PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Final Ten Things About Today's Game 2014

gblowfish
12-28-2014, 06:20 PM
Ten Things About Today's Game

10. When you look at what it would have taken for the Chiefs to qualify for the playoffs today, it was a long shot. Jacksonville sucks. So does Cleveland. If you want a season autopsy, the bad loss to Tennessee in the home opener, the loss to Oakland on that rainy Thursday night game and the piss poor red zone performance in Pittsburgh last week was the cause of death. My whole reason for wanting to see this game today was a) I really hate whiney Phyllis Rivers and wanted to knock his candy ass out of the playoffs; and b) I wanted to see how Chase Daniel would do as a starter. Positive results on both counts. When I got home, i cranked up the CBS broadcast and much to my delight, Dan Fouts, Mr.Charger Homer himself, was the color guy on the broadcast. I loathe Dan Fouts, especially when he fellates Phyllis. The first stat he pulls out of his ass is how Phyllis is 15-2 in December road games. Then, Ian Eagle -his numb nuts side kick- says Phylllis is 11 and 3 in his last 14 games against KC. So, in the first quarter CBS has the Chiefs beat already. How can we possibly top Phyllis, especially after his triumphant comeback win last week in San Francisco (against a 49ers team that has already mailed it in)? How can the Chiefs win with a pint sized read option back up QB who's only started one other NFL game? That's why we line em up and play em, boys. The greatest thing about knocking the Bolts out of the playoffs is the way we let them sneak in last year, by blowing the last game of the season at their place. If you remember, Reid rested all the starters including Smith, Charles, Hali, Berry, Bowe and a bunch of other guys. Daniel had them beat last year, but Succop missed a kick inside 40 yards that let the game go to OT. That missed kick cost Succop his job here this year, btw. Phyllis got the OT win, knocked Pittsburgh out of the playoffs, and then we went to Indy the next week and blew a 28 point second half lead with our "rested starters." Today in a make or break game for San Diego, Phyllis got sacked seven times, lost a fumble, threw two picks and ZERO TD passes. He was shut out in the second half. So cry over THAT for the next eight months, you smug, whiney prick.

9. Chase Daniel played a great game for a backup QB that's seen extremely limited action. He looked sharp in the first half, then San Diego adjusted to him in the second half and shut him down pretty well, only allowing a field goal in the third quarter. The midget could have been five for five today, except Eric Fisher had to be stupid and get a ten yard hands to the face penalty to move the team back to kicking a 50-yarder instead of a 40-yarder. That final 50-yard FG would have put the Chiefs up 22-7, which means Phyllis would have needed two TD's and one two point conversion to tie with about nine minutes left in the fourth quarter. Luckily the defense came up aces in the second half, and make it a moot point. Daniel did a fine job, never looked rattled or out of his element. He held the ball too long a couple of times and took sacks, but never panicked or threw the ball up for grabs.

8. Both teams rushed for almost identical yardage, right at 112 yards. Oliver is a good back for the Bolts. He's a lot like Knile Davis. Charles did OK today, considering he's playing at about 60% of what he should be because of knee and ankle soreness. Bowe fumbled away his TD chance, and the Chiefs set another season futility record because...... -say it with me- Chiefs. At least Kelce got a lucky bounce when the ball came right up to him. Considering that was the only TD that could be managed today, that was a huge play. Kelce also lost the ball after hitting the turf again in the first half. He needs to learn how to secure that ball, and not let it go until he stands up, and hands it to Mr. Official.

7. Three big differences to turn the tide today: Chiefs special teams, turnover battle, and Chiefs third and fourth down defense. Special teams contributed four out of five field goal attempts. Chargers had one field goal attempt and missed it wide left. Colquitt punted great, averaged 49 yards a punt, no painful returns allowed. Chargers averaged 28 yards a punt; Chiefs had 69 yards in punt returns and 55 yards in kickoff returns. Chargers had poor to average field position on most of their drives, except on the drive where Santos missed the 50 yarder.

