PDA

View Full Version : News Full-On Looting At Independence Center

doomy3
12-26-2014, 09:12 PM
A KCPD detective friend of mine just texted that there is a full metro wide assist being issued for all local PDs right now. Apparently there is full-blown looting going on at Independence Center right now. I don't see anything on the news yet...

EDIT: Original reports of looting were incorrect. Large scale fighting between teenagers.

stanleychief
12-26-2014, 09:16 PM
Just hit KCStar:

http://www.kansascity.com/news/local/article5032707.html

Independence Center locked down its stores before closing Friday night after fights and possible looting broke out.

Large crowds of youths were reportedly involved. Kansas City police sent multiple officers to the scene to help Independence police. Officers reportedly were stopping traffic in the area while others entered the shopping mall to handle youths there.

Police reportedly were setting up a location where parents could go to pick up children who may have been left at the shopping center.

At one point, police reported that some large groups of youths had moved to parking lots at stores on the north side of 39th Street, across from Independence Center.

Social media reports claimed that a large number of protesters were at the mall before it shut down about 8:30 p.m.

Additional details were not immediately available.

Read more here: http://www.kansascity.com/news/local/article5032707.html#storylink=cpy

Deberg_1990
12-26-2014, 09:16 PM
Bannister Mall II

LoneWolf
12-26-2014, 09:29 PM
Bannister Mall II

Electric Boogaloo.

Simply Red
12-26-2014, 09:42 PM
Hopefully Merry Go Round and Camelot Records are okay?!

cdcox
12-26-2014, 09:45 PM
Large crowds of youths

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e241/M15A2/df824b085689ac94725cae80df2dd7b4_zpse9639b06.jpg

digger
12-26-2014, 09:49 PM
Hopefully Merry Go Round and Camelot Records are okay?! Reports of people taking shelter down in the Hot Dogs and more. ROFL

stanleychief
12-26-2014, 09:52 PM

Whoa.. blast from the past. I used to shop there. I had some nice IOU sweatshirts, and bought a cassette tape from this new band called 'Guns and Roses'.

CoMoChief
12-26-2014, 09:54 PM

lmao....ROFL....holy shit....forgot about that place

CoMoChief
12-26-2014, 09:57 PM
I still have a ton of fun factory tickets i never turned in....wonder if theres still time?

Simply Red
12-26-2014, 10:02 PM
Hickory Farms? Original Pizza? Peter's Clothiers? How about York Steakhouse? (if you remember that one, you're old)

TribalElder
12-26-2014, 10:23 PM
Shouldn't these kids be down on the plaza

Straight, No Chaser
12-26-2014, 10:24 PM
Hickory Farms? Original Pizza? Peter's Clothiers? How about York Steakhouse? (if you remember that one, you're old)

Thanks! Real Nice.

stanleychief
12-26-2014, 10:33 PM

There are several Original Pizza's around still, but yeah, that was the quintessential mall food court restaurant. I kind of miss Hickory Farms. Didn't they used to have samples this time of year?

Reaper16
12-26-2014, 10:36 PM
There are several Original Pizza's around still, but yeah, that was the quintessential mall food court restaurant. I kind of miss Hickory Farms. Didn't they used to have samples this time of year?

No season is the wrong season for summer sausage.

BigRichard
12-26-2014, 10:37 PM
In before racist comment

Reaper16
12-26-2014, 10:38 PM
FWIW, KCTV5 is apparently reporting "no arrests no injuries and at this point no reported property damage."

TLO
12-26-2014, 10:39 PM
In before racist comment

They aren't looting Quick Trip, so we can assume these youth are not black.

Ash
12-26-2014, 10:39 PM
Hope the Contra game at Aladdins Castle is ok. I would also hate to think I would be unable to pick up a new sea foam green nose piece for my Blades from the Oakley kiosk while in route to Cinnabon .

alpha_omega
12-26-2014, 10:40 PM
FWIW, KCTV5 is apparently reporting "no arrests no injuries and at this point no reported property damage."

Doesn't sound like looting then.

Superbowltrashcan
12-26-2014, 10:48 PM
Hope the Contra game at Aladdins Castle is ok. I would also hate to think I would be unable to pick up a new sea foam green nose piece for my Blades from the Oakley kiosk while in route to Cinnabon .

I just laughed so loud the dog started barking at me.ROFL:thumb:

Simply Red
12-26-2014, 10:57 PM
Didn't they used to have samples this time of year?

They'd walk the pushers this time of year - samples are/were always available inside the store. Those and the I am Loved pins/buttons from Helzberg Jewelers - were the two freebees Jennifer and I would take from Independence Ctr. - we were dirt poor - no matter what mom says. we really were.

Simply Red
12-26-2014, 10:58 PM
I just laughed so loud the dog started barking at me.ROFL:thumb:

LMAO

Reaper16
12-26-2014, 10:59 PM
From the Independence Police Dept.'s Twitter: <blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Ref Indep Center: It's now all clear. There were no reported injuries or arrest. Contrary to other reports, there was no looting or protests</p>&mdash; Independence Police (@ipdinfo) <a href="https://twitter.com/ipdinfo/status/548699546759729153">December 27, 2014</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Simply Red
12-26-2014, 11:00 PM

How about the Jones Store or that drug store directly in the middle of Blue Ridge Mall - seems it was Woolworths or something. Odd - oh and Orange Julius.

