PDA

View Full Version : Life Farewell Eli

DC.chief
12-17-2014, 09:40 AM
This last weekend was pretty terrible. I had to have my 14 year old red husky named Eli put down. I've known this was coming for quiet some time now but it didn't make it any easier. Eli had a very large tumor on his spleen that may or may not have been cancerous. About 6 months back the vet told me they would give him another 2 months at most to live so he was hanging on quiet a while.

Poor guy had bad hips too. It was to the point where he could hardly stand on his own. He also stopped eating entirely. I believe it had been about 11 days since he last ate. It's amazing he hung on as long as he had. There's a pic below of him taking in some sun light on his last day on earth. Shortly after I took those we took him to the vet to have him put down. I stood by him weeping and petting him as he took his last breath. We ended up taking his remains back to the house to bury him in the back yard. I'm glad old Eli is no longer in pain but the hurt is deep from this one. It maybe odd to say but I just hope Eli didn't feel I betrayed him. Farewell buddy I miss you.

http://i58.tinypic.com/2dhwjyd.jpg

http://i58.tinypic.com/9sgt2q.jpg

Steron
12-17-2014, 09:50 AM
Sorry DC.Chief. Remember the good times. I had to do this last year to our Boston Terrier. Rough times.

As an aside, anyone else click in here thinking this was going to be about Eli Manning?

****EDIT****
Beautiful dog

stumppy
12-17-2014, 09:52 AM
Thats too bad man. Sorry for your loss. Dogs a awesome. At least Eli isn't hurting anymore.
I've got an 18 year old beagle who, luckily is in good health but I know her time on this earth could end any day at that age. Thats gonna be a dark dark day for me.

cosmo20002
12-17-2014, 09:56 AM
I've had to do that twice, and it's horrible. It's really hard to know when it is time, and its heartbreaking. Best wishes--

Buehler445
12-17-2014, 09:57 AM
Sucks man.

Almost exclusively, dogs rule. I'm not looking forward to the day I have to part ways with mine. Hopefully I've got several years.

Dogs man...They kick ass.

Window Licking Whiner
12-17-2014, 09:58 AM
This sucks. Sorry to hear this man. I'm kinda going through something similar to this with one of my GSD's.

Sounds like he'll be at peace. That's what I struggle with and have gotten into yelling fits with 2 different vets (so far), that I want our dog to be comfortable and enjoy what life he has left. They seem to just want more and more money off of me, we've spent close to 6k in the last two years. Not to mention the 2 years of different meds, which varying results.

Dartgod
12-17-2014, 10:04 AM
Sorry for your loss. Our two dogs are 9 and 10, so I know that we only have a few more years left with them. I'm tearing up just thinking about losing them.

Perineum Ripper
12-17-2014, 10:21 AM
That's horrible man..I'm very sorry for your loss..that is one of the worst feelings in the world..losing a dog is losing a family member..remember the good times and smile..he isn't hurting anymore

TheUte
12-17-2014, 10:27 AM
I'm huge dog person and I really feel for you man.

I'm so sorry.

Dogs rule.

tooge
12-17-2014, 10:32 AM
Man, sorry for your loss. You did the last thing a great friend does for their dog.

siberian khatru
12-17-2014, 10:43 AM
Great-looking dog. My condolences.

http://hotair.com/archives/2014/12/14/yes-virginia-all-dogs-go-to-heaven/

Mr. Laz
12-17-2014, 10:44 AM
:(

ottawa_chiefs_fan
12-17-2014, 10:50 AM
Been through this a few times (albeit with cats) - really another member of your family - just with a shorter lifespan. Really, really difficult for may reasons - but especially since you have to make the decision and witness it - really really tough.

Old Dog
12-17-2014, 10:52 AM
RIP Eli
He looks a lot like Nikki, the Husky we had to put down due to kidney failure in 1997.

I've posted this on here a couple of times, but will continue to do so when it seems appropriate. (it's an old Dear Abby column I saved after we had to put our first husky to sleep in '97).

Dogs Don't Have Souls, Do They?

I remember bringing you home. You were so small and cuddly with your tiny paws and soft fur.

You bounced around the room with eyes flashing and ears flopping. Once in a while, you'd let out a little yelp just to let me know this is your territory.

Making a mess of the house and chewing on everything in sight became a passion, and when I scolded you, you just put your head down and looked up at me with those innocent eyes, as if to say, "I'm sorry, but I'll do it again as soon as you 're not watching."

As you got older, you protected me by looking out the window and barking at everyone who walked by. When I had a tough day at work, you would be waiting for me with your tail wagging, just to say, "Welcome home. I missed you." You never had a bad day and I could always count on you to be there for me.

When I sat down to read the paper and watch TV, you would hop on my lap looking for atention. You never asked for anything more than to have me pat your head so you could go to sleep with your head over my leg.

As you got older you moved around more slowly. Then, one day, old age finally took its toll and you couldn't stand on those wobbly legs anymore. I knelt down and patted you lying there, trying to make you young again. You just looked up to me as if to say that you were old and tired and that after all of these years of not asking for anything, you had to ask me for one favor.

With tears in my eyes, I dorve you one last time to the vet. One last time, you were lying next to me. For some strange reason, you were able to stand up in the animal hospital; perhaps it was your sense of pride.

As the vet led you away, you stopped for an instant, turned your head and looked at me as if to say, "Thank you for taking care of me."