6. Chris Owens should never be allowed on an NFL field ever again. Of Rivers 249 yards passing, about 95 of that went to Eddie Royal OWNING, and I mean OWNING Chris Owens. He was beaten over and over again. Just brutal. Never thought we'd miss Phillip Gaines that much, but I tell ya, I'll welcome Gaines back next season with open arms. Chirs Owens was embarrassingly bad today. Deron Cherry should force him to take off that number 20 uniform, burn it in the parking lot, then slap the taste out of his mouth. Even on Coleman's first (of two) picks on Phyllis right before the half, Coleman came over the top at the very last second, because Owens was beat badly again, and Royal looked wide open. Owens actually tackled Coleman to prevent a return. Dude has gots to go. He's the second coming of Kendrick Lewis, and he must be killed with fire.

5. The second game difference to turn the tide was turnover battle. Coleman's picks came at the very end of the first and second half. Nice that we got a couple picks today, as the Chiefs have been poor at forcing turnovers compared to last season. The strip and fumble on Phyllis by Houston in the third quarter was the play that turned the game. Chiefs were able to extend the lead from 16-7 to 19-7, which meant Phyllis had to get two TDs to win in the second half. The Chiefs offense didn't help Daniel much in the second half. Dropped passes, stupid penalties -including 12 men on the field- and conservative play calling ground down the offense. KC's offensive line did not run or pass block well in the second half at all. San Diego had four sacks on Daniel, who is a pretty mobile guy. Daniel also had some poor throws, where his rust showed a bit, either mis-reading routes, or not being on the same page with receivers. Still, he did enough to run clock and keep the ball away from Phyllis during the fourth quarter. TOP ended up pretty even, the Bolts had the ball about a minute and a half more than KC.

4. Three Big Kudos for today's win, all on the defensive side of the ball. First, kudos to Bob Sutton for pitching a shutout in the second half. He did that in our last two season wins. Tough to do that against an offiense like San Diego. He did a great job missing many of his puzzle pieces. Bravo, just a great job defensively. Second kudos to Justin Houston, who passed DT for most sacks in a season -and most free Big Macs eaten in a season by KC fans. He almost got up to tie the all time NFL season mark. Four sacks and a forced fumble is what All-Pro's do in big games with playoff implications. Houston earned the major pay day he has coming his way. Dorsey: Pay the man. Third kudos go to Hussein Abdullah, who had a monster fourth quarter. On 4th and goal, he got the big tip to keep the ball away from Gates for one big goal line stop. Then on the next series, he does a perfect Eric Berry impersonation, shoots a gap and stops Donald Brown on fourth and one with 3 minutes left in the game. Huge, huge run stop. Maybe my favorite defensive play of the entire season. Nice picture of Phyllis and his reaction to that play:

http://i61.tinypic.com/mljjq0.gif

3. When the season started, most of us guessed the team would go anywhere from 6-10 to 8-8. KC played a much tougher schedule this season than last, and we didn't face as many back up QBs this year as last. Andy Reid had a mixed year, which is both encouraging and maddening. He can be a brilliant play caller, like he was in the Seattle and New England game, and clueless, like he was against Denver here and at Arizona. He threw way too much to not enough people. He ignores the wide outs. He used Charles incorrectly for most of the year, and his clock management is awful. He does challenge well, and he seems to get the most out of his players. He chooses good assistant coaches. And he's had two winning years in a row, which around here is not a small feat. I hope he learns a few things from this season as he adjusts to the AFC West. HE MUST FIGURE OUT HOW TO BEAT DENVER, or we'll always be a wild card team.

2. We may have seen the last game for Hali, Bowe, Stephenson and Chase Daniel as Chiefs. Who knows what the future holds for Derrick Johnson and Eric Berry? Looking forward in draft and free agency, I'd say the needs list goes like this: 1) Wide Receiver 2) Guard 3) Cornerback. They should draft or free agent pickup at least two offensive linemen and two wide receivers for sure. Biggest strides this year -I think- were made by Abdullah, Kelce, Hudson and Bailey. Most improved player was hands down Houston. Today was a dominating performance. The guy could end up being another HOF linebacker for KC if he can sustain his game.