Did I really live there and all of that happen in the seventies and eighties? is this real life? seriously...

Simply Red
12-26-2014, 11:01 PM
where did the years go.

Ash
12-26-2014, 11:11 PM
How about the Jones Store or that drug store directly in the middle of Blue Ridge Mall - seems it was Woolworths or something. Odd - oh and Orange Julius.

Did I really live there and all of that happen in the seventies and eighties? is this real life? seriously...

I bought my first vinyl at blue ridge mall Def Leppards Pyromania. I Can not remember the chain though, tower records? Orange Julius was the shiznit

Simply Red
12-26-2014, 11:14 PM
I bought most of my albums at Seventh Heaven - the old 7 hwy location - and then progressed to the South 7 location.

Deberg_1990
12-26-2014, 11:16 PM
I used to hit up Topsys, Orange Julius and the old Blue Ridge Mall movie theaters quite a bit

Montgomery Wards and Jones Store for my wardrobe

TinyEvel
12-26-2014, 11:16 PM
Did they have a Chess King? If not, where did you buy your parachute pants and jackets with unnecessary zippers.

Simply Red
12-26-2014, 11:18 PM
Did they have a Chess King? If not, where did you buy your parachute pants and jackets with unnecessary zippers.

We did at Bannister I think - Davy Jones Locker or Merry Go Round. :)

Simply Red
12-26-2014, 11:20 PM
Generra - IOU - Z Cav as well - LOL - Troop - British Knights. Jimmy Z, Mr. Zoggs

Simply Red
12-26-2014, 11:21 PM
Town N Country.

stanleychief
12-26-2014, 11:26 PM
Fuzzy picture, but.. it's where I saw my first CD player. Amazing technology!

http://www.mallofmemphis.org/images/vc2.jpg

Simply Red
12-26-2014, 11:30 PM
I forgot the name of it - but inbetween the foodcourt and dillards - there was a shop even in levels with the food court - it was a hobby store - they carried eclectic beer cans for collecting - I used to collect unique beer cans.

gblowfish
12-26-2014, 11:32 PM
This is BS. Independence has a police station inside the mall. Some kid shot another kid in the mall about a year ago, and since that happened, they've cracked down on that kind of crap. Too much money at stake to let the mall fail.

TribalElder
12-26-2014, 11:32 PM
Circuit City was ravaged

gblowfish
12-26-2014, 11:36 PM
The headline on this thread is totally wrong and is irresponsible. This was just some kids fighting outside the mall. No damage, nobody arrested, nobody hurt. Here's the story from KSHB TV:

INDEPENDENCE, Mo. - Multiple police units responded to Independence Center on Friday night.

Authorities from Independence, Blue Springs and Kansas City, Mo., responded to a large disturbance at the mall.

Tom Gentry with the Independence Police Department said a large group of juveniles started fighting among themselves outside the mall. Police were called in and the teens dispersed.

No one was arrested and no one was injured, according to Gentry. He said there may be some damage to the front door of the mall, but there were no other reports or property damage.

Police shut down the roads around the mall, but they have since reopened.

Gentry also said that officers asked businesses on the north side of 39th Street to close their doors after the teens left the mall.

Officials believe the teen gathering was organized on social media and are investigating.

Authorities said they are reviewing security camera footage. They also said there will be increased security at the mall over the weekend.

suzzer99
12-26-2014, 11:37 PM
That place has gone downhill ever since Barker's Circus World.

suzzer99
12-26-2014, 11:39 PM
Fuzzy picture, but.. it's where I saw my first CD player. Amazing technology!

http://www.mallofmemphis.org/images/vc2.jpg

One of the first places I ever applied for a job and got rejected. Maybe I shouldn't have been wearing my ratty, hole-y shirt that had velcro for buttons.

digger
12-26-2014, 11:44 PM
www.spencersonline.com/ (http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/www.spencersonline.com/)

WhawhaWhat
12-26-2014, 11:45 PM
A KCPD detective friend of mine just texted that there is a full metro wide assist being issued for all local PDs right now. Apparently there is full-blown looting going on at Independence Center right now. I don't see anything on the news yet...

Sounds like your detective friend is a dipshit. Never trust a cop.

Reaper16
12-26-2014, 11:49 PM
Sounds like your detective friend is a dipshit. Never trust a cop.

There was a figure on Twitter saying there was a "violent flash mob" of "700+ teens" at Independence Center tonight. It's sad what fictional b.s. people will believe and pass on without a second's hesitation. Thankfully the Independence PD was quick to set the record straight.

Demonpenz
12-26-2014, 11:50 PM
Got some my Brian Bosworth poster from champs

Saul Good
12-26-2014, 11:50 PM
There was a figure on Twitter saying there was a "violent flash mob" of "700+ teens" at Independence Center tonight. It's sad what fictional b.s. people will believe and pass on without a second's hesitation. Thankfully the Independence PD was quick to set the record straight.

Sources are confirming fewer than 17 dead, possibly as few as zero.

Reaper16
12-26-2014, 11:53 PM

My kids aren't going NEAR that Pac-Sun ever again. We'll take our business to the Zona Rosa location, than you very much. #Northland

suzzer99
12-26-2014, 11:54 PM
Aw man the false alarm didn't even last long enough for vailpass and some of the other DC stalwarts to make unsubtle racist analogies.

