty good.

Reason why we're struggling for a playoff spot is the D is incredibly unlucky. We're last in the league in take-aways. We only have 4 INTs the whole year. 4! Had we caught a decent number of the balls DBs had in their hands, we'd have 2-3 more wins.

:spock:

Seriously?

jd1020
12-16-2014, 12:56 PM
The fact that it exists.

The entire thing needs be burned in an AIDS fire.

Window Licking Whiner
12-16-2014, 12:58 PM
Not enough " Play to win the game"

Too much : 'cakn padna'

Followed closely by: "Evaluating for next season"

Lzen
12-16-2014, 12:59 PM

Lets take a closer look:

Notice a trend?

That's a pattern. And the pattern says that our running game has not been effective. And simply bashing your head into a brickwall hoping that the brickwall breaks isn't a great idea.

Bottom line is that the Chiefs have to throw the ball in order for their ground game to become a effective again.

I agree with this.

But there is something that really annoys me when the announcers talk about the Chiefs putrid passing game every week. They always mention Smith being a game manager and not throwing downfield. They also mention that the WRs are not very good as a group over all. But the one factor that they always forget to mention is the pass blocking. And that, to me, is the biggest reason for the terrible ranking in passing. That a big reason that the Chiefs utilize the short passing and don't throw deep. They simply don't normally have the time to throw it deep.

Now I did notice that with McGlynn not being in there last week the pass blocking looked much improved. I watched the LG on quite a few plays and I thought Linkenbaugh actually did a decent job. My only question is how bad did Linkenbaugh have to be in practice to not be able to beat out a horrible pass blocker in McGlynn?

FringeNC
12-16-2014, 12:59 PM
:spock:

Seriously?

5.4 yards per play on offense isn't good, but it's hardly terrible either. Puts us in the middle of the league. Don't let data get into the way of your opinion, though.

The Franchise
12-16-2014, 01:00 PM
5.4 yards per play on offense isn't good, but it's hardly terrible either. Puts us in the middle of the league. Don't let data get into the way of your opinion, though.

It was more about how our offense sucks because our defense doesn't create turnovers.

Lzen
12-16-2014, 01:00 PM

This guy gets it. :thumb:

Frosty
12-16-2014, 01:03 PM
Now I did notice that with McGlynn not being in there last week the pass blocking looked much improved. I watched the LG on quite a few plays and I thought Linkenbaugh actually did a decent job. My only question is how bad did Linkenbaugh have to be in practice to not be able to beat out a horrible pass blocker in McGlynn?

McGoo was Andy's guy from Philly. As long as the Chiefs were winning, I guess he wanted to stay with his guy. It took a three game losing streak to finally get him on the bench. That's part of why I put coaching as #2.

1. OL
2. Coaching
3. QB
4. WR

Rexx
12-16-2014, 01:03 PM
I think it's a combination of OL and Smith. I was thinking it was all OL until I attended the AZ and was able to see the entire secondary. There are people open when he scrambles but for some reason will not throw the damn ball.

Chief Roundup
12-16-2014, 01:04 PM

Is that the reason that our D is in the top 10 while our O is in the bottom 10?

FringeNC
12-16-2014, 01:04 PM

Lets take a closer look:

Notice a trend?

That's right, and that's why there was the change at LG.

RunKC
12-16-2014, 01:05 PM
Notice how the loss of Donnie Avery hurt this team this year compared to what he gave us last year.

This team needs to do the following in order.

1. Is there a QB in the draft that is worth taking? (doesn't look like it this year)

if not than follow these steps.

2. A. Find a good OL to bring in via FA and the draft
2. B. Find some WR's with speed like Avery that can catch the damn ball.

And yes Reid is an issue, but that sure as hell aint goin nowhere.

FringeNC
12-16-2014, 01:06 PM
Is that the reason that our D is in the top 10 while our O is in the bottom 10?

Not my point. The D is better than the O; there's no doubt about that. My point is the D has been unlucky with respective to TOs. Shockingly unlucky.

Edit: in other words, this team is better than their record.

ChiefsChoke010414
12-16-2014, 01:15 PM

Then how does Charles happen to have the all time YPC mark? Because the passing game has never really been there during his career.