1. Well guys, that's a wrap. Thanks so much for reading the Ten Things again this season. It's been my pleasure sharing my thoughts with you from the front row. And whether you agree with my takes or not, I'm always respectful of your views and comments. Have a very Happy New Year, and a peaceful, productive 2015. Can't wait for Royals Spring Training!

Game Pictures from the KC Star:
http://www.kansascity.com/sports/nfl/kansas-city-chiefs/article5078919.html
San Diego Union-Tribune Report:
http://www.utsandiego.com/news/sports/chargers-nfl/
NFL Game Highlights video:
http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2014122804/2014/REG17/chargers@chiefs#menu=gameinfo|contentId%3A0ap3000000450470&tab=analyze

Bowser
12-28-2014, 06:25 PM
The pleasure is ours, George. Fantastic job on these. Always look forward to reading them.

TribalElder
12-28-2014, 06:25 PM
In fuck yes

rabblerouser
12-28-2014, 06:30 PM
In.

Psyko Tek
12-28-2014, 06:31 PM
thanks george

will you being doing a 10 things about 2014 next week?

FloridaMan88
12-28-2014, 06:32 PM
Eric Fisher's play today deserved a special recognition in your top 10… gave up a sack that killed one of the Chiefs early drives in the red zone and then committed a key penalty that forced the Chiefs to kick (and miss) a long FG.

Fisher was dominated by 75 year old Dwight Freeney today.

bevischief
12-28-2014, 06:34 PM
Off season...

gblowfish
12-28-2014, 06:36 PM
Eric Fisher's play today deserved a special recognition in your top 10… gave up a sack that killed one of the Chiefs early drives in the red zone and then committed a key penalty that forced the Chiefs to kick (and miss) a long FG.

I agree that Fisher was bad again today. He's had a rough year. I'm not ready to throw in the towel on him yet, but next year is a make or break season for him. I think he needs more time in the weight room. His upper body strength isn't that good, and his footwork needs a lot of help too.

On the defensive side, forgot to mention San Diego was only 1 for 3 scoring in the red zone, 2 for 11 on third down and 1 for 3 on fourth down. That's very Chiefs like....

jd1020
12-28-2014, 06:38 PM

It's only Fisher's second year in the league and first season at LT. You simply can't expect someone that's seemingly worthy of being the #1 pick in any given draft to be dominating greats like Freeney. Fisher will be fine. He's still improving at his position and will soon be a force at OT for the Chiefs for years to come. I predict in maybe 4 years he'll have ascended the ranks of OT to grade out as perfectly average.

TimBone
12-28-2014, 06:39 PM
Thanks for doing these every year, George.

DJJasonp
12-28-2014, 06:41 PM
Great job George. Spot on....only one small point....I don't feel like we lost in week 17 last year. We got royally jobbed on the strip and defensive TD that should have ended the game. Should have never come down to succop kick.

And that made todays game even more sweet. The only thing sweeter, is the taste of Fouts' tears.

Why not, next year, have Lenny Dawson do color for the chiefs/chargers game!!??

TLO
12-28-2014, 06:42 PM
Thanks for doing these every year, George.

This.

bdj23
Always a good read.

Red Beans
Good stuff George. Thanks for all the letters, words, and sentences.

thabear04
12-28-2014, 06:43 PM
Thank you for taking your time.

Tribesman
12-28-2014, 06:49 PM
Awesome read as always, thanks! I wait for it after every game.

GloryDayz
12-28-2014, 06:50 PM
Great read...

I can't wait for Bowe to pick his next victim! I thought the stands were going to empty on him today. I suspect he'll do well in his first year of his next team, but after that I think he'll quit trying (just like he did here).

tmax63
12-28-2014, 06:53 PM
I have enjoyed your takes all season. They won a couple of games they shouldn't of and lost a couple that they shouldn't have either. It evens out. To go 9-7 with this schedule and the lack of signing any help during last off-season is a good testament to either 1) good coaching getting something out of nothing or 2) identifying talent that no one else has noticed (esp. all the armchair GM's here). It will be interesting to see what happens this offseason. A WR, CB and OL is definitely needed and paying Houston as well.

jimidollar
12-28-2014, 06:58 PM
Great post as usual. Thanks! Look forward to reading these next year.