Simply Red
12-26-2014, 11:54 PM

http://i.imgur.com/zyksXpF.gif

rocknrolla
12-27-2014, 01:01 AM

Holly shit, I am officially old! I got my parachute pants at Merry Go Round!

Hammock Parties
12-27-2014, 01:13 AM
Hopefully the looters move on to Alex Smith's house. On the black market, spleens fetch a very good price.

cosmo20002
12-27-2014, 01:35 AM
Aw man the false alarm didn't even last long enough for vailpass and some of the other DC stalwarts to make unsubtle racist analogies.

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=289430&page=8
Post 113
Kwanza parade in LA today.

In KC, Independence Center gets shut down by disorderly youth

Chicago Navy Pier closed after fights and shooting.

Simply Red
12-27-2014, 01:39 AM
that was racist?

suzzer99
12-27-2014, 02:19 AM
What does a Kwanza parade have to do with the other two? Answer this question and you shall find your answer...

Simply Red
12-27-2014, 02:23 AM
What does a Kwanza parade have to do with the other two? Answer this question and you shall find your answer...

i see - it's late - taking longer to register right now. ha!

Dunerdr
12-27-2014, 02:34 AM
Jesus Christ it's like listening to my mom and her friends in here. You guys need a gayties memories thread up in here.

POND_OF_RED
12-27-2014, 03:07 AM
Thank god ruby's diner closed down or the mall walkers could have been trampled to death.

suzzer99
12-27-2014, 03:12 AM
Am I the only one who went to Barker's Circus World circa 1985? It was an underage club that didn't last very long.

CoMoChief
12-27-2014, 06:28 AM
I hope Gadzooks wasn't looted.

jagerdrinker
12-27-2014, 06:46 AM

Priceless, brother. Absolutely priceless. The IC was definitely one of my old haunts.

jagerdrinker
12-27-2014, 06:48 AM
I forgot the name of it - but inbetween the foodcourt and dillards - there was a shop even in levels with the food court - it was a hobby store - they carried eclectic beer cans for collecting - I used to collect unique beer cans.

You're right. I cannot remember the name of that store, either, but I know that I still own two die-cast 280Zs from that place, one silver and one red. Holy crap, we're old.

Eleazar
12-27-2014, 07:01 AM
Looting or not, if roaming packs of "youths" make people feel unsafe - the people who are at the mall because they actually have money to spend - those people won't come back.

It's hard enough for these stores to compete with the Internet. If the mall doesn't have a pleasant shopping experience it's going to be sunk, and all the jobs, commerce, and revenue for the city with it.

doomy3
12-27-2014, 07:15 AM
Yep, turns out the looting report was false. That is the message that was put out from the Independence PD when they requested a city-wide assist, so it isn't as if the KCPD or anyone else made that up. I posted this early on in case anyone had friends or family shopping at or working at the mall.

Glad that it turned out to be less than what originally thought, but this kind of shit still shouldn't be happening.

ptlyon
12-27-2014, 07:29 AM
Yep, turns out the looting report was false. That is the message that was put out from the Independence PD when they requested a city-wide assist, so it isn't as if the KCPD or anyone else made that up. I posted this early on in case anyone had friends or family shopping at or working at the mall.

Glad that it turned out to be less than what originally thought, but this kind of shit still shouldn't be happening.

/puting my gun down from oiling

Deberg_1990
12-27-2014, 09:38 AM
The headline on this thread is totally wrong and is irresponsible. This was just some kids fighting outside the mall. No damage, nobody arrested, nobody hurt. Here's the story from KSHB TV:

INDEPENDENCE, Mo. - Multiple police units responded to Independence Center on Friday night.

Authorities from Independence, Blue Springs and Kansas City, Mo., responded to a large disturbance at the mall.

Tom Gentry with the Independence Police Department said a large group of juveniles started fighting among themselves outside the mall. Police were called in and the teens dispersed.

No one was arrested and no one was injured, according to Gentry. He said there may be some damage to the front door of the mall, but there were no other reports or property damage.

Police shut down the roads around the mall, but they have since reopened.

Gentry also said that officers asked businesses on the north side of 39th Street to close their doors after the teens left the mall.

Officials believe the teen gathering was organized on social media and are investigating.

Authorities said they are reviewing security camera footage. They also said there will be increased security at the mall over the weekend.

Agree, the threadline is wrong. Sounds like they broke it up before it became a bigger deal.

Simply Red
12-27-2014, 09:39 AM
You're right. I cannot remember the name of that store, either, but I know that I still own two die-cast 280Zs from that place, one silver and one red. Holy crap, we're old.

ROFL - yes - I think Trade or Hobby was in the title of that place.

Good to hear from you - Jennifer (my sister) moved back home - I guess she see's Paul Dornan and Tim Wahl from time to time - I remember your brother, Jim.

HA HA - where'd the times go, anyway?

WhawhaWhat
12-27-2014, 09:39 AM
<iframe src="http://player.theplatform.com/p/2E2eJC/nbcNewsOffsite?guid=f_os_mall_melee_141227" width="635" height="500" scrolling="no" frameborder="0"></iframe>

BigRichard
12-27-2014, 09:48 AM
<iframe src="http://player.theplatform.com/p/2E2eJC/nbcNewsOffsite?guid=f_os_mall_melee_141227" width="635" height="500" scrolling="no" frameborder="0"></iframe>

The worst thing about that entire thing is it looks like there are adults there but instead of trying to break up the fight they are all whipping out their cameras. Does this not just seem odd to people?