Reid is just not patient enough with the running game to stick with it and give Charles or Davis the opportunity to break a big one.

To answer the OP's question, the number one reason the offense isn't average is the offensive line. The number one reason they aren't and will never be elite in today's NFL, is the QB position.

BeeHo
12-16-2014, 01:17 PM
Not my point. The D is better than the O; there's no doubt about that. My point is the D has been unlucky with respective to TOs. Shockingly unlucky.

Edit: in other words, this team is better than their record.

You are right:

Last year: +18 takeaway differential, ranked 1st

This year: -5 , ranked 23rd

The Franchise
12-16-2014, 01:17 PM
Then how does Charles happen to have the all time YPC mark? Because the passing game has never really been there during his career.

Reid is just not patient enough with the running game to stick with it and give Charles or Davis the opportunity to break a big one.

To answer the OP's question, the number one reason the offense isn't average is the offensive line. The number one reason they aren't and will never be elite in today's NFL, is the QB position.

Matt Cassel threw down the field. He didn't do it accurately....but he'd at least fucking do it.

ModSocks
12-16-2014, 01:20 PM

Because he's amazing when given a crease?

Those creases haven't been there. Yeah, we've had a lot of shitty teams over the years that couldn't pass. But this historically bad? And even then, our running game was still stronger.

Not only that, but JC's YPC has gone down this year....And when you watch him run, he hasn't seemed to have lost a step or any burst....which only leaves one conclusion.

Last year's O-line was far better than this years...and it shows in both the pass and run.

Jimmya
12-16-2014, 01:22 PM
This morning on NFL radio they were discussing QB's in the league that needed to prove their value. #1 was Jay Cutler / #2 was Andy Dalton / #3 was Alex Smith

ChiefsChoke010414
12-16-2014, 01:22 PM
Matt Cassel threw down the field. He didn't do it accurately....but he'd at least ****ing do it.

Yeah it'd be nice to occasionally stretch the defense out or make them think about a deep ball, but you still need deep threat receivers for that.

Teams will continue to man cover and stack the box even if they feel you might throw it deep to some scrub. No one will fear the receivers we have on this roster. The sad thing is that guys like Avery and Jenkins actually have speed, but even when they were healthy, the Chiefs wouldn't throw it to them deep. Then again, there's more to the deep ball than just being fast.

Pablo
12-16-2014, 01:24 PM
All of the above.

1. Offensive Line
2. QB
3. Playcalling
4. WRsThis is the correct answer.

I'd give them something like a 30/25/25/20 split if I had to.

ModSocks
12-16-2014, 01:24 PM
This morning on NFL radio they were discussing QB's in the league that needed to prove their value. #1 was Jay Cutler / #2 was Andy Dalton / #3 was Alex Smith

I'd put both Smith and Kaep before Dalton.

ChiefsChoke010414
12-16-2014, 01:25 PM
Because he's amazing when given a crease?

Those creases haven't been there. Yeah, we've had a lot of shitty teams over the years that couldn't pass. But this historically bad? And even then, our running game was still stronger.

Not only that, but JC's YPC has gone down this year....And when you watch him run, he hasn't seemed to have lost a step or any burst....which only leaves one conclusion.

Last year's O-line was far better than this years...and it shows in both the pass and run.

The line was better last year, but Charles is still 2nd in YPC among backs in 2014. I wouldn't call that a huge dropoff, even though his YPC is down.

I'd like to see a stat that shows what his YPC has been over the course of the season, to see if it's gotten worse game by game. But overall, with a 5.0 YPC, I'd say we need to run more often.

ModSocks
12-16-2014, 01:27 PM
Yeah it'd be nice to occasionally stretch the defense out or make them think about a deep ball, but you still need deep threat receivers for that.

Teams will continue to man cover and stack the box even if they feel you might throw it deep to some scrub. No one will fear the receivers we have on this roster. The sad thing is that guys like Avery and Jenkins actually have speed, but even when they were healthy, the Chiefs wouldn't throw it to them deep. Then again, there's more to the deep ball than just being fast.

Our Receivers can get open deep. But Smith doesn't have the accuracy and the O-line won't hold up long enough for it to matter.