Prison Bitch
12-28-2014, 06:58 PM
You forgot: we tied the all time series with those clowns 56-56-9

REDHOTGTO
12-28-2014, 06:59 PM
Always a good read on every game, thanks a lot man . Spot on

Sweet Daddy Hate
12-28-2014, 07:00 PM
Live long and prosper, George.

Bwana
12-28-2014, 07:08 PM
Great work George. I look forward to your 10 things every week. Thanks for taking the time to do it, it's appreciated.

SAUTO
12-28-2014, 07:11 PM
Thanks again George

GloryDayz
12-28-2014, 07:15 PM
I can't wait to read his "10 Things About the Chiefs SB Win"!

Hammock Parties
12-28-2014, 07:18 PM
I love this idea that Reid "ignores the WRs."

The only people doing that are Alex Smith and John Dorsey.

Trivers
12-28-2014, 07:20 PM
I will miss these. Thank you for your investment of time and effort.

See ya in Green Bay next year!

MahiMike
12-28-2014, 07:33 PM
Thanks George. Good stuff. It was a pretty good year, all in all. Everyone will point to the titans and raider losses but to me it was the 49ers game. We were a hail mary away from winning that one.

KCTitus
12-28-2014, 07:52 PM
For all of Fouts homer whining, he did make one observation that I think should be #11 on this list.

In 5 Red Zone trips, there was not a single ball thrown into the endzone. Everything was short or in the flat.

I think that is extremely horrible....

MikeMaslowski
12-28-2014, 07:59 PM
Thank you very much for doing these. I really don't post all that often but make sure to log in on Sunday nights to read these. You are a talented writer and I thank you for your eloquence, humor and all around rational insights.

Thank you. I wish you and yours a blessed New Year.

12-28-2014, 08:01 PM
and another 160 things in the bag. Thanks for all the excellent takes George.

Ragged Robin
12-28-2014, 08:02 PM
I love this idea that Reid "ignores the WRs."

The only people doing that are Alex Smith and John Dorsey.

ROFL

KChiefs1
12-28-2014, 08:02 PM
I too loved the stop on 4th down. Beautiful!

Great read as always George.

ping2000
12-28-2014, 08:04 PM
It's only Fisher's second year in the league and first season at LT. You simply can't expect someone that's seemingly worthy of being the #1 pick in any given draft to be dominating greats like Freeney. Fisher will be fine. He's still improving at his position and will soon be a force at OT for the Chiefs for years to come. I predict in maybe 4 years he'll have ascended the ranks of OT to grade out as perfectly average.

Here's the deal though. You would expect a 1.1 to have a few plays where he just totally dominates his opponent. A few glimpses of the talent that would justify a number one pick. Sure, he will make some mistakes, but there should be flashes. Can someone gif up something? That draft class sucked balls for sure.

threebag
12-28-2014, 08:06 PM
Thanks George. Great Work.

'Hamas' Jenkins
12-28-2014, 08:27 PM
Sutton's defense made some plays in the red zone, but Frank Reich's stupid bitch ass really helped them out. First and goal from the three when they were down 19-7 early in the 4th and he calls four straight pass plays, two of them fades.

It never ceases to amaze me how goddamned stupid offensive coordinators are in G2G situations. Do fade routes work more than 10% of the time? And what are the odds of a 5'10" receiver pulling one down?

If the Chargers convert there the entire complexion of the fourth quarter changes.

While a lot of people may want to point out what happened with Tennessee, Oakland, and Arizona, the truth is they were soundly beaten by the first two and lost to a backup QB in the third. If Bryce Brown doesn't fumble out of the back of the end-zone, it's an 8-8 year.

Of course, if Alex Smith could lead a 4th quarter drive, maybe the Chiefs go 11-5.