Simply Red
12-27-2014, 09:50 AM
Agree, the threadline is wrong. Sounds like they broke it up before it became a bigger deal.

NUTHOOK HIM! - AT ONCE!

LoneWolf
12-27-2014, 09:57 AM

This is going to make me sound like a grumpy old man, but I don't give a shit.

We are raising a generation of narcissistic morons. Just watch the video. Group of kids fighting inside a shopping mall, and all the teens not involved in the fight can think to do is grab their phones and start recording. Not one of these kids is trying to break up the fight and restore some type of order. Nope, they've got to get it on video so they can post it on YouTube or Vine and get "famous". I shudder to think what some of these kids will grow up to be.

Simply Red
12-27-2014, 10:00 AM

I've been brainstorming tying to remember the name of that place. I researched it via Google and all I found was a gentleman discussing how he was wrongfully accused of shoplifting there at that store. As he had described the location of that hobby place.

I will die trying to remember this, now.

It's reallly bothering me - I swear Hobby or Craft or Trade were part of the title.

bobbymitch
12-27-2014, 10:24 AM
I've been brainstorming tying to remember the name of that place. I researched it via Google and all I found was a gentleman discussing how he was wrongfully accused of shoplifting there at that store. As he had described the location of that hobby place.

It's reallly bothering me - I swear Hobby or Craft or Trade were part of the title.

Maybe Hobby Haven?

Simply Red
12-27-2014, 10:29 AM
Maybe Hobby Haven?

No but nice try - Hobby Haven was upstairs.

This was more like a boutique - it was literally part of the very end of the food-court approaching Dillards. Hobby Haven was bigger. this was the size of a pretzel shop at the food-court, basically.

HonestChieffan
12-27-2014, 10:40 AM
love it...10pm news last night.....well yes kids, no arrests, nothing stolen, just a bit rowdy. Kansas City Star is a rag.

KingPriest2
12-27-2014, 10:47 AM
ROFL - yes - I think Trade or Hobby was in the title of that place.

Good to hear from you - Jennifer (my sister) moved back home - I guess she see's Paul Dornan and Tim Wahl from time to time - I remember your brother, Jim.

HA HA - where'd the times go, anyway?

You know Tim Wahl? You go to Blue Springs?

Simply Red
12-27-2014, 10:54 AM
You know Tim Wahl? You go to Blue Springs?

Oh yeah - pretty well - he used to take me to school in the dune buggy. Yeah I did - 1991

Simply Red
12-27-2014, 10:54 AM
Jagerdrinker graduated w/ me. As did Chief Justice.

Bugeater
12-27-2014, 11:12 AM

We are raising a generation of narcissistic morons. Just watch the video. Group of kids fighting inside a shopping mall, and all the teens not involved in the fight can think to do is grab their phones and start recording. Not one of these kids is trying to break up the fight and restore some type of order. Nope, they've got to get it on video so they can post it on YouTube or Vine and get "famous". I shudder to think what some of these kids will grow up to be.
When I was a teenager no one ever stepped in to break up fights either, everyone stood back and watched. Hell we cheered it on most of the time.

LoneWolf
12-27-2014, 11:21 AM
When I was a teenager no one ever stepped in to break up fights either, everyone stood back and watched. Hell we cheered it on most of the time.

Did you get into group fights inside public places? When we got into fights, we always took it outside. Onlookers gathered around, but that was mostly to make sure the fight stayed fair and nobody was getting ganged up on. When the fight was clearly won, several people would break it up.

Simply Red
12-27-2014, 11:51 AM
Thought I was onto something - here brainstorming - I thought of Tender - Tender something - Tender Box - yeah - NO - No Tinderbox was a pipe tobacco shop w/ other odds and ends regarding smoking.

Dang man this is going to drive me crazy - Hobby shop on the end of the food court approaching Dillards - It was in business until like 1988 or so - HELP!!! I will get to the bottom of the store's name if it kills me.

Deberg_1990
12-27-2014, 11:51 AM
ingYep, turns out the looting report was false. That is the message that was put out from the Independence PD when they requested a city-wide assist, so it isn't as if the KCPD or anyone else made that up. I posted this early on in case anyone had friends or family shopping at or working at the mall.

It's amazing how quickly the mass hysteria escalates. My FB and Twitter were blowing up last night when this news hit. Some of the comments were hysterical

kstater
12-27-2014, 11:56 AM
Thugs. What's wrong with society.

Saul Good
12-27-2014, 12:05 PM

Why is it up to kids to break up fights? That is what police and security is for. If its filmed, police can sort it out later via the videos.

suzzer99
12-27-2014, 12:10 PM

I know it one of those malls York Steakhouse actually replaced El Chico.

Simply Red
12-27-2014, 12:12 PM
I know it one of those malls York Steakhouse actually replaced El Chico.

Holy Cow El Chico. that's on the fringe of my memory banks - I mean EARLY memories - that had to have been no later than 1978ish.

suzzer99
12-27-2014, 12:13 PM
Oh yeah - pretty well - he used to take me to school in the dune buggy. Yeah I did - 1991

I graduated from BSHS in '87.

Also your font is back to being small now. It must not like the iPad.