The coaches aren't going to draw up down field plays until the O-line can prove that they can actually hold their blocks long enough for the routes to develop.

ModSocks
12-16-2014, 01:27 PM
The line was better last year, but Charles is still 2nd in YPC among backs in 2014. I wouldn't call that a huge dropoff, even though his YPC is down.

I'd like to see a stat that shows what his YPC has been over the course of the season, to see if it's gotten worse game by game. But overall, with a 5.0 YPC, I'd say we need to run more often.

The running game hasn't been getting 5 YPC for quite some time now.

Pablo
12-16-2014, 01:29 PM
No 'John Dorsey doesn't know what the fuck he's doing' option?

ModSocks
12-16-2014, 01:31 PM
No 'John Dorsey doesn't know what the **** he's doing' option?

No definitive evidence of that.

loochy
12-16-2014, 01:35 PM
All of the above.

1. Offensive Line
2. QB
3. Playcalling
4. WRs

you stole my post!

Exactly this.

CoMoChief
12-16-2014, 01:37 PM
collectively all 4 points that are listed...its not just 1 thing

Discuss Thrower
12-16-2014, 01:43 PM
No definitive evidence of that.

Trade for a QB and then sign a bunch of free agents on 1 year contracts to contend for a wildcard berth.

Then let the majority of these free agents walk next year and fail to address the holes created by these departures in addition to ones that became obvious problems during the course of the previous season.

Eleazar
12-16-2014, 03:27 PM
Well, for all the loudness of the Alex haters, at least most people realize that the o-line is the biggest issue.

Only 22% think Alex Smith is the problem with the offense. To read this website, you'd think it was near 100%

jLoy88
12-16-2014, 03:35 PM
1) Offensive Line
2) Playcalling (Horrible use of our offensive weapons)
3) Wide Receivers - I've never seen a more butterfingered group of players.
4) Defensive backs allergic to interceptions
5) QB.

Fix the first 4 and they're contenders.

Window Licking Whiner
12-16-2014, 03:37 PM
How many years do the Chiefs have to draft OL in the top 5 for you guys to realize it isn't the fucking oline?

Chief Roundup
12-16-2014, 03:38 PM
I voted for the OL but the more I have thought about this I would like to change my vote. To me it all comes back to COACHING.
Our OL has not improved in fact they have regressed or at least cannot play consistently.- COACHING
Our play calling has been very subject.- COACHING
Our WRs are not playing very well and the young guys have not really improved much.- COACHING
Alex Smith-COACHING....Reid had to have him.

keg in kc
12-16-2014, 03:40 PM
As basically everyone else has already said, it isn't just one thing.

And most of the problems are the kind that make the other problems even worse.

MTG#10
12-16-2014, 03:46 PM
Offensive line is the obvious choice, so I picked the #2 reason - play calling.

Pablo
12-16-2014, 03:54 PM
Well, for all the loudness of the Alex haters, at least most people realize that the o-line is the biggest issue.

Only 22% think Alex Smith is the problem with the offense. To read this website, you'd think it was near 100%No, everyone that has a functioning brain thinks that Alex Smith is a problem. He's going to get hammered because he plays the most important position in all of sports, is the face of your franchise, and makes the most money of anyone on the team. He certainly isn't part of the solution for this team.

He deserves all the shit slung his way.

ThaVirus
12-16-2014, 04:07 PM
Gauging an offensive line that blocks for Jamaal Charles is tough to do. He's fucking amazing. This line is absolute shit and yet he still averages 5.2 YPC. Off the top of my head, the only back with a higher YPC average is Forsett.

Knile Davis is averaging less than 4 YPC behind the same line.

keg in kc
12-16-2014, 04:18 PM

Only 22% think Alex Smith is the problem with the offense. To read this website, you'd think it was near 100%If the "alex haters" really bother you that much, then you might be looking specifically for their responses in order to react to them. I know I do that sometimes (re: other topics).

Pablo
12-16-2014, 04:23 PM
Gauging an offensive line that blocks for Jamaal Charles is tough to do. He's fucking amazing. This line is absolute shit and yet he still averages 5.2 YPC. Off the top of my head, the only back with a higher YPC average is Forsett.