There should be a lot of turnover next year because so many of these players are either JAGs or stiffs.

Daniel played really well in the first half, but cowered in the pocket like Smith in the second. Either way, it's idiotic to pay someone $17 million to manage the game when we have someone for $3 mil who can do the same, so unless Dorsey drafts four HOFers in '15, a la the Steelers in the early 70s, good luck winning with this blueprint.

Oh, and Eric Fisher is garbage. He struggles against speed rushers that have lost three steps (Freeney), bull rushers brought out of the glue factory (Harrison), and everything in between.

Hammock Parties
12-28-2014, 08:31 PM
Eric Fisher is garbage. He struggles against speed rushers that have lost three steps (Freeney), bull rushers brought out of the glue factory (Harrison), and everything in between.

http://i.imgur.com/5jZTv9r.gif

BullJunkandIron
12-28-2014, 08:34 PM
Ty GB

Boiled Chicken
12-28-2014, 08:36 PM
Thanks for another season of ten things George. The wife looks forward to it more than I do.

GloryDayz
12-28-2014, 08:41 PM
Sutton's defense made some plays in the red zone, but Frank Reich's stupid bitch ass really helped them out. First and goal from the three when they were down 19-7 early in the 4th and he calls four straight pass plays, two of them fades.

It never ceases to amaze me how goddamned stupid offensive coordinators are in G2G situations. Do fade routes work more than 10% of the time? And what are the odds of a 5'10" receiver pulling one down?

If the Chargers convert there the entire complexion of the fourth quarter changes.

While a lot of people may want to point out what happened with Tennessee, Oakland, and Arizona, the truth is they were soundly beaten by the first two and lost to a backup QB in the third. If Bryce Brown doesn't fumble out of the back of the end-zone, it's an 8-8 year.

Of course, if Alex Smith could lead a 4th quarter drive, maybe the Chiefs go 11-5.

There should be a lot of turnover next year because so many of these players are either JAGs or stiffs.

Daniel played really well in the first half, but cowered in the pocket like Smith in the second. Either way, it's idiotic to pay someone $17 million to manage the game when we have someone for $3 mil who can do the same, so unless Dorsey drafts four HOFers in '15, a la the Steelers in the early 70s, good luck winning with this blueprint.

Oh, and Eric Fisher is garbage. He struggles against speed rushers that have lost three steps (Freeney), bull rushers brought out of the glue factory (Harrison), and everything in between.

If he wants to keep his job he should setup a cot in the weight room tonight. He should take weekly transfusions of horse blood, and hire a tap teacher to show him how to use those flippers he walks on...

Who do I think fooling?!?!?!?!?! He'll get fat on pork rinds, cheap beer, and be a starter because of how much they paid him!

Simply Red
12-28-2014, 08:42 PM
So what is the requirement to get a free big-mac? What's the barometer?

You guys are so lucky!

srvy
12-28-2014, 08:55 PM
As others have said I too always looked forward to this read. Well done and though the season didn't go where we wanted we did have a winning season. Look forward to next year and a perfect 19-0 top ten things.

Boon
12-28-2014, 09:18 PM
As always, great job George.
Already looking forward to next year.

GloryDayz
12-28-2014, 09:28 PM
For a job well done, to George I gift this lady.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-RUO5-5QZpLY/T-tW-0O4RYI/AAAAAAAAHq0/FRrOLtZGyag/s1600/hot-women-wallpaper-5.jpg

Buehler445
12-28-2014, 09:32 PM
Good read as always, George. I always appreciate the effort you put into these.

Agree. Especially on Fouts. Fuck that guy. I don't want to hear some old used up fucker whining about marginal calls. Get his ass out the booth. Or at least put him on non-AFCW games. Dude just can't put the bias in the closet.

I was impressed by Chase. It looked like he threw harder and ran faster than he ever did at Mizzou. That being said, Bye. Unless he's willing to sign for <$1M, see ya. And by rights, he should go get paid again.

It is a lot of fun to beat Phyllis. God that guy is a turd burglar. I think he's a hell of a nice guy IRL, but Christ I can't stand his ass.