Ash
12-27-2014, 12:17 PM
Thought I was onto something - here brainstorming - I thought of Tender - Tender something - Tender Box - yeah - NO - No Tinderbox was a pipe tobacco shop w/ other odds and ends regarding smoking.

Dang man this is going to drive me crazy - Hobby shop on the end of the food court approaching Dillards - It was in business until like 1988 or so - HELP!!! I will get to the bottom of the store's name if it kills me.

Hobby Haven ? did they sell rc cars? I would go to that place when I was a teen, cant remember if that was the name though..

LoneWolf
12-27-2014, 12:22 PM
Why is it up to kids to break up fights? That is what police and security is for. If its filmed, police can sort it out later via the videos.

If you know something is wrong and have the power to stop it, you should. But no, let's all record it and post it online.

Eleazar
12-27-2014, 12:22 PM

I remember that place with all the die cast cars and model trains and such. It was on the top floor all the way at one end, kind of in a corner. It was next to a big music store. They had a big selection of decals for your car with sports logos, I remember. That's probably the only thing I ever bought there. Can't remember the name though.

Ash
12-27-2014, 12:25 PM
Hobby Haven ? did they sell rc cars? I would go to that place when I was a teen, cant remember if that was the name though..

oh never mind didnt scroll down far enough. I dont remember a small hobby shop.

Deberg_1990
12-27-2014, 12:34 PM
Holy Cow El Chico. that's on the fringe of my memory banks - I mean EARLY memories - that had to have been no later than 1978ish.

Used to live El Chico. My mom and I used to eat there all the time

What was the name of that redneck dance hall that used to be there in the 90s?

ThaVirus
12-27-2014, 12:36 PM
If you know something is wrong and have the power to stop it, you should. But no, let's all record it and post it online.

In a perfect world you'd be right. This world is far from perfect, though.

Stepping in to break up a fight could land you in a shit ton of legal trouble or, worse yet, dead.

beach tribe
12-27-2014, 12:47 PM

What makes you think they have the power to stop it?
Stepping in could make it worse.

I'm not getting shanked over that shit.

I have gotten the **** knocked out of me from the blind side for trying to break up fights.

I would whip out my phone and record it, though.

Simply Red
12-27-2014, 12:53 PM

no - that was the one upstairs, IIRC -

Simply Red
12-27-2014, 12:53 PM
Used to live El Chico. My mom and I used to eat there all the time

What was the name of that redneck dance hall that used to be there in the 90s?

I remember - I don't recall - my sister would know.

Eleazar
12-27-2014, 12:54 PM

Only if while recording it you're going to yell "WORLD STARRRRR WORLD STARRRRR WORLD STARRRRRR"

Simply Red
12-27-2014, 12:56 PM
It was SOOO long ago - It really may have been Hobby Haven - but I was thinking that one was upstairs - this shop was almost part of the foodcourt - Damn this driving me bat shit crazy.

ThaVirus
12-27-2014, 03:12 PM
You ever been in a fight, SR?

ThaVirus
12-27-2014, 03:12 PM
You don't strike me as a fighter.

Simply Red
12-27-2014, 03:14 PM
I remember that place with all the die cast cars and model trains and such. It was on the top floor all the way at one end, kind of in a corner. It was next to a big music store. They had a big selection of decals for your car with sports logos, I remember. That's probably the only thing I ever bought there. Can't remember the name though.

your description is correct - it was directly in front of the ramp leading to Dillards, I did NOT think that was top floor though.

I'm not thinking of Hobby Haven, I don't think. This place was called something else and much smaller - like I said it was about the size of Swiss Pretzel.

Simply Red
12-27-2014, 03:16 PM
You ever been in a fight, SR?

Yes it's been a long long time.

You don't strike me as a fighter.

I'm not really - I'll wait until you black out and eat your face.

Simply Red
12-27-2014, 03:17 PM
Blaine Clemmons - 7th grade in Lee's Summit - he looked like an Albino - and beat my ass.

Randallflagg
12-27-2014, 03:30 PM
Good God....

I don't think I have been there since there was a Luby's Cafeteria there.....

Christ, I'm old.... :(

gblowfish
12-27-2014, 03:34 PM
I don't do much mall shopping, period. I work about a quarter mile north of the Oak Park Mall in OPKS, so if I ever need to do anything mall-wise I go there. But my wife shops at Independence Center a lot, she teaches in Eastern Independence and it's the closest mall. We go to movies out there a lot too, at eat at a lot of the restaurants in that area. It's home to us, and this is a very isolated incident. It's not like "Bannister Mall." No guard towers in the parking lots.

displacedinMN
12-27-2014, 03:45 PM
From Lonewolf

All true. Spare the rod-spoil the child.
And it will get worse. We are not suspending kids for non-violent behavior. A kid basically needs to beat the **** out of someone before they are out of school. There is no punishment for being an Ahole. There is no respect for authority. I see it every day.

Saul Good
12-27-2014, 03:53 PM
From Lonewolf

And it will get worse. We are not suspending kids for non-violent behavior. A kid basically needs to beat the **** out of someone before they are out of school. There is no punishment for being an Ahole. There is no respect for authority. I see it every day.

Violent crime is at a historic low. It's been getting better for years, and there is nothing that would suggest the trend will suddenly reverse.