Knile Davis is averaging less than 4 YPC behind the same line.Yeah, Jamaal would make any line look like a competent run-blocking unit. Although, I do love Reid continually trying to kill his effectiveness by slamming him up the middle over and over.

The pass-protection for this group is just horrifyingly bad at times. There's no denying that. Dorsey thought that his #1 pick and Alex could work it all out this season apparently. Good call.

chiefzilla1501
12-16-2014, 04:42 PM

This is what I keep coming back to. Do people think an OL actually solves our problems on offense? If the answer is no, then they're not the main part of the problem.

The problem is that Alex Smith plays down to the competition and he has no ability to close games. If the defense gives up 30, he'll put up 30. If they give up 15, he'll put up 15. The biggest problem with the offense is that the defense is good. That sounds backwards as fuck so I'll just then chalk it up to the QB that for some reason needs his back to the wall to actually play aggressively.

ThaVirus
12-16-2014, 05:05 PM
Yeah, Jamaal would make any line look like a competent run-blocking unit. Although, I do love Reid continually trying to kill his effectiveness by slamming him up the middle over and over.

The pass-protection for this group is just horrifyingly bad at times. There's no denying that. Dorsey thought that his #1 pick and Alex could work it all out this season apparently. Good call.

It's the damnedest thing.

Reid never sends DAT up the middle. Every time that guy gets a carry its outside the tackles.

It'd be nice if he mixed it up for Jamaal and ran him outside more often.

Aspengc8
12-16-2014, 06:20 PM

Reid never sends DAT up the middle. Every time that guy gets a carry its outside the tackles.

That's because most teams that know what they are doing would walk a safety down into the wide side alley and make jamaal run in between the tackles. They know how bad our oline is, and how Alex will take the safe (short) read, so why not stack the box? This is why Andy tries to throw so much and CP jumps in with the 'horrendous playcall' BS..

Rausch
12-16-2014, 06:23 PM
Line
WR's
GM
Smith
Reid...

O.city
12-16-2014, 07:13 PM
Terrible guard in mcglynn. Replace him with a good player, get a wr or two, make smith throw the ball.

RunKC
12-16-2014, 07:22 PM

Amazing that Reid won't continue what works.

http://giant.gfycat.com/FrequentDistantGuanaco.gif

Bearcat
12-16-2014, 07:24 PM
No, everyone that has a functioning brain thinks that Alex Smith is a problem. He's going to get hammered because he plays the most important position in all of sports, is the face of your franchise, and makes the most money of anyone on the team. He certainly isn't part of the solution for this team.

He deserves all the shit slung his way.

If the "alex haters" really bother you that much, then you might be looking specifically for their responses in order to react to them. I know I do that sometimes (re: other topics).

These.

Around here the offensive line has been the go to for years... "casual fans always point to the QB, but I'm smart and know it all starts with the offensive line!"

Of course, they are that terrible this year.

O.city
12-16-2014, 07:33 PM
How much better was the chiefs pass game with lincheknaback or whatever is name is at LG this week?

Rausch
12-16-2014, 07:38 PM
These.

Around here the offensive line has been the go to for years... "casual fans always point to the QB, but I'm smart and know it all starts with the offensive line!"

Of course, they are that terrible this year.

If you have a great QB and average O line you're fine.

If you have an average QB and great O line you're fine.

If you have a $3it QB or $#it O line you're fucked...

Rausch
12-16-2014, 07:39 PM
How much better was the chiefs pass game with lincheknaback or whatever is name is at LG this week?

Didn't start all that great but I didn't notice any HUGE fails in blocking either. I'm sure they were there, we still have a very bad line, but it wasn't immediate failure...

Dinny Bossa Nova
12-16-2014, 08:32 PM
That's because most teams that know what they are doing would walk a safety down into the wide side alley and make jamaal run in between the tackles. They know how bad our oline is, and how Alex will take the safe (short) read, so why not stack the box? This is why Andy tries to throw so much and CP jumps in with the 'horrendous playcall' BS..

You seem really hot to me right now, in a Sorter kinda way.

I shall now rep thee with my field-mouseian rep stick.

Dinny

ThaVirus
12-16-2014, 09:16 PM
Amazing that Reid won't continue what works.

http://giant.gfycat.com/FrequentDistantGuanaco.gif

LMAO

DAT appears to be a damn good blocker!