I agree with you that we gotta find a way to beat the Donks. I've said for awhile now, if you want to win, you have to get the ones you should and hold serve in the division. And we dumped the Tacks, Faid, and Donks at home on 10 days. Those are must haves. Even if we drop the Seachicken and Cheatriot games, because those teams are better than us, we'd still be a WC team, but we'd be in. Good teams win the ones they need to.

There are some good things, mostly on D. I think Alex went backwards, just as we open up the checkbook. Fucking Yay. Hopefully we can find something in draft and FA, and he can get some confidence back, and hopefully his deep ball accuracy is from having bad feet because he's worried about the rush (I know it's not, but he's not going anywhere, so I'm hoping).

Agreed on Dolts playcalling. I was telling my buddy that only a dumbass throws 3X to the smallest dude on the field in the redzone. Especially when we can't stop the run. Double especially when you have Floyd and Gates. He takes a look, but if you're going to throw it three times to one dude, make it Gates.

Agreed on all the rest, too, but Smith is here to stay.

Deberg_1990
12-28-2014, 09:34 PM
Thanks George.

Phyllis = most overrated QB of the decade. Great box scores but career loser

Otter
12-28-2014, 09:38 PM
Thanks GB! Sometimes I enjoy reading the top 10 more than watching the game. :D

2bikemike
12-28-2014, 10:33 PM
More Accolades for you George!

Wasn't that shot of Rivers frustration the best! I am so happy the Chiefs won because I can't stand how the media around here Bloviates about the Dolts when they win. It would have been an unbearable week if the Not So Super Chargers would have gotten into the playoffs. It was also pretty cool to walk into work tonight and just say "Crushed those dreams" to my fellow co-workers.

There is a lot of work to do this off season and I hope Dorsey gets right to work. Starting with Justin Houston.

MeaTy The Pimp
12-28-2014, 10:48 PM
I lurk most of the time, and don't post very often, however, I do want to say thank you for the "10 things" posts. I always look forward to them after the games. Great takes...

cabletech94
12-28-2014, 11:03 PM
spot on list, spot on as usual. wish there was a reason for a top 10 every week. A plus thread, would read again.

already ready for next season, thanks blowfish!!!

Lonewolf Ed
12-28-2014, 11:14 PM
So what is the requirement to get a free big-mac? What's the barometer?

You guys are so lucky!

You are welcome to all of the Big Macs I am not going to eat. Feh!

jonzie04
12-28-2014, 11:19 PM
Nice list, thanks for doing them blow!

A few more random thoughts I had today Sean Smith had an amazing day to cap off a great season. I dont think he gave up his first reception until like the 4th quarter.

And the Chiefs defense, didn't allow a 300 yard passer the entire season. I was wondering if Rivers would break the trend. He came close, but no cigar.

FloridaMan88
12-28-2014, 11:27 PM

I am not asking Fisher to dominate Freeney… I am asking him not to be dominated by Freeney, a player who is well past his prime.

TEX
12-29-2014, 12:23 AM
I am not asking Fisher to dominate Freeney… I am asking him not to be dominated by Freeney, a player who is well past his prime.

Yep. Fish is looking more like Robert Gallery (with shorter hair of course) with every game. That ain't good - don't think he can play Guard...

Why Not?
12-29-2014, 12:25 AM
Thanks as always. A little bitter sweet to read this one. Another season come and gone.

jonzie04
12-29-2014, 12:26 AM
Yep. Fish is looking more like Robert Gallery (with shorter hair of course) with every game. That ain't good - don't think he can play Guard...