Saul Good
12-27-2014, 03:56 PM
http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/ucr/crime-in-the-u.s/2012/crime-in-the-u.s.-2012/tables/1tabledatadecoverviewpdf/table_1_crime_in_the_united_states_by_volume_and_rate_per_100000_inhabitants_1993-2012.xls

This chart is a couple years old, but the rate is down by about 50% in the past 20 years.

Simply Red
I don't do much mall shopping, period. I work about a quarter mile north of the Oak Park Mall in OPKS, so if I ever need to do anything mall-wise I go there. But my wife shops at Independence Center a lot, she teaches in Eastern Independence and it's the closest mall. We go to movies out there a lot too, at eat at a lot of the restaurants in that area. It's home to us, and this is a very isolated incident. It's not like "Bannister Mall." No guard towers in the parking lots.

Man Bannister must have gotten bad over those years I'd moved here.

|Zach|
Did you get into group fights inside public places? When we got into fights, we always took it outside. Onlookers gathered around, but that was mostly to make sure the fight stayed fair and nobody was getting ganged up on. When the fight was clearly won, several people would break it up.

"The god damned kids these days are not fighting in the places I fought when I was kid."

TribalElder
12-27-2014, 04:05 PM
https://myspace.com/bannistermall

|Zach|
12-27-2014, 04:06 PM
https://myspace.com/bannistermall

Did you just type in a myspace link on the Internet?

TribalElder
12-27-2014, 04:09 PM
Did you just type in a myspace link on the Internet?

No, I copy pasted

TribalElder
12-27-2014, 05:02 PM
The brawl at the mall is the leading story on 41 action news lol

Great video of plazateens independence center addition

Pitt Gorilla
12-27-2014, 05:05 PM
From Lonewolf

And it will get worse. We are not suspending kids for non-violent behavior. A kid basically needs to beat the **** out of someone before they are out of school. There is no punishment for being an Ahole. There is no respect for authority. I see it every day.Yeah, I bet you do.

|Zach|
12-27-2014, 05:05 PM
The brawl at the mall is the leading story on 41 action news lol

Great video of plazateens independence center addition

Keeping people like you scared is good for business for local newscasts.

|Zach|
12-27-2014, 05:10 PM
Someone call the national guard.

Independence Center locked down some stores Friday night after large groups of youths congregated and police were called.

But that didn’t deter Saturday shoppers seeking post-Christmas discounts — as much as 75 percent off at some stores. They filled the parking lot and strolled through the center, many with shopping bags in hand.

In a statement, Angela Pyszczynski, general manager at Independence Center, said “there was a minor isolated incident involving disruptive teens that resulted in no injuries due to the quick response by our security team along with the Independence Police Department. We maintain a zero-tolerance policy for all criminal activity as we strive to maintain the best possible shopping experience for all visitors.”

Independence police first arrived about 8:20 p.m. Friday to handle “disruptive” youths. Officers saw 200 to 300 young people pouring out of the building, kicking doors as they went, Capt. Mike Onka said. Kansas City, Lee’s Summit and Blue Springs police responded to a call for assistance, in addition to Jackson County sheriff’s deputies and Missouri Highway Patrol troopers.

No arrests were made.

Independence police officials couldn’t be reached for comment on Saturday.

Peng Her, a partner in the Yoki store in the City Market, recently opened a seasonal store in Independence Center and plans to operate it at least through mid-February. He didn’t know about the Friday night disturbance at the mall until he arrived home and saw it on television.

Peng Her, a partner in the Yoki store in the City Market, recently opened a seasonal store in Independence Center and plans to operate it at least through mid-February. He didn’t know about the Friday night disturbance at the mall until he arrived home and saw it on television.

“We haven’t been here long, so I didn’t know if there was more traffic than usual,” he said on Saturday. “But there were a lot of kids and police presence.”

One couple said they were so unconcerned with the Friday night incident that they finished eating their dinner at Applebee’s as police dispersed the crowds. They returned Saturday to finish shopping.

Kristine Hoffman of Springfield, Va., was in town visiting family and had heard about the Friday commotion. She had worked at the Independence Center Sears store as a youth and stopped by Saturday morning to shop the sales with her 10-year-old daughter, Jenna.

“Saturday morning is a good time” Hoffman said. “Teenagers are in bed.”

Some shoppers said they will no longer let their teenagers shop at night and one parent said her teenage son declined to come to the mall Saturday afternoon, expressing concerns about his safety.

But Misty Bloss of Holden, Mo., plans to continue to be a regular Independence Center customer.

“We come all this way to shop,” she said. “I hope it is an isolated incident.”

The Star’s Matt Campbell contributed to this report.

Read more here: http://www.kansascity.com/news/local/crime/article5049264.html#storylink=cpy

Chief Pote
12-27-2014, 05:15 PM

I hope Chess King and J Riggins are okay too.

TribalElder
12-27-2014, 05:20 PM
Keeping people like you scared is good for business for local newscasts.

ROFL

Scared?

Dallas Chief
12-27-2014, 06:45 PM
We did at Bannister I think - Davy Jones Locker or Merry Go Round. :)

In my mind I always pictured your as a Ward Parkway Shopping Center/ Shawnee Mission East kind of guy.

LoneWolf
12-27-2014, 07:52 PM
"The god damned kids these days are not fighting in the places I fought when I was kid."

Still a fat, worthless piece of shit I see.