ThaVirus
12-16-2014, 09:19 PM
Thanks for that gif, by the way. I love me some gifs. I'll watch them 10 times in a row and dissect every player on our team.

What in the balls was Ryan Harris doing? There's no way he would be able to block upfield for Jamaal; he's just not fast enough. Seemed we would have been better off if he turned around and tried to seal off anyone from the backside pursuit. He was in good position to take the DL that helped make the tackle out of the play.

I'm really just nitpicking but it makes me wonder.

Frosty
12-16-2014, 09:22 PM
LMAO

DAT appears to be a damn good blocker!

If you played offense for Chip Kelly at Oregon, you had better know how to block.

Frosty
12-16-2014, 09:24 PM
It's about 99% certain we are going to have Smith at QB for at least the next three years so you need to do what is necessary for him to be as successful as possible. The first thing to do would be to severely upgrade the o-line.

The next would be to get him some more tight ends, running backs and fullbacks to throw to.

O.city
12-16-2014, 09:26 PM
Some of the worst guard play in the league this year. At least Fulton is a rookie who seems to be getting better though I guess.

BossChief
12-16-2014, 09:31 PM
It's about 99% certain we are going to have Smith at QB for at least the next three years so you need to do what is necessary for him to be as successful as possible. The first thing to do would be to severely upgrade the o-line.

The next would be to get him some more tight ends, running backs and fullbacks to throw to.

Reid won't just keep playing ANYONE unless they deserve it.

Look at his history.

Frosty
12-16-2014, 09:40 PM
Reid won't just keep playing ANYONE unless they deserve it.

Look at his history.

Pipedream. Alex is Reid's handpicked QB and just gave up two premium picks for him plus a big contract. He is going to do everything possible to make Alex as successful as possible.

And I know there is an out in Smith's contract after this season but it would come with a hefty cap hit that would hamstring the Chiefs in getting Houston signed and getting some FAs.

Eleazar
12-16-2014, 09:51 PM
How many years do the Chiefs have to draft OL in the top 5 for you guys to realize it isn't the ****ing oline?

How many times have we done that?

Anyway, to answer the question... I suppose I will be convinced the oline isn't the problem when there aren't free rushers every time the QB drops back

Reerun_KC
12-16-2014, 10:26 PM
80% of its Reid. 20% Smith.

Reid is garbage.

Ragged Robin
12-16-2014, 10:36 PM
the receivers are almost as bad as the o-line

jonzie04
12-16-2014, 10:39 PM
O line by far

Sweet Daddy Hate
12-17-2014, 04:47 AM
Smith's regression to scurred bitch puts him at the top, followed by Fatass McSchizo and his Chinese phone book of plays.

Then comes O-line and WR.

Coochie liquor
12-17-2014, 05:33 AM
I just hope our WR and OL coaches are let go after this season. Those 2 areas are tee wrecks and they are regressing.

Aspengc8
12-17-2014, 06:29 AM
Running game problems: Oline is very 'meh' at best. Fasano & Kelce not really setting the edge well when they are playside.

Passing game: Smith's alarm clock goes off too early, throws the underneath read even if they are covered or next level is open.

just my $.02 from watching replays.

milkman
12-17-2014, 10:21 AM
Am I the only that reads the poll question that wonders, with all these shortcomings, how the hell does anyone think they are underperforming?

RunKC
12-17-2014, 10:37 AM
The OL is a known, but this right here is what this offense hasn't had all year and it should be the biggest need of the offseason.

http://kissingsuzykolber.uproxx.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/alexconvert.gif

Has anyone seen this play ran effectively this year by a speed receiver? We've ran it a few times with Kelce and tried with DAT, but Avery is an experienced route runner with speed.

We need guys who can get open fast and can get the quick YAC on a dime. DAT is the closest thing we have and he's still learning how to play WR and run routes.

ThaVirus
12-17-2014, 10:52 AM
The OL is a known, but this right here is what this offense hasn't had all year and it should be the biggest need of the offseason.

http://kissingsuzykolber.uproxx.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/alexconvert.gif

Has anyone seen this play ran effectively this year by a speed receiver? We've ran it a few times with Kelce and tried with DAT, but Avery is an experienced route runner with speed.