I dont think so either. I cant think of any 6'7 guards. :(

I think he'd be fine at RT though, He's a solid run blocker, and he should be able to handle a teams second best pass rusher for the most part, but it wouldn't be as bad though given that Smith will be able to see the pressure coming.

scho63
12-29-2014, 06:56 AM
Ten Things About Today's Game

10. My whole reason for wanting to see this game today was a) I really hate whiney Phyllis Rivers and wanted to knock his candy ass out of the playoffs; Today in a make or break game for San Diego, Phyllis got sacked seven times, lost a fumble, threw two picks and ZERO TD passes. He was shut out in the second half. So cry over THAT for the next eight months, you smug, whiney prick. LMAOLMAOLMAOLMAOLMAOLMAO

This was the one and ONLY reason I watched today as there was ZERO chance we would have made the playoffs no matter what any statistical chance said. This was my Christmas gift from the Chiefs! :thumb: :clap::clap::clap:

This season went by so fast and for me it was a down-up-down experience.

-I started the season with low expectations due to our schedule and we didn't fail to deliver early on with a loss in the very first game to the shitty Titans. After that disaster I felt 4-5 wins was realistic. DOWN CYCLE :(

- Then the Monday night blowout of New England and the start of what appeared to be a fix to all our woes. We actually began a winning streak UP CYCLE :D

- The mess that was Thursday Night in Oakland burst my bubble and basically we played ourselves out of not only a top spot in the playoffs but completely out with three straight losses. Once again, the Chiefs were the Chiefs and we completely lost control of our destiny! DOWN CYCLE FOR SURE! :deevee:

Ironically, I think our 9-7 record reflects a perfect balance of the what we have in the good and the bad of this team all season.

Good:
-Defensive improvements and great play from Justin Houston.
-Special Teams overall had a great year with a few minor flubs. Cairo must get more consistent and not miss 45-50 yarders as they may cost us a win in the future.
-Our third down defense and secondary play was so much improved from last year but we still have a few holes and it certainly showed today with Chris (Kendrick Lewis Jr) Owens

Average
-Jamaal Charles had an average year by his standards and not the good to great we are used to. Injuries, our shitty OLine and Andy Reid's play calling really held him back.
-Andy Reids coaching; it is a maddening Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde mystery of trying to guess which coach will show. His poor time management is now a joke as is he horrible press conferences.
-Dontari Poe seemed to be burnt out and he had troubles on the run this season as did our entire defense. We need DJ back so bad!

Bad:
-Our OLine was a dumpster fire and if Fisher cannot improve at all or only slightly next year, he will officially be a MAJOR bust.
-Our WR's getting no TDs or no separation EVER and so many drops especially from our supposed #1 Dwayne "No Show" Bowe
-Tamba Hali and Dwayne Bowe did little to nothing as two of our "best" vets
-Injuries: Losing DJ, DeVito, and Berry hurt and Berry is probably done with the Chiefs.
-Alex Smith and his unwillingness or inability to throw down field. To have nearly a ZERO threat to complete a pass beyond 20 yards is a farce in today's NFL. This is a HUGE handicap for our team and our running game. (See Demarco Murray and the Cowboys)

There is much more to comment on but I'll save it for another time and thread.

Thanks so much George as I now have to wait another 8-9 months to start this all over again. I also greatly appreciate the Guest Spot to write your Ten Things. :hail:

Have a fantastic New Year's and I expect to be in Kansas City next year for one game and will certainly meet up with you again! :thumb:

cabletech94
12-29-2014, 07:23 AM
This was the one and ONLY reason I watched today as there was ZERO chance we would have made the playoffs no matter what any statistical chance said. This was my Christmas gift from the Chiefs! :thumb: :clap::clap::clap:

-I started the season with low expectations due to our schedule and we didn't fail to deliver early on with a loss in the very first game to the shitty Titans. After that disaster I felt 4-5 wins was realistic. DOWN CYCLE :(

- Then the Monday night blowout of New England and the start of what appeared to be a fix to all our woes. We actually began a winning streak UP CYCLE :D

- The mess that was Thursday Night in Oakland burst my bubble and basically we played ourselves out of not only a top spot in the playoffs but completely out with three straight losses. Once again, the Chiefs were the Chiefs and we completely lost control of our destiny! DOWN CYCLE FOR SURE! :deevee:

Ironically, I think our 9-7 record reflects a perfect balance of the what we have in the good and the bad of this team all season.