Pitt Gorilla
12-27-2014, 07:54 PM
Still a fat, worthless piece of shit I see.Damn, dude. WTF?

|Zach|
12-27-2014, 11:21 PM
Still a fat, worthless piece of shit I see.

You're mad.

ThaVirus
12-27-2014, 11:28 PM
He mad.

Saul Good
12-27-2014, 11:32 PM
That dude mad.

ThaVirus
12-27-2014, 11:36 PM
Why has crime gone down since the 90s, I wonder?

I'm thinking CSI had something to do with it. All this DNA testing, cameras everywhere. Shit is hard to get away with these days.

ThaVirus
12-27-2014, 11:37 PM
If you're just a regular person, anyway. They have Aaron Hernandez on camera with a gun in his hand the night that dude went missing and he's probably about to get off..

Bugeater
12-27-2014, 11:55 PM
If you're just a regular person, anyway. They have Aaron Hernandez on camera with a gun in his hand the night that dude went missing and he's probably about to get off..
You're mad.

ThaVirus
12-28-2014, 12:12 AM
I'm iz mad.

UL Washington
12-28-2014, 01:35 AM
http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/ucr/crime-in-the-u.s/2012/crime-in-the-u.s.-2012/tables/1tabledatadecoverviewpdf/table_1_crime_in_the_united_states_by_volume_and_rate_per_100000_inhabitants_1993-2012.xls

This chart is a couple years old, but the rate is down by about 50% in the past 20 years.

Have you seen The Wire? They cook the books... :banghead:

Valiant
12-28-2014, 02:06 AM

I know it is down, but I think that is easy to trend from on average from the crack rock/gang era's of the 90s.

Saying that, it will really drop once weed is legal everywhere. Prisons are going to lose a lot of their revenue on that.

Third Eye
12-28-2014, 02:42 AM
Why has crime gone down since the 90s, I wonder?

I'm thinking CSI had something to do with it. All this DNA testing, cameras everywhere. Shit is hard to get away with these days.

The generally accepted thought has to do with abortion being more available. Less unwanted babies, less future criminals.

Edit: Google Donohue-Levitt hypothesis.

Psyko Tek
12-28-2014, 06:14 AM

it was a chick fight, no way anybody steps in on one of those

jagerdrinker
12-28-2014, 08:12 AM

This was the place right around the corner from the photography place, right? I used to run in there and look while my folks got an Orange Julius and sat down from the weariness of 80's capitalism.

Saul Good
12-28-2014, 08:30 AM
I know it is down, but I think that is easy to trend from on average from the crack rock/gang era's of the 90s.

Saying that, it will really drop once weed is legal everywhere. Prisons are going to lose a lot of their revenue on that.

It's down 20% just in the past five years. It's dropped 19 times in the last 20 years. The country is getting safer and less violent. These are facts.

Mr. Flopnuts
12-28-2014, 08:39 AM

Heh, yep. We didn't break up fights. We formed circles around them to make sure no one else would break up fights. It was funny when a new fight would break out between someone trying to break up the fight and someone who wasn't having that shit.

Mr. Flopnuts
12-28-2014, 08:40 AM

This too. We were organized and no one was gonna get curb stomped or some shit.

KCUnited
12-28-2014, 08:41 AM

My wife remembers it as a pop up store. She bought a Budweiser bow tie light there in high school. She can't remember the name though.

Simply Red
12-28-2014, 08:52 AM
My wife remembers it as a pop up store. She bought a Budweiser bow tie light there in high school. She can't remember the name though.

Ok but true it was NOT Hobby Haven though, do we know that much?

Hobby Haven was upstairs near that shitty arcade and near that cove of the mall where York Steak House, upstairs....?

KCUnited
12-28-2014, 09:07 AM
Yeah, Hobby Haven can be ruled out.

Stanley Nickels
12-28-2014, 09:07 AM

That video is from a mall in Pittsburgh, not from the Independence Center incident.

TEX
12-28-2014, 11:34 AM

This.

WilliamTheIrish
12-28-2014, 11:58 AM
So full on rioting and looting is actually a teen bitch fight that caused 4 stores to close 20 minutes early?

Carry on scared people of America!

WilliamTheIrish
12-28-2014, 01:03 PM

Total dick move to try to mess with someone's business over something posted on CP. I hope Sauto crosses paths with you someday and kicks the shit out of you.

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=281663&page=3

LMAO

So I perusing a thread and found this little gem from Lonewolf. We're you going to "break this fight up" instead of.. you know... hoping Jason kicked his ass?

Deberg_1990
12-28-2014, 01:07 PM
That video is from a mall in Pittsburgh, not from the Independence Center incident.

A friend on FB sent me a vid of the Independence Center mall fight.

If I figure out how to embed, I'll post

It's about as trashy as you would expect

displacedinMN
12-29-2014, 03:40 PM
Story on KARE-11 here
You were not alone.

http://www.kare11.com/story/news/nation-now/2014/12/29/teens-mall-brawls-christmas-weekend/21001937/

LoneWolf
12-29-2014, 04:01 PM
http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=281663&page=3

LMAO

So I perusing a thread and found this little gem from Lonewolf. We're you going to "break this fight up" instead of.. you know... hoping Jason kicked his ass?

What does one have to do with the other? Did I say I wanted Jason to kick his ass in a crowded mall and have a bunch if teenagers film it for YouTube purposes? Fighting wasn't what I took issue with. I took issue with fighting in a public setting and fucking up messing up other people's peaceful day.

