PDA

View Full Version : Football Should the NFL go to a "draft lottery" option?

In58men
12-28-2014, 08:58 PM
@ProFootballTalk: Possible tanking by the Bucs to get the first pick reconfirms the need for an NFL draft lottery.

Discuss Thrower
12-28-2014, 09:02 PM
Cue SNR's Draft fix

ChiefsCountry
12-28-2014, 09:05 PM
No. Basketball - one player can transform a team overnight more than one player can in football.

vailpass
Definitely. Parity sucks.

TribalElder
Yes and luck should be redrafted

In58men
12-28-2014, 09:07 PM
I think putting all the playoff teams into one lottery wouldn't be so bad.

Teams with 0-3 wins all go into a lottery, 4-7 wins into a lottery, so on and so forth. The can't create something like this to make it even. Nothing worse then a team giving up at the end of the season. Should be competitive every single week.

GoChargers
12-28-2014, 09:15 PM
No. In fact, the NBA and NHL need to drop the lottery and adopt the NFL format. You're never going to put an end to tanking, and teams that tank have a legitimate reason to do so. Why prevent them from getting better?

In58men
12-28-2014, 09:18 PM
No. In fact, the NBA and NHL need to drop the lottery and adopt the NFL format. You're never going to put an end to tanking, and teams that tank have a legitimate reason to do so. Why prevent them from getting better?

It's not preventing them especially if the win scenarios are close like I said mentioned. Teams with 0-3 wins go into a lottery. Those kind of teams aren't far apart from eachother.

Rain Man
12-28-2014, 09:20 PM
There was a short time in the 1950s or 1940s when the first pick in the draft was a pure lottery. If I remember correctly, the regular draft started with the second pick, and the first pick was a complete bonus to a random team.

In58men
12-28-2014, 09:22 PM
There was a short time in the 1950s or 1940s when the first pick in the draft was a pure lottery. If I remember correctly, the regular draft started with the second pick, and the first pick was a complete bonus to a random team.

Son of a bitch you're old. Prayers sent.

GloucesterChief
12-28-2014, 09:33 PM

With the NHL very few talents will go straight to the NHL once drafted most spend at least a year in the minors.

Valiant
12-28-2014, 09:42 PM
No, there is a reason why certain teams in the NBA keep getting the pick.. It would be worse in the NFL.. It is one thing that the league can control.

Mav
12-28-2014, 09:59 PM
No. The bucs need this pick in the worst way.

cosmo20002
12-29-2014, 12:42 AM

1947-1958

FloridaMan88
12-29-2014, 12:50 AM
Yes because a draft lottery is a surefire way to prevent tanking…

Signed the Philadelphia 76ers.

RealSNR
12-29-2014, 12:57 AM
Cue SNR's Draft fix

THIS.

THREAD.

ENDS.

HERE.

Hootie
12-29-2014, 01:11 AM
I like the draft wheel idea. Everyone gets the #1 pick 1 time out of every 32 years.

wazu
12-29-2014, 01:18 AM
I like the draft wheel idea. Everyone gets the #1 pick 1 time out of every 32 years.

Just sitting here salivating over the sure-fire, can't miss OTs that the Chiefs could get every three decades or so.

Hootie
12-29-2014, 01:18 AM
THIS.

THREAD.

ENDS.

HERE.
Link?

TimeForWasp
12-29-2014, 01:27 AM
It's already a lottery.

My Momma always told me, "It's like a box of chocolates.
You never know what you are gonna get".

Discuss Thrower
12-29-2014, 04:38 PM
THIS.

THREAD.

ENDS.

HERE.

Link?

http://www.slingshotforums.com/attachments/2981120-jpg.2522/

Just Passin' By
12-29-2014, 04:49 PM
If you're going to use a lottery system to avoid, or lessen, tanking, you need to include all the league's team in the lottery.

32 chances for the worst record
31 chances for the second worst record
etc....

and do it for every first round pick

ILChief
12-29-2014, 04:58 PM

No. I know what will happen. Fivehead will retire and then it will magically be Denver's turn on the wheel and they will get another Elway to torture us for the next 20 years

Discuss Thrower
12-29-2014, 05:00 PM
If a lottery was deemed necessary in the NFL, I'd "flight" it with eight groups of four teams before putting in the lots for a drawing.

For example, Tampa, Jacksonville, Tennessee, and Oakland are in the first flight by virtue of NFL record from the recently concluded season. However, the lots are weighted by a metric that takes into account the strength of opponents over the last season at the very least, with the possibility of factoring in the strength of the last three seasons of opponents.

Doing this for each flight of teams can negate the effect of tanking, as well as give some unfortunate teams in terms of hard schedules relief through the draft while still making the previous season record the primary factor in determining selection order.

Or the NFL should just do what SNR proposes.

RealSNR
12-29-2014, 05:03 PM
Link?

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=280441

RealSNR
12-29-2014, 06:19 PM
If a lottery was deemed necessary in the NFL, I'd "flight" it with eight groups of four teams before putting in the lots for a drawing.

For example, Tampa, Jacksonville, Tennessee, and Oakland are in the first flight by virtue of NFL record from the recently concluded season. However, the lots are weighted by a metric that takes into account the strength of opponents over the last season at the very least, with the possibility of factoring in the strength of the last three seasons of opponents.

Doing this for each flight of teams can negate the effect of tanking, as well as give some unfortunate teams in terms of hard schedules relief through the draft while still making the previous season record the primary factor in determining selection order.

Or the NFL should just do what SNR proposes.

I honestly can't believe that Goodell, in his effort to change or fuck up or experiment with some new rule every god damn season for the purposes of "improving" the game hasn't actually thought of a rule like this that would ACTUALLY improve the game.

I said it in my thread. It was absolutely HORSESHIT that the Colts were the worst team in the NFL in 2011. Pure fucking horseshit. Any moron with a dick for a brain who was tasked with subjectively picking the actual worst teams in the NFL wouldn't give it to the Colts. You can't possibly tell me that a team like the Browns or the Rams who were floundering for years with nothing better than a 6-10 record was any worse. But because they hit rock bottom and "improved" to 4-12 or whatever it was, they get dicked out of that QB that THEY need.

Can you imagine Andrew Luck on the Browns? Now THAT would be an NFL Golden Boy story. Okay, Andrew Luck. If you're such a hot piece of ass, let's see you perform miracles with THIS wet fart of a franchise. Now that would be entertaining.

Instead, we get fucktards like Bill Cowher saying the Indianapolis Colts deserve a lot of credit for continuing to be good after Peyton Manning. Yeah, sure. Give Andrew Luck to ANY franchise, and that's what will take place.

Sweet Daddy Hate
12-29-2014, 07:47 PM
Will it piss Goodell off?

IN.