Good:
-Special Teams overall had a great year with a few minor flubs. Cairo must get more consistent and not miss 45-50 yarders as they may cost us a win in the future.
-Our third down defense and secondary play was so much improved from last year but we still have a few holes and it certainly showed today with Chris (Kendrick Lewis Jr) Owens

Average
-Jamaal Charles had an average year but his standards and not the good to great we are used to. Injuries, our shitty OLine and Andy Reid's play calling really held him back.
-Andy Reids coaching; it is a maddening Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde mystery of trying to guess which coach will show. His poor time management is now a joke as is he horrible press conferences.
-Dontari Poe seemed to be burnt out and he had troubles on the run this season as did our entire defense. We need DJ back so bad!

Bad:
-Our OLine was a dumpster fire and if Fisher cannot improve at all or only slightly next year, he will officially be a MAJOR bust.
-Our WR's getting no TDs or no separation EVER and so many drops especially from our supposed #1 Dwayne "No Show" Bowe
-Injuries: Losing DJ, DeVito, and Berry hurt and Berry is probably done with the Chiefs.
-Alex Smith and his unwillingness or inability to throw down field. To have nearly a ZERO threat to complete a pass beyond 20 yards is a farce in today's NFL. This is a HUGE handicap for our team and our running game. (See Demarco Murray and the Cowboys)

Thanks so much George as I now have to wait another 8-9 months to start this all over again. I also greatly appreciate the Guest Spot to write your Ten Things. :hail:

Have a fantastic New Year's and I expect to be in Kansas City next year for one game and will certainly meet up with you again! :thumb:

i wish I could give out moar REP.

Marcellus
12-29-2014, 07:28 AM
Have a great new year George!

InChiefsHeaven
12-29-2014, 08:04 AM
Great job George. Spot on....only one small point....I don't feel like we lost in week 17 last year. We got royally jobbed on the strip and defensive TD that should have ended the game. Should have never come down to succop kick.

This. The Chiefs did not lose that game last year. They had it taken from them twice. IIRC, the NFL had to apologize the next day, basically admitting that officiating gave the game to the Chargers.

lcarus
12-29-2014, 08:12 AM
9 more months til another Ten Things. FARK!

Either way...congratulations to your AFC West runnerups...I guess. What's sad is the fine line between this being a 9-7 team or a 12-4/11-5 team.

Chief Henry
12-29-2014, 08:57 AM
Good work George. I really appreciate your threads after the games. Thank you !

KCBOSS1
12-29-2014, 09:38 AM
OWENS... That was the worst beat down I've ever seen a cb take. royal had him beat by 10 yards everytime the ball was thrown to him. Even on the int... If the safety is not there he was beat by 10. He looked short and slow which is not a good combination for any game except golf

scho63
12-29-2014, 09:41 AM
OWENS... That was the worst beat down I've ever seen a cb take. royal had him beat by 10 yards everytime the ball was thrown to him. Even on the int... If the safety is not there he was beat by 10. He looked short and slow which is not a good combination for any game except golf

So true. :clap:

If your job is to play tight man at the line you have to do ONE of the two following things well;

A.) Bump and prevent your man from getting off the line for at least a second to disrupt and slow down his route or......

B.) You must be FAST enough to cover and keep up with your man running routes.

He failed big time on both counts! :shake:

chiefzilla1501
12-29-2014, 09:46 AM

Good:

Average
-Jamaal Charles had an average year by his standards and not the good to great we are used to. Injuries, our shitty OLine and Andy Reid's play calling really held him back.

Bad:

Here's the main reason for our swing from good to bad:
Chiefs went 7-4 when they convert ~50% of their third downs on offense. They end the season at 2-3 when they were somewhere around a miserable ~30%.

Chiefs lost 4 of the 7 losses with a chance to close the deal on our last offensive drive.

Gotta convert 3rd downs. Gotta seal the deal.

BlackHelicopters
12-29-2014, 10:45 AM
Thank you

GloryDayz
12-29-2014, 05:52 PM

Good:

Average

Bad:

Quality post.