I thought, "No, thank you for taking care of me."

Cheater5
12-17-2014, 10:57 AM
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog.
You are his life, his love, his leader.
He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart.
You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion"
-- Author Unknown

Most dogs I've owned were better 'people' than most humans. RIP Eli.

scho63
12-17-2014, 11:00 AM
That brought tears to my eyes! :deevee:

I'm deeply sorry for your loss.

Oxford
12-17-2014, 11:08 AM
:deevee: So sorry but kudos for being there at the end. They give us so much, for so little. I just hope that one day I can be the man my dog thinks I am.

stumppy
12-17-2014, 11:09 AM
One of my favorite sayings:

BE THE TYPE OF PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE

Mr. Plow
12-17-2014, 11:20 AM
I am so so sorry to hear. I tried to read through your post, but I couldn't. On Monday, I had to put our 15 year old dachshund down. I've never had to do it & it was as tough as I thought it would be. I wanted so badly to take her home, but I knew she'd live in pain for however long she had left and I just couldn't do that to her. So, my wife & I made the decision to end the pain. We sat with her petting her while she drifted off to sleep. RIP Peanut & RIP Eli.

Eli is looking down on you now. He's thankful for the time he had with you. Know he is at peace now.

RockChalk
12-17-2014, 11:24 AM
One of the hardest things I've ever done was accompanying my friend to put his Shar Pei down. He got her when we were roommates, so 4 of us when with him/her to say goodbye. I will always remember the Vet saying it was the first time he could recall 5 guys being in a room together all sobbing while she took her last breaths. RIP Molly

And RIP Eli. Think fondly of him and those memories will outweigh the pain you are feeling now.

scho63
12-17-2014, 11:27 AM
:deevee: So sorry but kudos for being there at the end. They give us so much, for so little. I just hope that one day I can be the man my dog thinks I am.

Have you been in a coma? :doh!:

Demonpenz
12-17-2014, 11:35 AM
Good Run. You are a good owner and that dog was lucky to have you.

ChiTown
12-17-2014, 11:44 AM
RIP Eli
He looks a lot like Nikki, the Husky we had to put down due to kidney failure in 1997.

I've posted this on here a couple of times, but will continue to do so when it seems appropriate. (it's an old Dear Abby column I saved after we had to put our first husky to sleep in '97).

I remember bringing you home. You were so small and cuddly with your tiny paws and soft fur.

You bounced around the room with eyes flashing and ears flopping. Once in a while, you'd let out a little yelp just to let me know this is your territory.

Making a mess of the house and chewing on everything in sight became a passion, and when I scolded you, you just put your head down and looked up at me with those innocent eyes, as if to say, "I'm sorry, but I'll do it again as soon as you 're not watching."

As you got older, you protected me by looking out the window and barking at everyone who walked by. When I had a tough day at work, you would be waiting for me with your tail wagging, just to say, "Welcome home. I missed you." You never had a bad day and I could always count on you to be there for me.

When I sat down to read the paper and watch TV, you would hop on my lap looking for atention. You never asked for anything more than to have me pat your head so you could go to sleep with your head over my leg.

As you got older you moved around more slowly. Then, one day, old age finally took its toll and you couldn't stand on those wobbly legs anymore. I knelt down and patted you lying there, trying to make you young again. You just looked up to me as if to say that you were old and tired and that after all of these years of not asking for anything, you had to ask me for one favor.

With tears in my eyes, I dorve you one last time to the vet. One last time, you were lying next to me. For some strange reason, you were able to stand up in the animal hospital; perhaps it was your sense of pride.

As the vet led you away, you stopped for an instant, turned your head and looked at me as if to say, "Thank you for taking care of me."

F You, for posting that..............:deevee:

RIP, Eli

Eleazar
12-17-2014, 11:56 AM
Sorry brother.

Thorpilian
12-17-2014, 12:05 PM
I had to put my husky down after 16 years. It was tough. Adidas was the best dog Ive ever had, and Ive had multiple dogs my whole life. Hopefully there eating bones, digging holes, running around crazy, and playing in the mud up there!

TEX
12-17-2014, 12:06 PM
Sorry for your loss. Losing a pet (a friend) is one of the toughest things in the world to go through. Took me 5 years to get another one when I had to put my last one down. Wishing you the best with the process.

eDave
12-17-2014, 12:20 PM
Hey DC.chief. We've never crossed paths on here but I wanted to send along my condolences as well. It's a hard thing losing a loved one. For you to have to make this decision as part of your holiday, well, I'm sure that hits hard as well.

Window Licking Whiner
12-17-2014, 12:50 PM
RIP Eli

Good post. Makes me sad to read that

DC.chief
12-17-2014, 01:05 PM
Thanks for all the kind words everyone. I'm getting emotional reading some of your responses. I'm sorry for those of you that have lost furry little friends as well. RIP Peanut

Al Czervik
12-17-2014, 01:15 PM
Sorry so for your loss DC Chief....
In time, looking back will be alot easier....

RIP Eli....

Dunit35
12-17-2014, 01:30 PM
Sorry for your loss. He looks like my male husky. My female is almost eight and already has hip trouble.

J Diddy
12-17-2014, 01:31 PM
That sucks man.

I'm glad he's no longer in pain but I'm sorry for your pain. Best wishes.