We need guys who can get open fast and can get the quick YAC on a dime. DAT is the closest thing we have and he's still learning how to play WR and run routes.

Without double checking, I think that's the a similar type of play we ran to Bowe on that 3rd and 19 in Arizona.

The blocking wasn't near as good on the play to Bowe this year but he made it work himself.

O.city
12-17-2014, 10:55 AM
It's a wr screen on 3rd and 20. Of course he gets open quick, the DBS are turni and running at the snap.

JENKINSWINS
12-17-2014, 11:05 AM

The guy that replaced him in SF and was supposed to be able to carry a team missed passes to wide open Boldin and Vernon Davis, Sunday against the Seahawks.

ThaVirus
12-17-2014, 11:11 AM
The guy that replaced him in SF and was supposed to be able to carry a team missed passes to wide open Boldin and Vernon Davis, Sunday against the Seahawks.

We don't care.

RunKC
12-17-2014, 11:21 AM
It's a wr screen on 3rd and 20. Of course he gets open quick, the DBS are turni and running at the snap.

You're not getting it. Here's another example.

http://giant.gfycat.com/HarmlessBewitchedGoitered.gif

when teams blitz you need a guy who can get open fast and take advantage. Yes Alex hasn't read some of these and adjusted, but you're foolish if you think we have anyone who can do this consistently.

AJ Jenkins sucks and can't get run routes this year. He's not the guy. And Avery sucks too.
We need a fast type of WR (or two) who can run routes well and get YAC in a hurry.

Bowe has been great, but most of the year teams doubled him and we didn't have anyone else to go to. Next year add someone with Bowe and it will be much better.

Jakemall
12-17-2014, 11:33 AM

How does Alex rank on Accuracy this year?

Jakemall
12-17-2014, 11:36 AM
Am I the only that reads the poll question that wonders, with all these shortcomings, how the hell does anyone think they are underperforming?

who is they?

Frosty
12-17-2014, 11:36 AM
I, too, have wondered where that underneath crossing pattern went.

BTW, 99 is hilarious in the above clip.

Frosty
12-17-2014, 11:37 AM
How does Alex rank on Accuracy this year?

It's got to be low. He is constantly throwing behind the receivers on the short passes and overthrowing the longer ones.

ViperVisor
12-17-2014, 11:38 AM
Offensive Line.

This info is a week old.

Smith's avg time to when he attempts a pass is 2.42 seconds

Why?
Because,
58% of the time Smith's dropbacks are 2.5 seconds or less.

Why?
Because Reid and Co. saw how utter crap the O-Line played all summer and preseason.
The offense has been put into a box by this first and foremost.
Only have been sacked 4 times during these quick dropbacks.

But hasn't Smith been sacked 38 times? Yes.
So we know 42% of the dropbacks have been 2.6 seconds or longer. And 34 sacks.

42% is under 200 dropbacks and 34 sacks.
Smith is getting sacked slightly more than 1 out of every 6 dropbacks he doesn't throw in 2.5 seconds.

Is he holding the ball way too long? No, not really.
The avg time to all his sacks is 3.40 seconds.

Comparison to a few other QBs sacks
Kaepernick 3.77
Rodgers 4.07
or the worst Geno 4.43

http://i.imgur.com/pnKbt2Al.jpg (http://imgur.com/pnKbt2A)

Remember the pass Smith couldn't make on the mark to Bowe for about 15 yards Sunday? Pressure was pushed into Smith in the form of Fisher. Throw was a little off and Bowe couldn't adjust to it.

Game 1 @ OAK didn't get to Carr much.
SF @ OAK didn't get to Carr much.
Sunday you get to Carr and he failed all over the place.

PIT has had little success getting sacks this year. KC has Houston and a nice rush. If that plays out KC has a good chance to win.

Jakemall
12-17-2014, 11:45 AM
It's got to be low. He is constantly throwing behind the receivers on the short passes and overthrowing the longer ones.

I remember hearing the opposite...but wasn't sure.

BossChief
12-17-2014, 11:47 AM
But Alex doesn't take that time to assess the options to throw deep...

Everyone here sees this OL is crap, most knew it before the season started.