Are you really this retarded?

Seanathon
12-30-2014, 10:29 AM
Ok but true it was NOT Hobby Haven though, do we know that much?

Hobby Haven was upstairs near that shitty arcade and near that cove of the mall where York Steak House, upstairs....?

Super Sportscards?

Used to go in there for Leaf Signature trading cards. Every pack had an autographed 8x0. I got Anthony Miller, Jake Plummer, Terrell Owens, and some crappy safety from the Redskins.

WhiteWhale
12-30-2014, 10:56 AM

The only difference is the technology.

What adorable white bread world did you grow up in where kids try to break up a fight when one breaks out? When I was a kid they just circled around you and chanted. Then, as always, after the fight is over some 'tough guy' from the crowd will lay cheap shots into the loser. I saw kids get hospitalized in fights. I've seen 20 guys beat the shit out of one guy.

The only difference is that people have cellphones. Your generation and mine (which may be the same) were full of assholes too. This shit actually happened more often when I was a teen in the 90's. If they had cameras, they would have been recording as well.

LoneWolf
12-30-2014, 11:44 AM
The only difference is the technology.

What adorable white bread world did you grow up in where kids try to break up a fight when one breaks out? When I was a kid they just circled around you and chanted. Then, as always, after the fight is over some 'tough guy' from the crowd will lay cheap shots into the loser. I saw kids get hospitalized in fights. I've seen 20 guys beat the shit out of one guy.

The only difference is that people have cellphones. Your generation and mine (which may be the same) were full of assholes too. This shit actually happened more often when I was a teen in the 90's. If they had cameras, they would have been recording as well.

Again, IT'S NOT THE FIGHTING I TOOK ISSUE WITH. Fighting INSIDE A SHOPPING MALL was what I had a problem with.

FFS, read my other post where I talked about fighting "in my day". We always took it outside. Yes, people gathered around and nobody broke up the fight until there was a clear winner. The difference between where I grew up and where you grew up is we didn't have a bunch of fucking pussies that would cheap shot the loser or groups of 20 pussies that would gang up on one guy.

RockChalk
12-30-2014, 12:01 PM

It was called Pub Decor, wasn't it?

KCUnited
12-30-2014, 12:11 PM
It was called Pub Decor, wasn't it?

Holy shit, I remember there being a Pub Decor in Oak Park Mall. I bought a King Cobra light there circa '93, I think.

SR will know if that was the name of the Independence Center store. My wife says she doesn't remember that store having a name.

SR, Pub Decor?

RockChalk
12-30-2014, 12:15 PM
Holy shit, I remember there being a Pub Decor in Oak Park Mall. I bought a King Cobra light there circa '93, I think.

SR will know if that was the name of the Independence Center store. My wife says she doesn't remember that store having a name.

SR, Pub Decor?

I may have misunderstood the question. When I saw Budweiser Bow-Tie, I assumed Pub Decor.

I bought all kinds of stupid crap there when I was 18-19 years old (ugh, 13 years ago). Not sure if they even still have pop-up stores in malls any longer.

RockChalk
12-30-2014, 12:16 PM
And holy crap, post #5000 was about Pub Decor. I didn't even know I was close, to be honest.

Yay me!!! PBJ

KCUnited
12-30-2014, 12:21 PM
I may have misunderstood the question. When I saw Budweiser Bow-Tie, I assumed Pub Decor.

I bought all kinds of stupid crap there when I was 18-19 years old (ugh, 13 years ago). Not sure if they even still have pop-up stores in malls any longer.

No, I bet you're right. I wasn't around Independence Center in the 90's so I can't verify if that's the same store SR was thinking of in this thread, but I know there was one in Oak Park Mall. Yeah, that store was great when I was 18.

|Zach|
01-01-2015, 08:18 PM
So full on rioting and looting is actually a teen bitch fight that caused 4 stores to close 20 minutes early?

Carry on scared people of America!

Yea funny watching people react to this.

SAUTO
01-01-2015, 09:36 PM
Again, IT'S NOT THE FIGHTING I TOOK ISSUE WITH. Fighting INSIDE A SHOPPING MALL was what I had a problem with.

FFS, read my other post where I talked about fighting "in my day". We always took it outside. Yes, people gathered around and nobody broke up the fight until there was a clear winner. The difference between where I grew up and where you grew up is we didn't have a bunch of fucking pussies that would cheap shot the loser or groups of 20 pussies that would gang up on one guy.

This, definitely this.

ThaVirus
01-01-2015, 10:09 PM

You probably took it outside to avoid the police being called so the fight could last longer, ya bunch of hoodlums.

LoneWolf
01-01-2015, 10:18 PM
You probably took it outside to avoid the police being called so the fight could last longer, ya bunch of hoodlums.

:thumb:

WilliamTheIrish
01-01-2015, 11:00 PM
What does one have to do with the other? Did I say I wanted Jason to kick his ass in a crowded mall and have a bunch if teenagers film it for YouTube purposes? Fighting wasn't what I took issue with. I took issue with fighting in a public setting and ****ing up messing up other people's peaceful day.

Are you really this retarded?

"There's a fight, why don't they break it up? What's this world coming to"?

"I hope Jason kicks his ass"!

"I don't have an issue with fighting. I have an issue with fighting inside"!

LMAO